PDA

View Full Version : New Sigur Rós Album Near Completion

iv3rdawG
05-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Sigur Rós have certainly been keeping busy lately. in addition to the riceboy sleeps album, jónsi’s solo album and kjartan’s ondine soundtrack, sigur rós have been at work in their sundlaugin studio in álafoss the past few weeks recording a full length album, which is now nearing completion. orri told morgunblađiđ newspaper today that the recordings have been going very well and that the album is taking form as a slower and more ambient record than međ suđ í eyrum viđ spilum endalaust and takk…. he also describes the music as melodic but much less noisy and more “out there” than previous albums. the album does not have a release date set but is expected to be released sometime next year.

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/news/?p=1313

Yeah!

indietron
05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
AWESOME!!

hawkingvsreeve
05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Too soon.

Just me?

Hopeless Semantic
05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Too soon.

Just me?

A concern I have as well...

BlackSwan
05-28-2009, 03:34 PM
ahahahah...

"slower and more ambient"

"more “out there” than previous albums"

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Too soon.

Just me?

would you say this about Bjork or Radiohead?

Alchemy
05-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I wonder what they mean by more "ambient." Like, will it be similar to earlier work and ( ), or is this a different kind of ambient.

wmgaretjax
05-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Less Disney arrangements please.

hawkingvsreeve
05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
would you say this about Bjork or Radiohead?

Radiohead, yes. I could use a little breathing room between In Rainbows and then next one.

Bjork, not as much. Next year will be 3 years since Volta, and I see that as a good time frame for her. Homogenic to Vespertine was 4 years, Vespertine to Medulla 3, Medulla to Volta 3. So I would say we are about due.

luckyface
05-28-2009, 07:33 PM
This sounds promising. Redemption for their last album, hopefully!

Alchemy
05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Maaaaaaaan, I thought the last album was pretty awesome. Not as good as the three before it, but it was still an awesome album.

hawkingvsreeve
05-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I enjoyed it quite a bit, and yes while that one track was a little Disney, I was still blown away when listening on a good set of speakers.

rage patton
05-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Festival is a fucking incredible song. Best song of the night when I saw them last year.

Cookieman908
05-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Too soon.

Just me?

If it came out this year I would agree but my guess is this will be out in 2010.

So 2008 to 2010 from one album to another is standard I would say

TickleMeElmo
05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
So let's say the play Coachella next year *crossing fingers*...

Subheadliner or third line?

indietron
05-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Sub. Lets not get our hopes up too soon though

rage patton
05-29-2009, 11:30 AM
If Sigur Ros play Coachella next year, they would almost certainly be the main subheadliner for that day. Possibly billed 3rd for the day, but I highky doubt it. There is no way Sigur Ros would be billed any lower than that though.

summerkid
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
If Sigur Ros play Coachella next year, they would almost certainly be the main subheadliner for that day. Possibly billed 3rd for the day, but I highky doubt it. There is no way Sigur Ros would be billed any lower than that though.

i agree at the lowest billed third like they were in 2006 but im pretty sure they've gotten big enough to be billed second this go around.

iv3rdawG
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Sigur Rós will be playing a short set for the dalai lama at his public talk in laugardalshöllin arena in reykjavík, tuesday june 2nd. sigur rós will be joined by odin’s raven magic collaborators steindór andersen, hilmar örn hilmarsson, maría huld markan and páll from húsafell. the set will be comprised of parts from odin’s raven magic as well as ‘rímur’ chanting by steindór. the band will be performing without jónsi as he is currently in london working on his solo album. in an interview in today’s morgunblađiđ newspaper, steindór says the group was honoured to have been asked to perform for the dalai lama and view their contribution more as a tribute to the spiritual leader than as a concert for the guests. the dalai lama event is sold out.

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/news/?p=1315

fikus222
06-27-2009, 11:43 AM
New email from Sigur Ros:

To mark the 10th anniversary of the Icelandic release of their
breakthrough album 'Agaetis Byrjun', Sigur Ros have made available
two exclusive live performances from the original launch party
concert at the Icelandic Opera House on the night of June 10, 1999 -
back when few people outside Reykjavik hadn't the foggiest clue who
they were.

Watch it here http://vimeo.com/4608579

'Nyja Lagid' video - filmed originally for Icelandic TV and unseen
for years, this shows the boys when they really were still boys,
performing a song that never made it onto Agaetis Byrjun (or any
subsequent album) and disappeared from their set-list shortly after
this date. The film also records the last show by original drummer
Gusti. The audio of this live recording was featured on Sigur Ros's
first ex-Iceland release, the 'Svefn-G-Englar' EP.

Download 'Hafssol' here:

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/band/disco/agaetis.php

'Hafssol' audio - a fascinatingly transitional rendition of the
seminal 'Hafssol' (later 'Hafsol'), which has been one of the true
survivors in the band's live show, having appeared in almost
unrecognisably nebulous form on their debut album 'Von', and then
gone through endless transmogrification year by year until its
arrival on 2007's 'Hvarf/Heim' double pack. (If you follow the link
above you can sign up to download the song.)

Hope you enjoy them both. They'll be further celebrations to mark the
10th anniversary of the release of 'Agaetis Byrjun' outside Iceland in
due course, but we will of course let you know.

TommyboyUNM
06-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Too soon.

Just me?

I'm like a month late on this, but if it's a good album then I don't think it can be too soon.

suprefan
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
uh oh

http://revivl.com/news/artist-news/bummer-sigur-ros-on-indefinite-hiatus/

Wow, this is not the kind of news I wanted to wake up and post. One of our favorite bands
Sigur Rós is now on indefinite hiatus. Usually when you see indefinite hiatus you can translate that into broke up but with a little wiggle room just in case something changes. Another one of our favorite bands, At The Drive-In, is about 10 years in into theirs right now. What makes this so weird is that the band had posted that the new record was almost done.

sigur rós have been at work in their sundlaugin studio in álafoss the past few weeks recording a full length album, which is now nearing completion. orri told morgunblađiđ newspaper today that the recordings have been going very well and that the album is taking form as a slower and more ambient record than međ suđ í eyrum viđ spilum endalaust and takk

According to Paste, Frontman Jónsi Birgisson recently told Spinner, “We haven’t got another [Sigur Rós] album ready. It was just a rumor. We started to record something, but then we chucked it all away. So I think we are going to have to start it all again.”

So now that the band has some free time, the question now is how to fill it. Easy, make some babies, duh! For vocalist Jonsi, his baby is a new solo project slated to come out this spring. Check out the track below from his upcoming solo album.

SoulDischarge
01-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Good thing I caught---oh wait, I didn't. Fuck.

wmgaretjax
01-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Serious bummer. All the more incentive to catch Jonsi on the tour...

TallGuyCM
01-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Yep, Jonsi's a must-see on Sunday at Coachella.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-30-2010, 10:55 PM
4 times, I saw them 4 times. Thank god I did.

seandigi
01-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Fuck... I never caught them live. This is a terrible way to start my Sunday morning. Off to the official "I'm Stoned" thread to smoke away my sorrow's.

humanoid
01-31-2010, 08:58 AM
4 times, I saw them 4 times. Thank god I did.

and we'll always have 2001!

TallGuyCM
01-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Kicking myself for missing them at the Greek in '08.

SoulDischarge
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Yep, Jonsi's a must-see on Sunday at Coachella.

Fucking everything's a must see on Sunday. Why can't they move some of that shit to the wasteland that is Saturday.

Alchemy
01-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Glad I saw them at Coachella, but I would really have loved to see them at their own concert... Anyway, I will be catching Jonsi at Coachella.

crazzz2007
01-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Fucking everything's a must see on Sunday. Why can't they move some of that shit to the wasteland that is Saturday.

b/c saturday is get-fucked-up-beyond-belief day, duh. no reason to have actual good bands.

TallGuyCM
01-31-2010, 11:46 AM
b/c saturday is get-fucked-up-beyond-belief day, duh. no reason to have actual good bands.

The man has a point.

betao
01-31-2010, 11:55 AM

I would really like for this to happen.

bmack86
01-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Glad I saw the Hollywood Bowl show.

TallGuyCM
02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Jonsi tour dates, in case it gets buried in the Upcoming Shows thread:

april 6 vancouver, canada vogue theatre
april 7 vancouver, canada vogue theatre
april 9 seattle, wa the showbox sodo
april 10 seattle, wa the showbox sodo
april 13 portland, or roseland theatre
april 15 berkeley, ca zellerbach auditorium
april 16 san francisco, ca palace of fine arts
april 18 indio, ca coachella
april 21 denver, co paramount theatre
april 22 lawrence, ks liberty hall
april 24 minneapolis, mn pantages theatre
april 25 minneapolis, mn pantages theatre
april 26 milwaukee, wi the pabst theatre
april 27 chicago, il vic theatre
april 28 chicago, il vic theatre
april 30 toronto, canada sound academy
may 1 toronto, canada sound academy
may 2 montreal, canada metropolis
may 3 philadelphia, pa electric factory
may 5 boston, ma house of blues
may 6 boston, ma house of blues
may 8 new york, ny terminal 5
may 9 new york, ny terminal 5

betao
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
wow, seriously? No DC date AGAIN? Sigur Ros skipped DC on their last tour too.

:(

rage patton
02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Two dates in Vancouver? Sigur Ros only did one in Vancouver on their last tour and venue they played was barely bigger than the venue Jonsi is playing. With that being said... Sigur Ros sold out their Vancouver show in about 10 minutes. I was really surprised a second show wasn't added.

sbessiso
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
lol no FL

seandigi
02-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Nothing in AZ....

BlackSwan
02-01-2010, 11:58 PM
The album version "Go Do" was on BBC Radio a little while ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qcphz. I like how this album is sounding... it's a shame the SF and Berkeley shows conflict with Coachella.

suprefan
02-02-2010, 06:32 AM
lol no FL

Icelandic people dont like warm weather.

unknown
02-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Totally. That's why he's doing Coachella.

betao
02-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Totally. That's why he's doing Coachella.

hahahahaha

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Jonsi tour dates, in case it gets buried in the Upcoming Shows thread:

april 6 vancouver, canada vogue theatre
april 7 vancouver, canada vogue theatre
april 9 seattle, wa the showbox sodo
april 10 seattle, wa the showbox sodo
april 13 portland, or roseland theatre
april 15 berkeley, ca zellerbach auditorium
april 16 san francisco, ca palace of fine arts
april 18 indio, ca coachella
april 21 denver, co paramount theatre
april 22 lawrence, ks liberty hall
april 24 minneapolis, mn pantages theatre
april 25 minneapolis, mn pantages theatre
april 26 milwaukee, wi the pabst theatre
april 27 chicago, il vic theatre
april 28 chicago, il vic theatre
april 30 toronto, canada sound academy
may 1 toronto, canada sound academy
may 2 montreal, canada metropolis
may 3 philadelphia, pa electric factory
may 5 boston, ma house of blues
may 6 boston, ma house of blues
may 8 new york, ny terminal 5
may 9 new york, ny terminal 5

I am trying to look at ways to make sure I see this show but all options involve either shelling out a shit load of MONEY to fly to a different city before or after Coachella. Or trying to find a red eye after the Berekely show and still make it in time to check into my hotel on April 15th.

BlackSwan
02-03-2010, 06:47 AM
I have the same dilemma, but with Jonsi even lower on the poster now, do you really think he will play late enough to conflict with Yorke or Gorillaz?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2010, 06:49 AM
I have dilemma, but with Jonsi even lower on the poster now, do you really think he will play late enough to conflict with Yorke or Gorillaz?

I don't think he will conflict with Yorke but I have a feeling he will with the Gorillaz. Unless they end at 11p and Jonsi starts at 11p in one of the tents. But then you'll probably have a Jonsi/Orbital conflict. Which is fine with me because I will pick Jonsi in a heart beat.

I'm more hoping of a Jonsi/Pavment conflict. I can always see Pavement here.

Seriously though, 2 fucking days in the Bay Area and they conflict with the Coachella dates and Migration.

suprefan
02-03-2010, 06:50 AM
I think with the stage set up it might go in Mojave or Gobi.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2010, 06:51 AM
I think with the stage set up it might go in Mojave or Gobi.

Exactly. The venue he is playing here in SF only hold 950 people.

BlackSwan
02-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Why do you think they will have him play so late?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Why do you think they will have him play so late?

maybe because his set up will take a while? That is my guess. That and so he doesn't conflict with the headliner.

BlackSwan
02-03-2010, 07:00 AM
I don't think his stage set up is going to be elaborate as it may sound... It's not like he's bringing a pyrimid of light or something. My bet/hope is for a sunset-ish set. If Gorillaz/Yorke/Orbital/Jonsi conflict, I will be enraged. If Jonsi conflicted with Yorke on the mainstage, I might actually pick Jonsi, especially if the album is as good as the first two songs I've heard.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2010, 07:08 AM
I don't think his stage set up is going to be elaborate as it may sound... It's not like he's bringing a pyrimid of light or something. My bet/hope is for a sunset-ish set. If Gorillaz/Yorke/Orbital/Jonsi conflict, I will be enraged. If Jonsi conflicted with Yorke on the mainstage, I might actually pick Jonsi, especially if the album is as good as the first two songs I've heard.

ugh....please Jonsi/Pavement Conflict.

betao
02-03-2010, 07:18 AM
but all options involve either shelling out a shit load of music to fly to a different city before or after Coachella.

Whoa there - you can now pay for flights with music?

Sign me the hell up!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Whoa there - you can now pay for flights with music?

Sign me the hell up!

hahahaha I wish. Or maybe a jaunty tune?