PDA

View Full Version : WTF California Redux (Et Tu Arnold?)

TheWatcher
05-26-2009, 11:52 PM
People are debating Prop 8. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the governator is talking about Dickenesque cuts:

Billions in new cuts loom for California — including eliminating welfare and closing most state parks

By Karen de Sá

Mercury News
Posted: 05/26/2009 07:19:35 PM PDT
Updated: 05/26/2009 10:27:40 PM PDT

Faced with a ballooning deficit and a clear signal that voters won't pay more to fix it, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger released a budget plan Tuesday that would eliminate welfare, drop 1 million poor children from health insurance, cut off new grants for college students and shut down 80 percent of state parks.

In a state that long has prided itself on its social safety net, it could well go down in history as the most drastic reduction in social programs ever. And billions in further cuts will be unveiled later this week.

The governor's proposal to whack an additional $5.5 billion from state programs stunned even longtime Capitol-watchers with its blunt force. Ending cash assistance for 1.3 million impoverished state residents, for example, would make California the only state with no welfare program.

"Every single first-world nation has a safety net program for children," said Will Lightbourne, Santa Clara County's social services director. "This would return us to the era of Dickens — you'd have to go back to the 19th century to find a comparable proposal."

The governor's office reiterated that the cuts were painful but unavoidable, with the proposed budget for the 2009-10 fiscal year already outdated before lawmakers even begin debate. Schwarzenegger's finance team now says the deficit will grow to $24.3 billion by July 1, up from the previous $21.3 billion projected shortfall.

"The scope and the severity of
Advertisement
this recession have forced us to put options on the table that would have been unthinkable just a few short months ago," said H.D. Palmer, the state's deputy director of finance.

Schwarzenegger had warned before last week's special election that if voters did not approve a host of tax and budget-reform measures, stunning cuts to social services, education and other vital state programs would be necessary.

The deepest cuts

So, in the wake of the resounding "no" that came from a disillusioned electorate, he has held true to his promise and then some:

# The budget proposal would eliminate vast swaths of programs, including CalWORKs — the welfare program serving more than 521,000 families who now receive $526 average monthly grants — and Healthy Families, which subsidizes health care for low-income children whose families don't qualify for Medi-Cal. Those cuts would also cost the state billions in federal matching funds.

# Medi-Cal coverage for dialysis and for breast and cervical cancer treatment for those over age 65 would be cut. Undocumented immigrants would lose nonemergency health care.

# In the prisons, rehabilitation, education and vocational programs would be hacked. So would the sentences of nonviolent, non-serious offenders, who would go free a year early.

# More than 200,000 college-bound students would lose some or all of their tuition assistance under the Cal Grant program. New grants for students to attend college would be eliminated, and existing grants would be reduced. All of that would come on top of $335 million in cuts for the University of California and California State University systems — which already have seen $415 million in cuts this year, forcing student fee increases.

# Surprisingly spared the ax — so far, anyway — were the state's battered K-12 schools. Though they represent California's single biggest budget expense, the governor proposed no new cuts Tuesday.

Political stunt?

But the depth of the proposal had some analysts calling it a political stunt to jar bickering legislators, and still others saying nothing would surprise them in these recessionary times of record unemployment.

Lauren Asher, acting president of the nonprofit Institute for College Access & Success in Berkeley, said eliminating tens of millions in financial aid would reduce students' tuition assistance by up to $9,708 apiece. At least 118,000 students would lose their entire grants, she said, adding that "the proposed cuts will wreak havoc with college plans for this fall."

The governor's budget also proposes massive and historic cuts to California's system of 279 state parks, from Big Basin Redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mountains to the Malibu beaches. Schwarzenegger has proposed cutting general fund money to parks in half this year and eliminating it entirely next year — cuts on a scale that have never been imposed on the state parks system since it began in earnest in the 1920s.

"Absolutely, we will have to close parks. The question is how many," said Roy Stearns, a spokesman for the state parks department in Sacramento.

While Schwarzenegger and Republican legislators have made clear new taxes or fees are off the table, Assembly budget committee Chairwoman Noreen Evans — embodying Democratic reaction to the Republican governor's proposal — vowed to push for new revenue measures such as taxes on soda or oil production as alternatives to more spending cuts.

"I will look under every rock and every leaf," the Santa Rosa Democrat said, "so that we can make sure women and children are fed and their medical needs are taken care of."

Mercury News staff writers Lisa Krieger and Paul Rogers and The Associated Press contributed to this report. Contact Karen de Sá at kdesa@mercurynews.com or 408-920-5781.

AMONG THE PROPOSED CUTS

Here are some of the dramatic cuts Gov.
Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed Tuesday.

Program

2009-10 savings

2010-11 savings

CalWORKs welfare program

$1.3 billion

$1.8 billion

Reduce drug and vocational rehab programs for prisoners

$789 million

$914 million

Borrow gas tax revenues from cities

$744 million

$745 million

Reduce UC and CSU budgets

$335 million

$335 million

Cut Healthy Families insurance program for poor children

$248 million

$322 million

Phase out Cal grants for college students

$173 million

$450 million

Commute sentences of nonviolent offenders one year early

$121 million

$0

Cut all general fund money for state parks

$70 million

$143 million

Cuts to Medi-Cal insurance program for the poor*

$34 million

$58 million

*Includes eliminating dialysis; breast and cervical cancer treatment for women over 65; and nonemergency services for undocumented patients

Source: California Department of Finance

Mercury News

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2009, 01:04 AM
I would REALLY REALLY like to see a pie chart of what the state spends it's money on.

sonofhal
05-27-2009, 01:23 AM
I would REALLY REALLY like a pie.

SamuelP
05-27-2009, 02:16 AM
I REALLY REALLY like pi.

dorkfish
05-27-2009, 02:17 AM
This totally won't effect the unemployment numbers at all:

Commute sentences of nonviolent offenders one year early

$121 million

$0

I mean, http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gVbdLXKW4Ng/SbvkSu0uZBI/AAAAAAAAACs/jWCVDsZChLQ/s320/pie-pi.jpg

bug on your lip
05-27-2009, 06:24 AM
this is where you morons wake up & realize you elected an actor for governor of the most populous U.S state

fatbastard
05-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Has anyone seen the Tommy Chong documentary? He called it.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2009, 07:09 AM
in my humble opinion. I don't think this is the govenors fault. I mean, the voters vote to spend money like mad but never vote for tax hikes to pay for it. Eventually something was going to happen.

TomAz
05-27-2009, 07:13 AM
you looking to lay blame? start here.

http://www.flashreport.org/images/Jarvis%20Cover.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2009, 07:14 AM

once again. Tom out does me.

TheWatcher
05-27-2009, 07:30 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gVbdLXKW4Ng/SbvkSu0uZBI/AAAAAAAAACs/jWCVDsZChLQ/s320/pie-pi.jpg

That's a nice pi you have there.

this is where you morons wake up & realize you elected an actor for governor of the most populous U.S state

Well, they thought it worked out alright with Ronald Regan... :rolleyes

Yeah, part of the problem is you have huge differences in the amount of money people are paying for taxes on the same value of house. So, for example, a house is worth $750,000 today. One person bought the house in 1975 and pays taxes on $200,000. Another person bought the house during the housing boom and pays taxes on $1,000,000. Fair? If they'd just made some exemptions on the property tax for people on a fixed income, etc., instead of what actually happened (prop 13) we probably wouldn't be in this mess. Of course, there is also the billions of dollars missing due to the Enron thing. Thank Bush for that. His feds sat by and watched it happen.

gaypalmsprings
05-27-2009, 07:51 AM
http://rickoshea.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/pie.jpg

marooko
05-27-2009, 07:53 AM
you guys should all run for office.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2009, 08:02 AM
you guys should all run for office.

its not like its that hard....just gotta get rid of all dem jerrymandererzzzz.....

fiyahhh!
05-27-2009, 08:36 AM
This is also what happens when you have a state whose population votes for a fucking supertrain when this dark budget cloud has been looming for years now.

marooko
05-27-2009, 09:02 AM
but it feels good. lets go get some medicinal cannabis.

roberto73
05-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I am happy to be moving away from California in six weeks.

I would be happier if the state to which I'm moving wasn't Georgia.

menikmati
05-27-2009, 10:02 AM
The supertrain is never gonna be built. Fuck California.

bug on your lip
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM
will California build the superdildo ?

biggfoot17
05-27-2009, 10:25 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/2622721017_e0b58e21a8.jpg?v=0

its already in LA. and look, it has lights

betao
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Good job California, you achieved the superdildo.

TomAz
05-27-2009, 10:48 AM
that's nothing. London's is better.

http://www.igpuk.com/GERKIN%204.jpg

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
SF wins

http://image06.webshots.com/6/9/74/15/83797415fVWtEF_fs.jpg

Blinken
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Guys we all know Dubai wins this dick measuring contest.
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200707/r161907_594320.jpg

bug on your lip
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
i don't know... that superdildo in London is pretty choice

hawkingvsreeve
05-27-2009, 12:21 PM
While the cuts suck, I admire that he is sticking to his guns on this. The responsibility lies with the lawmakers, and it seems like state republicans have been pussy-footing this thing forever. Fuck em.

amyzzz
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
People are debating Prop 8. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the governator is talking about Dickenesque cuts:
*Ahem* "Dickensian" is the proper term.

allyjoy
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
no, he's been sticking to his guns his entire time in office. he hasn't done anything but isolate himself from the legislature, living out one of his action hero personas in politics. it's failed this state. he helped to drive this state into debt and now wants to cut programs & raise taxes to cover his ass or appear like he's trying. i voted against the recall & i voted against Schwarzenegger. eff him! eff our legislature. citizens of clai, man the fuck up & hold your rep responsible. I have a couple of angry letters to write.

summerkid
05-27-2009, 12:47 PM

its not his fault that the people haven't listened to him he's been saying this has been coming forever but nobody votes for his propositions. People have said they wanted bipartisanship and he brings bipartisan props to the people and they vote them down every time. In the special election the people gave him a mandate to make cuts so he's having to do that now.

allyjoy
05-27-2009, 12:51 PM
are you f'ing kidding me summer? one of the first things he did in office was go after state employees, trying to cut their pensions and benefits. he gutted the consumer rights bill & lowered car registration costs which were increased by Davis to buffer against what we are going through now.

summerkid
05-27-2009, 12:55 PM
yes because raising car registration costs would erase the deficit entirely.

Blinken
05-27-2009, 01:02 PM
He had to make cuts, the state revenue was dwindling and we refused to accept higher taxes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The fact that Davis raised the car registration fees was main part of why he got recalled. All Arnold did was give the people what they wanted, he has tried to raise fees in other places but to do that he needed these special elections were we all said fuck off.

Pensions have been becoming a major problem for most companies and for some of them to survive people are gonna have to compromise. You know why auto industry is dying? Pension programs that were never fully factored into anything. The pension pay roll for Ford and GM is more than the active employee pay roll. Pension plans need to be phased out into personal 401k plans with matching contributions instead of full pension plans.

allyjoy
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
hence the word "buffer." really, cutting cal Works & eliminating matching federal funds makes sense?

Cutting student financial aid makes sense?

yes, Davis raised the cost of tuition for community colleges, but you could still get financial aid to cover the costs. Where in any of Schwarzenegger's proposals is there any guarantee for any citizen of this state who does not already have a stockpile of money hidden in their mattress? Davis knew this was coming, had a plan in action that was minimally offensive and he was recalled. Schwarzenegger was elected and helped to undo everything that made this state a place people wanted to move to or strive to be like. California, over the past 100 years, has been in the forefront of social and economic drives that other countries (not just states) used as a model. Now, we have someone who makes proposals that put us back a century. Who can support a leader that leads you backwards?

summerkid
05-27-2009, 01:15 PM
wtf are you talking about did you even read the propositions? stockpile of money? what the hell was wrong with prop 1D for instance?

TheWatcher
05-27-2009, 01:35 PM
*Ahem* "Dickensian" is the proper term.

Thanks. I was at a loss for words... :eek:

stinkbutt
05-27-2009, 02:38 PM

um

http://www.cinemastrikesback.com/news/new%20dailies/Predator/predator2-1024.jpg

marooko
05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

ha.

bug on your lip
05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Jesse didn't belong to either of the major political parties, so he never had to be a wishy washy politician..
he came in and slashed budgets without blinking.. for instance every time he slashed education budgets Donkeys/Elephants called him "anti-child" ...

he was a hero

Blinken
05-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Jesse didn't belong to either of the major political parties, so he never had to be a wishy washy politician..
he came in and slashed budgets without blinking.. for instance every time he slashed education budgets Donkeys/Elephants called him "anti-child" ...

he was a hero

yet Arnold slashing the budget is bad?

bug on your lip
05-27-2009, 02:50 PM
shouldn't he have like 4 years ago?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Yeah but then you know, it would piss people off and such so it took this to make it happen...

Blinken
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM

Better late than never.

bug on your lip
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM
yeah,
i'm sure not acting on it when everyone saw it coming had no exponential effect

TheWatcher
05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
yes because raising car registration costs would erase the deficit entirely.

No. But, it IS a lot of money. I think that my registration was basically cut in half. If you consider how many cars are registered in CA that adds up.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2009, 03:11 PM
California has needed a combination of tax increases and service cuts for YEARS....car registration is just a small drop in a huge lake.

hawkingvsreeve
05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I dont see why people are so shocked about all of this.

stinkbutt
05-27-2009, 03:47 PM
he was a hero

No all he did was legalize blue dots then tried to get his wife on the payroll

oh and insulted a bunch of Micks in St. Paul (ok this is actually grounds to call him a hero)

Boourns
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
This is why I voted for Camejo.

whynotsmile99
05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
I voted for Marey Carey

http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/images/mary_cary_role_models_small.jpg

I remember the reelection in California very fondly

dorkfish
05-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I voted for Gray Davis to not get recalled.

psycobetabuckdown
05-29-2009, 12:42 AM
I saw Arnold in person.

SFChrissy
05-29-2009, 01:13 AM
He had to make cuts, the state revenue was dwindling and we refused to accept higher taxes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The fact that Davis raised the car registration fees was main part of why he got recalled. All Arnold did was give the people what they wanted, he has tried to raise fees in other places but to do that he needed these special elections were we all said fuck off.

Pensions have been becoming a major problem for most companies and for some of them to survive people are gonna have to compromise. You know why auto industry is dying? Pension programs that were never fully factored into anything. The pension pay roll for Ford and GM is more than the active employee pay roll. Pension plans need to be phased out into personal 401k plans with matching contributions instead of full pension plans.

Pension...the sate of california lost a but load of money in the dot bomb and real estate bubbles...those investments were to support calpers pension bennefits...and all those funds have been lost!!!

brittany
05-29-2009, 01:54 AM
I think it's pretty stupid to end Cal Grants.... maybe cover less of the tuition... partial grant then student gets small loan if they can't cover the rest. Closing like 80% of our parks?? wtf how bout $5 fee to enter... I mean most of them have that anyway? Ending health care for children and old ppl.... how bout all the lazy middle aged people? I know many people who abuse welfare programs like food stamps.... maybe cut down on who they give those to but keep health care for all (or maybe obama should do that). Ending non-emergency care for illegal immigrants?? If you don't pay taxes, you already shouldn't be able to use our tax money for your health care, sorry... Arnold needs to get all the illegal immigrants out of the prisons and send them back home, and also let everyone out asap for non-violent crimes.

boarderwoozel3
05-29-2009, 02:01 AM
CA needs to trim 25% of it's budget. 25%!!!!!!! That's fucking nuts. A lot of quality programs are going to get axed, it's just the reality of the situation.

boarderwoozel3
05-29-2009, 02:05 AM
I voted for Gray Davis to not get recalled.
Thank you. I appreciate that more tan you may realize.

I voted for Marey Carey

http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/images/mary_cary_role_models_small.jpg

I remember the reelection in California very fondly
I've seen her shove a dildo in her pussy...

brittany
05-29-2009, 02:12 AM
I remember when we thought being 90 mil in debt was a lot.......

boarderwoozel3
05-29-2009, 02:27 AM
It has felt like monopoly money for a while now.

psycobetabuckdown
05-30-2009, 01:32 AM
It is monopoly money.

JebusLives
05-30-2009, 09:52 AM
that's nothing. London's is better.

http://www.igpuk.com/GERKIN%204.jpg

even i'd sit on that

JebusLives
05-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Governments HAVE to start thinking keynesian during BOOM times and freaking save some money for the next recession. Its like they go all keynesian and spend-spend-spend to get out of one (which is good), but then rack up massive debt causing inflation, cut programs et al.

Everyone tells their kids to save for a rainy day, but for some reason a lot of people don't think our government should do the same thing. It doersn't sound like California can afford to dig itself out of this recession, which is pretty scary.

Wellfare is one of the BEST types of stimulus there is, because when you give money to people who need it they spend it right away, stimulating the economy. Conversely, tax cuts are the stupidest thing to do because they don't encourage spending - a lot of it just ends up in bank accounts. California should increase taxes (yes, even now if they have to) and reinstitute and expand wellfare payments in the short term to get out of this mess.

TheWatcher
05-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes, but as my daughter says, they are all morons.

TheWatcher
05-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Wellfare is one of the BEST types of stimulus there is, because when you give money to people who need it they spend it right away, stimulating the economy. Conversely, tax cuts are the stupidest thing to do because they don't encourage spending - a lot of it just ends up in bank accounts. California should increase taxes (yes, even now if they have to) and reinstitute and expand wellfare payments in the short term to get out of this mess.

Another reason unrealistic tax cuts are a bad idea is that people will spend money on things they don't need... which probably encourages creation of products and jobs that don't really fit into a sustainable economy.

fatbastard
05-30-2009, 12:35 PM
We need to fire up that electric chair.

zenidogx
05-30-2009, 12:55 PM
If there's anything we need to cut, it's the amount of Terminator movies being made.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eat-the-press/ferecito.jpg

fatbastard
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Aye dios mio!

humanoid
05-30-2009, 01:44 PM
what if Arnold really is a cyborg sent from the future to destabilize our economy, weaken our moral and prime us for a takeover by the machines? Have any of you given that some serious thought? The answer has been right in front of us the entire time.

psycobetabuckdown
05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Governments HAVE to start thinking keynesian during BOOM times and freaking save some money for the next recession. Its like they go all keynesian and spend-spend-spend to get out of one (which is good), but then rack up massive debt causing inflation, cut programs et al.

Everyone tells their kids to save for a rainy day, but for some reason a lot of people don't think our government should do the same thing. It doersn't sound like California can afford to dig itself out of this recession, which is pretty scary.

How can you encourage rampant spending and rampant saving at the same time? This logic confuses me.

Wheres the beef?
05-31-2009, 02:23 PM

More money in bank accounts means more money a bank can lend. More money being lent means more investment in business. More investment in business hopefully means more jobs being created. More jobs means more spending.