PDA

View Full Version : Who do you bank with and why?

BlueDevil50
05-16-2009, 10:57 PM
my little local bank (coast hills fcu) isn't the greatest and the online banking sucks big time...i'm looking for a fairly solid new bank that treats you decent and has good-great online banking.

PlayaDelWes
05-16-2009, 11:10 PM
San Diego County Credit Union because of the great customer service and great online banking. I haven't lived in San Diego for 15 years, yet I have stuck with them for checking and lending.

Bank of America (Visa) and American Express for Credit Cards because of the points (Alaska Airlines and Starwood).

Sleepingrock
05-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Do you want my Debit card and my pin number while your at it?? =D

TD canada trust.....

BlueDevil50
05-16-2009, 11:31 PM
lol silly bastard...

i'm actually leaning towards wells fargo at the moment.

BlueDevil50
05-17-2009, 12:43 AM
any horror stories with them?

tessalasset
05-17-2009, 02:00 AM
i love wells fargo. i just have a checking and savings account with them. i use them because my mom opened accounts for us when we were in high school and i just never went anywhere else. the only thing i hate is the overdraft fee, but i bet all banks have that. i've been almost completely happy with them in the past 9 years. and i use wellsfargo.com pretty much just to check my balances and transfer money, so nothing too deep. but they're very dependable.

Courtney
05-17-2009, 02:17 AM
What banks near you have the most convenient ATMs, BlueDevil50? Let that guide your decision.

coldstart
05-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Union Bank of California is good, although, for savings and whatnot, ING or HSBC online accounts give the best interest rates.

coldstart
05-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Oh, and if you can make the minimum account balance ($1,000 I believe), eTrade accounts are awesome and they reimburse all ATM fees so you can go to ANY ATM and it doesn't cost you a penny.

SFChrissy
05-17-2009, 04:17 AM
I use wells fargo and love it the over draft charges are a bummer but these are a few things that I really like:
The tellers at my branch know me so we hane genuine convo
Direct deposit advance which is great for ERs
Free cashiers checks thru online banking
And wahoo moboile banking for checking balances while on the go
20yr customer

Good luck!!!

rskapcat
05-17-2009, 04:48 AM
My parents have always banked with Wells Fargo, so that's why I started with them. Never had any problems. Then I worked there for 2 or 3 years. So now I still have plenty of contacts.

Their online banking is great.

frazzles
05-17-2009, 08:08 AM
I have accounts with B of A, Wescom Credit Union, and USAA.

BlueDevil50
05-17-2009, 08:52 AM
thanks for the input party people...it looks like i'm pretty much going to go with wells fargo, probably open the account ahead of the college student one that has checking/savings.

Pixiessp
05-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Awww shucks.

I got up too late to talk to the Devil.

Somewhat Damaged
05-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Wells Fargo. My mom's worked there for, like, 15 years, and two of my tias retired from there, so it's sort of in my blood. Oh, and the overdraft fees only affect you if you don't manage your funds well. :p

Pixiessp
05-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I bank at the monolith.

B of A

So far no problemos.

jimmycrackcorn
05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
altura credit union... good rates, low fees, service provided to me over the last 15 years

tessalasset
05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh, and the overdraft fees only affect you if you don't manage your funds well. :p

haha dammit i know it's my fault, don't rub it in.

i just wish they wouldn't charge you for taking it out of your savings. i have plenty in my savings they can pull from but i just wish i didn't get charged for every transaction.

hawkingvsreeve
05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
I am still at Chase (formally WaMu, who I really liked) but I will probably be changing soon. I hear that they are going to start charging for direct deposit. I am not sure if that is true, but keep an ear out if you are with them.

BlueDevil50
05-17-2009, 12:06 PM
if you have overdraft protection, will they still charge you?

vogina
05-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Kinecta FCU. Why? Because they don't ever try to ram a serrated blade up your butt hole every time you fuck up with funds, checks, and so on.

JustSteve
05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
all of our business stuff is through union. i make a point to go to the one that is a little further from the house because they have many beautiful women wearing low cut blouses working there.

my personal is through wamu/chase...waiting to see if chase starts fucking with me.

i am still fed up with my wamu credit card acct., glad they went under. i was in the hospital and missed a payment by 2 days. i called and wrote and explained my situation, but they would not reinstate my 0% promo rate, even though i had been a loyal and perfect customer for over 10 years. yeah, i transferred the balance and cut up that card right quick. a big thank you to all those who ruined it for us responsible people.

Alchemy
05-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I bank with the Teachers Federal Credit Union. The online banking is great.

vogina
05-17-2009, 12:30 PM
all of our business stuff is through union. i make a point to go to the one that is a little further from the house because they have many beautiful women wearing low cut blouses working there.

my personal is through wamu/chase...waiting to see if chase starts fucking with me.

i am still fed up with my wamu credit card acct., glad they went under. i was in the hospital and missed a payment by 2 days. i called and wrote and explained my situation, but they would not reinstate my 0% promo rate, even though i had been a loyal and perfect customer for over 10 years. yeah, i transferred the balance and cut up that card right quick. a big thank you to all those who ruined it for us responsible people.

Be careful with credit card due payment due dates. I don't know what fuck tard created a scheme where they push the due dates back and or forward every month. Making you accidentally late on payments when you think it's due on one day, while they pushed it forward. Ya, they are inclined not to charge you, or go against credit score.. But that's AFTER dealing with that shit over the phone.. So be careful

Cdubby
05-17-2009, 12:35 PM
my local credit union. i banked with wells fargo, switched, and never looked back. no overdraft fees, no cashier check charges, higher interest rates on both checking acct and savings acct, better customer service, and can withdraw from any co-op atm in the nation for no charge. fuck large banks imo

JustSteve
05-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Be careful with credit card due payment due dates. I don't know what fuck tard created a scheme where they push the due dates back and or forward every month. Making you accidentally late on payments when you think it's due on one day, while they pushed it forward. Ya, they are inclined not to charge you, or go against credit score.. But that's AFTER dealing with that shit over the phone.. So be careful

i never had a late payment in my whole credit history, over 10 years worth. i was admitted to the hospital via the er on a sunday and had no computer access for a week or so. heartless motherfuckers is what they were.

vogina
05-17-2009, 12:42 PM
i never had a late payment in my whole credit history, over 10 years worth. i was admitted to the hospital via the er on a sunday and had no computer access for a week or so. heartless motherfuckers is what they were.

That sucks. Ya, I've never been late in my CC payments either. I'm very tedious when it comes to finances. But non the less, now that Wamu got eaten up by Chase.. Forewarned. I'm in the same boat with you.. Funny, right before the collapse I managed to snag a 0%APR card to transfer some loans to. It was all my fault.

I bet you they were playing Adagio for Strings by Tiesto when they collapsed.. I bet he was their too, hahahahahahahaha I don't know why that's funny..

y5xjIpsHVYQ&hl=en&fs=1 Like an parallel implosion of sorts

Karl Hyde
05-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Which one? Booyah!

fatbastard
05-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Chase because they bought Washington Mutual who actually bought Home Savings. I miss Home Savings.

TomAz
05-17-2009, 02:29 PM

I have no complaints about my dealings with chase. been there like 13 years now.

BROKENDOLL
05-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I am still at Chase (formally WaMu, who I really liked) but I will probably be changing soon. I hear that they are going to start charging for direct deposit. I am not sure if that is true, but keep an ear out if you are with them.
I'm test driving this change as well...with fingers crossed.

Man, I can relate to this! Both Chase and my Wamu CC's pulled that shit by changing due dates, etc. I filed for BK and have since learned my lesson...and how to manage finances.Now this Chase bank wants to give me the world and start credit up again...No thank you! The lesson I learned was not to use credit, period!

Probably the same fucktards that helped guide me to bankruptcy.

Heartless is how CC's make their living.

BlueDevil50
05-17-2009, 06:20 PM
tessa, chrissy, and all my other awesome wells fargonians...which account setup do you have? basic checking, college combo, management package, advantage package, or PMA package? pretty sure i'll end up with the management package, which is just a fancy name for checking and savings.

TheWatcher
05-17-2009, 06:35 PM
I currently have WaMu/Chase. I opened my account at a small, local, Savings Bank (with only 5 branch locations--Hawthorne Savings). A few years back, they got merged into Commercial Capital, which then got bought by WaMu. Things have gotten worse with each merger/acquisition. I looked for another bank to change to when WaMu bought out Commercial Capital, but at that point I found all the other smaller banks had already been gobbled up, or were about to. And, looking at the account details at the major banks, I didn't see much difference between them. Has that changed? Is Wells Fargo really better?

It's weird, I was remembering the other banks that used to exist in this area, and the only ones that are still around from about 30 years ago are Wells Fargo, Bank of America and Union Bank.

I know I really don't like Chase after what they tried to get away with regarding my credit cards there. They are really sneaky. I "opted out" of them increasing my interest rate from 8.99% to 24.99%, and closed the account. They raised the interest rate anyway, it took several calls and months of incorrect billing till they fixed it. Recently they sent out another letter saying they were changing the terms unless I opt out again. WTF?

I know this shows I am old, but I remember when a bank would call you if you had an overdraft and you'd have the chance to go in and deposit funds to cover the checks. And, bounced check charges were only $3! But, there were no "free" accounts then either, you had to pay monthly charges and pay for checks.

BROKENDOLL
05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Considering my financial status lately, I might just go with "Home Savings." No bank fees, overdraft charges, nor statements to deal with. I just haven't figured out how to produce a debit card in my likeness so I wouldn't have to carry my cash.

TomAz
05-17-2009, 06:53 PM

chase has never once charged me a dime for direct deposit. dunno why they (or any other bank) would, either. dd is cheaper for them than using up a teller's time.