PDA

View Full Version : Live Nation to eliminate service fees for a 24-hour period.

betao
06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
They should do this more often. And by more often, I mean permanently.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/live-nation-cuts-service-fees-in-major-summer-1003978124.story

Live Nation will eliminate service fees on more than five million lawn tickets and hundreds of concerts for its amphitheaters in a one-day promotion June 3. The 24 hour sales event is being billed as the biggest ticket promotion ever, which would be hard to dispute.

"No Service Fee Wednesdays," begins June 3 at 12:01 a.m., offering fans some of the lowest prices of the summer with no ticket service fees on any LiveNation.com-ticketed amphitheater show, and only at LiveNation.com. A source at Live Nation says service fees typically average about one third of the total ticket cost.

Throughout the rest of the summer, Live Nation will offer a variety of "No Service Fee Wednesdays" specials at LiveNation.com. This promotion is not valid in combination with other special pricing offers and is subject to availability. Tickets without service fees are available at all Live Nation-ticketed amphitheaters for concerts including blink-182, Coldplay, No Doubt, Nickelback, Depeche Mode, Toby Keith, Brad Paisley, Crue Fest, Def Leppard/Poison/Cheap Trick, Kid Rock/Lynyrd Skynyrd, Phish, Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addition, the Dead, Rascal Flatts, and many others.

Live Nation has already been tackling the issue of service fees with its in-house ticketing operation launched at the beginning of this year. "We know the fan has been frustrated by the series of successive fees in the purchase process," Live Nation Ticketing CEO Nathan Hubbard tells Billboard.com. "There is attrition in the sales flow once you see your third page with some additional fees. The fan told us they just want to know up front how much the cost of the experience is going to be. We didn’t address that problem completely, but the first step was moving from fan's paying a service fee, you might pay a shipping and handling fee, maybe a print-at-home fee, delivery fee, etc, to consolidating it into a single up-front fee that is there as you cart your inventory."

Hubbard says Live Nation Ticketing has sold more than five million tickets since launching in January.

oh, and if this has been posted already, then delete/flame/lolcat away.

Wheres the beef?
06-01-2009, 01:58 PM
It hasn't been posted already.

But here is a lolcat anyways....

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cat-tanning-salon.jpg

betao
06-01-2009, 02:08 PM
ryan this thread is now a success, no matter what else happens.

familyguy420
06-01-2009, 02:11 PM
thank you

Geno_g
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Matt you better grab your NIN/JA if you don't have them yet...

betao
06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I do have them, got them during the NIN presale back in... whenever it was. It was expensive and service fees galore. I'm wondering if there are any shows worth getting tix for from this though.

humanoid
06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm sure they're jacking up ticket prices a few bucks elsewhere to balance out the loss

suprefan
06-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Muse isnt opening for U2 in Phx, so you got a problem there, unless you are going to any east coast show that isnt sold out, which there arent. It has to be sold through live nation or its not valid for this.

faxman75
06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
They should do this more often. And by more often, I mean permanently.

I'm fairly certain if they eliminated fees permanently they wouldn't be in the ticket selling business.

That's like opening a starbucks and giving all the coffee away. As much as everyone hates fees, hates ticketmaster, hates live nation. The fact is these are all businesses. They are entitled to a profit. The question is at what point do you want some govenrment entity to start regulating this industry. I have seen other non ticketmaster and non live nation ticketing services charge the same if not more on some occasions for the same services.

Granted there are plenty of other reasons these corporations are evil but it's not service alone who sets these fees either.

Geno_g
06-01-2009, 04:29 PM
One thing is they aren't giving way tickets, they are still selling them, without tacking on the extra fees...

faxman75
06-01-2009, 04:32 PM
One thing is they aren't giving way tickets, they are still selling them, without tacking on the extra fees...

The band/label makes money on the ticket. Ticketmaster/Live Nation makes money on the serivce fees.

Ticketmaster collects no part of advertised ticket prices, in lieu it adds services fees to boost its earnings. Consumers often find these markups unreasonably excessive, especially because there are many instances where no alternative purchase method is offered (allowing the purchase of tickets without incurring fees). This business practice, along with a dearth of competitors, has led many to view Ticketmaster as monopolistic. Alternative ticketing companies have emerged but due to Ticketmaster's exclusive agreements with a large percentage of venues the competition has not lowered service fees. Not all events generate the same consternation. Many ticket buyers have the option of purchasing tickets directly from venue box offices, thereby avoiding service fees from any ticketing agent though many box offices will also charge a service fee, particularly if the venue is owned by a ticket agency. The typical fees in addition to a ticket's face value include:

Ticketmaster Service Charge
This is Ticketmaster's charge for the general service they provide and maintain. You will pay this charge no matter which way you buy the tickets through Ticketmaster (Phone, online or in person at a ticket center), although the amount of the charge may be different for different channels and different payment methods.

Building Facility Charge
This is determined by the venue, and not Ticketmaster.

Processing Charge
This is Ticketmaster's charge for processing your order and making the tickets available to you (mail, etc.) This is usually not a per ticket charge, but rather a per order charge.

Shipping, E-Ticket Convenience, or Will Call Charge
Ticketmaster charges a fee for ticket delivery, even if the ticket is in the form of an automatically generated virtual "e-ticket", which buyers must then print out themselves, at their own expense (at a lower cost to Ticketmaster than any other medium). Buyers may also be charged an extra fee to collect the ticket(s) from the venue. E-ticket convenience charges have been known to be issued even when purchasing a ticket directly from Ticketmaster box offices

Geno_g
06-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Then I'm screwing Live Nation every time they have a show at shoreline, because on Sundays there's no fees, I just paid $25 bucks cash to see the YYYs, Crystal Castles, Mike Relm, Metric, and others...

faxman75
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Then I'm screwing Live Nation every time they have a show at shoreline, because on Sundays there's no fees, I just paid $25 bucks cash to see the YYYs, Crystal Castles, Mike Relm, Metric, and others...

Well done. I generally try to purchase at the box office or minimize delivery fees by choosing will call which is usually free. the service charge is sometimes unavoidable and can be really and that sucks but i've yet to see any real competition come in and profit with lower fees and those that try don't last because of many exclusive deals that TM has hammered out with venues. If there should be any regulations it should be with those exclusive deals, they seem to be the glue that makes it seem impossible to avoid high service fees from TM.

amyzzz
06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm not really sure which shows this will work for until Wednesday. Probably nothing I want to see.

suprefan
06-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Please see this as a way to help.

http://onethirtybpm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/livenation.jpg
***PARTICIPATING OR SELECT SHOWS. PARKING FEES MAY APPLY. CANNOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER. SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY.

gaypalmsprings
06-01-2009, 04:48 PM
They'll just raise the ticket prices. They will also withhold the best seats from availability on Wednesdays.

MissingPerson
06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Nickelback, Coldplay, Creed and The Fray?!?! Fucking win!

Geno_g
06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
They won't raise the tickets, just check the prices today, and make sure on Wednesday, none of the shows I have tickets for have gone up yet...

faxman75
06-01-2009, 04:55 PM
They'll just raise the ticket prices. They will also withhold the best seats from availability on Wednesdays.

No, they won't. Live Nation does not set the ticket prices.

mountmccabe
06-01-2009, 04:58 PM
If there are PJ Harvey + John Parish at the Wiltern and Grizzly Bear at the Wiltern tickets available I'm purchasing them.

pre-Edit: As of right now the only Grizzly Bear tickets available are Mezzanine and I am not interested in those. There are (currently) floor tickets for PJH + JP, though.

Wheres the beef?
06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
If it wasn't for this I don't think I could have justified purchasing tickets to the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Tour featuring Marilyn Manson and Slayer.

JustSteve
06-01-2009, 05:30 PM
If there are PJ Harvey + John Parish at the Wiltern and Grizzly Bear at the Wiltern tickets available I'm purchasing them.

pre-Edit: As of right now the only Grizzly Bear tickets available are Mezzanine and I am not interested in those. There are (currently) floor tickets for PJH + JP, though.

"all amphitheater shows", i don't believe the wiltern falls into that category

shakermaker113
06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
so they are offering a "rape free" option exclusively for people that we don't want to be. awesome.

boarderwoozel3
06-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Too bad that those tours either suck, are uninteresting to me or have already come though town. Suck it, Live Nation.

whynotsmile99
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
most of the good shows are probably sold out already too

some deal livenation

mountmccabe
06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
"all amphitheater shows", i don't believe the wiltern falls into that category

Ahh. I guess I missed that.

fatbastard
06-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Is Live Nation officially up and !@#$ing people again?

beavington
06-02-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm fairly certain if they eliminated fees permanently they wouldn't be in the ticket selling business.

That's like opening a starbucks and giving all the coffee away. As much as everyone hates fees, hates ticketmaster, hates live nation. The fact is these are all businesses. They are entitled to a profit. The question is at what point do you want some govenrment entity to start regulating this industry. I have seen other non ticketmaster and non live nation ticketing services charge the same if not more on some occasions for the same services.

Granted there are plenty of other reasons these corporations are evil but it's not service alone who sets these fees either.

i like how someones wishing outloud (because I am sure we all know the reasoning why they keep the fees) becomes a lesson in business.

faxman75
06-02-2009, 08:00 AM
I like how people have still found a way to be upset that a company is waving fees for some events.

DHARMA2112
06-02-2009, 08:16 AM
I like how people have still found a way to be upset that a company is waving fees for some events.

Because it really is just an empty gesture, and IMO it's a PR stunt, to make them look good. They know the general public has ill feelings towards them, especially since it was announced they are trying to merge with ticketmaster.

Doing shit like this is like them saying: "see, we really aren't that bad, we aren't this evil corporation". Lastly, its hilarious how the CEO just casually admits that "yeah, fees take up a third of the tickets price".

Ardentbiscuit
06-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Considering this is only for select ampitheatre shows for lawn seats. There are very few shows this will actually make a difference on.

faxman75
06-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Because it really is just an empty gesture, and IMO it's a PR stunt, to make them look good. They know the general public has ill feelings towards them, especially since it was announced they are trying to merge with ticketmaster.

Doing shit like this is like them saying: "see, we really aren't that bad, we aren't this evil corporation". Lastly, its hilarious how the CEO just casually admits that "yeah, fees take up a third of the tickets price".

Of course they aren't doing it just to be nice. It's like any other promotion. Plus ticket sales are down a bit so this will put a few more asses inside the venue.

Now you have hit on the real issue. The merger with ticketmaster where there is no choice and we are all continually fucked. My issue is with people who don't understand who to blame or how it all works. There are people that believe there shouldn't be any service fees whatsoever, there are also people who believe that all the fees go to TM or LN. Then you have people who think TM or LN set the ticket price.

None of the above is true. If you get rid of ticketing services all together, then you have to go to the venue which for some folks is fine but now you get to see the fees the venue charges "processing fee and facility charge fee". Those fees are much more reasonable.

I paid $28 for a $25 Yeah yeah yeah's ticket at the box office of the venue. Well worth it. I could have purchased the ticket online through luckyman productions, notice it's not TM or LN, a private ticketing company for local shows. If I purchased online and printed at home it's a $2.50 delivery fee similiar to TM and LN. On top of that there was a $3.00 Order fee and then a $6.50 ticket fee. So my $25 ticket is now $37 dollars.

Every place that sells tickets is evil. They all charge a lot of money in fees.

Live Nation and Ticketmaster have caused the bottom line cost of tickets to double in the last 10 years.

Remember, buy at the box office every chance you get. Fear the merger between these two and understand that all ticket services are charging more than they should.

DHARMA2112
06-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Good post.

All I'm saying is, the offer is only as good as the offer really is. And when you look at the fine print (because there are a lot of stipulations) - you find that they limited the offer to a narrow set of things, so to speak. So I don't really blame people for being mad - because the offer is pretty shit in most cases. It's an empty promise. It's the classic case of "too good to be true" - you read the headline "No Service Fee Wednesdays" - get excited, then read the bottom, where it tells you only good for Amphitheater and select shows, and mostly just lawn seats. That excitement then turns to "meh".

If they really wanted to make a good "deal" - why not just wave all fees for every show, for a 12 hour period, once a month....now that would be cool.

luckyface
06-02-2009, 08:54 AM

Well, when they are basically just trying to find some way to pawn off the rest of their crappy lawn seats that would not be otherwise purchased to economically strapped people, I think people on here can see through the bullshit. It is nothing more than that. People can point that out, you know.

faxman75
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Good post.

All I'm saying is, the offer is only as good as the offer really is. And when you look at the fine print (because there are a lot of stipulations) - you find that they limited the offer to a narrow set of things, so to speak. So I don't really blame people for being mad - because the offer is pretty shit in most cases. It's an empty promise. It's the classic case of "too good to be true" - you read the headline "No Service Fee Wednesdays" - get excited, then read the bottom, where it tells you only good for Amphitheater and select shows, and mostly just lawn seats. That excitement then turns to "meh".

If they really wanted to make a good "deal" - why not just wave all fees for every show, for a 12 hour period, once a month....now that would be cool.

Sure, I agree with you. The companies would still fucking suck but that would be a nice gesture. I guess my point is they don't suck any more because of what they are doing and most people have shitty taste in music so this is good for those folks. I guess I always assume ahead of time a deal is too good to be true and the fine print is all part of it. At the end of the day if you want to go to any of those shows then you save a few bucks you wouldn't have to begin with. That's all i'm saying. They both still suck but I just figured they sucked a little less because they obviously don't have to do this at all.

DHARMA2112
06-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Sure, I agree with you. The companies would still fucking suck but that would be a nice gesture. I guess my point is they don't suck any more because of what they are doing and most people have shitty taste in music so this is good for those folks. I guess I always assume ahead of time a deal is too good to be true and the fine print is all part of it. At the end of the day if you want to go to any of those shows then you save a few bucks you wouldn't have to begin with. That's all i'm saying. They both still suck but I just figured they sucked a little less because they obviously don't have to do this at all.

I suppose that is a way to look at it. My hate for them has always been the same tho. I really don't consider my hate level going up - just because of this.

I just think the deal is shitty is all. If I was ever to hate them more for this deal, it would be because I think they are doing this as a stunt to make them look good, since they want to merge. But there is no proof to prove that, so I don't. It's probably more of a case of, they just need to get rid of these lawn seats for summer, so they thought they would wave the fees.

Oh well, this promotion doesn't help me one bit. Maybe in the future they will do a promotion that is better.

shakermaker113
06-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Every place that sells tickets is evil. They all charge a lot of money in fees.

the bay area used to have bass tickets, which was non profit. there were no service fees. there would be a 2 or 3 dollar order processing fee (per ORDER, not per ticket), to cover their costs, and that was it. not evil.

then ticketmaster came along and ended all that.

you are right that they need to charge fees to make a profit. I don't anyone really hopes for no service (oh, sorry, "convenience") charges. the problem is how much they ask for. it's fucking ridiculous. they could profit at $3 a ticket. I wouldn't complain if that were all they asked. but they don't, they tend to ask $10+ per ticket.

faxman75
06-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Which is exactly why some people feel justified in stealing music. The labels would still profit if CD's were reasonably priced at around 9.99 but instead the industry kept charging $16.99 and more.

Companies will charge more than need be as long as they can. Unfortunatley there isn't a way to steal concert tickets.....yet. In this day and age the bands could feasibly not sign contracts with any ticketing agency, then they could also try (though very difficult) to only play venues that aren't contracted with ticket agencies much like Pearl Jam did in 1995 for their Vitalogy tour except now the bands can sell their own tickets all through their own websites, then mail or will call.

The more serious part of this issue is what is happening to small clubs around the country because of ticketmaster and live nation. The ticketing agencies have so much power all these exclusive artist deals are causing clubs to not be able to sign better talent.

Lets not forget that ticketmaster even owns a scalping site called tickets now where they profit even more on the same pair of tickets they got paid for the first time around.

shakermaker113
06-02-2009, 10:01 AM
agreed. although as far as the pearl jam thing goes, I though that when they tried to boycott ticketmaster and found it was impossible at the size venues they were playing? story I heard was that they eventually came to a compromise with ticketmaster, and managed to get them to agree to lower service charges for that tour. but perhaps I am mistaken.

faxman75
06-02-2009, 10:24 AM
The show I saw in Chicago was sold through a private ticketing agency. They played at Soldier Field because that venue had no exclusive contract with ticketmaster. So, maybe not the entire tour but at least a couple shows went down that way. They sold the tickets eclusively over the telephone. I still have my special ticket. :)

mountmccabe
06-02-2009, 11:52 AM
I honestly have no idea the last time I got tickets for a show - other than Coachella - through Ticketmaster... or even Live Nation or Luckyman. Most of the time I am able to buy at the door. And the only shows I've been concerned about recently I've been able to get the tickets at Stinkweeds, paying a fee of a buck.

Of course if I lived somewhere like LA or went to more shows like Aerosmith and Marilyn Manson I bet things'd be a lot different.

Case in point: if I end up going to LA for PJ Harvey and/or Grizzly Bear that'll mean dealing with Live Nation and their $10+ fees. Woohoo!!

faxman75
06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Even shows at colleges have ticket fees. Wilco at Centennial Hall U of A Campus.

Order Fees: Web: $5/Order, Phone: $10/Order, Window: No Fee.

A non-refundable $4 per ticket fee applies for all individual ticket purchases (waived for Subscribers, group sales and Students/Faculty/Staff).

That's between $9 and $14 for a $32 ticket. Right on par with live nation and ticketmaster.

This is a tucson show so I was stuck purchasing over the net. The same will happen when I purchase tickets to The national at the Wiltern in L.A.

mountmccabe
06-02-2009, 12:36 PM
The national at the Wiltern in L.A.

Oooh, Saturday

faxman75
06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I had no idea until I saw Dharma's signature. Now I have to purchase tickets this Friday. :D

DHARMA2112
06-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I had no idea until I saw Dharma's signature. Now I have to purchase tickets this Friday. :D

:)

We should do a meet up for these Wiltern shows. I know they did one for Animal Collective. I'll be at Grizzly Bear and the National. Would be sweet to meet some of you guys/gals.

faxman75
06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm down for a meetup Dharma. Once I secure tickets and the date gets closer we'll talk more.

shakermaker113
06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
in response to the arguments that most ticketing agencies charge similarly outrageous service fees --

that's because ticketmaster set the standard. they made it the norm to charge that kind of service fee, and now other ticketing agencies can get away with it too.

that doesn't make it any better.

allyjoy
06-02-2009, 07:35 PM
last year livenation did something like this right around summer where they offered $5 dollar tickets or something ridiculously cheap, but it ended up being a choice of a bunch crappy bands and you still had to pay the service fees. the $5 ticket ended up being $25. this is just their m.o.

gaypalmsprings
06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/rex-grossman-screwed.jpg

betao
06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
cute.

suprefan
06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Of course it had to be a packer and a bear.

gaypalmsprings
06-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Of course it had to be a packer and a bear.

good one

faxman75
06-02-2009, 08:18 PM
in response to the arguments that most ticketing agencies charge similarly outrageous service fees --

that's because ticketmaster set the standard. they made it the norm to charge that kind of service fee, and now other ticketing agencies can get away with it too.

that doesn't make it any better.

It doesn't make it criminal either. The market is what it is. If people don't want to pay these convenience fees they can go to the box office. Most venues have one. As long as people want convenience the ticketing agencies will continue to get whatever they can. I do understand that there are some venues that don't sell at a box office but most do and if people stopped their clicking they would save money.

faxman75
06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
last year livenation did something like this right around summer where they offered $5 dollar tickets or something ridiculously cheap, but it ended up being a choice of a bunch crappy bands and you still had to pay the service fees. the $5 ticket ended up being $25. this is just their m.o.

True, but I also don't have a problem with paying less than $20 to see NIN/JA which I was able to do. So, what I wonder is if that promo was a live nation promo or a NIN/JA promo. I think it was Live Nation. I took the bone they threw me. Does that mean they are awesome now? No, it just means they do promotions every now and again and that happened to be a cool one.

suprefan
06-02-2009, 08:43 PM
All they want is people inside the venue, if they got you in with paying barely $20, theyll get another $50 out of you buying food, merch and beer.Whats more successful? A concert that has 5,000 people who paid $150 a ticket? Or 20,000 who paid $40 a ticket? Its pretty much the same amount of money in ticket sales, but you know the 20k equals more buying power for concessions.

shakermaker113
06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
It doesn't make it criminal either. The market is what it is. If people don't want to pay these convenience fees they can go to the box office. Most venues have one. As long as people want convenience the ticketing agencies will continue to get whatever they can. I do understand that there are some venues that don't sell at a box office but most do and if people stopped their clicking they would save money.

true. they charge as much as we are willing to pay. but you have to admit that they ask more than they need. being able to (and having the right to) charge that much doesn't come with any obligation. they choose to maximize profit with the bare minimum customer satisfaction. they clearly serve their investors more than their customers, so it's not really surprising that their customers complain so consistently.

GnarVee
06-02-2009, 09:03 PM
gonna get 2 BFD tix......

sweet.

suprefan
06-02-2009, 10:16 PM
And btw, its been up for the last hour. midnight starting eastern time is when this started going.

Blinken
06-03-2009, 02:06 AM
They are still charging the Facility Fee, Charity and Parking Fees during this time too. So they are only elminating the Service Fee, not all the extra fees.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/02/concert.fees/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

gaypalmsprings
06-03-2009, 07:20 AM
"Still, the promotion will save consumers several dollars on amphitheater lawn seats bought from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Wednesday."

http://www.studiofocus.it/grafica/gif2/anims2/money_3654.gif

http://420.thrashbarg.net/pedobear_pipe.jpg

faxman75
06-03-2009, 07:51 AM
true. they charge as much as we are willing to pay. but you have to admit that they ask more than they need. being able to (and having the right to) charge that much doesn't come with any obligation. they choose to maximize profit with the bare minimum customer satisfaction. they clearly serve their investors more than their customers, so it's not really surprising that their customers complain so consistently.

I think the same can be said for just about every corporation in the country. What business isn't trying to maximize profit with minimum effort and minimum customer service?

faxman75
06-03-2009, 07:52 AM
They are still charging the Facility Fee, Charity and Parking Fees during this time too. So they are only elminating the Service Fee, not all the extra fees.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/02/concert.fees/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Of course, they don't have control over those other fees. The facility fee is charged by the venue as well as charity and parking fees. They only have the power to eliminate their own profit.

shakermaker113
06-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I think the same can be said for just about every corporation in the country. What business isn't trying to maximize profit with minimum effort and minimum customer service?

is that supposed to justify it?

shakermaker113
06-03-2009, 09:29 AM

you forgot about the service fee calculation fee.

faxman75
06-03-2009, 09:40 AM
is that supposed to justify it?

Absolutely. It's capitalism.

Who do you think should set the prices for everything on the market if not the person providing the product or service? I'm just saying that ultimately you are just decrying all of capitalism, it's not just a ticketmaster / live nation thing or a ticketing service thing. It's how business is in America. So, I ask you. If you don't like how business works, how would you propose to regulate these things and what industries are you wanting to regulate aside from the ticket industry because you would be setting a new standard.

Trick Loves The Kids
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
- Socialize everything

mountmccabe
06-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Demand for these shows is relatively inelastic. Hell, plenty of us spend plenty extra to travel for these shows. If we're willing to pay for plane tickets and hotel rooms and other travel expenses shouldn't we be willing to pay that much more to see them in our hometown? Granted, there are other benefits of traveling (and other, non-monetary costs) but that's a tangent from a tangent and I haven't even gotten into people paying extra for scalped tickets.

The main thing is everybody involved - the artists, the venues, the promoters, the ticketing companies, the parking garages - charge what they charge because we keep paying it. And as long as the shows keep making money, they're going to keep charging more and more.

Though it seems like this whole eliminate service fees for a day thing is in response to a slacking off of sales. As has been noted they're only doing it to try and get rid of extra tickets for shows that were overpriced/terrible.

mountmccabe
06-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Basically what I'm saying is whining about ticket prices is fucking annoying. Go or don't go; that's your fucking choice. Or, I guess, start your own band/promotion company/ticketing service/etc and charge as little as you can get away with and see how that works.

If we avoid terrible, overpriced things they will go away and/or become more reasonably priced. Unless there're enough other people who like overpaying for terrible things.

Blinken
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Absolutely. It's capitalism.

Who do you think should set the prices for everything on the market if not the person providing the product or service? I'm just saying that ultimately you are just decrying all of capitalism, it's not just a ticketmaster / live nation thing or a ticketing service thing. It's how business is in America. So, I ask you. If you don't like how business works, how would you propose to regulate these things and what industries are you wanting to regulate aside from the ticket industry because you would be setting a new standard.

You are right, but the real problem is that the fees don't show up until after you select the tickets. I would just like to know upfront what the total price of a show is. If the just upped the ticket prices and included the fees in them, and advertised no more fees everyone would be happy. We wouldn't see the fees and we would all know how much a show really is.

WhyTheLongFace
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
YAY this works on Rock The Bells tickets

faxman75
06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Unless there're enough other people who like overpaying for terrible things.

Oh there are plenty of those other people. We live in a society where people are happy to shell out $10 for one of these at a baseball game and do it with a smile.

http://www.k-read.net/spiritstuff/Spirit_18foamhand.jpg

faxman75
06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
You are right, but the real problem is that the fees don't show up until after you select the tickets. I would just like to know upfront what the total price of a show is. If the just upped the ticket prices and included the fees in them, and advertised no more fees everyone would be happy. We wouldn't see the fees and we would all know how much a show really is.

You know what all the fees are prior to payment. It's not like you see $25 and click to send over your financial information and find out you were just charged $40.

All fees are shown prior to purchase.

mountmccabe
06-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Ahh, good, then I get to subsidize everybody else's parking pass fee and TicketFast! fee or overnight delivery fee. Or are those fees OK to be at the end?

The problem with upfront pricing is that everybody wants different options. They'd have to switch to a "you can have your ticket in any color you want as long as it's black" policy to really do upfront pricing. Otherwise it's just another scam promotion full of fine print.

luckyface
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Demand for these shows is relatively inelastic. Hell, plenty of us spend plenty extra to travel for these shows. If we're willing to pay for plane tickets and hotel rooms and other travel expenses shouldn't we be willing to pay that much more to see them in our hometown? Granted, there are other benefits of traveling (and other, non-monetary costs) but that's a tangent from a tangent and I haven't even gotten into people paying extra for scalped tickets.

The main thing is everybody involved - the artists, the venues, the promoters, the ticketing companies, the parking garages - charge what they charge because we keep paying it. And as long as the shows keep making money, they're going to keep charging more and more.

Though it seems like this whole eliminate service fees for a day thing is in response to a slacking off of sales. As has been noted they're only doing it to try and get rid of extra tickets for shows that were overpriced/terrible.

Basically what I'm saying is whining about ticket prices is fucking annoying. Go or don't go; that's your fucking choice. Or, I guess, start your own band/promotion company/ticketing service/etc and charge as little as you can get away with and see how that works.

If we avoid terrible, overpriced things they will go away and/or become more reasonably priced. Unless there're enough other people who like overpaying for terrible things.

I would just like to state for the record you consistently make excellent posts.

mountmccabe
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Oh there are plenty of those other people. We live in a society where people are happy to shell out $10 for one of these at a baseball game and do it with a smile.

http://www.k-read.net/spiritstuff/Spirit_18foamhand.jpg

How else could you demonstrate to others who is #1?

Blinken
06-03-2009, 10:16 AM
You know what all the fees are prior to payment. It's not like you see $25 and click to send over your financial information and find out you were just charged $40.

All fees are shown prior to purchase.

Yes they are, but like last summer when the offered $5 tickets and you then found out that were really $25 ticket after all the fees. I would just like to see the actual cost to the consumer upfront, before I go pull up a ticket in their system. I know this will never happen because by advertising the lowest price possible more people will try to buy the ticket and some will turn away when they see the charges, most will just say fuck it. This includes some people that probably wouldn't have gotten them if the advertised price was the total price. It is just something I would like to see happen.

tessalasset
06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Of course, they don't have control over those other fees. The facility fee is charged by the venue as well as charity and parking fees. They only have the power to eliminate their own profit.

how does live nation not have control over these fees? isn't it their venue? their parking lot?

Blinken
06-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Ahh, good, then I get to subsidize everybody else's parking pass fee and TicketFast! fee or overnight delivery fee. Or are those fees OK to be at the end?

The problem with upfront pricing is that everybody wants different options. They'd have to switch to a "you can have your ticket in any color you want as long as it's black" policy to really do upfront pricing. Otherwise it's just another scam promotion full of fine print.

Well those would be at the end, because they are optional. I am just talking about the fees everyone pays already. Service Fee, facility fee, and charity fee.

You are already subsidizing parking with Live Nation because they charge everyone a parking fee. It won't be totally fee free if you w3ant preium parking or shipping, but for a regular purchase there would be no fees.

suprefan
06-03-2009, 10:20 AM
how does live nation not have control over these fees? isn't it their venue? their parking lot?

Yes they do, Mark is just talking cause he can. I actuallyexplained it the best last night, everyone just wants to keep talking capitalism b.s., THEY JUST WANT PEOPLE INSIDE THE GATES! Thats not hard to figure out.

faxman75
06-03-2009, 10:21 AM

No, the ticketing service does not own the venue or the parking lot. The facility fee is put in place by the venue, not the ticketing service. You will pay that facility fee whne you purchase at the box office without using said ticketing services.

Blinken
06-03-2009, 10:23 AM
No, the ticketing service does not own the venue or the parking lot. The facility fee is put in place by the venue, not the ticketing service. You will pay that facility fee whne you purchase at the box office without using said ticketing services.

Tessa is right, Live Nation owns the venues. That is how they got started in the ticketing business, they were annoyed that Ticketmaster was making all this profit that weren't seeing any of. So they decided to start selling tickets for their own venues themselves.

faxman75
06-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes they do, Mark is just talking cause he can. I actuallyexplained it the best last night, everyone just wants to keep talking capitalism b.s., THEY JUST WANT PEOPLE INSIDE THE GATES! Thats not hard to figure out.

You are abslutely wrong Chris, do some research before you spew your douchebaggery. :) Thanks.

The venue and the ticketing agency are two seperate entities.

Facility Charge
The purpose for this charge varies from venue to venue. Not all venues charge a facility charge. Ticketmaster does not determine the facility charge. The facility charge is not retained by Ticketmaster; it is remitted to the venue.

Blinken
06-03-2009, 10:25 AM
That is TicketMaster not Live Nation, they are two seperate companies.

tessalasset
06-03-2009, 10:28 AM
faxman, it doesn't seem like you understand the scope of live nation.

ticketmaster does not determine the facility charge because ticketmaster does not own the venue. ticketmaster just does ticketing for venues. live nation DOES own venues and DOES do its own ticketing. they're all in on it.

faxman75
06-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Tessa is right, Live Nation owns the venues. That is how they got started in the ticketing business, they were annoyed that Ticketmaster was making all this profit that weren't seeing any of. So they decided to start selling tickets for their own venues themselves.

They do own some venues but they don't own every venue that charges a facility fee. That's what i'm saying. There are loads of venues that charge facility fees that aren't owned by a ticketing service.

tessalasset
06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
live nation ditched ticketmaster last year so that it could sell its own tickets to its venues. it's one company setting the fees for everything.

tessalasset
06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.livenation.com/venues

edit: actually this link isn't fair. they just list every single venue out there.

faxman75
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
faxman, it doesn't seem like you understand the scope of live nation.

ticketmaster does not determine the facility charge because ticketmaster does not own the venue. ticketmaster just does ticketing for venues. live nation DOES own venues and DOES do its own ticketing. they're all in on it.

Facility fees have been included in ticket prices long before live nation owned the venues though.

You are correct I was speaking of Ticketmaster and not Live Nation when talking about owning the venues. I don't see the point of crticizing live nation for fees that have been in existence for these facilities since long before they owned these facilities.

tessalasset
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
because now they OWN the venues and are able to set whatever price they want. (i'm not criticizing by the way. just stating a fact).

JustSteve
06-03-2009, 10:35 AM
maybe they keep the maintenance costs separate so they charge that fee on its own per each venue. keep each one it's own entity in a sense with its own budget, etc.

faxman75
06-03-2009, 10:37 AM
because now they OWN the venues and are able to set whatever price they want. (i'm not criticizing by the way. just stating a fact).

Understood, I guess my point is, that's not something to criticize them over if they haven't raised those fees since they took over. They basically kept those the same unless I missed some increase.

tessalasset
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
steve i'm sure they do but it still all pipes into the same place in the end.

faxman75
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM

This is where I messed up. You are correct. When we went from talking about ticketing services and their fees in general to talking about Live Nation specifically and their facilities that they own I got lost.

Point for Blinken and Tessa. :)

Supre still gets -250 pts.

mountmccabe
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Well those would be at the end, because they are optional. I am just talking about the fees everyone pays already. Service Fee, facility fee, and charity fee.

You are already subsidizing parking with Live Nation because they charge everyone a parking fee. It won't be totally fee free if you w3ant preium parking or shipping, but for a regular purchase there would be no fees.

I was gonna say something about a scam promotion full of fine print... OK, fine, I posted it. And then deleted it because I decided it was unnecessary to repeat that after you go on about fine print that's OK to have at the end.

But, see, that's defeatist. This is the age of Web 2.0, not era of the start of the mass production of automobiles. Ticketmaster (or whatever ticketing service) could allow you to set up a profile with your preferences for such options. You have to log in to buy the tickets anyway. It could be as complicated or as simple as they/you want.

[] I never want parking included in my ticket price and I never want the option to purchase at the end
[] I never want parking included in my ticket price but I want the option to add it on at the end
[] I always want the best available parking included in my ticket price, one vehicle per ____ tickets
[] I always want parking included in my ticket price for the following venues
----[] Rhythm Room
----[] Modified Arts
----[] Marquee Theatre
----[] The Clubhouse
----[] Mesa Amphitheatre
[] I want parking included in my ticket price unless the venue is >1 mile from a light rail stop. [This includes The Clubhouse, Mesa Amphitheatre, Jobing.com Arena]

Etc. Parking could be made the most complicated (but they wouldn't necessarily have to go into that much detail); something like ticket delivery method could be very simple.

amyzzz
06-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Here are the ones in the Phoenix area:

Tue, 06/30/09
12:00 p.m. Cricket Wireless Pavilion
Phoenix, AZ Vans Warped Tour Get Info

Fri, 07/17/09
02:15 p.m. Cricket Wireless Pavilion
Phoenix, AZ Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival feat. Marilyn Manson & Slayer

Mon, 07/27/09
07:30 p.m. Cricket Wireless Pavilion
Phoenix, AZ Aerosmith with ZZ Top

Fri, 08/14/09
07:30 p.m. Cricket Wireless Pavilion
Phoenix, AZ Toby Keith w/ Trace Adkins presented by Ford F-Series

Sat, 08/29/09
08:00 p.m. Cricket Wireless Pavilion
Phoenix, AZ Def Leppard with Poison and Cheap Trick

I guess we only have one amphitheatre that counts.

Courtney
06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
All they want is people inside the venue, if they got you in with paying barely $20, theyll get another $50 out of you buying food, merch and beer.Whats more successful? A concert that has 5,000 people who paid $150 a ticket? Or 20,000 who paid $40 a ticket? Its pretty much the same amount of money in ticket sales, but you know the 20k equals more buying power for concessions.

But don't those revenue streams go to different places? The way I understand it, profit from merch often goes to the band/label, whereas profit from food/beer goes to the venue. It's not all one big pot of money going the same place, so it's not really comparable.

I agree with most of what you are saying, except that demand for concert tickets is inelastic. Concerts are by definition a luxury good with high elasticity of demand. This is pretty clearly demonstrated by the fact that ticket sales have been so heavily effected by the recession (as opposed to something like milk with an inelastic demand which people are going to continue to buy even if the economy is bad).

It's true that there are people on this message board that will go to great lengths to attend the concerts of their favorite bands -- even traveling to other countries to do so. But these are extreme cases of a very small segment of the overall concert-going population. We are not representative of the average ticket buyer.

suprefan
06-03-2009, 02:46 PM
ARE WE DONE WITH THIS INANE B.S.!!!!?!?? THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY, DEAL WITH IT, THEY ARE CORPORATE, DEAL WITH IT. Its not like anyone isnt stating the obvious or came up with some new model to avoid all of this.

The game is going to change soon, youll see.

faxman75
06-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Pent up frustration?

tessalasset
06-03-2009, 02:50 PM
chris we're having a nice discussion in here. please go away if you're done contributing.

gaypalmsprings
06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
chris we're having a nice discussion in here. please go away if you're done contributing.

Is it your birthday again, Tessa?

tessalasset
06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
not for another three and a half months.

Blinken
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I was gonna say something about a scam promotion full of fine print... OK, fine, I posted it. And then deleted it because I decided it was unnecessary to repeat that after you go on about fine print that's OK to have at the end.

But, see, that's defeatist. This is the age of Web 2.0, not era of the start of the mass production of automobiles. Ticketmaster (or whatever ticketing service) could allow you to set up a profile with your preferences for such options. You have to log in to buy the tickets anyway. It could be as complicated or as simple as they/you want.

[] I never want parking included in my ticket price and I never want the option to purchase at the end
[] I never want parking included in my ticket price but I want the option to add it on at the end
[] I always want the best available parking included in my ticket price, one vehicle per ____ tickets
[] I always want parking included in my ticket price for the following venues
----[] Rhythm Room
----[] Modified Arts
----[] Marquee Theatre
----[] The Clubhouse
----[] Mesa Amphitheatre
[] I want parking included in my ticket price unless the venue is >1 mile from a light rail stop. [This includes The Clubhouse, Mesa Amphitheatre, Jobing.com Arena]

Etc. Parking could be made the most complicated (but they wouldn't necessarily have to go into that much detail); something like ticket delivery method could be very simple.

That would be great and make check out more streamlined. It would probably help the server load by not having to ask as many questions and gather more data from the consumer. The problem though is that customized price info won't transfer over to the individual bands web page that advertises the concerts. To me it seems that is the first place people see the price, and it should be as accurate as possible.

My point is that these are all optional and that is good because gives people the options to spend what they want. What I was trying to suggest is that the mandatory service fees just be included. So when you see a poster that says $20 for a show it is actually just $20 unless the consumer wants to pay for premium parking or premium shipping. For Example if next year Coachella had a no fee flat rate of $300 unless you want premium shipping, it would make the consumer feel better about the purchase. Of course the fees would still exist and ticket prices would go up to meet the actual price. We would still complain because as you said it is just scam promotion, but as Tessa points out we are not the majority of the concert going public. I think the majority would be happy with this and it would give some good press to the company that does this.

I mentioned earlier that it might have an adverse effect on the concert industry by raising the advertised price. This could discourge people that otherwise would have bought the tickets anyway, similar to an impulse buy, once the find out about the extra $20 in fees. In fact if Ticketmaster/Live Nation really wanted they could promote lower ticket prices while adding other fees like "Cleanup Fees," "Artist Fees," or "Electricity Fees." Although the cleanup and electricity are probably what makes up the Facility fee already I am not sure, I haven't looked at their books. The price of a ticket though could be broken down more into seperate fees than it already is. This would just piss off more people though.

betao
06-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Hmmm.

http://www.livedaily.com/news/19325.html

Live Nation expands no-fee ticket offer

After experiencing what the company claims was a 500% sales increase in response to its recent no-service-fee lawn-seats promotion, concert behemoth Live Nation plans to sell all of its amphitheater tickets without fees this Wednesday (6/10).

"Music fans, we heard you loud and clear," Live Nation President and Chief Executive Officer Michael Rapino said in a prepared statement. "So we have made 'No Service Fee Wednesday' even bigger and better by making even more tickets more affordable. Our job is to get as many fans as possible to the show to see their favorite artists. We're helping to do that by dropping the service fee on all tickets in our amphitheaters this Wednesday only at LiveNation.com."

The 24-hour no-service-fee sales event will begin at 12:01 a.m. local time Wednesday (6/10) via Live Nation's website, and will include tickets to amphitheater shows by a slew of big-name artists, including those listed below.

"While the service fee has been dropped, parking and certain venue fees and taxes still apply," Live Nation said in a press release.

Live Nation's no-fee promotion comes as that company and fellow ticketing giant Ticketmaster remain under federal scrutiny for a planned merger that the two companies announced earlier year. (LiveDaily is an operating unit of Ticketmaster Entertainment, which also owns Ticketmaster.)

The "No Service Fee Wednesday" promotion includes tickets for amphitheater performances in the US and Canada by:

Aerosmith
The Allman Brothers Band
blink-182
Brad Paisley with Dierks Bentley
Coldplay
Crosby Stills & Nash
Crue Fest 2
Dave Matthews Band
Def Leppard with Poison and Cheap Trick
Depeche Mode
The Fray
George Strait with Blake Shelton and Julianne Hough
Incubus
Jason Mraz
Kid Rock & Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Killers
New Kids on the Block
Nickelback
Nine Inch Nails and Jane’s Addiction
No Doubt
O.A.R.
Rascal Flatts with Darius Rucker
REO Speedwagon & Styx
Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival featuring Marilyn Manson & Slayer
Rod Stewart
Toby Keith with Trace Adkins
Warped Tour

I love how he says "Music fans, we heard you loud and clear". Yeah, like you never noticed all of the complaining that has been going on for years about this.

boarderwoozel3
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
They heard us alright, but honesty is not inherent in truth. They choose to listen through the only medium that matters to them, the bottom line. We can throw a fit, riot or whatever but if people are still buying tickets it won't matter. The only way we the consumer can permanently change the way Live Nation charges is is to stop buying tickets though them.

They're clearly still making a ton of money somewhere if they're so willing to run this promotion again. I doubt it's merely a PR move at this point.

suprefan
06-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Since its a pointless discussion sure.

tessalasset
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
They heard us alright, but honesty is not inherent in truth. They choose to listen through the only medium that matters to them, the bottom line. We can throw a fit, riot or whatever but if people are still buying tickets it won't matter. The only way we the consumer can permanently change the way Live Nation charges is is to stop buying tickets though them.

They're clearly still making a ton of money somewhere if they're so willing to run this promotion again. I doubt it's merely a PR move at this point.

i bet it was part of the plan all along to run it again. and they'll probably run it every wednesday this summer.

Wheres the beef?
06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Live Nation didnt hear any of you. Unless you all were buying tickets to Nickelback, Coldplay, or The Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Tour featuring Marylin Manson and Slayer.

buddy
06-09-2009, 05:24 PM
alright

Ardentbiscuit
07-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Live Nation Teams With Microsoft

Posted on Tuesday June 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM 2 |

What do you get when the world’s largest concert promotion company teams up with the biggest software company on the planet? A browser that gives you a free Nickelback song.

Fans who download a customized version of MS Internet Explorer 8 at www.ie8-nickelback.com will get exclusive access to a live version of the band’s “Something In Your Mind” along with those always popular “behind-the-scenes” videos of life on the road.

In addition to the Nickelback-enabled version of IE 8, Live Nation and Microsoft are also offering a Bamboozle-flavored browser. Located at www.ie8-thebamboozlefestival.com, the customized browser provides access to interviews from more than 50 Bamboozle bands, including All Time Low, 3OH!3 and We The Kings.

As you’ve probably guessed by now, IE 8 is a sponsor of Nickelback’s Dark Horse 2009 tour and Live Nation’s Bamboozle Music Festival. The LN/MS hookup demonstrates the flexibility of the IE 8 browser and how it can be customized to provide users with information such as ticket deals, onsale dates and promotions. You can bet there are more customized browsers waiting in the wings.

Click here for www.ie8-nickleback.com.

Click here for www.ie8-thebamboozlefestival.com.

Click here for Live Nation’s announcement

First this kind of scammy service fee promotion and now this?

Is this really the best they could do?

http://pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/06/30/676395.aspx

Ardentbiscuit
07-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Gwen Stefani now comes with a free hot dog
02:23 PM PT, Jul 6 2009

Who says the monolithic ticket-lords aren’t paying attention?

With the current economic climate taking an increasingly larger bite out of the concert business bottom line, Live Nation has been offering No Service Fee Wednesdays, when concert-goers can buy tickets to select shows without incurring those painful service fees that often discourage potential buyers from pressing the “send” button on expensive ticket orders.

On July 8, Live Nation will add even more incentive with All-In-One pricing for lawn tickets on Wednesdays, which throws in parking, a hot dog and a soda (on top of no services charges) all for only $29.99. Finally, the recession is working for fans of live music. There’s no word on a vegetarian option for those free hot dogs, though.

Tickets for the first edition of All-in-One Wednesday” (which includes shows from Blink 182 and Coldplay) go on sale at 12:01 a.m. PST on July 8 at www.LiveNation.com. Other concerts affected in the L.A. area include No Doubt (Aug. 4), Rock the Bells (Aug. 8), Toby Keith (Aug. 15) and more, including all shows at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine.

-- Scott T. Sterling

betao
07-07-2009, 08:14 AM
That is actually borderline cool.

shakermaker113
07-07-2009, 08:38 AM
does the 29.99 include the ticket? or is that just for parking and the hot dog? I'm confused.

Ardentbiscuit
07-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I called Livenation and they said it included the ticket, parking, hot dog and soda.

It's hard to believe, we shall see when Weds comes around.

JorgeC
07-07-2009, 09:17 AM
last Wednesday's $5 lawn tix were a better deal, I got 4 Blink 182 tix for like $68 (after all the fees). For the $29.99 ticket, that includes the lawn ticket plus a soda and hot dog. Parking is also "free" at Verizon because they already charged you for "parking" as part of the ticket price.

bmack86
07-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah, that's pretty awesome. Dinner, parking and a concert for 30 bucks. I'd do it.

faxman75
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
So, I just got an email from live nation and they listed the ZZ TOP / Aerosmith concert in the deal. However, I go to the site and I only see four packs available at that price. Am I missing something? I want one ticket for $30, that's it.

oops maybe it's because today is only Tuesday :nono

psychic friend
07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
wooooo

suprefan
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

luckyface
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Not really too much available worth obtaining in this new promotion, but I did grab a couple of Artie Lange tickets for the$29.99 deal. Not too bad of a deal! Not quick enough to grab DM tix in SD though.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I picked up de la soul tickets from the fillmore and they're these huge ugly thing. fuck you live nation, even your physical tickets look like shit

TallGuyCM
07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I picked up de la soul tickets from the fillmore and they're these huge ugly thing. fuck you live nation, even your physical tickets look like shit

Yeah, the stubs don't exactly fit in your wallet after you get into a show. And they wouldn't look good clumped together with other stubs in a frame the way that the Ticketmaster ones do.

TallGuyCM
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Livenation.com is super overloaded today, I've just been messing around on it for fun and everything takes forever.

JorgeC
07-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Livenation.com is super overloaded today, I've just been messing around on it for fun and everything takes forever.

that site is slow every day, but you're right, more so today.

shakermaker113
07-08-2009, 06:43 PM

for fun? what kind of fun is that?

suprefan
07-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Drunk ticket buying.

Ardentbiscuit
07-16-2009, 07:51 AM
So why don't the other promoters ever have any ticket specials?

I've been to so many events this year that were sparse to say the least.

Shows that would have been packed when the economy was good.

JorgeC
07-16-2009, 08:27 AM
if you're ever in the Claremont area, the record store there (Rhino) sometimes has free tickets with the purchase of an artist's CD. They used to give away tickets for El Rey (saw Dr Dog, St Vincent, Dan Aurbach) and Fonda (saw Tokyo Police Club, M83, Stereolab) for Goldenvoice shows. More recently they've been giving away tickets for the Glass House though, which (unfortunately?) leans to the emo/punk side. I did see Cut Copy, She Wants Revenge and Presets for free, but right now they have Emery and August Burns Red.

JorgeC
07-23-2009, 07:27 PM
http://lancemannion.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/topher.jpg

SYNERGY!!

LiveNation went from selling tix for $7.11 then to $5, now they're free. I seem to remember Tom Morello saying something about "race to the bottom". This company is quickly becoming the WalMart of the concert business, check it out

eat a Jack in the Box, get a FREE ticket (www.livenation.com/concertcombo)

hmmmm, the fine print said it was good for a free lawn ticket to San Manuel Amphitheatre (ex-Hyundai/Blockbuster) so nothing that would interest me at this point, but dayum...FREE?!? WTF??

shakermaker113
07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
when are they going to start packaging tickets in chocolate bars?

JorgeC
07-23-2009, 09:21 PM
or with factoids on the tops of cereal boxes!

johnnypolite
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Just bought two Depeche Mode tickets for $20. Hoooah!

scoop49er
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
got 3 tickets for 45.00 for a show in sacramento normally 150 for 3.. nice!

WhyTheLongFace
08-12-2009, 03:57 PM
How are you guys saving $100? That's more than service fees

suprefan
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Cause today its like $10 for lawn or $15 for cheap seats, thats why.

scoop49er
08-12-2009, 04:22 PM
no fees at all today and alot of reserved seats are going for 15.00..

WhyTheLongFace
08-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Ok just checked it, the best concert in my area is Art Laboe Live. I'll pass

JorgeC
08-12-2009, 08:45 PM

just talked to my cousin (think 22 y/o shaved head mexican who loves weed), guess what tix he was SO excited to buy cheap today...lolz.

wmgaretjax
08-12-2009, 08:55 PM

I could go see DL Hughley.

Sushov23
09-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I thought I would let LA people know. Grizzly Bear is going to be part of the wed Live Nation deals at midnight.

MuseRadio
09-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Also, the Mastodon show 11/19 at Palladium the face value of those tickets is $35 plus fees which prolly comes out to $45. You can buy 'em today for $30 total.

JorgeC
09-09-2009, 10:35 AM
a 2nd Mastodon date is being added on 11/20 (Friday) is anyone can't make it on a Thursday. Full price unfortunately.

With the $20 and $30 tiers being added, a lot more shows are available. Grizzly Bear for $20 if you haven't picked up your Palladium ticket. (oops, Sushov beat me to it above).

Other stuff of note, Peaches, Ladyhawke, and Mika (sorry, i'm so gay...).

JorgeC
09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
oh, here's a link

http://www.livenation.com/promotions?promoId=3&ticketTypeIds=123

LN socal venues are - Wiltern, Avalon, Palladium, Verizon Wireless (Irvine), House of Blues Anaheim and House of Blues Sunset Strip. Plenty of venues for non-cali peeps (oh, and SF too).

Westy
09-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Fuck!!! I bought Manics tickets like 3 days ago. I'd been waiting and waiting, and it looked like they were not going to do cheap tickets for that show. Should have waited a little longer I guess. Fuck!!!

SFChrissy
09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
WTF...I checked this out this morning...and the sale pertains only to certain shows not all of them...I attempted to buy a few different shows and they tacked on service fee's...bogus!!! Only 1 show that I had interest that was included in the sale was maxwell and none of the sale tickets were available meaning sold out...

Boourns
09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
So livenation is loading in a completely fucked up way in firefox today...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/livenation-fail.jpg

keep2thestreets
09-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Anyone know the Promo code for the Mastodon/Dethklok Friday show Presale ?

suprefan
09-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Anyone know the Promo code for the Mastodon/Dethklok Friday show Presale ?

No, but ill find out.

and Grizzly Bear for $20 = ace

TallGuyCM
09-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Wow, just checked for shits and giggles and pit and orchestra seats for Creed are $85?!?!? :nono :nono :nono

shakermaker113
09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
So livenation is loading in a completely fucked up way in firefox today...

that's likely just a connection problem. it failed to get the CSS file. I'm sure if you refreshed the page it would have looked fine.

suprefan
09-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, just checked for shits and giggles and pit and orchestra seats for Creed are $85?!?!? :nono :nono :nono

Scott Stapp needs new leather pants like anyone else does.

Boourns
09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
that's likely just a connection problem. it failed to get the CSS file. I'm sure if you refreshed the page it would have looked fine.

XqsCuB9LUeU

But seriously, it's still doing the same thing no matter how much I reload.

Ohhh, I see what it is. Must be one of those sites that is now automatically screwed if you are using adblock plus. Disabled it, reloaded it, and it loaded fine. Same thing happened with digg, which is what made me think of trying this.

Edit: found the offending filtered item.

shakermaker113
09-09-2009, 07:07 PM
sounds like a bug in adblock plus. it's not only blocking ads but some CSS files too. weird. you should report that to whoever creates adblock plus.

Boourns
09-09-2009, 07:08 PM
It's probably because the blocked CSS file is:
hxxp://static4.livenation.com/akamai/V2050/static/??global/css/livenation_bundle.css,layouts/site_layout_2/default/site_layout_2.css,modules/header/default/header.css,modules/change_location/default/change_location.css,modules/change_location/default/datepicker_jqui.css,modules/doubleclick/default/doubleclick.css,modules/footer/default/footer.css,modules/login/default/login.css

Boourns
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM
And damn, I really need to get one of these $20 Grizzly Bear tickets.

JorgeC
10-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Boourns,

Good thing you waited on the $20 Grizzly Bear tix. The next special that's going to happen on Livenation is going to be in conjunction with CITI card. Monday 10/12, there's a TON of shows that are being sold 2 for $10 (WTF!?!?!). Shows that peeps might be interested that I saw (also lots for the emo or metal enthusiast in your life...):

Wiltern:
Sounds
Bravery
The Used

Avalon:
AP Tour
Brazilian Girls
Forever the Sickest Kids

Palladium:
Brand New
Grizzly Bear
Slipknot
Dashboard Confessional
Dethlok/Mastodon
Hatebreed

suprefan
10-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Boourns,

Good thing you waited on the $20 Grizzly Bear tix. The next special that's going to happen on Livenation is going to be in conjunction with CITI card. Monday 10/12, there's a TON of shows that are being sold 2 for $10 (WTF!?!?!). Shows that peeps might be interested that I saw (also lots for the emo or metal enthusiast in your life...):

Wiltern:
Sounds
Bravery
The Used

Avalon:
AP Tour
Brazilian Girls
Forever the Sickest Kids

Palladium:
Brand New
Grizzly Bear
Slipknot
Dashboard Confessional
Dethlok/Mastodon
Hatebreed

So where is the deal?

MuseRadio
10-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Certain shows go on sale at 10am for this. Ones I've noticed are Mastodon 11/20 and Yo La Tengo at Avalon.

suprefan
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Hmm no wonder. Well, I wanna snag some Grizzly Bear ones.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Damn, i need to find someone with a Citi card...or is there something that can just universally be put in as the promo code?

JorgeC
10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
there WAS a universal code that I used to use for all the CITI deals and when it went to the payment screen it would allow me to pay with whatever card. Not this time though, i'm able to pull tickets, but it won't let me finish the transaction.

I went ahead and applied for a CITI card and got approved online, hopefully i get it in the mail soon enough for me to go to some of these shows. After fees, comes to $23 a pair ($11.50 each). Not bad for a $62.50 slipknot ticket.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
seriously, i've been putting off buying mastodon/dethklock because they're $35 before fees (most likely closer to $50 afterwards)

MuseRadio
10-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah the Mastodon show is a great deal. I got tix for the 11/19 show thru a $30 all inclusive promotion. This deal looks great, though I am prolly just gonna hit up one show.

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm not seeing any option to buy cheaper tickets for the Grizzly Bear show. Anyone else have any luck?

moviebruin
10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
yeah i would also like to get in on the grizz bear but dont see the option. I do see it for Moby though.

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Also I dont see the Mastadon show you guys are talking about. There is one in Detroit, but not in LA. Unless I am not looking in the right area.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-12-2009, 10:38 AM
it has the Citi logo on the page, but the drop menu to find the deal that i saw on the mastodon page is not there

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Also I dont see the Mastadon show you guys are talking about. There is one in Detroit, but not in LA. Unless I am not looking in the right area.

Dethklok is actually the headliner for most of the tour

http://www.livenation.com/artist/dethklok-tickets

JorgeC
10-12-2009, 10:41 AM

when you go to the "Buy Tickets" page, there is a drop down menu called "Select Your Promotion" that asks you for a password. You can plug in 412800 or your CITI card numbers to bring up the 2 for $10 tix.

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
That's odd that this show isnt listed on the ticket deals page though is what I was getting at. Also, who wants to offer up their promo code? Anyone? Anyone?

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 10:45 AM
when you go to the "Buy Tickets" page, there is a drop down menu called "Select Your Promotion" that asks you for a password. You can plug in 412800 or your CITI card numbers to bring up the 2 for $10 tix.

Thanks babe.

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Just changed the default location and it came up. Hooray.

WUDUP TRIPLE POOOOOOOOOOOOST

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Facebook is awesome. I asked if anyone had a Citi card and someone came through and bought me Mastodon tickets

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Still looking for any info on Grizz if you guys have it.

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Holy shit. Gwar in San Diego for 5 dollars.

Uhhhhhh, YES.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-12-2009, 11:24 AM
i have always wanted to see Gwar

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Dude. $5!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
my schedule is already so freaking hectic. i'm not sure how i'm going to explain the addition of even another concert to my calendar to my girlfriend

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
So having to pay with a Citi card is ri-goddamn-diculous. Off to facebook.

suprefan
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Hooray for having a citi card. But where is Grizzly Bear.

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I might need you to pick up extra tix if possible. Let me know if you can/are willing to do that.

amyzzz
10-12-2009, 11:58 AM
I have a citi card but none of these fucking shows. :thu Hurray me.

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Wanna buy me some tickets?

bmack86
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM
If anyone could get me a Grizzly Bear ticket, I'd be eternally grateful. I was hoping to take a special someone to this show with that ticket.

suprefan
10-12-2009, 02:07 PM
If anyone could get me a Grizzly Bear ticket, I'd be eternally grateful. I was hoping to take a special someone to this show with that ticket.

If they actually come up..

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Seriously. Are we 100% sure they were being included with the other deals today?

JorgeC
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I saw the "Citi® 2 Tix for $10" on Sunday night when I first saw deal. Either they ran out of them really fast or GB got pulled from the promo cuz I don't see it on there now. But, much like the "passport" promo, they only block a limited amount of tickets for these promos, once they're gone, it gets taken off the list.

It might show up on 10/14 Wednesday special if the do another 2for1 or a $10/$20/$30 deal. They still have 4 packs available, so it can't (?) be nearly sold out yet.

hawkingvsreeve
10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah, the Palladium seems to be bigger than the venue I would think they would play in the LA area. I'll keep some fingers crossed.

suprefan
10-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I saw the "Citi® 2 Tix for $10" on Sunday night when I first saw deal. Either they ran out of them really fast or GB got pulled from the promo cuz I don't see it on there now. But, much like the "passport" promo, they only block a limited amount of tickets for these promos, once they're gone, it gets taken off the list.

It might show up on 10/14 Wednesday special if the do another 2for1 or a $10/$20/$30 deal. They still have 4 packs available, so it can't (?) be nearly sold out yet.

It never showd up to begin with, so I think they might wait. Probably test out the deal today and if it works, weds has it.

JorgeC
10-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah, the Palladium seems to be bigger than the venue I would think they would play in the LA area. I'll keep some fingers crossed.

In terms of Live Nation controlled venues, the capacity limit is Avalon<Wiltern<Palladium, so it was either 2 nights at the Wiltern or 1 night at the Palladium since they sold out the Wiltern the last time they played.

suprefan
10-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah but it took up until a week before the show for it to sell out though.

betao
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
*BUMP*

I don't know if anyone else has noticed/mentioned, but it seems that TM could be taking some thought into what we have said.

After looking up some AC/DC tourdates (don't ask why, it's not for me), I came across this. I was just checking to see how much they were, and the page showed the grand total with fees included - kinda what I've been hoping they would do.

It showed this:

$104.40 ($89.50 ticket + $14.90 fees)

here's the link for it: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/070043087E5852CE?artistid=1170951&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=200

Not every show on TM appears like this, but I think its kinda cool that they now give you the grand total before hand.

Just thought I'd mention it. Maybe the rest of their shows are going to be like that?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Well, it's a start.

JorgeC
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
as of today, all House of Blues shows are sold exclusively on LN's website or through HOB.com. No more ticketmaster. I don't have any HOB shows coming up soon so I'm not sure if the total price will be higher or lower. i'll have to check, maybe NFG and Saves the Day...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
as of today, all House of Blues shows are sold exclusively on LN's website or through HOB.com. No more ticketmaster. I don't have any HOB shows coming up soon so I'm not sure if the total price will be higher or lower. i'll have to check, maybe NFG and Saves the Day...

i was looking up Between The Buried and Me tickets for HOB Sunset, and two tickets with a face value of $15 each came out to $50.60, so the bullshit fees are pretty standard.

Also, it still takes you to Ticketmaster for delivery methods

JorgeC
08-02-2010, 11:10 PM
$10 tickets have been sold on LN for amphitheatre shows (shitty Jonas Bros/Rihanna/Maroon 5 crap), but it looks like on Tuesday 8/3 they are doing some club shows too.

LIVE NATION $10 tickets (http://www.livenation.com/promo/deikzg?spotlight_ren_od=1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1)

Only thing I saw was Matt & Kim at HOB SD on 10/1. Hopefully some Wiltern or Palladium shows are added.

tessalasset
08-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Oh my god, Yonder Mountain String Band. I need to get tix to this for my dad's birthday and I've been putting it off til I can go to the venue and buy at the box office. I'm so glad I waited.

tessalasset
08-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Of course their ticketing system is down for maintenance right now. I'll try again later.

Boourns
08-03-2010, 01:55 AM
$10 tickets have been sold on LN for amphitheatre shows (shitty Jonas Bros/Rihanna/Maroon 5 crap), but it looks like on Tuesday 8/3 they are doing some club shows too.

LIVE NATION $10 tickets (http://www.livenation.com/promo/deikzg?spotlight_ren_od=1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1)

Only thing I saw was Matt & Kim at HOB SD on 10/1. Hopefully some Wiltern or Palladium shows are added.

Hmmm, do I get Creed tickets now or wait for them to drop down to $0 again?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Tessa, there are $10 tickets for Hanson in SD Sept 18

bmack86
08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Dude, Meat Loaf at the Gibson. That'd be hilarious.

Phantasma Del Mar
08-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Is it just today that they're doing the 10 dollar tickets?

JorgeC
08-03-2010, 10:44 AM
For these shows, it's today only. Probably get a different batch of shows next Tuesday depending on what the slowest selling shows are.

sbessiso
08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
my friend and i decided that goo goo dolls are totally worth $10. its a fun outdoor venue with lax security and those awesome rum runners/margaritas stands. very excited, i think we're gunna get sparklers too

faxman75
08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Not a single Arizona show. :(

JorgeC
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Today's $10 Tuesday tickets. Heart at the Gibson...

$10 LN Tuesdays (http://www.livenation.com/promo/deikzg?spotlight_ren_od=1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1)

bmack86
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Slayer and Megadeth in Chula Vista