PDA

View Full Version : I NEED DANCE MUSIC SUGGESTIONS!!!

esy191
06-16-2009, 01:39 AM
So I'm a beginner DJ and I use Traktor Pro. I'm trying to fill up my playlist with enough music so that I don't have to repeat myself too much from set to set and I also don't have to struggle to find the right song for the right moment. So far my catalog has a little over 200 songs (not including acapella tracks) but I'm always looking for more to add.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on songs you know of that have worked great or you think would work great in a DJ set.

Here are some screen shots of the the tracks I already have in my playlist, if you're suggestion is already on that list, then there's no need to suggest it!

NOTE: With a few exceptions, I list remixes under the name of the remixer with the original artist in brackets next to the title.

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/esy191/Picture1.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/esy191/Picture2.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/esy191/Picture3.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/esy191/Picture6.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/esy191/Picture7.png

JClemy
06-16-2009, 02:20 AM
You don't have any Hot Chip, Goose, Junkie XL, Basement Jaxx or Simian. I'm sorry. I can't help. There are too many songs and too many genres you are missing.

What kind of DJ are you? I'm assuming not wedding.

SFChrissy
06-16-2009, 05:09 AM
The art of djing is digging for records and discovering gems through your exploration. Its not handed to you!!!

GnarVee
06-16-2009, 05:37 AM
The art of djing is digging for records and discovering gems through your exploration. Its not handed to you!!!

fuckn right!

and most shit you'll find is ahead if its time......

gaypalmsprings
06-16-2009, 06:09 AM
http://madeinbrazilmag.com/hotties/mrgaypoa-dj.jpg

bug on your lip
06-16-2009, 06:39 AM
http://www.flywash.com/m_super_greg/sg_6.jpg

samnco
06-16-2009, 07:14 AM
ALWAYS with the pictures...

frozen pilgrim
06-16-2009, 07:20 AM
the OP can't be any older than maybe 15.

buddy, we're not going to sit here and do your work for you.

it's a little out of date, but try searching for "ishkur's guide to electronic music". that's a decent place to start educating yourself.

Alchemy
06-16-2009, 08:12 AM
If you're djing at weddings or similar events, than you're doing it wrong. Otherwise, make your own music and ditch the dj gig. People can use an iPod for these songs at a party, but original electronic acts are a real gem to have.

gaypalmsprings
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
What about...

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/040415/155825__prince_l.jpg

JClemy
06-16-2009, 08:22 AM
What about...

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/040415/155825__prince_l.jpg

Good point!

The purple one is totally needed for later in the night when people want to get closer.

Distorted_Jungle
06-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Everyone on here is right research for yourself to find the tracks you are looking for. Take sets you listen to and search for track listings, essential mixes are the best for that because all track listings for essential mixes are on the Radio 1 website. Another thing is that i guarantee you don't know the tracks you have inside and out, take the time to actually learn your tracks and mix them into as many songs as you can. Take a day and pick a track and mix it with as many songs as you find possible, do this with all your tracks in your library. Track selection is very important but how you mix it is more important, i have heard a lot of DJ's spin the same tracks in different sets but mixing it different and it never gets old. These are my suggestions for an up and comming dj like myself, the most important being learn your tracks because if you don't know your tracks you can't really mix em.

Donaldj
06-16-2009, 09:16 AM
You honestly have enough material to work with there to last awhile. Back when people used to actually buy vinyl, DJs had to be a lot more selective with what they did and did not take to a gig. There are only so many record crates you can haul to one spot. You had to really know and cherish those tracks you took with you to play out. Now a days with digital DJing people get so lost in trying to have a really huge library of music they have lost a degree of intimacy with the music they choose to play.

frozen pilgrim
06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
that's an excellent poiint

marooko
06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
this gave me a fucking hard-on.

You honestly have enough material to work with there to last awhile. Back when people used to actually buy vinyl, DJs had to be a lot more selective with what they did and did not take to a gig. There are only so many record crates you can haul to one spot. You had to really know and cherish those tracks you took with you to play out. Now a days with digital DJing people get so lost in trying to have a really huge library of music they have lost a degree of intimacy with the music they chose to play.

i was gonna be rude, but this says it pretty nicely. just learn to use what you have. learn to use it well. then, maybe go get new tracks.

SFChrissy
06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
You honestly have enough material to work with there to last awhile. Back when people used to actually buy vinyl, DJs had to be a lot more selective with what they did and did not take to a gig. There are only so many record crates you can haul to one spot. You had to really know and cherish those tracks you took with you to play out. Now a days with digital DJing people get so lost in trying to have a really huge library of music they have lost a degree of intimacy with the music they chose to play.
Lovely!!!

betao
06-16-2009, 06:25 PM
To the thread starter:

Just a heads up, people were making dance music before the year 2003.

Just so you know.

Donaldj
06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Matt: He's representing 1999 with Sandstorm there ;)

SLMEJOR
06-17-2009, 12:57 AM
To the thread starter:

Just a heads up, people were making dance music before the year 2003.

Just so you know.

wrong. Vengaboys were forged in the fires of mount doom in '97 and proceeded to invent dance music in '98 with "We Like to Party"

frozen pilgrim
06-17-2009, 01:01 AM
uh, then he's right.

SLMEJOR
06-17-2009, 01:07 AM
EFF. I RETRACT MY ENTIRE ARGUMENT.

JClemy
06-17-2009, 01:14 AM
You honestly have enough material to work with there to last awhile. Back when people used to actually buy vinyl, DJs had to be a lot more selective with what they did and did not take to a gig. There are only so many record crates you can haul to one spot. You had to really know and cherish those tracks you took with you to play out. Now a days with digital DJing people get so lost in trying to have a really huge library of music they have lost a degree of intimacy with the music they choose to play.

Nicely said. With no pictures or sarcasm too. Good on you!

frozen pilgrim
06-17-2009, 01:17 AM
if I had anything of value to contribute to this thread, it's this:

focus more on your actual mixing skills. traktor pro is an incredibly powerful piece of software. get yourself intimately acquainted with the cue banks and loop controls, and the xone filters. figure out your beat grids, and take the time to learn harmonic mixing. with all the tools available to the digital DJ today, your live remixes can be damn near indistinguishable from the originals, so the differences in your sets are limited only by your imagination.

higgybaby23
06-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Make sure you have The Electric Slide and/or Cha Cha. Oh, and The Chicken Dance. People really seem to like that YMCA song too. It might be handy to get some Garth Brooks and Soulja Boy.

betao
06-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Matt: He's representing 1999 with Sandstorm there ;)

hah. sir if I remember correctly it was you who hated zane lowe's set simply because he played sandstorm.

chairmenmeow47
06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
whoa, reading the first song on your list took me back to the turn of the century. definitely a good idea to get some new suggestions :)

Donaldj
06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
hah. sir if I remember correctly it was you who hated zane lowe's set simply because he played sandstorm.

I was being sarcastic...

captncrzy
06-17-2009, 12:55 PM
"I want to be a DJ. My grandma got me this Traktor Pro thing for my bat mitzvah. What songs should I put on it so I know when to play the right thing at the right time?"

Dumbass.

faxman75
06-17-2009, 01:03 PM
BiGod 20 - Like a Prayer

Donaldj
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
BiGod 20 - Like a Prayer

HAHAHAHA. I actually like that track.

faxman75
06-17-2009, 01:35 PM
HAHAHAHA. I actually like that track.

It's pretty awesome actually and I have never seen an empty dance floor when it's played. It's a pretty forgotten track at this point too, right? I don't know much about edm or club music but I know that track is all DANCE!

Donaldj
06-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Well it's 20 years old now. It's pretty much been retired to 80s dance nights/new beat/industrial clubs at this point.

faxman75
06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Figured as much. I made a mix for Bonnaroo this past weekend that had all old school industrial. It included that song. It also had some Nitzer Ebb, KMFDM, Chemical Bros., Prodigy, Killing Joke and such.

I love the 90's :lool

betao
06-17-2009, 06:46 PM
I was being sarcastic...

Yeah I figured you were. I just wanted to bring that up for some reason. Felt like you could use some nostalgic Sahara tent action or something.