PDA

View Full Version : google wave

Pages : [1] 2

shakermaker113
06-08-2009, 09:14 PM
has anyone else seen this? google is reinventing the internet.

I'll see if there's a video of highlights or something. 1 hr 20 mins is a bit much to sit through, and a lot of it is the general ass kissing and self praise that always goes on at conferences.

v_UyVmITiYQ

Gribbz
06-08-2009, 09:22 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DJArcLight/ss1.gif
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DJArcLight/ss2.gif

I did hear a little about this. Pretty good idea.

shakermaker113
06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
alright no condensed video. suck.

but it looks awesome. conversations will exist indpendent of any particular platform. you can reply to a part of a conversation instead of just replying to the entire thing. live updates as other people edit things. the message board will never be the same.

PotVsKtl
06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
That's pretty fucking amazing.

suprefan
06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
So youtube will let them post 80 mins of vid? And I cant post a video if its 1 meg over a gig or 10 minutes and 2 seconds, LAME.

Courtney
06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
One of my friends posted that video on his twitter feed a few days ago all excited, but I didn't have the patience to sit through enough of the video to figure out what exactly Google Wave is.

PotVsKtl
06-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I mean it's incredibly simple, they took Ajax and made it object oriented. But so well.

Sleepingrock
06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
So youtube will let them post 80 mins of vid? And I cant post a video if its 1 meg over a gig or 10 minutes and 2 seconds, LAME.

QZdhcNegZgU

Reefer madness is also allowed

shakermaker113
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM

well they do own it.

One of my friends posted that video on his twitter feed a few days ago all excited, but I didn't have the patience to sit through enough of the video to figure out what exactly Google Wave is.

it makes everything so much more easily stored, shared, edited. in a conversation you can reply to the part of the message you are commenting on instead of just replying to the entire thing. you can play back a history of who said what when. if it's a document that can be edited by multiple people you can see who is editing as they edit it. if someone is writing a reply you see the reply as they type it. if you choose to share it elsewhere (e.g. a blog) people on the blog will see comments made in google wave and vice-versa, in real time. so a conversation could have people contributing from google wave, facebook, and some blog all at once. you can get live updates of it all without refreshing. (minus a few instances they haven't gotten working yet).

PotVsKtl
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
The most impressive part of that whole presentation was the information that Google has a toolkit that lets you build apps in Java and translates them to HTML.

rage patton
06-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I am retarded and know nothing about computers. With that information in mind, in idiot speak, could someone tell me what this does and what is so amazing about it?

superfiction
06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
seriously the future is now

JClemy
06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I am retarded and know nothing about computers. With that information in mind, in idiot speak, could someone tell me what this does and what is so amazing about it?

Thank you Rage. I was thinking the same thing. It looks pretty cool but I don't know what it does.

Courtney
06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
it makes everything so much more easily stored, shared, edited. in a conversation you can reply to the part of the message you are commenting on instead of just replying to the entire thing. you can play back a history of who said what when. if it's a document that can be edited by multiple people you can see who is editing as they edit it. if someone is writing a reply you see the reply as they type it. if you choose to share it elsewhere (e.g. a blog) people on the blog will see comments made in google wave and vice-versa, in real time. so a conversation could have people contributing from google wave, facebook, and some blog all at once. you can get live updates of it all without refreshing. (minus a few instances they haven't gotten working yet).

Ok yeah, that does sound pretty neat.

superfiction
06-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Thank you Rage. I was thinking the same thing. It looks pretty cool but I don't know what it does.

not to be a dick but...watch the video...its pretty simple

Wheres the beef?
06-08-2009, 11:45 PM

http://mashable.com/2009/05/28/google-wave-guide/

http://mashable.com/2009/05/31/google-wave-features/

BROKENDOLL
06-09-2009, 12:08 AM
well they do own it.

I R not retarted,and i hazn't watched the vid, but I R thinkin' I will haz big clusterfuk soon. (Is that idiot enough for you, Rage?) LOL

vogina
06-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Whatever...End war you fuck holes.

wmgaretjax
06-09-2009, 06:30 AM
these guys know what's up. i signed up for the beta when it was first announced, I can't wait for things to come to fruition, it's way too cool.

JClemy
06-09-2009, 06:37 AM
not to be a dick but...watch the video...its pretty simple

It's also a real long freaking video to watch if it's something that isn't going to be all that cool for the average user. I don't have a problem with reading something that's a long description, I don't mind looking at pictures but I also don't work an office job because I don't want to go to most conferences. I just didn't want to sit and watch an hour of video hoping for something cool. I watched Waterworld.

Thank you Kingsblend. After reading that I should have just watched the movie. You were right supre.

coldstart
06-09-2009, 06:42 AM
I think it's way over hyped. Current apps work just fine the way they are for email/web/IM and no one has had any desire to replace them. That sentiment seems to be shared by a lot of folks. I for one won't use it, that's for sure. I don't use gmail, gtalk or Chrome. I may use Chrome when they have it for linux (which was promised within 6 months of the initial Chrome release but still hasn't happened yet!), but google doesn't need to record all my IM conversations and have access to all my email. They have enough information about me as it is, just from logging all my search results.

marooko
06-09-2009, 06:59 AM
no.

shakermaker113
06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
the video is quite long and full of jargon that is only useful to developers. if you can't sit through it, look at some of the descriptions I posted or the links kingsblend posted and see if that helps.

I think it's way over hyped. Current apps work just fine the way they are for email/web/IM and no one has had any desire to replace them. That sentiment seems to be shared by a lot of folks. I for one won't use it, that's for sure. I don't use gmail, gtalk or Chrome. I may use Chrome when they have it for linux (which was promised within 6 months of the initial Chrome release but still hasn't happened yet!), but google doesn't need to record all my IM conversations and have access to all my email. They have enough information about me as it is, just from logging all my search results.

lots of people have desires to replace them with something better. it's such a fucking pain to manage email threads at the moment. especially once you get split threads. their new method is a much more sensible way of organizing conversations and preventing multiple people responding simultaneously. and sharing information between apps is a real fucking pain. when I upload my photos to flickr I would like my facebook friends to be able to comment on them. right now it requires me to either upload the photos to two places, or have people sign up for accounts at both places, both of which are a pain.

also, this is a technology not a service. the word is that google won't be hosting all of the wave servers. and they can't stop other people hosting wave servers because it's open source. a company could have their own private wave server for corporate use. the wave servers on the internet could be hosted by google or anybody else.

there is some validity to the concern about them having access to all that information. but ultimately hosted conversations are much more powerful and flexible.

Young blood
06-09-2009, 07:32 AM
As long as I never have to use backpackit again.

wmgaretjax
06-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Current apps work just fine the way they are for email/web/IM and no one has had any desire to replace them.

You are so incredibly wrong. They may work fine for you, but many people I know and interact with on a daily basis aren't having their needs met by the current information/communication management infrastructures. Out of these people, every single one has expressed excitement at the implementation that google has proposed.

marooko
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Big Google.

Alchemy
06-09-2009, 08:39 AM

Incorrect!

PotVsKtl
06-09-2009, 09:05 AM
It's also a real long freaking video to watch if it's something that isn't going to be all that cool for the average user. I don't have a problem with reading something that's a long description, I don't mind looking at pictures but I also don't work an office job because I don't want to go to most conferences. I just didn't want to sit and watch an hour of video hoping for something cool. I watched Waterworld.

Thank you Kingsblend. After reading that I should have just watched the movie. You were right supre.

Here's the thing about life. Get ready, this is a life lesson. Most of the time, it's easier to just try something yourself once rather than give up immediately and flop around in public telling everyone you need help.

marooko
06-09-2009, 09:11 AM
like work.

SFChrissy
06-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I'd be more inclined to use google chrome if I could actually scroll thru a page...if anyone knows if its a settings adjustment please share it so I can proceed with google chrome...

Hannahrain
06-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't know if the ability to see a comment as it's being typed is something I want. Nonetheless, I eagerly await not communicating with most of you through this exciting new tool.

marooko
06-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for communicating that to us. Wish I would have been able to see you typing that in real time. That would have been beyond cool.

BROKENDOLL
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't know if the ability to see a comment as it's being typed is something I want. Nonetheless, I eagerly await not communicating with most of you through this exciting new tool.
I don't know. Watching some of your comments unfold would be like witnessing a comedy version of Fantasia...

PlayaDelWes
06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Can someone please summarize this thread for me. Thx.

Alchemy
06-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Can someone please summarize this thread for me. Thx.

Google has added a thing that squirts water out of computer keyboards in case you get thirsty while you e-mail people.

PlayaDelWes
06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Google has added a thing that squirts water out of computer keyboards in case you get thirsty while you e-mail people.

That's good. I have a couple unused buttons on my mouse. I'm sure I can use one of them for water and have they announced coffee yet?

coldstart
06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't know if the ability to see a comment as it's being typed is something I want.

Indeed. As it's been pointed out on numerous blogs, when typing an IM, a lot of times I will erase what I've typed or rethink it and rewrite it a different way. I do not want someone to see what I've typed until I've had a moment to complete a coherent thought. It's like blurting out the first thing on your mind without thinking about it at all.

PotVsKtl
06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
That's why they explicitly called out the option to not send live updates.

gaypalmsprings
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.mysticnightshade.com/images/groupwave.gif

wmgaretjax
06-09-2009, 05:24 PM
That's why they explicitly called out the option to not send live updates.

some people have difficulty understanding simple concepts.

whynotsmile99
06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
here comes this guy to simplify it all for us

3ykZYKCK7AM

Hannahrain
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
some people have difficulty understanding simple concepts.

I didn't mean me, necessarily. I don't know if I want to watch other people decide what they're saying before they say it. I'm worried about what this means for comedic timing.

Edit: mea culpa if the video stated the option to block visibility of other users' live updates. I didn't watch it, only read some articles.

shakermaker113
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
can you imagine what it would do to the message board? dear lord it would be chaos in here.

Hannahrain
06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
It's already chaos in here.

gaypalmsprings
06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
http://www.malaadministracion.com/x/smiley-thewave.gif

real talk
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
You already said that, Gay.

whynotsmile99
06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
You already said that, Gay.

yea, but it's a rainbow this time

Wheres the beef?
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM

You really should check out gmail. I think its the best web based email out there today.

And who cares if Google has your im conversations or email? So they know you went to dinner Friday night, Mittens has to go to the vet, and you're planning a trip to New York. Why does that matter and what are you so concerned about?

real talk
06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah if you're not doing anything wrong than why be concerned right?

shakermaker113
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
people are paranoid about being watched. they don't seem too concerned about getting lost in the sheer volume of data, however.

Hannahrain
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
If they wanted to compile a dossier on you, they'd probably have it completed already. The internet isn't where you put things that you don't want anyone to find.

MissingPerson
06-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Because as several cuddly internet companies have proven in China, they're not as hesitant as I'd like them to be when it comes to handing over our information.

I prize my online anonymity because I frequently like talking about shit that is a) illegal and b) taboo out in the real world. More than that, I'm looking at a career in tech related fields, with companies who love a'googling and a'facebooking their employees as it is. I don't want my employers and prospective employers browsing my dubious internet history. So yes. I'll be watching this and future developments in this mould with interest.

It was Google that rumbled The Hipster Grifter, after all...

Wheres the beef?
06-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah if you're not doing anything wrong than why be concerned right?

Privacy isn't just for criminals. But according to coldstart, he or she shouldn't have a cellphone "because they know where you are" or have any utility bills because "they have your address" or talk on the phone "because they can hear you" or have a bank account, etc.

I have privacy concerns too. But there isn't anything new on wave that isnt already on facebook, twitter, flikr, hotmail, whatever.

And if one is going to worry about privacy over the internet, Google shouldn't get hardly the attention that the likes of AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, et al. should be getting. They are the real gatekeepers.

Alchemy
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
You really should check out gmail. I think its the best web based email out there today.

And who cares if Google has your im conversations or email? So they know you went to dinner Friday night, Mittens has to go to the vet, and you're planning a trip to New York. Why does that matter and what are you so concerned about?

You mean Google doesn't call you? That's the only thing I hate about gmail. The Google Team are always calling me saying, "So Tim, what ever happened to that one girl you were talking to? You know, the one you were e-mailing David about. Did you two ever get together? By the way, how was Coachella? Did you see Paul McCartney? Was he cool?... Oh, hold on... I just saw your e-mail to Franky. What's that attachment? Is it music? You know, you're not supposed to be breaking the copyright rules. Well I got to go, man. Keep me updated."

MissingPerson
06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I keep my online uses separate and distinct for a reason...

Wheres the beef?
06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
You mean Google doesn't call you? That's the only thing I hate about gmail. The Google Team are always calling me saying, "So Tim, what ever happened to that one girl you were talking to? You know, the one you were e-mailing David about. Did you two ever get together? By the way, how was Coachella? Did you see Paul McCartney? Was he cool?... Oh, hold on... I just saw your e-mail to Franky. What's that attachment? Is it music? You know, you're not supposed to be breaking the copyright rules. Well I got to go, man. Keep me updated."

This made me :lool

menikmati
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I remember the days having to go on some strange web 1.0 forum to beg and barter for a gmail invitation.

greghead
06-09-2009, 06:16 PM
This wave business is pretty amazing, but I do not foresee myself actually using it too much. My internet existence was fine before google offered their help and I'm fairly confident that trend will continue without it.

Alchemy
06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I remember the days having to go on some strange web 1.0 forum to beg and barter for a gmail invitation.

I had got a gmail invitation really early in its life from somebody I didn't know. I remember when I'd get invitation privileges, and I'd send them to my friends, but we were too young to appreciate gmail back then.

menikmati
06-09-2009, 06:44 PM
I had got a gmail invitation really early in its life from somebody I didn't know. I remember when I'd get invitation privileges, and I'd send them to my friends, but we were too young to appreciate gmail back then.

I got mine in May of 2004 I think, and that was my first "real" email address I started using. I remember that I offered to draw some guy a cartoon picture in exchange for a gmail invitation, so that's how I got it. Pretty much the site was you posted how bad you wanted a gmail invite and what you would do for one, and others (who had invites to give) would look them over and either accept your offer or not. It was sorta weird.

PlayaDelWes
06-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Ah, you beat me. My "Gmail is different. Here's what you need to know" note is dated 6/12/04.

PotVsKtl
06-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Anybody who doesn't foresee themselves using this has a dearth of foresight. That's assuming they can implement it on a large scale. You're not going to have a choice of whether you use it or not.

Young blood
06-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Www.blowjobs4gmail.com

PotVsKtl
06-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I've grown pretty attached to the term "blowies."

menikmati
06-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Google should just release their OS and get it over with. A whole computer ran by nothing but Google.

PotVsKtl
06-09-2009, 07:06 PM
They already did.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/googleOS.jpg

Hannahrain
06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
When is Google going to come fix my water heater? I called this morning and still nothing.

menikmati
06-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Google fixes me breakfast.

gaypalmsprings
06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.islandcrisis.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/google-girls.gif

PlayaDelWes
06-09-2009, 07:31 PM
xQmH9HQ21cI

Young blood
06-09-2009, 08:06 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=blowies&l=1

Alchemy
06-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I got mine in May of 2004 I think, and that was my first "real" email address I started using. I remember that I offered to draw some guy a cartoon picture in exchange for a gmail invitation, so that's how I got it. Pretty much the site was you posted how bad you wanted a gmail invite and what you would do for one, and others (who had invites to give) would look them over and either accept your offer or not. It was sorta weird.

I didn't save my earliest e-mails on gmail for some reason (you'd think I would have since the whole thing about gmail was not having to delete your e-mails), but the earliest e-mail I have was from October 4th, 2004, and it was a confirmation on my applying to UTAustin (I didn't get accepted).

PotVsKtl
06-09-2009, 08:52 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=blowies&l=1

My wound is just like a dung.

coldstart
06-10-2009, 01:48 AM

I've was a beta tester for gmail, I've seen it. :P But I host my own email server and have for many years before gmail ever existed in the minds of the google engineers. And that's the way I intend to keep it.

Privacy isn't about whether you have "important" information or not. Everyone has a right to privacy. But, my concerns are more business based. I transmit sensitive information via IM all the time with clients and folks I am working with. That's also why I host my own XMPP (aka Jabber) IM server, which has end-to-end encryption built right in (and, GTalk is just the XMPP protocol, so I can still talk to people using that just fine). In these cases where business is involved, if I get compromised or information about my clients gets compromised, I not only get a bad reputation, but I can get sued off the face of the planet.

You don't seem to recognize the vast amount of data mining that's going on right now. It's fairly trivial for someone to know pretty much where you are, what you are doing, etc. at any given time or what sites you are visiting, what's going on in your life, all about your family members, etc. This is scary as more and more things go "online" since, if I know everything about you, I can, for instance, go to your online banking site, use the "Forgot my password" option, enter your pet's name (since I know that from you twittering or IMing about it) and then, boom, I have access to your money. That's just one of many examples.

Specific to the Google problem, they use any information that they glean from your search habits, purchasing habits, sites you visit, keywords in your email, etc. to better place relevant advertising in your face. At least, that's what they do at the moment. They are capable of much more evil but thankfully, up to this point, they have seemingly held true to their "do no evil" motto. But why should I trust a giant money-grubbing corporation?

wmgaretjax
09-29-2009, 03:41 PM
i'll scratch your back if you scratch mine. if anyone gets an invite tomorrow i'd love one (assuming I don't get one)... let's spread the love.

shakermaker113
09-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I didn't know they were sending out invites. I just signed up. probably too late, but it's worth a shot.

Young blood
09-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Only 100,000. Pretty sure I wont get it but yalls will be first if I do.

shakermaker113
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
how cool would it be if we could start a coachella community in google wave?

Young blood
09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Im down. Its basically a message board in real time.

shakermaker113
09-29-2009, 06:02 PM
I hope they have good emoticons.

Young blood
09-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Its going to be so awesome to watch people type out what they really feel. Then erase it and give a milquetoast answer because they dont understand the technology.

Young blood
09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
wavepauxisms.

Alchemy
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
I hope I get an invite.

RotationSlimWang
09-29-2009, 07:33 PM
This is Google going after Microsoft's Sharepoint, primarily. Has plenty of usefulness and application and potential beyond that, but that's really what their target was here. Pretty much any time Google unveils something, it's to fuck over Microsoft. Love 'em.

RotationSlimWang
09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
They already did.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/googleOS.jpg

This real? I didn't hear about this.

Frankly, Google might be wasting their time going after the OS market a little bit. By staying focused on cloud development they're going to end up owning the part of computing that's really gonna matter more than software, hardware, and everything else combined, especially ten years from now--internet communication. Operating systems will become something you install once and barely ever touch again.

To wit, I suppose maybe Google's doing the right thing if they're developing an OS specifically for that purpose.

rage patton
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
I am an idiot when it comes to computers. I have read basically what this does... but I still don't get it. Something like I can upload my pictures to facebook and they are also uploaded to my photobucket? I can get peoples twitter through facebook... stuff like that. Am I on the right track or did I completely misread everything. If someone could dumb it down to lowest possible level, I would appreciate it.

wmgaretjax
09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
This real? I didn't hear about this.

Frankly, Google might be wasting their time going after the OS market a little bit. By staying focused on cloud development they're going to end up owning the part of computing that's really gonna matter more than software, hardware, and everything else combined, especially ten years from now--internet communication. Operating systems will become something you install once and barely ever touch again.

To wit, I suppose maybe Google's doing the right thing if they're developing an OS specifically for that purpose.

Potentially. But they are opening themselves up to some nightmare anti-trust issues in the short term.

shakermaker113
09-29-2009, 08:00 PM

I think the chrome OS is designed to be a dedicated internet browser, with the intention to use it for web applications, nothing more.

I am an idiot when it comes to computers. I have read basically what this does... but I still don't get it. Something like I can upload my pictures to facebook and they are also uploaded to my photobucket? I can get peoples twitter through facebook... stuff like that. Am I on the right track or did I completely misread everything. If someone could dumb it down to lowest possible level, I would appreciate it.

part of it is that a picture/video/whatever can be shared in any app -- so when I upload a pic I could publish it on facebook for people there to see and comment on, and here for people on the board to comment on, and it would be a single copy with a single set of comments. and other people can include it in their photo album without having to duplicate the photo.

it also changes the way you hold conversations. in a thread here we always post to the end. if you're posting in response to one particular comment you can insert your comment as a response to that part of the post. if you want to reply to a comment that was made way at the beginning you can do that at the beginning where it was relevant. etc. people can see you typing live, if you want them to. so no more split email threads or replies to posts without seeing the latest information.

I'm sure there's more I am forgetting.

Young blood
09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/wp-content/assets/6/1438/article_photo1.jpg?rand=705702729

shakermaker113
09-30-2009, 08:47 AM
that's retarded.

wmgaretjax
09-30-2009, 09:57 AM
the bulk of the invites haven't gone out yet and won't until late in the day today according to the google team.

Alchemy
09-30-2009, 11:16 AM
I hope Google Wave takes the world by storm, because everybody needs to be connected to it for it to be truly awesome.

shakermaker113
09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
the day the coachella board is made up of waves none of us will get any work done for about a week.

RotationSlimWang
10-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Potentially. But they are opening themselves up to some nightmare anti-trust issues in the short term.

It's an interesting question. Although in theory if they didn't bundle chrome with the OS then I guess they could get away with it. That Microsoft anti-trust suit was such stupid bullshit. For all the hundreds of ways MS really DID try to hinder competition, that was a really pathetic grounds on which to file an anti-trust suit. And nothing fucking changed.

Really what they'd be doing is just putting out an OS that's ideal for running strictly cloud-based systems, an arena that it seems pretty clear they're going to dominate. As long as they avoid doing shit that would be perceived as inhibiting the ability of others to compete with their cloud apps on their OS and vice versa, they ought to weasel out of it. Although they did a pretty shitty job with their last anti-trust suit. That shit was hilarious. "Please explain to me how you are not going to be a monopoly if we let this deal go through, and don't tell us it's because you're not evil, thanks."

I think the chrome OS is designed to be a dedicated internet browser, with the intention to use it for web applications, nothing more.

What Google has been building up to over the past several years though is trying precisely to wrench control of Microsoft's dominance in the software and OS field by shifting the fight to a completely new venue--entirely web-based computing. They might be absolutely onto something. It doesn't seem unfathomable that within 5 or 10 years free wireless internet might exist pretty much everywhere and no one will really need locally stored data or locally run applications at all. Google's trying to kill Microsoft by making everything just go through the internet, which might very well resolve a fuckload of drawbacks to the current computing model.

How awesome would it be to never have to update any of the applications you use or worry about bizarre errors because the application is perfectly configured on a web server somewhere for you to use as simply as this message board?

justinaqui
10-01-2009, 04:58 AM
I was invited.

Young blood
10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
I was invited.

LIAR!

Invite me, pleeeeeaaaaaaaseeee.

shakermaker113
10-01-2009, 08:24 AM
How awesome would it be to never have to update any of the applications you use or worry about bizarre errors because the application is perfectly configured on a web server somewhere for you to use as simply as this message board?

it will be fucking great. also having my data accessible regardless of where I access it from.

I was invited.

invite us!

wmgaretjax
10-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I was invited.

i sent you a PM. if you could invite even one of us, we could spread the love around here.

Hannahrain
10-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Putting myself into the pool of needy eyelash-batters, even though eyelash-batting repulses me. Personal sacrifices over here.

justinaqui
10-01-2009, 09:42 AM
I only got 8 invites, and they went to local people who I actually plan stuff out with :)
If I get any more before you guys, I'll send them around. The invite process is taking forever. None of mine have been received yet.

Invite others to Google Wave

Google Wave is more fun when you have others to wave with, so please nominate people you would like to add. Keep in mind that this is a preview so it could be a bit rocky at times.

Invitations will not be sent immediately. We have a lot of stamps to lick.

Happy waving!

0 Invitations left

wmgaretjax
10-01-2009, 09:47 AM
yeah. it sounds like there is gonna be serious lag in rolling things out. thanks anyways.

Alchemy
10-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Add me to the list of people wanting invites.

justinaqui
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM
yeah. it sounds like there is gonna be serious lag in rolling things out. thanks anyways.

Definitely useless to me at the moment.

wmgaretjax
10-01-2009, 12:03 PM
so a friend hooked me up. playing the waiting game. from other reports it may be as soon as a few hours... depending on my invites i'll try and invite a couple of y'all.

Young blood
10-01-2009, 12:06 PM
YES! AND PLEASE!

dorkfish
10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
so a friend hooked me up. playing the waiting game. from other reports it may be as soon as a few hours... depending on my invites i'll try and invite a couple of y'all.
one hand washes the other Jared.

kreutz2112
10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I will take an invite if anyone can spare one.

justinaqui
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM

I sent mine at 9, and they still haven't gotten anywhere. :\

hawkingvsreeve
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I would also like to give this a whirl if anyone here is with extras.

wmgaretjax
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I sent mine at 9, and they still haven't gotten anywhere. :\

my friend got his an hour ago and his friend sent it at 11PM last night... so there is definitely some lag.

bleep
10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
here's my post begging for a spare invite.
if i get any invites, i'll distribute 'em to the Coachella peeps; screw my family and friends, they're technologically incompetent anyways.

superfiction
10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
invite meeeeee plzzzzzz

TickleMeElmo
10-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm with bleep, I'll invite people from the board if I can get an invite. My friend's aren't techonologically savvy.

RotationSlimWang
10-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Technological professionals should have top priority, Jared.

gaypalmsprings
10-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Google Wave Invites for Sale on eBay

By Marisa Taylor

With Google releasing 100,000 invites to test the beta version of the much-hyped Wave, one enterprising blogger decided to capitalize on all the buzz surrounding the new messaging and collaboration tool by selling his invite on eBay.

Hagan Blount, a 30-year-old food blogger based in Baltimore, had been listening to the chatter about Wave and hatched the idea to auction his invite on eBay. “I figured there’s a whole lot of buzz. I wonder how many hits this would get?” he said.

Of course, Mr. Blount hadn’t yet received his invite, but he said that a software developer friend of his who did not wish to be identified had promised to procure one for him. Mr. Blount commenced the auction on Tuesday night, and by the time he had woken up at 6 a.m. Wednesday, the day that Google would be releasing Wave invites, his auction had already received 12,000 hits.

As the day wore on, he received about 33 bids for the Google Wave invite, with the winning bid reaching $157. One eBay user tried to set up two accounts and entered a bid for $5,000, which Mr. Blount quickly deleted. Dozens of questions piled up in his eBay account inbox, asking him if the Wave invite was real, and if so, whether it could be purchased on the spot. One man from Sweden offered $700 to buy it outright, and another who identified himself as “a businessman” said he would pony up $27,000 if the invite was authentic.

However, Mr. Blount said he received an automated message from eBay, saying that he was violating the site’s terms of service by trying to sell an item without owning the copyright. “I’m sure somebody flagged it for a terms-of-use violation because they didn’t think of the idea,” he said. “This was more of an experiment, to see what it was going to become, rather than trying to sell the thing.”

Mr. Blount removed his auction from eBay, but since then, a few more invites from other users have popped up.

Google declined to comment. EBay did not immediately responded for requests for comment.

Mr. Blount isn’t the first to take advantage of the public’s affinity for new Google services–tech enthusiasts turned to eBay in order to buy and sell invites to Gmail when it was first introduced, and they did the same for Google Voice. This time around, Google Wave was trending as a topic on Twitter and was filled with tweets in which users asked their friends whether anyone had an extra invite.

shakermaker113
10-01-2009, 05:52 PM
paying for that shit is absurd.

shakermaker113
10-01-2009, 06:01 PM
also as creator of the thread I feel I deserve an invite.

sbessiso
10-01-2009, 09:01 PM
My friend got an invite and he was showing/explaining it to me. I think I kind of understand it!

psychic friend
10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
this posted already? quick short video explaining google wave

http://www.stagecoachdesigns.com/quick-2-minute-video-explaining-google-wave/

faxman75
10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
MS9AbePnE08

kitt kat
10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
I tried reading up on this and I really don't understand what it is.

I don't need another tech app clogging up my list of things to check.

faxman75
10-02-2009, 05:17 PM
The 8 year old kid didn't even make it easy enough to understand? The video is about 90 seconds. PF's video was also simple to follow.

theburiedlife
10-02-2009, 05:40 PM
This is my shameless plug for a spot in the invite queue. I am very intrigued by this program.

moomoo
10-02-2009, 05:47 PM

kind of does the opposite of that..

miscorrections
10-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I would very much like an invite if anyone's got any floating around.

wmgaretjax
10-02-2009, 05:55 PM

a little effort goes a long way.

shakermaker113
10-02-2009, 06:07 PM

in the long run it should reduce your list of things to check.

emtgreg
10-02-2009, 06:10 PM
i sent this email today:

Hello!

I am an active member of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival Message Board! We have been talking about using Google Wave as a great tool to supplement, and or possibly replace the tools we have been using to stay in touch regarding the annual festival! We use the forum to coordinate shows that we are going to, meetups, talk about past Coachella's, waste our time talking about Rumors, and many other amazing topics! We are in a great position to be able to not only test Google Wave, but to be able to provide useful feedback in a timely manner!

Thanks for your consideration!!

*Waves*

Request an invitation to Google Wave

Thanks for signing up for Google Wave!

justinaqui
10-07-2009, 06:08 AM
The people that I invited finally got them today. We started using it to plan our usual Thursday night drinking fest, but the software is buggy as hell. I can't edit or reply to anything on the current wave before getting a message that "This wave is experiencing turbulence and might explode".

bug on your lip
10-07-2009, 06:15 AM
send me an invite pleez

hugs

shakermaker113
10-07-2009, 06:21 AM
I can't edit or reply to anything on the current wave before getting a message that "This wave is experiencing turbulence and might explode".

ROFL

justinaqui
10-07-2009, 06:48 AM
"If you don't want to explode, click 'Reload Wave'."

seriously.

shakermaker113
10-07-2009, 06:51 AM
oh I get it. they make it all exclusive and call it "invites" and suddenly they have people queuing at the door waiting to be beta testers for free.

wmgaretjax
10-07-2009, 07:07 AM
i'm still waiting.

wmgaretjax
10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
my new account didn't come with invites... hopefully I will get some in the near future.

whynotsmile99
10-17-2009, 03:26 PM
finally got an invite the other day.

it's a rather ugly convoluted system. I honestly have no idea what the fuck im doing. I managed to send some texts to a friend of mine that send me the invite, pretty cool how can you add video and pictures with ease but i've yet to be that impressed.
one stupid, stupid tool is "live typing" so the person you are chatting with can see how bad a speller you are..
i need more contacts to try stuff out

shakermaker113
10-17-2009, 04:10 PM
you can turn live spelling off. supposedly.

wmgaretjax
10-17-2009, 04:17 PM
it is very beta

sbessiso
10-20-2009, 07:52 PM
My friend sent me an invite! Should be getting it in like 72 hours then I can finally TRULY figure this shit out

shakermaker113
10-20-2009, 08:02 PM
My friend sent me an invite! Should be getting it in like 72 hours then I can finally TRULY figure this shit out

and then you can send out invites too right? (cough cough)

emtgreg
10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
:cat

shakermaker113
10-20-2009, 08:08 PM
the coachella message board invasion of google wave is imminent.

clumsy342
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
the coachella message board invasion of google wave is imminent.

I wonder if google wave can support that many lolcatz and rape jokes.

shakermaker113
10-20-2009, 09:29 PM
oh they better. we will make sure they do.

emtgreg
10-20-2009, 09:38 PM
If we are doing it right, we will report the bug everytime we break it with a lolcat or a chickenstrip thread!!

Google will appreciate our insights!!

wmgaretjax
10-20-2009, 10:08 PM
and then you can send out invites too right? (cough cough)

nope. unfortunately. i never got invites.

chiapet
10-20-2009, 10:40 PM
one stupid, stupid tool is "live typing" so the person you are chatting with can see how bad a speller you are..
i need more contacts to try stuff out

Unix 'talk' is how I learned to type 100+ wpm with minimal typos :)

TickleMeElmo
10-21-2009, 12:30 AM
xcxF9oz9Cu0

shakermaker113
10-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Unix 'talk' is how I learned to type 100+ wpm with minimal typos :)

I found Typing of the Dead quite useful in that respect.

sbessiso
10-21-2009, 08:12 AM
nope. unfortunately. i never got invites.

So its just totally random? How did you guys get the first initial invites? Sign up somewhere?

justinaqui
10-21-2009, 08:15 AM
So its just totally random? How did you guys get the first initial invites? Sign up somewhere?

Yeah, I signed up long ago. From what I can tell, they gave an invite to 100,000 people, and gave each of us 8 more to hand out. I haven't heard of anyone with a second-hand invite receiving any to share.

sbessiso
10-21-2009, 08:17 AM
my friend that sent me the invite wasnt part of the initial send out

Young blood
10-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Google wave invites = racism.

justinaqui
10-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Cool. I have definitely noticed more things being added. The contacts system seems to work a lot better now. It's automatically adding people from my address book that get accounts.
The coolest thing I've seen with it was yesterday when I was reading a blog post. They added a wave to the comments section of the blog, so the whole comment discussion was taking place in a wave. It worked really well until the post got popular and it was a wave with >400 users.

heyeric
10-21-2009, 08:25 AM
i need an invite! heyeric87@gmail.com

DAMN!

wmgaretjax
10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
my friend that sent me the invite wasnt part of the initial send out

interesting. wonder when I'll get mine.

Stefinitely Maybe
10-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I got an invite but I really haven't used it yet except to have a quick look around. I feel like it'll only really become cool once everyone is connected.

shakermaker113
10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
so connect us!

if you can.

I'm not sure if/how/when they give people invites to pass out.

Stefinitely Maybe
10-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I haven't been given any invites yet, sorry!

sbessiso
10-22-2009, 04:16 AM
One of my friends got her invite like immediately, another friend told me his took 2 weeks! WTF

Im still waiting on mine

sbessiso
10-23-2009, 12:39 PM
OK so i'm officially on

aaaaaaaaaaaaand I do not understand it. What am I supposed to be doing right now?

hawkingvsreeve
10-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Waving.

Alchemy
10-23-2009, 12:45 PM
You're suppose to translate things, play chess, and do some LIVE misspeliing.

menikmati
10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I want to play...

sbessiso
10-23-2009, 12:48 PM
i already did the last one majorly.

sonofhal
10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Some bastard invite me already!

Alchemy
10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
i already did the last one majorly.

The next thing on the list to invite me. ;)

sbessiso
10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
if I ever get any invites!

dorkfish
10-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Some bastard invite me already!
I will once they release that function to my account.

justinaqui
10-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Invite sent to wmgaretjax.

I have a couple more, PM me your email.

wmgaretjax
10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Invite sent to wmgaretjax.

I have a couple more, PM me your email.

I already had one. But when I get the link I'll pass it on to someone else.

justinaqui
and bleep!

one more!

justinaqui
whoops

justinaqui
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
gone now.

Young blood
10-29-2009, 01:35 PM
SONOFABITCH!

Im busy here! invite please.

miscorrections
10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
I want one if anyone gets some.

chiapet
10-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I want one too. Still. People keep handing them out while I'm not around lately.

shakermaker113
10-29-2009, 06:08 PM
damn I missed it.

chiapet
10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I got desperate last week and started asking people I've dated and ex-coworkers from google for invites, and no one gave me one. I'm not sure what to make of that. :P

JClemy
10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't get it. I think it will be much better when everyone is on. If or when I get invites I'll send some out.

gaypalmsprings
11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
OK, so now I have google wave. WTF do I do with it?

shakermaker113
11-02-2009, 05:00 PM
do what you do best. post pictures all over the place.

gaypalmsprings
11-02-2009, 05:02 PM
do what you do best. post pictures all over the place.

I already do that. Ha.

shakermaker113
11-02-2009, 05:18 PM
but now you can do it in wave and see if there is anything better about it.

Young blood
11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Gay chat.

sk8r408
11-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Google Wave seems interesting. It seems like it would be a very helpful tool for my profession (Graphics Design). If anyone has an invite, I would love to try it out!

RageAgainstTheAoki
11-06-2009, 06:05 PM
If anyone has an invite, please PM me. Thanks.

heyeric
11-07-2009, 02:34 PM
ditttooo. i want one! please :)

wmgaretjax
11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
who wants one? i have a direct link someone can use now.

actually... i have two.

menikmati
11-12-2009, 02:52 PM
me me me please?

wmgaretjax
11-12-2009, 02:53 PM
check yr PMs.

Son of MJK
11-12-2009, 03:05 PM
i would love one if still avail, thx.

menikmati
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Thank you!

wmgaretjax
11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
i would love one if still avail, thx.

sent. enjoy.

all gone.

miscorrections
11-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Nooo. Damnit, I keep missing these. I really want one next time someone has them available.

wmgaretjax
11-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Nooo. Damnit, I keep missing these. I really want one next time someone has them available.

sorry. next one I get is yours.

mountmccabe
11-12-2009, 03:14 PM
This is a thing in which I am interested, for people that are thinking about the future times of giving.

EDIT: Done and done.

Young blood
11-12-2009, 04:01 PM
SON. OF. A. BITCH.

Feel free to pm me one anytime. I love you all.

TickleMeElmo
11-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Ditto

I desperately wanna try this thing out.

Young blood
11-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Hell YES! Gots mine.

Sexecutioner
11-13-2009, 10:15 AM
wow, didnt know invites were in such high demand. my buddy sent one to me the other day and i havent checked it out yet...

miscorrections
11-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Awesomes. Have it.

weeklymix
11-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Would love an invite to this if anyone has one.

shakermaker113
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
someone invite me dammit! else I will have to pretend to stop caring.

sk8r408
11-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I setup my account last week. I've barely used it. I think, once more people I know and work with have accounts, it will be very useful. Until then, it just seems like having an email account before anyone else even knows what email is.

PS I have not been given any invites yet.

menikmati
11-13-2009, 08:40 PM
The more I play with it and add gadgets, the more I understand what it's meant for (and how to use it effectively). This thing is really cool. They really need to release a settings option though, and allow live typing to be turned off. It's cool setting up games of chess, sudoku, and connect 4 between other users.

sk8r408
11-13-2009, 10:28 PM
It's cool setting up games of chess, sudoku, and connect 4 between other users.

Online chess isn't really cutting edge technology.

emtgreg
11-13-2009, 10:40 PM
It will be awesome once we all get invites...

/me waits :)

RageAgainstTheAoki
11-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Would love an invite, pretty please with a cherry on top.

gaypalmsprings
11-14-2009, 01:38 AM
My Google Wave - which I don't know what to do with - says I have 20 invites. PM me if you want an invite - let me know the email addy that you want the invite sent to.

5 down, 15 to go.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/wave.jpg

vogina
11-14-2009, 02:56 AM
An one of you send this old vogina an invite?

menikmati
11-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Online chess isn't really cutting edge technology.

Yes I realize that...but in the context of playing it in a "wave" with several other contacts, where you can plan moves etc...it's pretty cool.

leo01g
11-14-2009, 08:17 AM
GPS I want one!

shakermaker113
11-14-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm in! thanks GPS!

Gribbz
11-14-2009, 08:48 AM
I haven't sent out any invites yet. Anybody interested?

mountmccabe
11-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I was looking around at this yesterday and came the conclusion that most anything you do here, you can do elsewhere. I just watched one of the YouTubes they made to explain it and that's really what they're getting at too.

That, you know, you can go to Google Maps, and Google Documents and various email and chatting clients and YouTube and Babelfish and, well, a lot of other places. But, ya see, that's exactly the point. I don't know that Wave is, so much, doing anything new but it's doing everything in one place. With traceable collaboration and clarifying unity. Plus, apparently, you can do everything here and have it propagate out to everything else as desired.

Alchemy
11-14-2009, 10:26 AM
I would like an invite.

menikmati
11-14-2009, 10:28 AM
I would like an invite.

PM me your email, I got one left.

gaypalmsprings
11-14-2009, 10:29 AM
caturday wave

http://www.petsitting4u.com/catwave.gif

gaypalmsprings
11-14-2009, 12:33 PM
4 of the 5 requests have already been processed. The only one that hasn't gave me a yahoo.com address rather than a gmail.com address. I guess you need a gmail.com address.

invisiblerobots
11-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks GPS!
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/3/6s9gtd.jpg.gif

vogina
11-14-2009, 12:49 PM

I am

gaypalmsprings
11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
I am

PM me your gmail address

Still-ill
11-14-2009, 01:11 PM
As am I. Check your pmz.

iv3rdawG
11-14-2009, 01:12 PM
If anyone has an invite let me know please.

gaypalmsprings
11-14-2009, 01:23 PM
If anyone has an invite let me know please.

I have 15. PM your gmail address already!

sk8r408
11-14-2009, 02:11 PM
4 of the 5 requests have already been processed. The only one that hasn't gave me a yahoo.com address rather than a gmail.com address. I guess you need a gmail.com address.

My invite was sent to my yahoo.com email address. It worked fine. Took 2 days to get the signup link after the invite was sent.

shakermaker113
11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
hm I got two invites this morning. weird. one explicitly says it was from GPS. the other doesn't say it was from anyone.

shakermaker113
11-14-2009, 02:47 PM
also, with the numbers growing, is there a coachella message board wave yet? shall I create one?

frozen pilgrim
11-14-2009, 02:50 PM
just got my wave account

gaypalmsprings
11-14-2009, 02:55 PM
also, with the numbers growing, is there a coachella message board wave yet? shall I create one?

do it!

shakermaker113
11-14-2009, 04:26 PM
ok created. so far it includes me salah and GPS. everyone pm me your wave address so I can invite you to this wave.

gaypalmsprings
11-15-2009, 03:27 AM
9 invites left - come & get them - oh, I'll be at NASCAR in Phoenix, baby, so you'll have to wait for a response later tonight.

BTW, this is a NASCAR baby...

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/n/nascar_baby-2312.jpg

justinaqui
11-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I made a public Coachella Wave.

in the wave searchbox, look for "with:public coachella message board" but don't type the quotes.

edit to disable smilies

Still-ill
11-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but there already is one. Unless that is the one you made?

weeklymix
11-15-2009, 10:35 AM
9 invites left - come & get them - oh, I'll be at NASCAR in Phoenix, baby, so you'll have to wait for a response later tonight.

BTW, this is a NASCAR baby...

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/n/nascar_baby-2312.jpg

i would love an invite, please.

shakermaker113
11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I didn't know you could make public waves. interesting.

bleep
11-15-2009, 04:59 PM
my life became complete when i found true blood-related waves.

Monklish
11-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey GPS, throw me an invite and I'll cease all anti-homosexual slurs on the board. I swear.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-15-2009, 05:11 PM
I want an invite. Also, it's my birthday.

gaypalmsprings
11-15-2009, 08:29 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/chill.jpg

PlayaDelWes
11-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks Man!

PlayaDelWes
11-15-2009, 09:27 PM
So has anyone done anything cool with wave yet?

emtgreg
11-15-2009, 10:06 PM
find me

emtgreg@gmail.com

:)

sk8r408
11-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I made a public Coachella Wave.

in the wave searchbox, look for "with:public coachella message board" but don't type the quotes.

edit to disable smilies

I'm there!

sonofhal
11-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Finally on. Some of you add me already.

chris.marron at gmail.com

JustSteve
11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
go here:
in the wave searchbox, enter "with: public coachella message board"...minus the quotes, of course. there are a few of us there. not sure about this thing yet, though. seems like ti could become one giant clusterfuck.

miscorrections
11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Chris. I keep trying to add you to a wave but it keeps glitching on me so maybe Brad or John could add you.

sonofhal
11-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi Corinna - managed to add you to my contacts from the Coachella thingy above. Am I appearing your end, or do you have to add me?

bleep
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
sonofhal, i threw you into the invite-only Coachella wave. i see you're already on the public Coachella wave.