PDA

View Full Version : Queens of the Fighting Zeppelins??

drummer333
07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
from KROQ.com

These days pretty much nothing is kept secret for long, except this. QOTSA front man Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin are recording an album. One possible name; Queens of the Fighting Zeppelins. The trio is currently holed up for the summer in a Los Angeles recording studio working on the new album with a tour hinted for the future.

Josh Homme's wife Brody Dalle commented on the rumors, "I'm not at liberty to talk about it but I think [the project] is pretty fucking amazing. Just beats and sounds like you've never heard before."

Jones wrote in an online post in April that he hoped "to be everywhere this summer" with "a couple of other people" who've been "working [with him] on some other music, which is more rock-based." Earlier this year Jones commented in an interview, "It's a secret, actually. I shouldn't have even said that, you know? There are some exciting projects coming up, let's put it that way."

sounds better than chickenfoot.

rage patton
07-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I read an article a week or so ago claiming that Josh Homme has been trying to lure Mike Patton into the studio for a top secret project he has been working on. This must be the project the article was refering too. Faith No More have most of July off... maybe Mike Patton will be recording a track or two with them. Either way, this sounds amazing.

bballarl
07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Sounds we've never heard before? I bet it sounds something like QOTSA mixed with Foo Fighters and Led Zeppelin.

rage patton
07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Also, I really hope its Dave Grohl on drums and Josh Hommes on guitar (and vocals unless Mike Patton is doing vocals) and not the other way around.

TallGuyCM
07-03-2009, 12:59 AM
sounds better than chickenfoot.

Anything's better than Chickenfoot.

seandlr
07-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Ugh! Chickenfoot is the worst!

fober
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Too much talent. Doomed to fail.

frozen pilgrim
07-03-2009, 08:50 AM
if ANYONE can reign these three giants of rock together, it's homme. the man's a collaborative genius. it's really all he does.
I CAN NOT FUCKING WAIT FOR THIS

TallGuyCM
07-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Also, I really hope its Dave Grohl on drums and Josh Hommes on guitar (and vocals unless Mike Patton is doing vocals) and not the other way around.

I agree 100%. The drums is where Dave belongs, it hides his over-the-top rock star douchiness that tends to reveal itself when he's behind a microphone.

pancakespancakes
07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Hahahahah wow. I fucking love John Paul Jones. I wish every musician could age as well as he has.

pancakespancakes
07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Too much talent. Doomed to fail.

No. Pilgrim beat me to it. Not when Homme is at the helm. This man has vision in these situations.

Alchemy
07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't care much about John Paul Jones, but Josh Homme and Mike Patton working together is sublime. Both of them are musical geniuses. Dave Ghrol on drums is always a good thing, too. I doubt that Mike Patton will have much creative influence on this project though. Probably, he'll just be doing some guest vocals. A real cool project would be a Homme & Patton duo, with both of them writing the same songs together. Damon Albarn should work with these guys since they're all so active in the music world, except that they might be a little too rowdy for Albarn.

superfiction
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
dave is playing drums on this. its already been said. and greg wreckman, mikes partner at ipecac records said josh was trying to get him but mike just wasnt down. so i dunno

rage patton
07-05-2009, 04:29 PM
dave is playing drums on this. its already been said. and greg wreckman, mikes partner at ipecac records said josh was trying to get him but mike just wasnt down. so i dunno

Mike Patton is too busy with Faith No More right now. Like Alchemy said, I bet he ends up colaberating on a couple tracks.

menikmati
07-06-2009, 09:10 AM
This sounds awful.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
it sounds pretty great to me. songs for the deaf was such a winning formula- homme on guitars and vocals, grohl on skins where he belongs, and a solid-as-fuck bass section to round it out. nick oliveri's no longer welcome in the homme fold, so hmmm, who could possibly have the iron clad hands necessary to keep up with grohl? oh, I don't know, how about john paul jones, the bass player from led fucking zeppelin.

I think this is a taste issue. if you like heavy, crunchy, grooving, hook rock, then this could be the best project since, well, songs for the deaf.

if you didn't like SFTD, then I would recommend avoiding this at all costs. but I'd also schedule a hearing test.

Alchemy
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I think that Homme should make this the next QOTSA album instead of a new project. I see miles of benefit by adding Mark Lanegan to this mixture.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
it'd be nice, but I think QOTSA now effectively refers to the combination of josh homme, joey castillo, and troy van leeuwen

Alchemy
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
it'd be nice, but I think QOTSA now effectively refers to the combination of josh homme, joey castillo, and troy van leeuwen

Bah, Joey can sit this one out for Dave to get back on the kit, and I would welcome Troy to this project as the second guitarist.

Either way, Mark Lanegan would be an awesome addition to the project. He made Songs for the Deaf as important an album it is just as much as Dave and Homme did.

Oh, also, add PJ Harvey to this.

pancakespancakes
07-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Meh, I just need another QOTSA album. Era Vulgaris was a fucking masterpiece, probably the most underrated album of 07, and probably one of the finest albums Homme's ever produced. I have been extremely excited for that follow-up. And I need whatever it is to come sooner rathe than later. Because I know it will be great. Ideally, I'd like this put on hold for a new QOTSA album... but we can make them the same thing, too.

TallGuyCM
07-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Era Vulgaris was a little difficult to get into for me, although I hold their first two albums in such high esteem that everything else really hasn't compared. Except for SFTD, that was close.

Alchemy
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I thought Queens of the Stone Age was good, but I believe that Songs for the Deaf, [R], and Era Vulgaris are far greater, in my opinion. Lullabies to Paralyze is probably my least favorite, but it's still good.

Songs for the Deaf >>> [R] > Era Vulgaris >>> Queens of the Stone Age > Lullabies to Paralyze

pancakespancakes
07-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty much the same as Alchemy there... except switch around EV and Rated R.

I think Lullabies to Paralyze is the only Queens I don't really like. It still has some great songs though, just inconsistent.

TallGuyCM
07-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Maybe part of what grips me about the first album is "If Only", that's my favorite Queens song by a mile.

pancakespancakes
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Funny, the first album has my favorite song by a mile, too. "You Can't Quit Me Baby." I believe that's the greatest song Josh Homme has ever written and recorded. I don't even pay attention to the rest of the album, that alone makes the whole record a damn-near classic.

TomAz
07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
This sounds awful.

Eyes Adrift II.

JebusLives
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
(Foo Fighters + QOTSA + Zeppelin) / (3 * <supergroup_bonus>)

wherein the supergroup bonus is any arbitrary positive integer. (AKA, this is gonna suck.)

Alchemy
07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Foo Fighters + QOTSA = QOTSA

This is like a guest on QOTSA.

bballarl
07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Regular John.

luckyface
08-01-2009, 08:00 PM
No mention of Them Crooked Vultures yet? (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2009/07/crooked-vultures/)

Or did the search button lie to me?

Alchemy
08-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I'll be very interested in this.

Blinken
08-02-2009, 02:34 AM
I listened to the audio on the site, and I think the name is just "Crooked Vultures" or maybe "The Crooked Vultures" but definitely not "Them"

I am pretty excited about this group.

PJandBompton
08-02-2009, 02:39 AM
touring starting in April? mark em down for Coachella...sick

karecares
08-02-2009, 10:30 AM

sick is right. please don't tease with that fantasy @coach

rage patton
08-04-2009, 10:03 AM

I think you have reading comprehension problems.

John Paul Jones dropped a vague hint about the tour plans in April, in an interview with French journalist Cyril Deluermoz: Im working on some other music, which is more rock based, with a couple of other people. We hope to be everywhere this summer.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't mean the band will start touring in April. Rather, in an interview this past April, John Paul Jones dropped a vague hint that he may be touring in the future.

To be honest, when I first read it, I also took it as a tour is starting April next year too. Then I reminded myself the world doesnt revolve around Coachella and re-read it and realized what it said.

Also, I really hope the band is called "Them Crooked Vultures" and not "The Crooked Vulture." Them Crooked Vultures is such an awesome name. I love it.

Cdubby
08-04-2009, 10:21 AM
They will be playing this Sunday in Chicago

rage patton
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Isn't that during Lolla?

Cdubby
08-04-2009, 10:23 AM
exclusive aftershow at the metro

faxman75
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
http://consequenceofsound.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/crooked.png

rage patton
08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Ummm... yeah...

So, all of you going to Lolla better go to this.

Cdubby
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I'll be Mark's date if he wants to purchase the tickets. I'll be sitting on the tarmac at LAX waiting to shoot down the runway when tickets go onsale. Would have worked out nicely if they went on sale today or tomorrow.

Alchemy
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
http://consequenceofsound.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/crooked.png

That's a sneaky way to advertise it. I wonder if they'll play any Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, QOTSA songs.

shotglass75
08-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Dave Grohl, QOTSA's Josh Homme, and Led Zep's John Paul Jones Team Up
They're called Them Crooked Vultures. Dave Grohl, QOTSA's Josh Homme, and Led Zep's John Paul Jones Team Up

http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/crooked452.jpg

According to Antiquiet, Dave Grohl told Mojo magazine in 2005, "The next project that I'm trying to initiate involves me on drums, [Queens of the Stone Age's] Josh Homme on guitar, and [Led Zeppelin's] John Paul Jones playing bass. That's the next album. That wouldn’t suck."

Four years and hundreds of rumors later, it seems like this no-qualifier-necessary, cap-S Supergroup is ready for its close-up. They've got a name: Them Crooked Vultures. (Via Antiquiet.) There's an oh-so-cryptic show listing for a post-Lollapalooza midnight gig this Sunday, August 9, at Chicago's Metro that features symbols for the Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, and Queens of the Stone Age. And there's also an official-looking website that links to Them Crooked Vultures hubs on MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter. The Twitter lists Them Crooked Vultures' bio as "Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, John Paul Jones." Super and online friendly!

While a fall tour and new album are currently being whispered about, official spokespeople are keeping mum about Them Crooked Vultures at press time.

Posted by Ryan Dombal on August 4, 2009 at 12:40 p.m.

faxman75
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I'll be Mark's date if he wants to purchase the tickets. I'll be sitting on the tarmac at LAX waiting to shoot down the runway when tickets go onsale. Would have worked out nicely if they went on sale today or tomorrow.

I'm running super tight on cash. As it stands if these tickets are $40 I will have $200 for spending cash for 5 days in Chicago. maybe if you can pay pal me cash today I will try to get two on Thursday, one being yours? Just trying to help with my limited resources.

frozen pilgrim
08-04-2009, 11:27 AM
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

I am way too excited about this

liquidsnake28
08-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I really hope I can get tickets to this.

To all of you who think this is going to suck, do you hate QOTSA or what? I don't see where you're coming from.

Cdubby
08-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm running super tight on cash. As it stands if these tickets are $40 I will have $200 for spending cash for 5 days in Chicago. maybe if you can pay pal me cash today I will try to get two on Thursday, one being yours? Just trying to help with my limited resources.

hey cool, pm your info and ill send you the funds. if it works great!

luckyface
08-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I listened to the audio on the site, and I think the name is just "Crooked Vultures" or maybe "The Crooked Vultures" but definitely not "Them"

I am pretty excited about this group.

Looks like it's "Them".

ElBlueblazer
08-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Then I reminded myself the world doesnt revolve around Coachella and re-read it and realized what it said.

but the world does revolve around Coachella!! at least in my lil world!

Devin the Dude
08-04-2009, 02:17 PM
uhm.. yummy!

liquidsnake28
08-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Anyone who thinks this is going to suck needs to listen to Songs for the Deaf again.

faxman75
08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm in the camp that doesn't listen to Queens of the Stone Age and haven't listened to the Foo Fighters since Colour and the Shape. I like Zeppelin but Floyd was better.

All that said, I can't wait to see this show. Grohl drumming is a huge plus as long as I don't have to hear him scream and JPJ is a legend multi-instrumentalist so I have no doubt this is going to be a great show.

From Billboard:

While festival-goers in Chicago have a lot to look forward to at this upcoming weekend's Lollapalooza, the hottest ticket in town and possibly most anticipated act of all won't be at Grant Park. Them Crooked Vultures, a long-rumored collaboration between Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme, Foo Fighter Dave Grohl and former Led Zeppelin multi-instrumentalist John Paul Jones, is set to stage its first ever show at the celebrated rock club Metro.

Tickets will be on sale via Etix starting Thursday morning at 10 a.m. The show time is listed as 11:59 p.m. on Sunday.

Grohl revealed the idea four years ago in an interview with British music magazine Mojo, sayng only that he'd be on drums, with Homme and Jones on guitar and bass respectively. Antiquiet.com recently pressed Homme's wife for confirmation of the project and is reporting that the band is currently recording in Los Angeles.

Details about the hard rock supergroup's work are scant, but the lineage is quite clear. Jones and Grohl have worked together many times before, including two tracks on the Foo Fighters' 2005 release "In Your Honor" as well as joining the Foo Fighters on stage in June 2008 at Wembley Arena. Grohl lent his drumming talents to Queens of the Stone Age's 2002 release "Songs for The Deaf."

Lollapalooza 2009 kicks off this Friday (August 7) with Jane's Addiction, Tool, Depeche Mode, The Killers and Kings of Leon headlining throughout the weekend.

paulb
08-04-2009, 06:31 PM
if only i was in Chicago till later sunday

kretz
08-05-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.grungereport.net/2009/08/05/dave-grohls-album-with-homme-and-jones-has-a-release-date/

Album drops October 23rd, there's a picture of a flyer advertising the album there. The album's title is Never Deserved The Future.

rage patton
08-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Reviews. Now. Where are they?

EDIT: Nevermind. I am an idiot.

frozen pilgrim
08-09-2009, 09:12 AM
anyone who can produce a bootleg of this show will be a fucking HERO. no kidding.

rage patton
08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
So it sounds like Them Crooked Vultures are awesome. Apparently they are Very QOTSA-y, but Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones add enough of their own thing to make them a distinct band. Basically, this is nothing ground breaking, but it is something that will kick ass. I am very excited for the album and tour.