PDA

View Full Version : The Gorillaz Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
without strummer? that would have just pissed me off.

I'm just saying, people aren't that excited because its not as if they are playing stuff from the Clash. It would be like Ringo and Paul joining another band and completely ignoring the beatles catalog. People wouldn't be as excited (and yes I compared the clash to the beatles).

Still-ill
04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
If actual Clash songs were performed then that would be different.

C'mon man.

theecat
04-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Black Swan, Thank you. Thank you very very much for compiling this collection of videos. I am actually starting a little project that I wonder if anyone would be willing to help me on. PM if interested. I was dead center about 50 yards from the front. Right where the barricade was in the center. I got several shots of the left screen and main screen several photos (meaning the frame of the shot is: from far left edge of left screen to far right edge center screen). However, My iphone died after El Manana. What I was hoping to do was change the album artwork on all the songs that played to these pictures. I've waited (like the other Gorillaz loyalists) 8-9 years for this. Just wanted to do something that would help me relive every moment every time the song plays.

Also, did anyone feel that Damon and company, with Hewlett were sometimes telling a story? I was completely engrossed with every single second of this show but sometimes I felt there was a story underneath it all. Or a couple stories being told.

Snoop Dogg- Boss underdog. Could also be the King Neptune.
We are Last living souls- therefore pay attention to your green world.
Melancholy Hill introduces us to... Noodle or some new character. The story told with the comic strips is awesome. Then the gorillaz are kids with guns leads into STYLO whom pull off a bank robbery of some sort (mob hit? bruce willis coming after them).

Glitter Freeze brings death and Murdoc to the Plastic Beach? Also, is the black freighter a transformation of the black camaro/GTO (I don't know my cars) from Stylo that fell into the water? Then we get a flashback as to why noodle is the way that she is. Clint Eastwood is heavily centered around graveyards and such (which is a lead in from Noodle almost dieing/ did die)

I know I am stretching a bit on some of this, but seeing it live... It just felt like it all sort of clicked into a story(ies). There were songs that were spliced in as kind of a "break" from the story that didn't have connection (ie Empire Ants).

I loved it. It was one of the best concerts of my life, If not the very best. This weekend was one of the best of my life. Thank you Gorillaz.

ErikFlyingV
04-23-2010, 04:05 PM
^Glad to see more enthusiasm for Gorillaz on here.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-23-2010, 04:49 PM
C'mon man.

Yeah, I'm not explaning myself right.

bballarl
04-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Rewatching the set is re-illustrating how awesome Gorillaz were.

shakermaker113
04-23-2010, 06:16 PM
At least Damon is happy about it. Hopefully, that means he wants to do more live stuff in the US.

thank you.

rage patton
04-23-2010, 06:18 PM
At least Damon is happy about it. Hopefully, that means he wants to do more live stuff in the US.

Why didn't Damon at least say "Good bye" or "Thank you Coachella" to the crowd then?

JustSteve
04-23-2010, 06:25 PM
is it really that big a deal?

and he did wave and smile as he walked off.

bballarl
04-23-2010, 06:31 PM
is it really that big a deal?

and he did wave and smile as he walked off.

Yeah, I mean, I suppose he was just keeping with the whole character of the band too...the idea that this is just a band of hired guns put together by Murdoc or whatever.

rage patton
04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Damon was kind of half-assed breaking character. If we staying in character, he would have been obscured by the light, like on the Demon Days Live DVD. Instead, he chose to come out to the front of the stage and act as a frontman. Because of this, I expected him to act as a frontman and adress the crowd, at the very least as he is leaving.

"Cloud of Unknowing" sounded beautiful live and I found it to be a very powerful performance, but ending with that song and then just walking off the stage with a wave confused me and left my feeling unsatisfied. It left me feeling as if there was no closure to the set. I expected one more song, but then the house lights turned on and music started playing. I didn't know how to react. If he had at least said something, perhaps I wouldn't have expected more and it would have brought the closure to the set that I so badly wanted.

I thought the band sounded fantastic and I loved seeing Mick and Paul jam together. Especially on "O Green World," but the way Damon ended the set disapointed me.

bballarl
04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't see how him acting as a frontman was breaking character or breaking with the story behind this live band. He was the de facto frontman for this band that Murdoc put together to play these songs, so that would allow him to do the frontman thing.

Regardless of the character stuff, I like it when bands just play music rather than bantering and shit. Sure, a thank you would have been nice, but you could feel his appreciation, and he and the rest of the band surely felt ours.

braundiggity
04-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Damon was kind of half-assed breaking character. If we staying in character, he would have been obscured by the light, like on the Demon Days Live DVD. Instead, he chose to come out to the front of the stage and act as a frontman. Because of this, I expected him to act as a frontman and adress the crowd, at the very least as he is leaving.

"Cloud of Unknowing" sounded beautiful live and I found it to be a very powerful performance, but ending with that song and then just walking off the stage with a wave confused me and left my feeling unsatisfied. It left me feeling as if there was no closure to the set. I expected one more song, but then the house lights turned on and music started playing. I didn't know how to react. If he had at least said something, perhaps I wouldn't have expected more and it would have brought the closure to the set that I so badly wanted.

I thought the band sounded fantastic and I loved seeing Mick and Paul jam together. Especially on "O Green World," but the way Damon ended the set disapointed me.

I agree. BUT. Can we leave the bitching to the threads dedicated to bitching/arguing about the performance? I feel like this point has been argued over time and time again over there, and I'd been enjoying this thread as a more pure Gorillaz thread.

In other Gorillaz news, Jason Bentley interviewed Damon and Jamie today (along with a performance) for broadcast on KCRW....in May. Maybe that's normal, but I thought it odd that they'd hold the interview that long, especially since it's right after Coachella (at least a week, probably 2-3 weeks). Perhaps they want to use the interview to publicize a tour/b-sides/remix album? Perhaps that's wishful thinking.

rage patton
04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I didn't mind Damon not talking throughout the set. Didn't mind one bit. However, "Cloud of Unknowing" left the set hanging in a very somber mood. Like I said, it felt to me as if the set wasn't actually finished. Damon not saying goodbye or thank you just enhanced that feeling for me. When the lights turned on, I felt as if the set wasn't over and like I was missing something in the performance. If he had said some parting comments, I think that would have brought closure to the set. Instead, it was left in an awkward position.

DFrank
04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Yep. I mean, even 2manyDjs had a confetti explosion to wrap it up. Give us SOMETHING!

shakermaker113
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
When the lights turned on, I felt as if the set wasn't over and like I was missing something in the performance. If he had said some parting comments, I think that would have brought closure to the set. Instead, it was left in an awkward position.

yeah... I couldn't tell if it had ended either. I remember everyone was still standing there waiting for more.

gaypalmsprings
04-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I just watched them on a rerun of last night's Colbert show, & they were meh.

amyzzz
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
meh-zmerizing!

DFrank
04-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I thought they did well, at least Womack did better on Colbert.

pezGato
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
in my opinion, based off rage pattons experience, I think Clint Eastwood last, followed by the encore, with cloud of unknowing --> feel good Inc wouldve been a better closure

BlackSwan
04-24-2010, 06:28 AM
I understand your feeling, rage, but Damon likes to close shows with a slow song. For example, the Demon Days shows ended with "Hong Kong", so it shouldn't have been a huge surprise.

Gribbz
04-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I didn't mind Damon not talking throughout the set. Didn't mind one bit. However, "Cloud of Unknowing" left the set hanging in a very somber mood. Like I said, it felt to me as if the set wasn't actually finished. Damon not saying goodbye or thank you just enhanced that feeling for me. When the lights turned on, I felt as if the set wasn't over and like I was missing something in the performance. If he had said some parting comments, I think that would have brought closure to the set. Instead, it was left in an awkward position.

Pretty sure that was intentional.

sbessiso
04-24-2010, 08:05 AM
i really hope kano and bashy are at roskilde

CellarOwl
04-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Why didn't Damon at least say "Good bye" or "Thank you Coachella" to the crowd then?

Maybe his parents didn't teach him any manners as a kid, maybe he didn't take your feelings into consideration because he's an English wanker, maybe it didn't really matter why he didn't say anything.

amyzzz
04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Damon's not speaking to the crowd didn't really bother me at all, but I was hoping for another encore.

JustSteve
04-24-2010, 10:01 AM
i think they walked off at 11:56pm, so there really wasn't any time left. we know how strict they are on sunday nights with that curfew.

suprefan
04-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it was just before midnight, my friends were thinking they would do more. I told they there was no time. After Feel Good Inc I said we should leave to beat a little of the crowds, but they insisted.

rage patton
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I looked at my cell phone. It was 11:52. They would have had time to play at least one more song.

I understand your feeling, rage, but Damon likes to close shows with a slow song. For example, the Demon Days shows ended with "Hong Kong", so it shouldn't have been a huge surprise.

I wasn't looking for an upbeat song to close the festival. Hell, if I would have had my choice... I would have ended it with "Don't Get Lost In Heaven" or "Demon Days."

And even if the ending was intentional... I don't like where the set was left hanging. It didn't feel like an ending to me. It felt like the beginning of what could have been an amazing ending and I think that is what disapoints me the most.

shermanoaksyo
04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Come to think of it, "every planet we reach is dead" would have been a nice one-two punch with Cloud of Unknowing and the "war machines being dumped into the ocean" footage

JustSteve
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
one thing i forgot to mention. mic's were brought out and placed in front of the side screens, facing out towards the crowd. possible live recording in the works from gorillaz?

pezGato
04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Come to think of it, "every planet we reach is dead" would have been a nice one-two punch with Cloud of Unknowing and the "war machines being dumped into the ocean" footage

every planet would've been ace any where in the set. definitely an epic song, let alone one to close with

shakermaker113
04-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I wasn't looking for an upbeat song to close the festival. Hell, if I would have had my choice... I would have ended it with "Don't Get Lost In Heaven" or "Demon Days."

aaaah with a gospel choir. that was so beautiful in the demon days show.

I don't know if ike turner's death would make every planet more or less likely.

electrocute
04-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Wow, now I'm sad they didn't close with either "Don't get lost in heaven" or "Every Planet..." :\ I was totally hoping they'd play one mooore since Cloud of Unknowing really doesn't seem like... the song to END COACHELLA 2010.

I enjoyed their appearance on Colbert a lot, especially now that I was expecting the real band members. Bobby did pretty good this time around and it's overall a cool performance imo. Haha, I like the Clashguys' captain hats.

brando4n82
04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
sounds like all of you guys bitching about the gorillaz set, were way too sober and reading way too much into their set. Shame on all of you.

BlackSwan
04-27-2010, 01:47 PM
REJOICE!!!

"We're coming back, going to play all around America, if they want us, of course,"

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1637867/20100427/gorillaz.jhtml

But all of you assholes who just want to see holograms will be disappointed. Just the band.. no fancy lights... they're gonna "keep it simple." Yay!

JustSteve
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
be there with bells on

BlackSwan
04-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I really hoped this was coming, but to hear him say it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

higgybaby23
04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
*fingers crossed for an AZ gig*.....not holding my breath though....

JustSteve
04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
REJOICE!!!

"We're coming back, going to play all around America, if they want us, of course,"

But all of you assholes who just want to see holograms will be disappointed. Just the band.. no fancy lights... they're gonna "keep it simple." Yay!

for those to lazy to click...holograms are not feasible for any live performance it seems:

"they won't be bringing the holograms with them. It seems they've officially closed that chapter of the band's history ... and they've got Madonna, with whom they "performed" at the 48th annual Grammy Awards in 2006, to thank for that.

"You can't, at this point, do holograms. ... This is what happened at the Grammys. We opened the Grammys on television it looked great but we had an invisible film pulled across our stage, and you project onto that, and put smoke behind it it's a Victorian technology, actually," Albarn told MTV News. "So Madonna manages to come and sort of gate-crash our idea, as people like Madonna do, because that's why they're so deep. ... She gate-crashed our idea, so we couldn't play with any bass or any sound, because it would vibrate [the film] so it was really quiet."

BlackSwan
04-27-2010, 01:56 PM
In the video, Jamie also mentions that Damon tried to say "Hi" to Madonna and got jumped by her security guards.

PrettyRagdoll
04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow Madonna way to ruin things.

That being said, I STILL think I may want to catch one of those tour dates

TommyboyUNM
04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I still want to know who the fuck was harping on them not having holograms at Coachella. Maybe two people out of everyone who was underwhelmed by the show. Get new talking points.

humanoid
04-27-2010, 02:32 PM
REJOICE!!!

See, I was going to come into here and admit that Plastic Beach is growing on me ever so slightly...but now I don't feel like it

for the record, a lack of holograms had nothing to do with my opinion of the Coachella set.....but who wouldn't want to see some holograms? that sounds kinda awesome to me...too bad it won't happen!

BlackSwan
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I still want to know who the fuck was harping on them not having holograms at Coachella. Maybe two people out of everyone who was underwhelmed by the show. Get new talking points.

No, you don't... You just want to be a bitch. We all know you don't like Gorillaz and didn't like their set. I don't care.

See, I was going to come into here and admit that Plastic Beach is growing on me ever so slightly...but now I don't feel like it

for the record, a lack of holograms had nothing to do with my opinion of the Coachella set.....but who wouldn't want to see some holograms? that sounds kinda awesome to me...too bad it won't happen!

Don't care here either. I wasn't specifically addressing either of you.

humanoid
04-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I know that Swan...not so serious

BlackSwan
04-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Cartoons? Hip-hop-pop? Obviously, super serious.

humanoid
04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Cartoons? Hip-hop-pop? Obviously, super serious.

I was referencing the offense you seem to take over this...I was joking about wanting to see some holograms.

For realz seriousness though, I can enjoy parts of Plastic Beach now

BlackSwan
04-27-2010, 02:47 PM
I was referencing the offense you seem to take over this...I was joking about wanting to see some holograms.

Oh, it's just annoying for me because I told everyone multiple times not to expect holograms, visual trickery, or a spectacle way before Coachella, and then after their set everyone was like, "WTF? Where are the mind-blowing visuals?" Damon taking this band to the stage is huge for people who are fans of his work and Gorillaz, and for everyone who was just interested in the concept, that time has passed. It would great to see him trying to incorporate some 3D technology or something like that, but it's obviously not going to happen.

brando4n82
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
They need to play more self titled material! I cant wait to see other setlists to see if they mix things up

TommyboyUNM
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
"But the visuals they did have were pretty cheesy and generic."

"You just needed to be there for the music."

"That's fine, but it didn't feel like a headlining show. Like Muse and Jay-Z."

"I was bored at Muse."

"Fair enough, but it was still a good show for non-fans. Plus, nothing else was going on so that was disappointing."

"That's not the fault of Gorillaz."

"Maybe not, but you'd like there to be more than the song's music video playing and the name of the band/song flashed on a screen when you have to watch the show from the back."

"It sounded and looked great from up close."

"Not everyone can be up close."

"Volcano."

"Fuck you, Damon Alborn."

Gribbz
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
REJOICE!!!

I highly doubt they'll play Arizona... so I hope their LA date is on a weekend.

FoxeyLady
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Ohhh shit. I'm going to start saving right now. I really hope they do a theater of some sort when they come to LA.

sbessiso
04-27-2010, 04:24 PM
so i wonder what songs they'll "play" with the guests' part just on tape

Gribbz
04-27-2010, 04:26 PM
so i wonder what songs they'll "play" with the guests' part just on tape

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DJArcLight/haters-gonna-hate.gif

BlackSwan
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd imagine it will be a pretty similar set list as the rehearsal shows, and they'll bring whatever guests want to come along for the ride. I'd imagine De La Soul and Little Dragon are a lock. "19-2000" would be a great addition, but very unlikely.

sbessiso
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey just sayin'...

Gribbz
04-27-2010, 04:29 PM
I REALLY don't want to rehash this but HBA, Kano, Bashy, Mos Def etc. couldn't make it for reasons we're all aware of. No excuse for Snoop Dogg.

Mr. Dylanja
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Is that a FACT for Mos Def? Last I checked he lived in Brooklyn, no?

unknown
04-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Something else to set money aside for.

Blinken
04-27-2010, 04:41 PM
He was doing some shows in Europe at the time D.

Mr. Dylanja
04-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Fuckin' Wanker.

Hannahrain
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Dylan has such respect for wankers that he's bestowed upon them the honor of proper nounship.

Mr. Dylanja
04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm bothered, your invalid pseudo-humorous jab got me right on the chin. I feel dumb. I don't understand your obvious enjoyment.

Hannahrain
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
You will never be a Heather with that attitude.

DFrank
04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
The only problem for me is that almost every song has an accompanying artist, and it bites a little bit when the vocals are being tracked.
I do see more possibilities for shows in L.A (i.e snoop dogg who must come out at least once)...I'll definitely grab a ticket when they go on sale.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
well, maybe now I'll get a second chance to see them in a better setting.

shakermaker113
04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
yes yes yes. start saving.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
though, honestly if Yukimi/Little Dragon isn't signed on I might have to thing about it.
What kind of venues would we taking here? Fox Theater?

PrettyRagdoll
04-27-2010, 05:40 PM

lol, saving that

Wheres the beef?
04-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I REALLY don't want to rehash this but HBA, Kano, Bashy, Mos Def etc. couldn't make it for reasons we're all aware of. No excuse for Snoop Dogg.

He's snoop dogg. That should be excuse enough.

JustSteve
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
didn't he have a show in new york the following night? maybe didn't want to deal with rushing around like that.

suprefan
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Yep, NY the next night.

Still-ill
04-27-2010, 06:05 PM
What is that from? It looks familiar.

Gribbz
04-27-2010, 06:30 PM
What is that from? It looks familiar.

I think someone posted it on the boards a while back.

amyzzz
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I'll be saving up money for this. I hope we get Mos Def next time.

digitaldragon03
04-27-2010, 08:08 PM
I know this is a dick thought for most of you, but i hope this doesnt happen for a while. EDC, Hard Summer, Chemical Brothers, Muse...Im drained until at least winter.

JustSteve
04-27-2010, 08:09 PM
my guess is it would be a fall tour.

indietron
04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Holy crap this is great news!! But please please please don't play the greek. Please.

Gribbz
04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Red Rocks would be amazing.

Sushov23
04-28-2010, 12:01 AM
i'm on my 3rd listen and already i'm finding songs I will for sure skip. I agree with whoever is saying people won't be listening to this album a year from now, or whatever they are saying.

So I'd like to admit my fuck up. I love this album now, top 10 of the year for sure. I'm not sure if I'll be listening to this in a few years, but I like to believe with how much I enjoy some of these songs, I will be listening to this down the line. Also the performance was fucking awesome at Coachella, I can't wait for this fall tour. EMPIRE ANTS!!!!!

sin213
04-28-2010, 07:33 AM
I know this is a dick thought for most of you, but i hope this doesnt happen for a while. EDC, Hard Summer, Chemical Brothers, Muse...Im drained until at least winter.

nah, i'm thinkin the same thing...a tour that starts after sept would be perfect.

sin213
04-28-2010, 07:51 AM
the gorillaz london shows are tormorrow night and the next night...i was really hoping there would be news on their site about the live feed being from those shows. still no info on the live feed as of yet, though. :(

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I got this email earlier...

Gorillaz make a triumphant return from the mayhem and brilliance that was Coachella to play Camden's Roundhouse this Thursday 29th and Friday 30th. If you're lucky enough to have a ticket you're guaranteed a great show! But if not, DON'T FEAR!! Gorillaz will be bringing you exclusive highlights of Friday's show! You'll be able to watch live performances of tracks from 'Plastic Beach' streamed live at http://gorillaz.com and the Gorillaz Facebook Page the stream will start at 10pm BST / 9pm GMT/ 5pm EST (New York).

Listen up, Landlubbers,

After the debacle in the desert, I'm really looking forward to the colossus in Camden!!! Coachella was a washout due to the interfering efforts of US Immigration, but no-one can stop me getting to the Roundhouse for these gigs!! And this time we'll be playing with a full deck: we've got The Mos Def, The Hypnotic Brass, Shaun Ryder, Mark. E Smith...the works...Bobby Womack, Bashy & Kano, Little Dragon, The Syrian Orchestra...Gruff from the Super Furry Animals, Bootie Brown...De La Soul...Una Stubbs. This will be the concert to end them all! Best of all, it's being streamed LIVE, worldwide, on our very own Gorillaz.com! Sometimes I just have to touch myself. I'm TOO GOOD!

Murdoc

JustSteve
04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
oh what could have been...:nono

i still thoroughly enjoyed it, though

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Stylo and White Flag on Jools with all the guests...

BgCQpYYaF68

lTULswWTvwI

SO. MUCH. BETTER. Than Coachella.

sin213
04-28-2010, 08:12 AM
wow...that's cool swan. i wonder why i haven't gotten that email yet.

are you a gclub member? is this only for the club?

i have the plastic beach "experience edition" cd and had a code to log in and get the screensavers and wallpapers and such...i thought the live stream was available to that group as well...but no news as of yet. just checked email...

sbessiso
04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
lTULswWTvwI

O
M
G

YES

I just came everywhere. and is it just me or are kano and bashy kind of hot?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM

BgCQpYYaF68

lTULswWTvwI

Wasn't Little Dragon there too? That's was they said on Twitter.

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Wasn't Little Dragon there too? That's was they said on Twitter.

What? Why would Little Dragon be there if they didn't do either of the songs with Little Dragon on the show?

sbessiso
04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
BECAUSE TWITTER SAID SO

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
What? Why would Little Dragon be there if they didn't do either of the songs with Little Dragon on the show?

I thought that was weird too.

my computer is jacked and its not letting me link the tweet but here, check april 27th
https://twitter.com/twittledragon

EDIT: Looking @ that now, maybe they were just promoting it? Yeah, I'm retarted.

unknown
04-28-2010, 09:22 AM
I love Mos Def. Fucking volcano.

amyzzz
04-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Next show I see better fucking have Mos Def.

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Having Bobby and Mos Def there to ad lib at the show takes the performance to a whole different level. I'm jealous to all the people who get to see these Roadhouse shows.

rage patton
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Holy shit. Stylo sounded fucking fantastic. Damon's fist pumps when Bobby NAILS the first verse was awesome. And BS is right, Mos and Bobby's ad libbing does take the song to a whole different level.

White Flag sounded great as well.

psycobetabuckdown
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
That was awesome, both songs. That's what we missed.

This thread reminded me I had a dream last night that Snoop Dogg showed up to Coachella to perform with Jay-Z, but still skipped Gorillaz.

getbetter
04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I like how Damon falls off his bench at the end.

god damn that was such a great performance. This assures me that i need to see gorillaz again.

Gribbz
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I just now realized that the rest of Little Dragon was on stage during "To Binge" and "Empire Ants." Whoops. They were all tucked away in the corner.

3imaginaryboys
04-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I can't wait to see them again, goddamn.

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
T-65mP3pt84

rage patton
04-28-2010, 02:41 PM
AWESOME find man. Snoop not being there didn't even bother me. I loved Snoop's video.

PrettyRagdoll
04-28-2010, 03:45 PM
AWESOME find man. Snoop not being there didn't even bother me. I loved Snoop's video.

Same, and to a degree that video FELT like he was there. I mean a lot of times when he would stare into the camera it almost seemed like he was looking directly at the crowd

Kid B
04-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Goddamn Stylo sounds AMAZING.

FoxeyLady
04-28-2010, 04:19 PM
HA! Snoop's english accent isn't half bad.

shakermaker113
04-28-2010, 06:08 PM

I loved it too.

DFrank
04-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Same, and to a degree that video FELT like he was there. I mean a lot of times when he would stare into the camera it almost seemed like he was looking directly at the crowd

Haha yes the video was a good make-up for him not being there in person. I did like when he turned the spyglass to the audience.

Geno_g
04-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I loved his expressions on the video, it made it seem like he was there...

I need more Gorillaz...

BlackSwan
04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I just watched this again, and it truly is the best performance of Stylo... ever.

BgCQpYYaF68

boarderwoozel3
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Gorillaz London Show to Be Streamed Live (http://www.thespacelab.tv/spaceLAB/2010/04April/MusicNews-43-Gorillaz.htm)

Gorillaz will stream their performance in London this Friday at the Roundhouse in London. The show starts at 9pm GMT, which means a Friday afternoon stream for U.S. Fans.

Check out who's going to be performing at the giant show, it's a who's who of Gorillaz partners in crime: Mos Def, The Hypnotic Brass, Shaun Ryder, Mark. E Smith, Bobby Womack, Bashy & Kano, Little Dragon, The Syrian Orchestra, Gruff from the Super Furry Animals, Bootie Brown, De La Soul and more.

The stream will be available at Gorillaz.com and the Gorillaz Facebook page. The show is to hype the recent Gorillaz release Plastic Beach, which came out earlier this year.

Damon Alburn told The Guardian that it's the most pop Gorillaz record he's ever made, meaning it combines pop sensibility and central meloncholy of a ready-made, plastic package.

shakermaker113
04-29-2010, 06:39 AM
shit, I've got to download that jools holland episode before the torrents disappear. I spaced on downloading the episode with the monkey performances and now nobody will seed it.

shakermaker113
04-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Gorillaz London Show to Be Streamed Live (http://www.thespacelab.tv/spaceLAB/2010/04April/MusicNews-43-Gorillaz.htm)

The stream will be available all over the internet after fans rip it from Gorillaz.com and the Gorillaz Facebook page. The show is to hype the recent Gorillaz release Plastic Beach, which came out earlier this year.

fixed.

sin213
04-29-2010, 07:28 AM
i hope they broadcast the whole show...but i'm thinking not.

this is from their facebook page in regards to the experience edition owners:

Experience Edition Owners:

Lastly and for all those of you who bought the Experience Edition of Plastic Beach, we will be uploading 4 exclusive tracks from the Roundhouse dates for your viewing pleasure. Simply login to your Plastic Beach Experience account and watch from the 5th May.

it sounds like they are only broadcasting specific tracks...

shakermaker113
04-29-2010, 07:31 AM
i hope they broadcast the whole show...but i'm thinking not.

this is from their facebook page in regards to the experience edition owners:

it sounds like they are only broadcasting specific tracks...

I was under the impression that they will be webcasting the entire show, then experience edition owners will have access to stream (or download??) a few select videos after the event itself.

on a different note, this (http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/50888) is quite interesting:

"I recorded an awful lot of music for this record, about 80 pieces of music in total," he explained. "So, theoretically there is a part two and part three of 'Plastic Beach' if we ever felt motivated to spend another few years finishing it."

sin213
04-29-2010, 07:36 AM
yeah, i'm not too sure what all they are planning to do.

WATCH THE LIVE STREAM:

Gorillaz make a triumphant return from the mayhem and brilliance that was Coachella to play Camden's Roundhouse this Thursday 29th and Friday 30th. If you're lucky enough to have a ticket you're guaranteed a great show! But if not, DON'T FEAR!! Gorillaz will be bringing you exclusive highlights of Friday's show! You'll be able to watch live performances of tracks from 'Plastic Beach' streamed live at http://gorillaz.com (http://gorillaz.com/) and the Gorillaz Facebook Page the stream will start at 10pm BST / 9pm GMT/ 5pm EST (New York).

one, its only the fri show...and to me it sounds like they are bringing us "highlights" and we can watch "tracks" from the show...

i'm really, really, really hating London right now....those limey bastards get the first two "true" gorillaz shows with all the guests and full set list, instead of a festival with barely any guests.

sbessiso
04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
I just watched this again, and it truly is the best performance of Stylo... ever.

Yeah I had to watch it again too. When Bobby comes in, man it just gives me straight up goosebumps

BlackSwan
04-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I also didn't notice Damon fall of the bench the first time. You can tell that he thought it was a great performance too.

GnarVee
04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
2pm tomorrow for us on the westcoast?

correct me if Im wrong.

boarderwoozel3
04-29-2010, 09:39 AM
on a different note, this (http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/50888) is quite interesting:

"I recorded an awful lot of music for this record, about 80 pieces of music in total," he explained. "So, theoretically there is a part two and part three of 'Plastic Beach' if we ever felt motivated to spend another few years finishing it."

P-sides?

amyzzz
04-29-2010, 10:43 AM
I think I'm going to make a shrine to Damon Albarn in my bathroom.

rage patton
04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
P-sides?

I would hope they call them the "Beach-Sides."

psycobetabuckdown
04-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Sounds more to me like full albums than P-Sides

shakermaker113
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
yeah g-sides and d-sides were collections of b-sides and remixes that for the most part had been released backing up the singles. this time around they don't seem to be putting out any non-digital singles. who knows what will happen to those songs.

shakermaker113
04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
hm. no torrents of the jools holland episode yet. maybe next week.

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Setlist/Notes for last night's show from unofficial:

Setlist:- Orchestral Intro / Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach / Last Living Souls / O Green World / On Melancholy Hill / Kids With Guns / Stylo / Rhinestone Eyes / Broken / Empire Ants / Dirty Harry / White Flag / Superfast Jellyfish / DARE / Glitter Freeze / El Manana / Cloud Of Unknowing // Sweepstakes / To Binge / Feel Good Inc / Clint Eastwood

* The guest lineup was the same as Coachella except Mos Def, Kano, Bashy, Rosie Wilson and Shaun Ryder appeared as well.
* White Flag had an extended intro played just by The Syrian National Orchestra for Arabic Music, which was almost a standalone song
* Superfast Jellyfish had new visuals, a fast-cutting set of stills, mostly of closeups of fast food related images, with some occasional jellyfish images
* Murdoc appeared on the screen in the same way as Coachella (telling someone in the audience he could only get three of something, and hoping that would be okay)
* Sweepstakes had a fairground intro and outro, with Damon playing on piano and Mos freestyling like a ringmaster / fairground game operator
* Before Feel Good Inc, a short 3d animated clip of the Noodle Droid was shown, which was the finished version of the storyboard that can be seen on the 'Making Of' Plastic Beach DVD - i.e. the inner workings of the android's face were shown then the outer human face swung over it, closing the head.

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Sounds like it was way better than Coachella.

ShyGuy75
04-30-2010, 07:31 AM
so glad they used the polo grounds as their warm up

shakermaker113
04-30-2010, 07:31 AM
no hypnotic brass?

I do like the re-ordered setlist.

sin213
04-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Setlist:- Orchestral Intro / Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach / Last Living Souls / O Green World / On Melancholy Hill / Kids With Guns / Stylo / Rhinestone Eyes / Broken / Empire Ants / Dirty Harry / White Flag / Superfast Jellyfish / DARE / Glitter Freeze / El Manana / Cloud Of Unknowing // Sweepstakes / To Binge / Feel Good Inc / Clint Eastwood

* The guest lineup was the same as Coachella except Mos Def, Kano, Bashy, Rosie Wilson and Shaun Ryder appeared as well.
* White Flag had an extended intro played just by The Syrian National Orchestra for Arabic Music, which was almost a standalone song
* Superfast Jellyfish had new visuals, a fast-cutting set of stills, mostly of closeups of fast food related images, with some occasional jellyfish images
* Murdoc appeared on the screen in the same way as Coachella (telling someone in the audience he could only get three of something, and hoping that would be okay)
* Sweepstakes had a fairground intro and outro, with Damon playing on piano and Mos freestyling like a ringmaster / fairground game operator
* Before Feel Good Inc, a short 3d animated clip of the Noodle Droid was shown, which was the finished version of the storyboard that can be seen on the 'Making Of' Plastic Beach DVD - i.e. the inner workings of the android's face were shown then the outer human face swung over it, closing the head.

MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

we would have gotten sweepstakes if mos had been able to show up. damn damn damn damn damn damn damn

unknown
04-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Damn. Sweepstakes with Mos Def AND Hypnotic Brass Ensemble would have been fucking ace. Stupid fucking volcano.

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 11:40 AM

jesus fucking christ....i need to buy my roskilde ticket NOW

sin213
04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
anyone going to be off work to be able to watch the stream? or able to watch at work?

amyzzz
04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
That's the set list we should've had. Next time, maybe.

amyzzz
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
And help me out: when is it streaming and what is the link?

sin213
04-30-2010, 12:02 PM
it should be 2pm AZ (5pm NY time) and its on their site: gorillaz.com or their facebook.

indietron
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Wait did it stream last night or just tonight?

sin213
04-30-2010, 12:12 PM
just tonight, though i think it'll be available for streaming for 48 hours after the show, according to mtv.

indietron
04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
That would be nice, seeing as the stream is probably gonna suck while they are actually performing

amyzzz
04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Ok, I'm on the gorillaz facebook page and I'm not sure what to click on to get the stream. :/ The gorillaz normal site is blocked from my work, so this better be on facebook. ack/

edit: think I found it.

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
The sound just cut out! NO!

amyzzz
04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Meh, I don't think it works. :( damnit.

boarderwoozel3
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Sweet. Tuned in just as the into was winding down. This is great.

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Killing it.

FoxeyLady
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble were sorely missed at Coachella. This is awesome. I just wish it would stop buffering... i guess that's just what streaming webcasts do :(

WhyTheLongFace
04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Not watching but jealous of all the additions to their live show

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
WISH. I. WAS. THERE. AHH!

amyzzz
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't want to watch this if it's just gonna depress me.

boarderwoozel3
04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Definitely worth watching. It's very good.

Can't wait for "Kids With Guns."

ErikFlyingV
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Wow, Sweepstakes was amazing.

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Bobby isn't reading the lyrics to Cloud of Unknowing this time and he sounds spot on.

minogueCOMMAk
04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Cloud of Unknowing was extremely moving.

ErikFlyingV
04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Is that how the show ended tonight?

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I think they might have just been streaming the tracks from Plastic Beach.

indietron
04-30-2010, 02:00 PM
So they only streamed Plastic Beach songs? Interesting.

Hypnotic Brass ensemble was great. Mos def was absolutely incredible though. Man I wish we could've gotten sweepstakes!

minogueCOMMAk
04-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Restarting. Orchestral Intro? What?

FoxeyLady
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
It's the replay. That's why it said "STAY TUNED FOR REPLAY''

They only streamed the songs from Plastic Beach.

minogueCOMMAk
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
It's the replay. That's why it said "STAY TUNED FOR REPLAY''

They only streamed the songs from Plastic Beach.

Oh, sorry. I see replay in the top corner. I am mutli-tasking too much.

boarderwoozel3
04-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Looping now. Oh well, that was really good.

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Holy crap, they better do this exact show in the US. I will fly anywhere for it.

minogueCOMMAk
04-30-2010, 02:04 PM
The guests were fantastic. It was a shame that it couldn't have been like this at Coachella. I am not putting down their performance there. It's just that this is really incredible.

boarderwoozel3
04-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Volcanos blow.

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree, this was what the Coachella performance was supposed to be.

minogueCOMMAk
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Volcanos blow.

PUN. PUN. PUN.

FoxeyLady
04-30-2010, 02:10 PM
It would have been cool they had streamed some more songs, oh well. Ahhh I wish we had those extra guests!

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
They're leaving us in suspense for when the do this in the US!

FoxeyLady
04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I hope they can get Snoop for their LA show at least.

minogueCOMMAk
04-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I will be seeing them in the US if I can travel to a show. I really want to see THIS live.

Geno_g
04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
This is great...

sin213
04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
the replay is much better. lot of people must have gotten off the stream, cause it hasn't hicuuped in a while and i actually am getting the high res feed. for a while there, all they were giving out was low...it looked horrible.

this live show is awesome though. and sweepstakes was f'n amazing. stupid volcano.

i'm with you swan, i'll fly anywhere to see this live. and if they only do a few cities with multiple dates, i'll be at them all.

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I'd much rather they do multiple dates in a couple cities with this whole show than do a big tour without all the guests.

amyzzz
04-30-2010, 02:42 PM
ugh, I have to see this! I can't believe I just tried to explain to my 7 year old how to get to gorillaz.com so she can watch this before me. (I doubt she'll get there, but you never know).

sin213
04-30-2010, 02:54 PM
and i hope i'm at the show that bobby womack finally nails BOTH of his songs in the SAME night.

he nails stylo on this feed, but cloud of unknowing he misses some cues and starts early on others. it still sounds good, but i know there will be a night where he totally nails both and it'll be fuckin amazing.

Gribbz
04-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Glad they're doing a US tour.

minogueCOMMAk
04-30-2010, 02:58 PM
and i hope i'm at the show that bobby womack finally nails BOTH of his songs in the SAME night.

he nails stylo on this feed, but cloud of unknowing he misses some cues and starts early on others. it still sounds good, but i know there will be a night where he totally nails both and it'll be fuckin amazing.

I disagree. I actually teared up during this Cloud of Unknowing. The performance at Coachella felt lackluster to me.

sin213
04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
dont get me wrong...it was still a good performance. but he was way off timing for many of the verses.

and anyone else notice how far out of tune the guitar was at the beginning of Stylo? waaaaay off....

BlackSwan
04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs584.snc3/30802_395365067995_6002137995_3899526_2344236_n.jp g

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs584.snc3/30802_395365072995_6002137995_3899527_4068080_n.jp g

getbetter
04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
I want a shirt like damons

amyzzz
04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
I have a shirt like Damon's. It's a Franz Ferdinand shirt though.

suprefan
04-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Replay is on again, so who recorded it?

rage patton
04-30-2010, 03:41 PM
WOW. Wowowowowowowowow.

It sounds like the roundhouse show was everything Coachella could have been. Fucking Sweepstakes with the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and Mos!? Fuck!

I need to see them when they come back to NA.

ghornett
04-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Replay is on again, so who recorded it?

THIS

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
this thread is tiring me

boarderwoozel3
04-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Sweepstakes was, in fact, the shit!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs584.snc3/30802_395365067995_6002137995_3899526_2344236_n.jp g

The Chemical Brothers are playing two shows in this venue at the end May. Wantwantwantwantwant! Great looking space.

shakermaker113
04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Holy crap, they better do this exact show in the US. I will fly anywhere for it.

same. I would even take off time from work for it, which I really cannot afford.

BlackSwan
05-01-2010, 11:22 AM
More Jools performances:

k8poYH_QNWQ

6_shzewopA0

_SZMWMqUkAc

BlackSwan
05-01-2010, 11:30 AM
DARE:

ka1DazHl1Wk

Kids With Guns:

0tQKzt4Xq5Q

shakermaker113
05-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I wonder why they don't get neneh cherry to come out on kids with guns.

PrettyRagdoll
05-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I disagree. I actually teared up during this Cloud of Unknowing. The performance at Coachella felt lackluster to me.

Really? I felt the Cloud of Unknowing was great at both Coachella and on the feed. That song is just beautiful. But he butchered stylo at Coachella, dear god that was horrible

JustSteve
05-01-2010, 12:19 PM
i forgive a man of that age who is playing to a crowd larger than he has probably ever played in front of in a setting that can be pretty intimidating.

minogueCOMMAk
05-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Really? I felt the Cloud of Unknowing was great at both Coachella and on the feed. That song is just beautiful. But he butchered stylo at Coachella, dear god that was horrible

Yes. Maybe it was my state of mind. I enjoyed it, but infinitly better during this performance.

Kid B
05-01-2010, 12:39 PM
It was the placing of it in the setlist at Coachella that irritated me the most.

TonyWonder
05-01-2010, 12:49 PM
just watched the replay and WOW, I really wish we hadn't missed out on Sweepstakes...at least that video of DARE isn't very impressive. I actually think that Rhinestone Eyes and Cloud of Unknowing were much better at Coachella, but most everything else was improved for the Roundhouse performances. I'm going to do everything in my power to see this show again.

Thisismyname
05-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Soooo North American tour date speculation?

Here's what I'm thinking, I'll probably be completely wrong though. I feel like they'll be doing both the "big" shows, and some smaller club/theater shows similar to the roundhouse shows. It all depend on the market and what's available...

So maybe something like this...

San Fran - Outside Lands
So Cal - Hollywood Bowl
NYC - KeySpan Park, or multiple dates at a theater/club (Roseland?)
Chicago - two nights at Aragon
Toronto - two nights at Kool Haus? IDK toronto venues very well, so...

I feel those are the markets they are most likely to cover, and then beyond that we may see...
DC- Merriweather Post Pavilion
Denver - Red Rocks
Seattle - Two nights at WaMu?
And then maybe Texas...?

Thoughts?

Kid B
05-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Gorillaz at the Bowl would be epic.

PrettyRagdoll
05-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Gorillaz at the Bowl would be epic.

I'd be tempted to fork over money for the box seats if it was guest happy. That would be epic, at the Bowl

schavira
05-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Gorillaz at the Bowl would suck; I'm hoping for the Forum or (if they could somehow get away with such small venues) the Fonda or El Rey.

Even the Greek would be better than the Bowl; the Bowl is way too quiet for a Gorillaz show.

They also really need to add "Don't Get Lost In Heaven/Demon Days" back into their setlists.

Kid B
05-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I doubt they'd do venues that small with this show. Would you really choose the FORUM over the Bowl? and it's only too quiet if you're way back there. The Greek would be great too though.

Thisismyname
05-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Two nights at the Greek seems plausible.

Hell, the roundhouse in London only holds 3,300. Although I would suspect there may be another London date down the road...

theresalwaysone
05-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Gorillaz at the Bowl would suck; I'm hoping for the Forum or (if they could somehow get away with such small venues) the Fonda or El Rey.

Even the Greek would be better than the Bowl; the Bowl is way too quiet for a Gorillaz show.

They also really need to add "Don't Get Lost In Heaven/Demon Days" back into their setlists.

Too quiet? Perfect. I want absolute silence.

schavira
05-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm just not really a fan of sitting venues; between pricing differences for seats/sections, lack of ability to dance/move without feeling awkward, and the vast sums of drunk middle-aged people they attract I would definitely prefer a smaller, general admission theater. The thing about the forum is it has the GA floor, which would be great for a show like Gorillaz; what made the Coachella performance great for me was the ability to be so close to the band and interact with all the fans/people around me, as opposed to being stationed in predetermined seats for the entirety of a show. And I've never seen a Hollywood Bowl show with adequate sound, except maybe Paul McCartney this year, before that the low volume has always ruined performances there for me.

indietron
05-02-2010, 12:43 AM
So you would take the terrible sound of the forum over the awesome yet slightly quiter sound at the hollywood bowl?? By the way, in my experiences the sound has only been quiet when you are in the back half of the venue.

braundiggity
05-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Hollywood Bowl. Absolutely.

rage patton
05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I want Gorillaz to do 2 nights at the Paramount in Seattle. Two nights at the WaMu would be more realistic though...

shakermaker113
05-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I feel like the disney hall would be more likely than the bowl for some reason.

Gribbz
05-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I feel like the disney hall would be more likely than the bowl for some reason.

I was thinking the same thing.

shakermaker113
05-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I just expect damon to go for smaller venues.

seyrnon
05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
if not OSL then give us the Bill Graham Civic, or The Berkeley Greek

shakermaker113
05-02-2010, 09:53 PM
more like the fox. or some odd place like the zellerbach.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-02-2010, 11:19 PM
the fox theater would be perfect. Please do this and not OSL.

BlackSwan
05-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Eww... Bill Graham is terrible. Fox or Warfield obvs. Greek would be interesting.

GnarVee
05-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Eww... Bill Graham is terrible. Fox or Warfield obvs. Greek would be interesting.

AGREED.

Fox is obvious.

but most of my favorite performances ever have taken place at the Greek (the Mars Volta 05/Daft Punk 07)

BlackSwan
05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Damon and Jamie are on Radio 1... RIGHT NOW!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/

Edit: Now they are just playing a song from Plastic Beach.

bballarl
05-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Aren't they renovating the Bill Graham Civic?

BlackSwan
05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Some interesting notes on stuff that didn't make the album:

"It felt like in our evolution, [Coachella] was an epiphany," Albarn says. "In a way, what's on this record has only touched or scratched the surface of the period of work and the sort of adventures that we went on. It's some really out-there stuff, which hopefully will see the light of day at some point. This was as pop as I could make out of everything I had."

"Hewlett: There’s another version of “Glitter Freeze,” which is quite an epic song, where he was having a long, long chat, and we’ll put that out at some point. He plays the part of a pirate on a ship, the Glitter Freeze, and he’s just singing about swabbing out the deck. Einar from the Sugarcubes plays his mad parrot, squawking in his ear, and it has a real sort of [Ennio] Morriconian lift to it at some point with some of the harmonies that Damon does. Personally, that’s my favorite version, but it was [Albarn's] decision.

Albarn: I can’t even remember how I did that, I should really go back in. We’ll put the other version out, but it just didn’t sit with the other songs on this release.

BlackSwan
05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Damon's talking about Coachella right now. Says it's among his top three favorite gigs he's ever done.

sin213
05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
i was listening for a bit, but radio just pisses me off. i had to shut it off after a couple crap songs and droning on of the dj.

rage patton
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Ever done with Gorillaz... or ever done, period?

BlackSwan
05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Ever done... Period.

sin213
05-04-2010, 10:52 AM
coachella does have a certain amount of "epicness" built in by default. even if its a crap gig, the surroundings and vibe even things out.

BlackSwan
05-04-2010, 10:53 AM
It was also the biggest gig he's ever done with Gorillaz.

amyzzz
05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Wow. I'm glad Damon enjoyed it so much -- he sure looked like he was having a great time on stage. Also, want to hear that other glitter Freeze version. This band has really won me over.

BlackSwan
05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
They're about to play 60 minutes of audio highlights from the Roadhouse shows btw.

minogueCOMMAk
05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Wow. I'm glad Damon enjoyed it so much -- he sure looked like he was having a great time on stage. Also, want to hear that other glitter Freeze version. This band has really won me over.

He did! He had the biggest smile and he was so into the music. I fell in love with him.

VicVinegar
05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
That was pretty interesting. I especially liked "Banana! Bobby Womack! Banana!"

amyzzz
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
He did! He had the biggest smile and he was so into the music. I fell in love with him.
Girl, I've been in love with him since 1991. :pulse :pulse

edit: Holy shit, Stylo sounds electrifying with a live Mos Def and Bobby Womack

theecat
05-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I'd imagine it will be a pretty similar set list as the rehearsal shows, and they'll bring whatever guests want to come along for the ride. I'd imagine De La Soul and Little Dragon are a lock. "19-2000" would be a great addition, but very unlikely.

I wish they would switch the setlist for the US TOUR a bit. It would be nice to see some more 19-2000 and such from the first CD. Also, I really hope he does some sort of nice slow finish like Demon Days NY performance.

theecat
05-05-2010, 10:12 AM
So I'd like to admit my fuck up. I love this album now, top 10 of the year for sure. I'm not sure if I'll be listening to this in a few years, but I like to believe with how much I enjoy some of these songs, I will be listening to this down the line. Also the performance was fucking awesome at Coachella, I can't wait for this fall tour. EMPIRE ANTS!!!!!

Bingo. It takes time this one. Some people got it faster than others. Glad you're digging it. I'll definitely pay it a couple revisits throughout the years.

amyzzz
05-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I dreamt Damn Albarn TOOK OVER THE WORLD. And he listened in on all my phone calls and then berated me about them afterwards. Curse you, Damon Albarn!

PrettyRagdoll
05-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Bingo. It takes time this one. Some people got it faster than others. Glad you're digging it. I'll definitely pay it a couple revisits throughout the years.

For some reason this is really true. I've been a huge Gorillaz fan since the beginning but it took me two complete listens before I didn't just like 'certain songs.' Now it's definitely one of my favorite albums of 2010

theecat
05-05-2010, 11:17 AM

BgCQpYYaF68

lTULswWTvwI

AAAAAAHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!! This stylo version is suuuuupremely badass! Thanks BS. Just catching up with old posts and thought some might want to enjoy it again.

amyzzz
05-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Watching Damon pump his fists in the air when Bobby comes in on cue makes me happy inside.

shakermaker113
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
more stuff from the self titled in the live show would definitely be appreciated. easy too since most of them don't have guests.

brando4n82
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
more stuff from the self titled in the live show would definitely be appreciated. easy too since most of them don't have guests.

THIS. I still dont know why they didnt bother to get Del to guest on CLint Eastwood at Coachella

WhyTheLongFace
05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
THIS. I still dont know why they didnt bother to get Del to guest on CLint Eastwood at Coachella

*sigh* Not this again

brando4n82
05-05-2010, 06:39 PM
*sigh* Not this again

I don't know what to tell you. I don't come in this thread much at all. I'm just itching for California tour dates, and felt like expressing my love for their self titled album. It just seemed like an easy, no-brainer guest spot to nab. But this issue has clearly been covered so let me go fuck myself instead.

shakermaker113
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM

I'm sure they tried. Del is a moron.

Geno_g
05-05-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm sure they tried. Del is a moron.

Also getting so high, he probably forgot about where he was at the time...

Last time I saw him with Hiro it was a shame, he should have stayed home, he just was yelling and drunk...

brando4n82
05-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Also getting so high, he probably forgot about where he was at the time...

Last time I saw him with Hiro it was a shame, he should have stayed home, he just was yelling and drunk...

Jesus.... thats, disappointing.

shakermaker113
05-05-2010, 07:27 PM
he was booked at a concert in winnipeg the night of the gorillaz coachella show. fucking winnipeg. and I would bet money he didn't even show up to it.

brando4n82
05-05-2010, 07:35 PM
he was booked at a concert in winnipeg the night of the gorillaz coachella show. fucking winnipeg. and I would bet money he didn't even show up to it.

Ouch.

Thanks for the info.

shakermaker113
05-05-2010, 08:14 PM
del's thoughts on clint eastwood:

ADnl-rLVk9o

Imma tell you something man, I never really had nothing to do with that. Like Dan already had that done. It was done. He just needed a vocalist that he felt was better than the one he had. And I was there and he was like I know you could whip this up in like 30 minutes, come on, what's happening... I mean if I asked or something, or cooperated when they wanted to go on the road... it was never meant to be as big as it was, really, you know what I'm saying? It was just something that they was doing for a hobby and it started leaking out. I mean but the artist was dope, I keep forgettin dude's name, but he raw, he used to do tank girl, and I used to collect Tank Girl, you feel me? So that was my initial interest in it. Then other dude from Blur, what was his name, Damon Albarn right, he was always selling millions of records you feel me, so as soon as it leaked about him... oh okay, dude, I know dude, what's this? I ain't heard of this [and it went] mainstream, know what I'm saying? I ain't mad at it, you know, it paid my bills, it paid for my house and all that, you know what I'm saying? But yeah, you know, I just keep it moving man.

WhyTheLongFace
05-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't know what to tell you. I don't come in this thread much at all. I'm just itching for California tour dates, and felt like expressing my love for their self titled album. It just seemed like an easy, no-brainer guest spot to nab. But this issue has clearly been covered so let me go fuck myself instead.

Yeah I'm not upset at you not knowing why Del wasnt there or not it's the assumption that Gorillas didn't bother to get Del. Inside information that neither me or you or anyone in the general public would know. That's how rumors get started.

FoxeyLady
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
That Del clip was interesting. It seemed like when he recorded it he had no real idea of what Gorillaz were or what the project was about. It sounds like he never even met Damon, he just recorded it with Dan the Automator.

I thought it was funny that he said that song pretty much paid for his house and all his bills. Hows 'bout paying them back by playing some shows with them dude!!!

shakermaker113
05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
it doesn't sound like he spent much time on it. not sure how rock the house fit in.

FoxeyLady
05-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah, it's kind of funny considering how amazing that song is and how great his verses are, that he just threw it together in 30 minutes.

I'd bet Rock the House is the same story more or less.

rage patton
05-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't get Del. He always closes his solo show with Clint Eastwood... yet he wants nothing to do with Gorillaz' live show. He has clearly smoked himself retarded.

PrettyRagdoll
05-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't get Del. He always closes his solo show with Clint Eastwood... yet he wants nothing to do with Gorillaz' live show. He has clearly smoked himself retarded.

Obviously, just look at him in that clip. He looks like a hardcore druggy.

WhyTheLongFace
05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
You guys make a lot of assumptions. Damon has never said "I reached out to Del and he said no."

pezGato
05-06-2010, 12:03 AM
del's thoughts on clint eastwood:

ADnl-rLVk9o

WOw. I would have never thought del's perspective would be lke that. crazy. but yes, he definitely should show some love back by performing w/ gorillaz at least once

crazzz2007
05-06-2010, 04:05 AM
I agree, this was what the Coachella performance was supposed to be.

Even if all the guests had been at Coachella, it would not have been anywhere close to how good these London shows are. They really did use Coachella as a warm up gig. That's fucking outrageous.

GnarVee
05-06-2010, 07:22 AM
^in his home hometown (even though he was born in Oakland..) festival.

dudes almost 40 n shit.