PDA

View Full Version : The Gorillaz Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

FoxeyLady
03-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Watching Mick Jones jam out on Gorillaz tunes while wearing a sailor's hat is fucking awesome.

DFrank
03-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Shit should i even watch these videos?

Edit*: Just caved in.

FoxeyLady
03-24-2010, 05:21 PM
1:10-2:00 is especially great.
2fiGv0MYN-M

vinylmartyr
03-24-2010, 05:21 PM
I've seen Gorillaz before and I think their Coachella set could end up being the best show I have ever seen.

DFrank
03-24-2010, 05:28 PM
BLAAAAH! Im so fucking excited about this. This is an epic way to end the weekend...i'm going to be leaving the fields with a huge grin on my face :)

Grant
03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
FUCK Clint Eastwood is gonna be so awesome

braundiggity
03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
all 3 albums live at coachella is definitely possible. just take out some of the filler stuff, maybe shorten a few tracks, and they can play all three albums in under 2.5 hours.

That would be, on paper, sincerely awesome. In reality though, I can imagine myself actually preferring the previously posted setlist though (with a few additions). Literally no filler there, not a song I don't love.

That said. I don't think all three albums will happen because I can't imagine they'll get 2.5 hours, given Sunday's stacked lineup.

clumsy342
03-24-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm curious about what happened to all of the "Gorillaz aren't headliners" talk.
it was pretty foolish, but it's strange that it just disappeared when the lineup came out.

braundiggity
03-24-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm curious about what happened to all of the "Gorillaz aren't headliners" talk.
it was pretty foolish, but it's strange that it just disappeared when the lineup came out.

They sold 6 million copies of Demon Days. Definitely foolish. I think the fact that Plastic Beach is so great helped, though.

braundiggity
03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Just a thought -- if they're going to play Some Kind of Nature without Lou Reed, they should totally get Stephen Malkmus to do the vocals. That would kick all kinds of ass.

oyeloca
03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
where is empire ants ? :(

rage patton
03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Hoooooooooooooooooly Fuck. Oh my god. That Clint Eastwood video was fucking FANTASTIC. I really hope they play that at Coachella with a backing track instead of having De La Soul come out and fuck it up. Because seriously... if they played it just like that at Coachella that would be mostrous.

Also, considering the setlist has been the same night, I think this will be the setlist we get at Coachella.

daftmonkey64
03-24-2010, 11:02 PM
its good. but i won't be satisfied with empire ants.

condenser
03-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Just a thought -- if they're going to play Some Kind of Nature without Lou Reed, they should totally get Stephen Malkmus to do the vocals. That would kick all kinds of ass.

I love it!

BlackSwan
03-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Gorillaz animation of Snoop Dogg:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3897/x2ef8bcb.jpg

Snoop Dogg on the set of the shoot for the new Gorillaz video:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7960/x2ef92ed.jpg

GnarVee
03-25-2010, 09:08 AM
ok.

I am now 100% confident he WILL be there.

GORILLAZ & DA BOSS DOGG PLANET OF THA APES.

sbessiso
03-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Gorillaz animation of Snoop Dogg:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3897/x2ef8bcb.jpg

Snoop Dogg on the set of the shoot for the new Gorillaz video:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7960/x2ef92ed.jpg

holy fuck this is AWESOME

and goddammit I read the setlist...

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM
oH SHIT.. those Snoop pics look amazing.

And as someone said before, this will be an amazing way to end the weekend. :)

FoxeyLady
03-25-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm still confused as to why people think Snoop won't be there because he has a show the next night in New York. It only takes 5 hours to fly across the country, not an entire day...

BlackSwan
03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Acquired!

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/480/nme1.th.jpg

amyzzz
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
haha finally.

TommyboyUNM
03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
ZImEyeyBXBw

I honestly feel sorry for Damon for jumping around like an idiot thinking he created some masterpiece.

This song is a childish novelty song that is equivalent to that dumb fucking "Fish Heads" song from the 80's. And you all eat it up because it says "Gorillaz" on it.

BlackSwan
03-25-2010, 05:05 PM
I enjoy Damon's voice and appreciate his musical aesthetic. It doesn't have anything to do with the cartoons or branding. You even admitted enjoying Demon Days on some level... Where did this newfound hate for Gorillaz come from?

ficklecycle
03-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I think Tommy is talking about the song, not the album.

I don't like it at all either. Super fucking cheesy.

sin213
03-25-2010, 05:08 PM
:nono

one of my favorites off the album...its more than a novelty song. and its supposed to sound like a commercial...the whole string of Stylo > SuperFast Jellyfish > Empire Ants > Glitter Freeze is, imo, the best part of the album.

and, tommy, from reading a lot of your song and album reviews, i think you already have a lot preconcieved notions as to what you believe someone's music should sound like....and if it isn't in line with what you expect, you automatically hate it without giving it a chance.

on first listen, i wasn't too sure about this album, but on each new listen the whole concept of the "Plastic Beach" theme and the songs that made up the album has become clear.

TommyboyUNM
03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
I think Tommy is talking about the song, not the album.

I don't like it at all either. Super fucking cheesy.

Bingo. I quoted the video of the song for a reason. Thank you, long-sig guy.

and, tommy, from reading a lot of your song and album reviews, i think you already have a lot preconcieved notions as to what you believe someone's music should sound like....and if it isn't in line with what you expect, you automatically hate it without giving it a chance.

on first listen, i wasn't too sure about this album, but on each new listen the whole concept of the "Plastic Beach" theme and the songs that made up the album has become clear.

I like a lot of things I never thought I would like. Owen Pallett's album is a perfect example. It doesn't fit what I usually listen to, but it's arranged really well and has a nice flow to it.

Damon's concept is ok, I guess, but it's not the most novel thing in the world. Artists have been talking about this stuff for a long time. He might as well have just made a love record.

TommyboyUNM
03-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I enjoy Damon's voice and appreciate his musical aesthetic. It doesn't have anything to do with the cartoons or branding. You even admitted enjoying Demon Days on some level... Where did this newfound hate for Gorillaz come from?

As Fickle stated, I was talking about the song. I know you don't care about cartoons and branding.

I thought there were some really fun and catchy songs on Demon Days. I still listen to "Dirty Harry" pretty often. Then Damon put out this new record that is over-run with guest appearances, cheesy canned beats, and Knight-Rider sounds.

This is mediocre hip-hop/pop music that wouldn't get the love it does if it wasn't put out by Gorillaz.

lunatic core
03-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I am just gonna say fuck you and your insulting premise.

liquidsnake28
03-25-2010, 05:35 PM
The last three Blur albums were his best work.

TommyboyUNM
03-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I am just gonna say fuck you and your insulting premise.

That's not very nice or civilized. Why is my premise insulting?

braundiggity
03-25-2010, 05:55 PM
This is mediocre hip-hop/pop music that wouldn't get the love it does if it wasn't put out by Gorillaz.

This is the biggest problem with your argument, for me. I like maybe ten total songs combined on the first two Gorillaz albums (ie, absolutely not predisposed to like anything Gorillaz), but Plastic Beach is a masterpiece to me. Is it more poppy? Absolutely. And it's fucking better for it.

lunatic core
03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
That's not very nice or civilized. Why is my premise insulting?

This stupid cliché B.S. premise that people must be diluted by hype because they enjoy something you don't. Like or dislike whatever you want, but I find your reasoning behind people enjoying Plastic Beach to be insulting. It's a smug, stupid and overused argument that ignores differences in taste aquired by different listening habits. I could easily have put PB aside and moved on to one of the many other CDs I have gotten recently, but it has stuck into my rotation, and since I wont be seeing them live and I didn't freak out over previous releases I have none of your hype qualifiers. It's just a good damn disc.

TommyboyUNM
03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
This stupid cliché B.S. premise that people must be diluted by hype because they enjoy something you don't. Like or dislike whatever you want, but I find your reasoning behind people enjoying Plastic Beach to be insulting. It's a smug, stupid and overused argument that ignores differences in taste aquired by different listening habits. I could easily have put PB aside and moved on to one of the many other CDs I have gotten recently, but it has stuck into my rotation, and since I wont be seeing them live and I didn't freak out over previous releases I have none of your hype qualifiers. It's just a good damn disc.

I'm glad you used your own personal story to try and disprove a theory, but I'm not buying it. It doesn't sound like an acclaimed band's album. It sounds like a generic hip-hop group made this album. I can see how people could praise the first 2 albums. I don't like them all the way, but I get it. This one is just such a far departure from the 1st two that I'm convinced that people are largely just remembering how much they liked those discs when listening to this one.

The album is cheesy as all hell. That's fine, some people like that. I don't like him, but I think Damon is capable of way more interesting texture and beats. I don't like this formula of repetitive beat then cue guest rapper. Or repetitive beat then cue guest singer. I'm sure with enough listens, I can talk myself into liking it. There's just so much good stuff our right now, that I think it would be a waste to give it more than the 4 listens I've given it. And I've heard many of the songs more times than that.

brando4n82
03-25-2010, 07:34 PM
There's not anywhere near 10 enjoyable songs on the first two albums either.

amyzzz
03-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Geez, go away if you don't like it. We don't want to convert you anyway. I can't wait to experience this album live.

crazzz2007
03-25-2010, 07:53 PM
This is the biggest problem with your argument, for me. I like maybe ten total songs combined on the first two Gorillaz albums (ie, absolutely not predisposed to like anything Gorillaz), but Plastic Beach is a masterpiece to me. Is it more poppy? Absolutely. And it's fucking better for it.

Plastic Beach is a masterpiece? you fucking idiot.

TommyboyUNM
03-25-2010, 08:17 PM

An emoticon isn't an acceptable response. Please leave my thread.

Geez, go away if you don't like it. We don't want to convert you anyway. I can't wait to experience this album live.

This album is banned from the house.

hawkingvsreeve
03-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Shit just got real.

shermanoaksyo
03-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Album is growing on me. Can't wait for 11 pm sunday (or sunday in general)

darkjustice
03-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Cloud Of Unknowing

BlackSwan
03-25-2010, 10:52 PM
I thought there were some really fun and catchy songs on Demon Days. I still listen to "Dirty Harry" pretty often. Then Damon put out this new record that is over-run with guest appearances, cheesy canned beats, and Knight-Rider sounds.

Saying "over-run" is a bit silly. Guest appearances are part of the whole idea of Gorillaz. My favorite songs usually just involve Damon, but that criticism is like saying metal is loud. No shit it's loud. It's metal.

"Cheesy canned beats" is somewhat valid. Damon has been known to have an affinity for simple electronic sounds. He released a limited edition vinyl pressing of demos from a solo album he never finished. It was horrid. Even I couldn't stand it.

And Knight Rider is awesome... I have no idea what you are talking about there.

braundiggity
03-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Plastic Beach is a masterpiece? you fucking idiot.

Ha, sorry to offend your taste (or shock you with my affinity for exaggeration). What can I say, I like it more than anything I heard last year or so far this year, and best-of-the-year generally qualifies as masterpiecerific for me. Without actually thinking about all the acts, it's probably my favorite album by anyone playing coachella this year, at least right now. That's just how it is.

unknown
03-25-2010, 11:14 PM
This album is banned from the house.
Damn. First a Fever Ray ban and now this? You guys are cruel.

braundiggity
03-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm glad you used your own personal story to try and disprove a theory, but I'm not buying it. It doesn't sound like an acclaimed band's album.

That's insane. You're basically saying that Lunatic using his/her personal experience and suggesting others could feel similarly is less valid than you simply assuming how everyone feels (without at all having had the experience you're assuming everyone else has). That's such a crock of shit.

Also, it's Gorillaz' best-reviewed album (along side Demon Days, and well ahead of the debut), if you take away an outlier negative LA Times review. So it's an acclaimed band's acclaimed album.

pezGato
03-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Cloud Of Unknowing

finally some love. i think this song live with a pro shot would be nice

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-26-2010, 12:51 AM
I :pulse the new Gorillaz. I didn't like the 1st album as much. I enjoyed Demon Days a little better but I actually enjoy Plastic Beach a lot.

Coachella Bound
03-26-2010, 01:09 AM
i had to take it out of my cd player... it was nonstop. Jellyfish is a concept song, its a concept album. What the fuck is wrong w/ u people?

thedevious
03-26-2010, 01:37 AM
There must not be many Super Furry Animals fans on this board. To me Jellyfish sounds like a killer SFA song with some Gorillaz goodness thrown in for good measure.

Pure fucking gold.

This album is imminently listenable, just Empire Ants alone had me on repeat for a goddamn spell!

lunatic core
03-26-2010, 03:37 AM
i had to take it out of my cd player... it was nonstop. Jellyfish is a concept song, its a concept album. What the fuck is wrong w/ u people?

Concept album = bad?
I have a ton of music to get rid of now.

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Saying "over-run" is a bit silly. Guest appearances are part of the whole idea of Gorillaz. My favorite songs usually just involve Damon, but that criticism is like saying metal is loud. No shit it's loud. It's metal.

And Knight Rider is awesome... I have no idea what you are talking about there.

Your first point is a fair one. I need to re-label Gorillaz' albums in my iTunes as "compilations."

As for your second point. Tell me this isn't straight out of Knight Rider.

ZEhUsdaTavw

That's insane. You're basically saying that Lunatic using his/her personal experience and suggesting others could feel similarly is less valid than you simply assuming how everyone feels (without at all having had the experience you're assuming everyone else has). That's such a crock of shit.

No use for the language. There are ladies reading this. But, yes, everything you said is essentially how I feel.

Jellyfish being a concept song makes it neither good nor bad. It makes it a concept song. There can be good concept songs/albums and bad concept songs/albums. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Yes, it's a concept album. Yes, it's a concept song. It's still an awful song no matter what label you put on it.

liquidsnake28
03-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah guys, don't you know? Concept albums are ALWAYS bad. Dark Side of the Moon, Ziggy Stardust, they're all terrible shit.

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Superfast Jellyfish is silly and fun. It's not what I'd normally listen to, but it grew on me, and my kids love it. All hail King Neptune and his water breathers!

liquidsnake28
03-26-2010, 09:35 AM
The worst concept album ever had to be Sgt. Peppers. What a joke!

humanoid
03-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Plastic Beach, Sgt. Peppers, Dark Side, Ziggy Stardust...which one does not belong here?

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 09:44 AM
As for your second point. Tell me this isn't straight out of Knight Rider.

ZEhUsdaTavw

It does sound very Knight Rider... It isn't a copy, but that was clearly the vibe he was going for. That said, I drove 40 minutes to the closest record store to by this album when I was back in NY. On the drive home, blasting "Stylo" speeding down the highway was a badass feeling. Why is referencing Knight Rider automatically a bad thing?

In an interview with Damon from an Aussie radio startion, he was talking about how on PB, he was trying to combine styles and sounds he hadn't heard before. He described it as "an experiment" where somethings end up working, and some don't. I feel like he tried to make it a little too poppy, and some tracks ended up being a little too accessible and poppy. And by poppy, I really mean simple, but in my opinion, music doesn't have to be complicated to be good. In fact, with the prevalence of laptop production and all the technology available to producers today, a lot of music ends up sounding overproduced.

Jellyfish being a concept song makes it neither good nor bad. It makes it a concept song. There can be good concept songs/albums and bad concept songs/albums. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Yes, it's a concept album. Yes, it's a concept song. It's still an awful song no matter what label you put on it.

I think Jellyfish works for what Damon was trying to accomplish. I like the production and jingle-esque quality of it. The chorus is also super catchy. The part I could do without is the samples. They are unnecessary.

liquidsnake28
03-26-2010, 09:48 AM
The first Gorillaz album was the only one that was somewhat interesting.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
The first Gorillaz album was the only one that was somewhat interesting.

None of the opinions you have posted in this thread are even remotely interesting.

Gribbz
03-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Superfast Jellyfish has grown on me tremendously.

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah guys, don't you know? Concept albums are ALWAYS bad. Dark Side of the Moon, Ziggy Stardust, they're all terrible shit.

I took Coachella Bound's comment to mean that he liked Plastic Beach so much that he had to take it out of the CD player because he was playing it so much. It seemed like his "concept song/album" comment was a defense of it. It was pretty vague, though. So who knows?

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 10:13 AM
It does sound very Knight Rider... It isn't a copy, but that was clearly the vibe he was going for. That said, I drove 40 minutes to the closest record store to by this album when I was back in NY. On the drive home, blasting "Stylo" speeding down the highway was a badass feeling. Why is referencing Knight Rider automatically a bad thing?

In an interview with Damon from an Aussie radio startion, he was talking about how on PB, he was trying to combine styles and sounds he hadn't heard before. He described it as "an experiment" where somethings end up working, and some don't. I feel like he tried to make it a little too poppy, and some tracks ended up being a little too accessible and poppy. And by poppy, I really mean simple, but in my opinion, music doesn't have to be complicated to be good. In fact, with the prevalence of laptop production and all the technology available to producers today, a lot of music ends up sounding overproduced.

I think Jellyfish works for what Damon was trying to accomplish. I like the production and jingle-esque quality of it. The chorus is also super catchy. The part I could do without is the samples. They are unnecessary.

1) I could probably just say music is subjective, which it is, but then what would be the point of this message board? Knight Rider is a bad thing, to me, because the 80's were very cheesy. And that was a cheesy show. The song just conjures up bad associations for me. If you want to pretend you're David Hasselhoff whilst driving and listening to that song, then I think that's acceptable. It's a great song for that.

2) I completely agree with you about a lot of music today sounding overproduced. You're on the money. I think I have a big bias toward very poppy-sounding music. That's why I don't dig the new Goldfrapp album. When Damon takes a simplistic direction with his music, I think he's limiting himself a bit. Especially for that style of music. It works for The White Stripes, but not for the music Damon has in mind. Much of it comes off as Muzak. Again, that's just how it sounds to me.

3) When you explain it that way, the song makes more sense. It's supposed to sound like a jingle. Ok, fair enough. I don't like how it sounds, but he was going for that jingle sound and it worked. I don't think the concept is all that interesting, but he thought it out.

frozen pilgrim
03-26-2010, 10:19 AM
just a comment on the 'canned' beats thing- I got the impression immediately that the choice for, if you will accept the term, more 'raw' sounding electronic elements across the album was intentional, and part of the concept of the album- that the beach, the album, the music, is comprised of bits of refuse from all over the world, swirled around and mashed togehter to make something beautiful. the zillion guests, the broken, jittery blips, the bare casio noises, they're all bits of international cultural debris.

Coachella Bound
03-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Concept album = bad?
I have a ton of music to get rid of now.

what part of playing it so much i had to take it out would suggest i felt it was a bad album....? i should have been a little moe elaborate for the slower individuals. Jellyfish and Sweepstakes are my least favorite tracks on the album, but when you look at the album on a whole, and especially after you watch the documentary, its very clear that there is a message being explained, and whether its a good or bad "song" theres still a point....

the album on a whole is fanfuckingtastic, collaboration album agreed., but some of my favorite parts of the album are the straight Gorillaz moments. Rhinestone Eyes, O Green World, and Tomorrow Comes Today..... still my favorites for each album and none of those are collabs.

see concept grassped.... BSwan can do it, why cant all of you?

braundiggity
03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
see concept grasped.... BSwan can do it, why cant all of you?

Is grasping the concept even relevant to whether or not anyone likes the album? Maybe it's just me, but I don't find myself liking things based strictly on their message -- it can enhance something I already love, or alienate me further from something I already don't like, but if it sounds good, I like it, period. And I really, really love what I hear when I play Plastic Beach. I mostly couldn't care less about the message.

(similarly, if someone doesn't like the music, I don't think it's fair to think they're wrong simply because they aren't getting the message).

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
just a comment on the 'canned' beats thing- I got the impression immediately that the choice for, if you will accept the term, more 'raw' sounding electronic elements across the album was intentional, and part of the concept of the album- that the beach, the album, the music, is comprised of bits of refuse from all over the world, swirled around and mashed togehter to make something beautiful. the zillion guests, the broken, jittery blips, the bare casio noises, they're all bits of international cultural debris.
I really like this description.

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 10:38 AM

That's fine, and I believe it, but that doesn't make it sound any better to me. I read what information there was about the concept before the album was released. So I kind of understand what he was doing, it just doesn't sound particularly good to me. Bare Casio noises, even under the guise of a concept, turn me off.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I agree, but the description also kind of makes excuses for Damon. Listen to his unfinished work, it usually always involves raw casio sounds. It isn't just specific to the "concept" here.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
1) I could probably just say music is subjective, which it is, but then what would be the point of this message board? Knight Rider is a bad thing, to me, because the 80's were very cheesy. And that was a cheesy show. The song just conjures up bad associations for me. If you want to pretend you're David Hasselhoff whilst driving and listening to that song, then I think that's acceptable. It's a great song for that.

When I am in the right mood, I like some cheesy 80's stuff, so yeah, it's a personal preference.

algunz
03-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Damon may get fined by the British for smoking on stage. That's very funny to me.

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I didn't realize he smoked. I guess I wouldn't do him now.

humanoid
03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
yes you would

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 11:19 AM
damnit.

FoxeyLady
03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Tommyboy I've listened to the points you've made and many of them are valid and while I may disagree I respect the way you've stated your opinion without being a giant asshole. However, this comment sort of baffled me....

Damon's concept is ok, I guess, but it's not the most novel thing in the world. Artists have been talking about this stuff for a long time. He might as well have just made a love record.

I can't think of another concept album based on mass consumption and the disposability of our society. If they exist please enlighten me. But to say this concept is just as played out as making a record about love is just plain silly.

Couldn't have put it any better.

Mr. Dylanja
03-26-2010, 11:34 AM
"where women look hot but the beach cold, and the speech goes like 'hi little lady' sex on the beach wanna try for a baby"

Mr. Dylanja
03-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I can't think of another concept album based on mass consumption and the disposability of our society. If they exist please enlighten me. But to say this concept is just as played out as making a record about love is just plain silly.

*coughYEARZEROcough*

FoxeyLady
03-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Ah yes. Well I hate NIN so I guess that's why it didn't come to mind. But seriously, that's only one.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm tired of everyone trying to say what the concept of this album is really about... Let's all listen to Damon...

TD: Yes I did, I'm putting on a great Damon Albarn voice. [laughs]. So why are Gorillaz, these people you have nothing to do with, in this Plastic World? Why is it a Plastic Beach?

DA: [pause. breathes out] What, are you asking them or are you asking me?

TD: Well you seem to know a lot about it.

DA: Well as I say I have nothing to do with them. Whatsoever. I mean I try and make decent records. The whole Gorillaz thing is not about me hiding away or trying to be.. sort of... some kind of Wizard of Oz... thing. It's not like that at all, I genunely love making the records, I love the process of... as they develop things come to mind like when I got the groove Stylo together, I just thought wouldnt it be amazing to get someone like Bobby Womack, who I've always been a massive fan of, to sing over that kind, sort of, quite cold electro beat because I'd never heard that kind of voice over that kind of thing. So it's very much an experiment and some of it works and some of it doesn't. I had like 80 tunes... by the time... by the end of last year when I really started cutting it all down, I had 80 tunes which I was considering for Plastic Beach. And the reason why it's called Plastic Beach is very simple. I was just walking on this beautiful little beach near my country residence down in Devon and I just noticed there were thousands of very small bits of plastic in the stones and in the sand and it kind of looked very beautiful and I felt that plastic although it's a man-made thing, it's quite a natural thing and we kind of have this weird idea that it's man-made and not from nature but actually if we made it, it must be part of nature's course, do you know what I mean? And I suppose it was just like two words that you wouldn't put together, and yes there is definitely a sort of emotional response to the pollution that we keep... that increases every day and I mean, I went to quite a few landfill sites to record seagulls and stuff when I was making the record, and it's quite overwhelming when you sort of confront how we get rid of our waste. These are like cities. And we supply them daily.

TD: Well there are ships full of rubbish, it's amazing. I've seen them in the Hudson river in New York.

DA: Yeah. It's just extraordinary. So there's an element of that but it's also, a lot of the records is about sitting on a beach, and staring at the stars, and the sea, being quite sort of, reflective, you know, it's not all about waste disposal. [laughs]

TD: No, of course not! I'd not have suggested that at all. But you have said, you did say, in the doco, in Bananaz, that the one thing you learnt from Britpop is that it's very difficult in the UK to be experimental, and now with your association with Gorillaz, experimental is the top of the menu.

DA: Well that's why I like it. and you know, by having the cartoons, you know for a lot of people that's what they're into, they don't even know that I make the records, and that's great, because they get a very different take on the whole thing, they see it through the eyes of the cartoons, and I think that's really interesting but I'm not going to pretend that the... do you know what I mean?...

TD: Absolutely...

I can't think of any other concept albums like this.

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 11:39 AM

While not dealing with the exact same themes, because it was made 13 years ago, OK Computer by Radiohead touched on a lot of these same concepts.

No two concept albums will be the exact same. But it's the general idea of society heading a certain way because of technology, consumption, industrialization, and the media. I think that's a pretty common theme.

It's fine if he wants to do that, but I don't think he gets points for novelty. The presentation is different than OK Computer and the like, so I won't argue that.

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
I remember some of those same themes on Demon Days (but I'm not going to say the whole album is based around that concept).

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
That was a good explanation, BlackSwan, thanks for posting that. I may have been reading incorrect interpretations by fans of the band.

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Tommy, just listen to it a few more times.

Mr. Dylanja
03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Tommy, I think you should just BLAST Tool the entire time you're at the house!

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't mind Tool, you tool.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I can't stand Tool.

Mr. Dylanja
03-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Tool sucks.

CellarOwl
03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Marilyn Manson wrote three albums about that very thing. In a row. Though nobody would fault you for a) not knowing and b) not giving a shit about him in the first place because it's Marilyn Manson. Pretty sure VNV Nation and Fear Factory have done it too, but that concept's really been all the rage in the last 20 years for anything to do goth/industrial/metal/horseshit. Porcupine Tree touched down on the idea also with Fear Of A Blank Planet through the eyes of a tween/teen.

I was also going to mention OK Computer but it's already been listed.

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
I regret not being a slut when I was 19. I should've had Damon then, damnit.

Mr. Dylanja
03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
To get back on topic, I like this album more with every listen. Sure it's poppy and simplistic but more importantly to me, it's fun. It puts me in a good mood. Combine that with the Coachella main stage and this set will be gauranteed good times.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Marilyn Manson wrote three albums about that very thing. In a row. Though nobody would fault you for a) not knowing and b) not giving a shit about him in the first place because it's Marilyn Manson. Pretty sure VNV Nation and Fear Factory have done it too, but that concept's really been all the rage in the last 20 years for anything to do goth/industrial/metal/horseshit. Porcupine Tree touched down on the idea also with Fear Of A Blank Planet through the eyes of a tween/teen.

I was also going to mention OK Computer but it's already been listed.

The album is not "based on mass consumption and the disposability of our society"...

I'm tired of everyone trying to say what the concept of this album is really about... Let's all listen to Damon...

Quote:
TD: Yes I did, I'm putting on a great Damon Albarn voice. [laughs]. So why are Gorillaz, these people you have nothing to do with, in this Plastic World? Why is it a Plastic Beach?

DA: [pause. breathes out] What, are you asking them or are you asking me?

TD: Well you seem to know a lot about it.

DA: Well as I say I have nothing to do with them. Whatsoever. I mean I try and make decent records. The whole Gorillaz thing is not about me hiding away or trying to be.. sort of... some kind of Wizard of Oz... thing. It's not like that at all, I genunely love making the records, I love the process of... as they develop things come to mind like when I got the groove Stylo together, I just thought wouldnt it be amazing to get someone like Bobby Womack, who I've always been a massive fan of, to sing over that kind, sort of, quite cold electro beat because I'd never heard that kind of voice over that kind of thing. So it's very much an experiment and some of it works and some of it doesn't. I had like 80 tunes... by the time... by the end of last year when I really started cutting it all down, I had 80 tunes which I was considering for Plastic Beach. And the reason why it's called Plastic Beach is very simple. I was just walking on this beautiful little beach near my country residence down in Devon and I just noticed there were thousands of very small bits of plastic in the stones and in the sand and it kind of looked very beautiful and I felt that plastic although it's a man-made thing, it's quite a natural thing and we kind of have this weird idea that it's man-made and not from nature but actually if we made it, it must be part of nature's course, do you know what I mean? And I suppose it was just like two words that you wouldn't put together, and yes there is definitely a sort of emotional response to the pollution that we keep... that increases every day and I mean, I went to quite a few landfill sites to record seagulls and stuff when I was making the record, and it's quite overwhelming when you sort of confront how we get rid of our waste. These are like cities. And we supply them daily.

TD: Well there are ships full of rubbish, it's amazing. I've seen them in the Hudson river in New York.

DA: Yeah. It's just extraordinary. So there's an element of that but it's also, a lot of the records is about sitting on a beach, and staring at the stars, and the sea, being quite sort of, reflective, you know, it's not all about waste disposal. [laughs]

TD: No, of course not! I'd not have suggested that at all. But you have said, you did say, in the doco, in Bananaz, that the one thing you learnt from Britpop is that it's very difficult in the UK to be experimental, and now with your association with Gorillaz, experimental is the top of the menu.

DA: Well that's why I like it. and you know, by having the cartoons, you know for a lot of people that's what they're into, they don't even know that I make the records, and that's great, because they get a very different take on the whole thing, they see it through the eyes of the cartoons, and I think that's really interesting but I'm not going to pretend that the... do you know what I mean?...

TD: Absolutely...

I can't think of any other concept albums like this.

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 12:05 PM
To get back on topic, I like this album more with every listen. Sure it's poppy and simplistic but more importantly to me, it's fun. It puts me in a good mood. Combine that with the Coachella main stage and this set will be guaranteed good times.
Yes. I totally agree.

FoxeyLady
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
The album is not "based on mass consumption and the disposability of our society"...

To be fair it is based on a several different ideas. Those are a few of them, along with how Damon described it in that interview. Superfast Jellyfish is totally about that^

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 12:14 PM
To get back on topic, I like this album more with every listen. Sure it's poppy and simplistic but more importantly to me, it's fun. It puts me in a good mood. Combine that with the Coachella main stage and this set will be gauranteed good times.

We have our own things we consider to be fun. Sigur Ros is fun to me even though a lot of it is slow. I have fun when I listen to "How to Disappear Completely" even though it's slow and dreary. The musicianship is fun to me, not necessarily the tempo of the song. But I can see how faster tempo can mean "fun" for other people.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 12:14 PM
To be fair it is based on a several different ideas. Those are a few of them, along with how Damon described it in that interview. Superfast Jellyfish is totally about that^

The song lightly references that idea, but I think the way you are interpreting it is slightly off. And to ascribe that to the whole album is a bit of a stretch.

FoxeyLady
03-26-2010, 12:16 PM
The song lightly references that idea, but I think the way you are interpreting it is slightly off.

I was just trying to sum it up in a few words, I may have it a little off but overall I have definitely seen it described that way many times. It would have taken me a few paragraphs to even paraphrase what Damon said...

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Described by who?

FoxeyLady
03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
By multiple music publications and other various places I'm not searching for right now. How would you describe it in 10 words?

humanoid
03-26-2010, 12:22 PM
A silly album that a fucking cartoon band would create.

humanoid
03-26-2010, 12:23 PM
sorry, don't hate me...enjoy it as you were.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 12:24 PM
See, I don't give a shit how people are interpreting the song (or the album). If it doesn't come from Damon, Jamie, or De La Soul than it's just interpretations. I'm going to shift through Damon's interview to see if I can find anything. There is also a part of the documentary where De La Soul are talking about their lyrics, but I don't remember if it included anything particularly insightful.

FoxeyLady
03-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah maybe I just got that idea from everywhere else, but it doesn't seem like it's false, maybe just not complete. I mean Damon said he got the idea from seeing landfills in Mali. The album is called Plastic Beach, to think it has nothing to do with consumption or disposability at least on the surface is kind of odd.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean to say it was completely false. Just that there is a lot open to interpretation, and there is a lot of that going on by all the fans and publications.

Here http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8572/scan0009ud.jpg... De La Soul say it's a "souped-up, underwater commercial", so to say there is some level of commentary on commercialism and consumption is definitely valid. I just think everything after that is just speculation.

humanoid
03-26-2010, 12:37 PM
The best thing I took from that link was the ridiculous notion that reducing unchecked population growth in an effort to not outgrow earth's finite resources and capacity for the inevitable accompanying waste, is somehow akin to Nazism.

lunatic core
03-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Ah yes. Well I hate NIN so I guess that's why it didn't come to mind. But seriously, that's only one.

Tool sucks.

What the fuck is wrong with you people...

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-26-2010, 01:10 PM
This thread was really enjoyable until all the haters started bitching like someone kicked them in the vagina.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 01:11 PM
The best thing I took from that link was the ridiculous notion that reducing unchecked population growth in an effort to not outgrow earth's finite resources and capacity for the inevitable accompanying waste, is somehow akin to Nazism.

It's ridiculous that you took something Murdoc said seriously.

lunatic core
03-26-2010, 01:13 PM
I love that people don't like this album because it is a concept album full of collaborations.
Its a collaboration concept band. Demon Days was a concept album. The original album is basically a concept album (about a cartoon band) that spawned sequals.

TommyboyUNM
03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
This thread was really enjoyable until all the haters started bitching like someone kicked them in the vagina.

And you're certainly adding quality thoughts to the discussion.

Please exit my thread.

humanoid
03-26-2010, 01:16 PM

If you like something, don't worry about what others think of it. Complaining about dissenting opinions could be the trait of one kicked in the vagina as well.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 01:16 PM

It's nice to know you were enjoying the thread, but if you can't take a little discussion defending the worth of the album then you are you the one with the vagina.

The best part about the whole thing is that it was prompted by a sleepy kitten posted in another thread...

suxjuZUwsy8

humanoid
03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
It's ridiculous that you took something Murdoc said seriously.

De La Soul apparently take Murdoc seriously, as they reference him as if he's a real person.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
De La Soul apparently take Murdoc seriously, as they reference him as if he's a real person.

They have to, it's part of the Gorillaz act. It's just like Damon pretending he just produced the album.

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
schtick.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Rage, I highly suggest you click on this link: http://www.dose.ca/contests/gorillaz/contest.html

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-26-2010, 03:12 PM
It's nice to know you were enjoying the thread, but if you can't take a little discussion defending the worth of the album then you are you the one with the vagina.

It's not that I hate the discussion, but, I've been coming here to see new videos and info on the show. This thread is my Gorillaz fix.But lately all the posts seem to be bitching about the album. I thought we had reached an agreement that this album kicks ass.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Well then... Here is a little melodica action during "Broken" from last night's show:

lHSG9FBbYa4

higgybaby23
03-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Well then... Here is a little melodica action during "Broken" from last night's show:

I affectionatley call their first album the "melodica album". Augustus Pablo agrees with me.

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
damn the spoilers.

sin213
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Rage, I highly suggest you click on this link: http://www.dose.ca/contests/gorillaz/contest.html

damn...wish i hadn't slacked on getting my passport submitted. if i had mine by now, i'd enter. probably won't have it by the end of April though. :(

get on it rage!! one of us boardies has to win it! :D

crazzz2007
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM

oh great. thanks for clearing that up. now the album sounds a lot better.

crazzz2007
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I really like this description.

figures you would

crazzz2007
03-26-2010, 03:37 PM
I love that people don't like this album because it is a concept album full of collaborations.
Its a collaboration concept band. Demon Days was a concept album. The original album is basically a concept album (about a cartoon band) that spawned sequals.

you're stupider than a fucking rock.

lunatic core
03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
you're stupider than a fucking rock.A good point backed up by solid evidence and a compelling argument. You win 1 internet.

Please use it to plug your leaky vagina.

braundiggity
03-26-2010, 03:47 PM
See, I don't give a shit how people are interpreting the song (or the album). If it doesn't come from Damon, Jamie, or De La Soul than it's just interpretations. I'm going to shift through Damon's interview to see if I can find anything. There is also a part of the documentary where De La Soul are talking about their lyrics, but I don't remember if it included anything particularly insightful.

Frankly, I don't get why Damon, Jamie, or De La Soul's opinions matter any more than anyone else's. What matters is how you individually interpret something. Once art is out for public consumption, it can be interpreted however the fuck a person wants to interpret it. If the artist feels it's being widely and wildly misinterpreted, it's probably a failure on their part.

You can't have the artist answering all your questions on every album you hear, and a piece should stand on its own without the need for Q&A's to clear things up. I think it's neat to see what the intent was, but the result (as with one's opinion of the music itself) is entirely a matter of personal interpretation. Which is why there's a debate here about its message at all.

bluemamba
03-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Please exit my thread.

Am i missing something here?

braundiggity
03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought we had reached an agreement that this album kicks ass.

We did reach that agreement. There are just a couple people choosing to be exceptions to the rule. I, for one, can't wait to be welcomed to the world of the plastic beach on Sunday night.

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-26-2010, 03:50 PM
A good point backed up by solid evidence and a compelling argument. You win 1 internet.

Please use it to plug your leaky vagina.

oh shit haha

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Frankly, I don't get why Damon, Jamie, or De La Soul's opinions matter any more than anyone else's. .

It matters because they are the artists... Most of the people trying to interpret the meaning are just dumbasses whose opinions and thoughts I do not care about.

braundiggity
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
It matters because they are the artists... Most of the people trying to interpret the meaning are just dumbasses whose opinions and thoughts I do not care about.

I guess my point being, if someone comes up with an explanation that you agree with (as some people agreed with Frozen Pilgrim's interpretation of the canned beats), is that not as good as hearing what Damon says? As long as you agree with it, what does it matter where it comes from?

amyzzz
03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
A good point backed up by solid evidence and a compelling argument. You win 1 internet.

Please use it to plug your leaky butthole.fixed. misogynist assholes.

BlackSwan
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I guess my point being, if someone comes up with an explanation that you agree with (as some people agreed with Frozen Pilgrim's interpretation of the canned beats), is that not as good as hearing what Damon says? As long as you agree with it, what does it matter where it comes from?

In the end, Frozen Pilgrim's interpretation is incorrect. Damon has an affinity for canned beats and casio sounds that isn't exclusive to this album. Just listen to his Democrazy demos, or Gorillaz b-sides, and there are hints of it in the first two albums as well.

rage patton
03-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Done. I can enter once a day too. I will try to remember to do so until the day I leave for Coachella.

ArcadeParade
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I entered too, thanks for the link!

condenser
03-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know if Plastic Beach will come out on vinyl? I searched and found no news.

rage patton
03-26-2010, 06:57 PM
I entered too, thanks for the link!

Dammit! I was hoping no one else in Canada would find out about this contest...

StubbADubb
03-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Too late

,: D

ArcadeParade
03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Acquired!

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/480/nme1.th.jpg

I don't have this yet, but I did just pick up the Q cover...finally!

hawkingvsreeve
03-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I've been going through the album again and I think I've figured out what my main problem with it is. Keep in mind this just what I hear, and certainly is not what you hear.

Anyway. It's the collaborations that feel out of place to me. Snoop is unsettling, Bobby Womack is distracting, Lou Reed is lazy and Mark Smith is irritating. I have a hard time with the tracks that these guys are on because they all feel very forced. I love Stylo and have played it to death, but every time Bobby shows up I cringe. I also enjoy Some Kind of Nature quite a bit but Lou really kills the track for me. He just sounds so bored and forced that his vocal track becomes my focal point and I get pulled out of the song and album. I think that is why tracks like Rhinestone Eyes, On Melancholy Hill (even though it sounds like a Coldplay b-side) and Broken work well. You don't have to worry about the non band members butting in. The Demon Days guests work well. I'm not a Happy Mondays fan and sort of despise Shaun Ryder but on Dare I think he works. Dennis Hopper works. I don't know. I guess I want a Gorillaz album that is mainly Gorillaz.

Still-ill
03-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Mark Smith says what... two phrases?

TallGuyCM
03-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Brandon, have you heard The Raven? Lou Reed has sounded like that for years, it's not just that song. He's almost getting to the point where he sounds like Johnny Cash did toward the end of his life.

suprefan
03-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Theres 40 million people in Cansda, I think the odds werent in your favor to begin with.

TallGuyCM
03-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Theres 40 million people in Cansda, I think the odds werent in your favor to begin with.

He's right, Cansda is a big place.

pezGato
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
The Demon Days guests work well.
i agree. the collaborations seemed more natural.

braundiggity
03-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Anyway. It's the collaborations that feel out of place to me. Snoop is unsettling, Bobby Womack is distracting, Lou Reed is lazy and Mark Smith is irritating. I have a hard time with the tracks that these guys are on because they all feel very forced. I love Stylo and have played it to death, but every time Bobby shows up I cringe. I also enjoy Some Kind of Nature quite a bit but Lou really kills the track for me. He just sounds so bored and forced that his vocal track becomes my focal point and I get pulled out of the song and album. I think that is why tracks like Rhinestone Eyes, On Melancholy Hill (even though it sounds like a Coldplay b-side) and Broken work well. You don't have to worry about the non band members butting in. The Demon Days guests work well. I'm not a Happy Mondays fan and sort of despise Shaun Ryder but on Dare I think he works. Dennis Hopper works. I don't know. I guess I want a Gorillaz album that is mainly Gorillaz.

I understand this. While I liked it the first time I listened to it, the collaborations also felt a little jarring. But after listening to it a few times, getting accustomed to those vocal/instrumental combinations, I think they all work extremely well. They're different and unexpected, but I think that makes it really interesting. And Lou Reed sounds like he's about to break down, which is amazing.

I don't think any of them are as strange of a choice as Dennis Hopper, personally. But that's awesome.

crazzz2007
03-27-2010, 03:42 AM

The point, you fucking idiot, is that no matter how many times you say "concept album" in one sentence, Plastic Beach is at best an above average album. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. Why the fuck do you keep say "concept album" over and over again?

lunatic core
03-27-2010, 09:25 AM
The point, you fucking idiot, is that no matter how many times you say "concept album" in one sentence, Plastic Beach is at best an above average album. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. Why the fuck do you keep say "concept album" over and over again?

Somebody bitched that it was a concept album. I was pointing out how obviously stupid it was to expect something different.

lunatic core
03-27-2010, 09:36 AM
I've been going through the album again and I think I've figured out what my main problem with it is. Keep in mind this just what I hear, and certainly is not what you hear.

Oddly enough the only song I dislike is the (mostly?) instrumental Glitter Freeze.

BlackSwan
03-27-2010, 11:02 AM
ZOMGWTFBBQXGAMESPENGUINS!!!

Birmingham Irish Centre 26th March:

Setlist: Orchestral Intro / Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach / Last Living Souls / O Green World / On Melancholy Hill / Kids With Guns / Stylo / Rhinestone Eyes / Broken / Dirty Harry / White Flag / Superfast Jellyfish / Glitter Freeze / Empire Ants / DARE / El Manana / Don't Get Lost In Heaven / Demon Days // To Binge / Feel Good Inc / Clint Eastwood

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj259/sunjuju/IMG_0209.jpg

Grant
03-27-2010, 11:04 AM
YES!!!!!

ficklecycle
03-27-2010, 11:09 AM
REJOICE!

lunatic core
03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
That playlist seems to have an odd flow. It needs a heavy chunk of Plastic Beach after "Welcome", then maybe the second half they start going back and forth between albums. Big fan favorite finish. Going from welcome to last souls seems exceptionally odd.

GnarVee
03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
like they wouldn't play it......

cmon guys....YOUR BETTER THAN THAT!

oh well made my Caturday that much better.

sin213
03-27-2010, 12:02 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/popgim/kool-aid-guy-1.gif

schavira
03-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Replacing Some Kind of Nature with Empire Ants is great. I'm pretty sure the Coachella audience would find it almost laughable if they used pre-recorded tracks instead of having everybody show up live.

TallGuyCM
03-27-2010, 02:39 PM
My favorite Family Guy scene of all-time, sin.

clumsy342
03-27-2010, 02:46 PM
whoa..
really bad quality.. but LOUD

MxGiTJbE-dQ

captncrzy
03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Fuck, that's a great setlist.

schavira
03-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Somebody bitched that it was a concept album. I was pointing out how obviously stupid it was to expect something different.

I wouldn't really call Plastic Beach a concept album. The only unifying concept is the 'beach' that comes up in maybe 4 songs. Demon Days on the other hand I would definitely consider a concept album, between the sheer amount of crossfades and reprises throughout the album.

lunatic core
03-27-2010, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't really call Plastic Beach a concept album. The only unifying concept is the 'beach' that comes up in maybe 4 songs. Demon Days on the other hand I would definitely consider a concept album, between the sheer amount of crossfades and reprises throughout the album.

Seems like most of the songs follow the same theme either lyrically or aesthetically.

Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach
White Flag (Various beach references)
Rhinestone Eyes (beach references)
Stylo (I really have zero idea what this song is about,)
Superfast Jellyfish (obvious)
Empire Ants (one whale reference, but the nature theme is thick)
Glitter Freeze (Apparently the glitter freeze is a place north of the beach possibly freezing.. the live vid features the pirate boat in a storm)
Some Kind Of Nature (?)
On Melancholy Hill (Various beach and plastic references)
Broken (references the glitter freeze and diving deep)
Sweepstakes (?)
Plastic Beach
To Binge (sea reference)
(theres also a beach sounds transition here)
Cloud Of Unknowing (sea reference)
Pirate Jet (Obvious?)

Boourns
03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Fuck yes empire ants!

citizenerased
03-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Asked in the other thread but I'll try to get a response here: is there a chance they can coordinate with Del to play Clint Eastwood at the same time and do a video broadcast at Coachella?

suprefan
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Asked in the other thread but I'll try to get a response here: is there a chance they can coordinate with Del to play Clint Eastwood at the same time and do a video broadcast at Coachella?

No.

BlackSwan
03-28-2010, 11:58 AM
"Empire Ants" video from last night:

n4YWFXAg1LQ

Hannahrain
03-28-2010, 12:05 PM
I feel like in the distant future when you build the face you'd like your baby to have as an adult onto an onscreen model before insemination, the blank Caucasian starter male is going to look just like Damon.

schavira
03-28-2010, 12:14 PM

The lag from that would make it near impossible. I have no clue why he's not playing with them; this is without a doubt their biggest tour and the exposure it would give him would be much more beneficial than, say, the show in Canada he's playing on the same day as Coachella. Damon would probably pay him more too.

BlackSwan
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM

See? This is the kind of stuff I am talking about...

Seems like most of the songs follow the same theme either lyrically or aesthetically.

Glitter Freeze (Apparently the glitter freeze is a place north of the beach possibly freezing.. the live vid features the pirate boat in a storm)
Some Kind Of Nature (?)
Sweepstakes (?)
Plastic Beach
To Binge (sea reference)
Pirate Jet (Obvious?)

If you want to know what's actually going on just watch the first couple minutes of this...

zmekuGPbVrw

0:38...

kWkFK3v4POc

Coachella Bound
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Some Kind Of Nature (?)
Sweepstakes (?)
Plastic Beach
To Binge (sea reference)
Pirate Jet (Obvious?)

im not trying to be an ass but please tell me this is a joke, correct...?

Solid
03-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Which part of it are you hoping is a 'joke'? There are only a couple songs that DONT reference the plastic beach/electric power theme that is throughout the whole damn album. Read the lyrics if you don't believe it

lunatic core
03-28-2010, 09:26 PM
I went through the entire album methodically. It's not as tightly glued to a single concept as some albums, but it definitely pops up consistantly.

lunatic core
03-29-2010, 12:20 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Island

Spiral Island Iwas a floating artificial island in a lagoon near Puerto Aventuras, on the Caribbean coast of Mexico south of Cancún. It was built by British eco-pioneer Richart (or "Rishi") Sowa beginning in 1998; he filled nets with empty discarded plastic bottles to support a structure of plywood and bamboo, on which he poured sand and planted numerous plants, including mangroves

ErikFlyingV
03-29-2010, 12:39 AM
If you go up on a steep hill and look North from here, with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the concept - that place where the idea finally worked and rolled back.

condenser
03-29-2010, 01:19 AM
I think the sonic textures sound like something that would come from a plastic beach

Cdawg751
03-29-2010, 01:20 AM
This set is pretty much Ape SHit. I CaNNoT wait!!!

i know im nit-picking but i just kinda wish there were some more songs from 'Gorillaz'
It'd Be epic if they did Re-Hash, Sound Check, & Even 19-2000 WOULD BE INSANE. Even Rock The House with Del not being there, I'm convinced that'll still be awesome even with pre-recorded Vocals as Evidence from the Clint Eastwood video @ Wedge Rooms. (I'd even settle for Jamal Grey.) And to put a bow on it all end it the show with "Pirate Jet" or "Hong Kong" After "Feel Good Inc." with a crazy Clint Eastwood Encore.

=

Jizz, everywhere.
I can dream can't i? :)

Speaking of Which, looks like Del doesn't mind busting out CE as of recent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq-xSveMiT8

crazzz2007
03-29-2010, 01:23 AM
you people are all fuking retarded.

WhyTheLongFace
03-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Am I late?
http://cdn.complex.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/covers_weekly.jpg
I saw the interview in here but not the cover

FoxeyLady
03-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I can't decide which cover gives me bigger wood...

sbessiso
03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
wow tommy sure has a lot of sand in his vag

amyzzz
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
The sand from the Plastic Beach doesn't agree with him....

TommyboyUNM
03-29-2010, 02:19 PM

I actually made for some pretty insightful discussion, Sal. Mind your business when adults are discussing music matters.

Aurgasm
03-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Tommy? noooooo

TommyboyUNM
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Tommy? noooooo

Why the fuck are you so obsessed with me? Turn the page, buddy.

BlackSwan
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Forza just wants you to love him... Is that too much to ask?

Aurgasm
03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
asserting that you're a dickhead is hardly an obsession.

and I aint your buddy, guy. Page turned.

sbessiso
03-29-2010, 02:59 PM
I actually made for some pretty insightful discussion, Sal. Mind your business when adults are discussing music matters.

you've made your opinions heard over and over and over again already. myself and the rest of the board understand that youre not interested. cant you just call it a day?

TommyboyUNM
03-29-2010, 03:04 PM
You don't understand why I chose to come to this thread. Context. It helps.

hawkingvsreeve
03-29-2010, 03:05 PM
you've made your opinions heard over and over and over again already. myself and the rest of the board understand that youre not interested. cant you just call it a day?

Uhhhhhh.....

The Killers
Beck
Jack White
Bonnaroo

J~$$$$
03-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Slap him in his mouth Tommy! Scratch his face!

dorkfish
03-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Gorillaz at Coachella spoiler:
http://www.myspace.com/vanessafreebairnsmith

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-30-2010, 12:17 AM
I see what you did there.

dorkfish
03-30-2010, 12:20 AM
If you go to the link, think about it, and then fill in the blanks with your mind, this Gorillaz show is going to be quite the ordeal to witness.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-30-2010, 12:21 AM
If you go to the link, think about it, and then fill in the blanks with your mind, this Gorillaz show is going to be quite the ordeal to witness.

Oh I came to this conclusion ages ago. Sounds like the amount of instruments and musicians on stage are going to put Prince and Roger Waters to shame.

psycobetabuckdown
03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Are Mick Jones and Paul Simonon confirmed?

vinylmartyr
03-30-2010, 05:23 PM
I think so.

sin213
03-30-2010, 05:24 PM
it's not like you'll be able to see them. they'll be behind screens or backstage.

GrossMagic
03-30-2010, 05:25 PM
it's not like you'll be able to see them. they'll be behind screens or backstage.

not true.

sin213
03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
why do you say that?

ficklecycle
03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't think they'll be backstage. Maybe behind a screen, or just dimmed lights on them, but backstage, highly doubt it.

sin213
03-30-2010, 05:43 PM
well, depends on how much space they need "on" stage, if there is an orchestra or somethin. not literally backstage...but back a ways and not in front of screens.

they won't be visible though...unless they come out afterwards.

condenser
03-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Damon says they aren't performing behind a screen anymore here (http://img715.imageshack.us/i/frontmen2.jpg/)

Any ideas on what the stage set up will be?

sin213
03-30-2010, 05:48 PM
more than any of our heads will be able to hold in.

mind explosions all over the polo fields!!

and not sure how it would work to see the band out playing when the whole concept is the cartoon characters are the band members...

GrossMagic
03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
You obviously haven't seen Live Demon Days...

ficklecycle
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
My girlfriend bought me the "Experience Edition" of PB today. I don't know if anyone wants me to post the booklet here, if anyone hasn't seen it.

sin213
03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
You obviously haven't seen Live Demon Days...

seen it many times. i wasn't counting silhouettes on colored screens as "seeing the band".

Pat24
03-30-2010, 05:59 PM
My girlfriend bought me the "Experience Edition" of PB today. I don't know if anyone wants me to post the booklet here, if anyone hasn't seen it.

Speaking of which, did the live webcast details or whatever get announced yet?

ficklecycle
03-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Access to a Gorillaz Live Stream
Details to be announced

That's all it says on the site. Some cool wallpapers and screensavers though.

suprefan
03-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Gorillaz at Coachella spoiler:

wooo!

Pat24
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
That's all it says on the site. Some cool wallpapers and screensavers though.

I wonder if it'll just end up being their Coachella set.

suprefan
03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
coachella is webcating ya know.

crazzz2007
03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
more than any of our heads will be able to hold in.

mind explosions all over the polo fields!!

and not sure how it would work to see the band out playing when the whole concept is the cartoon characters are the band members...

shut the fuck up damnit. will you retards stop talking about concepts???

BlackSwan
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Their manager also said they wouldn't be performing behind screens this time.

FoxeyLady
03-30-2010, 08:09 PM
I have a feeling it's just gonna be an awesome band, with awesome musicians, playing awesome music, in front of some awesome visuals. Basically... it will be awesome.

Think Kraftwerk on steroids.

suprefan
03-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Kraftwerk on steroids would be 4 guys floating in the air playing electronic music, with even better visuals.

this is going to be a lot different than that, and with strings.

FoxeyLady
03-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Strings were implied when I said "awesome musicians". When I mentioned Kraftwerk I was simply referencing that there would be super cool visuals... take it however you want.

crazzz2007
03-31-2010, 02:17 AM
Think Kraftwerk on steroids.

this tells me you have no idea what you're talking about. please refrain from talking out of ass. thanks.

GnarVee
04-01-2010, 01:58 AM
http://gorillaz.com/escapetoplasticbeach

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 09:11 AM
GRAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

After a smashing start in the UK, the Gorillaz band will continue their trek on the road to Coachella with G-Club exclusive rehearsal dates in the US:

4/10 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
4/12 - Chicago, IL @ Double Door
4/14 - San Francisco, CA @ Bimbo's 365
4/16 - Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey

The shows will feature the Gorillaz band plus guests including Bashy, De La Soul, Kano, Mos Def, National Orchestra for Arabic Music, Gruff Rhys, Shaun Ryder, and Bobby Womack. With songs taken from right across Gorillaz' back catalogue, these rehearsal dates will include Gorillaz production, featuring animation, artwork and film. Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 7.30am Friday 2nd April to G-Club members.

shakermaker113
04-01-2010, 09:12 AM
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKCIUFICKC

shakermaker113
04-01-2010, 09:13 AM
wait. april fools?

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 09:14 AM
That wouldn't be funny at all. I already have paperless Atoms of Peace tickets!!! AHHH!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-01-2010, 09:17 AM
well fuck me sideways.

shakermaker113
04-01-2010, 09:17 AM
ARGH!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
isn't bimbos like really tiny?

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
All the venues are really tiny. These shows are going to be crazy.

Aurgasm
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
might have to get a g-club membership...

how much will these tix cost?

GnarVee
04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
4/14 - San Francisco, CA @ Bimbo's 365

FUCKING AWESOME VENUE.

TOTALLY THERE.

whynotsmile99
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Bobby Womack for Coachella is all win.

the Gorillaz video game on their website is pretty fun too

unknown
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Wow.

shakermaker113
04-01-2010, 09:28 AM
I just got the g-club email. YES. the SF date is perfect.

Aurgasm
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
I just got the g-club email. YES. the SF date is perfect.

I'm going to try and make it. how much you think the ticket will cost?

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I just logged into my account and the tickets are $40 for all the dates.

Aurgasm
04-01-2010, 09:37 AM
I just logged into my account and the tickets are $40 for all the dates.

Awesome. that's reasonable..espescially in the face of Conflict Sunday.

remind me, what did g-club membership total out at? I remember seeing 29.99 sterling at the gorillaz website..

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I think it's still $38. Oh wait, that ended at the end of March. I don't know how much it is now.

higgybaby23
04-01-2010, 09:41 AM
The band should be a well oiled machine by the time they play Coachella.

Aurgasm
04-01-2010, 09:42 AM
I think it's still $38. Oh wait, that ended at the end of March. I don't know how much it is now.

46.38 now.. hmm

I wonder what the total amount of tickets a single g-club member can purchase

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I think I just might have to eat the cash I spent on those Thom Yorke tickets.

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I wonder what the total amount of tickets a single g-club member can purchase

It says two.

Aurgasm
04-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I think I just might have to eat the cash I spent on those Thom Yorke tickets.

there's no option to turn them into paper tix?

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 09:45 AM
That's why the call it paperless ticketing, buddy.

shakermaker113
04-01-2010, 09:46 AM
there's no option to turn them into paper tix?

think about the carbon footprint of doing that!

Aurgasm
04-01-2010, 09:48 AM
That's why the call it paperless ticketing, buddy.

touche

think about the carbon footprint of doing that!

enormous!

psycobetabuckdown
04-01-2010, 10:00 AM
shit dude

Aurgasm
04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm looking for a G-club member who is willing to pick up a ticket to the SF show for me. Can paypal, give you cash in hand...whatever works!

8^) Thank you!!!

ficklecycle
04-01-2010, 10:16 AM
GOD FUCKING SHIT DAMMIT. WHY MUST LA BE ON THE 16TH?!

Looks like the ol mighty Greyhound might be doing me a kindness...

rage patton
04-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Mother. Fuckers.

Of course I am seeing Faith No More that night in San Fran.

Oh well. At least we know which special guests will be appearing at Coachella.

ficklecycle
04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
these rehearsal dates will include Gorillaz production, featuring animation, artwork and film

I did not even notice that, holy crap.

sin213
04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Mother. Fuckers.

Of course I am seeing Faith No More that night in San Fran.

Oh well. At least we know which special guests will be appearing at Coachella.

i'm with you on that one rage. I still stick by the FNM choice though, even though its a tough call...i'll see gorillaz at coach and any other US dates they wanna announce.

Mr. Dylanja
04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Wasn't their production supposed to be huge? How are they fitting it into these tiny venues?

Hicks
04-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, not a G-Club member so I'm wondering if there are any additional dates besides Coachella and Bimbo's that have been announced so far.

Thanks!

rage patton
04-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Wasn't their production supposed to be huge? How are they fitting it into these tiny venues?

That is what I was about to say...

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a feeling it's just going to be the animation for the most part so they can't rehearse how it will link it up with the live music. No one ever said the production was going to be huge... That is just something people assumed.

Mr. Dylanja
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't there a mention of ninety foot screens in an interview?

BlackSwan
04-01-2010, 11:29 AM
You mean the interview with Murdoc?