PDA

View Full Version : Need a car... suggestions?

JebusLives
06-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Since I already work for an evil oilsands company, i'm trying to limit my emissions as much as possible (I'm a dealer not a user, see?). I live downtown and walk to work, so it will mostly be sitting in the heated garage downstairs... as such I think i'm eliminating hybrids since I will never, ever recoup the additional cost given how little I drive (I've had no car at all for 3 years now).

Generally speaking I want to get out to the mountains for camping / hiking, and the occasional run to the suburbs. A decent stereo certainly doesn't hurt.

Currently leaning towards leasing a 2009 Honda Fit EX. Any other suggestions in that price range / class?

M Sparks
06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
There isn't much IN that price range/class. Nissan Versa is slightly roomier, but it's hard to go wrong with a Honda. I have not heard particularly good things about the Toyota Yaris.

My wife has a Hyundai Accent with 140,000 miles on it. It's not so comfy, but I'm sure the new ones are better than hers, they are dirt cheap, and they have great warrenties. They are not suitable for off roading, though.

Depending on how rugged you want to get in the mountains, you might want to look at a Subaru Outback Sport. A regular Outback is pretty huge, expensive, and nerdy. But an Outback Sport is actually an Impreza with a slightly jacked up suspension. It's got all-wheel drive, and is probably only a few thousand more than a Fit. (Imprezas are the cheapest and smallest Subarus)

Disclosure- I drive a Honda Element, and I do advertising for a Nissan/Subaru dealer. Also, I live in Flagstaff, AZ, which has the highest Subaru to resident ratio in the nation, simply because of the awful winters. They might not be as "cool" where you live.

Suffacated
06-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Currently leaning towards leasing a 2009 Honda Fit EX. Any other suggestions in that price range / class?

I think that's an excellent choice.

M Sparks.....Brats were the shit back in the day!

frenzplz
06-09-2009, 08:37 PM
THE FIT IS GO!

frozen pilgrim
06-09-2009, 09:15 PM
actuallt spent some time in an 08 fit bombing around LA- it holds up fine, feels nice enough. best value for the money, that's for sure.

JebusLives
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
There isn't much IN that price range/class. Nissan Versa is slightly roomier, but it's hard to go wrong with a Honda. I have not heard particularly good things about the Toyota Yaris.

My wife has a Hyundai Accent with 140,000 miles on it. It's not so comfy, but I'm sure the new ones are better than hers, they are dirt cheap, and they have great warrenties. They are not suitable for off roading, though.

Depending on how rugged you want to get in the mountains, you might want to look at a Subaru Outback Sport. A regular Outback is pretty huge, expensive, and nerdy. But an Outback Sport is actually an Impreza with a slightly jacked up suspension. It's got all-wheel drive, and is probably only a few thousand more than a Fit. (Imprezas are the cheapest and smallest Subarus)

Disclosure- I drive a Honda Element, and I do advertising for a Nissan/Subaru dealer. Also, I live in Flagstaff, AZ, which has the highest Subaru to resident ratio in the nation, simply because of the awful winters. They might not be as "cool" where you live.

thanks for the suggestion... definitely a fan of the impreza but even the base model (5-door) is around 4k more than the Fit EX. AWD would really be nice, but i'll probably just park the car in bad weather. You have me thinking for ski trips, though...

psychic friend
06-10-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.strangenewproducts.com/uploaded_images/zap-smart-car.jpg

justinaqui
06-10-2009, 01:55 PM
There are a lot of nice used cars for $16,500 out there that won't immediately depreciate like a brand new car. I bought a new car when I graduated college, and while I love it I don't think I'll ever do it again. 3 years & 50,000 miles later, it's worth almost $7,000 less.

edit, nevermind I just realized you said leasing. hard to lease a used car probably.