PDA

View Full Version : Who should headline next year?!

coachellaforever09
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
David Bowie would be one of my picks. Who would you guys want to headline?

aaand it would be nice if Daft Punk would decide to come to the U.S. for the first time in like 50 years! haha.

frazzles
05-15-2009, 02:09 PM
in b4 wrong forum

coachellaforever09
05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
whoooops forgive the newbie haha

El.C.Dub
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
I can count on one hand the number of worthy headliners who have yet to play Coachella. I can also count on one hand the number of artists who have headlined in the past that I think should return next year.

canexplain
05-15-2009, 02:14 PM
dani and supre ........ cr****

Cdubby
05-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Daft Punk first time in 50 years? alias check

CitizenJ
05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
3 nights of MC Hammer

mvanwinkle
05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
The Arcade Fire
The White Stripes
The David Bowie

Egull
05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
The Arcade Fire
The White Stripes
The David Bowie

Looks just about perfect.

everpresentpast
05-15-2009, 06:02 PM
MACCA AGAIN

chucky canuck
05-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Just say no to classic rock

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
05-15-2009, 08:18 PM
i should

Boourns
05-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Jack Johnson

cormaic
05-15-2009, 09:06 PM
David Byrne

ClassicCultRecords
05-15-2009, 09:07 PM
aphex twin live main stage
parliament
panic at the disco
system of a down
the zutons
wu tang clan
eminem dr. dre up in smoke tour snoop dogg ice cube
plump dj's
devin the dude

airguitarvet
05-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Uffie on the main stage- by then she should have conquered the world!

Principal Onyx Blackman
05-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Devastating Dave:The Turntable Slave.

SDsoldier7
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Stone Temple Pilots
Goldfrapp
OUtkast

MissingPerson
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
He of the Zip Zap Rap?

El.C.Dub
05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
following the pattern of the last two years, the who or the rolling stones.

El.C.Dub
05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
or, god willing, LED FUCKING ZEPPELIN

SoulDischarge
05-15-2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.taxim.com/images/tx1066.jpg

Sleepingrock
05-15-2009, 10:17 PM
http://wwnivny.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/neutral_milk_hotel.jpg
http://images.google.com/images?q=neutral%20milk%20hotel&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ATSA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi
http://www.dvafoto.com/wp-content/mangum_b.jpg

boarderwoozel3
05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, wonderful, now who is that?

All these strike me as very real possibilities:

Faith No More
Muse
Pearl Jam
Neil Young
U2
Blur
The Beastie Boys
The Arcade Fire
The White Stripes

Subheads:
Interpol
Modest Mouse
David Byrne
PJ Harvey

Sahara Headliner :dumbo
See sig :D

roadrunner
05-16-2009, 01:34 AM
the Tom Tom Club

steve7268
05-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Just get great acts in the Sahara and they can book whoever the heck the want to for the main stage.

SDsoldier7
05-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Led Zepplin for sure

Still-ill
05-16-2009, 09:51 AM
http://wwnivny.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/neutral_milk_hotel.jpg
http://images.google.com/images?q=neutral%20milk%20hotel&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ATSA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi
http://www.dvafoto.com/wp-content/mangum_b.jpg

Thats asking a hell of alot. I don't think they would headline anyways.

EDIT: Although, all of a sudden Jeff Mangum is popping up all over the place. After a decade of silence we may see him by himself, I doubt he would put Neutral Milk Hotel back together though.

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Arcade Fire cannot headline.

My feelings on the band aside, they just cannot bring in that many people. Coachella is first and foremost a business and the headliner has to bring in the thousands and thousands and thousands. I know you guys WANT IT, but please I beg of you all just think about it for a second.

I know I know, they were the subheadliner last time, that doesnt automatically mean theyre going to headline next time. Franz and YYYs are prime examples this year, they certainly didnt headline this year, did they? Lets bring in MissingPerson on this and give her 2 cents

Hell, even I have my doubts about TWS headlining!

boarderwoozel3
05-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Just get great acts in the Sahara and they can book whoever the heck the want to for the main stage.

This.

MassiveChemicalPunk
05-16-2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.elrincondelrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/lez-zeppelin1.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Arcade Fire cannot headline.

My feelings on the band aside, they just cannot bring in that many people. Coachella is first and foremost a business and the headliner has to bring in the thousands and thousands and thousands. I know you guys WANT IT, but please I beg of you all just think about it for a second.

I know I know, they were the subheadliner last time, that doesnt automatically mean theyre going to headline next time. Franz and YYYs are prime examples this year, they certainly didnt headline this year, did they? Lets bring in MissingPerson on this and give her 2 cents

Hell, even I have my doubts about TWS headlining!

Here is where I think you're wrong. Back in 2007 when Arcade Fire were sub, they drew the largest crowd that day bar none. By all accounts Arcade Fire were the unofficial headliner for Sat 07. After Arcade Fire, the crowd melted and when RHCP came on they had half the crowd Arcade Fire had. And remember that day sold out.

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Thats not solid information to me, though

Kid B
05-16-2009, 11:17 AM
You also have to think about how much bigger they'll be after their new album is released especially if it's as good as their last two. I'm sure when Sam's Town was released, nobody pictured The Killers headlining any time soon. They headlined the Hollywood Bowl and they had a bigger crowd then RHCP in 2007.

boarderwoozel3
05-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Here is where I think you're wrong. Back in 2007 when Arcade Fire were sub, they drew the largest crowd that day bar none. By all accounts Arcade Fire were the unofficial headliner for Sat 07. After Arcade Fire, the crowd melted and when RHCP came on they had half the crowd Arcade Fire had. And remember that day sold out.

Thats not solid information to me, though

What more information could you ask for? Crowd interest--size--at a live event with other options is the most tangible evidence you can ask for. That means they're a really big deal, and after two albums no less. With a third album in the works and their already massive following, headlining is the natural next step. What's more is their music is headline quality.

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I just have so much trouble seeing them as a Coachella headliner, bringing in that many people. Time will tell

And I meant its not exactly set in stone that their crowd was bigger than the chili peppers. I'll have to see some pictures or something

stinkbutt
05-16-2009, 11:28 AM
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/rocart/files/2009/04/tom_waits_c_anton_corbijn1.jpg

and for all you that say subheadliner go eat a bowl of dicks

my three hopes for next year besides Bowie are: Faith No More, Tom Waits, and Outkast

Chrisofdoom
05-16-2009, 11:36 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins+Sonic Youth + Radiohead = greatest three nights ever

boarderwoozel3
05-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Pretty sure Sonic Youth wouldn't headline but by all means, bring'em.

chucky canuck
05-16-2009, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=SDsoldier7;1224995]Led Zepplin for sure[/QUOTE
yeah, man. and The Doors and The Beach Boys too. Go, Grandad!

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 11:49 AM
following the pattern of the last two years, the who or the rolling stones.

I would be ecstatic for either one. The Rolling Stones would be a fucking BLAST and I love The Who

rage patton
05-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Both The Arcade Fire and The White Stripes are headlining level bands, Salah. No doubt about either, especially The White Stripes.

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/rocart/files/2009/04/tom_waits_c_anton_corbijn1.jpg

and for all you that say subheadliner go eat a bowl of dicks

my three hopes for next year besides Bowie are: Faith No More, Tom Waits, and Outkast

I don't think either Tom Waits nor Faith No More would be headliners, main subs for sure though. With that being said, if they were headliners, I would have no issue with either. In fact, I would call that the best Coachella yet.

Chrisofdoom
05-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Pretty sure Sonic Youth wouldn't headline but by all means, bring'em.

yea i can see your point..
im sure they would be billed pretty high though.
all i ask for haha

i can actually see the gorillaz next year aswell seeing as there releasing a new album around the end of the year or early next year...
Im not sure how to feel about that...
i like them enough to want to see them but from what i've seen (based on youtube videos) there live stuff is crap..
and i dont want any holograms...

Kid B
05-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Sonic Youth was billed on the third line in 2007. Pretty sure they closed the outdoor.

tomphan1
05-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Duran Duran
U2
Eminem

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Ideally, how many people do we need/ want a headliner to have at a stage? I'm told Rage got about 40 thousand?

rage patton
05-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Rage had an estimated 55,000.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I just have so much trouble seeing them as a Coachella headliner, bringing in that many people. Time will tell

And I meant its not exactly set in stone that their crowd was bigger than the chili peppers. I'll have to see some pictures or something

Jesus Salah...just ask anyone who was there....or read articles from the Desert Sun...the crowd reached to the entrance...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Ideally, how many people do we need/ want a headliner to have at a stage? I'm told Rage got about 40 thousand?

depends on who is playing the other stages...

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Alright, so what about Macca or poor old JJ?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 01:38 PM
JJ should have no more the 30 to 35 K...and Macca should have had 55k.

Kid B
05-16-2009, 01:38 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eW6LAVi2PGY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eW6LAVi2PGY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 01:40 PM
next time Arcade Fire plays Coachella they will headline....end of story...

sonofhal
05-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Fri - Radiohead performing Pablo Honey, The Bends and OK Computer.
Sat - Radiohead performing Kid A and Amnesiac.
Sun - Radiohead performing Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 01:42 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
and the crowd goes wild!!!!

Kid B
05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
They'd be dead by Friday night.

Still-ill
05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Good point Kid B, But..

That show had LCD Soundsystem also on the bill, which made it one of the "cant miss" show of the year.

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Hollywood Bowl is 17,000, right?

Hmm. Over here, they can bring about 45k to a festival stage, and they can play their own shows to about 13,000 a night for a few nights in a row. I know they brought 25,000 to Randall's Island, but I know a good lump of that crowd came from the UK and France to be there. Whether that bodes well or ill, I can't say.

I'm still not weighing in either way, and 25k is a long way off 55k, I just figure we might as well have some numbers to play with. I really don't care if they headline or not, I'd just like them there. And I'd like them to be on Sunday and I'd like them to play Rebellion, please. That would be lovely, thanks.

6V41qkhU-98

rage patton
05-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Alright, so what about Macca or poor old JJ?

Like Marco said, I read JJ had around 30-35K. Funny enough, I also read that Gogol Bordello had an estimated just under 30K at the mainstage for them in 08. Macca probably had around 50-55K.

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll bet the Venn diagram of the JJ 30k and the Gogol 30k never, ever intersects.

algunz
05-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Jamiroquai
David Byrne
Bowie

chucky canuck
05-16-2009, 02:59 PM

!!!!! I'm booking tix now!

Cdubby
05-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Fri-Legendary
Sat-Epic
Sun-Awesome

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
next time Arcade Fire plays Coachella they will headline....end of story...

We'll see.

Hollywood Bowl is 17,000, right?

Hmm. Over here, they can bring about 45k to a festival stage, and they can play their own shows to about 13,000 a night for a few nights in a row. I know they brought 25,000 to Randall's Island, but I know a good lump of that crowd came from the UK and France to be there. Whether that bodes well or ill, I can't say.

I'm still not weighing in either way, and 25k is a long way off 55k, I just figure we might as well have some numbers to play with. I really don't care if they headline or not, I'd just like them there. And I'd like them to be on Sunday and I'd like them to play Rebellion, please. That would be lovely, thanks.

6V41qkhU-98

Thank you! This is the type of discussion I wanted, instead of the "They WILL headline cuz theyre so fucking awesome. end of story" bullshit ive been getting. I can always count on you for solid numbers, MP :pulse:pulse:pulse

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I think it's important to bear in mind that quite aside from the question whether they could headline is the question of whether they would play if they weren't. Which is, I think, what's been raised.

The consensus is that their next festival tour is going to be notably less hectic than their last one. They find festival touring extremely heavy going, and all signs point to them scaling back on it as much as they can afford to next time around. I think they're going to be a lot pickier in future about which fests they do and don't play, and I think it'll take a bit more than playing subheadliner to Razorlight to warrant a visit from our Northern chums from here on out.

All I'm saying is, they are not by any means a lock for any festivals anywhere, Coachella included. Something to bear in mind.

clumsy342
05-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Day - sub, head

Friday - Gorillaz, The Arcade Fire

Saturday - The Strokes, Pearl Jam

Sunday - Tom Waits, David Bowie

... I'd go.

frazzles
05-16-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm not getting into this whole fucking debate about whether Arcade Fire could headline or not based on numbers.

If Jack Johnson and the Killers can headline, I for goddamn sure know the Arcade Fire can.

greghead
05-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, in the past five years there's always been one shwag headliner (Coldplay: 05, Depressed Mode: 06, RHCP: 07, JJ: 08, Killers: 09) so we're really looking at two solid headliners, with one shitbox band. Well not shitbox, but definitely not on the same level as the other headliners. So let's hope the shwag band is not too terrible.

Though they're not my favorite band, I think Arcade Fire will fill one of the slots next year.

I'd be pleased with Bowie, Gorillaz (or Blur), Tom Waits, Faith No More, R.E.M., or Neil Young. Though I would really like to see a hip hop artist headline next year. We had goth-esque stuff, then classic rock; it's time to show some love to hip hop.

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 04:57 PM
My personal creepy fangirl'ing over them aside, I just think they have exactly the right kind of expansive, crowd-dependent music for a festival event. Regardless of the discs they shift or the numbers they draw, I don't think you can do much better in terms of a contemporary mainstage festival "experience" kind of band, and I think their reputation as such lets them maybe punch above their weight in terms of where they sit on a poster.

greghead
05-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Exactly. They have great energy and wide variety of sounds to choose from. Not to mention the fact that they're serious crowd-pleasers.

I loved them in 05, but was disappointed in 07. I'm hoping they will headline and kill it, if only to prove that I was wrong for doubting them

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I have yet to see them live so im not on the whole bandwagon that everyone else is on.

Greg what hip hop artist can headline? Jigga? Outkast? Who else?

I'm not getting into this whole fucking debate about whether Arcade Fire could headline or not based on numbers.

If Jack Johnson and the Killers can headline, I for goddamn sure know the Arcade Fire can.

But it IS about numbers. This is a fucking business. Jack Johnson has sold millions and millions and MILLIONS of albums. The Killers sell out arenas every night. Doesnt matter if youre not a fan, you cannot ignore this

jaguarpaw
05-16-2009, 05:04 PM
aphex twin live main stage
parliament
panic at the disco
system of a down
the zutons
wu tang clan
eminem dr. dre up in smoke tour snoop dogg ice cube
plump dj's
devin the dude

wtf is this

greghead
05-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I have yet to see them live so im not on the whole bandwagon that everyone else is on.

Greg what hip hop artist can headline? Jigga? Outkast? Who else?

But it IS about numbers. This is a fucking business. Jack Johnson has sold millions and millions and MILLIONS of albums. The Killers sell out arenas every night. Doesnt matter if youre not a fan, you cannot ignore this

You're right, the number of hip-hop acts that can headline is a bit slim, but I bet Wu-Tang, Jigga w/ the Roots, Outkast, Beasties, Black Star, Nas, or a reunited Run DMC (sans Jay, of course RIP) would tear the place to pieces

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Oh I didnt mean it in a sarcastic way, I was just curious.

For the record I would LOVE to see Jay-Z and NEED to see Outkast. They would kill at either Coachella or Bonnaroo. Jay-Z at Bonnaroo has a nice ring to it though :)

greghead
05-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh I didnt mean it in a sarcastic way, I was just curious.

For the record I would LOVE to see Jay-Z and NEED to see Outkast. They would kill at either Coachella or Bonnaroo. Jay-Z at Bonnaroo has a nice ring to it though :)

Come now, hermano, I know you weren't being sarcastic :)

A Tribe Called Quest would be pretty amazing as well.

jaguarpaw
05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
or, god willing, LED FUCKING ZEPPELIN

I'm not sure what god would will that, but that would be tremendous.
Pearl Jam
David Byrne
Bowie
some mufuckin Outkast (PLEASE)
The Stones
Radiohead

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 05:32 PM

I disputed this before, and I don't think I did it all that well, so I'd like to take another swing at it.

For a purely commercial festival - I'm thinking of Oxegen or the Virgin ones - the only thing those festivals give a shit about who's selling the most ringtones or in the most beer ads. Coachella is marketed as a "music and arts" festival, and it has a way more complex brand to uphold. That's why people have such ridiculous expectations for it every year, because it's known as a festival that can deliver something special.

Chart numbers are a consideration, and a fucking important one, but it's not the only one for Coachella. If it were just about the numbers, you'd have had Miley Cyrus on one of the stages this year. Coachella has a reputation - a brand and an image - that it has to serve too, for it's own long-term survival, and that's not just about getting big single-shifting bands, that's about getting good big single-shifting bands.

greghead
05-16-2009, 05:33 PM
well put, MP, this is very much the case with the Coachella, and exactly what separates it from Oxegen and similar fests.

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Your points are excellent, i'll give you that. But as the MAIN BAND that day? The name at the top of the poster or whatever day they play? The name that will bring in all those people?

Coachella does have a reputation to uphold but I still dont see them as that big a draw yet. Im not saying they never will be! But as far as album 3 is concerned I still think they're the name right before the headliner. Coldplay and The killers headlined with only 3 albums but look at how fast they shot to fame.

Who knows? Im probably wrong like always but this is what my gut instinct is telling me. The headliner has to be a name everyone can recognize and as popular as AF are, I imagine a shit ton of people reading that theoretical coachella 2010 poster and going "Who the fuck is that??"

Coachella isnt just indie kids and scenesters! Its normal people too! People who want to go see Depeche Mode or Paul McCartney or Jack Johnson, or yes even The Killers.

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm still not saying they are or aren't capable of headlining. Just saying that the hard numbers might not be an entirely useful barometer, is all.

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm fucking in love with you, MP. I would listen to Funeral and Neon Bible on a loop if I got to hang out with you.

GLASTO 2010 (hopefully, but I should start looking at "wellies")

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-16-2009, 05:54 PM

Goldenvoice didn't book them because of their record sales....they booked them because they have a relationship that goes back a long way....they just happen to be popular as well....as MP said...if it is all about sales then Miley Cyrus would be a Lawq....

and for the record...The Killers sell mid size venues not Arenas...for example...here in Denver they are playing Red Rocks (9500 people) not The Pepsi Center which is 22k.

Drewski27
05-16-2009, 06:28 PM
going back to Neil Young, i personally can see him as a headliner, but i can also see him subheadlining too. i would also love to see tom waits. id kill to see him at coachella, but i have the same issue with him. weather or not he fits headliner status. either way, i would love to see either one of them headlining.

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
here in Denver they are playing Red Rocks (9500 people) not The Pepsi Center which is 22k.

Which, tidily enough, puts them in the literally the same venues as Arcade Fire. But no, I don't know. Over here, I know AF could headline anything we've got to offer, easily, but then again, over here, they had a number one album...

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 07:04 PM
They don't even have a hit song over here

greghead
05-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Please don't use Top 40 radio as support for your argument. We all know that Coachella cares not for radio hits.

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 07:10 PM
They don't even have a hit song over here

Neon Bible was #2 on the Billboard chart when it was released, second to Notorious BIG. I think I remember Sarah Neufeld saying it was oddly appropriate for them to be beaten by a dead guy.

SoulDischarge
05-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Arcade Fire aren't only popular among scenesters and indie kids. They've played with Bruce Springsteen, I've had college professors who were fans who weren't the hippest cats around, and I've heard "Keep The Car Running" playing at a gas station before.

MissingPerson
05-16-2009, 07:17 PM
My dad and I had a nice Bruce Springsteen/ Arcade Fire cultural exchange thing when that happened. It was cool.

DRcube
05-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Arcade fire for sure are gonna cut back on the festivals, because not many festivals are gonna want to be sharing the same headliner/main sub

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Please don't use Top 40 radio as support for your argument. We all know that Coachella cares not for radio hits.

When we're talking about HEADLINERS they do

Arcade Fire aren't only popular among scenesters and indie kids. They've played with Bruce Springsteen, I've had college professors who were fans who weren't the hippest cats around, and I've heard "Keep The Car Running" playing at a gas station before.

They've played with Bowie too. Whats your point? Famous friends/fans doesnt equal nationwide popularity among the average joes

SoulDischarge
05-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Whatever. I don't give a fuck whether or not Arcade Fire or anyone else for that matter is a headliner.

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 07:40 PM
SAHARA

greghead
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
When we're talking about HEADLINERS they do

My point is that judging headliners by "hit" songs on Top 40 is rather short-sighted. By this logic, then Miley, the Jonas Brothers, Pink, and Green Day should be headliners, since they all have numerous hit songs and consistently sell out large venues.

I get what you're saying, but I think a hit album outweighs the lack of a hit US single. Don't forget that Arcade Fire did have hit singles outside the US, and Coachella clearly draws a large international crowd. I'm not sure if they should headline, but I don't think the suggestion is obscene or over-zealous

sbessiso
05-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Fine Greg. You got me.

Only you have that power over me :cat

frazzles
05-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Not to forget they have the Bowie seal of approval/collaboration on their sides as well. People would shit themselves if Bowie came out with them again, especially at Coachella.

Plus the Arcade Fire's 2 albums have been BOTH nominated for Grammys compared to the Killers' 1/3.

I'm not an AF fanboy or anything, but seriously...

greghead
05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Fine Greg. You got me.

Only you have that power over me :cat

Oh Salah, you rogue, don't make me blush

Sigur Ros Stache
05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Arcade Fire will be the perfect headliner of Coachella next year!
I also foresee Sigur Ros (even though i don't care for em)
the third..hmmm, I dunno.

greghead
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I highly doubt Sigur Ros will headline, maybe close down the Outdoor or play before a headliner. They're a great band but they have very little drawing power outside of the indie/hipster crowd.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Arcade Fire will be the perfect headliner of Coachella next year!
I also foresee Sigur Ros (even though i don't care for em)
the third..hmmm, I dunno.

You don't care for Sigur Ros? Your screenname says otherwise...:cat

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-17-2009, 08:07 AM
I highly doubt Sigur Ros will headline, maybe close down the Outdoor or play before a headliner. They're a great band but they have very little drawing power outside of the indie/hipster crowd.

Given the area (LA, San Diego and even Las Vegas being close by and SR bring popular in all said cities), I actually think that Sigur Ros COULD headline. But their crowd would be more of a Jack Johnson 30k crowd then a bigger headliner. Remember they sold out the Hollywood Bowl.....

Still-ill
05-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Given the area (LA, San Diego and even Las Vegas being close by and SR bring popular in all said cities), I actually think that Sigur Ros COULD headline. But their crowd would be more of a Jack Johnson 30k crowd then a bigger headliner. Remember they sold out the Hollywood Bowl.....

Could but they probably won't. I wouldn't mind personally, I would probably get prime viewing position considering the crowd. But I definitely don't see that happening, they aren't enough of a household name.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-17-2009, 09:02 AM
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1225691#post1225691

TommyboyUNM
05-17-2009, 09:46 AM
MUSE

Kid B
05-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Muse NEEDS to happen next year. New album due out in September and I'm guessing another 2 - 2 1/2 years of touring. How fucking legendary would this be on the polo fields?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zb_41IZjaW0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zb_41IZjaW0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't know why we should worry about headliners when Europe does a good job at making them for us...I think Muse would be great.

prettydirtything
05-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Muse NEEDS to happen next year. New album due out in September and I'm guessing another 2 - 2 1/2 years of touring. How fucking legendary would this be on the polo fields?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zb_41IZjaW0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zb_41IZjaW0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I am surprised at how much space is between the crowd and the stage at the big Euro fests compared to Coachella.. More people? Liability issues? Cups full of piss?

chucky canuck
05-17-2009, 11:32 AM
muse!!!!

Kid B
05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
It's funny how across the seas they were headlining Glasto while over here they were fourth or fifth line down on the bill. Did anyone see their set when they played Coachella? I would have loved to, but unfortunately didn't go in 2004.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I saw some of their 2004 set from the food court. Lots of lights and energy for 3 in the afternon.

Karl Hyde
05-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I should.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-17-2009, 12:31 PM
I agree with Karl...Underworld for Friday night headliner...

MissingPerson
05-17-2009, 01:09 PM
I know the conversation's been put to bed already, but I forgot to mention it earlier when it would have been relevant.

Single sales aren't an entirely accurate metric for measuring a band like Arcade Fire's success or brand recognition, because they don't have a singles-driven business model.

A more mainstream, major-label band have an established model where they use their label's cash and resources to push singles, both as a further source of income for the artists themselves and, from a label point of view, as an extension of the band's brand.

But Arcade Fire are set up differently. It's not really in their interest to invest in pushing singles as hard. They don't have the same existing infrastructure to hand, so the return wouldn't justify the investment. But on the other hand, they get a far larger percentage of their own touring revenue and album sales than their more mainstream counterparts.

That's where their dinner is, rather than singles, and they know it. Neon Bible's launch was pushed hard - TV ads and magazine full-pages and all - but by contrast I was barely aware of any of the single launches. Their physical single releases largely consist of a few cute 7" vinyls, and their download sales usually go straight to charity anyway.

Single sales are less meaningful to them than they would be to other bands that function differently. So, again, while it's an important factor worth thinking about, it's deceptive to get wrapped up in it just because it offers tangible figures to talk about.

As for the amount of space between the crowd and the stage at Euro festival, yeah, it's a safety issue. It's about security mainly, but it also means you can monitor a huge crowd for crushing and pull out anybody who's in trouble, which has been a problem in the past.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I :pulse MP

Grant
05-17-2009, 01:31 PM
If Thom Yorke and the guy from Keane made a baby, Muse's lead singer would be the product. Not that this is a good thing, just pointing it out. Thank you and good day/night/morning.

Karl Hyde
05-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I agree with Karl...Underworld for Friday night headliner...

Cheers.

We're one of the few dance musicians than can carry a mainstage, along with Thomas and Guy. Shame though, for their great music you'd think they had two left feet on the dance floor. Can't hold a candle to my moves.

AlecEiffel
05-18-2009, 01:09 AM
This conversation is frivoulous. Coachella has been destroyed. Macca brought in 75,000 people. Unless they get Macca to repeat his performance then I'm not even sure they should have another Coachella. Only the Rolling Stones could possibly bring numbers that high, and even then they could never top those of Macca.

sonofhal
05-18-2009, 02:20 AM
75,000? I thought the place had a capacity of 60,000 - and it didn't actually seem all that packed.

Coachella has sold out some days before (Radiohead, Rage). I think there is certainly more than one other act on the planet who could do that.

Boourns
05-18-2009, 02:28 AM

Sigur Ros didn't sell out the Bowl...the attendance was around 8,000. It was just a special thing.

SeeYouAuntie
05-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Pearl Jam
Radiohead
Tool

Optimistic
05-18-2009, 05:44 AM
The problem with Coachella and Arcade Fire is that Coachella only really has 3 headliners. Whereas ACL and Lollapalooza have 5-6 and Bonnaroo has basically as many as they want. Arcade Fire just seems like a somewhat weak #3 at this poing (of course after their next album/tour it could be another story). But they just seem too big for a subheadliner spot now so there's almost not a place for them at Coachella. At lolla/acl though, they could be anywhere from 3-5 and have a headliner spot AND be put up against a more mainstream headliner so a little smaller crowd wouldn't make a difference. But i don't think we need to worry. i really think Bonnaroo/Lolla will be the 2 major fests to get Arcade Fire next year since they both missed out in 07.

Distorted_Jungle
05-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Man if fuckin Zeppelin played coachella would sell out without a doubt and i'm not the biggest fan but i do like a good amount of what they came out with and would watch every second of that show in aww. If this ever happens it will be amazing and i would feel bad for anyone playing at any other stage at that time because nobody will be watching it.

joggs1
05-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Well my first choice would be Fleetwood Mac Followed by Bowie then The Black Crowes after that any old shit would do

AlecEiffel
05-18-2009, 09:30 AM
75,000? I thought the place had a capacity of 60,000 - and it didn't actually seem all that packed.

Coachella has sold out some days before (Radiohead, Rage). I think there is certainly more than one other act on the planet who could do that.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31895

seyrnon
05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31895

so the ramblings of a dumbass with a broken caps lock key is supposed to act as proof in this argument?

MissingPerson
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM
God, I'd forgotten how fucking annoying that guy was.

Arcade Fire just seems like a somewhat weak #3 at this poing (of course after their next album/tour it could be another story). But they just seem too big for a subheadliner spot now so there's almost not a place for them at Coachella.

This makes quite a bit of sense.

AlecEiffel
05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
so the ramblings of a dumbass with a broken caps lock key is supposed to act as proof in this argument?

I shouldn't even have to explain that I wasn't being serious. Come on.

paganman7
05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Friday: REM
The Cranberries, PJ Harvey

Saturday: Daft Punk
Massive Attack, Underworld

Sunday: Pearl Jam
Oingo Boingo, Jane's Addiction

BlackSwan
05-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Bands. You know, the good ones who make the music.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Friday: REM
The Cranberries, PJ Harvey

Saturday: Daft Punk
Massive Attack, Underworld

Sunday: Pearl Jam
Oingo Boingo, Jane's Addiction

I would enjoy the fuck out of Saturday....Friday would be awesome because of PJ Harvey and Sunday...I am not sure but I would find something to do.

mr powerful
05-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Prince 2008>Paul McCartney 2009>The Rolling Stones 2010

tigermilkboy
05-22-2009, 01:30 PM

A real possibility with The Who/Bowie/Neil Young etc...personally I am done with over 60 year olds headlining. I call enough is enough!

r1ckola
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Fri: Sub - Roxy Music

Sat: Sub- TV on the Radio

Sun: Sub- The Flaming Lips

Fri: Head- Lou Reed

Sat: Head- The White Stripes

Sun: Head- David Bowie

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-22-2009, 07:05 PM
A real possibility with The Who/Bowie/Neil Young etc...personally I am done with over 60 year olds headlining. I call enough is enough!

I wouldn't mind Bowie (of course!)....and Neil as long as he isn't a headliner...

Mahlberg23
05-23-2009, 04:28 AM
I would love to see

Friday:
Sub- Muse
Head- The White Stripes

Saturday:
Sub- Massive Attack
Head- The Flaming Lips
Daft Punk Closing in the tent

Sunday:
Sub- The Arcade Fire
Head- David Bowie

Throw Outkast in there somewhere or maybe a Fugees Reunion and That would be a perfect Coachella. Unless they want to give us Radiohead again, which will never happen.

seyrnon
05-23-2009, 09:02 AM
I shouldn't even have to explain that I wasn't being serious. Come on.

yeah, I probably should of thought that threw a little more before I got all agro

AlecEiffel
05-23-2009, 09:56 AM
ah, you're ok.

SDsoldier7
05-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Stone Temple Pilots

underneathy
05-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Peter Gabriel !!
Grace Jones
Pearl Jam
David Byrne (one of the best live shows I've seen )
David Bowie (wow that would be awesome)
Led Zeppelin !
Flaming Lips --again? (I missed them last time)
Aretha Franklin ?
Sex Pistols
Simple Minds
Pretenders
No Doubt
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Annie Lennox and/or Eurythmics
(I love U2, but think they would be way too huge of a draw...)

don't know if they're big enough to headline:

Yaz
Sia
Arcade Fire
Tom Waits
T. Rex

Kid B
05-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Outdoor Stage:

Grizzly Bear
7:30 - 8:15

Main Stage

Metric
7:00 - 8:00

Sigur Ros:
8:30 - 9:30

Flaming Lips:
10 - End

Sahara Headliner:
Basement Jaxx

Saturday:

Outdoor Stage:

Bon Iver
7:30 - 8:30

Main Stage

Wilco

Massive Attack

Muse
10:00 - End

Sahara Headliner:
Simian Mobile Disco

Sunday:

Outdoor Stage (Sunset)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Main Stage

The National
6:25 - 7:30

Arcade Fire
8:00 - 9:00

David Bowie
9:30 - End

Sahara Headliner:
Underworld

Other acts I'd love to see:
Outkast
The White Stripes
Spoon
Tom Waits
The Decemberists
Daft Punk
Pearl Jam
Air
The Mars Volta
At the Drive-In
David Byrne
Elbow
Blur
Pulp
Beck
The Strokes
Lou Reed
Deadmau5
Passion Pit

frazzles
05-30-2009, 04:18 PM
^^^^^^
Has Metric on it--win. Although I hate railing on mainstage because the acts always seem to pay more attention to the side I'm not on.

SDsoldier7
05-30-2009, 05:38 PM
aerosmith

seyrnon
05-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Friday
Sunset Outdoor: Ugly Cassanova

Main Stage: Phoenix>Blur>The Kinks

Sahara Headliner: Fever Ray/The Knife

Saturday:
Sunset Outdoor:Tony Bennett (you can't tell me that wouldn't be pretty cool)

Main Stage: Elbow>Beck>David Bowie

Sahara Headliner: Basement Brothers (Chemical Brothers vs. Basement Jaxx)

Sunday:
Sunset Outdoor: Ian Anderson

Main Stage: The Mars Volta>Primus>TOOL

Sahara Headliner: Daft Punk Closing the weekend

Suffacated
05-30-2009, 08:23 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2D0LiAHkcz0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2D0LiAHkcz0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FB0op3PrUo4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FB0op3PrUo4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxnobIOlO9E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxnobIOlO9E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gw6NXQgXing&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gw6NXQgXing&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lymN3fl2dfk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lymN3fl2dfk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWZwnfaMSsQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWZwnfaMSsQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kid B
05-30-2009, 10:12 PM

Honestly, Rolling Stones would be a terrible follow up to McCartney and Prince. Besides the fun lights, fireworks, and stage show they're way past their prime as a live band.

seandlr
05-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Outdoor Stage:

Grizzly Bear
7:30 - 8:15

Main Stage

Metric

Sigur Ros:

Flaming Lips:
10 - End

Sahara Headliner:
Basement Jaxx

Saturday:

Outdoor Stage:

Bon Iver
7:30 - 8:30

Main Stage

Wilco

Massive Attack

Muse
10:00 - End

Sahara Headliner:
Simian Mobile Disco

Sunday:

Outdoor Stage (Sunset)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Main Stage

The National
6:25 - 7:30

Arcade Fire
8:00 - 9:00

David Bowie
9:30 - End

Sahara Headliner:
Underworld

Just to imagine a poster with that line up makes me crazy. I can't get over the idea of arcade fire leading into bowie. I think thats a spot arcade fire deserves. They're too big to be a sub, and just a tad too small to headline, so why not give them a lead into a legendary performer -> bowie.
I really want Gorillaz though (as you can tell)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-31-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't like the idea of Flaming Lips headlining over Sigur Ros.

sbessiso
05-31-2009, 07:47 AM

omg are you going to argue that the flaming lips cant headline but sigur ros can

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-31-2009, 07:48 AM
omg are you going to argue that the flaming lips cant headline but sigur ros can

nope.....but I don't think Flaming Lips should ever headline Coachella...even with their UFO stage set.

seandlr
05-31-2009, 05:49 PM
I can see what you mean, they both have equal music credibility, but you have to think of who would have the better closing performance

Kid B
06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
It probably wouldn't come down to that though. It would come down to which band would draw a larger crowd and sell tickets which out of those two would easily be the Flaming Lips.

condenser
06-02-2009, 08:38 PM
3 nights of MC Hammer

The Arcade Fire
The White Stripes
The David Bowie

Can we have 6 nights? I am torn.