PDA

View Full Version : Music Lounge Board Member of the Week?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

bballarl
05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi. This is just an idea, so if it falls by the wayside that is totally cool. I think we should have a BMOTW for the Music Lounge. The thinking is that they post a new album each day that people can download, listen to, and comment on. The MLBMOTW would theoretically introduce people to new music, could post favorites that they may dislike now but have nostalgic significance, etc.

If people are into the idea, we can elect someone to start next Monday. We could also fine-tune the format and all that good stuff. I like finding music on blogs or via allmusic, but I think it is cool when people post stuff that makes them feel a certain way or is important to them for some reason.

Discuss.

http://boardmemberoftheweek.blogspot.com/

Week 1: Bmack86
M: The Horseflies - Human Fly
T: The Saints - Eternally Yours
W: Circulatory System - Signal Morning
R: The Screamers - Demos 77-78, The Weirdos - Weird World Vol. 1
F: Parts and Labor - Stay Afraid

Week 2: TomAz
R: The Bottle Rockets - The Brooklyn Side
F: The Mekons - I <3 Mekons
S: Brave Combo - Humansville
Su: Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
M: The Waco Brothers - Cowboy in Flames
T: Billy Bragg - Talking With the Taxman About Poetry
W: Roky Erickson - You're Gonna Miss Me (Original Soundtrack)

Week 3: Bug On Your Lip
R: Cui Jian - Best of Cui Jian, 1986-1996

BlackSwan
05-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I like this idea... More discussion about music is always good.

AlecEiffel
05-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, sounds like a cool idea.

captncrzy
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I elect Bryan.

wmgaretjax
05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
this is a rad idea. there are several people i'd love to see do this...

creating a blogspot for it would be good, so we can post albums without violating forum rules.

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Great Idea. Should be interesting :thu

bmack86
05-18-2009, 09:55 AM
If it starts next week, there's no way I can participate, as I'm leaving the country on friday. But, it seems like a good idea and I'm in full support.

BlackSwan
05-18-2009, 09:58 AM
creating a blogspot for it would be good, so we can post albums without violating forum rules.

Good call.

pancakespancakes
05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
I think I get it. Sounds pretty fun to me.

bug on your lip
05-18-2009, 10:04 AM
i'm in

great idea

Alchemy
05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I like it!

tessalasset
05-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I appreciate this idea as well.

sonofhal
05-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Andrew had a Bob Mould moment.

bballarl
05-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Jared, if you could create the Blogspot that would be great. Would we all have access to it in terms of login stuff (for posting) or would we have to get links to you? I have never used anything like that before so I don't know how it works.

I am all for Bryan leading the charge. I was actually going to elect him anyway, so fuck all of y'all's opinions, even if they were the correct one. We can start today to accomodate him leaving the country to destroy the One Ring.

bballarl
05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Also, Bryan could just post 7 albums in a 5 day span or whatever, nominate a new person, and that person could start next Monday.

Double Also: I don't think the MLBMOTW should have to post an album a day. They can space things out if they want, to allow for better musical digestion.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Sweet. Alright, I'm gonna search for a Rapidshare link for today's album then, since I'm visiting my parents and I don't have it here. I think what I'll do is write up my little rant, then anyone who wants the record, I can send a PM, or I can alternately link to the blog, where you can then find it.

Opinions?

luckyface
05-18-2009, 10:36 AM
This idea is pretty swell. Move forward with it.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Alright, while I'm figuring out the best method of distributing (until we get the blogspot set up, anyway), I'm going to at least start talk about the first album.

The Horseflies-Human Fly

http://www.showmejoe.com/research/HorseFlies_HumanFly.jpg

My parents saw these guys at a bluegrass festival a few years back. Apparently they've been around since the late 70s, and I could easily picture them playing CBGBs on the same night as Television or Talking Heads or any of those nominally "punk" bands that had expansive sounds that quickly eclipsed three chords. They describe themselves as avant-bluegrass, and I was shocked to hear the start of this album. It's nominally a cover of Human Fly by the Cramps, but they're doing all this Steve Reich-style percussive repitition. Electronic sounds jump about, tracks pan, there's some african drumming and generally nothing you'd traditionally associate with bluegrass, at least until the violin kicks in. I'll leave the rest of the discussion of this for after people have listened.

This guy likes the record too (http://vmagz.com/?p=11508)

mountmccabe
05-18-2009, 10:52 AM
This week in music, curated by bmack86. I approve.

miSTEVEious
05-18-2009, 10:53 AM
sweet idea, I'm down!

canexplain
05-18-2009, 10:55 AM
great idea bmack .... like any good idea, you have to put a little effort if you want to succede in the task ... i tend to be a bit lazy, but i will add a little bit, a good idea ... cr****

bmack86
05-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Also, just because I've always wanted to answer this question that someone was asking every week in the GTKYFBM thread: If I had to listen to music from any 5 year period, and only that five year period, for the rest of my life, I'd probably have to choose 2004-2009. As Tom's pointed out to me, these are going to be my halcyon days for new music, and I've founds so many bands and records from the past five years that I absolutely adore. Add to that the fact that, due to file sharing and myspace and the internet in general, there's more music being made available now than ever before, and it seems like the only right decision. Although, it is very hard to pass 1979-1984, what with all the amazing Punk, Soul, Funk, Hip Hop and electro records coming out around that time.

canexplain
05-18-2009, 11:06 AM
we will talk about your choice of tunes later: so what do you think is the worst 5 years or a decade .... i guess i am asking what years did you turn on the radio and say, fuck that all sucks i am going to listen too ..... cr****

bmack86
05-18-2009, 11:12 AM
That's tough, because it seems to me that usually, if some of the more mainstream stuff was absolute crap, then the underground can still produce some great music. My kneejerk reaction would be to say 1994-1999, because I don't really like that whole post-grunge sound, and I always think of bands like Len, Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth and Ace of Base as the flip side. But, at the same time, Pavement, Built To Spill, Modest Mouse and tons of other great bands were around at the same time.

I think I'd have to go with 1971-1976. Glam doesn't get me as much as it should, I really like Zep and Pink Floyd's records from that era, but lots of the other prog stuff is too clinical sounding, and I can't think of a large grouping of records from that era that I listen to frequently.

bballarl
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
That Horseflies album is the bee's knees. They were waaaaaay ahead of their time. Probably still are.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 11:16 AM
I threw on the vinyl because of this thread, and it's amazing. I can't believe I paid 99 cents for this.

miscorrections
05-18-2009, 11:31 AM
I endorse this thread.

TallGuyCM
05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Great thread

TommyboyUNM
05-18-2009, 11:34 AM
This thread is good, but a little overrated. So much so that it's starting to become underrated.

amyzzz
05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
This thread is good, but a little overrated. So much so that it's starting to become underrated.
I agree, but that's kind of how good ideas start here. Everyone has to approve.

I also approve, but I don't expect or want anyone to ever nominate me.

bmack86
Y'all should listen to the album. Then it'll go back to being perfectly rated.

roberto73
Good idea, Andrew. And Bryan's a great person to start us off.

bballarl
05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Bryan, nominate Amy for next week. Discomfort often breeds great art, and I think the fact that Amy does not want to participate would bring out the best in her choices.

wmgaretjax
05-18-2009, 11:48 AM
ok. I'll set up a blogspot and PM bryan the account info so he can log in and make his posts... each week we'll pass these on to the next person.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Is it bad that I'm already trying to think of someone who won't recommend an album that I don't know that would potentially blow me away next week since I won't be able to read it right away? I guess the thread will exist into perpetuity, but still.

wmgaretjax
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
http://boardmemberoftheweek.blogspot.com/

the login info has been sent to Bryan and Andrew.

indietron
05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Nice thread! :thu

bballarl
05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Okay, all info will be updated by me in the first post of this thread. If I lose interest, leave on vacation, act lawless, etc., someone else can take the reins and post it elsewhere.

When a person finishes their week, it would be helpful if they could post a summary of their work when they nominate a new person. Cliff Notes baby.

amyzzz
05-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh Jesus, Andrew. :nono

hawkingvsreeve
05-18-2009, 12:15 PM
You are dramatically underestimating our nerd-dom, Amy.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Posted my first entry on the blog. I'm going to try and do two albums per day on Wednesday and thursday since I'll be leaving Friday night. Also, I'll be able to upload my own rips of albums rather than rely on other people's, so there'll be more for me to pull from. Fair warning.

bug on your lip
05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
i can't .rar a mutha @ work

can someone zip this badboi & PM me?

hearts
....:::::bug

SFChrissy
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM

ditto and thanks to everyone for contributing ideas...

wmgaretjax
05-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I would like to add... for the sake of coherence. we should post our thoughts in this post... not in the blog comments.

TomAz
05-18-2009, 02:19 PM
this is a great thread idea. bryan is a great first nominee. I am excited. I am downloading. I hope this thread persists and doesn't rue out.

TomAz
05-18-2009, 02:20 PM
i can't .rar a mutha @ work

can someone zip this badboi & PM me?

hearts
....:::::bug

do you mean your employer automatically blocks the downloading of any and all rar files?

SoulDischarge
05-18-2009, 02:20 PM
This is a cool idea, but I think maybe it could be expanded. Not to overload the MLBMOTW, but there could maybe be a set of pre-determined music related questions to be answered by whoever is chosen for each week. Favorite albums, hated bands, where the person gets their music, favorite music website/periodical, musical phases of their life, if they've ever played an instrument, etc. Just throwing that out there. Either way, it'll be fun to keep up with this thread.

bballarl
05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I would like to add... for the sake of coherence. we should post our thoughts in this post... not in the blog comments.

This is a cool idea, but I think maybe it could be expanded. Not to overload the MLBMOTW, but there could maybe be a set of pre-determined music related questions to be answered by whoever is chosen for each week. Favorite albums, hated bands, where the person gets their music, favorite music website/periodical, musical phases of their life, if they've ever played an instrument, etc. Just throwing that out there. Either way, it'll be fun to keep up with this thread.

Agreed on both counts. Patrick, I like all of your questions. We could use those as a template.

1. (10?) Favorite albums/some comments about them
2. What bands do you hate?
3. Where do you get your music?
4. What is your favorite music website or periodical?
5. Talk about the musical phases of your life.
6. Have you ever played an instrument?

Anyone have some other questions to add? Subtract?

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 02:24 PM

I like that idea... but only to a point. Maybe there could be like 10 questions and the nominated member will answer like 3 of them?

wmgaretjax
05-18-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't think it should be a requirement that a user be assigned a question, but I think it's totally reasonable that the nomination include a topical/question based requirement if the person nominating wants to.

I do think that each week the board member selected should introduce their week with a thesis of sorts of what they are trying to accomplish. Perhaps the questions generated can be a starting point if a person needs help inspiring their week.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Well I know wht I'm going to aim to do this week, which is focus on some albums I love that have been largely bypassed by most listeners (even in the indie realm). As such, they're mostly going to be older albums, although I've got a few newer ones in mind.

Ask questions and I'll gladly answer.

wmgaretjax
05-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I think something else interesting you could address, since your focusing on overlooked albums... is where the album fits into the generally accepted canon. that is, if the albums were recognized, what kind of artists would they be mentioned with in the same sentence...

bballarl
05-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Kind of along the lines of Jared's previous statement: I think the easiest way to go about this is to have the previous week's BMOTW ask a series of questions or a single question or whatever to their nominee. Then the nominee can shape the week on their own terms.

seandlr
05-18-2009, 04:20 PM
The goal of the thread is for users to post over looked albums? I hope so

bballarl
05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
The goal is for people to share music. It is up to the BMOTW as to what they share.

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah it would be difficult stump and wow most of the music buffs on here.

gaypalmsprings
05-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I want to ask a question....who can I ask?

pancakespancakes
05-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah I think ideally it could be a nice mix of getting to know your board members' tastes in music as well as discovering new thing for your own benefit. So someone could share 2 or 3 more obscure or "over-looked" albums, 2 or 3 classics and/or personal favorites, a new favorite from just this past year, and so on and so forth. It's up to whoever it is, of course...

allyjoy
05-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I thoroughly endorse this thread... do it to it, kids! :thu

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I think this should be taken with a grain of salt though. Be creative and do whatever feels best with what you post, just try to create something quality and interesting. Of course to push 3 or 4 incredible and ignored albums would be fantastic, it's a lot to ask for every week.

(that Horse Flies album is pretty sweet, great first post Bmack!)

menikmati
05-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I like this thread.

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/bryannoonan/baby-genius-psa.jpg

miscorrections
05-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Why are y'alls trying to tell Bmack how to do this thing? Given that a) he will deliver a fantastic week guaranteed and b) he is punk rock, your instructions are sort of pointless.

bballarl
05-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Lack of regard for the law is where it's at.

real talk
05-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Sounds cool. Except this:

I do think that each week the board member selected should introduce their week with a thesis of sorts of what they are trying to accomplish. Perhaps the questions generated can be a starting point if a person needs help inspiring their week.

is a little heavy. Isn't the purpose predetermined in that it's for people to share music that is personally important to them? I think restricting the experiment by any further rules such as a mandatory "thesis" and positioning of albums within a "canon" is going to produce pretty dry results. But maybe that's what you're going for. I'm less interested in the academic side and more interested in the personal, emotional side.

To round out my opinion on the idea, which is a nice idea Andrew, I'd encourage the participants to know their audience for this thread to stay afloat.

Checking out the blogspot now.

bballarl
05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
V, just to be clear, Jared's idea isn't a rule. The rules are pretty much made by the BMOTW in terms of what they post, why they are posting it, etc.

real talk
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Well yes, I'm just giving feedback about his idea.

SoulDischarge
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
So I came up with a little survey, expanding on my previous post. I'll leave it all up to the discretion of Andrew if there's any questions that should be added or dropped or if the whole survey thing should be abandoned altogether. It could work as an optional thing, if the BMOTW just wants to share music. But it would give the rest of us some idea where each person is coming from and what we can expect from their daily selections. There's a good number of people on here we know their tastes pretty well, but there's bound to be participants we don't know all that much about musically.

What are ten of your favorite albums?

What was the first show you went to voluntarily? Best? Worst?

If you could shoot one band/artist and a couple hundred of their most die hard fans into space, who would it be?

Favorite instrument?

Instrument you can't stand?

Do you now or have you ever played any instruments?

If you could see any band/artist live, living or dead, from any era, who would it be?

Most embarrassing band/album/song that you genuinely like?

Band/artist/album/genre that you just can't get into no matter how much you try?

How do you get your music? Preferred format?

Favorite music websites/periodicals?

Last album you heard that really struck a chord with you?

Most unusual album in your collection?

PassiveTheory
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I have a question for Bmack.

Let's say that you are being given the opportunity to teach a class, ranging anywhere from 30-100 students, for the duration of a semester/quarter on one aspect of your musical knowledge, with you determining the curriculum and the structure of the class. With those as your guidelines, what is the class called, what will it cover, and who would you invite to be a guest lecturer?

EDIT: I also highly approve of this thread. Good going, Andrew.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 05:31 PM
1. A Few Favorite albums/some comments about them
I'm going to cover the musical phases question within this one. The first album I can think of as being my "favorite" was Out of Time by R.E.M. We used to listen to it in the car quite a bit, and I, in particular, remember driving through the deserts of Arizona and California while it played and thinking it was just perfect. I was about 5 then, and i prefer Automatic to the People now, but that was my first favorite. As a kid I also listened to lots of alternative radio because that's what was always on, so I feel pretty goddamn blessed to have gotten to hear Nirvana, The Smiths, REM, Pearl Jam and oodles of other bands on a daily basis. The first album I bought on my own, and my favorite album during middle school, was Sublime's self-titled. I grew up in Southern California and vividly remembered the riots, so their song about that seemed pretty cool, and they were just offensive enough to feel like I was listening to something that my parents wouldn't approve of. However, i've gotta say that, because of them, i had a period where I listened to all the KROQ shit (nu metal mostly). That happened in large part because we moved up to Bishop, which is a very small redneck town, and I wasn't too happy about it at first. I listened to angry music to compensate (and, fuck it, i was a teenage boy. That's what we do.) While that period's embarrassing, it did lead me to discovering Metallica. After hearing Ride the Lightning, Slipknot and Korn and Limp Bizkit seemed pathetically tame. While I loved the first two albums I mentioned, Ride the Lightning is the first album I obsessed over. I would draw the Metallica M all over my notebooks, i listened to them constantly and I learned all the lyrics. Also, I read interviews with them and bought albums that they recommended. I remembered loving their cover of Green Hell by the Misfits, so i picked up Misfits Collection 1. It wasn't quite ground zero for punk in my world, but it was damn close. Bullet, in particular, just floored me. It was like Metallica in that it was fast and loud, but the lyrics were just so full of violent and disturbing imagery while still sounding fun. Danzig pulled that off so well with that band, and he's never done it since. Anyway, from then on it was all punk, which, living in a small town with K-Mart as the only place to buy music, meant I had lots of Blink 182 and Green Day. in 2001, I read a review for The Argument by Fugazi in Rolling Stone, and they called them the last real punk band. i ordered the album and listened to it, and was confused. It didn't sound hard and fast and angry, and it was damn near pop music. I left it for 6 months or so, but after reading Our Band Could Be Your Life (I credit that more than anything else with bringing me into the cult of music. That book is essential.) I picked it back up, along with records by Black Flag, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Minor Threat and Big Black (as well as all the other bands in there.) I realized that there was all this amazing music out there that I'd never heard of, and from then on I've been digging and digging. I've certainly had phases (Can and NEU! introduced me to Krautrock and I dug for everything I could from that movement. I had a big soul phase where I would listen to Otis Blue every day.) but at this point I just love music wherever and whenever I can get it.

Just to make an arbitrary list of my current 10 favorite albums:
Can-Tago Mago (Where psychedelic rock meets tribal jams and musique concrete and they all realize that they just love to party. Also, listen to the song Oh Yeah and hear the whole reason why this band was so perfect)
Boredoms-Vision Creation Newsun (On Super AE, they shot for the sun. On VCN, they get there)
Fugazi-The Argument
Yo La Tengo-Painful (The best American shoegaze album of the 90s and their most consistent album)
A Tribe Called Quest-The Low End Theory (It's the album that made me "get" hip-hop)
Joanna Newsom-Ys
The Beatles-White Album
Otis Redding-Otis Blue
The Stooges-Raw Power
Nirvana-In Utero

2. What bands do you hate?
For the most part, there's too much music for me to actively hate. However, Bon Jovi. I fucking detest them. They have a good song in my mind, but even then I can't listen to it because of how much fucking studio sheen they put over everything, and what they represent for rock and roll is extraordinarily pathetic. Plus, fuck Jon Bongiovi with a metal rod.

3. Where do you get your music?
I download most of the stuff I get at this point. There's too much music out there for me to hear and I don't have enough money to buy everything. But, whenever I can, I go record shopping. An Amoeba trip usually happens once a month. I also like Counterpoint Books in Los Feliz. They get some awesome used records (I found a first print copy of Zen Arcade) and have really good prices. I also went to Origami in Echo Park recently and was impressed. They're brand new, and they only sell new records, but they had a really fantastic selection. I've made a vow with myself that I'm no longer buying CDs. They're so disposable , and it's more fun to listen to records anyway.

4. What is your favorite music website or periodical?
Oh what a hipster. Pitchfork is the home page on my laptop. They just get more news on bands I like than most other sites. I also use Stereogum and Gorilla Vs. Bear quite a bit, and I'll read Coke Machine Glow because one of my friends started it. As far as magazines, I love Wire when I can afford it because they turn me on to so many things I'd never hear otherwise, and Arthur used to be amazing (and free!) I have a collection of Arthurs somewhere. Lament the loss of that great magazine.

5. Have you ever played an instrument?
I am a sub-par guitar player, a passable bassist and an absolutely horrible mandolin player. In addition to those, I also own an aborigine-made Didgeridoo, an african thumb piano, a few native american bone flutes and random other bric-a-brac that I can make noises with but can't really play.

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Awesome Bmack!

bmack86
05-18-2009, 05:50 PM
1.What was the first show you went to voluntarily? Best? Worst?

2.If you could shoot one band/artist and a couple hundred of their most die hard fans into space, who would it be?

3.Favorite instrument?

4.Instrument you can't stand?

5.If you could see any band/artist live, living or dead, from any era, who would it be?

6.Most embarrassing band/album/song that you genuinely like?

7.Band/artist/album/genre that you just can't get into no matter how much you try?

8.Last album you heard that really struck a chord with you?

Most unusual album in your collection?
1.The first show I went to voluntarily was System of a Down at the Joint in Vegas in 2002. The venue was tiny for them, considering they had the number one album in the nation, and it was a fantastic show. My mom took my brother and I for my birthday. Someone threw up on her shoes and an older lady repeatedly grabbed my ass. We all had a blast. The best show I've seen was Boredoms at the Henry Fonda in LA last year. The crowd went nuts, eYe broke his ankle, they did the whole cosmic thing. People left speechless. The worst I've seen is either Weezer in 2005 or Mindless Self Indulgence opening for SOAD at the aforementioned show. Weezer was a bigger disappointment, but MSI was far worse.

2.At this point I'm inclined to say Radiohead. I love them and all, but damn if they don't have one of the most overbearing fanbases I've ever witnessed. Although it would be really satisfying to go with Boredoms into space. They'd somehow make sure we all survived.

3.A tie between the Banjo and the Marimba. They both have great unique sounds.

4.I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but it's tough for someone to make the harpsichord sound good to me. It sounds like kid's music.

5.It'd have to be Otis Redding. I come to tears almost every time that I hear a live recording of him. I also would have killed to have gone to one of the early cutting sessions that Dizzy Gillespie and Bird played. Those two pushing eachother to the edges of speed.

6.Sheena Easton's song that goes "My baby takes the morning train/She works from 9-5 and then..." Love it, but it's absolute crap.

7.I really want to get into Pulp/Jarvis Cocker, but every time I listen to anything, I just get bored. Even live, Jarvis seemed exciting, but his music was so boring to me.

8.Veckatimest. Hearing that felt like hearing the Beatles for me. Hyperbole? Maybe, but give it a few years.

I have a question for Bmack.

Let's say that you are being given the opportunity to teach a class, ranging anywhere from 30-100 students, for the duration of a semester/quarter on one aspect of your musical knowledge, with you determining the curriculum and the structure of the class. With those as your guidelines, what is the class called, what will it cover, and who would you invite to be a guest lecturer?

EDIT: I also highly approve of this thread. Good going, Andrew.

The class is called Our Band Could be your life. It covers the American punk movement from 1974 (we wanna be able to get Rocket from the Tombs and Electric Eels) to 1991. I would probably start with an overview, then take 2-3 year periods and do a class apiece for the west coast, the east coast and everywhere else. So, for example, in 77-80, you'd get LA punk with the Germs, the Weirdos, the Screamers, the Dils, X, as well as SF Punk with DK, The Avengers and Flipper, and then all the CBGB bands for NY. The midwest and elsewhere gave you Pylon, Pere Ubu, the Dead Boys (sure they moved to New York, but fuck off) and others. I'd want to have either Ian MacKaye or Bob Mould as my speaker; both of them are perfect representations of the ethos of that era, and they're both still going strong.

SoulDischarge
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
the Dead Boys (sure they moved to New York, but fuck off)

Yeah. New York gets everything cool. All we have are these asshole punk bands, and we will fight you to the death over them. We're claiming the Cramps too.

seandlr
05-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm just curious, bmack, do you like Against Me!?

seandlr
05-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I mean pre new-wave against me!

bmack86
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I like New-Wave even, for what it is. My problem with Against Me! is Tom Gabel's voice has a little too much of the emocore sound at times, but the first record is really fantastic.

I tend to like my punk bands with more crust and/or psychedelics.

MissingPerson
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
1.The first show I went to voluntarily was System of a Down at the Joint in Vegas in 2002. The venue was tiny for them, considering they had the number one album in the nation, and it was a fantastic show. My mom took my brother and I for my birthday.

This right here is so very, very cool.

bmack, while you're at it:

You're going to be stranded on a desert island. You can pick five discs worth of music to accompany you but, in a fit of cruelty, they cannot be your five ideal ones. Your five runner-up desert island discs, please.

And hey, which musician do you pretend you are when nobody's around?

seandlr
05-18-2009, 06:12 PM
I like New-Wave even, for what it is. My problem with Against Me! is Tom Gabel's voice has a little too much of the emocore sound at times, but the first record is really fantastic.

I tend to like my punk bands with more crust and/or psychedelics.

I'm not that huge on the punk scene, more or less the folk punk music genre is what I prefer, but AM! Blows me away.and by first record, which do you mean?

seandlr
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
You have about 3 choices

wmgaretjax
05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
You have about 3 choices

I think he means Reinventing.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 06:20 PM
This right here is so very, very cool.

bmack

You're going to be stranded on a desert island. You can pick five discs worth of music to accompany you but, in a fit of cruelty, they cannot be your five ideal ones. Your five runner-up desert island discs, please.

Which musician do you pretend you are when nobody's around?

1.Aphex Twin-The Richard D. James album (I wouldn't lean towards electronica as my music of choice, but this'd definitely be a good companion, especially at night when the sun's going down and I contemplate how long I'll be stuck on this godforsaken island.)

2.Steve Reich-Music for 18 Musicians (Minimalism wouldn't be something I'd think to bring with me anywhere, but I bet the trance-inducing sound of this album would lead me to get tons of work done without even noticing it. It lulls me out and lets me just work.)

3.Sugar-Copper Blue (I'll never like Sugar as much as Husker Du, but for good loud pop music, stuff to pick me up when I'm getting down, this'd do the trick.)

4.The Jesus Lizard-Goat (Neither my favorite Touch and Go noise band (Big Black) or my favorite Jesus Lizard album (Liar) this'd nevertheless be my hunting music. THe animals would be so terrified that they'd just come out of their hovels and sacrifice themselves to my hand made rock knife.)

5.Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits (So I can blast Thank You when someone comes to save me.)

I actually grew my mustache after seeing a picture of Greg Norton from Husker Du. I think I'd like to say I pretend to be Thurston Moore, but even moreso when people are around: spouting non-sequiturs, talking about obscure music and being goofily weird.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 06:21 PM
I think he means Reinventing.

Indeed I do.

Anybody listen to the Horseflies yet?

bballarl
05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Well yes, I'm just giving feedback about his idea.

I know. I was just making sure.

I actually grew my mustache after seeing a picture of Greg Norton from Husker Du. I think I'd like to say I pretend to be Thurston Moore, but even moreso when people are around: spouting non-sequiturs, talking about obscure music and being goofily weird.

Respect.

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 06:46 PM
2.Steve Reich-Music for 18 Musicians (Minimalism wouldn't be something I'd think to bring with me anywhere, but I bet the trance-inducing sound of this album would lead me to get tons of work done without even noticing it. It lulls me out and lets me just work.)

Whoa nice!!

Indeed I do.

Yeah its really good... it blows away the 4-5 albums I had in mind when it came to "Ignored" albums.

Alchemy
05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Indeed I do.

I've been listening to it, and I've been liking it.

kreutz2112
05-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Bryan, was that SOAD show in Vegas the one where The Mars Volta were suppoosed to be the opener, but then they had to cancel their tour? If it was, I almost went to that, but didn't because TMV pulled out.

Also, who is in your fantasy band?

Wheres the beef?
05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi. This is just an idea, so if it falls by the wayside that is totally cool. I think we should have a BMOTW for the Music Lounge. The thinking is that they post a new album each day that people can download, listen to, and comment on. The MLBMOTW would theoretically introduce people to new music, could post favorites that they may dislike now but have nostalgic significance, etc.

Don't you mean CVMAFMBNCDMLBMOTW?

kreutz2112
05-18-2009, 07:27 PM
explain.

miscorrections
05-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival Message Board - Non-Coachella Discussion - Music Lounge - Board Member Of The Week.

Alchemy
05-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Ha! Quite good! Quite good!

BlackSwan

I listened to it earlier today. The album is really interesting and I enjoyed it. It's nothing I would ever seek out on my own, but I appreciate the underlying style.

wmgaretjax
I listened to The Horse Flies album... For the most part it's not really my thing, it all felt pretty cut and dry and the songs didn't really grab me. None of it bothered me, except the really corny production and reverb on the strings. The exception being "Human Fly" and "I Live Where It's Gray." Those two tracks made the listen entirely worth it. The former had a ton of energy, and I was really hoping it would carry through the rest of the album. The latter seemed to come out of leftfield, but it also took the interesting elements of the other songs and fit them into a fairly coherent artistic statement. For all the flatness of the other songs, this one seemed to best capture what the band was trying to accomplish. I would never have listened to this otherwise, so thanks for the tip.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Bryan, was that SOAD show in Vegas the one where The Mars Volta were suppoosed to be the opener, but then they had to cancel their tour? If it was, I almost went to that, but didn't because TMV pulled out.

Also, who is in your fantasy band?

God damn, I'm not sure but that'd make sense. They were big enough that they could have had a decent opener. Instead, Mindless Self Indulgence and Sludge.

Fantasy band!
Lead Guitar:Michael Karoli (Can)
Rhythm Guitar: Bob Mould (Husker Du)
Bass:John Famiglietti (HEALTH)
Drums: Yoshimi P-We/Izumi Kiyoshi (Boredoms)
Vocals: Angus Young (Liars)
Electronics/Turntables/insanity: eYe (Boredoms)

That band would be the most psychedelically intense punk band ever to exist.

bmack86
05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I listened to The Horse Flies album... For the most part it's not really my thing, it all felt pretty cut and dry and the songs didn't really grab me. None of it bothered me, except the really corny production and reverb on the strings. The exception being "Human Fly" and "I Live Where It's Gray." Those two tracks made the listen entirely worth it. The former had a ton of energy, and I was really hoping it would carry through the rest of the album. The latter seemed to come out of leftfield, but it also took the interesting elements of the other songs and fit them into a fairly coherent artistic statement. For all the flatness of the other songs, this one seemed to best capture what the band was trying to accomplish. I would never have listened to this otherwise, so thanks for the tip.

I tend to agree with you here. Those two songs are definitely the standouts, although I like the other ones as well.

jazzz
05-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm late to this thread but this is great!

real talk
05-18-2009, 11:16 PM
My two cents on Horse Flies:

The first two tracks were not my bag of tea. I have no idea what innovative electronic gimmetry went into the production but it comes off sounding like putting beautiful instruments all up in a synthesizer which makes me cringe.

Jenny on the Railroad was more my speed, can't fix a fiddle. Good stuff.

The blues song is pretty natural. When is this album from? Guy sounds like Neil Young. A little bit too sparse for me.

Hey what's up banjo? Cornbread...I wish the banjo was louder. banjo>fiddle IMHO

I want to imagine the drums on Who Throwed Lye on My Dog are live drums, but I suspect they aren't. This song has cool loops. I kindof like the disintegration of a fiddle lick into a techno beat. Kindof.

Again with I think It's Gray - Is that a woodflute or a synthesizer? The loops on this are awesome too. I like this one. I like the humour and intense techno banjo.

Link of chain - Blueman's daughter - some nice traditional bluegrass. Is Blueman's daughter a different singer? I like his voice better than the Neil Young guy.

***Great unknown album, Bmack. I'm looking forward to your next selection.

bug on your lip
05-19-2009, 05:33 AM
do you mean your employer automatically blocks the downloading of any and all rar files?

don't i need to dl WinRar or some other program to my work computer in able to open a rar file?
If so i am unable to download a program like that...

TomAz
05-19-2009, 06:03 AM
winzip opens rar files

bug on your lip
05-19-2009, 08:11 AM
i can't dl winzip either

step one

just zip the damn thing for me u old codger

ShyGuy75
05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
wow. just when you thought this forum couldn't get any more depressing and desperate, BOOM!!!....this thread.

some of you really need a hobby.

real talk
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Listening to/talking about/writing about music is a hobby.

TomAz
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
bug: your mother taught you better manners than that.

ShyGuy75
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
playing music is a hobby.

giving your worthless opinion on art is not. try again.

TomAz
05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
wow. just when you thought this forum couldn't get any more depressing and desperate, BOOM!!!....this thread.

some of you really need a hobby.

you have nearly 1800 posts on a message board you despise. who needs a hobby?

real talk
05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Worth is in the eye of the beholder.

wmgaretjax
05-19-2009, 10:07 AM
i wonder how much worth there is in giving your opinion on whether or not other people should be spending time offering their opinions...

TomAz
05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
meta-worthless. nice.

real talk
05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
More like MeanGuy amirite

BlackSwan
05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
ShyGuy, did your post really not seem retarded before you posted it? It seems like it would be very obvious.

ShyGuy75
05-19-2009, 10:24 AM
me trying to help some of you better your lives should not be met with such knee jerk negativity. this is the type of behavior that has put you in the dark situation you are in now. think about it. correct it. make a difference.

TomAz
05-19-2009, 10:42 AM

I liked the first track.

bmack86
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Alright guys. I'm helping my mom in her classroom right now, so I've not been able to post, but I'm currently weighing my options for a few albums. I'm glad some of you enjoyed the Horseflies, and the next one should be even more enjoyable. I'll try to get it up in a few hours.

ShyGuy, I just plain don't understand why you come on here. You seem to not enjoy discussing music, so why? Constantly pestering people and interrupting conversation is not a hobby, no matter how much you'd like to think it is.

TomAz
05-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Come on bryan. he's trying to help us better our lives. he's mother teresa for us the socially inept.

disgustipated
05-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Liking the Horse Flies. very unique sound for the genre. almost haunting.

love the thread.

ShyGuy75
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
i don't understand it either, bmack.

i also don't understand how none of the modern day schonberg’s on this forum don't have jobs writing for major music outlets. one would think that such qualified, spot on, broken down opinions should be shared with the masses instead of wasting away on this forum for the same 6 people to stroke each off with.

oh, the mysteries of life....

bballarl
05-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Only music critics can share opinions about music you fuckheads.

wmgaretjax
05-19-2009, 12:50 PM
i also don't understand how none of the modern day schonberg’s on this forum don't have jobs writing for major music outlets.

one minute we are would-be serialist composers, the next we are aspiring pitchfork writers... i'm having trouble tracking our fallacies.

real talk
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
I wonder if writing for Pitchfork counts as a hobby.

sonofhal
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
This weekend will be spent going to nightclubs who play music i dislike and asking them to stop playing music i dislike. I think it will be a valuable use of my time.

ShyGuy75
05-19-2009, 01:01 PM
poor wmgaretjax. consistently failing wit101 while longing for acceptance on an internet message board. :nono

PassiveTheory
05-19-2009, 01:02 PM
me trying to help some of you better your lives should not be met with such knee jerk negativity. this is the type of behavior that has put you in the dark situation you are in now. think about it. correct it. make a difference.

Our hero.

hawkingvsreeve
05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
They're turning on you, Aaron.

wmgaretjax
05-19-2009, 01:15 PM
:nono

even emoticons fail to capture the severity of my insecurity.

miscorrections
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for making me snort, Jared. I've been wanting a new sig for a while.

bmack86
05-19-2009, 02:11 PM
so, hey, remember how we were talking about music in this thread and not an insecure middle school teacher who goes onto a music message board to insult people for talking about music on a music message board?

Lets do that again.

real talk
05-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Bryan I love Otis Blue but Pain in My Heart is my favorite.

PassiveTheory
05-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Bryan, are you still going to upload the album that that youtube vid you linked me to in chat last night is off of?

If so... awesome.

bmack86
05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
That'll be wednesday or thursday because I have to go back home to get it.

ShyGuy75
05-19-2009, 02:30 PM
algunz is here?

can we just all get back to stroking bmacks ego? please!?!?! can't you see he is getting upset! and he has to help his mom for christ sakes! ungrateful asshats, the whole lot of you!

**jared, you are next in line to bless this thread with all things great, so no need to keep posting. we see how anxious you are for your turn, even though you continue to make hipsters around the world proud with the nonchalant brush offs of what is really going on**

wmgaretjax
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
you continue to make hipsters around the world proud with the nonchalant brush offs of what is really going on

certainly there is no lack of indifference on my part! i pride myself in my chalance.

Hannahrain
05-19-2009, 02:39 PM
I feel like when you say "chalance" you're talking about a creme-colored ruffly scarf that you wear perfectly centered down your front.

wmgaretjax
05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
I feel like when you say "chalance" you're talking about a creme-colored ruffly scarf that you wear perfectly centered down your front.

actually i've taken to wearing knitted ponchos lately. multi-color.

i was actually hoping you could knit me a new one.

bballarl
05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
This thread is only moderately attractive. I probably wouldn't hit it.

Hannahrain
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
actually i've taken to wearing knitted ponchos lately. multi-color.

i was actually hoping you could knit me a new one.

Should I put a second head-hole in for your daughter?

wmgaretjax
05-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Should I put a second head-hole in for your daughter?

hahahaha. yes.

hawkingvsreeve
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
This thread is only moderately attractive. I probably wouldn't hit it.

What about....

now?

bballarl
05-19-2009, 03:10 PM
This thread is suddenly pretty attractive. I would definitely work it into my social calendar, and probably make a move.

Hannahrain
05-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Suddenly, this thread is 25.

bmack86
05-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I posted album number 2 (along with writeup) on the blog.

It's the Saints-Eternally Yours, which is one of my favorite recent discoveries. A really ripping old school punk record from Australia, and they have some really awesome horns playing throughout. I'm a sucker for horns.

bballarl
05-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Suddenly, this thread is 25.

Zing.

It's the Saints-Eternally Yours, which is one of my favorite recent discoveries. A really ripping old school punk record from Australia, and they have some really awesome horns playing throughout. I'm a sucker for horns.

Another good choice.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Solid work going on in this thread. I'll wait til we get back to the music talk to add questions. In the mean time thanks for the lulz. I really do enjoy them.

schoolofruckus
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes, I have highly enjoyed everything in the MLBWMOTW thread thus far, with the usual exception of ShyGuy's contributions.

I have downloaded both albums and plan on giving them a dedicated listen sometime very soon.

NicoDread
05-19-2009, 04:29 PM
The Saints! I prefer their first album, but their second one is awesome as well.

greghead
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM

Fantastic choice! I don't recall the first time I heard it, but I know the last ten years of my life would not have been complete without it.

bmack86
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Solid work going on in this thread. I'll wait til we get back to the music talk to add questions. In the mean time thanks for the lulz. I really do enjoy them.

I'm home. Ask away.

bballarl
05-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Bryan: Who do you feel are the closest American equivalent of the Saints?

Alchemy
05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Bryan: You can pick any band/artist to cover an album that they didn't write. Which band/artist? Which album will they cover? Why?

Aurgasm
05-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I'd like to participate! sorry if i missed it, but how do we know when its our turn to submit?

bballarl
05-19-2009, 08:26 PM
You get nominated by the previous week's MLBMOTW. So, it's luck of the draw basically.

Aurgasm
05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
understood. guess i'll wait my turn

bmack86
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM

My immediate thought was the Bell-Rays, in that they're a fantastic group that successfully blends old punk with old soul sounds. I was trying to think of an American punk band that pulls that sound off well, but most of the horn-loving punkish bands go ska.
And, for the record, Dexy's Midnight Runners were briefly a band that could compete with the Saints as well. They did the Celtic Punk/Soul thing on the first album then released a single as a soul punk act before becoming the band that did Too-Rye-Aye.

Bryan: You can pick any band/artist to cover an album that they didn't write. Which band/artist? Which album will they cover? Why?

I really want to hear Sonic Youth's proposed cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. They did Within You Without You for the Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father compilation, and apparently planned on releasing a cover of the whole album. I'd love to hear them do a wicked version of A Day in the Life, and I'm sure they'd completely change most of the songs to make them Youth-like. It'd probably have some of the most interesting Beatles covers ever. As an aside, if you've never checked out out that compilation, it's not really worth it except for two songs: the aforementioned SY cover, and the Fall's version of A Day in the Life.

I'd also love to hear someone like No Age or HEALTH cover Ege Bamyasi by Can. Neither of the bands has the technical acumen of Can, but they're so creative that they'd make something unique and probably very much their own out of the record.

Tylerdurden31
05-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Bryan...buddy ole pal. I've seen you go crazy to Les Savy Fav and other bands, but if you were in a more sophistimicated mood, who's your classical composer of choice?

SoulDischarge
05-20-2009, 04:23 AM
the Fall's version of A Day in the Life.

This is something I must hear immediately.

EDIT: Hahaha. This is either brilliant or terrible. It's hard to tell with Mark E. Smith some times.

ShyGuy75
05-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Yes, I have highly enjoyed everything in the MLBWMOTW thread thus far, with the usual exception of ShyGuy's contributions.

well there you have it folks. this thread is now officially great.

bmack86
05-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Bryan...buddy ole pal. I've seen you go crazy to Les Savy Fav and other bands, but if you were in a more sophistimicated mood, who's your classical composer of choice?

It depends on what I'm looking for. I love Steve Reich's middle period work, where he had all the marimbas and percussion instruments making those beautiful swirling pieces. If I want something more orchestral I tend to go with Shostakovich or Arvo Part, but I'll always be down with Beethoven and Mozart as well. My favorite Mozart piece is Symphony 25 in G Minor. It has such a kickass opening melody.

Alchemy
05-20-2009, 08:08 AM
well there you have it folks. this thread is now officially great.

Isn't it? I mean, you and I can't stay away from it, despite our real hobbies being neglected for our lesser, bad habits of indulging in each other's thoughts on music. Discourse will be the death of us!

schoolofruckus
05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
He's just mad that I saw Silversun Pickups before he'd ever heard of them.

ShyGuy75
05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
you seem a little upset, alchemy. as a staunch defender of all things great on this board, please don't be. one can only lead a horse to water....

Alchemy
05-20-2009, 08:33 AM
you seem a little upset, alchemy. as a staunch defender of all things great on this board, please don't be. one can only lead a horse to water....

I am a little upset, ShyGuy. Can you tell me what I should do with my life? One can't talk about snake poison without talking about snakes....

ShyGuy75
05-20-2009, 08:37 AM
He's just mad that I saw Silversun Pickups before he'd ever heard of them.

lies, unless you saw them when they were A Couple of Couples. i'm sure you will lie some more now and say you did.

gabe, are you still mad at me from when your girl thought i was someone else, went typical batshit crazy on me, got checked for it forcing you to come to the rescue with a threat of violence on me ... then ultimatly backing down when called on it? poor you.

ShyGuy75
05-20-2009, 08:47 AM
I am a little upset, ShyGuy. Can you tell me what I should do with my life?

you should put your talents to good use and make a remix of the scorpians: winds of change.

bmack86
05-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Can I make a request? Please don't quote him. I'm fine reading y'alls responses, but I don't want to deal with Aaron anymore, and ignore doesn't work if people go on quoting everything he writes.

thanks!

ShyGuy75
05-20-2009, 08:50 AM
yes everyone. please stop upsetting bmack. if this keeps up, he may stop telling us how great EVERY band he has ever listened to is.

Alchemy
05-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Apologies, Mr. Bryan.

Question: Hypothetically, (let's say you have to do this) if you were going to try and be the next American Idol, what song would you sing for the judges?

bmack86
05-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow. That'd be funny since I can't sing. I'd probably try for something ridiculously out of my range and something that'd likewise confuse the hell out of them, like Clara by Scott Walker. That'd be a lark.

wmgaretjax
05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
haha

schoolofruckus
05-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Aaron, I'm the one who thinks you're Everlay. And I still do. You possess all the same rambling fauxfundity and ultimate emptiness that is needed to create a piece of shit such as this (http://www.thapeeps.com/).

You're the keyboard warrior, not I.

ShyGuy75
05-20-2009, 09:22 AM
:lool :lool :lool :lool :lool :lool :lool :lool :lool :lool :lool :lool

just when you thought this thread couldn't get any BETTER! BOOM!! gabe morphs into frank hardy. priceless, gabe. no. seriously. priceless.

TomAz
05-20-2009, 09:23 AM
grown men should not use emoticons.

anyway. Bryan. you have won a free trip in a time machine. what music do you seek out and why?

ShyGuy75
05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
:sorry

bballarl
05-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Bryan:

How do you think No Age will ultimately be remembered/talked about in 20 years?

luckyface
05-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Bryan -
Name your favorite album of the decade for the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s.

fiyahhh!
05-20-2009, 12:41 PM
bmack,
If you could keep one artist in the history of music from dying before their time, who would you pick?

bleep
05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
bmack,
favorite actor/actress turned singer/musician (or vice versa)?

schoolofruckus
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Bryan - Since you are also a noted film buff, please give me a top 10 (or so (http://www.empireonline.com/features/cameron-crowe-greatest-music-moments/)) list of your favorite uses of songs in movies.

bmack86
05-20-2009, 01:26 PM
grown men should not use emoticons.

anyway. Bryan. you have won a free trip in a time machine. what music do you seek out and why?

I guess the question is, do I have to come back after a certain amount of time? If not, I drop myself off in Hamburg, Germany in 1960 and start watching the Beatles on the Reeperbahn. 63/64ish I come over the US and spend some time in Memphis to hear all the Stax groups play every night, then head over to San Francisco by 65 to catch the start of the psychedelic movement. I'd jump between there, London and New York for the next few years, making sure to see early VU shows. Over to Cologne by 1970 to hear the early Can, NEU!, Faust and Kraftwerk shows. I'd do New York over London for 77 punk, and then off to LA throughout the 80s, because pretty much every awesome underground band played there at least once.

If I had to go to only one show, I'd travel to Monterey Pop.

Bryan:

How do you think No Age will ultimately be remembered/talked about in 20 years?

I'm reticent to say. I think it will depend quite a bit on the next album. Right now, if they were to quit, they'd be remembered as a fun and exciting live band that put out two fun albums and, more importantly, galvanized a scene in LA for the first time in quite a while. IF they can knock out a few more albums that capitalize even more on their developing pop sense, they might be able to hit Pavement levvel. They probably won't be able to get any bigger than that.

Bryan -
Name your favorite album of the decade for the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s.

60s: It's either the White Album or White Light/White Heat, and I usually lean White Album.
70s: Can-Tago Mago
80s: I'm inclined to say either Husker Du-Zen Arcade or Sonic Youth-Daydream Nation
90s: Pavement-Slanted and Enchanted
00s: Boredoms-Vision Creation Newsun

bmack,
If you could keep one artist in the history of music from dying before their time, who would you pick?

As much as I want to say Otis Redding (and he's probably the right choice), I'd go with D. Boon of the Minutemen. He was getting so singular in his style and he was starting really expand his songwriting at the time of his death. I'll always wonder how far they could have gone if he'd not died.

bmack,
favorite actor/actress turned singer/musician (or vice versa)?

Nothing really jumps out off the top of my head. I loved Iggy Pop in Pete and Pete, and Richard Edson (Sonic Youth's first drummer) was briefly entertaining in Ferris Bueller and better in Good Morning Vietnam. I love Zooey Deschanel's version of I Put a Spell on You, but She and Him was so so.

Bryan - Since you are also a noted film buff, please give me a top 10 (or so (http://www.empireonline.com/features/cameron-crowe-greatest-music-moments/)) list of your favorite uses of songs in movies.

I'll come back to this because I want to really mull it over.

wmgaretjax
05-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Over to Cologne by 1970 to hear the early Can, NEU!, Faust and Kraftwerk shows.

There it is.

Jon Blazed
05-20-2009, 01:42 PM
algunz is here?

can we just all get back to stroking bmacks ego? please!?!?! can't you see he is getting upset! and he has to help his mom for christ sakes! ungrateful asshats, the whole lot of you!

**jared, you are next in line to bless this thread with all things great, so no need to keep posting. we see how anxious you are for your turn, even though you continue to make hipsters around the world proud with the nonchalant brush offs of what is really going on**

LOL

The Stooges muthafucker. Actually, it sounds like the Saints were influenced by the Stooges...

I was trying to think of an American punk band that pulls that sound off well, but most of the horn-loving punkish bands go ska.

This is why ShyGuy75 speaks the truth.

miscorrections
05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Is your name Bmack? Shut up.

bug on your lip
05-20-2009, 01:51 PM
why are the all fucktards spilling over from the Bonnaroo meet-up thread?
what's going on in there?

BlackSwan
05-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Is your name Bmack? Shut up.

miscorrections speaks the truest truth.

Jon Blazed
05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
miscorrections speaks the truest truth.

Yeah, but we all know that I am wanting to start trouble..

please dont. you dont know who you are messing with.

PassiveTheory
05-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice edit.

BlackSwan
05-20-2009, 02:08 PM
please dont. you dont know who you are messing with.

That's right edit your post.

Does your dad work for Honeywell too?

AlecEiffel
05-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Where do you think popular music would have headed if the Beatles had never formed? Do you think they may have become famous individually or with other bands? Do you think things would be vastly different now or more or less the same?

bmack86
05-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Where do you think popular music would have headed if the Beatles had never formed? Do you think they may have become famous individually or with other bands? Do you think things would be vastly different now or more or less the same?

I've wondered that. The Beatles were so important because the validated rock and pop music as something artistic in quite a few peoples eyes, and they were able to do that because they were so damn popular. I'm sure another band could have come along that would have validated rock music to the masses at some point, but the Beatles did it so well because they were so widely loved. Rock would probably still be around in some form, but I don't think it would still be as widely discussed, recorded and loved.

Paul McCartney would have become famous because it seems like that's what he's made for. George Harrison and Ringo would probably have joined small Merseybeat bands that did well locally, but never really took off. John Lennon I'd have no clue. He was a great songwriter with a decent voice, but I don't know if he would have fully developed without working with Paul. Same with Paul, except he would have just gone off and written cheesy pop songs and girls would have fallen in love with him because he's cute.

AlecEiffel
05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
So you do feel like the Lennon/McCartney team was imperative and that separately could not have done what they did together?

bmack86
05-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Definitely. At the start, according to all accounts, they were writing their songs together. That was a really important way for them to develop their songwriting skills and helped them develop their own unique styles. At least, that's what I'd say.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-20-2009, 03:07 PM
just finished reading most of this thread, really great stuff

too busy at work to actively participate, just reading while recording VO...but i want to nod approvingly

RotationSlimWang
05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
i'd like to know how bryan thinks rock music would be looked at today if dinosaurs still roamed the earth. bmack, do you have any completely unfounded and preposterous speculation on how the space time continuum might have been affected had richie valenz buddy holly survived that plane crash?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm home. Ask away.

Damn, I'm 24 hours late and I forgot my question....

kreutz2112
05-20-2009, 05:21 PM
why are the all fucktards spilling over from the Bonnaroo meet-up thread?
what's going on in there?

i'd like to know how bryan thinks rock music would be looked at today if dinosaurs still roamed the earth. bmack, do you have any completely unfounded and preposterous speculation on how the space time continuum might have been affected had richie valenz buddy holly survived that plane crash?

bballarl
05-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Bryan:

Cossacks are charging in. Charging through a field of white roses. What do you do?

bmack86
05-20-2009, 05:39 PM
I put on a swanky suit.

bmack86
05-20-2009, 05:48 PM

If Dinosaurs still roamed the earth, rock music wouldn't exist because we'd be prey rather than the ultimate predators. We wouldn't have time to bang our heads and mosh because we'd be running from the chilling pounding of footsteps just around the corner. (Or, it'd sound like that Led Zeppelin reunion. badumcha)

If Buddy Holly and Richie Valenz survived the crash, they would have both been extraordinarily prolific fathers, and would have birthed a whole generation of goofily suave kids that can't play music very well, but who nevertheless would have gotten recording contracts because of their famous fathers. As a result, bands with marginal draw to begin with (Bread, Air Supply, light rock) would have flourished on independent labels. The punk movement never happens because the underground is so filled with light rock, and a whole generation of people are raised to believe that yachting and pink collared shirts are amazing. And, Don McClean would have no career.

canexplain
05-20-2009, 05:59 PM
And, Don McClean would have no career

so true, that made me chuckle

bmack very impressive ......

cr****

bmack86
05-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Alright guys, album 3 is up on the blog. Circulatory System-Signal Morning. Go get it.

wmgaretjax
05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I put on a swanky suit.

A saint and a scholar.

SoulDischarge
05-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Someone, let's say Randy for entertainment's sake, has just murdered everyone you love, and the only way that you can strike revenge is through musical torture. How would you go about it?

gaypalmsprings
05-20-2009, 07:09 PM
arcade fire

PassiveTheory
05-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Can it be like in A Clockwork Orange where that person just so happens to have a physiological repulsion to the music?

bmack86
05-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Someone, let's say Randy for entertainment's sake, has just murdered everyone you love, and the only way that you can strike revenge is through musical torture. How would you go about it?

Randy's entirely too easy. All I have to do is play him a bunch of the music I love, and he'll say it sucks, and then I'll have Liars come and play live and he'll really start to say it sucks and then I'll have Les Savy Fav play and he'll get frustrated and then I'd have Angus from Liars and Tim from LSF join up and do a 10 hour acapella scream off while their band members play formless dissonant noise behind it. Repeat.

schoolofruckus
05-20-2009, 11:22 PM
How would you seek vengeance if I was the real killer?

Neutral Milk Hotel
05-20-2009, 11:50 PM
This is an awesome idea.

buddy
05-21-2009, 12:06 AM
whats your favorite album to relax/comfort you? i.e. your linus blanket.

bmack86
05-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I have two albums that I'll always put on when I want to relax. If it's sunny, or if the sun is going down, I use The Milk-Eyed Mender by Joanna Newsom. Listening to that brings me out to a country sort of headspace, and it's really calming. For night time, I'll invariably toss on Sonic Youth-Murray Street. It reminds me of a city at night, with the lights shining and the streets empty and everything calm.

AlecEiffel
05-21-2009, 12:03 PM
What are your favorite albums to drive to?

Aurgasm
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
at night... gotta be the Lost Highway and Spawn soundtracks... they are so filthy and fun

amyzzz
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Isn't that Bryan's question to answer? WTF is going on in here?

Aurgasm
05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Isn't that Bryan's question to answer? WTF is going on in here?

it is! haha i just had to throw my two cents in. sorry!!!

on another note, it seems even this thread isn't safe from mindless bickering

bmack86
05-21-2009, 05:38 PM
What are your favorite albums to drive to?

I really love Calexico-Feast of Wire when I'm driving thru the desert. City at night, I enjoy putting on some Kraftwerk, especially The Man-Machine. NEU!s first album is just about perfect driving music, though.

bmack86
05-21-2009, 05:39 PM
And, soon I'll put up two albums, since I'll be leaving tomorrow night.

bmack86
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Album number four is up.

The Screamers-Demos 77-78. One of the first synth punk bands. Excuse the quality, they only recorded demos.

PassiveTheory
05-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey Bryan, what are 5 records in your collection that you still/often listen to that would surprise the people who know you on here?

bmack86
05-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Kiss-Destroyer
Phish-Any number of live shows
White Zombie-Astrocreep 2000
Donna Summer-I Feel Love
Abba-Gold

bmack86
05-21-2009, 10:25 PM
And entry number 5 is up. The Weirdos - Weird World, Vol. 1. Another fantastic first wave Los Angeles Punk band.

RotationSlimWang
05-21-2009, 10:42 PM
If Dinosaurs still roamed the earth, rock music wouldn't exist because we'd be prey rather than the ultimate predators. We wouldn't have time to bang our heads and mosh because we'd be running from the chilling pounding of footsteps just around the corner. (Or, it'd sound like that Led Zeppelin reunion. badumcha)

If Buddy Holly and Richie Valenz survived the crash, they would have both been extraordinarily prolific fathers, and would have birthed a whole generation of goofily suave kids that can't play music very well, but who nevertheless would have gotten recording contracts because of their famous fathers. As a result, bands with marginal draw to begin with (Bread, Air Supply, light rock) would have flourished on independent labels. The punk movement never happens because the underground is so filled with light rock, and a whole generation of people are raised to believe that yachting and pink collared shirts are amazing. And, Don McClean would have no career.

Excellent comments, Bmack. Clearly humans could never have conquered dinosaurs, although they conquered everything else in the entire world. Thanks for the heads up.

Richie Valenz couldn't have been stopped from being a prolific father of rock music either. It's not like he was just some shlub one-hit wonder who was playing the opening slot of a three-act club tour. And you're definitely right about their impact increasing the volume of "light rock" in the future--after all, they were a unique pocket of light rock at the time. Actually everything sounded like that back then. Damn.

It definitely does make sense that it's hard to say if three-quarters of The Beatles would have been successful as solo artists but that Buddy Holly and Richie Valenz would've changed the face of rock permanently had they lived.

Some more questions:

1. GIVEN: Hitler was never born. NOW: What of underground hip-hop?
2. GIVEN: The Antichrist reveals himself on Earth and commences the real, biblical Apocalypse. A resurrected Christ never shows up to save all from the torturous collapse of society. NOW: How much more influential do you think No Age--a band I've never heard of anywhere but on this message board--will be in this terrifying reality?
3. GIVEN: Same as number two but Terminators instead of Antichrist and Grizzly Bear?

SoulDischarge
05-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Ok. Hypothetical. Assuming Randy didn't have his head up his own ass 22 hours out of the day, what would his top 5 albums of all time be?

Also, always good to see some Screamers love.

PassiveTheory
05-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Kiss-Destroyer

You're Chuck Klosterman in disguise, aren't you?

bullokz
05-22-2009, 04:40 AM
algunz is here?

lulz

fucking awesome

bballarl
05-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Lollerskatez

bballarl
05-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Bmack: You need to select the new BMOTW before you leave. Just a head's up.

wmgaretjax
05-22-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm really loving the Screamers record.

mountmccabe
05-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm reticent to say. I think it will depend quite a bit on the next album. Right now, if they were to quit, they'd be remembered as a fun and exciting live band that put out two fun albums and, more importantly, galvanized a scene in LA for the first time in quite a while. IF they can knock out a few more albums that capitalize even more on their developing pop sense, they might be able to hit Pavement levvel. They probably won't be able to get any bigger than that.

2. GIVEN: The Antichrist reveals himself on Earth and commences the real, biblical Apocalypse. A resurrected Christ never shows up to save all from the torturous collapse of society. NOW: How much more influential do you think No Age--a band I've never heard of anywhere but on this message board--will be in this terrifying reality?

Randy, a question: Have you heard of Pavement anywhere but on this message board?

SoulDischarge
05-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Are there any bands that you really love that you wouldn't want to see live as of 2009, either due to you not thinking they would translate well live, or have just lost the plot?

bmack86
05-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Are there any bands that you really love that you wouldn't want to see live as of 2009, either due to you not thinking they would translate well live, or have just lost the plot?

It's not really fair to pick on the Germs I guess, seeing as how their singer died and the band's decided to play with a new one, but I really don't want to see that. I love the first two Weezer albums, but I'm pretty certain I'd never want to see them again considering how boring they were last time. As far as newer stuff, I've still never seen Six Organs of Admittance, and, while I love his albums, I'd be very worried that he'd come across as boring. And, sad to say, Neutral Milk Hotel. I don't know if he'd hold it together for a full show, even though the bootlegs I've heard of the last tour are insane.

SoulDischarge
05-22-2009, 09:16 AM
I've seen Six Organs Of Admittance 2 or 3 times and it's a good show. Maybe slightly boring at times, but really captivating at others.

AlecEiffel
05-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Richie Valenz couldn't have been stopped from being a prolific father of rock music either. It's not like he was just some shlub one-hit wonder who was playing the opening slot of a three-act club tour.

Richie Valens' career lasted less than a year before he died and he had three hit singles ("Come On, Let's Go", "Donna" and "La Bamba"). Your smart assessment is neither fair nor correct.

wmgaretjax
05-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Six Organs of Admittance works great live... but he takes chances as well, and sometimes it doesn't quite work out.

kreutz2112
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
I listened to the Horse Flies album. It's not really my thing. Too much fiddle, it was overwhelming at points. The song "Rub Alcohol Blues" was great though. I have listened to that song multiple times since hearing it.

I am currently on my fifth listen of Signal Morning. It is fucking fantastic. My favorite track so far is "The Spinning Continuous". So catchy.

Downloading the rest of the albums for the week now.

bmack86
05-22-2009, 09:35 AM
One thing I've noticed with Signal Morning that really sets it apart from anything Will Cullen Hart's done before is the limited instrumentation. His other albums are all very lushly instrumented, with lots of horns, samples, singing saws, pianos and all sorts of found sounds. For the most part this one is pared down to a traditional rock band with keys. Rather than drawing in the focus though, it's made the songs much more dense.

wmgaretjax
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
The thing about the first Circulatory System album is that the instrumentation felt excessive for the first time, unlike with OTC albums. I love the album, but it never quite came together the way that his previous work had. I love the new direction, and think it's the best E6 album of the decade.

mountmccabe
05-22-2009, 09:42 AM
I listened to the first part of the album by the Saints before being pulled away. I def heard the influence of the Stooges. I am not sure I loved the horns, though. I like horns but not so much with punk; this is one reason I don't really go for much ska. I will, at some point, finish the album and almost certainly give it more time.

I have listened to the Circulatory System once and I quite loved it. They are a wonderful band. One thing that struck me is that they seemed to be switching songs even more rapidly than the CD track switched. I need to listen more, both for general enjoyment and to figure out what the hell.

bmack86
05-22-2009, 09:45 AM
There's an hour long Grizzly Bear live set up on NPR for stream right now. They do quite a few new songs, and Dan plays his JoJo cover that he did for Ed's birthday.

bmack86
05-22-2009, 09:47 AM
The thing about the first Circulatory System album is that the instrumentation felt excessive for the first time, unlike with OTC albums. I love the album, but it never quite came together the way that his previous work had. I love the new direction, and think it's the best E6 album of the decade.

I can definitely agree with that. It's got the wildly psychedelic feel of the OTC albums, but the first Circulatory System album seemed like it wanted to be like them, but it was missing the more direct pop songs of Bill Doss, and Hart didn't seem like he knew how to reconcile that lack of immediacy with his style. I guess he decided to just switch it up.

kreutz2112
05-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I have never listened to the first Circulatory System album.

Funny story. I actually can thank Bryan for my listening to 2 great albums. Back in the day he had the Black Foliage album cover as an avatar so I listened to it and loved it. Same goes for Vision Creation Newsun. Who would have thought a 75X75 pixel image could have so much influence. Nice work, Bryan.

kreutz2112
05-22-2009, 09:50 AM
On that note.

Bryan, what are some of your favorite album covers?

bmack86
05-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Tie the OTC back to Pot. In 04, he posted a story about them getting together for a few shows thanks to ATP. Being that it was the first time I'd read him posting something that was not pure hatred, I had to check it out. I've been in love ever since.

schoolofruckus
05-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Being that it was the first time I'd read him posting something that was not pure hatred

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

bmack86
05-22-2009, 09:57 AM
On that note.

Bryan, what are some of your favorite album covers?

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dre400/e456/e45605n6e4f.jpg
http://webs.wofford.edu/whisnantcj/images/music%20pix/sonicyouth.jpg
http://www.nudeasthenews.com/images/albums/148.jpg
http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/as201JPG/AFCT-9011.jpg
http://blogs.laweekly.com/play/black-flag-six-pack.jpg

SoulDischarge
05-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Being that it was the first time I'd read him posting something that was not pure hatred, I had to check it out.

I've noticed that an unusually large number of misanthropes are dedicated Elephant 6 fans. Any insight into why this might be?

(I'm only on track 9, but this Circulatory System album is very pleasing to my ears thusfar.)

bmack86
05-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Despite the fact that they're sonically very catchy, Elephant 6 acts tend to focus on darker, individualistic sort of themes lyrically, like death, the loss of self, spiritual confusion and such. Or, maybe misanthropes need something to calm them down every once in awhile.

PotVsKtl
05-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Just doing work in the streets, making the world a better place..

PotVsKtl
05-22-2009, 10:34 AM
And in a moment of synchronicity, I just did a blog search for that Circulatory System and one of the first results was from a blog called Board Member of the Week.

PotVsKtl
05-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Oh fuck I'm a dumbass.

PotVsKtl
05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't get any bright ideas ladies, my fists are made of tectonic plates.

wmgaretjax
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
hahahaha

amyzzz
05-22-2009, 10:41 AM
What songs do you like listening to at a club for dancing, but wouldn't ever really listen to anywhere else?

Aurgasm
05-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Ok. Hypothetical. Assuming Randy didn't have his head up his own ass 22 hours out of the day, what would his top 5 albums of all time be?

Also, always good to see some Screamers love.

only 22 hours?

bmack86
05-22-2009, 01:13 PM
What songs do you like listening to at a club for dancing, but wouldn't ever really listen to anywhere else?

If I go clubbing, most of the music that makes me dance isn't something I'd listen to at home. Heavy house stuff is great to dance to, but it's not something I ever finding myself wanting to listen to while I relax and drink.