PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to LA? Don't!

JewFace
05-23-2009, 04:17 PM
NSFW: Language

hrI-28kOivU

SoulDischarge
05-23-2009, 04:22 PM
In all seriousness, fuck Los Angeles.

MissingPerson
05-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey, Wild Light have a song along those lines.

whynotsmile99
05-23-2009, 04:25 PM

why so bitter? LA is amazing

SoulDischarge
05-23-2009, 04:26 PM
If you're an asshole.

amyzzz
05-23-2009, 04:35 PM
If you're an asshole.
hahaha

whynotsmile99
05-23-2009, 04:38 PM
If you're an asshole.

c'mon, get specific. I'm always curious why people are so damn bitchy about LA. It's an incredible city if you got the time and money to explore it. and I really don't consider myself an asshole.

SoulDischarge
05-23-2009, 04:46 PM
It's an incredible city if you got . . . the money

That.

Also, it has horrible character, it's ugly, there aren't enough real trees (fuckface palm trees are a cop out), for every genuinely cool, fun thing to do, you have to deal with 50 lbs of bullshit to get to enjoy it, going to shows sucks because 90% of people are just out to be seen, if you can even get in because most of them sell out, the city is built on fucking strip malls, the parking/traffic tickets are outrageous and handed out with the liberalness of shitty DJ fliers, the infrastructure is unfathomably fucked up, driving is damned near impossible, relying on public transportation IS impossible, drinks are too expensive, there's very little variety to the weather, there's always at least one major natural disaster going on at any given time, no one in the entire fucking city knows how to make a pizza . . .

seandlr
05-23-2009, 05:01 PM
This is funny, about 30 minutes ago my friend and I were talking about moving down there

bmack86
05-23-2009, 05:09 PM
That.

Also, it has horrible character, it's ugly, there aren't enough real trees (fuckface palm trees are a cop out), for every genuinely cool, fun thing to do, you have to deal with 50 lbs of bullshit to get to enjoy it, going to shows sucks because 90% of people are just out to be seen, if you can even get in because most of them sell out, the city is built on fucking strip malls, the parking/traffic tickets are outrageous and handed out with the liberalness of shitty DJ fliers, the infrastructure is unfathomably fucked up, driving is damned near impossible, relying on public transportation IS impossible, drinks are too expensive, there's very little variety to the weather, there's always at least one major natural disaster going on at any given time, no one in the entire fucking city knows how to make a pizza . . .

I want to do a point by point contrast of this, but there are some good points. The infrastructure does suck and driving is horrible, as is public transit, but there are so many amazing things going on in LA. Most of the people I know who despise it either came from big cities on the east coast or San Francisco, and expect something different out of a city. LA isn't like those, and it'd be boring if it were, because there's already one New York and one San Francisco and so on and so on.

miscorrections
05-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Bryan. You're in New Zealand. Get off the internet and herd some sheep or visit Saruman or something.

miscorrections
05-23-2009, 05:12 PM
If you do the second you can talk to a moth and ride an eagle. Just sayin'.

SoulDischarge
05-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I can appreciate the good things about LA. I just don't think it's worth the hassle to get to those good things. You can have much more fun for way cheaper in other cities.

bmack86
05-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Bryan. You're in New Zealand. Get off the internet and herd some sheep or visit Saruman or something.

I've not slept in 30 hours and I'm waiting for my check-in at the Hostel so I can take a nap. And, i've been wandering the city for 6 hours and it's really cold out right now.

Pixiessp
05-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Well....I lived in LA for exactly 3 months. I didn't give it much of a chance.

It almost seemed like there was a layer of grime looming over it.

The video is hilarious.

frazzles
05-23-2009, 05:44 PM
I'd much rather be in Los Angeles than Louisiana, which is where I am now. I remember how I wanted to just leave the So Cal vibe far behind and thought that it was the worst place in the world (like many then-17 year olds thought in their UNGODLY suburban sprawls). Dear God, only time I make it back to that part of the country is in late April.

Fucking Air Force...Why couldn't I have been at least at the base in Washington?

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Ha ha. hilarious.

frozen pilgrim
05-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm very seriously considering splitting my time half and half between toronto and the san fernando valley

JustSteve
05-23-2009, 06:35 PM
that's why you live outiside of l.a. and only go there when necessary. i have not one complaint about where i live. if i want to see a show i just leave a little later, usually after 7pm, and i am to the sunset strip or hollywood blvd., etc. in 45 minutes. there is also the glasshouse in pomona where many smaller bands playing in l.a. end up at before or after. the vibe there is perfect. why do you think paul t. goes there when he wants to see a show and feel the true vibe of the band/crowd?

Courtney
05-23-2009, 07:09 PM
I want to do a point by point contrast of this, but there are some good points. The infrastructure does suck and driving is horrible, as is public transit, but there are so many amazing things going on in LA. Most of the people I know who despise it either came from big cities on the east coast or San Francisco, and expect something different out of a city. LA isn't like those, and it'd be boring if it were, because there's already one New York and one San Francisco and so on and so on.

I agree with this.

The only people I know who hate Los Angeles are people who are too lazy to go seek out all the awesomeness that the city contains. I love LA.

vinylmartyr
05-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I been to all those places.

zenidogx
05-23-2009, 07:22 PM
that's why you live outiside of l.a. and only go there when necessary. i have not one complaint about where i live. if i want to see a show i just leave a little later, usually after 7pm, and i am to the sunset strip or hollywood blvd., etc. in 45 minutes. there is also the glasshouse in pomona where many smaller bands playing in l.a. end up at before or after. the vibe there is perfect. why do you think paul t. goes there when he wants to see a show and feel the true vibe of the band/crowd?

mmhmm. Orange County is quite nice. Living down the street from Disneyland, several blocks from an Angel game, and having the option of venturing out to LA, Pomona, or even SD is awesome. Plus, the beaches are clean.

bakersfield
05-23-2009, 07:41 PM
I love LA too.
I can see how it would not be for everyone...
but to me, the So Cal culture is hard to beat.

paulb
05-23-2009, 07:48 PM
that video wont stop me from moving to LA this year

bleep
05-23-2009, 07:53 PM
i'm on Team LA too. love it. sure there are shitty people like in any metropolitan city, but i do my best to avoid them.

SDsoldier7
05-23-2009, 08:31 PM
San Diego is 10x better than LA.

paulb
05-23-2009, 08:34 PM
has 10x more douchebags maybe...

Daft Fro
05-23-2009, 08:59 PM
="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/452tlm8ViKM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/452tlm8ViKM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boourns
05-23-2009, 09:06 PM
That.

agreed on most accounts, except...
1. weather - having stable weather is a good thing. Sudden weather changes fuck with the immunity system. It still happens on occasion here, though. But yeah, fuck snow and fuck ice. Anyone can just take a two hour drive up Big Bear and enjoy it there and not have to deal with getting to work/school/play in it.
2. pizza - actually, I agree. But it's not an issue of not knowing how to make a pizza. Rather, it is physically impossible to duplicate an epic New York pizza because of the different chemicals in our water versus theirs. And also the ovens used to make them are illegal now, even in New York. Unless they were grandfathered in, which is why people in the know go to the pizzerias in NYC that have been around since the early 20th century and not the new ones.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-23-2009, 09:13 PM
That.

man, you sound like such an asshole yourself with a post like this

SoulDischarge
05-23-2009, 09:20 PM
1. weather - having stable weather is a good thing. Sudden weather changes fuck with the immunity system. It still happens on occasion here, though. But yeah, fuck snow and fuck ice. Anyone can just take a two hour drive up Big Bear and enjoy it there and not have to deal with getting to work/school/play in it.

I'm not the biggest fan of winter. In fact, it's downright hellish at times. But spring, summer, and fall are all fucking gorgeous, make up for the agony of winter, and are in fact enhanced by the 5 months of freezing that precede them. Living in SoCal, you learn to take the nice weather for granted and it doesn't mean much. In the Midwest, summer is fucking sacred. You might get the same temperatures in LA, but you'll never get 1/100th of the atmosphere, electricity, and weird unspoken mythology of a Midwest summer. And autumn in SoCal is even more depressing than the entirety of our winters.

For the record, it's not just L.A. I can't stand, it's the entirety of Southern California. In fact, L.A. is the best part of the entire area, but that's not saying much.

JustSteve
05-23-2009, 09:49 PM

the best is snowboarding at sunrise and surfing at sunset, followed by a nice bonfire. it honestly doesn't get any better than that. period.

whynotsmile99
05-23-2009, 09:51 PM
="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/452tlm8ViKM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/452tlm8ViKM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nice! seeing em tomorrow

Boourns
05-23-2009, 09:52 PM
I still have never been snowboarding or skiing :(

See, that's another good thing about LA. Being within driving distance of different environments without having to live in them. Obviously, the ocean, but also the mountains (which are snowy in the winter...bonus) and the desert (Coachella, anyone?).

Alchemy
05-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I've been to a lot of place in the continental United States, but I have yet to step foot in L.A. for some reason... I only ever go as far as Coachella, but I've been to San Diego and San Francisco. San Francisco is one of my favorite places in the world, along with New York City, El Paso, and Coachella.

I wonder if the people who hate L.A. would like to live in El Paso? It doesn't have nearly as many things as L.A. (but we do get the occasional Deerhunter, Animal Collective, and free Beck show), but one thing is for sure, you don't need any money to live here or to do things here. If you are lower class in El Paso, you are probably living the equivalent of upper-middle class in L.A.

Also, New York Pizza is only found in New York, I agree. El Paso has a good imposter, but it doesn't cut it.

Boourns
05-23-2009, 10:04 PM
What we need is a city that is affordable, gets all the bands, has lots of other things to do, and public transportation can get anyone anywhere quickly.

SoulDischarge
05-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Chicago.

JustSteve
05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
no.

Boourns
05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Too hot in the summer; too freezing in the winter. No ocean. They get more shows than most places, but still not as many as NY-LA-SF. But then again, they have two music festivals. Is it affordable, though?

fatbastard
05-23-2009, 10:18 PM
If only all the people from other states/counties would go back home.

TomAz
05-23-2009, 10:29 PM
I want to live in an idyllic location that no one else wants to live in so that the rents are low. 72 degrees, breezy, with ocean and mountains, and Pavement reunions every weekend. but cheap rents.

fatbastard
05-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I've always wanted to go to Arizona. I always think of the song Albuquerque by the Partridge Family when thinking of AZ.

emtgreg
This thread makes me want to move to LA more. Now if I could only find a job in Music so I can pay bills...

I'm looking at you GV...

Actually, I'm looking at AEG, but really, you know :)

emtgreg
Oh, and I live in San Luis Obispo, I grew up in the San Fransisco Bay Area, and I wish to live no where else but LA. I could possibly settle for the OC, but I would rather not...

fatbastard
05-23-2009, 10:40 PM
There's plenty of people to scoop up off the streets over here emtgreg.

Boourns
05-23-2009, 10:42 PM
This thread makes me want to move to LA more. Now if I could only find a job in Music so I can pay bills...

I'm looking at you GV...

Actually, I'm looking at AEG, but really, you know :)

Good luck. Looking for a job in music myself but it's a lost cause because you're fucked unless you have serious connections.

bmack86
05-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I hope to have a job in the music biz in a few years. Law degree should help.

sonofhal
05-24-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm considering a move to Memphis,
That's Memphis, Tennessee.
It worked for Elvis Presley,
Why can't it work for me?

bmack86
05-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Im considering a move to L.A!
(he's considering a move to L.A.!)

suprefan
05-24-2009, 01:33 AM
So has that chick moved out of l.a. since she hates it so much? Or was she sent as an ambassador for all the low life hicks in the underbelly that is (certain parts of) the midwest?

btw

_lpxPUbn8y8

SoulDischarge
05-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Or was she sent as an ambassador for all the low life hicks in the underbelly that is (certain parts of) the midwest?

We will eat you alive and use your bones for toothpicks.

sbessiso
05-24-2009, 06:11 AM
There's no possible way it's any worse than Miami. FACT

biggfoot17
05-24-2009, 08:01 AM
I love so cal in general. There's so much shit to do, its insane. The fact that a two hour drive (depending on traffic) is all that seperates me from pretty much anything I could possibly want is pretty hard to top.

I've always wanted to go to Arizona. I always think of the song Albuquerque by the Partridge Family when thinking of AZ.
Ummm....what?

Courtney
05-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Charming, Steve.

Although my friend was just hired by MTV for a fairly interesting position with zero experience and not even a college diploma, so I think there is some truth in the rack factor.

JustSteve
05-24-2009, 09:27 AM
i deleted the post because of that "charm" factor before your reply posted, whoops...although it is very, very true, unfortunately.

ivankay
05-24-2009, 09:35 AM
So has that chick moved out of l.a. since she hates it so much? Or was she sent as an ambassador for all the low life hicks in the underbelly that is (certain parts of) the midwest?

i do believe it was a comedy bit. According to the description the clip was being used for a roast of someone leaving Chicago to move out here. All the things she was bitching about (except the shit) were cool things about L.A. i suspect she enjoys a lot.

TheWatcher
05-24-2009, 09:38 AM
I love so cal in general. There's so much shit to do, its insane. The fact that a two hour drive (depending on traffic) is all that seperates me from pretty much anything I could possibly want is pretty hard to top.

Ummm....what?

Um, it's that "depending on traffic" thing that is the major negative of being in LA.

Courtney
05-24-2009, 09:55 AM
i do believe it was a comedy bit. According to the description the clip was being used for a roast of someone leaving Chicago to move out here. All the things she was bitching about (except the shit) were cool things about L.A. i suspect she enjoys a lot.

That was my impression too. But then I thought maybe this is like the inkblot test of youtubes: if you like LA, you will think she likes it too, but if you don't like LA then you will think she dislikes it.

morelifefucker
05-24-2009, 11:17 AM
We may not have the best pizza but we def got the best burritos and tacos.
Had lots of friends that moved away from l.a. but they always come back.

pancakespancakes
05-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I will also join the Fuck LA Team. Not that I'm a big fan of San Diego either, though, but at least we have room to breathe down here.

I still think California is the finest state of them all. But not for the cities...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
I would move to LA in a heartbeat given the chance....

fatbastard
05-24-2009, 08:09 PM

Ummm....what?

Reply to TomAZ. Reference was before your time.

Here's another one, Room 222.

BlackSwan
05-24-2009, 09:00 PM
CZO3rcZIiRo

casey
05-25-2009, 06:46 AM
i moved to LA from SF last july and i hated it. what souldischarge says, i completely would have agreed with a year ago. i mean, all of that still holds true in a way but i will say that LA is growing on me a lot. once i met cool people and started actually doing research on LA, finding out where the low key places are and when "good" actually means "good" and not "good place to be seen", LA kinda opened up for me. since about january i've enjoyed living in LA more, and it seems to be growing.

i grew up in/around SF so i never had trouble adjusting to it, but people who transplant there always say it's a really hard city to get to know people right away, and that it takes a year to adjust and find your way. i would agree that the same is true for LA and probably any major city. there is so much to do, and if you ask any person what their perfect day in the city is, you're likely to get a different answer each time. it's up to you to make sure you seek out cool places, enjoy your life and where you're living it.

shermanoaksyo
05-25-2009, 08:14 AM
I love how SFers like to pretend that they live in some kind of super-accessible urban utopia when Muni is every bit as crappy as L.A.'s Metro.

Casa Bianca Pizza Pie in Eagle Rock.

If you hate L.A. please please please leave. Arizona is that way ------>

gaypalmsprings
05-25-2009, 08:47 AM
http://th07.deviantart.com/fs11/300W/i/2006/221/2/9/Hella_Kitty_by_Suffice.jpg

bakersfield
05-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Oh, and I live in San Luis Obispo, I grew up in the San Fransisco Bay Area, and I wish to live no where else but LA. I could possibly settle for the OC, but I would rather not...

I graduated from Poly. Oh how I miss SLO town!

miscorrections
05-25-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry, but as someone who grew up in AG, that whole area is good to visit but terrible to come back and live in.

Jagh20
05-25-2009, 08:43 PM
San Diego is 10x better than LA.

No, no, it is not...its kind of like hell...but with alot more Bro's:

3 examples-

1. "Happy Happens" is the offcial motto

2. Sandal tans

3. Old guy at the store when on the way to NINJA:
"Nothing really happens in San Diego......and thats the way we like it."

Bonus Fact: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/programs/phs/documents/EMS-SuicideReport1995-2004.pdf

Suicide is the #1 cause of non-natual death...:confused:
It beat out tough competition...Motor accidents, drug overdoses, murder by fire...

No weed stores either....

Still-ill
05-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Being an audio engineer(student) Im pretty much bound to LA or NYC as long as I live. But I must say I love living in LA, and California in general. There is a whole lot more to do here than the majority of cities in the US.

Mr.Nipples
05-25-2009, 08:52 PM
http://www.majorleaguewiffleball.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/tommy_lasorda_mlw.jpg

PlayaDelWes
05-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Bonus Fact: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/programs/phs/documents/EMS-SuicideReport1995-2004.pdf

It beat out tough competition...Motor accidents, drug overdoses, murder by fire...

GREAT FIND!!! That is the most interesting report.

The chart on page 1 (PDF page 8) is a trip.

PlayaDelWes
05-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I suggest if you don’t like diversity, you probably wouldn’t like LA.

If you are open to new things and open to understanding the unfamiliar, you may enjoy the diverse set of:

Food
Jobs
Music
Nationalities
Arts
Sports
Ages
Ethnicities
Microclimates
Universities
Shopping
Landscapes

That LA has to offer.

Only thing that is not diverse is the weather. I can see how some people would prefer 4 seasons.

pancakespancakes
05-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I do love the diversity of LA. I just can't stand most of the people, I guess. Not the people themselves, but peoples' relationships to one another. Everyone is so distant and cold. I suppose this is the norm with cities of this size, but I think California has done something of it's own here.

I'm amazed how much time I still spend up there...

zenidogx
05-25-2009, 09:18 PM
LA's a shithole.
e41ygKJ3ABk
But it's an irresistible shithole.

pancakespancakes
05-25-2009, 09:23 PM
LA's a shithole.

But it's an irresistible shithole.

Actually....... this pretty much sums up my feelings right here.

dorkfish
05-25-2009, 09:37 PM
From what I've noticed, people who grew up in the Los Angeles area usually have a stronger undying love for LA than people who grew up in the Bay Area have for the Bay Area, and they also rarely move outside of the area. People from outside of Los Angeles and the Bay Area, but who are small town California residents seem to prefer living in the Bay Area given the choice of the two, and especially after having lived in both.

LA had some fun things when I was living there. I also wasn't mentally able to cope with rush hour traffic or having to get on the freeways to go anywhere to do anything. 90 minutes to go 13 miles was a bit much for my liking.

LA does have the despicably delicious Tommy Burgers, though.

The LA Metro is way edgier than the MUNI/BART as a whole. The SF MUNI/BART is pretty laid back for the most part.

LA homeless were cooler than the SF homeless. Less annoying, as well.

PlayaDelWes
05-25-2009, 09:58 PM
The LA Metro is way edgier than the MUNI/BART as a whole. The SF MUNI/BART is pretty laid back for the most part.

QFT. Those MetroRapid busses are relentless. They run redlights, cut you off, and I've seen them pick up passangers without stopping. Not chill.
http://xingcolumbus.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/800px-long_los_angeles_metro_rapid_bus_2008-04-17.jpg

LA homeless were cooler than the SF homeless. Less annoying, as well. QFT. I once was attacked by a bloody homeless lady while I was eating at a Cafe in SFO. That was annoying.

ThomThom
05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I fucking love Los Angeles and could never see myself living anywhere else... But I am quite an asshole.

jazzz
05-25-2009, 10:47 PM
No, no, it is not...its kind of like hell...but with alot more Bro's:

3 examples-

1. "Happy Happens" is the offcial motto

2. Sandal tans

3. Old guy at the store when on the way to NINJA:
"Nothing really happens in San Diego......and thats the way we like it."

No weed stores either....

San Diego is a much better place. I lived them both

Talk about bros!?
Torrance,Redondo,Venice,Hermosa, Marina Del Ray etc. all have got more sandal bros then all of Ca combined.
Plus you have to deal with all the other LA shit like Celeb VIP fake enhanced wannabes tanning booth communities oh my Band! coldplay motherfuckers!

For music we have plenty of options if your in the know! Usually all within walking or trolley distance!

boarderwoozel3
05-26-2009, 12:42 AM
You can't walk anywhere. That sucks. The whole thing seems like one big strip mall. That also sucks.

At this point in my life. Living in an decently dense urban area that has everything I need--20 minute bus to U dub--within a 10 minute walking radius is perfect.

And it's 95% bro free with plenty if gays :)

fatbastard
05-26-2009, 04:04 AM
http://www.majorleaguewiffleball.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/tommy_lasorda_mlw.jpg

I love you Tommy Lasagna!

TallGuyCM
05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
San Diego is a much better place. I lived them both

Talk about bros!?
Torrance,Redondo,Venice,Hermosa, Marina Del Ray etc. all have got more sandal bros then all of Ca combined.

No, Hermosa = Pacific Beach, but not as bad. And Redondo is waayyy more laid back and less pretentious than Mission Beach, if you're gonna make comparisons.

I would hate to actually live IN l.a., but I grew up in Torrance/Palos Verdes and now live in Redondo Beach and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm a half hour south of all the L.A. craziness, but can be at a show in downtown/Hollywood in no time. Most people that love L.A. really don't live there, but rather live in the more attractive surrounding communities.

You can't say San Diego is a "much better place"...music-wise especially. Shit music scene, shit music venues, and bands ALWAYS play L.A. and often times skip San Diego.

Just the fact that almost anyone who tours plays an L.A. show is reason enough to live here. Call me when SD has a Troubadour/Spaceland/Echo-like music venue.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Being an audio engineer(student) Im pretty much bound to LA or NYC as long as I live. But I must say I love living in LA, and California in general. There is a whole lot more to do here than the majority of cities in the US.

where are you going to school? i'm an audio monkey myself...graduated from CSUN and got most of my real training on the job.

miscorrections
05-26-2009, 09:38 PM
The Casbah is pretty good for music here (San Diego). Lots of good shows, nice and tiny. I've found that the people there to be seen mostly stay outside and smoke, too, so the only people inside are the ones who actually care. Score.

RotationSlimWang
05-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I suggest if you don’t like diversity, you probably wouldn’t like LA.

If you are open to new things and open to understanding the unfamiliar, you may enjoy the diverse set of:

Food
Jobs
Music
Nationalities
Arts
Sports
Ages
Ethnicities
Microclimates
Universities
Shopping
Landscapes

That LA has to offer.

Only thing that is not diverse is the weather. I can see how some people would prefer 4 seasons.

Food? LA has the most inedible food of any major US metropolitan area.

Jobs? I dunno what job market you're looking at, but I know a fuckload of people out of work. Unless you work in reality TV.

Music? Sure. LA owns on that front, although all the LA local bands fucking suck, but luckily all the actually good bands have to come here.

Nationalities? Like anyone actually likes other nationalities.

Arts? Seriously? Trying to sell LA as an art center? Let's not all start sucking each others' cocks over the fucking Getty, alright. Cultural oasis it is not.

Ethnicities? Same thing as nationalities effectively--once again, who wants 'em?

Microclimates? You mean those tiny little pockets of actual climates that change tucked into the corners of this big overwhelming cloud of warm smoggy air?

Universities? Please. This place is too soft to truly educate anyone. they have two significant universities in a 12 million person population. Boston would piss all over it.

Shopping? Sure, if you like dressing like an overpriced asshole.

Landscapes? Okay, sure. I love the mountains behind my apartment. I guess that's a nice side effect of paving the fucking desert and creating nothing worth looking at actually IN the city.

BlackSwan
05-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Five-star post... Would read again.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-26-2009, 09:53 PM

Jobs? I dunno what job market you're looking at, but I know a fuckload of people out of work. Unless you work in reality TV.

Music? Sure. LA owns on that front, although all the LA local bands fucking suck, but luckily all the actually good bands have to come here.

Arts? Seriously? Trying to sell LA as an art center? Let's not all start sucking each others' cocks over the fucking Getty, alright. Cultural oasis it is not.

Ethnicities? Same thing as nationalities effectively--once again, who wants 'em?

Microclimates? You mean those tiny little pockets of actual climates that change tucked into the corners of this big overwhelming cloud of warm smoggy air?

Universities? Please. This place is too soft to truly educate anyone. they have two significant universities in a 12 million person population. Boston would piss all over it.

Landscapes? Okay, sure. I love the mountains behind my apartment. I guess that's a nice side effect of paving the fucking desert and creating nothing worth looking at actually IN the city.

this sounds like something said by someone who has never left their apartment and knows nothing about the city they live in

RotationSlimWang
05-26-2009, 10:01 PM
... you live in fucking Sun Valley. How you possibly have an upbeat opinion of the place is beyond me.

This is what irritates me about LA more than anything else--not the bitching, the brainless defense. Everyone has to jump up to get LA's fucking back once they've lived there a few years or god forbid they're actually born and raised, jesus christ. Even in New York, which has the advantage on LA in just about every single one of those categories, you're still supposed to complain about it.

It's called not being a brainless complacent piece of shit. Why don't you just move all the way up to Canyon Country and continue to sing LA's praises from a deeper armpit of hell?

Courtney
05-26-2009, 10:05 PM

I'm not going to respond to most of this, but as a former museum-worker and current art writer for several local and national publications, I will say that Los Angeles can justifiably be called an emerging contemporary art capital for the country. The burgeoning gallery scenes in Chinatown and Culver City combined with some reputable young art nonprofits (LACE, LAXART, etc) and lots of eager art students from local schools like CalArts creates a pretty vibrant community for contemporary art. And I haven't even touched on the more established museum scene.

PlayaDelWes
05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Arts doesn't just mean museum.

I'm not surprised that someone complaining about diversity can only name the cliché examples.

WizardIsAboutToDie
05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Bay area blows us away in most if not all of those categories.

I know I'm piling on, but if you're not here for the beach/weather or the Industry, I think you're just kidding yourself.

RotationSlimWang
05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey Court, how many of your favorite artists came out of LA?

Playa, how about you name the vehicle for art in which LA is impressive, if not museums?

RotationSlimWang
05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
The bay area sucks even more shit. You guys really need to stop kidding yourself.

BlackSwan
05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Randy, where is best place to live?

RotationSlimWang
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Nowhere really. Couple places in Europe that might be nice. NY has the best of everything but is annoying as shit. Philly is like NY but miniaturized. Everything on the west coast blows because people are pussies and nothing's old. Boston's pretty fucking awesome, colder than a witch's tit though.

PlayaDelWes
05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
This thread isn't about other places. It's about LA. Of course every other city in the world has something to offer that LA doesn't.

I'm certainly here for the weather. I grew up in San Diego, school in Santa Barbara, lived in LA 10 years and now live in Thousand Oaks. Chances are I will never live more than 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean and no further North than Isla Vista. I'd settle down in San Diego, but the job market there is poor and focused on bio-tech, defense, and tourism. Sure I can get a job in finance down there, but my salary would be half it is here. Instead, I can make a conservative living and visit San Diego anytime I wish.

Not really here for the beaches. I don't mind them, but SD & SB have more to offer.

Here for the industry? No way. It's certainly entertaining, but I'd never get wrapped up in it.

Kidding myself? No way. I like to visit other cities, but I'll never say any of them suck (except for maybe Houston).

BlackSwan
05-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Nowhere really. Couple places in Europe that might be nice. NY has the best of everything but is annoying as shit. Philly is like NY but miniaturized. Everything on the west coast blows because people are pussies and nothing's old. Boston's pretty fucking awesome, colder than a witch's tit though.

As yes, spoken like a man who has journeyed to the far reaches of this unforgiving earth. How many times have you left North America, and where have you gone?

This thread isn't about other places. It's about LA. Of course every other city in the world has something to offer that LA doesn't.

Shut the fuck up... LA clearly sucks. If we want to talk about some place cool then let's talk about NY and how much better it is than LA.

RotationSlimWang
05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
You grew up in SD, went to school in SB, and live in TO. Your opinion of places counts for absolutely shite. TO was one of the worst places I've ever had to live.

PlayaDelWes
05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
You grew up in SD, went to school in SB, and live in TO. Your opinion of places counts for absolutely shite. TO was one of the worst places I've ever had to live.

Considering I have lived in the four places I mentioned, how does my opinion of those four places count for absolutely shite?

BlackSwan
05-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Frame of reference... It matters.

PlayaDelWes
05-26-2009, 11:20 PM

If your fuckload of people can’t get work here, I doubt they can get work fuckwhere else.

No way can you argue that LA doesn't have a diverse job market. If one industry fails, the city is not going to fail. Take Seattle for example. 3 companies don't do well; the entire economy goes down the drain. LA is not reliant on any one industry or any three companies. People are hiring left and right. People are relocating from other cities to work here.

- Largest manufacturing center in the US
- 2nd to Detroit, produces more cars than any other US metro area
- Nations largest port and distribution network
- One of the largest banking and finance cities in the US
- Leading aerospace firms
- Entertainment of course
- Tourism
- The largest apparel design and manufacturing center in the US

The list goes on and on.

WTF does reality TV have to do with shit?

RotationSlimWang
05-26-2009, 11:30 PM
You're talking about a fucking 30 million person metropolitan area, not one city. Of course Southern California as a whole has a diverse job market, you fucking putz.

Largest manufacturing center? Manufacturing of what exactly? This sounds made up.

Largest apparel design and manufacturing? This is absolutely made up. No way in hell there's more fashion in LA than in NY.

"One of the largest banking and finance cities in the US." Well it had fucking well better be considering that it's in the two largest cities in the US period.

Almost every city has tourism.

Produces more cars than anywhere except that place that's making so many cars the entire city is practically in foreclosure? Yeah, sounds like the kind of job diversity I want.

The only thing that really distinguishes LA from the rest of US cities is the entertainment business. And that there is bullshit.

Wheres the beef?
05-26-2009, 11:32 PM
- Largest manufacturing center in the US
- 2nd to Detroit, produces more cars than any other US metro area
- Nations largest port and distribution network
- One of the largest banking and finance cities in the US
- Leading aerospace firms
- Entertainment of course
- Tourism
- The largest apparel design and manufacturing center in the US

The list goes on and on.

WTF does reality TV have to do with shit?

I have never seen a "Made in Los Angeles" tag on any article of clothing. Ever.

Mr. Dylanja
05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
You think GayConfess is a donkey here, you should see him in the NBA thread...

BROKENDOLL
05-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Randy, where is best place to live?
As if the opinion of someone from Jersey even counts...:puke

wstsidela
05-27-2009, 12:04 AM
fuckin' video

SoulDischarge
05-27-2009, 03:10 AM
LA sucks because the majority of the people living there haven't had to deal with enduring a full winter in years upon years, if ever. Constant sunshine and optimism rots the brain.

Courtney
05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Hey Court, how many of your favorite artists came out of LA?

Considering that most of my favorite artists are dead and from European cities well past their cultural peak, I'm not sure that my personal taste is particularly relevant in this matter. I'm talking about an emerging art capitol, not crumbling cities which once a long time ago had an exciting art scene.

But nonetheless, Los Angeles does have a very respectable local art scene, starting in the 1950s and moving forward. Read anything on the history of Walter Hopps and the Ferus Gallery to get a sense of the historical importance of the LA scene. Artists like Ed Kienholz, Billy Al Bengston, Ed Moses, Robert Irwin, Larry Bell, John Baldessari and Ed Ruscha are all considered part of that LA school. More recently, artists like Chris Burden, Mike Kelley, Paul McCarthy and Andrea Zittel all call Los Angeles home.

The Hammer Museum at UCLA tends of have an LA-centric exhibition schedule, so that's a good place to see some phenomenal local contemporary art if there's any question.

BlackSwan
05-27-2009, 08:13 AM

I have... In fact, the shirt I am wearing right now was made in LA. LA still sucks.

Courtney
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM

I was going to respond to this. But then I realized it would mean admitting that I shop at American Apparel. Not to mention that American Apparel is super skeezy and probably not a Los Angeles asset to be bragged about.

bremex
05-27-2009, 08:33 AM
San Diego is way better. LA is too dirty.

Principal Onyx Blackman
05-27-2009, 08:39 AM
"LA's art scene."

That exists?

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 09:11 AM
unless you really know deep down in your heart that you're "gonna make it" as david cross says, why on earth would anyone move to LA?!?! i understand growing up there and staying, but it baffles my mind that people would choose to move somewhere so expensive that's such a hassle to drive around in. yes you have nice weather and lots of concerts. but i can travel to enjoy both of those things and still live somewhere where my dollar has some buying power.

don't get me wrong, i certainly wouldn't choose to move to phoenix, but i'm a native. i stay for the comfort of knowing that at 2am if i'm stranded on the side of the road i always have someone to call for help and my knowledge of the streets & freeways :p

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I have... In fact, the shirt I am wearing right now was made in LA. LA still sucks.

I was going to respond to this. But then I realized it would mean admitting that I shop at American Apparel. Not to mention that American Apparel is super skeezy and probably not a Los Angeles asset to be bragged about.

Hahahahaha

biggfoot17
05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
you want to talk about shitty cities, talk about phoenix. that place sucks

BlackSwan
05-27-2009, 09:25 AM

To be clear, the shirt I am wearing is not from American Apparel.

ShyGuy75
05-27-2009, 09:40 AM
SoulDischarge, i'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong about most everything you posted in this thread if you tried. actually, not most everything, just EVERYTHING. it would take too long to run down the list, and you seem very dead set on hating LA so it would be a waste of time. I would like to touch on the most ignorant point you spewed..."they don't have real trees". are you fcking retarded? have you ever really been here? there are neighborhoods that have streets lined specifically with only one kind of tree. southern california (not Rage in West Hollywood) is the most naturistic place in the US.

maybe you are just too self conscious of yourself when you are out here. i see it a lot in people who visit. they think that "the scene" is here...boo scene!... when in reality, it only exists in their mind. if its a money issue, good luck living anywhere "cool" with not enough money to enjoy said "cool" city.

wang, you can shut the fck up too. you live in the valley and have never been to the ocean in 3 years of living here. your opinion is null and void.

MissingPerson
05-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Lot of band hoodies are American Apparel, and I find them both cozy and Made In Los Angelestastic.

bremex
05-27-2009, 09:46 AM
I love your signature, my little http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/5/5c/ShyGuyMSS.PNG/215px-ShyGuyMSS.PNG

SoulDischarge
05-27-2009, 09:46 AM
(not Rage in West Hollywood)

Way to go for the low blow.

PlayaDelWes
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
This sounds made up.

This is absolutely made up. No way in hell...

The only thing that really distinguishes LA from the rest of US cities is the entertainment business.

Clearly you don't know enough and don't want to know enough to make real arguments.

http://www.laedc.org/reports/LAStats-2008.pdf

Page 37
Manufacturing: #1 earning industry
Motion Pictures or Entertainment: Not even top 10

Page 26
Cost to live in DC, Boston, or SFO are all higher than LA
Relative to avg. household income, even PHX (85%) and Seattle (87%) are more expense to live in than LA (80%)

Page 30
Fashion Design, Mfg. & Wholesaling - Top 10 export

Clearly you know nothing.

real talk
05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I have had so much fun the times I have visited LA, but that might be for the fact that the people I know that live there are awesome and always have something fun going on. I wouldn't want to live there because I'm just generally uncomfortable in sun/heat but Santa Monica/Brentwood/Playa del Rey have been gorgeous and interesting places to visit and hang out.

TomAz
05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
4PX9YS1aYKQ

ShyGuy75
05-27-2009, 09:56 AM
it was more of a fun jab

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2009, 09:57 AM
southern california (not Rage in West Hollywood) is the most naturistic place in the US.

If by naturistic, you mean pavement as far as the eye can see, then yes.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 10:02 AM
phoenix is not more expensive to live than LA. that is just wrong. i'd love to see someone in LA get a 1 bedroom apartment with a roman tub, washer & dryer, dishwasher, fireplace, etc. with a mountain view for under $1000.

i remember last time i was out there, randy's roommate telling him they'd found a great place for "only" $1800. you'd be living in a palace in phoenix for that price. plus, i looked up online what i'd need to earn in LA to have the same cost of living that i have hear and you'd have to add to my salary half of what i make now just to be even.

santa monica/venice/playa del rey is pretty. i just know that the people i know who live there either live in hovels or palaces; i haven't seen much of the in between. i love those canals though and if you take advantage of the beach, i'm sure it's worth the price/lack of ammenities. i know it's perfect for my girlfriend who likes to meditate on the beach everyday, but she sure doesn't enjoy spending time in her tiny apartment, that's for sure.

ShyGuy75
05-27-2009, 10:04 AM
kingsblend, you show once again that you know nothing. yes, shocking. there are nature/canyons/hiking trails/mountains/greenery/ocean for as far as the eye can see.

some of the blasts that so. cal gets are valid. not being naturistic enough is not one of them.

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
kingsblend, you show once again that you know nothing. yes, shocking. there are nature/canyons/hiking trails/mountains/greenery/ocean for as far as the eye can see.

some of the blasts that so. cal gets are valid. not being naturistic enough is not one of them.

:rolleyes

PlayaDelWes
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
phoenix is not more expensive to live than LA. that is just wrong. i'd love to see someone in LA get a 1 bedroom apartment with a roman tub, washer & dryer, dishwasher, fireplace, etc. with a mountain view for under $1000.

It's relative to income. Phoenix is more expensive to live in than LA. It's obvious you spend less in PHX (primarily on housing), but your incomes are 89% of what they would be in LA, but you spend 95% of what people in LA spend.

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2009, 10:13 AM

i remember last time i was out there, randy's roommate telling him they'd found a great place for "only" $1800. you'd be living in a palace in phoenix for that price. plus, i looked up online what i'd need to earn in LA to have the same cost of living that i have hear and you'd have to add to my salary half of what i make now just to be even.

santa monica/venice/playa del rey is pretty. i just know that the people i know who live there either live in hovels or palaces; i haven't seen much of the in between. i love those canals though and if you take advantage of the beach, i'm sure it's worth the price/lack of ammenities. i know it's perfect for my girlfriend who likes to meditate on the beach everyday, but she sure doesn't enjoy spending time in her tiny apartment, that's for sure.

Yeah I'm sure you could own a little McMansion in phoenix for an $1800/month mortage. Instead of renting an apt with 2-3 other people.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
It's relative to income. Phoenix is more expensive to live in than LA. It's obvious you spend less in PHX (primarily on housing), but your incomes are 89% of what they would be in LA, but you spend 95% of what people in LA spend.

i really don't see this. what items are you referring to specifically? gas is actually more expensive in LA than in phoenix. groceries & target like items also appear to be the same cost based on my shopping experiences in many so cal cities, only in so cal cities, it's harder to find parking at the store. i paid $28 for two normal sized beers at the el rey that i could get for $10 less at a nice club in phoenix. event parking is more like $25 in LA than $5-$10. can you please tell me what is specifically more expensive about spending money in LA than phoenix?

real talk
05-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah let's talk about Phoenix.

fatbastard
05-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Just come on and move over here for 3 months.

PlayaDelWes
05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Moving onto food, there are no gaps that any other city has that LA does compete with.

Great seafood, varieties of fresh produce, plenty of fancy-schmancy restaurants, plenty of cheap stuff, plenty of classic hole-in-the walls, a variety of fastfood, Chinatown, Filipinotown, Koreatown, Little Armenia, Little Ethiopia, Little Persia, Little India, Little Tokyo, Thai Town, Jewish delis, classic bakeries, etc, etc, etc…

How can anyone complain about the food in LA?

bug on your lip
05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
i think kidnappers are asking for more in L.A. than Phoenix nowadays

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Terrorism insurance rates are higher.

fatbastard
05-27-2009, 10:27 AM
We kick ass in car jackings!

Principal Onyx Blackman
05-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm moving to L.A. for "MS-13."

I hear they are super good live.

PlayaDelWes
05-27-2009, 10:32 AM
i really don't see this. what items are you referring to specifically? gas is actually more expensive in LA than in phoenix. groceries & target like items also appear to be the same cost based on my shopping experiences in many so cal cities, only in so cal cities, it's harder to find parking at the store. i paid $28 for two normal sized beers at the el rey that i could get for $10 less at a nice club in phoenix. event parking is more like $25 in LA than $5-$10. can you please tell me what is specifically more expensive about spending money in LA than phoenix?

You can not read. In the previous two posts I mentioned that people in Phoenix spend less in terms of $$$s than people in LA. I agree with you. In 07, PHX household expenditures on Food, Housing, Transportation, HealthCare, Entertainment, and Education totaled $58K, relative to LA's average of $61K. That's 95% of LA.

What you ignore / fail to read is that when it comes to average income, PHX makes 89% of LA (68K vs 76K). Do the math, COL in PHX is 85% vs. LA's of 80%.

It's fact. I've paid (and most other companies) pay people 10's of thousands less for the same job in PHX than here in So Cal. It's like little India. We've even had initiatives to open up offices in PHX and put hiring freezes on our So Cal offices to save on Salary expense.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
the statistics may be correct, but in reality i don't really know anyone making 76k in cali or 68k in phoenix and anyone i do is in fear of layoffs right now or has already been laid off. just like in phoenix, i'd wager that most of the workers in LA are making a lot less than the average of 76k, but still stuck paying a lot of the higher rent & gas prices. i just can't imagine living in a city where i need $1800 in rent every month just to get by. my city may be shitty to most people, but at least i don't have to stress about paying my bills every month. if you're in the movie industry or some other cali specific industry that makes the high rent worth it, i understand. but i would never want to move to LA because the high cost of rent would stress me out.

and we appreciate you giving away your jobs like that, slowly so cal will become the republic of disney and most of the jobs will be tourism related. at least we, like india, can take advantage :)

SoulDischarge
05-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah. That's pretty much what I've been saying. The stress of living in LA on a low budget isn't worth what you get back from the city. There are other cities out there that have a good number of the positive aspects of LA without the cost, in terms of both finance and agitation. But that's why I don't live there any more. If you can manage it and love it, great.

BlackSwan
05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Moving onto food, there are no gaps that any other city has that LA does compete with.

Great seafood, varieties of fresh produce, plenty of fancy-schmancy restaurants, plenty of cheap stuff, plenty of classic hole-in-the walls, a variety of fastfood, Chinatown, Filipinotown, Koreatown, Little Armenia, Little Ethiopia, Little Persia, Little India, Little Tokyo, Thai Town, Jewish delis, classic bakeries, etc, etc, etc…

Have you lived in so-cal your entire life?

SFChrissy
05-27-2009, 11:29 AM
has 10x more douchebags maybe...Yeah but we're talking about the land of silicone dolls Paul...there's way more prestigious superficial douchebags in LA and way less in the surrounding nor-cal bay area...

SFChrissy
05-27-2009, 11:31 AM

I cringe at the comparison of so-cal produce markets in comparison to what I have access to here up north...

tessalasset
05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah. That's pretty much what I've been saying. The stress of living in LA on a low budget isn't worth what you get back from the city. There are other cities out there that have a good number of the positive aspects of LA without the cost, in terms of both finance and agitation. But that's why I don't live there any more. If you can manage it and love it, great.

it depends on how much you want/need to live on. i live in santa monica, five minutes from the beach, in a two-story, three-bedroom apartment and i pay $600/mo. granted, it's with two random guys from craigslist, but it works out fine. the apartment is roomy, rent controlled, and on a quiet street really close to everything, including my local bar where my friends and i meet up every sunday night for trivia. my commute is from the west side into the LA/hollywood area, so i'm against traffic there and back. i grew up with avocado trees in my back yard. i was born and raised here so i have a strong, close network of friends, some of which i've known my whole life, but most of whom i've met in the past five years, just being a young adult and getting out and living in the city. many of them are from this very message board. they are all very cool, funny, genuine people. i've said this on the board in previous "i hate LA" threads, but it's so easy to avoid the assholes. just don't go into hollywood on a weekend night. stay at the dive bars. i've never once been to a club where i had to wait in line to get in. i just won't do it. there are so many other options in LA. public transportation definitely sucks in most of LA (the santa monica blue bus is pretty nice but the area's restrictive), so get a car and learn the side streets. it's easier to avoid traffic if you understand the layout of the city and alternate routes to get from A to B. it's definitely expensive to live here if you're eating out all the time and going to bars and shows. that's a given. but two of my favorite weekend activities are free. going to the getty (my mom works there and gets me free parking) and hanging out at the santa monica library, which is almost brand new and has an awesome sunny courtyard with a cafe and landscaping and a freaking stream running through it. also i never get bored with third street promenade even though i've basically grown up there. i love doing the tourist things in LA. it's so big that there's so much i haven't seen. you just can't get bored in this city. i love the weather, although i do miss winter. i went to boarding school in st. louis for three years. loved the winters but absolutely HATED the summers. souldischarge i don't know how you can like chicago summers. the humidity and the cicadas... gross. i love our summers here cause they make me want to put on sunscreen and bring a book down to the grass on venice beach and listen to bob marley with no care in the world. also beach bon fires with friends down at dockweiler rule.

i can say, however, that i couldn't imagine moving to this city on my own, knowing no one, like a lot of people do to get into the movie industry. it's a HUGE place and you can easily get lost in every sense of the word. i feel very fortunate that i grew up here and know it like the back of my hand. i also think i would hate it a lot more if i lived in the valley or further east. if you live on the west side, it's a more temperate climate, staying cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. the west side is like its own city, its own little enclave, where you can leave and experience the craziness of Los Angeles, but still come back to a normal community just outside the boundaries.

Mr. Dylanja
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Here's some simple math for all you statistic geeks...

Phoenix + Ivy > LA

ShyGuy75
05-27-2009, 11:53 AM
cicadas? in the city? no.

everything else...spot on.

tessalasset
05-27-2009, 11:59 AM
cicadas? in the city? no.

everything else...spot on.

cicadas in st. louis, yes.

ShyGuy75
05-27-2009, 12:01 PM
lo siento. i thought u were talking about in the city of chicago.

tessalasset
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
ahhh, no. never been there yet. it's close enough to stl that i thought they might have similar summers.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
i can say, however, that i couldn't imagine moving to this city on my own, knowing no one, like a lot of people do to get into the movie industry. it's a HUGE place and you can easily get lost in every sense of the word. i feel very fortunate that i grew up here and know it like the back of my hand.

you're definitely lucky to have a support system there and that you also take advantage of all the city has to offer. i've had a few friends try to move to LA, but end up coming back because the people are "so horrible". at the same time, they only met people at the clubs in hollywood, so i guess i don't know what they expect. it seems like it's easy to become lonely/isolated out there if you don't put yourself out there and get to know people.

also, a lot of the people i know who moved to LA to "make it" were big fishes in little ponds and were used to being approached by people all the time instead of them having to make an effort to approach people. they usually won't make the effort and end up being depressed as a result since no one out there gives a flying fuck who you are. it's like they just expect to show up and that hollywood will come knocking on their door the second they arrive. you have to work hard there, just like anywhere else, to make it. it seems like people forget that when moving to LA.

ShyGuy75
05-27-2009, 12:09 PM
well then you must go. it is such a wonderful place.

shermanoaksyo
05-27-2009, 12:29 PM
LACMA is the best museum on the west coast. The Norton Simon is also great. And the eats here are so fantastically diverse, they gave our alt-weekly food critic enough material to win a Pulitzer. This thread is overflowing with stupid. Go Dodgers.

SoulDischarge
05-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I got burned on LA. When I was living there, I couldn't think of living anywhere else. But I was miserable. A lot of it was my own personal issues, shit I'm still dealing with, but it wasn't a very hospitable city where I thought I could thrive despite everything. Before I moved back to Ohio, I was pretty much faced with the choice of fighting and starving and hustling, things I haven't had much experience with or was very good at, just to stay barely afloat, or moving back to where I could live pretty comfortably for awhile. And I just didn't feel like what I'd experienced in Southern California (3 years in Ventura county with frequent visits to LA, 6 months in Hollywood) was worth going through all that trouble for. I had a few friends, but not very many, and they were all wrapped up in their own issues, so mostly I was stuck alone all the time with a very weak emotional support base. I tried my best to find free fun and cheap things to do around the city, and I found quite a few, but it wasn't really enough to keep me in the city struggling. I didn't really want to move back to Ohio, but I ended up being really relieved when I did. I don't love it here, I'm desperate to move out because there's nothing going on here. But I don't want to go back to LA either. I was there for a couple of days after Coachella and all I could think was "I want to get out of here. This place is awful." And when I feel like I miss LA, I think of having to pay $700 for a rear brake light fix it ticket that I couldn't afford to pay on time (yes I know it would have been easy to fix, but I was really a mess, and shit just shouldn't get that expensive). California is a bureaucratic nightmare. There's this whole passive-aggressive vibe of things being "chill out, relax" on the surface and vicious self promotion on the underside; "California Uber Alles" and all that. Obviously it's not everyone, but it's the general atmosphere. The Midwest/East Coast has a lot of negativity and staleness, but as a whole it's more upfront. People are assholes, but you generally know where you stand. I notice the difference the most in bars and shows (where drinks are significantly cheaper, even comparing an LA dive bar to a Midwest dive bar). Maybe it's desperation, but people are more willing to have a "fuck it, let's have fun" attitude. These are generalizations, obviously, but they can be felt.

And I really just don't like the physical shape of the place. Suburbs and strip malls and deserts and palm trees and freeways and the architecture all that. Sure, there's some really beautiful scenery, but a lot of those places are destinations. Travel to the beach, travel to the park. Out here, there's scenery and atmosphere on just about every corner. Basically, in SoCal, I felt like I was living in a giant mall.

I'm not trying to say it's paradise on this side of the country. There's a lot of shitty things. Maybe I'm just more attuned to the mentality and atmosphere since it's where I grew up. It's probably a lot easier to appreciate LA having grown up there and knowing it intimately. I really do think there's a lot of good things about the city. I tried my damnedest to live there and give it a chance. But like I said, I really don't think it's worth the cost if you're not well taken care of.

ShyGuy75
05-27-2009, 12:46 PM
much more eloquent, SoulD. bravo.

Courtney
05-27-2009, 12:46 PM
I agree with ShyGuy on something. Kinda shocked about this turn of events.

tessalasset
05-27-2009, 12:51 PM
also, like you said, you should be in a good state of mind, a good time in your life, if you want to try to move out here and make it work. you definitely need emotional support.

bremex
05-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I kinda agree.
I was born in San Diego, moved to Mexico when I was 6 and came back 4 years ago. I have friends but not "best friends" i have probably one but that's it. People are extremely shallow and judgemental. I love Star Wars, Zelda and am a major Dragon Ball fan, I am 21 and when I mention this, I can see my "girl friends" hidding their faces of embarassement. Who cares? I am still awesome!

My cousins grew up here and have a different mentality. And is hard to make real friends because they've alll known each other since 5th grade, I guess it happens everywhere to the "new kid in town" but Cali kids are especially influential and shallow. I love the weather and all the hip about the state, but the people are not as great as you might think.

For the record, I hate the Mall in Cali, especially Forever 21, that's where the whores go shopping.

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2009, 01:18 PM
the statistics may be correct, but in reality i don't really know anyone making 76k in cali or 68k in phoenix and anyone i do is in fear of layoffs right now or has already been laid off. just like in phoenix, i'd wager that most of the workers in LA are making a lot less than the average of 76k, but still stuck paying a lot of the higher rent & gas prices. i just can't imagine living in a city where i need $1800 in rent every month just to get by. my city may be shitty to most people, but at least i don't have to stress about paying my bills every month. if you're in the movie industry or some other cali specific industry that makes the high rent worth it, i understand. but i would never want to move to LA because the high cost of rent would stress me out.

and we appreciate you giving away your jobs like that, slowly so cal will become the republic of disney and most of the jobs will be tourism related. at least we, like india, can take advantage :)

Well what about for love?

TomAz
05-27-2009, 01:24 PM
in reality i don't really know anyone making 76k in cali or 68k in phoenix and anyone i do is in fear of layoffs right now

wait.. do you or don't you know people making that level of income?

RotationSlimWang
05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I recommend tribe.com for finding stuff to do in LA that's at least mildly interesting. It's some kind of social networking site for Burners. When I first moved out here I went to a couple at least sorta intriguing parties I found on there.

Also, Kingsblend, shut the fuck up.

RotationSlimWang
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Wasn't talking about you guys. Seriously.

... god you're dumb. So it was just a hypothetical question about whether or not she'd move to LA for "love" (so gay) when she's dating a guy who lives in LA? Really? You realize that comes off even more retarded, right?

tessalasset
05-27-2009, 01:38 PM
For the record, I hate the Mall in Cali, especially Forever 21, that's where the whores go shopping.

i hate malls, period. i get so depressed every time i go in one. i'm hoping the new santa monica mall will kick ass since the food court is on the roof overlooking the ocean.

212margarita
05-27-2009, 02:11 PM
LA is nice place to visit but I would never want to live there. I have lived in Orange County my whole life and while I will completely agree that the OC is by no means perfect I would rather be here than in LA.

The traffic in LA is fucking nightmare, if you know side streets and what not I’m sure it is a little better, but eventually you have to get onto a major street and then you are basically screwed.

The city itself looks terrible, there are some places that are better maintained than others but for the most part it looks like a giant patch work of strip malls and shitty motels.

The people seem to have a certain “too cool for the room” vibe to them. Again I’m sure there are exceptions to this but from my experiences in LA the people are pretty rude and arrogant.

All that being said LA does have some decent art and theater happenings throughout the city, but I can make it up to LA in about an hour to go to those. No reason to live there.

Young blood
05-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Disneyland.

PlayaDelWes
05-27-2009, 02:31 PM
http://giredo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/real-housewives-2.jpghttp://www.midasupload.com/users/1/laguna_beach.jpg

marooko
05-27-2009, 02:32 PM
id bang them all. except maybe those two that kinda look like dudes.

bremex
05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
i hate malls, period. i get so depressed every time i go in one. i'm hoping the new santa monica mall will kick ass since the food court is on the roof overlooking the ocean.

I hate malls, too!!!
I go directly to the pet shops lol

airguitarvet
05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
i love LA.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Disneyland.

not in LA though. i would gladly pay a high cost of living to live in the haunted mansion and have mickey bring me churros every day. gladly.

BlackSwan
05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
You can't really surf unless you want to get hepatitis
Wait a Second!

It's funny 'cause it's true...

Beach Break: Swimming in shit

Three months ago, Heal the Bay, a Santa Monica-based environmental group, released its 17th Annual Beach Report Card. Although the group noted an overall improvement in the quality of water at California beaches, it reported that Long Beach had suffered a “dramatic drop in water quality” during the previous year. Twenty-four of the 28 testing sites along the city's waterfront earned grades of C, D or F, giving Long Beach the “dubious distinction” of being the “No. 1 'Beach Bummer' in this year’s report.”

That ranking, as it turns out, reflects the level of fecal bacteria in the water, which is important to know about because shit-polluted water can cause skin rashes, ear and eye infections, gastrointestinal problems, and even Hepatitis A.

Ah, yes: Hepatitis A (a viral disease that harms the liver). The disease is most commonly transmitted via the “orofecal” route, which is when you get shit in your mouth. Hepatitis A can also be transmitted sexually — we won't get into the specifics of that — and by swimming in poopy water. (Mothers' Beach, anyone?) Symptoms usually appear two to six weeks after the start of infection and include: fatigue, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, appetite loss and jaundice, all of which also happen to be symptoms of swimming in the ocean in Long Beach.

Which raises an interesting question: why doesn't the report include any data about Hepatitis A? After all, Hepatitis A, according to the Centers for Disease Control, will affect roughly one-third of Americans in their lifetime.

Turns out the Long Beach Health Department, which is responsible for testing the city's ocean-water quality after sewage spills, but doesn't actually test those spills for Hepatitis A. Since January 2007, Long Beach has documented 62 sewage spills citywide, of which only three were deemed a public health risk, either because they were contained before reaching city beaches or failed to produce bacterial levels high enough to meet the state's beach-closing requirement:

Asked why the city doesn't test for Hepatitis A, Helene Calvet, the city's public-health officer, says the California environmental guidelines don't require them to do so. “Hepatitis is a virus and we don't test for viruses,” Calvet says. “We can't say if it is in the sewage or if it . . . is in the water.” Calvet adds that she had “no idea” why the state doesn't require cities to test their ocean water for Hepatitis A.

Let's ask a scientist! Shakoora Azimi-Gaylone, a staff scientist for the California State Water Control Board, says testing for Hepatitis A takes so much time — a few hours or so — that beaches are already contaminated by the time the results come back. She also says the tests were “pretty expensive.”

By expensive, Azimi-Gaylone is apparently referring to the hefty price tag of $20 to $30 per test. Ouch! Azimi-Gaylone promises the state health board is working on a much quicker and more effective test for viruses in ocean water that should be available to public health laboratories within a year.

Until then, if you're actually crazy enough to swim in Long Beach's water, just be glad there's probably so much industrial pollution in the ocean — motor oil, diesel fuel and whatever killed all those fish on the Peninsula last week — that the Hepatitis A virus could be the least of your worries.[/B]

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/long-beach/swimming-in-shit/

Gribbz
05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Ouch.

BlackSwan
05-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Indeed, John Feldmann was ahead of his time.

ivankay
05-27-2009, 05:06 PM
not in LA though. i would gladly pay a high cost of living to live in the haunted mansion and have mickey bring me churros every day. gladly.

Fuck it. i'm getting off my ass and going to get a churro and see some hitch hiking ghost. Thanks for the motivation.

whynotsmile99
05-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm enjoying reading this thread, though a lot of it sounds like most of you are bitter or have never even been to the fucking city.

I'm one of those few "born in LA" people. Spent a year as a baby in West Hollywood then my parents moved to a house in Glendale. I've lived here my entire life, aside from 3 years at college in Ventura.

I've had a love hate relationship with LA my whole life. The older I get, the more I appreciate and love it.

First of all the babble talk about no good food, art scene or trees is horse shit. Assuming you are freely able to leave South Central or Panorama City you'll realize this. if you are stuck in the ghetto without a car, then yeah, LA must suck for you.

The greatest thing I can say about LA is how much it has opened my eyes to many things in this world.

I love the mix of people here. My best friend from pre school was from India. I'm going to his wedding in India at the end of the year. I went to an Armenian majority high school. I love China Town, Japan Town, Thai town. I love all the Orthodox Jewish stores on Pico that blend into Ethiopian food down the street. I believe LA has the most Armenians, Koreans, Ethiopians, Laotions, Thai and I'm sure many more ethnic groups, outside of their native country. It's fascinating.

I love the fact that I was watching art house films in Pasadena when I was 12 and going to concerts at night clubs when I was 15

I love the museums here, LACMA to the Getty to the Museum of Miniatures to MOCA and the Pasadena school of design exhibits, etc etc etc. I even love the street grafitti (actual work, not just stupid tagging) all over the city.

The best thing to do in LA is drive. Yes, I hate the traffic too. Just have to know short cuts and the right streets to take and it's a lot more tolerable. Figuring that out is half the fun. Throw on some good music, put the windows down and drive. La Canada to Downtown LA to Santa Monica to Hollywood to Pasadena to Burbank. The homes, the scenery, the hills, the beautiful cars, the beautiful women. So much to take in. I HATE THE FUCKING BUSES IN LOS ANGELES. I'd rather have more traffic on the streets and more pollution in the air than have to deal with another fucking LA bus driver. They create incredibly dangerous driving conditions for everyone else on the road.

Another common cliche about LA is that it has no "culture or history" which again is total dogshit. Yes, we have new apartment buildings. No, that doesn't mean we have no history. How any city with 13 million people from all over the world and the entertainment capital of the world could have no "culture or history" is beyond me.

The LA crowds at concerts suck. yes, I agree 100% I disagree that everyone is there to be seen (whatever that means anyway. No one is going to a shitty indie show at the troubadour hoping to "be seen". People are just rude at shows and talk too fucking much)

I'm rambling and have to get ready for Prodigy.

But overall I find LA to be an incredible place. You gotta put forth effort but it repays you in spades. Strangely, LA still doesn't feel like "home" and I've lived here my whole life. I love Ventura and miss it terribly. That place felt like home to me after a year in school. It's hard for a city to feel like home when most of the time you go out it's a totally new experience. I look forward to living somewhere else eventually but I truly do respect and greatly enjoy Los Angeles and all the fucked up, funny, ridiculous things that have gone on here. Fascinating city.

When I was in South East Asia, I'd meet people from Vietnam Thailand and Lao and they would always smile when I told them I was from LA. They always had family there.

oh, and the subway system works great. Shame more people don't use the damn thing

JebusLives
05-27-2009, 05:40 PM
My Canadian impressions of LA:

+ concerts
+ tacos
+ progressive marijuana laws
+ fuck winter
- endless stripmalls
- i hate driving
- plastic people
- shallow history

I'd personally like to try it for a few years. Maybe norcal; then I can just visit...

Suffacated
05-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Great post whynotsmile99!

I too was born here in LA. East LA back in 65.
I can remember riding the RTD as a child when my mom would take me to see DR. Gallager.
His office was somewhere off of Western.
I'll never forget the thick growth of grey hair that stuck out of his ears...

jazzz
05-27-2009, 06:43 PM
No, Hermosa = Pacific Beach, but not as bad. And Redondo is waayyy more laid back and less pretentious than Mission Beach, if you're gonna make comparisons.

I would hate to actually live IN l.a., but I grew up in Torrance/Palos Verdes and now live in Redondo Beach and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm a half hour south of all the L.A. craziness, but can be at a show in downtown/Hollywood in no time. Most people that love L.A. really don't live there, but rather live in the more attractive surrounding communities.

You can't say San Diego is a "much better place"...music-wise especially. Shit music scene, shit music venues, and bands ALWAYS play L.A. and often times skip San Diego.

Just the fact that almost anyone who tours plays an L.A. show is reason enough to live here. Call me when SD has a Troubadour/Spaceland/Echo-like music venue.

I'm not making comparisons about which is more laid back or less pretentious I'm saying LA has more sandal bros'

and for shitty music scene? In the last 2 weeks I've seen Spectrum, Doves, Mogwai, M83, Fischerspooner up next The Field, St. Vincent, The Orb, 1990's plus all the other misc. electronic local spots I hit in between. We might miss a band once in a while but if it's a must see I will see'em at Coachella..

The Casbah alone is a great venue just like Spaceland/Echo not mention the many other venues your probably not aware of. Pretty much all walking or trolley distance!

Many many neighborhoods in DT San Diego are sandal bro free! I got a ton of Mods on scooters in mine!

fatbastard
05-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Great post whynotsmile99!

I too was born here in LA. East LA back in 65.
I can remember riding the RTD as a child when my mom would take me to see DR. Gallager.
His office was somewhere off of Western.
I'll never forget the thick growth of grey hair that stuck out of his ears...

We use to take 3 RTD buses to see my dentist, which use to be on the site of which is now Club Nokia. My new dentist tries every year to pull out my fillings from my other dentist but he always fails.

I miss that dentist.

allyjoy
05-27-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm a little shocked people remember it being called RTD. kudos to you true angelenos.

Stefachink
05-28-2009, 08:18 PM
it depends on how much you want/need to live on. i live in santa monica, five minutes from the beach, in a two-story, three-bedroom apartment and i pay $600/mo. granted, it's with two random guys from craigslist, but it works out fine. the apartment is roomy, rent controlled, and on a quiet street really close to everything, including my local bar where my friends and i meet up every sunday night for trivia. my commute is from the west side into the LA/hollywood area, so i'm against traffic there and back. i grew up with avocado trees in my back yard. i was born and raised here so i have a strong, close network of friends, some of which i've known my whole life, but most of whom i've met in the past five years, just being a young adult and getting out and living in the city. many of them are from this very message board. they are all very cool, funny, genuine people. i've said this on the board in previous "i hate LA" threads, but it's so easy to avoid the assholes. just don't go into hollywood on a weekend night. stay at the dive bars. i've never once been to a club where i had to wait in line to get in. i just won't do it. there are so many other options in LA. public transportation definitely sucks in most of LA (the santa monica blue bus is pretty nice but the area's restrictive), so get a car and learn the side streets. it's easier to avoid traffic if you understand the layout of the city and alternate routes to get from A to B. it's definitely expensive to live here if you're eating out all the time and going to bars and shows. that's a given. but two of my favorite weekend activities are free. going to the getty (my mom works there and gets me free parking) and hanging out at the santa monica library, which is almost brand new and has an awesome sunny courtyard with a cafe and landscaping and a freaking stream running through it. also i never get bored with third street promenade even though i've basically grown up there. i love doing the tourist things in LA. it's so big that there's so much i haven't seen. you just can't get bored in this city. i love the weather, although i do miss winter. i went to boarding school in st. louis for three years. loved the winters but absolutely HATED the summers. souldischarge i don't know how you can like chicago summers. the humidity and the cicadas... gross. i love our summers here cause they make me want to put on sunscreen and bring a book down to the grass on venice beach and listen to bob marley with no care in the world. also beach bon fires with friends down at dockweiler rule.

i can say, however, that i couldn't imagine moving to this city on my own, knowing no one, like a lot of people do to get into the movie industry. it's a HUGE place and you can easily get lost in every sense of the word. i feel very fortunate that i grew up here and know it like the back of my hand. i also think i would hate it a lot more if i lived in the valley or further east. if you live on the west side, it's a more temperate climate, staying cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. the west side is like its own city, its own little enclave, where you can leave and experience the craziness of Los Angeles, but still come back to a normal community just outside the boundaries.

I found your post extremely helpful and truly inspiring. I plan on moving to Santa Monica after high school to attend The Art Institute to persue my filmmaking/music career. Yeah .. I am one of those people who want to move to the LA area to try to make it big. Actually, I don't really care for making it big. I just want to live off of what I love doing and be able to support myself without too many stresses and be able to afford Coachella every year. It's been in my subconscious for the past year or so about whether or not I should drive to Santa Monica everyday for school from Long Beach or if I should just go and live there. Any advice? Would it be that much of a culture shock moving from Long Beach to Santa Monica? I'd REALLY appreciate any ideas you'd have. I'm visiting The Art Institute's Open House event thing this Saturday and I am super excited.

JewFace
05-28-2009, 08:21 PM
My goodness. You lot went running with this one! I just posted the video because I thought it was quite funny. I think she did a nice job of skewering the "LA Haters" while also lovingly poking fun at the 'typical' Angeleno.

Stefachink
05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
You can't really surf unless you want to get hepatitis
Wait a Second!

It's funny 'cause it's true...

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/long-beach/swimming-in-shit/

I find that hilarious. Everyone in Long Beach knows to not swim at our beach. It's pretty damn bad and it is always empty unless people are jogging/biking/walking their dog along the course. It's nothing new. It's been like that for the past 10 years or so.

tessalasset
05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Stef I would 100% suggest moving to Santa Monica. Santa Monica/Venice/Brentwood/Playa Del Rey/Marina Del Rey/even Culver City just have a completely different vibe than the rest of the city. It's super laid back and gorgeous and quiet and safer and cleaner. You will actually feel happy living here. I walk outside and smile every morning. Just the smell and the breeze make me set for the day. ABSOLUTELY move up here if you have the ability to do so. You won't have to worry about traffic to school cause you'll never even hit the freeway. Is the Art Institute the one over on Ocean Park? Cause I'm sort of in love with that whole neighborhood over there, too, by the Counter and all those little mom & pop shops. All the way down to the beach, Ocean Park and its cross streets are cute.

WizardIsAboutToDie
05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm not making comparisons about which is more laid back or less pretentious I'm saying LA has more sandal bros'

and for shitty music scene? In the last 2 weeks I've seen Spectrum, Doves, Mogwai, M83, Fischerspooner up next The Field, St. Vincent, The Orb, 1990's plus all the other misc. electronic local spots I hit in between. We might miss a band once in a while but if it's a must see I will see'em at Coachella..

The Casbah alone is a great venue just like Spaceland/Echo not mention the many other venues your probably not aware of. Pretty much all walking or trolley distance!

Many many neighborhoods in DT San Diego are sandal bro free! I got a ton of Mods on scooters in mine!

I thought 1990s cancelled their tour. . .

PlayaDelWes
05-29-2009, 07:26 AM
My goodness. You lot went running with this one! I just posted the video because I thought it was quite funny. I think she did a nice job of skewering the "LA Haters" while also lovingly poking fun at the 'typical' Angeleno.

Jewface, that video is very entertaining. Thanks for the post.

algunz
05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I walked the marathon on Monday, and I can safely say that most of LA is not a very pretty city. But, the people were great at least on this day. In fact when we were walking near South Central one of the Homies on the street corner kicking it with his boys (where they probably hang out everyday) told us, "This is the one day of the year we let you in our hood, so you best enjoy it." It was quite funny, and he had a great smile.

bremex
05-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I prefer San Diego.

shermanoaksyo
05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
The Marathon route is a little gritty because the cities of SaMo, Beverly Hills, and WeHo don't want it to clog up their streets. Lame.

djandrews25
05-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Life is what you make of it.

SoulDischarge
05-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Go fuck yourself, cuntrag.

djandrews25
05-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Go fuck yourself, cuntrag.

Sorry that you hate your life.

SoulDischarge
05-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, you have just been witness to an exchange that thoroughly sums up the difference between Midwesterners and Southern Californians. Please join us next week as we pit a Texan against a swath of Connecticut yuppies.

MissingPerson
05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Front row. Count on me.

djandrews25
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, you have just been witness to an exchange that thoroughly sums up the difference between Midwesterners and Southern Californians. Please join us next week as we pit a Texan against a swath of Connecticut yuppies.

Thats kind of confusing. But sounds like loads of fun anyway.

MantisMel
05-29-2009, 05:39 PM
When I was in South East Asia, I'd meet people from Vietnam Thailand and Lao and they would always smile when I told them I was from LA. They always had family there.

oh, and the subway system works great. Shame more people don't use the damn thing

Right on the head dude! I was in Italy for a month last year and when Id tell people I was from LA they loved it.

Im form Highland Park near Pasadena and the area is so unique and full of history. Going from an upper class jewish neighborhood to an ever flourishing young hip town. There are coffee shops, bars, community and its 10 minutes away from all the cool shit! I love LA and all it has to offer.

Ive traveled alot, I love Kansas City Missouri, New York, San Francisco, Pheonix, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, Miami... all these places have character and flavor. The weather is always amazing, the women are hot and the men are gorgeous. So yeah... Fuck anyone who say LA sux.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-29-2009, 06:47 PM
i grew up in in the San Fernando Valley and I absolutely love L.A.

JewFace
05-29-2009, 07:15 PM
And I forgot to add that I love L.A. too! Lived in London, Sydney, LA and San Diego.

jennygirl
05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
I first moved to LA with a sheer hatred for the place. It morphed into this dysfunctional love/hate relationship.

djandrews25
05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Seems pretty unanimous, LA is cool. With the exception of a few sad sad souls who live there.

TomAz
05-29-2009, 09:30 PM
are you a republican yet?

SoulDischarge
05-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Optimism gives you cancer.

Stefachink
05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Stef I would 100% suggest moving to Santa Monica. Santa Monica/Venice/Brentwood/Playa Del Rey/Marina Del Rey/even Culver City just have a completely different vibe than the rest of the city. It's super laid back and gorgeous and quiet and safer and cleaner. You will actually feel happy living here. I walk outside and smile every morning. Just the smell and the breeze make me set for the day. ABSOLUTELY move up here if you have the ability to do so. You won't have to worry about traffic to school cause you'll never even hit the freeway. Is the Art Institute the one over on Ocean Park? Cause I'm sort of in love with that whole neighborhood over there, too, by the Counter and all those little mom & pop shops. All the way down to the beach, Ocean Park and its cross streets are cute.

Yeah, I believe the school is on 31st and the major cross street is Ocean Park. This makes me even more excited. I was worried that the school would be surrounded by tall buildings and a very industrial environment but now I'm glad to realize that it's more closer to the beach. Since I haven't been around the area before, I just Google Mapped the location right now and it appears that it's right next to the airport and Clover Park ... interesting to see how that works out. How much is rent around that area? I'm still deciding if it'd be cheaper to dorm or to just get my own place.

mattpach
05-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Haha that video was awesome.

I used to hate LA until I moved 2 hours north to Santa Barbara.
I spend most of my time in LA still and I've learned to love it.

tessalasset
05-30-2009, 01:46 AM
i don't know how much it would cost to live in the dorm, but rent averages around $800 for a shared apt. like if you wanted to move in to someone's apt and take a room. 1 bedrooms are prob around $1100 or $1200. 2 bedrooms are around $1800-$1900. the immediate area around the school is sort of industrial. not the right word for it really. but my 24 hour fitness is right there on 31st as well. that whole south side of ocean park is just big office buildings. but the north side gets cute with all the little restaurants and mom & pop shops. everything's walking distance. it's right next to the santa monica airport, not lax, so there aren't that many planes coming and going. clover park is cute. they just had a music festival there a couple weekends ago. a tiny one.

Stefachink
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Ah I see. I just got back from the open house tour thing and found out it's about $1,000 a month for either 4 people in a 2 bedroom or 2 people in a 1 bedroom. The whole apartment is also fully furnished. Still not exactly sure which I'd go for but it'll most likely come down to the money and I'll pick whatever's the cheapest. Afterall I still have a whole year to think about this. Thanks a bunch for all the information :pulse I really like the Santa Monica area. It's around the industry but it doesn't seem too loud and appears to be safe to walk around. It's close by the beach so that's a GREAT thing, except if a tsunami aprroaches the coast or something. I did notice that there were numerous cars honking though .. even in the neighborhood areas. People have no patience whatsoever. But that's not a problem big enough to prevent me from wanting to live there :)

zenidogx
05-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Seems pretty unanimous, LA is cool. With the exception of a few sad sad souls who live there.

Huntington Beach is Dana Rohrabacher's congressional district. I hate Rohrabacher so much.

djandrews25
05-30-2009, 01:17 PM

Im a registered republican, but only voted republican in the last election.

JustSteve
05-30-2009, 01:42 PM
the immediate area around the school is sort of industrial. not the right word for it really. but my 24 hour fitness is right there on 31st as well.

commercial?

tessalasset
05-30-2009, 02:44 PM
eh.... more just big office buildings and parking lot. i wouldn't really call it commercial. but that's probably better than industrial.

zenidogx
06-01-2009, 05:25 PM
from the "Which section of LA should you live in" quiz on facebook, the result for Silverlake:

You are probably a somewhat artsy person whether you are a musician, graphic designer, clothing designer, writer, etc. You love the colorfulness of your neighborhood, and all its quirky charm. You love all the different types of restaurants and bars your enclave has to offer. You probably lurk around intelligensia coffeeshop and write missed connections for a pretty girl wearing flannel who is reading the latest David Sedaris book. You have a dog and you take him to the dogpark everyday...just so you have an excuse to pick people up. Seldom do you want to leave home!

PlayaDelWes
06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Must share this pretty cool project that the LA Times has put together.

Mapping LA (http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/)

Welcome to The Times’ map of the neighborhoods of Los Angeles, your portal to our new community pages for the city. Click on a neighborhood above to see a more detailed map with information about schools, income, demographics and news from your area. In the weeks ahead, we plan to keep adding more information, including crime statistics and restaurants finds.

These neighborhoods were built with your help. In February 2009, we posted a first version of the map and asked readers to send us their critiques and suggestions. You responded. After reviewing more than 1,500 comments and maps posted on this site, Times staffers have made nearly 100 boundary changes, producing an updated map showing 113 neighborhood subdivisions within the city.

But readers didn’t just comment on the boundaries; hundreds sent notes — short essays really — on the places they live. They were informative, humorous, thought-provoking and often eloquent. We hope to keep that conversation going. Please use these pages to tell us more about the places you live.

For those who live in Southern California, but outside the city of Los Angeles, stay tuned. We plan to bring you the same type of community pages in the coming months.
About Mapping L.A.: Neighborhoods (http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/about/)

fatbastard
06-18-2009, 05:34 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20090617/i/r989936529.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090617/capt.f3ae0a7009a548ce8cfadecf92d109aa.lakers_parad e_basketball_cajh107.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20090617/capt.photo_1245267542881-1-0.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090617/capt.9b246dbbe4cd4043afdf93e68a207810.lakers_parad e_basketball_cajh112.jpg

bug on your lip
06-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Jesus should use those purple steps for his grand entrance

fatbastard
06-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Those steps made me think of EDC next week.