PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering

mindsy
07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Any body volunteer this year, what was it like, was it worth it, did you get to see the stuff you wanted.
etc etc

humanoid
07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I've volunteered my time often over the years and it was always worth it. Sometimes it has been really relaxing and enjoyable, others have involved lots of difficult physical labor, building schools/houses/community centers. Volunteering can involve any number of various activities.

The best time ever, I helped construct a community center for kids in this terribly destitute village south of TJ. There is absolutely no economy in this area, houses are built out of discarded garage doors and anything the people can find. All the kids' parents have to travel several hours away to find any work, so the kids are all looked after every day by these 2 women who are basically the "grandmothers" of the entire town. We built this place for the kids to spend their time, learn, play, etc...it was by far the nicest structure within miles...the looks of amazement in the kids' faces was absolutely priceless. After we finished, we had dinner and were playing games and soccer with all the little kids...honestly one of the most satisfying experience of my entire life......It was cool too, because the program I participated with that time recruits local people to assist in the building process and puts them through training courses to teach them skills and help them find jobs, so it's far deeper than just going down there, building something and leaving.

One time though, a different group I was with was held up at gunpoint in Mexico and it wasn't very fun, they stole everything we had, including our trucks and the building materials for a school we were helping to repair. That was rather scary,depressing and frustrating, since we were then stuck in the middle of nowhere and could do nothing about it but hike through the desert then take taxis back to the border and wait for many hours to be picked up.

I plan on doing it more, but I'm probably going to stay north of the border for a while, the escalating drug cartel wars along the border don't particularly encourage me to venture into Mexico at the moment

MissingPerson
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm gonna guess that the OP was specifically referring to volunteering at the festival.

indietron
07-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Screw it... humanoid's story is better than the original subject.

Humanoid, how long did you stay down there for? How large was this community center?? I fell like I may have been there before. All the descriptions you used fit into the one I went to (location, looks, neighborhood, slum). I went down there with my church probably 5 ago. We even played soccer with the kids in the building, which was ridiculously fun.

humanoid
07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm gonna guess that the OP was specifically referring to volunteering at the festival.

Yeah, I completely realized that immediately after I typed my entire response, but since I was very recently considering another opportunity to go on one of these little trips, it had been on my mind recently....so I just left my post up.

humanoid
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Screw it... humanoid's story is better than the original subject.

Humanoid, how long did you stay down there for? How large was this community center?? I fell like I may have been there before. All the descriptions you used fit into the one I went to (location, looks, neighborhood, slum). I went down there with my church probably 5 ago. We even played soccer with the kids in the building, which was ridiculously fun.

I've done a few different ones, some that ranged from one day trips(go down at like 4am, return at sundown), to like 3 days where we stayed with local families. That specific community center was not very large, only something small like 35 ft x 20 ft approximately, but it gave the kids somewhere to be and to store books, games and other things to keep them occupied while their parents were gone literally all day working in far off places. In this particular neighborhood, it also helped keep them safer as there were actually packs of wild, diseased dogs roaming the streets all over the place, and the people told us that kids had been attacked several times. That was pretty disconcerting at times.

indietron
07-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I've done a few different ones, some that ranged from one day trips(go down at like 4am, return at sundown), to like 3 days where we stayed with local families. That specific community center was not very large, only something small like 35 ft x 20 ft approximately, but it gave the kids somewhere to be and to store books, games and other things to keep them occupied while their parents were gone literally all day working in far off places. In this particular neighborhood, it also helped keep them safer as there were actually packs of wild, diseased dogs roaming the streets all over the place, and the people told us that kids had been attacked several times. That was pretty disconcerting at times.

Alright. Yeah, the place I went to was much larger than that. But it served the exact same purpose, including protection from dogs.

whynotsmile99
07-09-2009, 07:31 PM
i put flowers on a float for the rose parade. that was sorta fun once.

been meaning to step up the volunteering actually.

Gyrus
07-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I had some friends from San Diego volunteer at a pizza shop a couple years ago. Fuckin slave drivers, 14 hour shifts, no breaks, no time to see anyone.
I wouldn't volunteer if you paid me..... Than again that would be working and not volunteering..... well you get the point

humanoid
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I had some friends from San Diego volunteer at a pizza shop a couple years ago. Fuckin slave drivers, 14 hour shifts, no breaks, no time to see anyone.
I wouldn't volunteer if you paid me..... Than again that would be working and not volunteering..... well you get the point

that sounds like they were actual slaves

frenzplz
07-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I've volunteered my time often over the years and it was always worth it. Sometimes it has been really relaxing and enjoyable, others have involved lots of difficult physical labor, building schools/houses/community centers. Volunteering can involve any number of various activities.

The best time ever, I helped construct a community center for kids in this terribly destitute village south of TJ. There is absolutely no economy in this area, houses are built out of discarded garage doors and anything the people can find. All the kids' parents have to travel several hours away to find any work, so the kids are all looked after every day by these 2 women who are basically the "grandmothers" of the entire town. We built this place for the kids to spend their time, learn, play, etc...it was by far the nicest structure within miles...the looks of amazement in the kids' faces was absolutely priceless. After we finished, we had dinner and were playing games and soccer with all the little kids...honestly one of the most satisfying experience of my entire life......It was cool too, because the program I participated with that time recruits local people to assist in the building process and puts them through training courses to teach them skills and help them find jobs, so it's far deeper than just going down there, building something and leaving.

One time though, a different group I was with was held up at gunpoint in Mexico and it wasn't very fun, they stole everything we had, including our trucks and the building materials for a school we were helping to repair. That was rather scary,depressing and frustrating, since we were then stuck in the middle of nowhere and could do nothing about it but hike through the desert then take taxis back to the border and wait for many hours to be picked up.

I plan on doing it more, but I'm probably going to stay north of the border for a while, the escalating drug cartel wars along the border don't particularly encourage me to venture into Mexico at the moment

sounds like someone just wanted to brag

unitedwestand
07-11-2009, 03:07 PM
wow you quoted that whole thing and just wrote one sentance?
IDIOT!

humanoid
07-13-2009, 02:32 PM
sounds like someone just wanted to brag

one could take it that way, but that's not really me...so sorry, you're incorrect

arbaba
07-30-2009, 02:56 PM
That was a good post.

EastLos01
11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
That's very decent of you humanoid. ANd yeah, thats exactly what its like down there. I've done all my volunteering up here in My neighborhood. I help with the after school activities here in our local parks. Mainly Sports programs for our Parks and Rec. I started when my kid brother was of age to play sports, and just continued after he went thru the program because you get so attached to the families that you see year in and year out. I'm taking the next couple of seasons off as to not burn out but it really is rewarding. I highly recommend it to anyone out there... believe me, your community always could use more help.

Radiohead
11-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I've heard volunteering at the festival is pretty aweful. I also have some friends who were told that they could get in if they volunteered, then they found out on the morning of the festival that their volunteer opportunity did not actually exist (they had a connection who flaked, I guess). Anyway, it sounds aweful -- just work and save some money to go to the festival.

MissingPerson
11-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I dunno if Coachella's like the volunteering scheme I do here, but for me, it's a way to take another look at a festival I love. When I volunteer, I do it knowing I'm probably going to miss most the acts I want to see and that it's going to be bloody hard work, but it's kind of an adventure too.

This year, I missed the first Irish shows of a load of acts I adore and was working for over 24 hours of a weekend-long festival. But I partied with some cool strangers, did some bizarre things I never would have otherwise, and got to involuntarily act like a fucking lobotomy patient in conversation with somebody I idolise. It's not like getting a free ticket or anything, and you have to go in knowing you're going to have a very different festival experience than you would if you just paid and showed up, but that's kind of the fun of it. It's something totally out of the ordinary, and I'll be doing it again this summer.

faxman75
11-29-2009, 03:38 AM

Who the fuck volunteers at a pizza shop? wtf?

psycobetabuckdown
11-29-2009, 07:54 PM
If I ever can't afford Coachella I think volunteering is a good idea. I've done it at Treasure Island and it was worth it - in fact I'd probably rather do it than pay for admission. For Coachella, however, with 5 stages spread out a lot more I'd only do it if I were desperate.

EastLos01
12-02-2009, 08:33 AM
If we're talking mainly festivals, I volunteered at RTB back in 07 up in Frisco. It was mainly putting Backpack giftpacks together for people who had purchased VIP tix. It wasn't bad, 4 hours in the morning and then was able to enjoy the show. It is a different experience though, being on the other side of the table. I'd do in again if the situation was the same.

im_a_starfish
01-24-2010, 12:31 PM
wow you quoted that whole thing and just wrote one sentance?
IDIOT!

haha. it doesnt take a lot of effort to quote no matter what the length is....
IDIOT!

el_ornelas
02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
damnit, i thought i would get more info from this post because i'm debating at the moment if i want to apply for the work exchange at coachella. i'm getting friends to do it with me and would feel shitty if we all got screwed by working shitty shifts at the concerts, doing shitty jobs, and not having a schedule together. hm.

to the OP: did you find any other info? seems nobody is talking about it here on the forums