PDA

View Full Version : It's raining Wilco (The former member)

thestripe
05-24-2009, 08:48 PM
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that multi-instrumentalist Jay Bennett, formerly of Wilco, died this morning in Urbana, Illinois. He was 45 years old; the cause of death is not yet known.

Bennett was a member of Wilco from 1994 through 2001, and was a driving force behind their albums Being There, Summerteeth, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, as well as their Mermaid Avenue collaborations with Billy Bragg. Bennett's departure from the band, during the recording of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, was chronicled in the 2002 documentary I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.

Very sad.

RIP.

TomAz
05-24-2009, 08:51 PM
oh i just put this in the misc lounge

but yeah.. sad. RIP indeed.

TallGuyCM
05-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow, that's terrible.

Kid B
05-24-2009, 08:57 PM
This is terribly sad news.

R.I.P

Still-ill
05-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Wow sad, indeed. But wasn't he about to sue Wilco for not giving him royalties for "Yankee hotel foxtrot" and the "I am trying to break your heart" documentary?

gaypalmsprings
05-24-2009, 09:20 PM
sad

PassiveTheory
05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Wow sad, indeed. But wasn't he about to sue Wilco for not giving him royalties for "Yankee hotel foxtrot" and the "I am trying to break your heart" documentary?

Yeah, to pay for the hip replacement surgery that his health insurance wouldn't cover that ended up killing him.

miscorrections
05-24-2009, 09:42 PM
You can't say it killed him until the autopsy is done. Way to assume, champ.

kreutz2112
05-24-2009, 09:49 PM
regardless.

RIP

PassiveTheory
05-24-2009, 09:50 PM
He went into surgery and died shortly thereafter. It doesn't take a lot of thought to understand that it was either the procedure itself or complications from it that killed him.

gaypalmsprings
05-24-2009, 09:54 PM
irregardless

TomAz
05-24-2009, 09:55 PM
He went into surgery and died shortly thereafter.

I read he died in his sleep. not in surgery.

his management (http://undertowmusic.com/2009/05/jay-bennett/)

gaypalmsprings
05-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Pop Pick: Jay Bennett

By Max Abelson
May 6, 2009 | 4:12 p.m

In late April, ex-Wilco band member Jay Bennett wrote on MySpace about his hip replacement surgery, under-insurance problems, arthritic aches and knee trouble: “I have been saving as much money as possible ever since I made this new commitment to my health, my future, and my quality of life,” he shared, “and have sold off some vintage recording gear.”

Drummer Ken Coomer, who was also fired from Wilco, left one of the few comments: “Love You! Call me I have a story of a friend who just went through a similar, actually worse surgery....”

How could the tale of Jay Bennett get sadder? This is how: On Tuesday, The Chicago Tribune reported that Mr. Bennett has sued Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy, claiming that Mr. Tweedy owes him for his eight years in the band, and for his role in their documentary, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart. That film shows dreadlocked, chubby, whiny Mr. Bennett giving migraines to Mr. Tweedy during the recording of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, hailed as the smartest American rock album in eons when it was finally released in 2002. Mr. Bennett had been fired in August 2001.

Whether or not he gets the $50,000 he’s after—or a functioning hip—there’s some recompense in the open secret that Wilco hasn’t been the same without him. What is now middle-of-the-road prettiness was once tobacco-stained, waffle-ironed beauty. Thanks in large part to Mr. Bennett’s kaleidoscopic instrumentation, 1999’s Summerteeth sounds like Phil Spector producing Gram Parsons covering the Beach Boys.

Mr. Bennett’s last solo album, Whatever Happened I Apologize, is available as a free download under a noncommercial Creative Commons license. “Once I am able to get a down payment of sorts together and actually have the surgery performed … I should be operating at approximately 80% capacity,” he wrote on MySpace. “I’m functioning WAY below 80% right now, so what do I have to lose?”

Still-ill
05-24-2009, 10:23 PM
I wonder how Jeff feels about this... apparently they have/had an intense love/hate relationship.

woogie846
05-25-2009, 09:29 AM
I heard this last night on the radio, it's a shame.

RIP

MarkO
05-25-2009, 11:20 AM
RIP

:(