PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better drummer....

karecares
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
boyfriend and I have a bet going. who would you consider a better drummer?

Keith Moon of the Who
VS.
Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band?

money is on this, i couldn't figure out how to set up a poll so we are just going to follow the replies.

I don't care if there are better people than these two, just compare them to each other. after several answers (and i win) you can hijack this thread all you want ;)

kreutz2112
05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Delete.

JustSteve
05-29-2009, 05:07 PM
no one karecares.

karecares
05-29-2009, 05:08 PM
it's worth a grand, help a woman out

suprefan
05-29-2009, 05:09 PM
boyfriend and I have a bet going. who would you consider a better drummer?

Keith Moon of the Who
VS.
Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band?

money is on this, i couldn't figure out how to set up a poll so we are just going to follow the replies.

I don't care if there are better people than these two, just compare them to each other. after several answers (and i win) you can hijack this thread all you want ;)

I thought this was going to be between 2 drummers that would make you think about the question, not laugh. But Keith Moon of course.

karecares
05-29-2009, 05:11 PM
my point exactly :)

suprefan
05-29-2009, 05:12 PM
You should dump the bf if he thinks Carter is a better drummer than a dead guy who people think is better than lots of living drummers.

rskapcat
05-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Carter is a great drummer. But Keith is a LEGENDARY drummer. There's no contest here. Why not Moon versus Bonham? Would be a more interesting (and fair!) debate.

Cheddar's Cousin
05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
NEIL PEART!

karecares
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
BF is a drummer and still holding by his claim.(why is beyond me, should've given up when i pulled the keith card) but decided he would let you guys decide :P little did he know you fuckers have such real musical opinions and taste..... 1 G's calling me

SoulDischarge
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Penny Rimbaud.

karecares
05-29-2009, 05:50 PM
there are many better drummers than carter (imo; but i give him credit for being talented)i but keith is who i pulled out, i also offered the hendrix drummer Mitch Mitchel and he disagreed.....

faxman75
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Easily Keith Moon.

seandlr
05-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Carter is a great drummer. But Keith is a LEGENDARY drummer. There's no contest here. Why not Moon versus Bonham? Would be a more interesting (and fair!) debate.

Exactly! Rskapcat, you're a cool girl.
And don't hate me for not sending you your mixes. I sent them out the other day but they were returned due to the new stamps or whatever so I should re-send them out soon :)

karecares
05-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Easily Keith Moon.

joel's vote please?

rskapcat
05-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Exactly! Rskapcat, you're a cool girl.
And don't hate me for not sending you your mixes. I sent them out the other day but they were returned due to the new stamps or whatever so I should re-send them out soon :)

Haha...no worries. I wondered about that, but I figured life happened. :)

JebusLives
05-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Who the fuck is Carter Beauford? And dont say the drummer from Dave Mathews. Talk to me like i'm not a 30-something housewife.

also: Danny Carey

canexplain
05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
well if i get a half vote more for what i think of how they were live, it is moon .... i only saw keith three times and carter many more times then that, but the energy of KM was beyond even words ... we were about the same age and that is some of it, but early on, it wasnt roger or pete you went to see, it was keith moon, to see what antics he might be up to, but also to see one of the premier drummers in the 60's... when i went to see Dave it never was to see Carter so to speak (yes i think there are/were better drummers but you put in that caviet) .... cr****

canexplain
05-29-2009, 06:21 PM
i love the internetz .... i had no clue but that doesnt change my vote ... cr****

Beauford explains his unusual playing style in his instructional video "Under The Table & Drumming", attributing his use of left-hand-lead on a right-handed kit to playing his own kit in front of a mirror as a child in an attempt to emulate his favorite drummers, like Buddy Rich. He unknowingly set up his drums in reverse of whichever performer and set that he had in mind, in an attempt to make the mirrored image of himself match that of the audience's perspective, as he had seen it on stage and TV. This helped him to become completely ambidextrous at a very early age, albeit by accident

SFChrissy
05-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Moon

Now that you got a G in your pocket thanks to us tell us where you picked up the BF!!!

karecares
05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Moon

Now that you got a G in your pocket thanks to us tell us where you picked up the BF!!!

at a black crowes show, then met again randomly at an in flames/gojira show a few months later. except for this we click ;)

karecares
05-29-2009, 06:46 PM
well if i get a half vote more for what i think of how they were live, it is moon .... i only saw keith three times and carter many more times then that, but the energy of KM was beyond even words ... we were about the same age and that is some of it, but early on, it wasnt roger or pete you went to see, it was keith moon, to see what antics he might be up to, but also to see one of the premier drummers in the 60's... when i went to see Dave it never was to see Carter so to speak (yes i think there are/were better drummers but you put in that caviet) .... cr****

i love the internetz .... i had no clue but that doesnt change my vote ... cr****

Beauford explains his unusual playing style in his instructional video "Under The Table & Drumming", attributing his use of left-hand-lead on a right-handed kit to playing his own kit in front of a mirror as a child in an attempt to emulate his favorite drummers, like Buddy Rich. He unknowingly set up his drums in reverse of whichever performer and set that he had in mind, in an attempt to make the mirrored image of himself match that of the audience's perspective, as he had seen it on stage and TV. This helped him to become completely ambidextrous at a very early age, albeit by accident

THE BF would like to reply (tear him apart)

sorry carter will kill moon in a matter of technical ability sorry dude

canexplain
05-29-2009, 06:55 PM
this is not a pissing contest, no you are right .. i was going more for who was the better dummer as far as skill, presense, meant the most to a band, just life gal.... so as far as tech, yea carter .... cr***

stuporfly
05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
I find Beauford's drumming cold and mathematical and detached. Moon is (was) unhinged, incendiary. Beauford reminds me of Steve Vai, a technically proficient musician without an ounce of soul. I'd much rather listen to music on the edge of collapse rather than the edge of academia. Rock & roll is for fucking. I can't imagine fucking to the Dave Matthews Band, and a lot of that is Beauford's fault. Moon is for fucking: Hair pulling, nails scratching skin as they run along the spine.

canexplain
05-29-2009, 07:01 PM
I find Beauford's drumming cold and mathematical and detached. Moon is (was) unhinged, incendiary. Beauford reminds me of Steve Vai, a technically proficient musician without an ounce of soul. I'd much rather listen to music on the edge of collapse rather than the edge of academia. Rock & roll is for fucking. I can't imagine fucking to the Dave Matthews Band, and a lot of that is Beauford's fault. Moon is for fucking: Hair pulling, nails scratching skin as they run along the spine.

wow i wish i could have said it that way :) cr****

karecares
05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
btw we were looking up vai before as he was trying to prove his point and frankly stupor you just made his argument against mine. coming from 2 different schools of thought.

Alchemy
05-29-2009, 07:15 PM
The only drummers to ever catch my attention were Bonham, Moon, and the dude from Deerhoof... and I'm the resident Dave Matthews Band fan of the board.

frazzles
05-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Travis Barker.

Westy
05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Igor Cavalera

Mr. Dylanja
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
DANNY CAREY
http://www.paiste.com/artists/images/special/carey_d_720-500.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Danny_Carey_Kit.jpg/800px-Danny_Carey_Kit.jpg

karecares
05-29-2009, 07:39 PM
holy drum kit!

gaypalmsprings
05-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Karen Carpenter

http://www.premierdrumgirl.com/images/kdrums.jpg

-PAy6Ab3CcQ

bleep
05-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Stephen Morris

hawkingvsreeve
05-29-2009, 08:06 PM
This isn't a good group of people to poll from. Most do not listen to both bands and will flat out dismiss anything Dave Matthews Band related outright. Also I dont think many here know/understand what is really going on behind the drumkit. Playing Rock Band doesn't count.

"Rock and roll is for fucking" is not an acceptable answer either, and you play drums. You can do better than that.

As I have not heard a lot of Moon I cant accurately compare the two, but they aren't really comparable because they are so stylistically different. I can say that there is an ungodly amount of talent in both men and both should be respected for what they do/did.

TomAz
05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Brandon makes excellent points. as he always does.

but keith moon. he made shit up where he saw shit needed to be made up and it was fucking brilliant. i mean seriously. your bf is a drummer and so he's going to focus on technical shit "how well does he execute blah blah blah". fuck that. moon innovated. he made things new. he made things his own. and it was new and it sounded so fucking good.

hawkingvsreeve
05-29-2009, 09:50 PM
While that may be true, it is slightly unfair to compare them in that way because Moon came 25+ years before Carter. This just aint gonna work.

All That I Am
05-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok i'm not even going to answer the question as much as i'm going to go off on a rant about keith moon.
The man was insane, i can tell by his drumming. You see music can be broken down into mathematic equations, hi hat on every second note snare on the fourth. But the man's drumming was just irrational. If you look at drum tabs of Who songs they at first glance appear to be nonsense with some one accellerating bass drum onto infinity. But slowly patterns emmerge and you say to yourself that is so simple its genius.

All That I Am
05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
The Who > DMB

hawkingvsreeve
05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Ok i'm not even going to answer the question as much as i'm going to go off on a rant about keith moon.
The man was insane, i can tell by his drumming. You see music can be broken down into mathematic equations, hi hat on every second note snare on the fourth. But the man's drumming was just irrational. If you look at drum tabs of Who songs they at first glance appear to be nonsense with some one accellerating bass drum onto infinity. But slowly patterns emmerge and you say to yourself that is so simple its genius.

Also, drugs.

hawkingvsreeve
05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
The Who > DMB

Nobody asked that.

You see why this sampling pool is worthless?

boarderwoozel3
05-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Of course D would have called it already but the correct answer is Danny Carey.

TomAz
05-29-2009, 09:59 PM
for the record I did not compare. I just stated my love for moon.

however i would like to hear the carey supporters speak intelligently and tell me why he is better than keith moon. Yes I am familiar with Tool, you don't need to tell me about the ability to keep 13/7 time or whatever. I'm saying why is that better than moon?

hawkingvsreeve
05-29-2009, 10:03 PM
While closer to Moon than Carter is, I still think it's unrealistic to pit Carey against Moon.

Pixiessp
05-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Carl Palmer

Terry Bozzio

John Bonham

Dave Weckl

TomAz
05-29-2009, 10:09 PM
While closer to Moon than Carter is, I still think it's unrealistic to pit Carey against Moon.

why?

obzen
05-29-2009, 10:10 PM
DANNY CAREY
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Danny_Carey_Kit.jpg/800px-Danny_Carey_Kit.jpg

^yawn,i love Tool but thats just too predictable and not accurate,tabla drums and pre-programmed simmons pads may look intricate but they dont make you any better(its okay D, i used to think the same thing about Danny too-when i was like 19:thu)

as for whos the best...

ill answer when im interested...tomorrow...perhaps:cool:
good night.

Pixiessp
05-29-2009, 10:11 PM
oh.....my answer is Moon. :)

TomAz
05-29-2009, 10:12 PM
thank you for your thoughtful contrubution to the discussion. sleep well.

edit dammit that was for obzen not pixie.

Pixiessp
05-29-2009, 10:13 PM
I will sleep well also.

obzen
05-29-2009, 10:14 PM
:thu
Sleep!

JebusLives
05-29-2009, 10:17 PM
for the record I did not compare. I just stated my love for moon.

however i would like to hear the carey supporters speak intelligently and tell me why he is better than keith moon. Yes I am familiar with Tool, you don't need to tell me about the ability to keep 13/7 time or whatever. I'm saying why is that better than moon?

Sheer endurance, ability to hold a tempo perfectly over 12-minute stretches, soulfullness matched by technical aptitude, while playing music that is frankly far more complex that these other guys have to deal with. There are more technical drummers out there, but Danny is the full meal deal.

disclaimer: Not a drummer, but am a musician and have worked with many.

TomAz
05-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I notice neither the word 'innovation' nor 'creativity' there. Danny does his job, does his job well, it's a hard job, and he does it. But does Maynard ever change something because Danny tried something new and it improved the song? I'm asking.

hawkingvsreeve
05-29-2009, 10:34 PM
why?

I guess for me it just comes down to the basis we are using to compare these people. Speed? Influence? Innovation? Technicality? Endurance? Musicality?

I dont think everyone falls into the same categories with each other and this is mainly due to genre of music. Every genre demands something different. Would you pit jazz drummers against metal drummers? Probably not. As someone who has played drums for a good deal of time I respect all of them and I know how difficult it is to play what they play, but that doesn't mean that one is better than another. What about Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones) or Ringo Starr or Clem Burke (Blondie)? While they didnt play they flashiest stuff out there, they could compete in the musicality and influence and technicality categories as much as the others. There is a difference, a very big one mind you, between playing the drums balls out for speed and flash and being someone who is robot like in accuracy for timing (Watts). There is a difference between playing for style and playing along with the song, and playing what the song calls for (Ringo). A recent drummer who I think absolutely dominates in that area (playing what the song calls for) is John Covertino from Calexico. The guy has such amazing touch, and I absolutely love the sound he gets from his drums, both recorded and live. Someone like Carter marries technicality/musicality and speed really well, and while I am not saying he is better than Moon, he really is something special and is a lot of fun to watch.

gaypalmsprings
05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.spacekadet.org/pictures/sxsw2005/Images/12.jpg

Mr.Nipples
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
i hope his dick is mic'd?

hawkingvsreeve
05-29-2009, 11:07 PM
See, that guy has really bad technique. That's something we could compare.

Mr.Nipples
05-29-2009, 11:11 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sa0C5Uxpd3c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sa0C5Uxpd3c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

greghead
05-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Moon.

Though Neil Peart is probably the best alive. Dude from Mastodon is no slouch.

EDIT: Shit, Nipples, I didn't see that before I posted. Good call on the vid

boarderwoozel3
05-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Damn, Nipples, good call. Listen to that bass! I'm impressed. Fuck it, all of them are on point.

But the drum solo. WWWTTTFFF!!!!

stuporfly
05-30-2009, 05:41 AM
BF is a drummer and still holding by his claim.(why is beyond me, should've given up when i pulled the keith card) but decided he would let you guys decide :P little did he know you fuckers have such real musical opinions and taste..... 1 G's calling me

I'm a drummer, too. Your boyfriend should give it up and just masturbate a lot. Because that's all Carter Beauford is doing.

JebusLives
05-30-2009, 08:31 AM
I notice neither the word 'innovation' nor 'creativity' there. Danny does his job, does his job well, it's a hard job, and he does it. But does Maynard ever change something because Danny tried something new and it improved the song? I'm asking.

Maynard doesn't write the music, the whole band does. Danny's parts are his own, and I'd say he has a pretty unique sound. You disagree?

obzen
05-30-2009, 08:35 AM
okay,Moon is the better sticksman between the first two initially mentioned in the op but here are a list of the best drummers to ever bang them skins:

Tomas Haake
Danny Carey
Neil Peart
Abe Cunningham
Gene Hoglan/Richard Christy
Stewart Copeland
Gene Krupa

JebusLives
05-30-2009, 08:37 AM
bf9VSMqSRsc

stuporfly
05-30-2009, 09:28 AM
"Rock and roll is for fucking" is not an acceptable answer either, and you play drums. You can do better than that.

You're probably right. I was partly being glib and partly on my way to Brooklyn to see someone special.

I stand by my other points, however. I tend to favor Moon's style of drumming which seems to come from the heart and loins, whereas Beauford's strikes me as coming from the head. I know it's dumb and simplistic, but then so am I.

I'm self-taught as a drummer, picking it up from feeling out the rhythms and soaking up as much as I could from watching and listening to those who moved me in some significant way. Guy like Moon took what I felt like I was shooting for in my mother's attic at the age of 14 to dizzying heights. I love him for his glorious excess, though not the sort that killed him. Moon made it look fun, sound like a jet engine and feel like...well, like fucking. And I don't get any of that from guys like Beauford. I don't mean it to be a knock, however it might have sounded coming from a sweltering subway platform.

As I have not heard a lot of Moon I cant accurately compare the two, but they aren't really comparable because they are so stylistically different. I can say that there is an ungodly amount of talent in both men and both should be respected for what they do/did.

Agreed on all counts. Beauford is the right guy for what the Dave Matthews Band is doing, as Moon was for the Who. For that matter, Ringo Starr has always gotten a lot of flak, but no one else was more right for the Beatles.I won't question the former's proficiency, which is light years ahead of my own.

I greatly admire ?uestlove, Reni, Mitch Mitchell,Topper Headon, Tony Allen, John "Jabo" Starks, Clyde Stubblefield (all of whom I've been able to at best marginally emulate by way of outright theft)and Elvin Jones (no chance - jazz has always eluded me, and this guy was an absolute monster.)

stinkbutt
05-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Keith Moon by a mile

here is a guy I used to know:

ETy7R3vpaLc&feature=channel_page

suprefan
05-30-2009, 12:25 PM
DANNY CAREY

no,

Josh Freese

http://dietrichthrall.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/josh-freese.jpg

@ 2:13

Daugq4c55h8

obzen
05-30-2009, 12:39 PM
-ahem-

Tomas Haake
Danny Carey
Neil Peart
Abe Cunningham
Gene Hoglan/Richard Christy
Stewart Copeland
Gene Krupa

obzen
05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ap7Z5S6yTZM&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ap7Z5S6yTZM&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rage patton
05-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Could not have put this better myself.

Keith Moon.

Cheddar's Cousin
05-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Brandon makes excellent points. as he always does.

but keith moon. he made shit up where he saw shit needed to be made up and it was fucking brilliant. i mean seriously. your bf is a drummer and so he's going to focus on technical shit "how well does he execute blah blah blah". fuck that. moon innovated. he made things new. he made things his own. and it was new and it sounded so fucking good.

And he did it all on animal tranquilizers!

I offer up Slim Jim Phantom!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e371/atommaximus/slim_jim_phantom.jpg

nahuatldream
05-31-2009, 11:29 AM
NEIL PEART!

EL2Nlpsw0qQ

stuporfly
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Could not have put this better myself.

Keith Moon.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gifhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gifhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gifhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gifhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gif
http://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gifhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gifhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gifhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gifhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2rdxg1t.gif

Mr.Nipples
05-31-2009, 01:31 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_BmeBfV-O4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_BmeBfV-O4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

humanoid
05-31-2009, 01:32 PM
with all that talent in the Who, too bad they never found a decent singer!

justinaqui
05-31-2009, 02:17 PM
I like the guy that's playing with the Mars Volta now. I don't know enough about drumming to know if he's technically good, but he's got some fast hands for sure and he's always smiling while he's playing like it doesn't take any effort.

BeHereNOW
08-21-2009, 08:17 AM
I'd much rather listen to music on the edge of collapse rather than the edge of academia. Rock & roll is for fucking.

my kind of guy

hey karen,
what ever happened to the G? :2c

karecares
08-23-2009, 06:08 PM
if by G you mean the guy then he's still around; drummer preferences are his biggest fault (j/k but srsly very compatible) moving out to LA in fall/winter :D

Alligator Bogaloo
08-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Some of my favorites:
John Bonham
Keith Moon
Charlie Watts
Stephen Morris
Topper Headon
Ginger Baker
Al Jackson Jr.

And you can't forget the jazz drummers...
Art Blakey
Max Roach
Jack DeJohnette
Buddy Rich
Elvin Jones
Tony Williams
Roy Haynes
Billy Cobham
Joe Morello
Kenny Clarke

hawkingvsreeve
08-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Oh hey, the "look at us blowhards not knowing what the fuck we are talking about" thread. Oh, the memories.

RotationSlimWang
08-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Actually DMB's drummer is really, really good. Playing Moon's stuff has always been weird for me. It almost seems to have no reason to it, but somehow it works. He was definitely unique. From a technical standpoint you might actually find the DMB guy is better.

Neil owns all though. There's a reason they call him The Master.

SoulDischarge
08-24-2009, 01:30 AM
No love for Jaki Leibezeit around here.

HkmltBJwcm4

49PvnYCKZkM

CuLHUlrH56s

Boourns
08-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Orri Páll Dýrason

Tylerdurden31
08-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Brandon won't like me for this one but...

Damon Che
cJG2hd8p1pw

he'll probably like me for this though

Joe Easley
692bcVj1g1A

and he'll be indifferent about this
Zach Barocas (Jawbox)
E0qWn69lRaM

TomAz
08-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Playing Moon's stuff has always been weird for me. It almost seems to have no reason to it, but somehow it works. He was definitely unique. From a technical standpoint you might actually find the DMB guy is better.

Neil owns all though. There's a reason they call him The Master.

This is an accurate take on Moon.

Peart may be a great drummer, I can't tell, because the band he plays in is so ridiculously stupid.

RotationSlimWang
08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I never really liked Rush until my roommates downloaded all of Moving Pictures on Rock Band. They're by far the most fun shit to play in the whole game, and some great tunes as well.