PDA

View Full Version : it's raining little Hollywood rock clubs

whynotsmile99
07-18-2009, 09:25 AM
RIP Knitting Factory.
Hopefully making room for another maternity store
Only been inside you twice, but they were nice visits

saw Ben Lee and....hmmm maybe Blackalicious there

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/07/hollywoods-knitting-factory-to-close.html

The rock ‘n’ roll continues to disappear from Hollywood Boulevard.

All-ages music venue the Knitting Factory is opting not to renew its lease at its current location and looks to shut its doors this fall, confirms the company’s CEO Morgan Margolis.

Concerts that include shows by metal act A Static Lullaby and Scottish indie rockers Frightened Rabbit are currently booked through mid-October at the venue, but barring last-minute renegotiations the Knitting Factory’s final show will be around Oct. 31, Margolis said. A representative from property manager CIM Group declined to comment, but did confirm that the club’s lease is expiring.

“Our lease is up Oct. 31,” Margolis said. “I’ve opted not to extend it. We’re closing that location, but we are not out of the L.A. market.”

Margolis said he was speaking to Pop & Hiss while inspecting a possible new location. Rumors of the Knitting Factory’s closure have persisted for more than a year. Last summer, neighbors' complaints threatened the club’s conditional use permit, which a venue needs to operate, and subjected the club to zoning hearings. The Knitting Factory was able to make its case to the city, but Margolis said the battle cost him $200,000.

Margolis said he’s been aiming to leave Hollywood since before the struggle to keep his permit began. “I’ve been looking two years now for the right space,” he said. “I’m looking all over -- downtown, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, North Hollywood, Studio City. I’ve looked as far as Alhambra.

“I don’t want the community to think that the Knitting Factory is done in Los Angeles,” Margolis said. ”I’m looking, and have a couple deals on the table. If one of these goes through, there may be a full-on lateral move and no shutdown. It may just be a week or two changeover."

But before anyone gets too optimistic, he adds, "Or it could be a year.”

With the Knitting Factory on target to exit Hollywood Boulevard, it will be the second major music-related operator to disappear from the neighborhood. Earlier this summer, Virgin closed its last remaining Virgin Megastore in Los Angeles, which was a short walk from the Knitting Factory (a Hard Rock Cafe will move in to the Virgin Megastore space).

The Knitting Factory opened its doors at 7201 Hollywood Boulevard in 2000, about a year before the official opening of the outdoor mall at the nearby intersection of Hollywood and Highland boulevards.

At the time of its opening, the Knitting Factory was in a complex that housed a movie theater, the Hollywood Entertainment Museum and a Tower Records outlet. Today, the venue shares space with a drug store, a grocery store, a gym and a shoe outlet.

The venue hosts concerts in three different rooms, and over the years has become known for booking punk, metal and underground hip-hop. The company’s first club was opened in the late ‘80s in Manhattan as a home for avant-jazz. That club has since closed, and a new Knitting Factory is set to open in Brooklyn in late August or early September, Margolis said.

Margolis said the Knitting Factory is in the process of opening a club in Reno, Nev. Knitting Factory venues also currently reside in Spokane, Wash., and Boise, Idaho. In addition to venue ownership, Margolis noted the company is launching a management firm, and its booking agency, Knitting Factory Entertainment, has recently worked tours from Mudvayne, Buckcherry and more.

“It just came to the point where we decided that the amount of money we’re losing in that location as we’re branding nationally didn’t work out for us,” Margolis said.

The Hollywood neighborhood has changed drastically since the Knitting Factory opened its doors. A Madame Tussauds Wax Museum is set to open around the corner from the club -- a tourist-friendly stretch of Hollywood Boulevard that includes a Gap, a Hooter’s, an H&M and Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. The streets surrounding the club are routinely closed for film premieres.

"The Hollywood corridor from La Brea to Highland is a nightmare," Margolis concedes. "The numbers have never been good, and the lease is finally up. I may open up a 350-capacity room somewhere and go small."

--Todd Martens

emtgreg
07-18-2009, 09:34 AM
I saw lola ray there...

it still seems wierd to me that a rock club was in a shopping mall...

frozen pilgrim
07-18-2009, 09:35 AM
aw, too bad. I went there to help some actors' gang folks with a short film back in april. it was a nice place, I'm sure some of you guys have some great memories there

Still-ill
07-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Hopefully someone will purchase it and put it back in to commission a la the Galaxy theatre

tessalasset
07-18-2009, 10:33 AM
i used to go there a ton in high school/early college. but i haven't been there in years and years. seriously what a horrible place for a venue. i feel bad for them. it just kept getting worse and worse.

emtgreg
07-18-2009, 10:37 AM
the location was really terrible, it was ok once you got inside, but I remember being in the small stage room listening to one band, and being able to see thru a random window they had, and looking right onto the stage of the bigger room...

it really was a terrible location...

woogie846
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Hopefully they'll be able to find a better location.

gaypalmsprings
07-18-2009, 11:00 AM
It's the economy.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
07-18-2009, 11:42 AM
:( i loved the knitting factory!
tis a sad day

TheWatcher
07-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Maybe it's a good thing, it was hard to line up, the shops around there complain a lot. Of course, that's like moving in next to an airport and complaining about the noise.

My daughter has been to a lot of shows there. It's been a good place for JRock bands to play.

Boourns
07-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Never saw anyone there.

vinylmartyr
07-18-2009, 05:16 PM
JXBoaD519P8

gaypalmsprings
07-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Since Halloween will be their last day, maybe they will throw a good bash.

bmack86
07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
My daughter has been to a lot of shows there. It's been a good place for JRock bands to play.

true.

tessalasset
07-19-2009, 12:52 AM
i wanna say the last two shows i went to there were the books and why? back in 2005.

JorgeC
07-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Saw PJ Harvey there, good venue, horrible location, moreso with the change in neighbors. The movie theatre that used to be there is the same one used in the movie "Thirteen". I hope they come back strong.

shakermaker113
07-19-2009, 08:08 AM
I saw mogwai there once.

tessalasset
07-19-2009, 10:37 AM
i think jeff was at that show too. or maybe it was sigur ros.

vinylmartyr
07-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Sigur Ros for the shortlist awards

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-19-2009, 12:01 PM
WHAT?!?!?!

This makes me so sad! I've been going there pretty consistently for the last 9 years, probably seen at least a hundred or more shows there. One of my favorite venues for sure. I remember the very first show I saw there was was Suicide in 2000...what an experience

Planning on seeing Dillinger 4 there in September....glad I get to say goodbye at least

blackchango
07-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Saw mathew herbert and a screening of heavy metal parking lot there.

TallGuyCM
07-19-2009, 04:48 PM
From what I can tell the Frightened Rabbit/Twilight Sad show is potentially the best show left on the schedule before the Knitting Factory closes. $15, $20 after fees.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-19-2009, 04:49 PM
i literally JUST started listening to Frightened Rabbit this week and have fallen in love with tehm. I should try to check out the show. Maybe squeeze in Chuck Ragen too.

Gonna post a list of my dearest Knitting Factory memories later as i pull them from brain

TallGuyCM
07-19-2009, 05:17 PM
i literally JUST started listening to Frightened Rabbit this week and have fallen in love with tehm. I should try to check out the show.

I only listened to Frightened Rabbit's album once last year, and thought it was ok. But I've heard from a fellow Coachella-going friend that the Twilight Sad are supposed to be incredible live, so especially for only $15 and to get to see the Knitting Factory for the first and last time that really sold me.

kroqken
10-17-2009, 03:31 PM
The only decent band I ever saw at the Knitting Factory was the Brian Jonestown Massacre. I saw Princess Superstar there but only for her looks, not for her music. Maybe the Knitting Factory can move to the old Safari Sams location on Sunset Blvd. A better suggestion would be for it to move in the San Fernando Valley, which has a major dearth of rock clubs. maybe in North Hollywood/Valley Village, Studio City or the SHerman Oaks area. Not all clubs need to be in Hollywood, after all. In addition, I hope a new Knitting Factory would book better bands, not just crappy "play to pay" punk bands.

fatbastard
10-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Anti Club is being torn down by the end of next year in order to build a strip mall.

patsfan5454
10-17-2009, 04:40 PM
SOo glad to hear everyones support for the Knit! I've been Barbacking and Bartending here since july 2005 and attending since i moved to Hollywood in 03, i'm very confident we'll be opening back up within 6 months or sooo, their are alot of good possibilities right now for us, their have been talks of buying out certain old clubs here in Hollywood, also maybe looking for a seperate building in Downtown; I am however reallllly sad to leave our current location, its brought me soooo many fond memories and soo many great opportunities to see such great artists! I got to see Prince play a surprise performance about a year ago with the blind boys from alabama, I've gotten to meet Morrissey as he was a big fan of the place and would come watch shows every couple of months, got to watch Flea and Fruiscante jam out with Omar from Mars Volta, got to see RZA and all of Wu-tang, Got to see everyone from NOFX to Lemmy, to Silversun Pickups, to Paul Oakenfold, its been a memorable venue for me I love working right in the heart of Hollywood and am gonna miss this spot dearly!

patsfan5454
10-17-2009, 04:44 PM
OO and on a realllllly sad note, we were gonna have Slayer play on our final night but a certain douche who left to Brooklyn knit wouldnt let it happen due to "sercurity concerns" which is bullshit cuz we have metal shows all the time and they are actually some of the more well behaved attendee's, they just like to headbang and get drunk, and they actually tip well too, f*ckin Bullshit right? what a bang that wouldve been to go out with, and im not even a metal fan but f*ckin Slayer! now we finish with some shitty emo, ooo well, we'll still lock the doors and drink till the sun comes up, 8 more days :(

sbessiso
10-17-2009, 06:31 PM
BOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea the place was shutting down! You guys didnt mention it to me. Needless to say our night there last Friday was magical but this just makes it even more special for me. Thank you again for being so rad, im eternally grateful that I was able to experience the place (and all 3 rooms!). You're the best tour guide in town.

I cant believe I saw Fall of Troy and Thursday there.........on shrooms :D

feather
10-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Bobby we love you and thanks for the times at the Knit. This is definitely the hardest for you, it was your home for so long...

feather
10-17-2009, 07:30 PM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/1-5.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/5.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/7-2.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/6-2.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/2-4.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/4.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/3-1.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/8-1.jpg

sbessiso
10-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I soo want to steal that BECK poster haha

feather
10-17-2009, 07:43 PM
We took it because of you!

SoulDischarge
10-17-2009, 08:58 PM
I saw some great shows at that place, including my only Boredoms show. Sucks it's shutting down. Hopefully where ever it ends up has better street parking, because Hollywood & Highland is the absolute worst place for that.

vinylmartyr
10-17-2009, 09:19 PM
There's that structure on Cherokee that's really cheap.

bmack86
10-17-2009, 09:55 PM
I wish I would have gone to the Boredoms show there. It's a tad bit legendary.

hendrixfan143
10-17-2009, 10:19 PM
i'm glad i got to go to the knitting factory last night before it closed

kroqken
10-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Nothing still playing at the Knitting Factory I even remotely want to see.

stinkbutt
10-18-2009, 03:59 PM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/featherforever/4.jpg

Were you there for Wolves In The Throne Room? If you were you deserve a gold star

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-18-2009, 04:19 PM
OO and on a realllllly sad note, we were gonna have Slayer play on our final night but a certain douche who left to Brooklyn knit wouldnt let it happen due to "sercurity concerns" which is bullshit cuz we have metal shows all the time and they are actually some of the more well behaved attendee's, they just like to headbang and get drunk, and they actually tip well too, f*ckin Bullshit right? what a bang that wouldve been to go out with, and im not even a metal fan but f*ckin Slayer! now we finish with some shitty emo, ooo well, we'll still lock the doors and drink till the sun comes up, 8 more days :(

damn, that would have been amazing! And yes, I have seen many metal acts at KF, including attending the always amazing MURDERFEST, and the audiences have been great!

kroqken
10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
I still think the Knitting Factory should take over the old Safari Sams location.