PDA

View Full Version : 'iTunes Essentials: Music From Coachella'

Thief of Fire
07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't know if this has been posted about already but a couple weeks ago iTunes added a Coachella-themed 'Essentials' playlist

Live and Let Die 3:12 Paul McCartney & Wings
There, There 5:23 Radiohead
Let's Go Crazy 4:39 Prince & The Revolution
I Wanna Be Your Dog (Remastered) 3:12 The Stooges
The Hand That Feeds 3:31 Nine Inch Nails
God Put a Smile upon Your Face 4:57 Coldplay
Guerrilla Radio 3:26 Rage Against the Machine
Hung Up 5:37 Madonna
By the Way 3:36 Red Hot Chili Peppers
So What'cha Want 3:37 Beastie Boys
The End of the World 3:43 The Cure
Seven Nation Army 3:51 The White Stripes
Rehab 3:33 Amy Winehouse
Dance Me to the End of Love 4:38 Leonard Cohen
All My Life 4:22 Foo Fighters
Here Comes Your Man 3:21 Pixies
Somebody Told Me 3:17 The Killers
Precious 4:06 Depeche Mode
Gold Digger (feat. Jamie Foxx) 3:27 Kanye West
Sexx Laws 3:39 Beck
Machine Gun 4:43 Portishead
Stop 4:14 Jane's Addiction
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris 2:30 Morrissey
Hidden Place 5:28 Björk
Stop Crying Your Heart Out 5:03 Oasis
Paper Planes 3:23 M.I.A.
Krafty 4:33 New Order
Just Like Honey 3:02 The Jesus and Mary Chain
Island in the Sun 3:20 Weezer
Taylor 3:58 Jack Johnson
Steady As She Goes 3:35 The Raconteurs
Keep the Car Running 3:29 Arcade Fire
Love Is Noise 5:27 The Verve
Only Shallow 4:17 My Bloody Valentine
Cannonball 3:33 The Breeders
One Big Holiday 5:21 My Morning Jacket
Porcelain 4:01 Moby
Bela Lugosi's Dead 9:33 Bauhaus
Do You Realize?? 3:32 The Flaming Lips
The Sound of Settling 2:12 Death Cab for Cutie
Do You Want to 3:34 Franz Ferdinand
No One Knows 4:38 Queens of the Stone Age
PDA 4:59 Interpol
Crazy 2:58 Gnarls Barkley
Run 5:56 Snow Patrol
Technologic 4:44 Daft Punk
Natural's Not In It 3:06 Gang Of Four
Well Thought Out Twinkles 4:02 Silversun Pickups
North American Scum 5:26 LCD Soundsystem
You Got Me 4:19 The Roots & Erykah Badu
Last Nite 3:13 The Strokes
Let Forever Be 3:56 The Chemical Brothers
Oblivion 5:46 Mastodon
Ms. Fat Booty 3:43 Mos Def
I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor 2:55 Arctic Monkeys
Wolf Like Me 4:39 TV On the Radio
Helicopter 3:40 Bloc Party
Kids 5:02 MGMT
10. A.M. Automatic 2:59 The Black Keys
Judith 4:07 A Perfect Circle
White Winter Hymnal 2:27 Fleet Foxes
Light & Day / Reach for the Sun 3:21 The Polyphonic Spree
Up the Bracket 2:38 The Libertines
D.A.N.C.E. 3:29 Justice
Hate to Say I Told You So 3:19 The Hives
King Without a Crown 3:42 Matisyahu
Bandages 3:32 Hot Hot Heat
Starálfur 6:46 Sigur Rós
She Moves In Her Own Way 2:49 The Kooks
Young Folks 4:39 Peter Bjorn and John
Insistor 4:20 Tapes 'n Tapes
Get Free 2:06 The Vines
Sometime Around Midnight 5:03 The Airborne Toxic Event
Take It Off 2:42 The Donnas
We Are Rockstars 3:48 Does It Offend You, Yeah?

matsuolost
07-10-2009, 04:45 PM
if its not live i dont care

shakermaker113
07-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Stop Crying Your Heart Out 5:03 Oasis

because if you're going to include an Oasis song, THAT is the one to include... sigh.

how much do you wanna bet the songs were automatically selected from a list of band names?

MissingPerson
07-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, most of those are the lamest example of each band.

Boourns
07-11-2009, 07:53 AM
because if you're going to include an Oasis song, THAT is the one to include... sigh.

how much do you wanna bet the songs were automatically selected from a list of band names?

It's one of the few tolerable ones they've released since 1995, though.

For the record, Keep the Car Running is only the 9th best track from Neon Bible.

MissingPerson
07-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Still better than Windowsill.

Although having another look through it, some of the other picks are pretty solid. There There, Wolf Like Me, Insistor etc...

seandlr
07-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry MP, but keep the car running is not better than windowsill<3

Boourns
07-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Neon bible < windowsill < keep the car running < the rest

MissingPerson
07-11-2009, 07:04 PM
That stupid line about the Night being still/ Taking the pill makes me want to slap each and every one of those people in the chops. And then run away, because there's lots of them, and they're big.

But Christ, just thinking about it - one person wrote it, and six others said it was okay. That's how Nazi Germany happened, people.

:nono

bartelby
07-11-2009, 07:18 PM
if its not live i dont care

i agree

it is a good selection of songs though...

TickleMeElmo
07-11-2009, 07:37 PM
There's barely any Sahara acts in there. Boo.

TomAz
07-11-2009, 07:52 PM

This is accurate. And I like 'keep the car running'. I mean it's derivative but it's derivative of stuff I like so I can enjoy it.

MissingPerson
07-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I like Neon Bible just because that thing in the elevator was great. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxef8AfVQg) To me, another fine example of the album's main flaw, that the live versions were infinitely more interesting than the slightly flat studio recordings.

Also, I am a fool for an interactive video in which Win Butler is totally my bitch. (http://www.beonlineb.com/)

seandlr
07-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I like Neon Bible just because that thing in the elevator was great. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxef8AfVQg) To me, another fine example of the album's main flaw, that the live versions were infinitely more interesting than the slightly flat studio recordings.

Also, I am a fool for an interactive video in which Win Butler is totally my bitch. (http://www.beonlineb.com/)

I agree. I thought the magazine ripping was genious, but I don't know what to make of Win being rather rude to the man that was in the elevator with them

seandlr
07-11-2009, 08:37 PM

I think I would place My Body is a Cage as number 1

MissingPerson
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I agree. I thought the magazine ripping was genious, but I don't know what to make of Win being rather rude to the man that was in the elevator with them

Makes more sense in the full video:

y-5XK-2Ufd4

Which I won't spoil if you haven't seen it, but suffice it to say the band are in something of a hurry and they need to get past the guy urgently or several hundred people will get cranky and French.

Win does say sorry to the guy as he goes though, rest assured.

TomAz
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I think I would place My Body is a Cage as number 1

1. No Cars Go
2. Intervention
3t. (Antichrist Television Blues)
3t. Black Wave/Bad Vibrations
5. Black Mirror
6. My Body is a Cage
7. Keep the Car Running
8. Ocean of Noise
9. The Well and the Lighthouse
10. Neon Bible
11. Windowsill

TomAz
07-11-2009, 08:55 PM
also, Windowsill is better than at least 4 tracks on Funeral.

MissingPerson
07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
There arent enough pixels on the internet to properly represent how much I disagree with that statement, Tom.

Still-ill
07-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Ya think? Which songs?

matsuolost
07-11-2009, 09:08 PM
petition to ban tomaz

Boourns
07-11-2009, 09:09 PM
1. No Cars Go
2. Intervention
3. Black Wave/Bad Vibrations
4. Black Mirror
5. My Body is a Cage
6. The Well and the Lighthouse
7. Ocean of Noise
8. (Antichrist Television Blues)
9. Keep the Car Running
10. Windowsill
11. Neon Bible

TomAz
07-12-2009, 06:51 AM
I like Windowsill better than I like Une Annee Sans Lumiere, In the Backseat, Kettles, and maybe even Haiti.

MissingPerson
07-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Whoa. More than Haiti?

I mean, the others are kind of a matter of taste but... Haiti?

I dunno. I just don't like it. It's too repetitive, it doesn't really do anything, and the lyrics are really clumsy. I like it better than Broken Window, and the version of it in Miroir Noir was cool, but otherwise it sticks out like a dull sore thumb on Neon Bible and it's a waste of a song live.

Windowsill, to me, is what I think Sbessiso imagines an Arcade Fire show to sound like. It's dreary and forced.

sbessiso
07-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Windowsill, to me, is what I think Sbessiso imagines an Arcade Fire show to sound like.

Please explain.

edit

Ah I see, dreary and forced

TomAz
07-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Whoa. More than Haiti?

I dunno. I just don't like it. It's too repetitive, it doesn't really do anything, and the lyrics are really clumsy. I like it better than Broken Window, and the version of it in Miroir Noir was cool, but otherwise it sticks out like a dull sore thumb on Neon Bible and it's a waste of a song live.

Windowsill, to me, is what I think Sbessiso imagines an Arcade Fire show to sound like. It's dreary and forced.

ok maybe Haiti is pushing it a bit. But I don't think Windowsill is as bad as you describe. And it's certainly not anywhere near as bad as the dreary snoozefests that are "In the Backseat" or "Kettles", or the meaningless and meandering lyrical trainwreck that is "Une Annee Sans Lumiere". There's a reason they sing part of that song in French -- in English it would be too embarassing.

MissingPerson
07-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Please explain.

edit

Ah I see, dreary and forced

Yeah, it sounded like bitching when I wrote it first, so threw in the edit. Wasn't meant to be a diss.

dc3VgUtTTZQ

It's not a bad song, it's just one of their weakest and it hasn't really developed into anything more interesting over time. And live, it just sucks all the momentum out of the show.

I think the sentiment is probably sincere, but lyrically and musically it sounds to me like a really annoying bearded arts student wrote it and they're capable of far better.

MissingPerson
07-12-2009, 08:41 AM
And it's certainly not anywhere near as bad as the dreary snoozefests that are "In the Backseat" or "Kettles", or the meaningless and meandering lyrical trainwreck that is "Une Annee Sans Lumiere". There's a reason they sing part of that song in French -- in English it would be too embarassing.

Aw.

To me In The Backseat is the most affecting song on the record, you ash-hearted bastard.

summerkid
07-13-2009, 07:36 AM
I agree with Tom a lot of the time i just stop listening to funeral before in the backseat comes on.

I'm surprised to see how much you guys like black mirror and dislike keep the car running.

Boourns
07-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Whoa. More than Haiti?

Epic fail. Haiti and Backseat are two of the best Arcade Fire tracks. Kettles and "French Song" are meh spots on an otherwise amazing album, of course.

Boourns
07-13-2009, 08:11 AM
I agree with Tom a lot of the time i just stop listening to funeral before in the backseat comes on.

I'm surprised to see how much you guys like black mirror and dislike keep the car running.

Because Black Mirror is a good song, while Keep the Car Running is pedestrian.

Boourns
07-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Yeah, it sounded like bitching when I wrote it first, so threw in the edit. Wasn't meant to be a diss.

dc3VgUtTTZQ

It's not a bad song, it's just one of their weakest and it hasn't really developed into anything more interesting over time. And live, it just sucks all the momentum out of the show.

I think the sentiment is probably sincere, but lyrically and musically it sounds to me like a really annoying bearded arts student wrote it and they're capable of far better.

I like the sentiment behind House of Cards, but that's another song that kills the momentum of the show whenever it is played live.

MissingPerson
07-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Kettles clicked for me out of the blue one day, French song I didn't get at all until I saw a youtube of them playing it.

mxrDUKXYXq4

As for KTCR, it's fun and I like it but it's very straight up and straightforward, and I got my fill of it because it was the song they played for talkshows or whatever all the time.

Black Mirror does a good job of winding me up for the rest of the album and there's just a lot more to it. Plus I like the kind of weird-ass circus music feel to it. Reminds me of Silent Hill which is always a good thing.

Boourns
07-13-2009, 08:28 AM
The weird-ass circus music elevates the song to serious baller status.

MissingPerson
07-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Plus, I associate it with all the the crazy sound effects and crazy preacher ladies yelling at me from the stage.

Boourns
07-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Crazy preachers are best enjoyed with farting sounds dubbed in.