PDA

View Full Version : Computer Geeks? PDF Shareware?

JewFace
05-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Is anyone here familiar with any kind of shareware/freeware that can convert MS Word files into PDFs? That's literally the only function I need.

And, yes, I have heard of Google, but I'm pulling up sponsored links and advertisements for the most part and not getting anywhere on search.

Thank you, kindly.

paganman7
05-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Just get a mac. It's built in.

Sorry homie, I can't help.

TheWatcher
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Try PDFCreator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/). It adds the printer PDFCreator, so you can just print from any app to a PDF.

If you don't have Word, you can also try OpenOffice, it can open any Word Doc and export to PDF.

If you are looking for a batch tool, I guess try Googling it.

dorkfish
05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.doc2pdf.net/

miscorrections
05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I use PrimoPDF.

M Sparks
05-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm assuming he doesn't HAVE Word, otherwise...

free Microsoft Office Save-As-PDF add-in (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F1FC413C-6D89-4F15-991B-63B07BA5F2E5&displaylang=en)

I believe it was supposed to be built into Office programs now, but they had to make it separate for legal reasons.

shakermaker113
05-19-2009, 04:41 PM
use a free pdf printer. cutepdf is simple. bullzip pdf printer is very configurable if you want something more customizable. both are free.

JewFace
05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I actually do have Word (Office 2007). So, I'll just download that add-in. Thank you very much for your timely responses guys. Much appreciated!

marooko
06-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Try PDFCreator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/). It adds the printer PDFCreator, so you can just print from any app to a PDF.

this is what i use. works very well. no, it works GREAT with AutoCAD. which mac lacks. go fuck yourself.

gaypalmsprings
06-11-2009, 06:56 AM
this is what i use. works very well. no, it works GREAT with AutoCAD. which mac lacks. go fuck yourself.

You responded to spam. Ha. Happy Plursday!

marooko
06-11-2009, 07:02 AM
????

M Sparks
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I actually do have Word (Office 2007). So, I'll just download that add-in. Thank you very much for your timely responses guys. Much appreciated!

HAHA...I won. :)

I love how Mac people are so brainwashed that "Buy a Mac" makes more sense to them than "download a tiny free file from Microsoft."

marooko
06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Jew, the PDF creator will work with any program you can print from. keep that in mind.

Wheres the beef?
06-11-2009, 11:07 AM
File -> Print -> MS Image Writer -> Save As.... PDF

boboso
06-11-2009, 12:05 PM

What do you use CAD for? 3D, MEP, Arch, Interior Design. or do you do shop drawings with it.

marooko
06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
shop drawings. and how the hell do you know to list that as an option? what field you in? do you use it? what for?

im a structural steel detailer. so yeah, i make shop and erection drawings.

menikmati
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I did shop drawing the old fashion way back in highschool...with pencil and paper, and rulers and triangles, and a french curve.

marooko
06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
me too. i did board drawing for a long time and i love it. id much rather do that. sadly, i might as well chisel stone if thats the case. even AutoCAD itself is being surpassed. its all about xsteel, strucad, SSDCP and fillipino slave labor. luckily, that latter seems to be more popular at the moment, so that guarantees work for us for a while still.

boboso
06-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I do MEP, and I have a few friends that do shop drawings so I know that they have their own type of discipline.

marooko
06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
ive thought about moving to vegas. they're always building shit and its usually extravagant as hell.

ive also thought about electrical work myself. what got you in to your field?

boboso
06-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Right now it's hard as hell to find a drafting job in any discipline in Vegas. 3/4 of the drafters I know have been laid off because all the big and small jobs have been shut down.

menikmati
06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Move to vegas and become a valet/taxi caller.....I know a guy who made $90,000 doing that one year.

marooko
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Right now it's hard as hell to find a drafting job in any discipline in Vegas. 3/4 of the drafters I know have been laid off because all the big and small jobs have been shut down.

our office was pretty much on the verge of shutting down 2 weeks ago. there was nothing out there. very grateful for the work we've gotten.

Move to vegas and become a valet/taxi caller.....I know a guy who made $90,000 doing that one year.

a lot of people say that. one of the drivers we talked to out there said its tough. could have been protecting his business.

Geno_g
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I use PrimoPDF.

I use this at work, when doing payroll it works...

boboso
06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
ive thought about moving to vegas. they're always building shit and its usually extravagant as hell.

ive also thought about electrical work myself. what got you in to your field?

I started doing CAD in high school and I like it a lot so I went to a trade school where they thought CAD. Then when I graduated from school my counselor sent my resume to a few companies here in Vegas and an MEP company was the first one to call back and hire me. That's how I got into electrical drafting.

marooko
06-11-2009, 12:52 PM
funny how familiar that sounds.

when we went through the structural steel section in school, EVERYONE hated it, including myself. out of the places i sent my resume to, this office was the most promising. pretty funny. now i love it.

boboso
06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Do you do your drawings in 3D, isometric, or top, front and side view?

marooko
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM
mainly front/elevation type views. whenever something is skewed or sloping, then we might get in to other views. there are always sections involved as well.

ive done hip and valley a couple of times, but not often enough to have it fresh in my head. thats where the fun is. compound angles, developed views and flip outs. good times.

im working on some embeds right now. usually we'll do a flip up/out like this. as you see, b302 needs a flip out or a detail because its slopping. cant properly show the dimensions in the views show. to save space, im gonna do a detail of it.
my fav though, are stairs. i love detailing stairs.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4118/flippedupembed.jpg
this embed is on an inside corner and will be supporting a diagonal HSS brace.

boboso
06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
thats pretty cool. I will hate to have to work with the 1/16 to 1/32 tolerance you have to work with. I work with schematics so I just get to drop a light or receptacle in a room and the contractor does the rest.

marooko
06-11-2009, 02:07 PM
we did a job for some contractors in AZ. for the ledgers, they just wanted 20 foot lengths to cover the entire building. those were the fucking easiest ledgers ive ever drawn.

unlike these fucking embeds. im about to start changing this sheet for the fucking 3rd time. mainly because the checker is such a fucking pussy, he needs to re-check what he already yellowed off vs. some fucking bullshit he found, only to change it back a fucking day later. BACK TO WHAT I HAD THE FUCKING FIRST TIME!!!!! on top of that, he totally missed an error on the anchor count on some other guys sheet. because he's concerned about a fucking 1/8 of an inch discrepancy in elevation.

this is a goddamn block wall building. its already guaranteed to be off a fucking 1/4 in. if we're lucky. sometimes i wanna break his fucking hip. i need to be in another thread. sorry.