PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever met your music idol ??

bug on your lip
06-23-2009, 09:31 AM
i met my idol Steve Kilbey (singer/bass of The Church) Sunday night after their show in Minneapolis..

i talked space/time continuum with him

and then he mentions me in his blog !!

http://stevekilbey.blogspot.com/2009/06/more-instant.html

how frigggin awesome is that !!

this is a pure happy moment for my life

hearts
.....:::::bug

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2009, 09:36 AM
YOU INVENTED POWDERED BEER, AWESOME :p

bug on your lip
06-23-2009, 09:38 AM
giggle

tessalasset
06-23-2009, 09:52 AM
i don't really have any musical idols, just favorite singers/musicians. is that the same thing?

fatbastard
06-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Did not know you were a Church fan Bug. They played the Roxy a couple of weeks ago but I didn't go. How were they?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
not my idol exactly, though i enjoy him very much...I met Nick Oliveri at the first Eagles of Death Metal show at the knitting factory (with brank Bjork and the Bros headlining) and in a drunken stupor what came out of my mouth was "Nick man...I love you!"

he gave me a very odd look

JustSteve
06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
yup.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/forgotaboutsteve/strummer-1.jpg

sonofhal
06-23-2009, 10:16 AM
He looks so pleased to meet you.

MissingPerson
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Pretty cool, Bug. Pretty damn cool.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2009, 10:23 AM
JustSteve, you look a hell of a lot like an ex boyfriend of mein!!!

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/523885-7/2003_06_03_Mark_and_Ivy_070_Small.jpg

/off topic

bug on your lip
06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
it still is kinda freaking me out

i mean here is a guy i've looked up to since i was a kid... and yet i made an impression on him !?!?!?

though i still don't understand the part about me & him slaughtering the crowd with bass guitars... snicker

on a related note, Young Blood also wrote some poems about meeting me...

real talk
06-23-2009, 10:34 AM
I met John Darnielle in 2006 in Athens, Ohio. I have a photo but I will not post it here because I am not an attractive person.

I also met Boots Riley at the Fillmore and he was the kindest coolest dude ever.

One time I saw saw Kyp Malone at the White Horse in LA.

That's about it.

Young blood
06-23-2009, 10:38 AM
on a related note, Young Blood also wrote some poems about meeting me...

dreams do come true.

Pixiessp
06-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I met Robert Smith and Simon Gallup at Disneyland back in the 90's.

No pictures were taken. I could barely speak I was so nervous.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I met Robert Smith and Simon Gallup at Disneyland back in the 90's.

No pictures were taken. I could barely speak I was so nervous.

were you in ride for a line, if so, what ride?! i would probably give robert smith a bigger hug than mickey :x

and i did get to meet andy c once. he's not really my absolute favourite anymore, but he was at the time. we didn't get to talk really, but he was super friendly about signing things & taking pics with people, thank god my ex-boyfriend had the balls to ask for a pic cause i was too drunk to ask (and look at the camera apparently, andy c had to point to the camera for me, lol):

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/584325-3/me_and_andy_c_san_diego_may_2004.jpg

sonofhal
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I got extremely drunk with Dave Rowntree back around the time of the first Blur album. It was at an aftershow (but not a Blur gig) up on the roof of The Marquee, and i seem to remember that we told one of the bouncers that Daman Alburn was a drug dealer. Damon got thrown out of the party, which Dave seemed to find most entertaining.

real talk
06-23-2009, 10:47 AM
You have the best stories.

MissingPerson
06-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Met Gemma Hayes shortly after her first (awesome) album, when I was totally obsessed with her. Really nice. Really pretty, too. Tragically, her subsequent discs were really mind-numbingly bland, which was a terrible shame because her voice is tremendous.

Briefly met Win, Will and Richard after a show, but they were trying to make time for everybody so alas, I didn't have time to properly make my case for letting me join them as their queen. Win is a disarmingly friendly dude in person, and Richard is really sweet. Will was soaked in his own sweat and blood, but no less obscenely good-looking for that.

Neither of these stories touches Bug's.

EDIT: Or sonofhal's.

kretz
06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Met Scott Weiland in December of last year, he was very nice actually.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I meet Bill Corgan back in 2000 before he went completely apeshit....

I meet Bowie backstage at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas back in 1999....David was SUPER nice...and even thanked me for asking for an autograph...I almost died that day...

sbessiso
06-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I cant even imagine what it would be like if I were face to face with Jack White or BECK.

DEATH!

GoEastYoungMan
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I met Adam Jones on the street in front of the Verizon Center in DC a few hours before they performed there in 2006. He was standing outside of Starbucks with the biggest Great Dane I've ever seen. Dude's fucking tall (and going quite grey).

SoulDischarge
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I offered one of the beers I had sneaked into the venue to David Thomas of Pere Ubu after their set when I was about 16 in Cleveland. He declined the offer.

I gushed over Peter Christopherson after Throbbing Gristle at Coachella and minutes later hugged Pink Eye from Fucked Up.

And he's not an idol, but backstage at an MC5 show at Royce Hall I ranted to Handsome Dick Manitoba of the Dictators about how great a Stooges show was that they had played the same festival as. He didn't seem very amused.

bballarl
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Jack White walked by my desk at Warner Bros. They were filming portions of "It Might Get Loud" on the lot that day. I freaked the fuck out and couldn't say anything.

I walked around with 3/4 of Oasis (minus Noel) and their entourage for a couple of hours. They were all extremely nice to me. I realized then that even though Liam is a musical idol of mine, he is just a normal person. It's easy to forget.

I met Kevin Shields at ATP and freaked the fuck out and had to go to bed afterwards. Ask Corinna.

I also met J. Mascis and Lou Barlow at ATP. Bryan and I offered them both a beer. Lou politely declined, and J. said "No thanks, but thanks a lot!" in his J. Mascis voice.

Shook Bob Mould's hand at Coachella this year and told him I really enjoyed his set. I felt bad for interrupting a conversation but it was nice to have met him, because I really admire him as a musician.

sonofhal
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Joey Santiago once insisted on showing me some yoyo tricks in exchange for a can of beer. He'd make a great homeless guy.

real talk
06-23-2009, 12:20 PM
And he's not even the magician!

stuporfly
06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I met Brian Wilson around 10 years ago. I'd seen him less than a year earlier when he played the Wiltern, and I was knee-deep in my Pet Sounds/SMiLE obsession (which still lingers, naturally).

A friend came into my office and told me they'd seen Brian Wilson heading into a nearby drugstore. It was the one day I didn't have Pet Sounds with me, but I still beat feet in the hopes of maybe seeing him out in the real world. I spotted him on line, and after quickly grabbing a pack of Chocodiles, jumped in right behind him.

Brian Fucking Wilson was buying around $100 worth of shaving cream and disposable razors.

I said, rather sheepishly, "Mr. Wilson, I just want to thank you for what your music has meant to me over the years." He turned, smiled, said thank you and shook my hand.

Then he sat in his car in the parking lot for an hour.

I'd have been disappointed if he hadn't behaved in some sort of crazy way. Fortunately, he lived up to the hype.

pancakespancakes
06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I've met Brendan Canning of my favorite band, Broken Social Scene, on multiple occasions to the point where he starts to recognize me... so that's really cool. I had the oppurtunity to engage in conversation with him.

I met Billy Corgan after one of their shows in 07 but I'm not exactly the world's biggest SP fan so he's not really an "idol."

I've also met all of the members of Animal Collective but I've always been to shy to engage in any conversation with them...

Oh! And only but a few weeks ago I got to talk to Ethan Miller of Comets on Fire... who is a huge musical hero to me. And such an awesome dude in person. I hope I meet him again someday soon.

pancakespancakes
06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Just yesterday a friend of mine got to randomly run into Danger Mouse in a coffee shop in Portland. Really strange, especially considering my friend is a diehard fan of his, and doesn't even live in Portland... he got to talk to him though.

Alchemy
06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I met Beck and thanked him for remembering that El Paso was a city that likes music, too. (Salah, if you want to meet Beck, he's starting to come to El Paso like once a year, but he doesn't always perform).

I've yet to meet Damon Albarn...

betao
06-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I met two of my idols this year very recently. Met Liam Howlett of the Prodigy after their SF show back in May, and then a couple of weeks ago, got to meet Trent Reznor and co. before their DC show. Both were extremely nice. I was so nervous meeting Trent and almost froze on the spot.

I met Ulrich Schnauss last year and that was really cool for me. His music had a big impact on me in high school.

I got to meet Primal Scream (minus Bobby) back in March, they were all extremely nice and offered to get us on the guest list for their next show. We unfortunately had to decline. One of their guitarists, Barie, told us stories about his career in music, also told us how he sold a guitar to Ed O'Brien (radiohead) without knowing it was him at the time!

Ive met other musicians but they're the only ones that really stick out to me as "idols".

sbessiso
06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Jack White walked by my desk at Warner Bros. They were filming portions of "It Might Get Loud" on the lot that day. I freaked the fuck out and couldn't say anything.

No kidding. I would be paralyzed

caco0283
06-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Dude I remember when I first met Gabe it was the same way...I loved his underground stuff

sbessiso
06-23-2009, 12:55 PM
I met Beck and thanked him for remembering that El Paso was a city that likes music, too. (Salah, if you want to meet Beck, he's starting to come to El Paso like once a year, but he doesn't always perform).

I'm 100% confident that I will meet him, and I mean that. The time and place is up to fate to decide but it is my destiny. Could be next week (probably not) could be in 5 years, but i'll be ready

Mr. Dylanja
06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Yes, I've met HEADSTRUCK :pulse

zenidogx
06-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I met Wayne Coyne on NYE before their show in 06. I was at a loss for words. My brother and I towered over him. He probably thought we were going to eat him.

I also got Andrew Bird to sign a setlist. He's so dreamy.

The day I meet Colin Meloy is the day my life is complete.

ivankay
06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
i got to meet and shake hands with Danny Elfman back stage at one of the Boingo Halloween shows in 90'. It was brief, but i'm still stoked over that.

One time i met Greg Ginn (guitarist for Black Flag) and it's one of my favorite stories. i used to do a radio show called Renegade Radio. we bought time on a broker frequency and did the overnights. This inspired a few people to do the same. One group was SST and they had a show after mine called "Screw Radio" hosted by a guy named Poinzdexter Stewart (Ginn). i loved the show and would always sell the shit out of it before my show was done.

Anyway, we lost a shitload of money and had a fund raiser (the Unacoustic Christmas with me as Satan Claws). During the event (which didn't raise enough) my partner tells me someone wants to meet me. i turn around and there's Greg Ginn! He says "Hi. i'm a big fan" and then he quoted me from my show (Hi. i'm mike fright. Boy trapped in a man's body." i tripped out with a "You're a fan?!" That was awesome.

sbessiso
06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes, I've met HEADSTRUCK :pulse

But have you shared a bed or tent with him? Sleep next to him side by side for a week? Put your back on him during The Killers' performance of "Read My Mind" at Coachella?

caco0283
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
not my idol but i missed my girlfriends bday cos I went to SF to hang out with real talk/pot/and young blood for Rock the Bells....before I left I promised her I would find Flavor Flav and make him sing happy birthday to her. Well he wouldn't call her cos he didn't want to use "nother niggas phone" but I took a pic cos I know she wouldn't believe me. I wish he would of used it being it would of been 5am in Florida and what a great voicemail that would of been

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/66/l_b9c3b209e5dde995c1655cdec7949aa1.jpg

Aphxtwinin
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
met Trent back in 2006 at Global Gathering here in Miami, he was walking amongst the crowd and no one noticed him except me or no one had the balls cuz I was the only one that walked up to him. He was super nice and surprisingly short, then again im 6'2, we talked for 5min about festival set ups and how they get screwed out of a full sets and he apologized in advance if the set was too short. Pretty awesome moment

canexplain
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
i have met quite a few people but most of them were meet and greets which dont count .... i got to ride in a car with Nixon, but then he was my anti hero so hyjack :) cr***

beavington
06-23-2009, 02:47 PM
For a while I was completely taken with Courtney Love. I attempted to meet her after a show at the Palladium but she got in a fight with the chick who but in between us and she chased her up and down Sunset Blvd. It was a funny night even though I didnt raelly get to meet Courtney Love. I met her a few years later at a Garbage concert at the Palace.

MissingPerson
06-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I learned to idolise Zac Pennigton after meeting him. Does that count?

NicoDread
06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Most of the people I've met are smaller artists... Busdriver, The members of Grand Ole Party recognize me from the 6 shows I went to last year. And he's not a musical idol but I met Rob Crow at Comic-Con last year, that was pretty cool.

ivankay
06-23-2009, 03:29 PM
You reminded me of one Nico. i got to meet Mike Ness a few times in my life. The first time was terrible because he was all zombied out. 2nd time wasn't much different. Those were before he went to jail and put bad habits away. When i was interning at KROQ in 89-90, i also did werk for a video show called Request Video. Social D was playing on the show. Before the show i got to bullshit with them in the office and get them to sign things. After it was all done, i was walking to my car when Mr. Ness pulled up in his big ol 50's car and says "Hey mike. Where you going?" i was pretty happy he remembered my name. i told him i was going home to crash and we said goodbye.

Jagh20
06-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I met Sean and Ant backstage at Street Scene last year...smoked a cig after their set...only time I felt star struck..

Had dinner with STS9 the same night.

SoulDischarge
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
One time i met Greg Ginn (guitarist for Black Flag) and it's one of my favorite stories. i used to do a radio show called Renegade Radio. we bought time on a broker frequency and did the overnights. This inspired a few people to do the same. One group was SST and they had a show after mine called "Screw Radio" hosted by a guy named Poinzdexter Stewart (Ginn). i loved the show and would always sell the shit out of it before my show was done.

Anyway, we lost a shitload of money and had a fund raiser (the Unacoustic Christmas with me as Satan Claws). During the event (which didn't raise enough) my partner tells me someone wants to meet me. i turn around and there's Greg Ginn! He says "Hi. i'm a big fan" and then he quoted me from my show (Hi. i'm mike fright. Boy trapped in a man's body." i tripped out with a "You're a fan?!" That was awesome.

That's a pretty fucking awesome story.

I forgot that I also met Steven Stapleton (of Nurse With Wound) when he was signing stuff after a set at the Hollywood Amoeba.

Alchemy
I'm 100% confident that I will meet him, and I mean that. The time and place is up to fate to decide but it is my destiny. Could be next week (probably not) could be in 5 years, but i'll be ready

The first time I saw him pass by, I choked and didn't say anything. It was on the second time he passed by that I finally said something.

unknown
hehe I saw Ivy's pic with andy c and cheesed! I met him and mc gq in Tokyo after they played a rockin set. I need to upload that picture cause I was fucking stoked! very nice guy and didn't even flinch when I saw him in the stairwell heading up to VIP and yelled "it's fucking ANDY C!!!! can we get a picture???". Met Tech Itch a few times as well, dnb djs are fucking nice guys - met dylan too - in Phoenix actually. met busdriver... dan le sac & scroobius pip... gotta love tiny venues. I really don't have a music idol - maybe Prince? I know someone on the board who got to meet him... lucky fuck.

Sushov23
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't call anyone my music idol, but meeting Dan Auerbach at a private show in Carlsbad was fucking sick. I had a conversation with him in the fucking restroom of all places, as we were washing our hands. I know there are more musicians i've met, I just can't think of them at the moment.

bmack86
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I know the guys from Grizzly Bear because of booking a show with them. I briefly talked to Steve Albini at ATP, and he was as awesomely over the top as he sounds on record. I also saw Jeff Mangum there. Will Cullen Hart and Bill Doss and John Fernandez sold me all the Olivia Tremor Control albums I own and talked with me for a long time, and that was amazing. I sat next to Beck at Coachella 04 and talked with him about the Flaming Lips and his set the day prior. He was very nice. Karen O and Nick Zinner were likewise very very nice.

The cream of the crop is shaking hands with eYe, even though he barely speaks english so we couldn't really converse. It was still awesome to greet the mind of Boredoms.

schoolofruckus
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I met Shifty Shellshock from Crazy Town one time. He was a huge influence on me back in the Desperado days.

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Back during my days of Rock n' Roll, I was a huge EddieVan Halen fan, so when I found out he was playing in the Bob Hope Golf Classic here in the desert, I just had to go. I was doing banners for Budweiser at the time, so they rewarded me with VIP passes. I went with a girlfriend of mine and we followed his gallery from start to finish. I thought I had really scored when he hit his ball out of bounds into deep grass. While he let it go and they went to the next hole, I told her I'd catch up. There I am navigating around in this deep grass until I found the ball. I caught up with the gallery and spent the next few holes having visions of him signing this little ball and how I was gonna mount it under one of those glass covered cheese holders. At the end, on the 18th green, the foursome we followed were signing autographs, etc, and as I got the nerve to go up and ask him to sign the ball, I couldn't believe how close I was gonna be to him! Seriously, the closest I'd been uptil then was like the floor level, row bum-fucked egypt. Now I was 1 foot away and reaching out with my request.
He smiled that well known Eddie VanHalen smile, I melted into my shoes, and then he proceeded to ask for his fucking ball back! I couldn't believe it! I mean, c'mon, like the guy can't afford new balls? As he took the ball, explaining that he had hit most all of them out of bounds that day, he reached into his front pocket and produced an autographed guitar pic to give me instead. Considering that I wasn't a huge fan of golf, but was a guitar player, this would be like getting the ultimate fan gift. It still hangs among my guitar idol pics...

psychic friend
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I have met most of my all time favs.... daft punk, the verve, oasis, stone roses, underworld, primal scream, the charlatans, ... i get so so excited/nervous i usually can't speak.

ivankay
06-23-2009, 05:06 PM
I know the guys from Grizzly Bear.....

Yes you do:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3655067371_dbeeabcdda.jpg

Gribbz
06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I met the lead singer of Grizzly Bear last week. Very friendly guy.

Met a couple of members of Animal Collective last month when they were in town. That was...interesting.

MissingPerson
06-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Ed Droste isn't my musical idol. But I'd still like to meet him an awful lot. Look at him, fuck's sake:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3655067371_dbeeabcdda.jpg

Looks lovely. Looks like a lovely guy.

JustSteve
06-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I cant even imagine what it would be like if I were face to face with Jack White or BECK.

DEATH!

jack white is really quiet, not someone to really have a conversation with, at least when i met him. met beck when i worked the "this ain't no picnic" show back in 2000 at irvine lake. him and milla jovovich came over and sat at a picnic table i was sitting at backstage. shared some polite conversation with them both and we all went separate ways after about 15 minutes. beck was cool.

JustSteve
06-23-2009, 05:44 PM
He looks so pleased to meet you.

i have noticed he looks like that in a lot of pics...not too mention it was after his set and he was suffering from i believe the flu and could barely hear. that's how into his fans he is, the guy stood around for a good 30 minutes backstage hanging out with anyone who approached him...and that was after doing a signing earlier in the day, too. quite a man.

JustSteve
06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
oh yeah, during my formative teenage years(early 90's) i was really into guns n roses. head into late '96 and i start interning for 98 posse, a local promoter who had a club out at uc riverside called the barn. in that same office was the manager of axl/gnr. sure they weren't a band at that point, but i talked to axl on a daily basis and got to attend one of his crazy ass halloween parties at his place in malibu. the first time i picked up the phone and heard "hey, it's axl, is doug around?" i transferred the call and hung up, had the biggest smile on my face. it was surreal.

the best part of those years? working for the man that would one day be a producer of our beloved coachella. one of the coolest guys in the biz! i am actually very fortunate that i got to work for some of the most amazing people in the music business. you hear horror stories about some people out there, but i was fortunate to never have to work for anyone like that.

/triple post

MarkO
06-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I ran into and almost over CSS (they're tiny) at the Doug Fir here in PDX when they played there a while back. They signed my ticket but I didn't engage them in conversation.

Bob Mould was eating dinner with a friend at the Doug Fir another time. V.nice guy.

David Gedge watched the support band at the Doug Fir and signed my cd for me.

My best story is watching, dumbfounded, at a band called Lard Zeppelin (complete with a ~375lb singer) in the front bar of The Paradise in Boston 6 or 7 years ago. I was there to see The Frames who were playing out back that night. I turned around and saw Glen from The Frames standing alone just as dumbfounded by what he saw as I was. The best thing was, as I found out later, was that the Zep's drummer that night was one J.Mascis.

My idol ?? I won't meet him for a while as Rory Gallagher passed away several years ago.

bmack86
06-23-2009, 11:36 PM
At Dinosaur Jr. tonight I met Zach De La Rocha and Henry Rollins. Henry's shorter and less buff than I had imagined.

amyzzz
06-24-2009, 05:23 AM
I met Trent Reznor (and band) back in 1994 and interviewed him for my college radio station. Did the same with Sarah McLachlan in 1995.

I've met the entire band of Catherine Wheel on several occasions in the 90's and the lead singer Rob Dickinson alone during his solo tours in the 2000's. I think I got the guitarist Brian Futter to put me on their guest list once when I drove from Phoenix to San Francisco to see them without a ticket.

I met Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead back in 1995 before their show. I wanted to meet Thom Yorke but I think he was hiding behind a pole being anti-social.

I've met 90's Brit-pop band Elastica on several occasions: got backstage at Lollapalooza in Toronto 1995 with a Beck Backstage pass (also met Beck and Moby--sorry that this is a parenthetical note, Salah!), got to watch everyone in Elastica get massages in their trailer, and later on almost caused Courtney Love to beat me up by asking her if she slept with Trent Reznor (she had)--all at Lollapalooza in Toronto, back when it was a travelling tour. A couple weeks later at the Lollapalooza in Phoenix, I got backstage to try to apologize to Courtney Love, saw her there but just ended up leaving a message with another band member.

PassiveTheory
06-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Let's see... I've met Amanda Palmer twice, first at the True Colors tour with Brian from the Dresden Dolls, then this year at Coachella. Super sweet woman, but also definitely a firebrand if I've ever met one. But yeah... I'll get back to you all when I meet Morrissey.

TomAz
06-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I interviewed a couple members of the Go-Gos for my college radio station back when they were touring on their first album. they seemed really old to me. (not heroes though)

I have had conversations with Joe Ely and Alejandro Escovedo (not heroes but I am a big fan of both).

I once had a conversation with Jon Langford and Sally Timms of the Mekons. I was kinda drunk and said some really stupid things to Langford about how much his music meant to me. (getting close to hero territory)

But when I met Joe Strummer I just stood there and stared. I was so nervous and in so much awe I couldn't form words with my mouth. I was gonna offer him my beer but then another guy did and he took his. (hero).

JustSteve
06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
i was the same way, but being pretty drunk helped me approach him and i am glad i did since he passed away only 5 months later. thanks alcohol!

TomAz
06-24-2009, 09:20 AM
you must have met him about the same time I did. I met him at some day-long festival-ish thing in the bay area at a place I can't remember the name of.

edit: Shoreline amphitheater

stinkbutt
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I've met mostly metal bands: Slipknot, Mudvayne, Wolves In The Throneroom, Pelican, Isis, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Boris, I'm sure there is penty more that I can't think of

the coolest people I ever met was B.B. King when I was 8 and Black Sabbath when I was 15

AlecEiffel
06-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I've met all the Pixies with the exception of Joey Santiago. All separately. Frank a few times after shows and at an in store, Kim (with Kelly) at an in store and David at a show when he was opening for the Catholics as a 'scientific experementilist'. Frank Black is my all time musical hero, so I was nervous and kind of locked up every time I spoke with him, he's been varying degrees of personable every time (from incredibly nice, to dismissive to flat out dickish). Dave was friendly and was really open to chatting about the Pixies (this was before the reunion) and the Deal twins are two of the nicest people I've ever met.

Also, Andrew WK.

bug on your lip
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Frank was pretty easy to talk to before the reunion..

a friend of mine walked in on David beating on his gf/wife? in Santa Cruz

that was awkward

AlecEiffel
06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Really? I found him to be a bigger jerk before the reunion. He's really friendly now a days from my experience.

A good chunk of the movie loudQUIETloud is dedicated to Dave Lovering's, um, 'misadventures', including what I'm assuming is that relationship. If I remember correctly it ended when she broke a wine bottle over his head.

Alchemy
06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
I've also met some of Deerhunter and Deerhoof. I didn't say much to the singers of both, but I had a nice conversation with the new guitarist (well I don't think he's that new) for Deerhoof about songwriting and the process that he goes through, and I also talked to whoever was playing guitar with Deerhunter about Coachella, and that if they were going to go (they didn't) that they should play "Agoraphobia," because I really wanted to hear it, but they didn't play it because we were too wild of a crowd.

JustSteve
06-24-2009, 12:44 PM
you must have met him about the same time I did. I met him at some day-long festival-ish thing in the bay area at a place I can't remember the name of.

edit: Shoreline amphitheater

yeah, that was the hootenanny festival that goldenvoice does...it was usually an orange county show, but they expanded up there and down to san diego that year.

bmack86
06-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I've also met some of Deerhunter and Deerhoof. I didn't say much to the singers of both, but I had a nice conversation with the new guitarist (well I don't think he's that new) for Deerhoof about songwriting and the process that he goes through, and I also talked to whoever was playing guitar with Deerhunter about Coachella, and that if they were going to go (they didn't) that they should play "Agoraphobia," because I really wanted to hear it, but they didn't play it because we were too wild of a crowd.

Bradford is an incredibly nice guy and very easy to talk to. Same with Lockett (who you probably are talking about here) except he's more shy.

Alchemy
06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Bradford is an incredibly nice guy and very easy to talk to. Same with Lockett (who you probably are talking about here) except he's more shy.

Yeah, they were both really nice. I felt kind of bad, because they were playing in a bad venue and the crowd weren't really Deerhunter fans, they just wanted to hear a rock band (it also wasn't the best Deerhunter show, I imagine). I was there a bit early and Bradford was hanging around a wall, and he was staying in a van a lot, but he was a cool and collected guy. I think his dad was driving all of them around, and they had a lot of blankets in that van.

Alchemy
06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Oh! Also! I didn't meet him, because I had never really listened to his music at the time... but I watched The Mars Volta/A Perfect Circle with Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, like he was sitting next to me. He was drunk and he nodded to me and he made sure to not get in my way, so he was a nice drunk.

ivankay
06-24-2009, 01:47 PM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/66/l_b9c3b209e5dde995c1655cdec7949aa1.jpg

Love this picture.

Neutral Milk Hotel
06-24-2009, 01:55 PM
I almost met Jeff Tweedy last night. But didn't. :(

However:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/CitizenKane/127.jpg

(thanks to Tessa)

TomAz
06-24-2009, 02:06 PM
An acquaintence of mine says she is Jeff Tweedy's sister's best friend.

betao
06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
god blinda is so beautiful. that picture makes me jealous every time.

Geno_g
06-24-2009, 02:45 PM
I like how he's sporting a MBV shirt and has the purple loveless shirt too around the neck, rock it...

betao
06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
some other smaller act's ive met who i'd say played a role in my musical taste:

battles
deerhunter
m83
a place to bury strangers
animal collective (avey, geologist, and panda bear)
ritchie hawtin
the crystal method
deep dish
felix da housecat
ferry corsten
bunny (from rabbit in the moon)

all of them were really cool to me and my friends, good memories :)

bleep
06-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh! Also! I didn't meet him, because I had never really listened to his music at the time... but I watched The Mars Volta/A Perfect Circle with Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, like he was sitting next to me. He was drunk and he nodded to me and he made sure to not get in my way, so he was a nice drunk.
is Julian ridiculously good looking in real life?

sin213
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
yes i have. met maynard james keenen, danny carey, mike patton, trent reznor, josh freese, to name a few...

seandlr
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
At Dinosaur Jr. tonight I met Zach De La Rocha and Henry Rollins. Henry's shorter and less buff than I had imagined.

UGH!!!
It is my dream to meet ZDLR. His lyrics have changed my life tremendously, and it is him and RATM that have shaped my activism, and im sure theyve heard that a million times, but im so passionate. Better yet, I want to interveiw him. I have the Battle of Los Angeles logo-man tatooed along my right torso and its not filled in because when I meet ZDLR i am going to have him sign it and get his signature tatooed. I heard he lives in Silver Lake... Ive considered seaching the town.

anyways, anyways, so, was he nice? PICTURE?!

but as for who I have met, its only been Slug, Tom Gabel, Amanda Palmer and thats really it. I also met Weezer back in 2001 at Coachella. I was only 12

seandlr
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
and I would die to meet Kathleen Hannah

orbit
06-24-2009, 03:52 PM
i met beck when he played a secret show in dallas on 06. we talked for a while, but then giovanni ribisi called him and he left.

i met kevin shields at atp for the first time. since then i've met the band in 4 other shows, and hang out with them at the after parties.

i talked with david byrne after the show in dallas 2 weeks ago.

i also met harvey van cliburn during the van cliburn competition in fort worth a few weeks ago. we talked many times in different days. really nice guy and probably the most joyful music celebrity i've ever met.

Alchemy
06-24-2009, 05:02 PM
is Julian ridiculously good looking in real life?

I don't remember. I thought he was a regular guy, and I kept thinking that throughout the entire Mars Volta set, and then my friend told me during the break, "That's Julian Casablancas from the Strokes." And I think I said, "I've never heard them." He left his seat and went walking around backstage after about two songs from A Perfect Circle and my friend said that other members of The Strokes were walking around too, but only Casablancas sat with us.

I also saw my history teacher sitting right behind me that day. Everybody was there!

Bud Luster
06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
I dont really geek out on music stars. Sports stars on the other hand, make me nervous...

stinkbutt
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
yes i have. met maynard james keenen, danny carey, mike patton, trent reznor, josh freese, to name a few...

I've heard Patton is a dick in person care to confirm or deny?

bballarl
06-24-2009, 07:03 PM
I forgot that I met Zach de la Rocha at the 7-11 on Washington and Lincoln. He confirmed to me RATM were reuniting and headlining Coachella about 3 weeks before the line-up announcement. Really nice guy. Not a hero but I love his band.

I just need to meet The Strokes and Jack White and my life will be complete. And Noel Gallagher.

MissingPerson
06-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Further to what somebody said earlier, I'd have trouble thinking of Jack White as a fun guy to meet...?

I can imagine him being fairly fan-shy and uncomfortable.

beavington
06-24-2009, 07:23 PM
and I would die to meet Kathleen Hannah

Two of the big shocks in my life of meeting people were how nice Kathleen Hannah and Lydia Lunch are.

I think those are the only two people I have ever had a lengthy conversation with. But everyone says Lydia has a thing for young latin boys so that could explain why she was extra nice to me. and I was talking music with Kathleen and a few months later she was talking in an interview about an artist I told her she should listen to. Thought that was cool, but couldve been random.

seandlr
06-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Two of the big shocks in my life of meeting people were how nice Kathleen Hannah and Lydia Lunch are.

I think those are the only two people I have ever had a lengthy conversation with. But everyone says Lydia has a thing for young latin boys so that could explain why she was extra nice to me. and I was talking music with Kathleen and a few months later she was talking in an interview about an artist I told her she should listen to. Thought that was cool, but couldve been random.

Wow. I would assume she would be very real with her fans. I'm glad to hear she is nice. My time will come, and life will be that much better. I also think she is very attractive

seandlr
06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I forgot that I met Zach de la Rocha at the 7-11 on Washington and Lincoln. He confirmed to me RATM were reuniting and headlining Coachella about 3 weeks before the line-up announcement. Really nice guy. Not a hero but I love his band.

I just need to meet The Strokes and Jack White and my life will be complete. And Noel Gallagher.

I heard about you meeting ZDLR in another thread. Did you happen to get a picture? Did it seem as if he was willing to have a conversation with you?

meyouseek
06-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I was next in line for Mike Patton's signing at Coachella a few years back and they cut it off. Lame. Still have yet to meet my idol. I haven't heard that he's a jerk in person, but as long as he keeps making good music I'm not sure I care.

bug on your lip
06-25-2009, 07:39 AM
GWhV2l9QPxw

watch this video and try & tell me Steve Kilbey isn't one of the coolest mutha fukkas on this planet !!!!

coincidentally, this video was shot in Minneapolis... i only found that out a couple years ago.. always thought it was L.A. or Sydney

liquidsnake28
06-25-2009, 08:50 AM
I've met Patrick Swayze.

Pixiessp
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
were you in ride for a line, if so, what ride?! i would probably give robert smith a bigger hug than mickey :x

and i did get to meet andy c once. he's not really my absolute favourite anymore, but he was at the time. we didn't get to talk really, but he was super friendly about signing things & taking pics with people, thank god my ex-boyfriend had the balls to ask for a pic cause i was too drunk to ask (and look at the camera apparently, andy c had to point to the camera for me, lol):

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/584325-3/me_and_andy_c_san_diego_may_2004.jpg

I never answered you, Ivy. I'm sorry.

One of the workers at Disneyland commented on my Cure T-shirt and told me they were there. The guys name was Robert and he said he gave Robert Smith his name badge. I immediately went hunting for him and in the process saw Porl coming out of the Bear Country ride. Found Robert eating somewhere in the park. I didn't want to disturb him while he was eating but thought I would never get another chance. I walked up to him and said(verbatim)
" Hi, Robert. I just wanted to say Hi and I will see you tomorrow at the show ". He nodded and said something I couldn't make out. At least I think he said something. I was so star struck I could barely walk away. I felt like i was going to trip over my own feet. After that I saw him and Simon and Roger at the Peter Pan ride. Plus....I will never forget the image of Robert walking toward the ride and the silhouette of his massive fright wig against the lights behind him. My girlfriend had a lengthy conversation with Simon and one of his mates while we were in line. I could not speak at all.

amyzzz
07-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Wow. What an excellent place to meet The Cure! That sounds so cool.

Pixiessp
07-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I purposely went there that particular day because I read Robert loves Disneyland and it was the day before their huge Dodger Stadium show.

This was also the first time i saw The Pixies in concert.
They and Love and Rockets were also on the bill.

amyzzz
07-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Luck was with you that weekend. Well, either luck or determination.

Boourns
07-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I was determined to meet My Bloody Valentine when they played LA last year, and I did. They are all very nice people. And yes, Bilinda is very <3. She shared her cupcake (more like cupgaze, amirite) with NMH and I. Deb has lots of interesting stories and such.

Met Jarvis Cocker in Brighton this year and almost didn't. I was waiting at the wrong place but luckily the kind merch girl saw me and gave me a heads up so I met him right before he rode off for the night. He was very gracious when it came to signing things for people and taking photos. He apologized for the Coachella lateness and I told him it wasn't his fault and things had been fucked up on that stage all weekend.

I stuck around both nights when Arcade Fire played the Troubadour and got them all to sign my CD. Regine handed me her setlist and after the second show I apologized to Win for the retardedness of the crowd.

And of course, I've met Asobi Seksu. They're all great. Yuki is very sweet and even sneaked me a couple stickers (venue said they were not allowed to give them away).

Briefly met Sigur Ros last year in San Diego. They were in a hurry to get to the tour bus and I think they were drunk.

Briefly met Emily Haines after her solo show at the Viper Room a few years ago. She wasn't open to photographs (she covered her face), and all I had was my cell phone, and the photo didn't even come out anyway, but very cool.

Amanda Palmer was awesome this year at Coachella. She liked my space cape and asked to borrow it.

Annie Clark, aka St. Vincent said she remembered me from Coachella when I met her again this year but I can't imagine how that's possible. She's great.

Edit: Emmy the Great. She chatted with me briefly while on-stage and when she came down to the crowd after the show and handed me a setlist.

Also met: Muse, Xiu Xiu, two of the girls from Eisley, Deerhoof, one half of Pattern Is Movement, Elizabeth Wright of Love Grenades, Annie Hardy of Giant Drag, Tunde Adebimpe of TVotR, probably more that I can't recall off the top of my head.

I really, really need to meet Radiohead. And Chan Marshall. Those would be the idols I still need to meet the most. Also hoping to meet Bat for Lashes after the Fonda show (never tried this at the Fonda, how easy/hard will this be?).

Pixiessp
07-17-2009, 05:35 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/Pixiessp/joannandaaron.jpg
Not my idols but I met "hymn and her" last year.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/Pixiessp/joannandarianna.jpg

ivankay
07-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I purposely went there that particular day because I read Robert loves Disneyland and it was the day before their huge Dodger Stadium show.

This was also the first time i saw The Pixies in concert.
They and Love and Rockets were also on the bill.

i know i posted this before, but you made it appropriate for another appearance:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3176/3023613231_9f76dd11a6.jpg

Alchemy
07-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I've met Boz Boorer and the gang, but Morrissey was nowhere to be found. This was a couple years ago. Nobody else was around but me and my friends and we got to hang out with them outside their busses while they ate food and smoked weed after the show.

emtgreg
07-17-2009, 07:05 PM
That was a good night with Boourns and NMH, meeting Kevin, Bilinda, Debbie and Colm...

Colm's Nieces were fucking awesome, but that is not a story for here :) (Boourns and NMH can attest to watching that...lol)

I failed to mention that I met them all again magically at Coachella, as I nursed my painful feet Saturday Night this year in VIP drinking my gin...

They were again, super friendly, I met Amanda Palmer again and Zoe Keating (ohai) while I was standing in line for my gin...

Meeting Jack Johnson was lulz, I will say he is a really kind person...

Encountering Lindsay Lohan was too brief last year...but that again, is not a story for here :)

Boourns
07-17-2009, 07:39 PM
The girls were Colm's nieces?

Does your Alice Glass encounter count?

And what about Uffie? Oh right, this thread is for musicians, nevermind.

Boourns
07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
And speaking of lulz, I met josh groban.

JewFace
07-17-2009, 07:48 PM
I can't say I've met too many of my musical idols. Am I alone in this? I actually prefer to keep those who I truly idolize at a slight distance and up on that pedestal where they belong. I don't feel compelled to tell them how their music "got me through a really difficult time" and fawn over them like some school girl. I'm not trying to slight any of your experiences and I've done the same on occasion. I think it's awesome that you got to meet some people you greatly admire, but I just don't have that desire to see what their signature looks like on my limited edition double lp cover.

I have met some musicians/artists I admire, for sure, just none that I would consider my musical idols. They include:

Rufus Wainwright - who was exceedingly drunk, probably high and smelled bad. He was, however, incredibly funny, very friendly and even bought me a beer at the (old) Largo way back when he was playing to tiny crowds in coffee shops and lounges. Thank goodness I could grow facial hair in high school.

Martha Wainright - similar situation, but less drunk and high.

Nikka Costa - gorgeous, warm, funny, sassy. In the VIP bar area after a gig.

The great American composer Gian Carlo Menotti - at an LA Philharmonic party. He was incredibly warm. He did most of the talking. We just fawned over him and told him what a pleasure it was to sing his work.

The great American composer Elliott Carter - at the same very party. He asked me to get him a glass of champagne. I think he thought I was the help.

Fiona Apple - Randomly ran into her at Whole Foods in downtown SD. I'm pretty sure she wasn't playing a gig that day, too. A paper fell out of her purse, I picked it up, tapped her on the shoulder and said "ma'am, you dropped this." I was a tad taken aback when she turned around. A smille and a "Goddamn it! Thanks so much!" was all I got.

Shirley MacLaine - This one counts because I'm pretty sure she recorded one or two albums in her day. Or at least she did a few concerts. I briefly lived in LA and picked up work through a catering company. I worked a party in Beverly Hills that some producer was holding two years ago. The host and his wife were very sweet and very laid back and when we were done serving they allowed us to literally join the party and mingle. I didn't stay in this line of work for long, but in my experience that was pretty much unheard of. So, I happily took them up on their offer. Most of the attendees were "behind the scenes" folks none of whom I recognized. I ended up sitting on a lounge chair in their beautiful lawn admiring the sunset. This older woman was seated next to me with this giant white hat pulled down. She turned to me and said "Nice view, huh kid?" and I said, "Yes, it's gorgeous" and turned to her, extended my hand and said "I'm Andrew" and she took my hand and said "Shirley." And, of course, I suddenly realized whose hand I was holding and I almost wet myself. I did everything you're not supposed to do. I told her how much I admired her, how I'd loved her work in The Apartment and The Children's Hour and Terms of Endearment and how she was the epitome of a great screen actor and how I looked up to her and hoped to be just like her one day (not sure you want to hear that from some dude in a rented tux if you're Shirley MacLaine) and I didn't care what other people said, it was fantastic that she was able to communicate with the spirit world, etc. She was incredibly gracious and kept saying "Thank you" over and over. Until she finally interrupted me and said, "That's so nice to hear. Get me another slice of cake, would you?"

Stephen Sondheim - at a gala celebrating his 75th Birthday. A man of fierce intellect and a very matter-of-fact assessment of his incredible talent. He said some complimentary things about my friend and I who had briefly performed and I pretty much walked on air for a week. Okay, that one was pretty damn cool.

Boourns
07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh I met Frank Stallone

MissingPerson
07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, alright.

Hypothetical situation. Somehow, you have ended up in a situation where you have just casually, accidentally, met your greatest musical idol. You didn't have to approach them, so it's not weird or obnoxious on your part, but you do have to break the ice. So whadda ya say?

Boourns
07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
"can I poop in your mouth?"

MissingPerson
07-17-2009, 08:02 PM
What did Jarvis say back?

Pixiessp
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
i know i posted this before, but you made it appropriate for another appearance:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3176/3023613231_9f76dd11a6.jpg

Twas a magnificent show.

HunterGather
07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't say they are my musical idols, but I did meet Daft Punk and Massive Attack after their shows.

Was a pretty awesome experience.
I met everyone from the 2006 tour (3D, Daddy G, Horace, Liz Frazer, her husband, Deborah Miller, their guitarist).
The first of their 3 nights in NY, i met them with some others at the back entrance of the venue.
The last night of their stay, I met someone who got me in backstage (or upstairs, rather) where they had a meet-n-greet sort of with a bunch of people.

I met Daft Punk at Red Rocks almost accidentally. My buddy attempted to get us backstage with a believable story, but it didn't work out.
We went to wait for our ride to pick us up by where their tour busses were at.
All of a sudden a van pulls up with the 'bots and a small entourage (including DJ Falcon).
Me and a few other fans who waited out got to chat with them for a bit and snag some pics.
They were late for the Colorado after party, so they needed to roll out. But they stuck with us for a good 5 minutes or so.

boarderwoozel3
07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Sort of met Greg Heston from Bad Religion/Circle Jerks after a Circle Jerks show the other year. He was drinking in the club's bar after the show and pretty much blew me off after a failed attempt at chit chat on my part. Oh well.

Had a pretty decent conversation with Eric Melvin from NoFx before one a show in Davis, CA. He's really shy at first but I was young (17) so he fucked with me a little. Said they were only going to play songs off the new album.

emtgreg
07-17-2009, 09:32 PM
The girls were Colm's nieces?

Does your Alice Glass encounter count?

And what about Uffie? Oh right, this thread is for musicians, nevermind.

Alice Glass fell on top of me, the fact that her boobs accidentally ended up molesting me does not qualify as "meeting" her.

The Uffie story is lulz.

Yes, they were Colm's nieces, remember how i was like "omfg I might get a mainstage wristband!!" I know I told you, and Suprefan like 4 times...

Turns out that GV won't just give out a mainstage wristband to a niece of a drummer of a subheadliner, just so said niece could give it to some dude they "met at the el rey".

emtgreg
07-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, alright.

Hypothetical situation. Somehow, you have ended up in a situation where you have just casually, accidentally, met your greatest musical idol. You didn't have to approach them, so it's not weird or obnoxious on your part, but you do have to break the ice. So whadda ya say?

"sup bro!!"

"wanna drink some brewskis??"

"dude, we can hang out"

"play some wii"

"I can fuck you in the ass"

Boourns
07-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Alice Glass fell on top of me, the fact that her boobs accidentally ended up molesting me does not qualify as "meeting" her.

The Uffie story is lulz.

Yes, they were Colm's nieces, remember how i was like "omfg I might get a mainstage wristband!!" I know I told you, and Suprefan like 4 times...

Turns out that GV won't just give out a mainstage wristband to a niece of a drummer of a subheadliner, just so said niece could give it to some dude they "met at the el rey".

Yeah, I remember about the wristband that could have been, but not their actual heritage.

And being "accidentally molested" is way better than any conversation or autograph.

Pixiessp
07-17-2009, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't say they are my musical idols, but I did meet Daft Punk and Massive Attack after their shows.

Was a pretty awesome experience.
I met everyone from the 2006 tour (3D, Daddy G, Horace, Liz Frazer, her husband, Deborah Miller, their guitarist).
The first of their 3 nights in NY, i met them with some others at the back entrance of the venue.
The last night of their stay, I met someone who got me in backstage (or upstairs, rather) where they had a meet-n-greet sort of with a bunch of people.

I met Daft Punk at Red Rocks almost accidentally. My buddy attempted to get us backstage with a believable story, but it didn't work out.
We went to wait for our ride to pick us up by where their tour busses were at.
All of a sudden a van pulls up with the 'bots and a small entourage (including DJ Falcon).
Me and a few other fans who waited out got to chat with them for a bit and snag some pics.
They were late for the Colorado after party, so they needed to roll out. But they stuck with us for a good 5 minutes or so.

You met Liz Fraser? Did she burn a hole through you with her eyes?
I wouldn't mind if she burned a hole through me with those eyes.

HunterGather
07-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Ya rly.
She seemed a little shy. She took pics with people n stuff, but she seemed a little reserved. And now that you mention it, her eyes were very piercing!
But very nice.

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 06:16 AM
I can't say I've met too many of my musical idols. Am I alone in this? I actually prefer to keep those who I truly idolize at a slight distance and up on that pedestal where they belong. I don't feel compelled to tell them how their music "got me through a really difficult time" and fawn over them like some school girl. I'm not trying to slight any of your experiences and I've done the same on occasion. I think it's awesome that you got to meet some people you greatly admire, but I just don't have that desire to see what their signature looks like on my limited edition double lp cover....What... the fuck? You haven't really met anyone and then proceed to list all the famous people you've met? :nono Sometimes I hate you people from LA.

MuseRadio
07-18-2009, 07:09 AM
I'm a die-hard Pumpkins fan and have met Billy Corgan 3 times. Contrary the rumors about him, he is one of the nicest and kindest people I've ever met. So sweet and awesome everytime I've talked to him. On the other side, I've met James Iha before who was a TOTAL rude asshole. Go figure....

Next up on the list, MJK from Tool/APC....

JustSteve
07-18-2009, 07:29 AM
What... the fuck? You haven't really met anyone and then proceed to list all the famous people you've met? :nono Sometimes I hate you people from LA.

people's toes must hurt right now from dropping all these names! it's the "have you ever met your music idol" thread, singular. not "how many famous people have you met so you can seem cooler than everyone else" thread.

amyzzz
07-18-2009, 08:04 AM
omg, you're (gasp) supporting my statement! Thank you, Steve.

TallGuyCM
07-18-2009, 08:56 AM
people's toes must hurt right now from dropping all these names! it's the "have you ever met your music idol" thread, singular. not "how many famous people have you met so you can seem cooler than everyone else" thread.

In that case, my answer is no. :)

JewFace
07-18-2009, 10:06 AM
What... the fuck? You haven't really met anyone and then proceed to list all the famous people you've met? :nono Sometimes I hate you people from LA.

Firstly, not from LA. Secondly, I haven't met any of my musical idols. I've met some people I admire or like but none I would consider absolute idols.

emtgreg
07-18-2009, 10:20 AM

Oh, well in that case, yes, I have met Psychic Friend, my musical Idol! (what? She does karaoke!)

Boourns
07-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Says the guy boasting about his free all-access Coachella hookup with every post he makes.

Ardentbiscuit
07-18-2009, 10:44 AM
I met Lush, Cocteau Twins, David Bowie, and Jarvis Cocker.

So I'm good for now.

And Suede.

Boourns
07-18-2009, 10:49 AM

So I'm good for now.

And Suede.

This is what most of the board would do if they ever met Bowie...

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/5/7/2/572c70096a42705ad73355a14283b91d.gif

Ardentbiscuit
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Well, it was kinda weird. I won tickets to the world premiere of La Femme Nikita (The French movie not the tv series or American remake) through Rolling Stone Magazine and somehow we got seated right next to him and Iman. My friend who's braver than me , he started the conversation. It was cool.

My friend is much braver than I. He is the one who got us talking to Jarvis because he was standing next to us in the crowd before Pulp went on during Menswear's set.

Boourns
07-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I was hoping to meet Bowie a couple years ago on a video shoot but when I got there, we were told that he canceled his appearance, which in other words means it was all a bullshit hoax.

emtgreg
07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
This is what most of the board would do if they ever met Bowie...

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/5/7/2/572c70096a42705ad73355a14283b91d.gif

Also, other several other artists as well, besides Bowie!!

Boourns
07-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Also, other several other artists as well, besides Bowie!!

I hope I wasn't like that when I met you-know-who, but I probably was.

gaypalmsprings
07-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I would have liked to meet Patsy Cline, Buddy Holly, Barry White, Michael Jackson, Jim Morrison, John Lennon & George Harrison. I still would like to meet Donna Summer - but I doubt that will ever happen.

I have met Jeff Gordon my #1 icon in any category.

miscorrections
07-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Donna Summer talks about having multiple personalities during concerts.

gaypalmsprings
07-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Donna Summer talks about having multiple personalities during concerts.

I'd be willing meet any of her personalities. :dumbo

Boourns
07-18-2009, 11:01 AM
I want to see if it's true that Chan Marshall's accent changes to several different ones over the course of a conversation.

MissingPerson
09-08-2009, 05:11 PM
So yeah. Just in case there's anywhere on the internet that I haven't babbled to about it, I met this guy:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/RichardReedParry-October2007.jpg/400px-RichardReedParry-October2007.jpg

and I got him to laugh. So as far as I'm concerned, this year is pretty much tidy for me and 2010 will have a hard time topping it.

paulb
09-08-2009, 05:14 PM
http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/dailydish/2009/07/20/beastie285x378.JPG

I made this guy laugh in Las Vegas in 06....that was a highlight of my life as well.

HunterGather
09-08-2009, 05:35 PM
What did you do/say?

MissingPerson
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
PaulB, judging by that photo, you were working with a tough audience. Kudos to you. :D

What did you do/say?

Gave him an Irish citizen passport cover, one for him and each of the folks in Bell Orchestre -

http://www.emerald-isle-gifts.com/images/articulos/wal04.jpg

- and told him to come back soon. He blushed. At some point shortly after, I completely forgot how sentences are supposed to work, but that was by no means his fault, he is a fantastic dude to talk to and really, really sweet. Didn't want to ask for a photo or anything, but this lad did, so just pretend that's me on the left:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2533/3899161355_ea0db47728.jpg

The guy is sound, through and through.

bug on your lip
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM

So I'm good for now.

And Suede.

whoaa..whoaa.whooaaaaaaaa

LUSH !!??!?

please tell me the story !!!

ElBlueblazer
09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm a die-hard Pumpkins fan and have met Billy Corgan 3 times. Contrary the rumors about him, he is one of the nicest and kindest people I've ever met. So sweet and awesome everytime I've talked to him. On the other side, I've met James Iha before who was a TOTAL rude asshole. Go figure....

Next up on the list, MJK from Tool/APC....

i met him a few times as well, its been 50/50 on attitude. ive seen both Billy's! the prick and the nice guy!!
this a was one of the good times!!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/kevinblaze/l_1be7759f26d48c50b827ed1991c606-1.jpg

cansei de ser sexme
09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I talked to bruce springsteen in hollywood although I had never purposefully listened to the man's music in my life.

MissingPerson
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/kevinblaze/l_1be7759f26d48c50b827ed1991c606-1.jpg

He's doing some sort of reverse Thom Yorke impression.

ElBlueblazer
09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
He's doing some sort of reverse Thom Yorke impression.

haha no cock eye here!! it smelled funny back there, he could have had a contact high!!

MissingPerson
09-10-2009, 07:53 PM
It's a sweet photo. And it's nice to know he's capable of not being a jerk. That's the Billy I want to believe in, dammit.