PDA

View Full Version : Last-Minute Wedding Present

PassiveTheory
07-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey, board members who are married, have been married, will get married, or have even just been to weddings, I'm kinda desperately looking for a last minute wedding present for my friend's wedding tomorrow afternoon. Nothing too absurdly expensive and something I wouldn't have to order online, but yeah, thanks in advance. (Also, I have no idea whether or not he'll be moving into his own house or if he and his wife-to-be are going to continue living with his folks, but it will probably be the latter since he's only 21, etc.).

dorkfish
07-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Cash with a note that says "For Rent"

Young blood
07-17-2009, 06:37 PM
$100 in del taco gift certificates.

Pixiessp
07-17-2009, 06:37 PM
What's your budget?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-17-2009, 06:42 PM

seriously cash is ALWAYS appreciated

...but they don't have a gift registry somewhere?

TomAz
07-17-2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.xesyork.com/images/N2151-classic_butt_plug.jpg

Pixiessp
07-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Ewwww, Tom /\

BlackSwan
07-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Lifetime membership to a swingers website.

Courtney
07-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Yes.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-17-2009, 06:52 PM
While the classic butt plug is must-have accoutrement for any household, although it may be best left up to the happy couple to choose one on their own

shakermaker113
07-17-2009, 06:53 PM
do they not have a registry? really?

BlackSwan
07-17-2009, 06:55 PM
do they not have a registry? really?

Well, they do still live with his parents.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Well, they do still live with his parents.

In that case I say let the parents be the ones to give the couple their first butt plug

real talk
07-17-2009, 07:39 PM
It is acceptable to give a wedding gift up to one year after the wedding. If they haven't registered, I'd wait to see what they mention needing when they decide if they are going to stay in the parents' home (by the way, seriously? Getting married when you don't even live on your own yet? Is there a scandalous pregnancy involved?). Also, it is my opinion that if you're giving less than $100 you shouldn't give cash. It just looks tacky.

Alchemy
07-17-2009, 07:55 PM
A gift card to Circuit City would be nice.

JebusLives
07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Related question: I have a wedding tomorrow for an aquaintence. I wasn't invited, but our mutual friend is bringing me as her date. Do I bring a gift?

Alchemy
07-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Related question: I have a wedding tomorrow for an aquaintence. I wasn't invited, but our mutual friend is bringing me as her date. Do I bring a gift?

You are the gift, Jebus.

Courtney
07-17-2009, 08:05 PM
It is acceptable to give a wedding gift up to one year after the wedding. If they haven't registered, I'd wait to see what they mention needing when they decide if they are going to stay in the parents' home (by the way, seriously? Getting married when you don't even live on your own yet? Is there a scandalous pregnancy involved?). Also, it is my opinion that if you're giving less than $100 you shouldn't give cash. It just looks tacky.

Those are good points.

And actually, the last bit is one of the many reasons why I think it's tacky to do the we-don't-want-stuff-and-we're-not-registering-so-just-give-us-money thing. Not everyone is comfortable giving cash -- especially if they can't afford to write out a big check. It's nice to give wedding guests the option of putting together a thoughtful gift that has meaning beyond its monetary value.

Of course, being thoughtful by nature requires thought. And also usually planning time.

Courtney
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM

If you are the date and were not invited, your friend should be giving a gift that's from both of you. But maybe you should call your friend just to double check.

miscorrections
07-17-2009, 08:12 PM
http://stereogum.com/img/wedding_present-santa_ana_winds.jpg

obzen
07-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Hmm,I would say get them something practical...

maybe a pair of robes/slippers w/their names engraved in them-if not,perhaps matching bathing suits for summer...:rolleyes

Fuck,I dunno.

miscorrections
07-17-2009, 08:25 PM
You don't engrave fabric. And I would be mildly confused if I got married and someone got me slippers, they're something moms give as a practical Christmas gift.

roberto73
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks for this. This is exactly what I thought of when I read the thread title. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered the actual contents.

obzen
07-17-2009, 08:35 PM
You don't engrave fabric. And I would be mildly confused if I got married and someone got me slippers, they're something moms give as a practical Christmas gift.

Where the fuck is your idea?

RotationSlimWang
07-17-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.xesyork.com/images/N2151-classic_butt_plug.jpg

My dad gave each of his friend's a buttplug as a birthday present any time said friend was having a birthday party he was expected to attend.

captncrzy
07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Order them a gift online from Crate and Barrel and have it shipped to their house. There's nothing more exciting than coming home to a Crate and Barrel box.

We're registering through Travelers Joy for our wedding rather than at Target or some shit; we'd rather start our marriage on a nice honeymoon rather than get another toaster we don't need.

menikmati
07-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Cash is not a gift.

shakermaker113
07-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I know - give them a lock of your hair. they'll appreciate the sacrifice you made.

Pixiessp
07-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Superior post. :)

BROKENDOLL
07-17-2009, 10:32 PM
How about a really nice bottle of wine with a gift card/certificate attached for dinner at a really nice restaurant they normally wouldn't go to? Or, maybe a certificate for a 1-2 nite stay at a hotel that's close to home, but, "not home?"
If that's out of your budget, are they having a reception somewhere with friends, family, and guests? Are you good at taking pictures? You could attend the reception with a camera and share in the celebration while catching candid wedding shots of their friends and family enjoying their special day, then present it to them in an album later.
Then again, they are young...How about the book, "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus?" May as well help guide them through those early years of having to learn that shit the hard way. LOL

emtgreg
07-17-2009, 10:37 PM
A Subscription to "Divorcee" Magazine.

Possibly a gift card to "DIYDIVORCE.COM"

Even better if these really exist.

BROKENDOLL
07-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Birth Control?

Sleepingrock
07-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Condoms
lots and lots of condoms

ivankay
07-17-2009, 11:22 PM
A couple of wedding i have been to, the bride and groom say the pictures and videos i take are their present. Along with the butt plug, maybe you could get in a little dj time.

justinaqui
07-18-2009, 06:12 AM
pair of nice heavy scotch glasses.

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 06:23 AM
I got a lot of dish towels at my last minute wedding. (A check for less than $100 is tacky? Seriously?)

TomAz
07-18-2009, 06:32 AM

seriously Lee this is the correct answer.

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 06:53 AM
SRSLY

comiddle
07-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Cash. It's always appreciated and can go toward those things they didn't want to register for (like a butt plug).

JustSteve
07-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Order them a gift online from Crate and Barrel and have it shipped to their house. There's nothing more exciting than coming home to a Crate and Barrel box.

We're registering through Travelers Joy for our wedding rather than at Target or some shit; we'd rather start our marriage on a nice honeymoon rather than get another toaster we don't need.

my friend did that for his honeymoon in hawaii. i bought him a bunch of drinks at the hotel bar. other options were snorkeling trips, massages, bike rides, paying for a portion of the hotel cost or airfare, etc. it was one of the coolest ideas i had seen for a wedding couple to use for a registry.

JustSteve
07-18-2009, 08:43 AM
buy them the movie "revolutionary road", it's good prep work.

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 08:52 AM
buy them the movie "revolutionary road", it's good prep work.
That movie depressed me for 2 weeks. I enjoyed the book 10 times more.

Alligator Bogaloo
07-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Oh yeah... you're gonna get another toaster.

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 09:09 AM
I think I have an irrational fear of weddings and house decorating. There's got to be some exotic name for that phobia because whatever it is, I definitely have it.

All I can think of to get would be things I want, like really nice silverware or a whole bunch of nice ceramic cereal/soup bowls. You can never have too many bowls! Man, I need to go shopping.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-18-2009, 09:13 AM
I am pretty sure I could have too many bowls

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Well, send some over to me then.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-18-2009, 10:10 AM
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH ALL THESE BOWLS

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 10:17 AM
We eat lots of cereal in my house cuz I don't cook. :p

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Need spoons too.

captncrzy
07-18-2009, 10:28 AM
my friend did that for his honeymoon in hawaii. i bought him a bunch of drinks at the hotel bar. other options were snorkeling trips, massages, bike rides, paying for a portion of the hotel cost or airfare, etc. it was one of the coolest ideas i had seen for a wedding couple to use for a registry.

Yep. A really good friend of mine is getting married in the fall. They've been living together for awhile and really don't need anything to start their home life off. But, they work their collective ASSES off and haven't had a vacation in over a year. The solution was to register through marriott.com. They're going to Mexico for a week and you can buy them segments of their honeymoon; breakfast in bed, a nice bottle of wine, dinner, a massage, snorkeling, etc. Knowing how hard they both work and how little time they have together (he travels for work a lot) makes the breakfast in bed purchase I made one of the best wedding gifts I've ever given.

captncrzy
07-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Oh yeah... you're gonna get another toaster.

Great. I'll invite you over for toast.