PDA

View Full Version : Official Health Thread:All Exercise, Nutrition and More

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:37 AM
We all hope that we can live long healthy lives.

Life is a race is it not?! Would you not rather finish last?!

Lets help out one another and discuss what he or she does that hopes to accomplish this goal: to have good health.

Exercise, Nutrition, and Mental Health. And More!

Young blood
05-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Zzzzzzzzzz.....cocaine and scotch.

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Zzzzzzzzzz.....cocaine and scotch.

Die young man. But I doubt you do that on a regular. If you do.. WOW

Young blood
05-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Excess.

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Excess.

Do you do anything healthy? Even if you had sex is it with two men and a twinky? :laughyou

I'm just busting your balls. Well if you knew me 3 years ago, I would have overly been happy to do what you have wrote.

bmack86
05-24-2009, 12:58 AM
http://brooklynradio.net/files/image/health.jpg

Die Slow is one of the better songs released this year, and these guys are going to put out one hell of a sophomore album.

Thread officially jacked for more important purposes.

vogina
05-24-2009, 01:02 AM
http://brooklynradio.net/files/image/health.jpg

Die Slow is one of the better songs released this year, and these guys are going to put out one hell of a sophomore album.

Thread officially jacked for more important purposes.

You son of a bitch!

boarderwoozel3
05-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Don't eat shitty food and work out. Case closed.

vogina
05-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Don't eat shitty food and work out. Case closed.

We would all think that it was that simple all the time. Someone might have an injury that makes it harder to exercise, another person may be struggling to lose that last ten pounds. For most almost everyone is overweight, either by a small ammount or worse.

So I just woke up and am planning to run 4.1 miles to my buddy's place. From that we plan to hit the gym to do pump some iron hahA.

Well I guess where I'm going with this is that I'm 5'11 and 275lbs obese, but I am healthier and in good physical health than most my friends,family, and coworkers. I am just struggling to lose more.

Discuss in here some methods, plans, and just how you keep healthy to help others. And more importantly something that can change all our routines by learning something new.

fatbastard
05-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow. You sure initially appear to be a fat bastard. What would you say is your body fat percentage?

I just signed up for a weight contest. The first weigh in will be this coming Friday. I'm suppose to loose .5% of my body weight every two weeks for the next 3 months, then 1% for months 4 thru 6. It was 50 bucks to get in and a 10 dollar fine for every weigh in that I don't make weight.

First things first. I've been drinking 3 bottles of water a day. Normally, it's just tea, soda, or coffee.

Second, none of the following. Bread, beans, rice, pasta, pancakes, waffles, ice cream, or tortillas.

Third, I've been eating 3 meals a day.

I've lost 6 pounds by doing this over the past 9 days. I'll bottom out after 15-18 pounds and will have to start walking/running.

rskapcat
05-24-2009, 10:28 AM
I support this thread (since I'm fat & trying to lose weight), but I have a feeling it will be derailed repeatedly. And I don't need the peanut gallery giving me shit about my weight, since eating my feelings got me to this weight in the first place. If you start a social group, I'll join & contribute.

fatbastard
05-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Hmmm. Now there's an idea.

rskapcat
05-24-2009, 10:32 AM
The good news is that I'm cured of my pancake addiction...purely by accident. The combo of a new pancake mix & Hungry Jack Lite syrup turned my stomach this morning. I'm cursed (or blessed, in this case) in that if a food turns my stomach even once, I can't eat it again without the nasty memory coming to mind. So no matter how good future pancakes may sound, I won't be able to escape the memory of that disgusting glue-like syrup.

Courtney
05-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I like talking about health-related stuff, and I also agree this thread is going to be constantly derailed. Like Becca, I would happily join & contribute to a social group. Let's do it!

fatbastard
05-24-2009, 10:43 AM
It's done.

vogina
05-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Wow. You sure initially appear to be a fat bastard. What would you say is your body fat percentage?

I just signed up for a weight contest. The first weigh in will be this coming Friday. I'm suppose to loose .5% of my body weight every two weeks for the next 3 months, then 1% for months 4 thru 6. It was 50 bucks to get in and a 10 dollar fine for every weigh in that I don't make weight.

First things first. I've been drinking 3 bottles of water a day. Normally, it's just tea, soda, or coffee.

Second, none of the following. Bread, beans, rice, pasta, pancakes, waffles, ice cream, or tortillas.

Third, I've been eating 3 meals a day.

I've lost 6 pounds by doing this over the past 9 days. I'll bottom out after 15-18 pounds and will have to start walking/running.

My body fat is around 16.8%. I need to lose about 50lbs, the rest is lean and green.

Well I use to be a REALLY FAT BASTARD 6 years ago. 370lbs. I can tell you that even if your not that fat, what you have planned out with your routine sounds firm. A lot of it has to be getting back on the horse. Just being healthy is a lot easier said than done. One quick thing before I take off. If you are use to eating not so healthy, and you find yourself in a situation where diet is a must but you are always cheating and regretting it. Eat the unhealthiest meal for lunch; it gives you the chance to burn most of it all off, and if not at least not sit in your stomach towards bedtime when the metabolism you have naturally begins to slow down.

I support this thread (since I'm fat & trying to lose weight), but I have a feeling it will be derailed repeatedly. And I don't need the peanut gallery giving me shit about my weight, since eating my feelings got me to this weight in the first place. If you start a social group, I'll join & contribute.
The world is not perfect, so fuck everyone else. Everyone has his or her insecurities. We don't force ours upon ourselves, others do. But the hell with that too brother. The goal is to be healthy or healthier, no more, no less.:thu

vogina
05-24-2009, 10:55 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa242/emmablackwoo1/GetInMyBelly.jpg

morelifefucker
05-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Sometimes fat is sexy.

fiyahhh!
05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
It's done.

Can I join?

rskapcat
05-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Can I join?

http://coachella.com/forum/group.php

It's the first one. :)

*edit* Might help if I actually post the link, huh?

bmack86
05-24-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm 5'6", and 4 months ago I was 220 lbs. I'm now to 190, but I really want to lose quite a bit more. I've considerably cut back on my drinking, and I'm exercising, which is new for me.

Derekx
05-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Lately, I've been trying to gain some weight. I'm really skinny and I could use a few more pounds on me. Been drinking protein shakes everyday and working out. I'm seeing results already after only a week.

vogina
05-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Lately, I've been trying to gain some weight. I'm really skinny and I could use a few more pounds on me. Been drinking protein shakes everyday and working out. I'm seeing results already after only a week.

My buddy Nick sounds like you. He's about 6'2 and thin. He's got the shoulders to be a big guy, so he says. He has tried to gain some pounds. Protein, and peanut butter. But still not to much progress. I say eat right before you go to bed. That might help, but be the unhealthiest method

coldstart
05-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Are you trying to gain fat or muscle? If you want muscle, then you have to combine a decent amount of protein (~ 150% of your daily recommended value) with exercise. I usually do a couple miles running, a couple uphill sprints, come home, drink a protein shake immediately, then a bunch of crunches/yoga/pushups/whatever. Eat a lot of tofu (high protein/fat ratio). Peanut butter is ok, but it has a lot of fat in it in addition to protein. Soy (as in tofu) is a complete protein, meaning it has ALL of the amino acids necessary for life (and building muscle). So does meat but you have the high fat problem again. I've also been a vegetarian for years so I can recommend a non-meat diet with confidence.

You may want to get an account at this site: http://www.thedailyplate.com/

You can track your weight, calorie intake and exercise and set your goals for weight loss/gain. It will tell you exactly what you need to do in order to acheive that. I've used it for a long time and it's great.

fiyahhh!
05-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Hugh Jackman said to get into Wolverine shape he ate "half the chicken population of Australia" and did alternating weeks of heavy weights/low reps and light weights/high reps.

Mr.Nipples
05-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Hugh Jackman said to get into Wolverine shape he ate "half the chicken population of Australia" and did alternating weeks of heavy weights/low reps and light weights/high reps.

he shit himself a chicken that had no boneeeesssss

fiyahhh!
05-25-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.sugarstacks.com/img/colas.jpg

http://www.sugarstacks.com/img/shake.jpg

http://www.sugarstacks.com/img/yoplait.jpg

http://www.sugarstacks.com/img/dbl_gulp.jpg

frazzles
05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm not a lardass by any means and I'm carrying like, maybe 5-6% body fat. My main problem has to do with my diet and lack of giving a shit/consistency. I know there's a diet I should follow to remain in top sprinter shape, but considering how I got fucked out of competing in Germany next month in an international meet, I don't really care as much until next year. Some days I'll just survive on 2 bowls of cereal, some days I'll eat my weight in bread.

One thing I have done though is pretty much cut all dairy out of my diet except for the occasional cheeseburger or sandwich with a slice of cheese here and there.

vogina
05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm not a lardass by any means and I'm carrying like, maybe 5-6% body fat. My main problem has to do with my diet and lack of giving a shit/consistency. I know there's a diet I should follow to remain in top sprinter shape, but considering how I got fucked out of competing in Germany next month in an international meet, I don't really care as much until next year. Some days I'll just survive on 2 bowls of cereal, some days I'll eat my weight in bread.

One thing I have done though is pretty much cut all dairy out of my diet except for the occasional cheeseburger or sandwich with a slice of cheese here and there.

Try to focus on the health aspect and nothing more. Surviving on two bowls of cereal for some is impossible, but for all is not a healthy diet. Your body needs all the nutrients it can get. In the form of supplements or hard healthy food.
Not to sure where your going with this, but if at all you think about stopping your running program either with a team or just training on your own-don't. It's always harder to get back to where you were, physically, then have to do all the work all over again.

Try taking vitamins with your cereal, squeeze in a protein shake in somewhere. Eat your body weight in fruits, or even vegetables if easily accessible.

fatbastard
05-26-2009, 11:29 AM

You need something to put you on "the regular" lardass.

vogina
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Plyometrics have been around for a very long time. I can remember doing them in elementary school and my older brothers complaining about it all the time.

But they do work! They involve total physical body participation. "Shoulder knees to toes" Hehe. But they do work and create a very difficult routine from the novice to the more advance workout routine.

Some to start that can be done from home or at the gym:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/plyometric_exercises_tuck_jumps.gif With this you really want to do a squat position and spring upward using your arms as a leaping leverage. If you feel more comfortable grab some dumbbells and hold in each hand to add to the equation.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/plyometric_exercises_lateral_hurdle_jumps.gif Either at the gym with the workout room steps or at home with a pair of books in between, another good cardio and muscle workout in one.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/plyometric_exercises_depth_jump.gif Probably one of the most difficult but most effective. Variation: jump ON TO the platform and jump off the platform.

All these are very good if you are looking for variations in workouts. Tired of elliptical, can't do treadmill. Give it a try.

Young blood
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM
How do you fly backwards on to a platform?

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
through the power of being skinny :p

i support this thread, add me to the group!

i lost about 15-20 pounds from early last year till late last year and have kept it off for the most part. before that, i was walking a few times a week and really trying to watch what i eat, but now i go for a walk every day, no excuses. even if it's just a ten minute trip to the store, i move every day. i don't really have to pay attention to what i eat anymore either, though i avoid sugary drinks and try not to stuff my face too much. just cutting sugary soda out of your diet and eating proper portion sizes (the size of your fist), can do wonders people.

i was watching that alzheimer's special on HBO over the weekend, and i thought it was interesting that just 30 minutes of excercise changes the way your body works with insulin for 24 hours. amazing. also, excercise does wonders for your memory.

best of luck to everyone trying to get healthy and remember to get that heart working every day!!! makes a huge difference.

vogina
05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
How do you fly backwards on to a platform?

Fuck my teacher, that was a dumb fucking question.

vogina
05-27-2009, 10:25 AM

i lost about 15-20 pounds from early last year till late last year and have kept it off for the most part. before that, i was walking a few times a week and really trying to watch what i eat, but now i go for a walk every day, no excuses. even if it's just a ten minute trip to the store, i move every day. i don't really have to pay attention to what i eat anymore either, though i avoid sugary drinks and try not to stuff my face too much. just cutting sugary soda out of your diet and eating proper portion sizes (the size of your fist), can do wonders people.

i was watching that alzheimer's special on HBO over the weekend, and i thought it was interesting that just 30 minutes of excercise changes the way your body works with insulin for 24 hours. amazing. also, excercise does wonders for your memory.

best of luck to everyone trying to get healthy and remember to get that heart working every day!!! makes a huge difference.

I was checking out that alzheimer's project show too. Ya it is crazy. I think you can just auto add yourself to the group.

BROKENDOLL
05-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Die young man. But I doubt you do that on a regular. If you do.. WOW
I'd rather be regular as I age than suffer from irregularity.

BROKENDOLL
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
We would all think that it was that simple all the time. Someone might have an injury that makes it harder to exercise, another person may be struggling to lose that last ten pounds. For most almost everyone is overweight, either by a small ammount or worse.

So I just woke up and am planning to run 4.1 miles to my buddy's place. From that we plan to hit the gym to do pump some iron hahA.

Well I guess where I'm going with this is that I'm 5'11 and 275lbs obese, but I am healthier and in good physical health than most my friends,family, and coworkers. I am just struggling to lose more.

Discuss in here some methods, plans, and just how you keep healthy to help others. And more importantly something that can change all our routines by learning something new.
See? If you'd just do a line of cocaine and sip some scotch, you wouldn't be struggling!

paganman7
05-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I've secretly hid my health and fitness obsession from these boards so as to avoid people calling me bro.

Fuck it, it's out. I'm a supplement/weight lifting fanatic.

Having kids has certainly cramped my efforts, but I still get in a few workouts a week when I can.

Young blood
05-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Do you have a tribal band tattoo?

paganman7
05-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Do you have a tribal band tattoo?

Nope.

I guess I'm only half-bro.

edit: I do have a tattoo on my right shoulder, but it's not very bro-ish.

fatbastard
05-27-2009, 12:28 PM

HBO showed a documentary last year with women who had eating disorders. It was not for the faint at heart. They showed this girl who didn't look a day over 20. After watching people put a diaper on her and listening about her life, they finally mention that she's in her late 30s. Her body had stopped developing as a result of her non eating.

vogina
05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Core muscle group routine:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/core_strength_prone_bridge.gif

Then you can do a continous motion into this next image or just do it alone.
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/core_strength_side_bridge.gif

amyzzz
05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
HBO showed a documentary last year with women who had eating disorders. It was not for the faint at heart. They showed this girl who didn't look a day over 20. After watching people put a diaper on her and listening about her life, they finally mention that she's in her late 30s. Her body had stopped developing as a result of her non eating.
Other than the diaper part, how is NOT AGING a bad thing? ;)

TheWatcher
05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Core muscle group routine:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/core_strength_prone_bridge.gif

Then you can do a continous motion into this next image or just do it alone.
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/core_strength_side_bridge.gif

Yeah.. I think those are for people in better shape than I am!

boarderwoozel3
05-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I've secretly hid my health and fitness obsession from these boards so as to avoid people calling me bro.

Fuck it, it's out. I'm a supplement/weight lifting fanatic.

Having kids has certainly cramped my efforts, but I still get in a few workouts a week when I can.

I'm pretty obsessive about fitness as well. Used to be much more strict about it than I am now.

Food: I try to avoid fat and excess sugar wherever possible. It's as easy as looking a the nutritional facts while shopping. Then I to look for foods high in lean protein. This repairs (builds) muscle after your workouts. Don't drink soda, even diet, and do drink plenty of water. Just get in the habit of reading nutritional labels and eat smart. Fresh is always better, cut all fast food, packaged snack crackers etc...

Exercise: Honestly, if you're just starting to workout a few sessions (1-3) with a personal trainer are invaluable. They'll be able to start you down the right path for your specific fitness level and goals. If you don't want to do that, utilize the internets to get an idea of what you should be doing.

Currently, I run about 20 miles and lift weights 3-4 times a week. I try to do more but I'm a little lazy and drink too much :/

Tips:
-This no carb business is nonsense. It's not a lasting solution but a quick, temporary fix. You need carbohydrates for energy, especially for cardio exercise. Like anything else It's all about consuming them in moderation.
-Cut late night snacking. Your body is least active while your sleeping. Your snack before bed won't be burned as energy but stored as excess--fat.
-Be wary of protien shakes. Sure they have a lot of protein and many are fortified with vitamins but they also have a lot of fat. Fat free milk and cottage cheese will do the same thing and be cheaper. I wouldn't recommend protein shakes unless you're trying to put on weight.
-Get plenty of protein within 30 minutes of your workout. Especially if you're weightlifting.
-Play recreational sports. They're a great way to enjoy your exercise and give you something to work toward improving your fitness for in the gym.
-If you really want to lose weight quickly, cut booze. I know, it's a big ask but that stuff is jam-packed with extra calories. It's the sad truth :(

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. Sorry it's such a long winded stream of conscious. About 4 years ago I was ~50 lbs overweight and as cliche as it is, started to mind what I ate and exercised about 5 days week. It took me about 18 months to lose the wight and put on a decent layer of muscle. It's going to take time, effort and persistence but it's incredibly worth it. Day to day activities become easier. Coachella for example; The past few years I've been able to party hard and run all over the place all weekend mainly due to my fitness.

So good luck to you all and hang in there :thu Only through persistence and sweat will you get the results you want.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
no carbs is not good in the long run; however you have to learn what is good for you and what is empty. as with anything, it's best to know what carbs are actually beneficial to your health and what is just empty sugar.

TomAz
05-27-2009, 03:22 PM
About 4 years ago I was ~50 lbs overweight and as cliche as it is, started to mind what I ate and exercised about 5 days week. It took me about 18 months to lose the wight and put on a decent layer of muscle.

congrats.

A little over a year ago I started having some health issues relating to my weight and bad habits. So I started exercising and eating better. (like you, I didn't want to stop drinking either). I've lost about 35 pounds in the past 13 months. I would like to lose another 20.

I never really went on a "diet" but I did make some changes. Made myself start eating breakfast every day, so that I would avoid the midmorning munchies when I'd snack on bad foods. Try to cook more 'healthy' food but I've not completely cut out red meat, but I'm down to probably once a week on it. Limit my chocolate consumption (along with beer my big weakness).

My workouts are all cardio. I'm a numbers guy so I got into the cardio zones (low, mid, high) and eventually wound up setting weekly targets for myself -- at first the targets were distance ("I'm going to do 25 miles this week") but then as I learned more they became time-based, so now my targets are a certain amount of time in each of the three cardio zones each week. plus a weekly calorie burn target. Right now I'm at about 8 hours and 4500 calories a week -- which takes time and planning and stuff. so you have to actually want to do it.

The funny thing is though when I started working out it felt like a chore. I mean I was motivated, and I was seeing results fairly quickly, but it still felt like a chore. But as time went on it got to be something I looked forward to. Now if I miss a day I get cranky about it.

I found that the hardest part of getting started with the workouts is fighting the boredom. you need a strategy "this is what I'm going to do to keep myself entertained" or else you're gonna struggle with doing it consistently.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Now if I miss a day I get cranky about it.

I found that the hardest part of getting started with the workouts is fighting the boredom. you need a strategy "this is what I'm going to do to keep myself entertained" or else you're gonna struggle with doing it consistently.

i totally agree. i notice a difference in my entire well-being after only one day of not doing anything physical.

the boredom is something to get used to. i grew up essentially an only child, so i'm ok with my thoughts and apprecite the time i have to sort out my day on my walks. for awhile i did audiobooks, but i found that my mind would wander and i wouldn't realize where i left off. it's definitely a nice way to listen to new music, that's for sure. so much of my music doesn't sound nearly as good through speakers as it does in headphones, so i appreciate having the chance to actually listen and pay attention to my music since it's so rare that i ever have the time to sit and just listen.

the hardest part for me is getting out the door. once i'm walking, there's no stopping me. but some days it takes a little extra push to get out of the house. i try to do it as soon as i get home to make this as easy as possible.

good luck, tom. sounds like it's working for ya :thu

frazzles
05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Try to focus on the health aspect and nothing more. Surviving on two bowls of cereal for some is impossible, but for all is not a healthy diet. Your body needs all the nutrients it can get. In the form of supplements or hard healthy food.
Not to sure where your going with this, but if at all you think about stopping your running program either with a team or just training on your own-don't. It's always harder to get back to where you were, physically, then have to do all the work all over again.

Try taking vitamins with your cereal, squeeze in a protein shake in somewhere. Eat your body weight in fruits, or even vegetables if easily accessible.

I guess I could have explained better. There's like a full GNC in my room. While my vitamin/supplement collection is somewhat thin right now because of a temporary strain on finances until Monday, I'm usually pretty ridiculous about it. On average, I'll usually take these daily:

Vitamin C 1000 with Rose Hips (1 every other day)
Nutrilite Double X (6 Tablets daily, one of each color, 2x)
Fish Oil
Vitamin E
Soy Lechithin Granules
CLA 500 (2 a day)
Low-Protein (Syntha 6) shake with soy-milk
High Protein concoction of juice, fruits and shit (usually after really hitting the weights, 5 times a week)

I'm standing 5'9" at currently teetering off at about 156-160 lbs, depending on how much I ate/drank by the time I weigh myself after the gym. I just don't look like Bruce Lee(roy) like I did 2 years ago. I'm still in the basic shape I was in after I was done coasting through boot camp, I just added a nice mix of my muscle mass and fat back since then (I was at about 145 when I got done with that). Half of that was just being able to eat my food again.

I think last year I averaged about 320/365 days of the year I worked out in some form or fashion. The problem, if you can call it that, now is that with it being the off-season for me and being that sprinters and endurance runners are composed so differently, is that I'm too damn lazy to put in good cardio. Anybody can tell you that sprinting will burn more in shorter time than miles would, but after you get so used to running, say, 20 100 meter dashes in one session, it stops working. I know the simplest, although one of the most painful, ways to remedy that is incremental sprints on a track (50 meters, 100 meters, 150, etc to 350. "Full" recovery then a 400 at a 400 pace, given what you have left in you, that takes no more than 55 seconds). Then there's fartleking, hill sprints, agility drills, greater than 400m sprints, and so on and so forth but I'm starting to go into a completely different language here.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, it's mostly when I'm not doing shit OR too busy doing shit (IE, Coachella, where I survived on 1 slice of pizza and 3 bottles of water or so daily) is when my diet becomes pretty trash. I'm just more focused on building up the strength and muscle endurance aspect of my body right now and will worry about cutting myself back up come October when this Louisiana weather isn't as disastrous.

And since I brought up T&F, the only sport I give two shits about, this thread will now feature Lolo Jones who, unfortunately, fucked up at the worst possible time in Beijing:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9223/lolojones70.jpg

Pixiessp
05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
And......I am off to ride my bike.

vogina
05-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I do these as part of my non-cardio routine. They rock.
Try putting them in between sets. They will crush you like a lil bug. Now imagine http://www.filmbums.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/arnold-schwarzenegger-the-terminator.jpg LOL:rotfl

Yeah.. I think those are for people in better shape than I am!

Hey TheWatcher. Try just squatting, as if you are sitting in a chair, as far as you can go WITHOUT over extending your knees and back. As far as you are comfortable. This will significantly build an entire core and body muscle group, especially for an individual less active. It may not seem like a lot, but it builds quickly.
Lay down back flat on the floor. Place your hands, palm down, beneath the edge of your butt; the are that is closest to your feet and that the butt begins not touching the floor. Begin to elevate your feet, 6"-8" and hold for 10-15seconds, or until you feel the burn. This will begin to also build lower back, abs, and array of core muscles as well without it being to stress oriented. If laying on the floor will cause back problems, begin on the bed or do this except in a seated upright position but for longer lengths of time. Or until you feel that burn!

And I agree with most of you when you say that some days its hard to get up and exercise. It is just like anything else in life. But the most important thing is getting back on the horse. No one is perfect, but to doubt yourself and give up is not in the best interest of your well being.

vogina
05-27-2009, 04:00 PM
I guess I could have explained better. There's like a full GNC in my room. While my vitamin/supplement collection is somewhat thin right now because of a temporary strain on finances until Monday, I'm usually pretty ridiculous about it. On average, I'll usually take these daily:

Vitamin C 1000 with Rose Hips (1 every other day)
Nutrilite Double X (6 Tablets daily, one of each color, 2x)
Fish Oil
Vitamin E
Soy Lechithin Granules
CLA 500 (2 a day)
Low-Protein (Syntha 6) shake with soy-milk
High Protein concoction of juice, fruits and shit (usually after really hitting the weights, 5 times a week)

I'm standing 5'9" at currently teetering off at about 156-160 lbs, depending on how much I ate/drank by the time I weigh myself after the gym. I just don't look like Bruce Lee(roy) like I did 2 years ago. I'm still in the basic shape I was in after I was done coasting through boot camp, I just added a nice mix of my muscle mass and fat back since then (I was at about 145 when I got done with that). Half of that was just being able to eat my food again.

I think last year I averaged about 320/365 days of the year I worked out in some form or fashion. The problem, if you can call it that, now is that with it being the off-season for me and being that sprinters and endurance runners are composed so differently, is that I'm too damn lazy to put in good cardio. Anybody can tell you that sprinting will burn more in shorter time than miles would, but after you get so used to running, say, 20 100 meter dashes in one session, it stops working. I know the simplest, although one of the most painful, ways to remedy that is incremental sprints on a track (50 meters, 100 meters, 150, etc to 350. "Full" recovery then a 400 at a 400 pace, given what you have left in you, that takes no more than 55 seconds). Then there's fartleking, hill sprints, agility drills, greater than 400m sprints, and so on and so forth but I'm starting to go into a completely different language here.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, it's mostly when I'm not doing shit OR too busy doing shit (IE, Coachella, where I survived on 1 slice of pizza and 3 bottles of water or so daily) is when my diet becomes pretty trash. I'm just more focused on building up the strength and muscle endurance aspect of my body right now and will worry about cutting myself back up come October when this Louisiana weather isn't as disastrous.

And since I brought up T&F, the only sport I give two shits about, this thread will now feature Lolo Jones who, unfortunately, fucked up at the worst possible time in Beijing:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9223/lolojones70.jpg

Wow. So you are in really athletic shape. A friend of mine was in the same position as you are in. I did not know him at the time that it occurred only about a year later. He had told me repeatedly that he wished and prayed he would of kept up some routine to be at if not close to the level he was in track and field. He was pretty good so I've heard and seen his medals and known his stories for Long Beach State.

I know all this shit food is not doing me any good while I am working out. You know that not maintaining a healthy eating habit is doing shit for you.

Something I tried a long time ago that may or may not work (because basically everyone has their little knacks about how they go about things) is to have on off days with what you really want to work on. Or maybe have those intense running sessions so that you can feel how not having a proper diet is doing. Aim for once a week. Your sitiuation is something I have never dealt with before. You sound like a lazy athlete. I sound like a lethargic lard ass. Hold me Close

amyzzz
05-27-2009, 04:01 PM
i grew up essentially an only child, so i'm ok with my thoughts and apprecite the time i have to sort out my day on my walks.
ha ha ha, this explains so much! :)

frazzles
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I'll admit that it's partially laziness. Part of it has to do with bouts of insomnia/very little sleep for anywhere from 1 day to weeks at a time that drains me. Part of had to do with when I was on swing shift at worked 3PM to 11PM (most of the time, longer than that). Part of it those days when work really sucked at you come home smelling to high hell like jet fuel. Part of it is those days when you have pain in the ass component changes that aren't exactly feather-light so you've got your workout done for the day. Part of it you don't want to go to the gym when is absolutely crowded, which is usually up until right about now when you and about 3/5ths of the base work day shift.

With that being said, I'm about to hit the gym right now.

vogina
05-28-2009, 08:47 AM
A personal version on nutrition from that "eat this not that" book

Eat corn tortilla instead of flour tortilla.
Eat fruits instead of drinking juice.
Eat del tacos small tacos instead of jack in a cracks tacos

chairmenmeow47
05-28-2009, 08:50 AM
you can pry jack's tacos from my fat, dead fingers!

vogina
05-28-2009, 08:52 AM
you can pry jack's tacos from my fat, dead fingers!

Haha. In my case it would be "fat, dead, DRUNK, fingers!" :rotfl

vogina
05-31-2009, 11:12 AM
I want to do some swimming. Anyone got some recommendations on goggles?

Was looking at speedo.

http://spdo.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pSPDO1-5454000p275w.jpg

vogina
06-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Just got done swimming two miles.. Driving home in the rain and lightning was fun.

comiddle
06-03-2009, 06:42 AM
I managed to liberate a road bike. It's really pimp. Light as a feather. I hope to ride a lot as soon as I get around to fixing the punctured tube.

paganman7
06-03-2009, 07:06 AM
I just got this. I can't wait for it to arrive (tomorrow):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oOTv1qxFgDQ/ScQ8eC-YI6I/AAAAAAAABNI/MtfMj7mcn_A/s400/Schwinn+Active+20.jpg

vogina
06-06-2009, 10:30 AM
I just got this. I can't wait for it to arrive (tomorrow):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oOTv1qxFgDQ/ScQ8eC-YI6I/AAAAAAAABNI/MtfMj7mcn_A/s400/Schwinn+Active+20.jpg

That looks kind of like mine. Be very aware about the seat and make sure you tighten all the nuts and bolts EXTREMELY tight so that it doesn't get loose.

mountmccabe
06-06-2009, 11:32 AM
My work just switched to four tens. This is going to make it more difficult for me to go to the gym. I will have to get better at going RIGHT AFTER I GET HOME FROM WORK. I need to have a snack before I leave work - which is not easy as I work in a lab and don't have food there. And I can't turn on my computer, even to look up just one thing. I'd be to the gym by 5, done a little after 6 (or earlier, depending on the workout) and ready to start worrying about dinner by quarter to 7.

The other option - which I tried on Tuesday - is to have an early dinner and work out after I give that time to digest. I could be done with dinner around 6 and be to the gym 7:30 or 8. After the workout I take a shower and it's time to start thinking about sleep.

mountmccabe
06-06-2009, 11:41 AM
But the main problem I have been having is that I can't get into any routine. I actually didn't workout for a three week stretch. There were a few shows in the way and 8 days out of town and such but still. Things kept getting in the way.

I have some good excuses lined up for the next month, too: sister getting married, going to LA, brother getting married in Jersey all on top of the aforementioned new work schedule. So I am not sure how I'm going to do.

boarderwoozel3
06-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Just got done swimming two miles.. Driving home in the rain and lightning was fun.

I'm going to have to start swimming more. My right knee cap has been feeling fucked up recently :/ the no impact aspect of swimming is an appealing one.

fatbastard
06-06-2009, 12:35 PM
But the main problem I have been having is that I can't get into any routine. I actually didn't workout for a three week stretch. There were a few shows in the way and 8 days out of town and such but still. Things kept getting in the way.

I have some good excuses lined up for the next month, too: sister getting married, going to LA, brother getting married in Jersey all on top of the aforementioned new work schedule. So I am not sure how I'm going to do.

Sister getting married: Loose weight off your face for photos!

Going to LA: Plenty of healthy options available. Look up places by where you'll be staying NOW!

Brother getting married in Jersey: Eat the salad, LEAVE the cannoli!

New work schedule: Write down the times of your current meal times and assign different meal times. Adjust according to what's/what's not available.

http://coachella.com/forum/group.php?groupid=26

fiyahhh!
06-06-2009, 12:38 PM
My work just switched to four tens. This is going to make it more difficult for me to go to the gym. I will have to get better at going RIGHT AFTER I GET HOME FROM WORK. I need to have a snack before I leave work - which is not easy as I work in a lab and don't have food there. And I can't turn on my computer, even to look up just one thing. I'd be to the gym by 5, done a little after 6 (or earlier, depending on the workout) and ready to start worrying about dinner by quarter to 7.

The other option - which I tried on Tuesday - is to have an early dinner and work out after I give that time to digest. I could be done with dinner around 6 and be to the gym 7:30 or 8. After the workout I take a shower and it's time to start thinking about sleep.

I know what you mean. I've been on four tens for about two and a half years now and getting to the gym after work can be a tall order sometimes. Like you, I can't snack at work so I usually have something with me that I can eat on the way to the gym that will give me quick, sustained energy (banana, yogurt, protein bar). I like your first option of gym and then dinner -- it eliminates the chance of just staying home after dinner. If the gym is something you do after work, it quickly becomes a part of your regular routine. Hopefully the regular exercise will help with your sleep schedule also. I know that when my first day off comes after the fourth ten, all I want to do is sleep all day. Good luck!

vogina
06-07-2009, 01:37 PM

It's always hard to get into a routine. The way I look at the situation your in is that you could workout before work, if it is timely, or like you said decide which of the two is best for you. Bottom line, eventually your body will adjust to anything you decide on. Just the sooner you choose the sooner your routine becomes just that; a routine.

I'm going to have to start swimming more. My right knee cap has been feeling fucked up recently :/ the no impact aspect of swimming is an appealing one.

Ya, but even swimming can damage your body. My left ankle always kills me after a swim. Because I have it is weaker than the other, it tends to get just as much as movement but not enough muscle to keep it in proper allignment.

mountmccabe
06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
It's always hard to get into a routine. The way I look at the situation your in is that you could workout before work, if it is timely, or like you said decide which of the two is best for you. Bottom line, eventually your body will adjust to anything you decide on. Just the sooner you choose the sooner your routine becomes just that; a routine.

I wish I could work out before work but I have to get up before 5 am as it stands.

But yeah, I need to try and make it more consistent. I am going to go for working out two times over my days off - aiming for mornings to get me up and doing useful things - and one to two times over Monday through Thursday. I am going to pick right after work for much the reason fiyahhh! noted; there's too much time to get distracted waiting for my dinner to digest.

vogina
06-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I am looking for a solid pair of running shoes. I am flat footed and would like to know what is the best kind; i.e gel padded, air sprung, arched, etc.

Just started running fairly routinely and want to keep my feet healthy, Lol

rskapcat
06-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm not able to run because of my back, so unfortunately I don't have any advice regarding running shoes. Check & see if there are any runner stores in your area. For example, Dallas has Run On, & the sales guys have you walk/run & tell you what type of shoe to get based on your gait.
I've just gotten back into belly dance, & boy do I suck! :p Good thing it's great exercise, because I need a LOT of practice before I get back into classes & dancing in front of others! Lol.

boarderwoozel3
06-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I feel your pain Becca. In the past few weeks I've had trouble with any strenuous cardio exercise thanks to a patella tendinitis flare-up in my right knee. Can't run, lift weights with my right leg, or play soccer. Shouldn't dance either although I've been ignoring that. It's a total drag. I'm going to try swimming.

karecares
06-20-2009, 04:06 PM
after i got sick i changed the way i ate from crappy vegetarian (can't digest so it broke up with me)to a Mediterranean diet by going to the nutritionist and learning portion sizes (huge difference btwn normal portions and restaurant and specifically what works to keep my inflammation low. also how to get more protein.

got a trainer twice a week for the past 5 years (gets written off on my taxes as a medical expense)

eat smaller and more frequently. carry almonds on you or some satiating healthy snack at work. avoid the food areas. at the hospital there are always cookies and cake and brownies and chocolate from patient families or other staff members who like to feed the thinner ppl (she admits this to be true)

obvious stairs instead of elevator. exercise in the morning is said to be best bc it revs up the metabolism early.

eat a lot of fruit and veggies. a lot more than most ppl consume i think.

brown rice instead of white. whole wheat/multigrain instead of white.

don't stop eating like this for a significant period of time bc it gets harder to get back into.

my sweet tooth is my albatross. so candy will kick off craves if i don't give in to them.
a little is enough and fends off a huge disaster of a pint of ben and jerrys etc.

alcohol to a minimum (hard time with this) this includes beer

drink ur water throughout the day. dehydration and hunger are often misinterpreted

elliemchale
07-05-2009, 06:40 PM

Feathers, beaks, talons, and all? Impressive.

elliemchale
07-05-2009, 06:41 PM
after i got sick i changed the way i ate from crappy vegetarian (can't digest so it broke up with me)to a Mediterranean diet by going to the nutritionist and learning portion sizes (huge difference btwn normal portions and restaurant and specifically what works to keep my inflammation low. also how to get more protein.

got a trainer twice a week for the past 5 years (gets written off on my taxes as a medical expense)

eat smaller and more frequently. carry almonds on you or some satiating healthy snack at work. avoid the food areas. at the hospital there are always cookies and cake and brownies and chocolate from patient families or other staff members who like to feed the thinner ppl (she admits this to be true)

obvious stairs instead of elevator. exercise in the morning is said to be best bc it revs up the metabolism early.

eat a lot of fruit and veggies. a lot more than most ppl consume i think.

brown rice instead of white. whole wheat/multigrain instead of white.

don't stop eating like this for a significant period of time bc it gets harder to get back into.

my sweet tooth is my albatross. so candy will kick off craves if i don't give in to them.
a little is enough and fends off a huge disaster of a pint of ben and jerrys etc.

alcohol to a minimum (hard time with this) this includes beer

drink ur water throughout the day. dehydration and hunger are often misinterpreted

How's that workin' out for ya, Karen?
PS. How are ya? Miss you.

boarderwoozel3
07-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Ecstasy isn't so great for your health. Nor does it help when you're trying to stick to a regular fitness regiment.

elliemchale
07-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Ecstasy isn't so great for your health. Nor does it help when you're trying to stick to a regular fitness regiment.

Don't lie. It's bad for your health.

boarderwoozel3
07-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Yep, I'd say horrible. But hot damn is it a good time!

elliemchale
07-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Yep, I'd say horrible. But hot damn is it a good time!

It's a fanfreakintastic time!!!!!!!

suprefan
07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Still an alias.......

elliemchale
07-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Still an alias.......

Um, what is an alias and why are y'all up in my jock!?

amyzzz
07-05-2009, 11:54 PM
One of the major reasons why I try not to roll that often anymore. (note the word "try" :p)

TomAz
11-16-2009, 11:20 AM
So I posted this over in the health social group but nobody goes there very often so I'll repost it here.

Hey so I think I've mentioned this before. I have workout mixes that I have carefully developed and revised and expanded over time and these mixes are what keep me going each day when I have to exercise. I have 30 mixes, one for every day of the month (well, most months) each an hour long, not a single song ever repeated and in fact a band is never used more than 3 times total across all 30 mixes. It has taken me over a year to get these to where they are today. I think it is an accomplishment.

I am considering posting all 30 on the board. Like one a day starting on December 1 or something. But if people ignore them I will get really grumpy. so. anyone have an interest or would I just be wasting my time?

boarderwoozel3
11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll take a look. And post a reaction to quantify my interest.

I've got to keep to my running schedule. As my school load increases my exercise decreases. Not good.

TheWatcher
11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I'll look at it.

HowToDisappear
11-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Do it, Tom.

BROKENDOLL
11-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I'd be interested, Tom. I mean, if just to see what other old people exercise to...:dumbo

theburiedlife
11-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I want to do some swimming. Anyone got some recommendations on goggles?

Was looking at speedo.

http://spdo.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pSPDO1-5454000p275w.jpg

Yes, those look like the vanquishers. I have a pair of those I use for training. Make sure they are tinted if you wanna swim during the day or outdoors.

theburiedlife
11-16-2009, 02:12 PM
I am looking for a solid pair of running shoes. I am flat footed and would like to know what is the best kind; i.e gel padded, air sprung, arched, etc.

Just started running fairly routinely and want to keep my feet healthy, Lol

I have a pair of brooks and they have lasted me for quite sometime. You def. need an arch in your foot so aim for then when discerning what padding you might like.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/products/123201/Guidance

theburiedlife
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
So this year I am training with my school's triathlon team. It is really advantageous for me since they train all levels of participants from beginners to those who participate in "Ironman's" a couple times a year. I'll link my weekly workout regimen that the coaches email to us. Because I haven't bought my road bike yet I supplement the time in Spin classes.

Hey team,

I hope you guys had a great weekend and enjoyed the festivities at Tri
Prom! Also, nice job to all that raced today!

So, this week will be another build week during our base phase. You
will notice that the track workouts for the foreseeable future will be
longer intervals at tempo pace.

Also, please keep bike tubes that you would otherwise throw away after
getting a flat. These are perfect to make bands for swimming out of. We
will start to incorporate band work into swim workouts about 3 weeks
from now!

Here is the plan for the week:

Monday:
1 hour core/weights – Coach Kenny RSF treadmills 8am (all groups)
1.5 hour max easy bike ride – Coach JD Kroeber 3pm (all groups)
1 hour threshold swim – Coach Dave and JD 8pm(all groups)

Tuesday:
Brick:
1.5 hour easy ride – Coach Charlie Kroeber 2 pm (all groups,
intermediates and beginners do 1 hour) Within ride include 4 x 30 sec
spin ups and 4 x 30 revolutions of one-legged pedaling(so 8 total with
1 minute rest between each set – 1 set = 30 rt and 30 lf leg)
1 hour hill run – Coach Kevin Kroeber 4pm (all groups)
15 warmup include drills and striders up to fire trail. MS: 3 x hill
repeats (from base of trail to base of connector, recovery jog down the
hill). These efforts are to be down no faster than 70% max effort
(PE(perceived effort): 5-6). Focus on maintaining good running form,
esp a powerful toe off and compact arm carriage, not speed up the hill.
15 minute c/d
Intermediate and Beginners: 2x hill repeats

Wednesday:
Easy 1 hour spin or 30 min run OYO (only for advanced and intermediate
and it’s optional)
30 min light core OYO (all groups)
30 min Introduction to cords before swim Spieker Pool– Coach JD 5:30pm
(all groups)
1 hour quality swim – Coaches Dave and JD Spieker 6pm (all groups)

Thursday:
1.25 hour spin before track – Coach JD 3pm (advanced, intermediate only
1 hour)
1 hour track – Coach Seth – Edwards 5pm (all groups)
Walk 1 lap Dynamic WU, 10-15’ WU, Stretch, 10 minutes drills, Straights
and turns 4 x 5' at tempo (80% effort); recovery = 3' (ez jog in Z1-2)
10' CD - gradually bring HR down to Z1/low Z2. Drills, Strides, Stretch
1 Hour Recovery Swim – Coaches Janet and JD (all groups)

Friday:
1 hour easy trail run – Coach Kenny Kroeber 7:50am (intermediate 50,
beginner 40)
1.5 hour recovery ride – Coach John Kroeber 3pm (all groups)

Saturday:
3.5 hour bike ride – Several ride leaders Kroeber 9am(intermediates cut
to 3, beginners 2.5 hours)

Sunday:
1 hr 20 minute long run – Coach Kenny Kroeber 9am (intermediate 1 hr 5
minutes, beginner 55 minutes)

2 hour strength swim – Coach JD - Spieker 12pm (intermediate and
beginners 1.5 hr) Please bring paddles and buoy if you have your own.

I am also nutrition-wise heavy on vegetable carbs and stressed for protein sources. Five months ago I switched to the pescatarian diet and have eliminated most of the cheap forms of protein. I need as part of my diet meals which consist of 40% protein 30% Carbs and 30% fat (Ideally) I also need to keep a healthy balance of sodium, water, potassium, and iron in me so I don't wear out.

Courtney
08-03-2010, 03:29 PM
AHEM. Paging Official Health, Exercise, Nutrition and More Group (http://coachella.com/forum/group.php?groupid=26) Members. SOS. SOS. Your advice is needed in the social group.

obzen
09-18-2010, 06:50 PM
I must've jogged 5 miles and I'm crushed.

Still, runner's high has kicked in, I feel good and I'm about to smoke half a spliff (because I need to chill on my weed intake) and see where the night takes me from there...