PDA

View Full Version : Those Holes in Vacuums

comiddle
05-26-2009, 07:30 AM
One of my staff was vacuuming and asked me:

Why is there a sealable hole in the handle? You can turn this plastic piece around the metal handle to cover a hole...

What's it even there for? A lot of vacuums have them, but I've never really known what they're used for.

bug on your lip
05-26-2009, 07:34 AM
is she hot?

TomAz
05-26-2009, 07:44 AM
I always thought it was there to clean clogs.

now this is cool.

How to turn your vacuum cleaner into a bazooka. (http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/offbeat-news/how-to-turn-your-vacuum-cleaner-into-a-bazooka/1164)

bug on your lip
05-26-2009, 07:53 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2908992839_4c1afbb052.jpg

caco0283
05-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Those hands look like yablos hands

Hannahrain
05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Suction. If you cover the hole, the suction is increased and the vacuum will pick up bigger things with ease. If you leave it uncovered, there's slightly less chance that something larger that you're not trying to suck up (rug fringe, maybe) is going to get sucked into the vacuum.

MissingPerson
05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I had a kind of hazy idea that might be what it was for Hannah, but no certainty. I wasn't sure why it would be necessary to add any other kind of suction control given that most vacuums have that little kicky switch to flip between carpet and hard surface suction anyway.

I feel like we've all grown today.

menikmati
05-26-2009, 12:53 PM
We just ordered a new vacuum...hopefully this one will actually suck and pick up crap....there is so much cat hair around here, it's sorta gross.

Hannahrain
05-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Rapid suction increase also helps people control the actual vacuum movement (turning the suction on makes the vacuum self-propulsion a lot stronger and might be more desirable for a larger surface area or a really knobbly carpet), which is probably why there's an additional mechanism. Plus, it's such a simple feat of engineering to have it there and it makes such an instant difference that it would be stupid NOT to have it. Especially since (regardless of whether or not you've set the kicky switch to the highest or lowest suction setting) it gives you the opportunity to increase or decrease it outside of the range of the normal settings, drastically increasing or decreasing your floorsucking ability to meet your exact floorsucking needs.

TomAz
05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
http://dynga.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/nothing_sucks_like_electrolux-600x299.jpg

TomAz
05-26-2009, 01:21 PM
We just ordered a new vacuum...hopefully this one will actually suck and pick up crap....there is so much cat hair around here, it's sorta gross.

fqlBruE8C7U

amyzzz
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Ah, so the hole didn't suck you into an alternate universe..? Maybe mine's broken.

JebusLives
05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I hate that little fucking hole. Nothing worse than that sinking feeling you get when you realize you just vacuumed the whole room with the fucking hole uncovered. WHY does the cover slip off it so easily?? Why don't they use a different mechanism, like a rubber stopper? Or maybe have the thing warn you like those talking cars from the 80s... "The hole is ajar! The hole is ajar!"

gaypalmsprings
05-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Dwarf glued penis to Hoover
Sunday, August 19, 2007

A show called Circus Of Horrors lived up to its name when a dwarf accidentally glued his penis to a vacuum cleaner.

Captain Dan The Demon Dwarf was taken to hospital when he became stuck to the machine after misreading superglue instructions.

The 42-year-old pulls the vacuum across the stage with his manhood at the Edinburgh Fringe production.

Its attachment came loose before a performance so he tried to glue it back on.

He left it to dry for 20 seconds rather than 20 minutes – and it stuck to him when he tried it out.

'It was the most embarrassing moment of my life,' he explained. 'When I got wheeled into a packed A&E on a wheelchair with a Hoover attached to my willie, I just wished the ground could swallow me up.'

Staff at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh managed to remove the attachment after an hour.