PDA

View Full Version : Official Sigur Ros for 2010 Thread

Kid B
05-16-2009, 01:20 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0BDjFxQnQ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0BDjFxQnQ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Please.

fikus222
05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm down :thu

sonofhal
05-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure they enjoyed themselves very much last time. A return is probably quite low on their "to do list".

betao
05-16-2009, 02:00 PM
If they played, I would want them in a tent. Sigur Ros are too special for me for anything else.

Meaning, if I was trying to watch them on the mainstage an act or two before the headliner and people around me were talking "omg I can't wait for so-and-so after this", I would be dangerously tempted to light them on fire.

I love Sigur Ros in a special way - they can hit emotions in me that other groups cant. I would do ungodly things to see them live. But because of the possibility of that scenario above, I almost don't want them at coachella. Because they are a band that I have to see in complete silence, so I can experience what I want from it.

Kid B
05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
A late night slot in the Mojave would be very nice. I agree with you that they could hit emotions no other groups can. I saw them for the first time ever last year and they were unbelievable.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 02:20 PM
no, a closing spot on the outdoor....at least 2 hours....they can play the mainstage as long as they get at least 90 mins.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure they enjoyed themselves very much last time. A return is probably quite low on their "to do list".

but you forget their very 1st NA show was at Coachella 2001...so they have a debt to the festival for bringing them to these shores...

Kid B
05-16-2009, 02:24 PM
no, a closing spot on the outdoor....at least 2 hours....they can play the mainstage as long as they get at least 90 mins.

Closing the outdoor would work too but the thing about the outdoor is with Sigur Ros on stage the sound bleed would be horrible, especially if someone like M.I.A is on the main stage it would totally destroy the atmosphere.

leo01g
05-16-2009, 02:25 PM
z8jmLec_wEc
One of my all time fav. and such a beautiful song

Still-ill
05-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Closing the outdoor would work too but the thing about the outdoor is with Sigur Ros on stage the sound bleed would be horrible, especially if someone like M.I.A is on the main stage it would totally destroy the atmosphere.

They'd be perfect in the slot MBV took this year.

DRcube
05-16-2009, 02:40 PM
i support this thread:thu

yes! they should have mbv's spot from last year......and the cure's spot should go to radiohead:)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 07:01 PM

Yeah you have a point there....I am almost against Sigur Ros playing unless they have silence....it worked in the Mojave in 2001..but the Mainstage wasn't so good because of the short time they were given....ok...90 mins Sub before the headliner...done deal....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 07:01 PM

yes! they should have mbv's spot from last year......and the cure's spot should go to radiohead:)

like this

Drewski27
05-16-2009, 07:30 PM
i dont care what day they play. just as long as its right after sunset and im on some mushies.

betao
05-16-2009, 08:26 PM

No. I'd rather not watch Sigur Ros with a bunch of people just waiting for the next act.

They either close out a stage/tent, or play in a tent against the headliner. No other options here.

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM

What Coachella are you talking about?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 08:48 PM
What Coachella are you talking about?

If Sigur Ros ever plays Coachella...they need a full set...not that 50 mins they got in 06. It really hurt them....which is why I am almost against them playing at all...but I think the Mojave would fit...but the tent would overfill pretty quickly...these guys have played the hb bowl....

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 08:51 PM
I meant the Coachella that gives non-headliners two hours or sub-headliners 90 minutes. I get it, it's MarcoChella

TommyboyUNM
05-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Leo, I fucking love that video. Untitled 8 is probably the most chilling song I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in concert. I would obviously fully support this, but I agree with Betao. I would probably get pissed if people were talking throughout the set. At Red Rocks last year it was almost completely silent. That show was amazing.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-17-2009, 09:02 AM
I meant the Coachella that gives non-headliners two hours or sub-headliners 90 minutes. I get it, it's MarcoChella

*sigh* Marcochella would be a Coachella too awesome to ever happened...:(

cubrocker
05-17-2009, 02:55 PM
theyll be outdoor theatre for sure.

seandigi
10-06-2009, 08:01 PM
How do you talk through Sigur Ros? I am dyinig to see them, had one opportunity and couldn't make it. Sigur Ros in 2010 would be amazing.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
How do you talk through Sigur Ros? I am dyinig to see them, had one opportunity and couldn't make it. Sigur Ros in 2010 would be amazing.

Quite possible...

obzen
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Yes please.

higgybaby23
10-08-2009, 12:34 PM

You mean like this year when Morissey starting bellowing on the Main during Leonard Cohen's performance at the Outdoor? Sound bleed from Main to Outdoor seems to be unavoidable, just hope it doesn't occur during your favorite act.

obzen
10-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Good point-lot's of reverb.

seandigi
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I would be one happy camper if they played 2010...

Daft Fro
10-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Victory
Rose
plz.

vinylmartyr
10-09-2009, 05:02 PM
This band is a good candidate to take a 5 year break.

Boourns
10-10-2009, 03:21 PM
z8jmLec_wEc
One of my all time fav. and such a beautiful song

Probably the best song ever.

Kid B
10-11-2009, 05:53 PM
This band is a good candidate to take a 5 year break.

Arn't they recording a new album right now?

psycobetabuckdown
10-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I believe they are.

Sigur Ros and Air would be pretty good for my ideal Coachella. Throw in Puscifer too. I can't wait till January/February.

paulthomasanderson
12-23-2009, 10:39 PM
:bump

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiOdZlCOWYU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiOdZlCOWYU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

A nice Outdoor set for Jónsi in the late afternoon would do just fine.

pachucasunrise
12-23-2009, 11:53 PM
:bump

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiOdZlCOWYU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiOdZlCOWYU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

A nice Outdoor set for Jónsi in the late afternoon would do just fine.

Woah, English. Yeah, 7:00 or so on the Outdoor would be great.

fiopadp7791
12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I was just gonna say... isn't Jonsi doing solo work right now? It would be cool to see him or the whole group.

In 2006 it was really cool to see them, because Kanye played the set before them. Once Kanye was done, half the crowd cleared out so I was able to move up really close. They played the sunset time slot on the main stage. Very good set.

They're known for their transitions and big epic encores, and this song is no different. Fast forward to about 4:20 to see what I mean-
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oiGxE7ViXIY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oiGxE7ViXIY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

discobotica
12-25-2009, 08:42 PM
If Sigur Ros ever plays Coachella...they need a full set...not that 50 mins they got in 06. It really hurt them....which is why I am almost against them playing at all...but I think the Mojave would fit...but the tent would overfill pretty quickly...these guys have played the hb bowl....

There's no way that they could play the outdoor theater or the Mojave cuz they have full orchestra and choir accompaniment......I love these guys, but after seeing their 06 Coachella set after seeing them at the Bowl, I'm convinced they need acoustics to give the audience the show they want to deliver.......they wouldn't get a headliner spot on the main stage, and even if they did, they wouldn't get the respect they deserve from a rowdy-ish Coachella crowd........Sigur Ros + Coachella is a good thought, but silence is golden when seeing them.......I'd be overjoyed if they played the Bowl, the Greek, Walt Disney Concert Hall even..........

suprefan
12-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Its Jonsi or bust this year.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-25-2009, 09:02 PM
so strong chance for Jonsi then?

suprefan
12-25-2009, 09:04 PM
If he decides to come this way and play shows, yeah. Sigur Ros isnt doing anything til the latter half..

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-25-2009, 09:06 PM
There's no way that they could play the outdoor theater or the Mojave cuz they have full orchestra and choir accompaniment......I love these guys, but after seeing their 06 Coachella set after seeing them at the Bowl, I'm convinced they need acoustics to give the audience the show they want to deliver.......they wouldn't get a headliner spot on the main stage, and even if they did, they wouldn't get the respect they deserve from a rowdy-ish Coachella crowd........Sigur Ros + Coachella is a good thought, but silence is golden when seeing them.......I'd be overjoyed if they played the Bowl, the Greek, Walt Disney Concert Hall even..........

bullshit. Their North American Show ever was Coachella 2001. They are the reason I came back to Coachella the next year. It can be done.

discobotica
12-25-2009, 09:24 PM
bullshit. Their North American Show ever was Coachella 2001. They are the reason I came back to Coachella the next year. It can be done.

I wasn't there in '01, but I'm guessing they weren't on the main stage as they were in '06.....I wanna believe too, I hope they prove me wrong in fact, but their '06 performance left me feeling bad/sad for them, and I don't want that to happen again........did anyone else think Jonsi's guitar had some sound issues at the beginning of their set and he seemed kind of irked the other 45 minutes they played?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-25-2009, 09:27 PM
I wasn't there in '01, but I'm guessing they weren't on the main stage as they were in '06.....I wanna believe too, I hope they prove me wrong in fact, but their '06 performance left me feeling bad/sad for them, and I don't want that to happen again........did anyone else think Jonsi's guitar had some sound issues at the beginning of their set and he seemed kind of irked the other 45 minutes they played?

No, in 2001 they played the Mojave and it was brilliant. I don't recall any sound bleed what so ever. 2006 just had sound issues from the beginning. Jonsi and the rest of the band looked really frustrated and I don't think they had enough time to set up between the time they were given and when Kanye left the stage.

betao
12-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Sigur Ros is one band I almost don't want to play Coachella because of their need for complete silence to perform. I'd be too tempted to punch people talking next to me.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Sigur Ros is one band I almost don't want to play Coachella because of their need for complete silence to perform. I'd be too tempted to punch people talking next to me.

after 2006 I am with you on this but it can be done. Coachella 2001 was beyond amazing. Especially since I hadn't even heard their music before then. It was a complete surprise.

betao
12-25-2009, 09:44 PM
after 2006 I am with you on this but it can be done. Coachella 2001 was beyond amazing. Especially since I hadn't even heard their music before then. It was a complete surprise.

It can be done but it probably wont. I'd only accept Sigur Ros at coachella if they were in a tent, and they're probably too big to play that now.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-25-2009, 09:48 PM
or a headliner.

discobotica
12-25-2009, 09:49 PM
It can be done but it probably wont. I'd only accept Sigur Ros at coachella if they were in a tent, and they're probably too big to play that now.

Agreed fully.....they need to play the Bowl again! That night was sooooo special for me and everyone in attendance......after the show, a man behind me turned to his sub 10 year old son, and said, "Now are you proud to be Icelandic?" with a most genuine nationalistic tone, it summed up the show for me pretty well.........

unit300021
12-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Agreed fully.....they need to play the Bowl again! That night was sooooo special for me and everyone in attendance......after the show, a man behind me turned to his sub 10 year old son, and said, "Now are you proud to be Icelandic?" with a most genuine nationalistic tone, it summed up the show for me pretty well.........

that bowl concert is one of the top concerts ive been to and defenitaly the most emotional roller coaster ride concert ive ever been to.

but yeah i agree with the notion that sigur ros shouldnt be at coachella. as much as i love them and if they were there they would beat out any conflict but silence is really needed for them, otherwise it probably wouldnt be the same.

paulthomasanderson
12-26-2009, 01:42 PM
That 2006 set left me feeling a little afterwards, so yes, there's no way they should ever play again unless it were in the Mojave or perhaps closing the Outdoor. As for this year, I'd have to say Jónsi playing the Mojave mid-afternoon would be a perfect set to unwind to and 'get your happy on' to.

humanoid
12-26-2009, 02:35 PM

the 2001 and 2006 performances were worlds apart. I don't necessarily blame it on the band's performance, more on technical difficulties in '06. 2001 was completely brilliant though.

humanoid
12-26-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know, I would much rather see them at the Wiltern or Wilshere again, rather than the Hollywood Bowl.

Sonicifyouwantit
12-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't know, I would much rather see them at the Wiltern or Wilshere again, rather than the Hollywood Bowl.

I saw them at the Hollywood bowl and it was the best set I've seen by them. They had surround sound set up so that some songs would start from behind you. The sound would move past and then come from the stage. Great set. I hate the Wiltern though, nice theatre just not that great for performances. The audience never gets into the music like they do at the fonda.

Sonicifyouwantit
12-26-2009, 04:33 PM
That 2006 set left me feeling a little afterwards, so yes, there's no way they should ever play again unless it were in the Mojave or perhaps closing the Outdoor. As for this year, I'd have to say Jónsi playing the Mojave mid-afternoon would be a perfect set to unwind to and 'get your happy on' to.

Mojave is too small a tent for sigur...plus you need to be outdoors for them not cooped up in a tent. Sun set for Sigur any day. Granted their set was rough last time on the main stage NONE of that was their fault.

paulthomasanderson
12-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Mojave is too small a tent for sigur...plus you need to be outdoors for them not cooped up in a tent. Sun set for Sigur any day. Granted their set was rough last time on the main stage NONE of that was their fault.

They're too big at this point, so that's true. But in regards to Jónsi playing the Mojave, that should happen. If it's at the Outdoor, I fear the crowd would just....well ruin it. It would remind me of the Decemberists set back in 2007, where half the crowd was loving the set while the other half, especially in the middle, were just dead either standing or lying down taking up room.

Sonicifyouwantit
12-27-2009, 10:39 AM
...in regards to Jónsi playing the Mojave, that should happen.

Agreed

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-27-2009, 10:57 AM
the 2001 and 2006 performances were worlds apart. I don't necessarily blame it on the band's performance, more on technical difficulties in '06. 2001 was completely brilliant though.

this.

Sonicifyouwantit
12-27-2009, 11:00 AM

this.

That, and Kanye. No joke

paulthomasanderson
12-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Hands down one of the worst transitions on the Main Stage I had experienced, especially considering how some pricks who came for Kanye just stuck around during Sigur Ros.

fiopadp7791
12-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Hands down one of the worst transitions on the Main Stage I had experienced, especially considering how some pricks who came for Kanye just stuck around during Sigur Ros.

Most people didn't stick around after Kanye though... They cleared out which meant I got to move up really close. But towards the end of their set it really started filling again due to Franz Ferdinand being up next.

im so indie
12-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Jonsi in the Mohave would be a gem of a show.

PJandBompton
12-28-2009, 12:58 AM

pricks who came for Kanye...way to generalize! the same could be said for Sigur Ros fans who killed the vibe during Kanyes' show...

fiopadp7791
12-28-2009, 08:35 AM
pricks who came for Kanye...way to generalize! the same could be said for Sigur Ros fans who killed the vibe during Kanyes' show...

Kanye's vibe didn't get killed by Sigur Ros fans... Those people were a pretty big minority in a Common/Kanye back-to-back crowd that day, judging by how many people cleared out after Kanye's set was over.

What killed Kanye's set was he was about as late as Madonna that year (about 45 minutes late). And subsequently made Sigur Ros late behind him.

shakermaker113
12-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I think he was being sarcastic.

fiopadp7791
12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
I have been known to be gullible... Someone told me it's written on the ceiling but I still can't find it damnit!

Boourns
12-28-2009, 04:37 PM
In all fairness, there were zero minutes of downtime scheduled in the set times between Kanye and Common.

http://www.coachellarecordings.com/pictures/2006/200610.jpg

Cookieman908
12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Seeing these old schedules is yet another reminder of the greatness of Coachella. Can it get any better than seeing these 6 acts back to back?

Animal Collective
My Morning Jacket
Sigur Ros
Franz Ferdinand
Depeche Mode
Daft Punk

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-29-2009, 02:27 AM
In all fairness, there were zero minutes of downtime scheduled in the set times between Kanye and Common.

http://www.coachellarecordings.com/pictures/2006/200610.jpg

did daft punk really only take a half an hour to set up?

betao
12-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Pretty sure the pyramid was set up the day before.

CellarOwl
12-29-2009, 08:53 AM
People are always balls deep about checking a Sigur Ros show, so it's perplexing to see how completely fucking BORED to tears people are when they're on stage. I mean, not really given how comatizing the music is, but you'd think people would at least go in with that understanding.

TommyboyUNM
12-29-2009, 08:57 AM
People are always balls deep about checking a Sigur Ros show, so it's perplexing to see how completely fucking BORED to tears people are when they're on stage. I mean, not really given how comatizing the music is, but you'd think people would at least go in with that understanding.

How do you know they're bored to tears? Because they aren't dancing? Explain yourself.

CellarOwl
12-29-2009, 10:02 AM
When they played in Toronto, my friend claims to have had to stop counting how many people fell asleep or left at some point while the show was still taking place. It didn't go out with a bang but a zzzzzz...

paulthomasanderson
12-29-2009, 02:07 PM
When they played in Toronto, my friend claims to have had to stop counting how many people fell asleep or left at some point while the show was still taking place. It didn't go out with a bang but a zzzzzz...

People like that.......