PDA

View Full Version : Of Montreal... a little help?

Sigur Ros Stache
05-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey,
So im very behind here but have recently fallen in love with Hissing Fauna...so I sought out more and listened to "sunlandic twins" but really didn't find it as great.
Is Hissing Fauna a one off for them or can someone recommend another one to check out. I didn't realize their back catalog extended so far back...as I said I am way late to the party.
Thanks

Aurgasm
05-20-2009, 02:55 AM
I'd consider giving a listen to the entire discography if you really care. Kevin Barnes is a lunatic, and it shows in the music.

bmack86
05-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Hissing Fauna is probably their best album. It's more focused and darker than anything else they'd done to that point, and then they went all overblown on the last one.

zenidogx
05-20-2009, 08:26 AM
the overblown last one was still fun to listen to. it's all over the place, but when it focuses on something good, it's phenomenal.

Satanic Panic in the Attic, Sunlandic Twins, Hissing Fauna, and Skeletal Lamping are their recent, more appealing work. I didn't really like the earlier stuff, but am still trying to get in on that.

the easiest way to fall in love with Of Montreal is to go to one of their shows.

Alchemy
05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Zenidogx mentioned all the best albums. I also like the Gay Parade album, but it's pretty different from Hissing Fauna.

mountmccabe
05-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Satanic Panic in the Attic, Sunlandic Twins, Hissing Fauna, and Skeletal Lamping are their recent, more appealing work. I didn't really like the earlier stuff, but am still trying to get in on that.

the easiest way to fall in love with Of Montreal is to go to one of their shows.

I will chime in on the opposite side for all of these comments. My favorite albums from them are all earlier, Cherry Peel, the Gay Parade and Aldhils Arboretum.

And maybe it is because I haven't like the latest albums as much but I was bored the last time I saw them - Kevin changing ridiculous outfits every other song didn't hold my attention - and have kind of given up on seeing them live.

miscorrections
05-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Hissing Fauna I think is by consensus the best. If you run it all the way back the albums (Cherry Peel, Cocquelicot, etc.) are spastic pop, with things getting a little less weird towards Aldhil's Arboretum. It's worth a listen, at the very least.

miscorrections
05-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Also ftr I think Aldhil's Arboretum is my favorite from them.

Sigur Ros Stache
05-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Thanks for your input everyone :)
You gave me some ideas of what to check out and I am looking forward to seeing them at Lollapalooza this year.