PDA

View Full Version : Board Lawyers: Question about renter's rights

real talk
05-17-2009, 12:24 AM
So I'm moving at the end of the month and the apartment manager of my building (read: not the landlord) told me today that he was going to have an open showing of my apt for a couple hours tonight.

I was cool with that, I left for the night around 4 o'clock and came back at approximately 1:00 am.

MY DOOR WAS OPEN. Not just unlocked, like seriously AJAR. I immediately flipped out and called the building manager and told him it was NOT COOL and also unprofessional and started taking stock of my things, valuables, jewelry, etc. He spoke to me like I was overreacting and said as his excuse, "well, sorry, I pulled it closed." even when I explained that the door was WIDE OPEN.

My boyfriend told me to tell him that he is no longer approved to enter my apartment until I am gone. Do I have any legal rights to override the "24 hour notice" on my lease agreement?

I'm fucking pissed. Plus my apartment smells like nasty nag champa which puts my lungs into painful blaze.

I want to hurt him.

Cpt. Funkaho
05-17-2009, 12:27 AM
what's nag champa? I'm too lazy to google.

Also, sorry about your sitch. I hate renting, and bad landlords.

real talk
05-17-2009, 12:29 AM
It's some stanky incense.

Cpt. Funkaho
05-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Ah. In retrospect that must be what my little brother used to use to cover up the mad pot-smoke odor of which his room would have otherwise reeked.

BlueDevil50
05-17-2009, 12:43 AM
i'm pretty sure as long as it's building related, he can come and go as he pleases. if he was going in just to bug you, that'd be a different story.

dorkfish
05-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Technically, your landlord can enter your apartment for pretty much any reason to show your apartment to new tenants from here on out if he gives you 24 hours advanced notice. Legally, it's unlikely that they would side with you unless you could show damages of loss from stolen property. It's theoretically possible that you could go to small claims court and fight for some kind of civil penalty, but realistically, it would be a waste of your time and efforts. Dude's a dick.

Here's some boring tenant laws if you want to read up:
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml

BROKENDOLL
05-17-2009, 12:46 AM
So I'm moving at the end of the month and the apartment manager of my building (read: not the landlord) told me today that he was going to have an open showing of my apt for a couple hours tonight.

I was cool with that, I left for the night around 4 o'clock and came back at approximately 1:00 am.

MY DOOR WAS OPEN. Not just unlocked, like seriously AJAR. I immediately flipped out and called the building manager and told him it was NOT COOL and also unprofessional and started taking stock of my things, valuables, jewelry, etc. He spoke to me like I was overreacting and said as his excuse, "well, sorry, I pulled it closed." even when I explained that the door was WIDE OPEN.

My boyfriend told me to tell him that he is no longer approved to enter my apartment until I am gone. Do I have any legal rights to override the "24 hour notice" on my lease agreement?

I'm fucking pissed. Plus my apartment smells like nasty nag champa which puts my lungs into painful blaze.

I want to hurt him.
Now, I'm no lawyer, but as a renter, you abided by your part of the lease agreement. As a building manager, yours failed at the responsibility his job required. Did he have a key in order to lock up after the showing? Was he there during the showing? Seems to me that lack of required management would entitle you to overiding any notice...Afterall, who would have been responsible if your things had been taken?

fatbastard
05-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Your can ask me for your money but I ain't had it yesterday, I ain't got it today, or I ain't gonna have it tomorrow.

fober
05-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Call me pessimistic, but lawyers on this board? Really? Speak up you juris doctors!

bartelby
05-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Legally, it's unlikely that they would side with you unless you could show damages of loss from stolen property. It's theoretically possible that you could go to small claims court and fight for some kind of civil penalty, but realistically, it would be a waste of your time and efforts.

this is correct.....

please provide your addresses so I can send my bill

jimmycrackcorn
05-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Plus my apartment smells like nasty nag champa which puts my lungs into painful blaze.

one of the first things i do whenever i move into an apartment is CHANGE THE LOCKS! i know you aren't SUPPOSED to do it and if you do then you are required to provide copies of the key to the manager but F@#$ that shit... the very first apartment i ever lived in; i was inside and all of a sudden i hear someone in the hallway so i go to look out the peephole and then i hear somebody trying to open the door! i am F@#$ING looking at the manager trying to open the door so i actually hold the lock from turning (single cylinder deadbolt) he gives up and leaves... i wake up my GF and talk about it with her and after we discuss it i go down to confront the manager he acted nonchalant and apologizes saying the the apartment next to ours was vacant and he got "mixed up" blah blah blah... what if i wasn't home? my GF would've been asleep in bed and woken up to this asshole in the apartment?! i was pissed and told him i planned on changing the locks but he said that he would need a copy of the key anyways... i asked "what for exactly?" he said in case of an emergency they need access... i said "well in that case the police, paramedics, or firefighters, could do the same thing they do when they respond to a house and kick the door in... BILL ME"
i walked away but DID change the locks to a double cylinder deadbolt within 2 days NEVER telling them or giving them a copy of the key... just keep the lock and when you move out switch it back.... That's what i do now with EVERY apartment i move into... oh yeah incense sucks, but if you are going to burn some nag champa IS the best i've ever found...

BlackSwan
05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I suggest leaving booby traps the next time he wants to show the apartment.

kreutz2112
05-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Or death. You could kill him?

BROKENDOLL
05-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Real Talk, maybe instead of leaving the next time there's a showing of your place, have the manager make a definite appointment time at your convenience so you could stay and keep an eye on things. After the example of his management skills, I'd think you'd have that right atleast.

Ardentbiscuit
05-17-2009, 11:30 AM
One thing about issues like that is that it's a very touchy subject when it comes to renters vs. landlords and renter rights.

Every city has their own set of rules and rights.

I would suggest going to your local city office and see what rights you have.

Most cities have a renter's board or some such organization to help protect the rights of tenants.

JustSteve
05-17-2009, 12:08 PM
so glad i've never had to do the apartment thing.

vogina
05-17-2009, 12:14 PM
lawyers.com>message boards

Good legal information given. Been a member since 00