PDA

View Full Version : study abroad Sussex, Brighton

zenidogx
05-30-2009, 02:29 PM
So, yeah, I'm going to study at the University of Sussex in Brighton this summer. I was wondering if anyone who's from the UK or who has been to the UK could tell me about things I should expect there. If there's anyone familiar with Brighton and that area, some general info would be nice. The program starts at the end of June and ends in late August. Afterwards, I plan to stay an extra week to check out Amsterdam and Paris.

As for shows, Of Montreal is playing London in July and I really want to go. Would an Of Montreal show sell out before the day of the concert?

tessalasset
05-30-2009, 02:39 PM
jealous

DRcube
05-30-2009, 07:33 PM
thats awesome, im probably gonna try to do that before i graduate..hopefully in the UK also

hawkingvsreeve
05-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Go see Michael Jackson.

TomAz
05-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Brighton is a shithole. but it's not that far from London so you'll be ok.

wmgaretjax
05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
brighton IS a fucking shithole.

zenidogx
05-30-2009, 11:12 PM
What makes Brighton a shithole?

I've heard the beaches are nice and the pubs are great. Beyond that, not much else, but at the same time nothing really negative.

And apparently Brighton has Gay Pride festivities over the summer. That should be entertaining.

OnlyNonStranger
05-30-2009, 11:35 PM
There is no such thing as a nice beach in England. Sorry.

zenidogx
05-30-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm not a beach man. I live in Orange County and haven't been to a beach in 3 years.
I'm just looking for some people's experiences on Brighton and London.

Also just found out The Thermals and Prefuse 73 each have dates in Brighton while I'm there. May consider going to at least one of those.

wmgaretjax
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
there is lots of good experimental music in the UK (brighton included). pick up a Wire and go to some shows that you wouldn't normally think to go to. take this new experience as an opportunity to open up your tastes...

zenidogx
05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Sweet.

clarky123
05-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Sweet.

On Brighton:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_london&query=detail&referral_id=emplist&interface=shepemp&event=311823

You should be able to buy your tix online using ticketfast method and simply print them out at home.
The venue is not huge so I would advise not leaving buying tix to the day before.

hendrixfan143
05-31-2009, 12:13 AM
nice. i plan to go to germany for a year the year after this one. for school . The only time im coming back is coachella weekend. should be some great life experience

zenidogx
05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_london&query=detail&referral_id=emplist&interface=shepemp&event=311823

You should be able to buy your tix online using ticketfast method and simply print them out at home.
The venue is not huge so I would advise not leaving buying tix to the day before.

Thanks. I still don't know when my classes are scheduled, but as soon as I find out I'll try and purchase tickets.

zenidogx
05-31-2009, 12:23 AM
nice. i plan to go to germany for a year the year after this one. for school . The only time im coming back is coachella weekend. should be some great life experience

whoa, that's serious Coachella dedication.

Astrid
05-31-2009, 01:03 AM

your going to fly back for the weekend to go to coachella?

thats nonsensical. unless youre rich, in which case...cheers?

Still-ill
05-31-2009, 01:06 AM
I haven't been to Brighton since I was like 4 years old, but I remember it vivdly. Now, considering I don't remember anything else from my years as a 4 year old, that says something about the place.

Aurgasm
05-31-2009, 06:31 AM
I've never understood why English speakers would "study abroad" in England. is there a specific program you're going to that isn't offered anywhere else in the world?

and yes, Brighton is a dreary shithole. Pack your rain jacket and and your depression meds.

TomAz
05-31-2009, 07:00 AM
I don't remember anything else from my years as a 4 year old

um, how many years were you a four year old?

shakermaker113
05-31-2009, 08:16 AM
I've never understood why English speakers would "study abroad" in England. is there a specific program you're going to that isn't offered anywhere else in the world?

it's much easier to find classes being offered in english there.

gaypalmsprings
05-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Don't bother taking a toothbrush.

shakermaker113
05-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Don't bother taking a toothbrush.

because england is where all stereotypes are actually true.

:nono

gaypalmsprings
05-31-2009, 08:30 AM
During the summer months, Southern Water, who own the network of Victorian sewers running under the town, take visitors a short distance into the Brighton underworld.

http://www.sussexhistory.com/images/Bton_Sewer.jpg

gaypalmsprings
05-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Brighton is well known for having a very substantial LGBT community, effectively making it the UK's 'gay capital' (much as San Francisco can be considered the same in the USA). The 2001 census revealed that Brighton and Hove had the highest proportion of same-sex households in the country at 1.29%: some 78,522 individuals said that they lived with a person of the same sex.

Brighton Pride is an event, and wider organisation, which promotes equality and diversity, and advances education to eliminate discrimination against the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community. The major event is an annual summer festival held in the first week of August.

zenidogx
05-31-2009, 08:40 AM

and yes, Brighton is a dreary shithole. Pack your rain jacket and and your depression meds.

low GPA. Sussex is my best option and only chance to go abroad. i always wanted to go to UK too.

shithole: noted. keep in mind, i'm in Merced 9 months of the year.

zenidogx
05-31-2009, 08:41 AM
http://www.sussexhistory.com/images/Bton_Sewer.jpg

i'm there!

hmm . . . i wonder if i could stick around after the program and live there as a chimney sweep.

Aurgasm
05-31-2009, 09:23 AM
it's much easier to find classes being offered in english there.

:nono

Aurgasm
05-31-2009, 09:32 AM
low GPA. Sussex is my best option and only chance to go abroad. i always wanted to go to UK too.

shithole: noted. keep in mind, i'm in Merced 9 months of the year.

never been to Merced... never even heard of it. What's it like? where is it?

zenidogx
05-31-2009, 09:53 AM
never been to Merced... never even heard of it. What's it like? where is it?

In the San Joaquin Valley. High poverty rate, high foreclosure rate, recovering from meth epidemic, a lot of churches.

It's a town for old people, really. Prop 8 passed there 70-30 (although Obama took the county). One bar with live music (John Vanderslice is the biggest name to drop by recently). Many people would consider Merced a shithole. I take that back, Merced is a shithole. The university (UC Merced) is very cool and makes living there not as bad.