PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Rosetta Stone?

JewFace
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
I have a discount available on Rosetta Stone software which expires in August. I want to learn a new language (either Spanish, French, Italian or Hindi). Unfortunately, my school/work schedule in the fall and beyond won't really allow for a language class and how much does one really learn in a class setting anyway?

Anyone have experience with Rosetta Stone? I'm not looking to become to UN translator or anything, just have a very basic grasp of the language.

bug on your lip
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Randy used it and can speak Pot now

Egull
07-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I have a discount available on Rosetta Stone software which expires in August. I want to learn a new language (either Spanish, French, Italian or Hindi). Unfortunately, my school/work schedule in the fall and beyond won't really allow for a language class and how much does one really learn in a class setting anyway?

Anyone have experience with Rosetta Stone? I'm not looking to become to UN translator or anything, just have a very basic grasp of the language.

I've heard really good things, but I have never used it personally. My brother is learning French from nintendo ds, and its surprisingly working a little bit.

chairmenmeow47
07-14-2009, 12:42 PM

if you don't have the schedule for a language class, just curious, how are you going to have the schedule for a language program? my experience with language software is that i don't have the time/energy to devote so it isn't worth it. software is just a tool, you can learn a language using software, going to a class, speaking with people, but whatever you do, you need to work on it every day or it's not going to work, whatever it is you do. language is considered by some to be more difficult than math because at least with math there's some logic. just keep that in mind before you spend some money. most people think buying software or a book is going to do the trick, but you really need to have the time & energy to devote to learning if it's going to work for you at all. best of luck :)

faxman75
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
torrent

fatbastard
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM

This may be obvious, but can you clearly communicate with your long distance relatives Cara de Judío?

gaypalmsprings
07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Any product that advertises SO MUCH probably is NOT worth your time & money. If you do buy junk like that, try a secondary market (ebay, Craigslist, etc).

gaypalmsprings
07-14-2009, 12:52 PM
User-Submitted Reviews of Rosetta Stone Language Software and Testimonials

I really like the software, but I do not like Rosetta Stone's licensing policy. In fact, I think it might be an FTC violation. The problem is that they prevent you from selling/transferring your license. I owned a copy of Rosetta Stone for several years and asked them about upgrading to the latest version. They did not have an upgrade... told me I would have to purchase a new copy. So, I did... thinking that I would be able to put my old version on eBay... recoup at least a small portion of my initial purchase cost. It turns out that eBay removed my listing, because Rosetta Stone told them to remove it (because the license does not allow me to sell my copy). This is restraint of trade. I would never do business with these people again, and I do not recommend them, just for this very reason.

William Stewart, June 23, 2009

I am disappointed. It's not very good. The software is buggy (hangs a lot on OS X). The learning is tedious and slow. They need to do a better job studying how people learn, and give them words and sentences that are more useful. For example, after many hours I know how to say "egg" in French really well. I can also talk about apples and bikes. But, I can't yet say "My name is Bob" nor can I ask you your name or where you live.

Luke, June 20, 2009

For Dutch, levels 1&2 (version 2) weren't bad for gaining a basic grounding in the language. Not great, but better than nothing, considering how hard it is to find Dutch-language resources. Level 2 actually became quite challenging towards the end. However, level 3 (version 3) is just plain awful and a complete waste of money. For some reason, the company decided to completely dumb the program down. After finishing level 2 with some very conversationally driven sentences, level 4 is back to useless sentences like "She stands under the shower". This would be like going from begining algebra back to simple addition.

TM, May 10, 2009

Rosetta Stone is the most aggravating language learning system I have ever tried. Everything is based on some chinese person saying a word or words while you see a photo or group of photos. You never hear the english equivalent to let you know which photo is to be compared with the word or words that the Chinese person speaks. The companion CD's are much worse, as you just listen to someone speaking Chinese with no idea of what they are saying. This has to be the worse language leaning system on the market

Earl Branch, April 15, 2009

Rosetta Stone is awful. I spent hours learning basic Hebrew and when I tested it on a native i realized that I had completely misconstrued the grammar based on the "one picture, one phrase" approach. Don't waste your money!

Jaybird, March 25, 2009

After being charged 551.70 for a Rosetta Stone product I never ordered or wanted,said product being sent to another state I have had a terrible time getting my money back.Customer service has been unhelpful,and rude to myself and my bank.I have been given the run around and been hung up on.

Colleen, February 13, 2009

Doesn't measure up to irs claims. Extremely limited in the depth and scope of the lessons. Terrible customer service, I was hung up on, insulted, and put on hold for hours many times. The packaging was so bad, that I had to wipe glue off every disc! On top of it all, I completed the entire 3 level program in just 2 weeks. I did not learn enough german to feel as if I am anywhere close to being able to speak well with a native. Claiming that the CIA uses this is a huge stretch. Nobody could become a good speaker using only rosetta stone. And worst of all, once you open the packaging, you are not allowed to sell, or give it away. You are literally stuck with it. DONT BUY IT! DONT MAKE MY SAME MISTAKE!

Jack, February 10, 2009

This software is not design for the mobility-impaired! Boycott it until they do something about it!

Wendy Ballard, January 7, 2009

Sleepingrock
07-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Torrent it....its cheaper and you can select anytttthiiingggggg you wish!!!

chairmenmeow47
07-14-2009, 12:55 PM
criminals

disgustipated
07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
aaannnyytiiiinggg?

Young blood
07-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I use the language of love when I travel. It works every time. It also helps that im dashingly handsome.

MissingPerson
07-14-2009, 12:59 PM
This software is not design for the mobility-impaired! Boycott it until they do something about it!

Wendy Ballard, January 7, 2009

!?!

Young blood
07-14-2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.helenkellersimulator.com/index.html

marooko
07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
i have used it, and own it. it is pretty damn awesome. get it. be ready to not get any help though. but then again, when did mom/dad explain every single word to you? you just pick things up. thats the biggest complaint ive heard about. that it doesnt teach things like "the", "of", etc.

chairmenmeow47
07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
i have a feeling it's probably a lot easier to do something like this on your own if you're learning a latin based language and not chinese or something.

i had a friend who had fantastic luck learning french through berlitz in semi-private classes, but boy-howdy is that shit expensive. i'd love to afford to do that someday.

BROKENDOLL
07-14-2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.helenkellersimulator.com/index.html
Youngblood, just when I want to abolish you, you turn around and pull this shit! LMFAO

JewFace
07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback, people. Don't know about Torrents; wouldn't you have to have a unique access code/license code or something?

Ivy, my school schedule is pretty much mapped out for me already over the next few years. Between classes, rehearsals and a part time job my free time will be limited to weekends and weeknight hours during which classes are not traditionally held. I still think I could fit this in.

Marooko, which language were you studying and had you had any previous experience learning this language before using RS?

faxman75
07-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Torrents...... Just go do a search on demonoid or the pirate bay. Download. It's not that difficult.

chairmenmeow47
07-14-2009, 01:41 PM
i think you could get a basic understanding of the language, such as the placement of words and basic nouns and such, but it's going to be really hard to make any of it stick or make use of that knowledge without serious studying.

i know this cause i've tried several times myself, lol. i did passively listen to german audio cds a lot before i went to switzerland which helped in the short term (i learned to recognize certain key travel words & numbers), but none of it really stuck.

are there any like language clubs at your school? if they are lax and just a lunch n' learn type of thing, that might be a good thing to try to get some tips on what would work for someone with your time constraints and they could also help by having small conversations with you.

i'll stop being pessimistic now and i just wish you the best of luck :)

marooko
07-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Portuguese. Considering it's pretty close to Spanish, it's not too bad. I've been slacking on it, but I remember like 90% of what I did. And I haven't touched it in months. I pulled it out again, just need to get to it. I'll probably to Latin next, so I can stay close to what I know already. mainly so i get the feel for learning another language. Then I may go on to something else.

Sending you a PM.

Probably my favorite thing about it, is that they use people who's native tongue is the one you're learning. So you get a real feeling for what things should sound like.

Omar1
07-14-2009, 02:01 PM
http://mangolanguage.com/

bug on your lip
07-14-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.seattlepi.com/dayart/20010511/mango11.jpg

sbessiso
07-14-2009, 03:02 PM
cSb1fGLPo7A

M Sparks
07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Torrents...... Just go do a search on demonoid or the pirate bay. Download. It's not that difficult.

Dude...it's right here...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Rosetta_Stone_BW.jpeg

higgybaby23
07-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Just learn music, it's the only universal language.

MissingPerson
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I think you'll find, higgy, that's actually interpretive dance.

higgybaby23
07-14-2009, 03:40 PM
I think you'll find, higgy, that's actually interpretive dance.

This day needs lolcats...
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-interpretive-dance-cat.jpg

kitt kat
07-14-2009, 06:14 PM
from what i know about it, it teaches you in the same way children learn their primary languages. it's not grammar intensive, but vocab intensive. good if you need to know how to say "fish" or "girl." terrible if you need to say, "Can you show me where......is?" or, "I lived in New York as a child" or basically anything you'd need to actually say to people.

that's why i like language classes---i need that grammar instruction...conjugating verbs&shit.

gaypalmsprings
07-14-2009, 07:28 PM
http://ephemerist.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lol-o-hai-i-upgraded-ur-language.jpg