PDA

View Full Version : The Gorillaz Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Monklish
03-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Plastic Beach has at best 42 minutes of legitimate material, so I should hope they're going to get out a decent selection from the previous albums.

hawkingvsreeve
03-02-2010, 05:01 PM
256 version is m4as. Boooooo.

PJandBompton
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I can't even listen to Stylo...Bobby Womack is fucking terrible. not gonna touch the other track with him either...not to mention that he's fucking mixed high on Stylo...

Standout tracks for me though...

Welcome to the World
Rhinestone Eyes
Broken
On Melancholy Hill
Glitter Freeze
Some Kind of Nature
Sweepstakes

hawkingvsreeve
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
The rest of Stylo is so great though. Whatever. You like Sweepstakes. Null and void.

rage patton
03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Man, Im really starting to love this album. Im still not really a fan of Welcome To The World of Plastic Beach or White Flag... but the rest of the album really is fantastic. Superfast Jellyfish just recently revealed its greatness to me on my drive home. It is just so silly and so much fun. That is going to sound great on the Polo Fields. But seriously, Empire Ants has made it into the upper levels of all Gorillaz songs. That song is pretty much perfect.

I really wish I could get into the first couple tracks though.

Gribbz
03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Took me a bit to get into White Flag.

wmgaretjax
03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Superfast Jellyfish -> Empire Ants -> Glitter Freeze is fucking gold. The rest is really hit and miss.

getbetter
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I'll be upset if they don't play Empire Ants.I have grown to like the song that much!

hawkingvsreeve
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I've come around on the first couple tracks. Sweepstakes through the end I skip though.

CoachellaBlood
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Can someone please PM me a link with the bonus track?

HAMMERHEAD
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
did anybody else dl a not-so-legal copy of plastic beach and get a full album of rickrolls?

i was driving today and was quickly debonerized after a hasty download/ipod sync had me sitting in traffic listening to rick astley. for a meme that deserved to die years ago, i will admit it was an excellent rickroll.

Gribbz
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
did anybody else dl a not-so-legal copy of plastic beach and get a full album of rickrolls?

i was driving today and was quickly debonerized after a hasty download/ipod sync had me sitting in traffic listening to rick astley. for a meme that deserved to die years ago, i will admit it was an excellent rickroll.

hahahahahhahahaha

ArcadeParade
03-02-2010, 05:58 PM
what.cd is chaos with this disc

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Hot damn, that Rick Roll story is awesome

Monklish
03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
... yes, another hysterical Rick Roll story.

hawkingvsreeve
03-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Overload. Overload. Coming up-NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP

hendrixfan143
03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
listening to plastic beach. I fell it would lose it's effect if not played straight through with an encore of old songs

gmoneyak
03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
After another couple listens, "Some Kind Of Nature" is definitely growing on me. I totally wasn't feeling it the first time through.

I'll be listening to this album for awhile, I really envision "Empire Ants", "Rhinestone Eyes" and "On Melancholy Hill" having some serious longevity..

I still can't get into Jellyfish, the one goofy voice just fucks it up for me. I do love the chorus, though.

BlackSwan
03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
I finally got to watch the Stylo video. Fucking badass.

psycobetabuckdown
03-02-2010, 07:55 PM
After another couple listens, "Some Kind Of Nature" is definitely growing on me. I totally wasn't feeling it the first time through.

I'll be listening to this album for awhile, I really envision "Empire Ants", "Rhinestone Eyes" and "On Melancholy Hill" having some serious longevity..

I still can't get into Jellyfish, the one goofy voice just fucks it up for me. I do love the chorus, though.

Opposite for me, I like everything but the chorus so far. Too poppy for the rest of the song.

boarderwoozel3
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Mmmhmm, 320.

kreutz2112
03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm on Empire Ants right now. It's really the only song that I have liked so far.

TallGuyCM
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Standout tracks for me though...

Welcome to the World

This is the least surprising news of 2010 so far. Cue the "oh man if you only knew how big of Snoop fans me and my boys are, you'd understand why we love that song" defense.

sbessiso
03-02-2010, 10:01 PM
FUUUUUUCK this album is good. Love the flow

I'm sure you guys have discussed this already but how do you think the set list will look like?

I think it would be best to do 30 mins of hits. Then go into Plastic Beach in its entirety.

I think that's better than Plastic Beach first. Then playing other songs.

Why do people think theyre gunna do the whole album? You think theyre gunna do that Lou Reed song without him there?

TallGuyCM
03-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Why do people think theyre gunna do the whole album? You think theyre gunna do that Lou Reed song without him there?

This is a really good point.

cormaic
03-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Well, when they did Demon Days live they did the entire album front to back, and they used backing footage and vocals for MF Doom's appearance on November Has Come, since he wasn't actually there. They also had a backing Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head too I think.

Still-ill
03-02-2010, 10:26 PM
They'll just have Barry Gibb do it. He'll demand to do it in falsetto, though. I hope that is ok with everyone.

sbessiso
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah but that was the Demon Days tour. This is them headlining one of the biggest festivals in the country. I mean you know as much as I do, im personally just not expecting to hear the whole album (a lot of it sure). That would be silly

Gribbz
03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Lou Reed won't be there because of what Damon said in that one interview, right? "We couldn't get Lou Reed to commit to any shows."

Or was there something else too?

Still-ill
03-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah that's why Barry Gibb is doing it live.

Gribbz
03-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Nahhhhh.

sbessiso
03-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Lou will be in Europe

Gribbz
03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Word. I just hope they play On Melancholy Hill.

Still-ill
03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
http://monerai.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/barry-gibb1.jpg

Gribbz
03-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Woof.

brando4n82
03-02-2010, 10:54 PM
FUUUUUUCK this album is good. Love the flow

Serious, and Shaun Ryder already confirmed that he will be there to perform DARE

Still-ill
03-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Ooooh.

getbetter
03-02-2010, 11:25 PM
YES Shaun Ryder!!!! i just watched 24 hour party people tonight too.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JR_a8h4gaLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JR_a8h4gaLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

fucker couldn't even wait to eat the candy after one song.Should I really be upset at myself that I missed Happy Monday in 07?

Monklish
03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Serious, and Shaun Ryder already confirmed that he will be there to perform DARE

Where is this? Last I saw he was refusing to go because they wouldn't opt for a first-class ticket for him.

God I wish he wouldn't show up. I don't know how any of you can feel otherwise. Have you fucking watched that clip of him butchering DARE?

TallGuyCM
03-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Never liked DARE to begin with.

Monklish
03-02-2010, 11:55 PM
You've gotta be the whitest person alive, TallGuy.

crazzz2007
03-02-2010, 11:57 PM
so i like the album a lot. but every time i listen to it, it gets a little bit less good. it's the opposite of a "grower."

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Fuck I REALLY hope snoop is there to welcome us in person

WhyTheLongFace
03-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Broken has grown on me

darksideofkaos.
03-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Rhinestone Eyes on the Polo Fields.... I approve

Bruce Willis driving a car across the Polo Fields shooting at the stage... I approve

shotglass75
03-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Album Review: Gorillaz – Plastic Beach

By Ted Maider on March 3rd, 2010 in Album Reviews, Hot
6 Comments »

Our rating:
★★★★˝

“The revolution will be televised,” Snoop Dogg informs us within the first two minutes of Plastic Beach, the third and final album from Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett’s creative masterpiece, the Gorillaz. The Gorillaz revolution certainly was indeed televised at first. They have always had a distinct animated style that set the aesthetic to numerous music videos with bizarre premises and very different song styles. But, the music video art form is almost dead to the televised world, and still, the Gorillaz have managed to stay on top of the popular music scene. Albarn still knows how to write amazing songs and pull in collaborators that span the vast scope of sound and Hewlett still knows how to create perfect images to accompany the song and cryptic storyline behind the band.

However, it’s hard to discuss one entity of the Gorillaz without discussing the other, as the cartoon band’s story is just as important. From what I can gather from the trailers, Murdoc Niccals has kidnapped 2D and taken him to the Plastic Beach. He does this by knocking him out with sleeping gas and stuffing him into a suitcase. Russell, the clever and large drummer that he is, dives after the boat and swims off to the beach as well. So now, the Gorillaz are hanging out on what looks like the coolest Play Mobile set of an island I have ever seen and have created a record that is just as amazing as the previous two. Welcome to the world of the Plastic Beach.

Snoop Dogg joins the gang on “Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach”, the laid back, horn ridden, and true opener to this record (“Orchestral Intro” is track one). The beat is reminiscent of Doggfather-era Snoop and his rhymes flow with the smooth eloquence his fans are accustomed to. “Kids gather around/I need your focus/I know it seems like the world is so hopeless,” Snoop says in a dark set of lyrics which clearly go along with Albarn’s (or Niccals’s) view on the world at large. “White Flag” is a classy number with instrumentation by the Lebanese National Orchestra for Oriental Arabic Music and raps from Kano and Bashy. The song opens with a wonderful flute loop, accompanied by a group of strings before a catchy keyboard riff and drum beat play as Kano and Bashy rap. At the song’s ending though, the classical music returns along with the drumbeats creating a soothing finale.

“Rhinestone Eyes” is by far one of the best achievements on the album. Damon’s (or 2D’s) vocals are perfect, with that slow drawl he achieved almost a decade ago with the chorus of “Clint Eastwood”. “Rain is falling like rhinestones from the sky,” sounds beautiful as this intricately constructed song rages on making anybody listening yearning to dance. By now, anybody who is reading this article has probably heard “Stylo”, the first single from the album featuring a harsh-tongued verse from Mos Def and a crooning, yet velvety finale from Bobby Womack, who apparently was told to sing anything that was on his mind. The result is a diabolical first single that will surely win over the masses. As the years go on, the Gorillaz pop sensibility never ceases to amaze me.

“Superfast Jellyfish” features the return of De La Soul, as well as adding Gruff Rhys to the mix. The raps are so crisp and fresh, talking about instant breakfasts, mom’s recipes and to polish it off is one of the Gorillaz’ most fly chorus lines of their career. “Empire Ants” is a tropical number that whisks you away to the Plastic Beach, allowing you to maybe get the idea that the Gorillaz might be enjoying themselves on this mysterious island, much like the characters on Lost should be enjoying themselves (I still don’t get why they’re trying to save the world, just hang out on the beach, dammit). Halfway through though, the song turns into a dance beat straight out of the ’80s (reminiscent of Thriller-era MJ).

Lou Reed guests on “Some Kind of Nature”, which makes total sense given the melody of the song, its instrumentation, and its bizarre aesthetic that recalls early Velvet Underground. It’s strange to consider that the Velvets still have such an impact on (popular) music 40 years after their debut. Reed’s vocals are a perfect match and it’s interesting to hear a cartoon band state, “All we are, is dust” (they’re paper, or an After Effects file). “On Melancholy Hill” sounds like something right off of The Beatles’ Magical Mystery Tour, if only it had come out in 1987. A beautiful set of synth lines carry Damon’s lulling voice as he sings about plastic trees on melancholy hills. Is that enough of an amazing equation?

Speaking of amazing, the title track takes the cake, as remaining Clash members Mick Jones and Paul Simonon join in on the fun. The surf style guitars at the beginning, the keyboards throughout the main song, and Albarn’s distorted voice make this one of the standout songs on the record. And the album ends with two short gems that make you just want to start the album over again. “Cloud of Unknowing”, a heavenly number with organs and the voice of Bobby Womack lulling you to sleep in a fashion reminiscent of Pink Floyd in the late ’70s, and the rousing finale, “Pirate Jet”. This upbeat, jazzy number calls out the curtains on a triumphant note, proving that the Gorillaz have created yet another masterpiece.

Comparing the Gorillaz to Pink Floyd seems a bit over-the-top. This exact comparison is drawn in the documentary Bananaz, to which Albarn responds, “Well, no offense to Pink Floyd, but we’ve got tunes/toons.” His comment draws more attention than that shitty comparison. If he’s using tunes in the sense of music, he’s absolutely right. The Gorillaz have some of the best pop sensibility of this time period, even though their songs are intellectually superior to all of pop radio. On top of that, they are always able to pull influences from all over music and from their personal collection (e.g. The Clash, Lou Reed, Sean Ryder, Dennis Hopper, etc.). And if he means cartoons, he’s right again. When looking back, kids will ask us what the deal with the Gorillaz was and why they were so cool? Why? Curiosity, that’s why. Albarn and Hewlett have kept everybody curious about the Gorillaz for 10 years with their album’s secrecy, unique storytelling, and distinct visual style. This is why they are able to flourish and produce amazing records. They have kept everything mysterious, while the rest of the music industry insisted on putting things out in the open. This is why they are awesome, this is why they are important, and this is why they’ll be remembered another decade from now.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/03/03/album-review-gorillaz-plastic-beach/

TallGuyCM
03-03-2010, 08:13 AM
You've gotta be the whitest person alive, TallGuy.

And I'm ok with that.

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 09:07 AM
"Plastic Beach" the song might be the best one. Possibly.

Aurgasm
03-03-2010, 09:49 AM

It probably isn't though. Think about it.

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Well, its tough to pick just one but its a standout for me

To Binge is amazing as well

higgybaby23
03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm on my fourth or fifth listen. Great album all the way through. There really is no hype other than this board, but I feel it lives up to most of our members expectations.

GeezrRckr
03-03-2010, 10:00 AM
the 320 sounds great (bass!)

amyzzz
03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Ok, I fucking love this album.

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 10:12 AM

maybe.

love the record.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2576648857_faa759a1a1.jpg

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm on my fourth or fifth listen. Great album all the way through. There really is no hype other than this board, but I feel it lives up to most of our members expectations.

good reviews are trickling in now.

COS, Prefix, gave it glowing reviews.

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
whats the most awesome sleek special edition available?

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
it has a dvd with it, different colored art. I've only seen two available, will dig around later though.

"Deluxe version of Plastic Beach includes the standard 16-track CD, as well as a 45-minute "making of" documentary DVD that provides online access to extra music, games and videos."

GnarVee
03-03-2010, 10:42 AM
it has a dvd with it, different colored art. I've only seen two available, will dig around later though.

as well as a 45-minute "making of" documentary DVD "

I MUST HAVE THIS.

ErikFlyingV
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
I've heard rumors of a Super Fucking Deluxe edition coming out, but not until Aug at the earliest.

Again, that is just a rumor.

DFrank
03-03-2010, 11:00 AM

"Deluxe version of Plastic Beach includes the standard 16-track CD, as well as a 45-minute "making of" documentary DVD that provides online access to extra music, games and videos."

I can has this now please?

I'm on my 5th listen, i just cant help but rewind and listen to Superfast Jellyfish->Empire Ants->Glitter Freeze.

ALSO, i think im going to loose my shit on Sunday when Empire Ants starts grooving around 2:14 mark.

higgybaby23
03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
ALSO, i think im going to loose my shit on Sunday when Empire Ants starts grooving around 2:14 mark.

THIS!!!!

My plan is to peak at that moment and ride the beautiful wave through to Monday morning....or the rest of 2010.

Gribbz
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Adam, check your fb messages.

Oh, and On Melancholy Hill.

higgybaby23
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Adam, check your fb messages.

Oh, and On Melancholy Hill.

Just got your message. I'm looking, not holding. Will keep you posted.

Gribbz
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I assumed you weren't. Thanks.

higgybaby23
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
All should be well for the fest, but any fun before that is a big question mark.

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 11:26 AM

That part always makes me feel like this

http://creamteam.tv/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/falcor.jpg

higgybaby23
03-03-2010, 11:41 AM
^I feel some of that and some of this....

http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/secondhelpings/uploaded_images/vincevega-794357.jpg

Still-ill
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
It's kinda weird how "Glitter Freeze" sounds like the Fall. Like, I can easily imagine the hook of "What you Need" fitting into this song.

humanoid
03-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I think Superfast Jellyfish/Empire Ants/Glitter Freeze is the only portion of the album that I like...in fact, I think I kinda hate a lot of the rest of it

DFrank
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I kinda hate you for saying that.

BlackSwan
03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I like it, but at the same time I find Glitter Freeze annoyingly repetitive. I still love Rhinestone Eyes, Empire Ants, and On Melancholy Hill, and really like the whole album, but I wish there was more non-synth instrumentation.

GeezrRckr
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I finally got to watch the Stylo video. Fucking badass.

me too. ditto (great ending)!

OutOfmYminD
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
This is a fun album. I have a feeling it will become my summertime album and Gorillaz -> Orbital is going to be an amazing closing 1 2 for Coachella this year.

amyzzz
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I will never forgive GV if TY, Gorillaz, and Orbital overlap.

I keep listening to this damn thing over and over.

BlackSwan
03-03-2010, 12:20 PM
me too. ditto (great ending)!

I love how they had Bruce Willis look at the camera twice... classic. I wondered what the deal with the smoke monster was though.

humanoid
03-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I kinda hate you for saying that.

dissenting opinions not allowed!! You must love new Gorillaz album!!!...how boring

GeezrRckr
i thought the VERY SAME THING. there's no way it could be a Lost reference, eh?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein

I keep listening to this damn thing over and over.

Yeah, I was continuously saying that I was going to be at orbital no Matter What, but this album is a lot of fun and has all of a sudden got me very excited about the live show.

It's going to depend for me, how insane the visuals are, how long I stay at their set

Still-ill
I think Superfast Jellyfish/Empire Ants/Glitter Freeze is the only portion of the album that I like...in fact, I think I kinda hate a lot of the rest of it

Hate is such a strong word.

Gribbz
03-03-2010, 12:25 PM
"Glitter Freeze" I find repetitive. One of the few songs I don't really care for on the album. It's not terrible though.

humanoid
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I like it, but at the same time I find Glitter Freeze annoyingly repetitive. I still love Rhinestone Eyes, Empire Ants, and On Melancholy Hill, and really like the whole album, but I wish there was more non-synth instrumentation.

I find far too much of the album to be annoyingly repetitive. My main complaint is the incessant synth presence, I'd like to hear some different sounds. It lends the entire album a cheeseball factor for me. I guess it fits the sound that an album by a cartoon band should have.

amyzzz
03-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I love the cheeseball synths!

I also like that Stylo is a such a low-key-sounding single.

I can't wait to trip to this album.

:pulse :pulse :pulse

humanoid
03-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Hate is such a strong word.

I'm just strongly disappointed. I've been a huge fan of Damon's work in his various incarnations for a long time and I look forward to anything he's involved in. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy this one very much at all. I'm still willing to give it more of a chance though, possibly it can grow on me...but my hope is fading.

The entire album has a very similar sound to it and it bores me. I love the first Gorillaz album due to it's stylistic diversity. It never latches onto a specific sound or vibe and it kept it thoroughly interesting throughout, the exact opposite feeling I get from this album.

Gribbz
03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Personally, I can't decide if I like this more than Demon Days. I'm enjoying how different they are though.

Monklish
03-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Oh my god, I wish you fucking idiots would stop saying things like this.

amyzzz
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I like repeating things until they are true.

ErikFlyingV
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I am still not a big fan of the first. Lots of songs are annoying and feel kinda flat. Some work very well, while others to me just go nowhere and I usually skip them.

Demon Days is a classic, and only time will tell about this one. But so far, I can't stop listening.

Monklish
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Start repeating something to make yourself less ugly.

amyzzz
03-03-2010, 12:42 PM
It doesn't work. :(

digitaldragon03
03-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Okay, the first few times i listened to the album, i really loved the middle portion of it, but the beginning and end wasnt that memorable. The thing is that these first few listens happened on headphones. After listening to the album for the past 2 days in my car, all these songs really come alive. Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach, White Flag, Broken, Plastic Beach all are much more dynamic when you have a good sound stage. It kinda dawned on me that i didnt love Demon Days and the self-titled until i listened to it while twisting down the road with the windows down and sunroof open. Gorillaz is perfect driving music.

DFrank
03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Uhh quite possible it'll overlap with Orbital at the end. Thom Yorke? No way. I dont see anyone on the Outdoor Stage during Gorillaz to prevent sound leakage.

Lets get back to discussing how Empire Ants is the new baby-making song of 2010.

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I love how they had Bruce Willis look at the camera twice... classic. I wondered what the deal with the smoke monster was though.

I also like how the car turns into a fish or something.

I really want these P-Sides

from wiki

Several musicians who collaborated on songs for the album did not end up having all or any of their songs appear on the final album; some guests announced to have collaborated with the band do not feature on the album. British garage rock band The Horrors were invited to play on the album after Albarn heard their 2009 album Primary Colours.[15] They recorded a track with Albarn,[16] but no songs with the band appear on the final album. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Posdnuos of De La Soul said that the group had provided vocals on two songs for the album, "Electric Shock" and "Sloped Tropics".[17] De La Soul only features on one song on the album, titled "Superfast Jellyfish". Gruff Rhys recorded two songs — "Superfast Jellyfish" and "Leviathan". The latter, described by Rhys as "more of a night-time song, a three o'clock in the morning, speeding down the autobahn evading West German police-type track", does not feature on the album.[12] Mos Def said that he collaborated with Albarn on three songs,[14] however, he only appears on two songs on the album. Albarn had previously announced that musician Barry Gibb would feature on the album but Gibb does not appear on any of the album's tracks.[2] Animated Gorillaz bassist Murdoc said the band had collaborated with actress Una Stubbs,[5] however, she too does not appear on any of the album's tracks.

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Being the SFA fan, I had heard about Leviathan, and the Barry Gibb thing, but not the others.

I think we may see some of these come out, always b-sides to the singles at least.

This entire record is GREAT. I like the Fall, so repetitive things like Glitter Freeze, sounding like the Fall, is pretty much perfect to me.

ZackQ
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Totally agree with this. Glitter Freeze is probably my least favorite part of the album. I don't think it's terrible, but it's the only track that I've been regularly skipping.

SoulDischarge
03-03-2010, 02:01 PM
"Superfast Jellyfish" is really fucking embarrassing. Maybe it'll become less so on repeated listens, but ugh.

ErikFlyingV
03-03-2010, 02:01 PM
New Gorillaz fanclub. They say it will have presale for upcoming shows.

http://gorillaz.com/G-Club

Also, word around the street is UK fanclub members will get to watch them rehearse for Coachella in a private rehearsal room.

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Glitter Freeze adds a dynamic to the song order that I find to be a perfect fit. Esp stuck right inbetween Empire Ants and Some Kind of Nature.

ZackQ
"Superfast Jellyfish" is really fucking embarrassing. Maybe it'll become less so on repeated listens, but ugh.

I didn't like it at first. But I've started to dig its goofiness, and I even find myself singing parts of it.

C DUB YA

You must not like Superfurry Animals.

hawkingvsreeve
03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Okay, the first few times i listened to the album, i really loved the middle portion of it, but the beginning and end wasnt that memorable. The thing is that these first few listens happened on headphones. After listening to the album for the past 2 days in my car, all these songs really come alive. Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach, White Flag, Broken, Plastic Beach all are much more dynamic when you have a good sound stage. It kinda dawned on me that i didnt love Demon Days and the self-titled until i listened to it while twisting down the road with the windows down and sunroof open. Gorillaz is perfect driving music.

How does the sound of air moving past your car at 50 miles an hour with your windows down enhance the sound stage?

SoulDischarge
03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I like them well enough. I just don't like heavy handed anti-commercialism raps with retarded samples.

ErikFlyingV
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
How does the sound of air moving past your car at 50 miles an hour with your windows down enhance the sound stage?

It's the feeling of driving that enhances it. Listening to Demon Days will driving down 280 on a sunny day is a different experience than in your dark room with headphones. However, both are brilliant.

I can't wait to listen to Plastic Beach while cruising down to Coachella.

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
fair enough

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Glitter Freeze adds a dynamic to the song order that I find to be a perfect fit. Esp stuck right inbetween Empire Ants and Some Kind of Nature.

I agree 100%, I love that track. Cant wait to dance to it live

digitaldragon03
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
That aspect doesnt enhance the sound stage, but it definitely enhances the experience for some. No denying that there is a different dynamic to the music when you got bass, mid-range, and tweeters coming at you from different directions.

Boourns
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I'll be upset if they don't play Empire Ants.I have grown to like the song that much!

Seconded. And especially To Binge.

OutOfmYminD
03-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Did the new Stylo video reveal anything about the order in which singles and or videos will be released?

Three song titles were presented in this order, Stylo > Superfast Jellyfish > Sweepstakes.

Which songs would you like to see given the video/single treatment?

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Empire Ants

ZackQ
03-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Rhinestone Eyes and On Meloncholy Hill

FoxeyLady
03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I hope Rhinestone Eyes gets a video.

Gribbz
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Glitter Freeze would be pretty good if it didn't have that relentlessly annoying sound effect that never stops.

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
i cant get enough of that sound effect

hawkingvsreeve
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
The laser sounding car alarm thing?

superfiction
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
its not a sound effect its just a synth....and what the fuck is a "sound stage" you mean those places they shoot movies? this thread is getting ridiculous

hawkingvsreeve
03-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Are you saying that synths dont affect sounds?

Gribbz
03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
The laser sounding car alarm thing?

Yes.

superfiction
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
no but im saying "sound effects" are in a classiication of their own. thats like being like. i cant get enough of that guitar part. when realy its a synth. sound effects are triggered well, sound effects. i meah yes in the broader sense of the words anything is a sound that effects the song. all that is is a sythn with a mod wheel opening and closing the filter. ive done it 10 trillion times before this song ever came out.

hawkingvsreeve
03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Really? 10 trillion?

superfiction
03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Really? 10 trillion?

youre right, probably 11 trillion

Monklish
03-03-2010, 03:31 PM
It's a synth with a filter. A filter is a sound effect.

Monklish
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
But I agree with you that knowing how to make those sounds makes them infinitely less impressive.

superfiction
It's a synth with a filter. A filter is a sound effect.

fair enough

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
Would you come to a class at the recording studio i work at as a guest speaker? Your grasp of sound is stunning.

hawkingvsreeve
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
What I am getting at here is this:

Who cares?

Not everybody is knowledgeable about the production side of it, so they are going to call it whatever they think is appropriate. Doesn't approaching it like "all that is is a sythn with a mod wheel opening and closing the filter." suck the fun out of for you? Just enjoy.

superfiction
But I agree with you that knowing how to make those sounds makes them infinitely less impressive.

yeah i think thats closer to what i was trying to get at. it still compliments the song really well and i really enjoy it but its not like zooomg ive never heard anything like this. its one of the first things i figured out how to do.

so. yeah.

amyzzz
It sounds fucking cool though. The lesson here is stop playing with your synths and it will sound cool to you too. :thu

superfiction
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Would you come to a class at the recording studio i work at as a guest speaker? Your grasp of sound is stunning.

hey man i dont pretend to know everything. im just saying when things are super obvious, i cant really support getting excited about them.

and just curious where do you work?

amyzzz
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Speaking of sound effects, I like that part in Sweepstakes when it sounds like discordant synthy horns are falling from the sky.

GeezrRckr
who cares, that song blows anyway. more than half of us will hate it after the 10th listen. know why, cuz it sucks!

Monklish
What I am getting at here is this:

Who cares?

Not everybody is knowledgeable about the production side of it, so they are going to call it whatever they think is appropriate. Doesn't approaching it like "all that is is a sythn with a mod wheel opening and closing the filter." suck the fun out of for you? Just enjoy.

Well, in part we're just discussing how perspective can kinda ruin things. But moving aside from that, I don't really think it functions all that well in the song. The song never really goes anywhere because in essence it's centered around a rather cheap sound effect that is constant through 95 percent of the song. It sounds like a thousand tracks by a thousand electro DJs except most of them actually had a build and a progression, and some even had legitimate vocals.

superfiction
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
who cares, that song blows anyway. more than half of us will hate it after the 10th listen. know why, cuz it sucks!

its easily in my top 3 for the album. so no. i dont really agree with this

hawkingvsreeve
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
hey man i dont pretend to know everything. im just saying when things are super obvious, i cant really support getting excited about them.

This is silly to me. If I were to have the same train of thought, say with something I am very familiar with like drums, I couldn't enjoy any music at all. If I thought that every song that had On Melancholy Hill's drum part was nothing new and therefore boring, I'd be eliminating millions of great songs. House music wouldnt exist to me.

Just. Enjoy.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-03-2010, 03:39 PM

hahaha I'm just joshin' ya.

I'd rather not put the actual name of the studio on the board here, but I work as the audio engineer at a production house that focues mainly on radio commercials, and VO recording for video games, audio books, ADR, etc. We also have a Voice over school here.

GeezrRckr

yeah, how many times have you listened to it. it only took me 5x and i can't stand it now. repetitive, fluffy, poptard rubbish.

superfiction
Well, in part we're just discussing how perspective can kinda ruin things. But moving aside from that, I don't really think it functions all that well in the song. The song never really goes anywhere because in essence it's centered around a rather cheap sound effect that is constant through 95 percent of the song. It sounds like a thousand tracks by a thousand electro DJs except most of them actually had a build and a progression, and some even had legitimate vocals.

while we are on the same page about it not being groundbreaking if you read the track by track talk murdoc didnt he says this is kinda just their make noise moment on the record like punk was on the first one

Gribbz

Neither do I.

Monklish
This is silly to me. If I were to have the same train of thought, say with something I am very familiar with like drums, I couldn't enjoy any music at all. If I thought that every song that had On Melancholy Hill's drum part was nothing new and therefore boring, I'd be eliminating millions of great songs. House music wouldnt exist to me.

Just. Enjoy.

Can you listen to a song with bad drumming though? I can't. Not saying that's completely analogous, just asking.

superfiction
03-03-2010, 03:40 PM
hahaha I'm just joshin' ya.

I'd rather not put the actual name of the studio on the board here, but I work as the audio engineer at a production house that focues mainly on radio commercials, and VO recording for video games, audio books, ADR, etc. We also have a Voice over school here.

understandable and thats actually really cool. im going to school for audio engineering and we are doing commercials right now, its crazy how much detail goes into stuff id never really thought about

yeah, how many times have you listened to it. it only took me 5x and i can't stand it now. repetitive, fluffy, poptard rubbish.

easily 10+

hawkingvsreeve
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
No, but I would say that isn't entirely comparable. The notes on that synth part aren't incorrect or played in some completely haphazard rhythm.

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 03:42 PM
easily 10+

yup, my player says ive listened to it 11 times haha

GeezrRckr
bottom line is that whomever said that we may not be listening to PB much come this summer is on to something.

i don't really give a shit because all i care about is their performance on that sunday anyway.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
Can you listen to a song with bad drumming though? I can't. Not saying that's completely analogous, just asking.

Dealing with something that's just plain bad vs. overanalyzing and/or make weird, over-detailed comparisons to other things while listening to a song are two wildly different things, I think. Even for someone that's not a musician, it's hard to enjoy something that's not even well done (well, except if you're a vacuous retard, of which there are many out there buying records).

Monklish
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
No, but I would say that isn't entirely comparable. The notes on that synth part aren't incorrect or played in some completely haphazard rhythm.

I acknowledged that.

The biggest problem with the song is just that it's not really a song. It's a snippet stretched into a full song. That's the problem with most of the tracks on this album. It needed a real producer.

superfiction
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
also i would just like to chime in and say that while the albums tracks as standalone do not seem as strong as past records i do think as a whole i really really enjoy it start to finish. and so far i still enjoy listening straight through. as a greater concept i think all the tracks have their place and damon did a great job executing his vision

Monklish
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Dealing with something that's just plain bad vs. overanalyzing and/or make weird, over-detailed comparisons to other things while listening to a song are two wildly different things, I think. Even for someone that's not a musician, it's hard to enjoy something that's not even well done (well, except if you're a vacuous retard, of which there are many out there buying records).

The problem here is closest to something like Warp 1977. The song is annoying because it's primarily driven by a sound effect that drowns out the rest of the instruments and doesn't provide any real musical value. It doesn't have any true tonal input, it doesn't really add anything to the rhythm, it just "sounds cool" so they threw it ad nauseum all over the fucking track.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
understandable and thats actually really cool. im going to school for audio engineering and we are doing commercials right now, its crazy how much detail goes into stuff id never really thought about

Yeah, it can be pretty wild. I've had some :60 commercials with 4 tracks of audio, and some with more than 70. Sometimes i can do one pass at sound design and a mix and it goes right on the air, and sometimes I end up delivering 80 remixes. So much depends on how fickle a client is or how many cooks are able to get into the kitchen to make suggestions and fuck things up.

Such a big part of the job goes well beyond the technical aspects and just being able to stay organized and how to deal with complete dipshits all day.

hawkingvsreeve
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I acknowledged that.

The biggest problem with the song is just that it's not really a song. It's a snippet stretched into a full song. That's the problem with most of the tracks on this album. It needed a real producer.

I think if it were 90 seconds shorter it would benefit from that. I still enjoy it, but it's certainly not a standout or anything.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-03-2010, 03:47 PM
The problem here is closest to something like Warp 1977. The song is annoying because it's primarily driven by a sound effect that drowns out the rest of the instruments and doesn't provide any real musical value. It doesn't have any true tonal input, it doesn't really add anything to the rhythm, it just "sounds cool" so they threw it ad nauseum all over the fucking track.

Yeah, i recognize that a cool element can be overused and pretty much ruin an otherwize good song. it's an entirely different effect than say, when a band uses the same type of "cool sound," but so sparingly that the listener wishes it appeared a lot more.

i feel like we're having multiple conversation within the sdame one here, but whatever.

SoulDischarge
03-03-2010, 03:49 PM
This page tl;dr.

Monklish
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi, I'm Patrick. I'm going to walk all around the message board complaining about how things on it are a waste of my time even though I have absolutely nothing more important to do anyway.

SoulDischarge
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Even with all the time in the world, some of this shit is still a waste of it. You got your shtick, I've got mine.

superfiction
03-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, it can be pretty wild. I've had some :60 commercials with 4 tracks of audio, and some with more than 70. Sometimes i can do one pass at sound design and a mix and it goes right on the air, and sometimes I end up delivering 80 remixes. So much depends on how fickle a client is or how many cooks are able to get into the kitchen to make suggestions and fuck things up.

Such a big part of the job goes well beyond the technical aspects and just being able to stay organized and how to deal with complete dipshits all day.

yeah the sound design aspect of it blows my mind. even down to trying to get the proper ambiances for your VO's. its just nuts. i definitely have a new found respect for it. i cant even imagine trying to do foley stuff for film.

BlackSwan
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I like them well enough. I just don't like heavy handed anti-commercialism raps with retarded samples.

I think the song is good, but the samples are unnecessary.

I agree and disagree. It's the execution that's the problem. If I know how to make a sound, but someone does it really well, or in a way I've never tried before, or at least in a unusual melody, then I enjoy it and am impressed.

bottom line is that whomever said that we may not be listening to PB much come this summer is on to something.

I will be.

ZackQ
03-03-2010, 04:55 PM
yup, my player says ive listened to it 11 times haha

Ahahaha. It's exactly 10 on my iTunes.

Sushov23
03-03-2010, 05:29 PM

i'm on my 3rd listen and already i'm finding songs I will for sure skip. I agree with whoever is saying people won't be listening to this album a year from now, or whatever they are saying.

WhyTheLongFace
03-03-2010, 05:30 PM
the third and final album from Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett’s creative masterpiece, the Gorillaz.

Says who?

WhyTheLongFace
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Murdoc.

That evil motherfucker.

BlackSwan
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Says who?

Murdoc. He says it will be their last album in the interview in Q magazine.

humanoid
03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
did Murdoc say if Damon will ever create any new Blur material? (with Graham Coxon of course)

Gribbz
03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
i'm on my 3rd listen and already i'm finding songs I will for sure skip. I agree with whoever is saying people won't be listening to this album a year from now, or whatever they are saying.

Well then it's settled. No one will be listening to Plastic Beach in one year.

psycobetabuckdown
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Uh I definitely will. I don't usually get into music "temporarily"

Gribbz
03-03-2010, 05:45 PM
I wasn't being serious.

BlackSwan
03-03-2010, 05:56 PM
did Murdoc say if Damon will ever create any new Blur material? (with Graham Coxon of course)

I don't see that ever happening.

shakermaker113
03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
since when has damon ever stuck to his word for more than a few months? his plans change all the time.

BlackSwan
03-03-2010, 06:01 PM
You know I know that, but Blur making new music isn't just up to Damon.

shakermaker113
03-03-2010, 06:06 PM
true.

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 06:21 PM

after the reunion shows last year, all 4 of them said Blur was done. I believe them, I mean they really didn't even tour like a true reunion would dictate. Next thing you know, Damon's working on Gorillaz LP 3 and Graham is back doing his solo thang.

This reminds me to take my Blur box to work tomorrow for importing.

shakermaker113
03-03-2010, 06:28 PM
:weep:

superfiction
03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
:weep:

double weep

daftmonkey64
03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
broken = hot fire

humanoid
03-03-2010, 08:09 PM

I know....just some wishful thinking on my part since I'm not digging the new Gorillaz

psycobetabuckdown
03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I wasn't being serious.

o my bad

rage patton
03-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Murdoc. He says it will be their last album in the interview in Q magazine.

Gorillaz was supposed to be a one-and-done type thing. Then Damon decided to make Demon Days, and claimed that would be their last. Now Damon is claiming Plastic Beach will be their last. Hmmm. I believe there is a pattern here.

thewindowliquor
03-04-2010, 01:22 AM
i dunno if this has been posted yet, but its pretty rad:

We're doing Coachella, this fantastic festival in Palm Springs, near Los Angeles. Great golfing round there. It's like a big hot car park in the middle of the desert. And we've drafted in a whole slurry of big-name guest-stars, so check check check it out. 19 April. 2010. We're going to raze it to the ground.

Yeah, he got the date wrong.. whatever. Here's the full interview:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/gorillaz-monkey-business-1914798.html

digitaldragon03
03-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Dennis fucking Hopper better be in Indio.

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 01:49 AM
I hope the cd comes with lyrics but i highly doubt it does

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 03:01 AM
its a casio on the plastic beach

stuporfly
03-04-2010, 04:00 AM

Dave and Alex have always been quite keen, and last year Graham sounded as though it was a possibility...

So, after all this time, do you think you'll make another Blur record?
I'm up for it. If everybody gets through it all and we're all enjoying each other's company still and we've had a great time, I don't see why not.

I've also read since then that he's toeing the company line, that Blur is all finished. But as has been illustrated in this thread, people change their minds. Eventually this round of Gorillaz touring and hype will end, and Damon will have to occupy his time with something else. He's shown a knack for finding no end of interesting projects to work on, and maybe eventually it'll get back to Blur. That's what I'd like to believe, even if it's not terribly likely.

humanoid
03-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Dennis fucking Hopper better be in Indio.

Sadly, he's dying of cancer, I'm not sure he's available

stuporfly
03-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Sadly, he's dying of cancer, I'm not sure he's available

I guarantee you Peter Fonda's line is clear.

C DUB YA
03-04-2010, 05:00 AM
I know....just some wishful thinking on my part since I'm not digging the new Gorillaz

there are parts of Plastic Beach that are VERY Blur. On Melancholy Hill for example.

humanoid
03-04-2010, 06:03 AM
there are parts of Plastic Beach that are VERY Blur. On Melancholy Hill for example.

the complete lack of instrumentation apart from cheap sounding synths and drum machines bothers me.

I don't hear much on the album that is very Blur...but that's okay, I don't want it to sound like Blur, it's a completely independent project

Melancholy Hill does sound like it would fit on Think Tank, which I also find to be dreadfully uninspired. I feel Blur suffered dramatically from the lack of Graham Coxon's influence on that record.

humanoid
03-04-2010, 06:04 AM
I have to admit though, that parts of Plastic Beach are growing on me.

C DUB YA
03-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah, Think Tank is the hardest Blur record for me to like... BUT, it has one of my top 5 Blur songs on it.

WfHhP8cRV50

WhyTheLongFace
03-04-2010, 07:16 AM
It's amazing how Broken went from my least favorite to my favorite track in 3 days

C DUB YA
03-04-2010, 07:18 AM
It's amazing how Broken went from my least favorite to my favorite track in 3 days

right there with ya.

El.C.Dub
03-04-2010, 07:21 AM
I played Plastic Beach for a friend of mine who was on the fence about attending this year.
He bought his ticket that night.

amyzzz
03-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Can't wait to dance to all this on the polo fields.

WhyTheLongFace
03-04-2010, 07:37 AM
right there with ya.

I went to bed last night not even listening to Gorillaz. I was listening to Jonsi but in my dreams I just kept hearing "Broken... ahhh noo....Brokennnn"

and I woke up and have listened to it 8 times. I love this song.

shakermaker113
03-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Gorillaz was supposed to be a one-and-done type thing. Then Damon decided to make Demon Days, and claimed that would be their last.

I don't recall him ever claiming demon days would be their last. he may have said he has no plans, but that's a little different.

Damon will have to occupy his time with something else. He's shown a knack for finding no end of interesting projects to work on, and maybe eventually it'll get back to Blur. That's what I'd like to believe, even if it's not terribly likely.

he's got a new project with Flea and Tony Allen. he revealed that in an interview late last year, said their album would be done by the end of the year. who knows if it's finished or when we'll hear it.

WhyTheLongFace
03-04-2010, 08:05 AM
IDK why I havent asked this before buuuut

How was Gorillaz in 2006?

GnarVee
03-04-2010, 08:10 AM
he's got a new project with Flea and Tony Allen. he revealed that in an interview late last year, said their album would be done by the end of the year. who knows if it's finished or when we'll hear it.

interesting.....

Flea and Damon will both obviously be at the polo fields this year......and probably NOT next. who knows.....?

The more I think about it.....Flea needs to join the Gorillaz.....he just kinda belongs there....looks like one of em.

Noodle and Russell both gone.....will they reunite in the desert?

will Russell's demon come to posses him again?

I HOPE SO.

IF NOT......WHO THE FUCK IS PLAYING THE DRUMS & GUITAR?

FoxeyLady
03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
I thought I read somewhere Mick Jones and Paul Simonon would be playing with them for their live shows... anyone remember this?

GnarVee
03-04-2010, 08:24 AM
I thought I read somewhere Mick Jones and Paul Simonon would be playing with them for their live shows... anyone remember this?

still need a Drummer.

shotglass75
03-04-2010, 09:41 AM
another Stylo remix

Stylo (Louis La Roche Remix)
http://www.loudat.com/gorillaz-stylo-louis-la-roche-remix/

superfiction
03-04-2010, 09:44 AM
interesting.....

Flea and Damon will both obviously be at the polo fields this year......and probably NOT next. who knows.....?

The more I think about it.....Flea needs to join the Gorillaz.....he just kinda belongs there....looks like one of em.

Noodle and Russell both gone.....will they reunite in the desert?

will Russell's demon come to posses him again?

I HOPE SO.

IF NOT......WHO THE FUCK IS PLAYING THE DRUMS & GUITAR?

you took the question too literally.

russell has his own plastic beach ident so i assume that means he will be playing drums along with android noodle on guitar

FoxeyLady
03-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I told myself I wasn't gonna listen to Plastic Beach for a while because I don't want to beat it to death before Coachella, but fuck, I can't stop myself from putting it on...

GnarVee
03-04-2010, 10:30 AM

russell has his own plastic beach ident so i assume that means he will be playing drums along with android noodle on guitar

you think they'll have a typical 'band set' ....go on..play some songs...leave

or will they have a full on script with some sort of story line interludes attached?

I hope their next music video involves 2-D being rescued and returned to the fields.....maybe do a parody of that new Jonah Hill 'Get Him to The Greek!' film.

I can't wait to see this shit plays out!

GnarVee
03-04-2010, 10:31 AM

you think they'll have a typical 'band set' ....go on..play some songs...leave

or will they have a full on script with some sort of story line interludes attached?

I hope their next music video involves 2-D being rescued and returned to the fields.....maybe do a parody of that new Jonah Hill 'Get Him to The Greek!' film.

I can't wait to see how this shit plays out!

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 12:11 PM
This was just me being stoned this morning on my way to work but imagine if they had one of those giant screens that raises and lowers like NIN had for lights in the sky. The screen will lower over the band as they play and we see them as the gorillaz playing in real time. Know what I mean?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-04-2010, 12:17 PM
This was just me being stoned this morning on my way to work but imagine if they had one of those giant screens that raises and lowers like NIN had for lights in the sky. The screen will lower over the band as they play and we see them as the gorillaz playing in real time. Know what I mean?

i hope to god they can do this

Mr. Dylanja
03-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Don't get your hopes up, it's just Sally Stoner and his usual high expectations.

Gribbz
03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Thom Yorke will also doing Lou Reed's portion of "Some Kind Of Nature."

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Thom Yorke will also doing Lou Reed's portion of "Some Kind Of Nature."

I love Thom but i dont like this. Theres no way that Thom can nail Lou's dry delivery which is what really makes the song imo

Gribbz
03-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh, I wasn't being serious... I was just making light of unrealistic expectations. :)

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
i didnt say i was expecting that, it was just an idea GEEZ dale

also....im still waiting for melancholy hill to grow on me :-/

amyzzz
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't like that beginning refrain from Melancholy Hill. annoying. The rest of it is good though.

Gribbz
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I didn't say you were expecting anything. I've just read some ridiculous things in the past few days. I don't know what to tell ya about On Melancholy Hill. One of my favorites off the album.

I guess "Glitter Freeze" is growing on me. Still can't stand that relentless laser car alarm sound though.

psycobetabuckdown
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
If they can't get Snoop for the opener they gotta bring in Gil Scott-Heron.

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 12:37 PM
honestly, Melancholy hill is the first low point of the album for me

psycobetabuckdown
03-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Well you have the opposite tastes of everyone else on the board, not surprising. I'm glad you like Gorillaz though.

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
honestly, Melancholy hill is the first low point of the album for me

Really?????? That is one of the best songs of the album. top 3.

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 12:44 PM
It can still grow on me.

AHHHHHHRRRRGHHHHHHH Plastic Beach the song is amazing. Simply fucking amazing. I cant get it out of my head. it makes me feel so many things

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 12:47 PM
im going to literally melt when i hear it live

Mr. Dylanja
03-04-2010, 12:50 PM

I melt in your mouth, not in your hand.

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
that is SO dirrty :cat

Gribbz
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM

You think they'll play it if Mick Jones and Paul Simonon aren't there?

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
But they WILL be there. didnt i read somewhere that theyre gunna be part of the band

amyzzz
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
omg

Gribbz
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
But they WILL be there. didnt i read somewhere that theyre gunna be part of the band

Dunno. That'd be cool if they were there. I don't think Damon would play it if they weren't... doesn't seem like his style.

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
can someone please find the article that had Mick and Paul. I know im not crazy

stuporfly
03-04-2010, 01:04 PM
can someone please find the article that had Mick and Paul. I know im not crazy

It was here (http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/49960).

kreutz2112
03-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Empire Ants is such a good song. I've been listening to this album all day and I like it a lot, maybe as much or more as Demon Days, which I need to listen to again before I make my final decision.

GnarVee
03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
^

I seriously wake up to this song and fall right back asleep.

Turned me into a Little Dragon fan immeditiately.

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
It was here (http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/49960).

thanks sweetie :)

Damons vocals on To Binge make me swoon so badly

Gribbz
03-04-2010, 02:06 PM
That article says they will be at UK festivals. Hopefully they will be at Coachella.

BlackSwan
03-04-2010, 02:16 PM
That article says they will be at UK festivals. Hopefully they will be at Coachella.

Are you referring to a different article? He doesn't say anything about playing festivals, and specifically says they won't be at Glastonbury. Regarding the Clash boys, they will be there...

"The Clash's Mick Jones later told NME.COM that he and bandmate Paul Simonon would be involved in the band."

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 02:20 PM
ive listened to PB the song 18 times now...

Gribbz
03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Are you referring to a different article? He doesn't say anything about playing festivals, and specifically says they won't be at Glastonbury. Regarding the Clash boys, they will be there...

"The Clash's Mick Jones later told NME.COM that he and bandmate Paul Simonon would be involved in the band."

I meant gigs.

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 02:42 PM
DON'T WASTE TIME

amyzzz
03-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I can't wait to see Damon Albarn on the stage again. *sigh*

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 02:54 PM
You fuckers dont know what youre talking about saying Glitter Freeze isnt good. Every time I listen to it I feel like shooting lazers out of my hands while dodging explosions IN SPACE

rage patton
03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I am going to dance so fast to Glitter Freeze.

It will be nice because I am probably going to cry when I hear Empire Ants. That songs makes all the hair on my arms stand on ends and gives me shivers down my spine.

mattpach
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I fell in love with Glitter Freeze as soon as I heard it.

BlackSwan
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
ive listened to PB the song 18 times now...

Robotic Damon and the music are great, and Snoop's rhymes are nonsense, but still fun. I'm not sure why everyone is hating on it.

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Robotic Damon and the music are great, and Snoop's rhymes are nonsense, but still fun. I'm not sure why everyone is hating on it.

Im talking about the title track, doofus.

But I love Welcome to Plastic Beach. Its Snoop being Snoop, just even more laid back and Im sure that was all intentional. It completely fits with the vibe of the song and OMFG yes Robot Damon rocks my cock! Just Like That

For this live, I imagine snoop being on stage all gangster with Damon hidden somewhere onstage and when it gets to his part the stage will light up just enough for you to make him out but still somewhat shrouded. you know?

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
i hope to god they can do this

so its a kinda cool idea right?

frozen pilgrim
03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
after watching the stylo video in hd about fifty billion times, I'm hoping and praying that these 3d models of the band members are the centrepiece of whatever the visual presentation is. murdoc's face is EPIC.

also, randomness, doesn't belong in this thread (but would get buried elsewhere anyways), but I'm leaving in 2 minutes to go see Tinariwen!

DFrank
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I know what you mean by that shiver when you listen to Empire Ants. Definitely a fantastic song to fall asleep to. Or make babies to. Either or.

Oh, and this show gon' be crazy yo.

ErikFlyingV
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I wonder if Bobby "Are deese real gorillaz?" Womack will be at Coachella.

hendrixfan143
03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
fuck this is going to be good. I'm jsut going to buy plastic beach next week instead of listening to it again

Boourns
03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Empire ants is awesome

getbetter
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I have to get out of look at this thread now ,and focus on other bands playing at coachella .I already know I'm watching the full set.

humanoid
03-04-2010, 10:36 PM
You fuckers dont know what youre talking about saying Glitter Freeze isnt good. Every time I listen to it I feel like shooting lazers out of my hands while dodging explosions IN SPACE

that certainly does make it sound pretty fun...who doesn't like hand lasers... in space?

unknown
03-04-2010, 10:51 PM
I love Glitter Freeze!

you crack me up, Salah

seandigi
03-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Having my first listen of Plastic Beach, pretty much awesome so far.

superfiction
03-05-2010, 03:16 AM
I already know I'm watching the full set.

this is the only option. cant imagine it any other way

ShyGuy75
03-05-2010, 06:20 AM
somewhat underwhelmed on first listen. the snoop song was a highlight.

seems like a ton of sampling and a bit too knobby for my taste.

no chance this surpases the Gorillaz album for me.

C DUB YA
03-05-2010, 06:36 AM
This is my favorite Gorillaz record already... and I love the first 2.

Oddly enough Shyguy, the only song that I think doesn't work as well, is the Snoop song.

ShyGuy75
03-05-2010, 06:39 AM
i'm the white verzion of snoop dogg, so i wouldn't expect you to understand