PDA

View Full Version : ACL reconstructive Surgery

cansei de ser sexme
07-10-2009, 08:43 AM
going through this in like 3 hrs. Not terribly excited. I do get oxycontin however so that'll make things interesting. Anyone gone through this?

marooko
07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
who insures you?

oh and, you'll be thankful in a few months.

sames44
07-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I had it done in 97 - I had to have my medial meniscus removed at the same time as the ACL reconstruction. The recovery wasn't as bad as I had imagined, I was in physical therapy 2 days later. You can PM me if you have any questions, cansei.

real talk
07-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I had a cadaver graft. The recovery time is faster than when they mess with your quad. It was the best thing ever to not have to worry about my knee just suddenly geeking out out of nowhere. That shit hurt.

sames44
07-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I had a cadaver graft. The recovery time is faster than when they mess with your quad. It was the best thing ever to not have to worry about my knee just suddenly geeking out out of nowhere. That shit hurt.

That's what led to my meniscus disintegrating. They used part of one of my hamstrings tendons, and it wasn't bad - I didn't use my prescription pain meds (not a huge fan of those) all I needed was my prescription anti-inflammatories.

cansei de ser sexme
07-10-2009, 09:29 AM
who insures you?

oh and, you'll be thankful in a few months.

Aetna through my dad's work. It is odd, I am feeling barely any pain right now but yeah it does randomly twist in an odd way which is really painful.

I did it in basketball. We were playing in some tournament on a linoleum floor and the bottom half of my leg stayed planted and the top half kept rolling along.

cansei de ser sexme
07-10-2009, 09:34 AM

They didnt want to do that with me because I am young so they were afraid I would go out and play basketball too soon and tear the cadaver. I think I am getting it taken from the patella tendon.

How fast is recovery going to be? my doctor says 6 months but I have heard different from other people. also in how long will I be able to swim because my family is going on vacation to a lake in montana on aug 3 and it will be useless if i cant swim. thats like 3 weeks and a couple of days from today.

marooko
07-10-2009, 09:40 AM
swimming should be fine. it eliminates a lot of weight. just be sure not to over exert yourself.

real talk
07-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't know if you'll be able to swim. I can't remember when the stitches came out. I am a giant baby and it took me a couple months before I could walk without crutches. Make sure you do your physical therapy, it's hard but if you don't do it your leg will atrophy.

JustSteve
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
is oxycontin really necessary for a skinny teenager? geez.

cansei de ser sexme
07-10-2009, 10:17 AM
i am not the skinniest teen. I am 6'5" and 210 lbs

kitt kat
07-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Awwww no dead people parts for you.

marooko
07-10-2009, 10:51 AM
i have dead people parts.....

JSam67
07-10-2009, 11:30 AM
They used part of one of my hamstrings tendons, and it wasn't bad - I didn't use my prescription pain meds (not a huge fan of those) all I needed was my prescription anti-inflammatories.

Hamstring tendon for me too, way back in 2001. Been great ever since. Hated that rehab, though, ugh.

sames44
07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
High five, JS.
Do all of you still have your hardware? My femoral screw started backing out, had to get that removed. Otherwise no problems, I don't regret it at all.

sbessiso
07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I thought this was about Austin City Limits...

amyzzz
07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Are you all athletes or do you just have unfortunate family genes?

real talk
07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I tore mine in a skiing wipeout.

I don't have a pin.Is that part of ACL replacement?

TomAz
07-10-2009, 03:41 PM

their lineup could use reconstructive surgery.

marooko
07-10-2009, 03:42 PM
i tore mine in a chess game.

sames44
07-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I tore mine running downhill

RT - I had 2 screws, 1 in my femur and 1 in my tibia to anchor the graft in place (until the tunnels filled in with new bone)

JSam67
07-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Ha, Tom, agreed, that ACL lineup is ugly.

High five, JS.
Do all of you still have your hardware? My femoral screw started backing out, had to get that removed. Otherwise no problems, I don't regret it at all.

I haven't had any problems. Tore mine senior year of high school basketball and I recovered well enough to play a couple years of college football.

vogina
07-10-2009, 04:55 PM
i am not the skinniest teen. I am 6'5" and 210 lbs

you're a monster!

BROKENDOLL
07-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Fuck, I feel like I'm in a thread talking about Young Frankenstein! Geez, I've never had a broken bone in my body!

WizardIsAboutToDie
07-10-2009, 05:21 PM
They didnt want to do that with me because I am young so they were afraid I would go out and play basketball too soon and tear the cadaver. I think I am getting it taken from the patella tendon.

How fast is recovery going to be? my doctor says 6 months but I have heard different from other people. also in how long will I be able to swim because my family is going on vacation to a lake in montana on aug 3 and it will be useless if i cant swim. thats like 3 weeks and a couple of days from today.

I think it's cool you are posting about your surgery. Interesting to hear your and everybody else's thoughts/experiences.

So how did it go? Where did you have it done? I would definitely go pretty easy if you end up going to the lake, although you should be fine to go. Unlikely you'll even be taking pain meds by that time.

Pixiessp
07-10-2009, 07:03 PM

So did I. :rotfl

rskapcat
07-10-2009, 07:26 PM
i tore mine in a chess game.

Is that reference to Nerds In Paradise? If so, high five.

cansei de ser sexme
07-11-2009, 03:02 AM
The procedure went well but now the nerve block of my leg that they did is wearing off. It is three in the morning and i am laying in bed posting from my ipod in crazy fuckin pain. I think they used screws that will dissolve. I cant get out of bed so when i need to piss i call my mom upstairs haha. It isnt oxycontin that i got. They basically said it is like 2x vicodin with no tylenol.

cansei de ser sexme
07-11-2009, 03:10 AM
The brace comes off in two days but still then i am just sitting and doing nothing. My mom thought that the drugs said take four a day so she thought it was every 6 hours. Well it ends up it says every 4 hours not 4 a day. So for like 2 hours earlier today i was in severe pain waiting to take it.

cansei de ser sexme
07-11-2009, 05:11 PM
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5500/photo28.jpg

OWWWWWWWWWWWWW

obzen
07-11-2009, 05:18 PM
:thu

WizardIsAboutToDie
07-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Elevate that leg!

How is it feeling?

real talk
07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5500/photo28.jpg

OWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Poor Cansei De Ser Sexme. Hang in there.

cansei de ser sexme
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Elevate that leg!

How is it feeling?

I have been elevating it but for some reason that makes it really painful. so I am alternating.

cansei de ser sexme
07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I am just going to say......

I haven't taken a dump in 5 days...

am i going to explode?

obzen
07-14-2009, 05:24 PM
:poo
:thu

WizardIsAboutToDie
07-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Mix in some Metamucil, stat! Your first return to action might be a little, ahem, rough.

How much vicodin are you guzzling?

boarderwoozel3
07-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Fack, hope your recovery is speedy and event-free.

I was curtailed by patella tendinitis for a few months and it sucked ass. I can't imagine full reconsructive surgery.

JustSteve
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I am just going to say......

I haven't taken a dump in 5 days...

am i going to explode?

prune juice, seriously. i have surgery about once a year and after a few days if the pipes aren't working i just down some of that stuff and within an hour or so i am good to go, literally.

amyzzz
07-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Strawberries or raisins are good too.

psycobetabuckdown
07-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Man, I feel like I'm going through deja vu reading this thread. I'm in my fourth month since the surgery.

I hate to break it to you, but you're probably not going to be in good swimming shape in three weeks. Unless your doctor is really liberal and doesn't make you wear a brace. But you might be able to get away with light swimming if you're careful.

Also, if you're old enough, make sure you sell the rest of your vicodin and get it renewed because you definitely won't be needing the renewals.

edit:
i had a meniscectomy though and you don't seem to have had one, so I don't know how that factors in to the recovery

cansei de ser sexme
07-15-2009, 05:20 PM
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4549/photo29h.jpg

my mom wont let me have the vicodin any more. she says i dont need it (which i really dont).

also for the length of the incision on the side of my leg going down like 3 inchs I cannot feel anything still. did they eff up and cut nerves? will that heal a bit?

WizardIsAboutToDie
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
my mom wont let me have the vicodin any more. she says i dont need it (which i really dont).

also for the length of the incision on the side of my leg going down like 3 inchs I cannot feel anything still. did they eff up and cut nerves? will that heal a bit?[/QUOTE]

Hard to tell from the pic, is that the incision from the patella tendon harvest site? Sometimes more incisions are needed. Did you have meniscal repair? Do you know what type of fixation they used for the graft?

Small sensory nerve branches do get cut, usually normal sensation returns over several wks. Even if some numbness persists, it usually is not a big deal, or so I am told

cansei de ser sexme
07-15-2009, 06:31 PM
there is only one incision and then above the knee two small scabs that idk if they are part of the surgery. The meniscus wasnt repaired. The doctor said that the ACL was too long and skinny because of how tall I am.

real talk
07-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Those two small scabs are where wire was inserted to stretch up your skin. I have the same scars. My physical terrorist told me to push on the scars to make sure they didn't stick out too far and as an example he pushed his finger full force into the longest one and it got all indented and he was like...um whoops and now I have a little divot in my skin like the inverse of a raised scar.

Find the vicodin and mail them to me. Blame burglars.

psycobetabuckdown
07-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Shouldn't you be asking your doctor/physical therapist these questions?

Yeah you might have some permanent numbness but I don't think it would be the whole three inch incision. It doesn't sound like they "effed up."

I'm a grown-ass man and my mom kept the vicodin bottle away from me because for some reason she thought just having the highly addictive pills in front of me would somehow encourage me to turn to a life of drug dependence and downward spiral into deep depression and alliteration.

cansei de ser sexme
07-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I am going to the doctor on tuesday to get stitches out and such. I will ask the same questions there I just didnt think any of them needed to be immediately answered so i thought i would get an opinion here then get the for sure answer on tuesday.

WizardIsAboutToDie
07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Tall, skinny people often have knee anatomy that puts the ACL at higher risk of being ruptured.

When do you start PT?

cansei de ser sexme
07-17-2009, 11:31 AM
i will find out on tuesday.