PDA

View Full Version : Disco Inferno: The 5 EPs--So good...

nothingman00
05-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, having listened to two albums by these guys some years back, I remember being intrigued but underwhelmed. The band name is not in any way indicative of this band's sound. Another board I frequent was raving about this collection of 5 EPs by the band that I had pretty much written off after hearing their proper albums. Holy fuck, this is absolutely crazy good music and, considering there is no way to either purchase these EPs on CD or Vinyl (if you find otherwise, please PM me) or itunes, I figured I'd post a dl link over here. Also, since this is a comp that was put together, I'd doubt the band would mind. To read more about the EPs, do a quick google search and you'll find a couple good reads. I've linked to one review and one blogfan below.

The EPs are as follows:
1) Summer's Last Sound is tracks 1 & 2
2) A Rock to Cling To is 3-4
3) The Last Dance is 5-8
4) Second Language is 9-12
5) It's a Kid's World is 13-15

Summer's Last Sound and The Last Dance are the two that I keep going back to, but the title track off "It's a Kid's World" is just insanely good and ahead of its time (these were recorded in the early-mid 90's).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZZX4XZJI

A primer: http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/seconds/disco-inferno-the-five-eps.htm

A blog with dl links in higher quality and good writeups: http://icoulddietomorrow.blogspot.com/search?q=disco+inferno

Hopefuly even those of you that reply with nothing but snark will take a chance to listen to this... This shit's just brilliant. I'm sure a few people have heard these and can vouch for their quality. I was late to the game discovering these and hope to at least give others the chance to listen...

nothingman00
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Nobody even downloaded this and gave it a chance?

bballarl
05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I have heard of this group and meant to listen for awhile. I will check them out tonight.

fatbastard
05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Same here.

SoulDischarge
05-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I like Go Pop but I haven't listened to the EPs all that much. Maybe I'll do it after my obligatory NMH listen.

nothingman00
05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
I really think the three of you are in for a treat. The first two tracks off of Summer's Last Sound are just superb. The highlight is "The Long Dance"/"The Last Dance" (songs 4 and 6, I believe---one is just a longer, better version of the other). "It's a Kid's World" is track 13, I think. It's really difficult to classify this music, other than to say it's astoundingly ahead of its time. I had listened to Technicolour and DI Go Pop, and despite the critical success of the latter, hadn't really been overly impressed with either. But holy shit, these EPs snuck up on me and absolutely have changed the way I listen to music (at least for now). Allmusic mentions the Durutti Column guitar-work, which is something I would've never associated with the DI stuff I had heard previously, but is certainly apparent on many of the EP tracks. Very rarely do I feel the need to post music in an attempt to shed light on newness to a board that is already awash in musical knowledge, but I figured that there may be a few others that have either slept on this band based on their studio albums or simply hadn't heard of them. Another thing, the lyrics are fucking devastating on some of these tracks (notably, the Summer's Last Sound/Last Dance tracks). I haven't been this blown away by old music in forever. And SoulDischarge, I can't blame you for wanting a NMH fix. I hadn't listened to any E6 bands in awhile and just threw on Live at Jittery Joe's. Even the baby screams during "Two Headed Boy" seem soothing and perfect for the moment.

I'm honestly anxious to hear what you all think so please report back with any thoughts afterword. And if any of you know how to locate any of these on vinyl, please PM me.

Pixiessp
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kkoB6tPygv0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kkoB6tPygv0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

All That I Am
05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
i'm dling now and will give these a listen on the way to work. thanks for sharing

bmack86
05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
I've never cared for the studio albums but I'll give this a listen.

nothingman00
05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I've never cared for the studio albums but I'll give this a listen.

How goes it bmack? I agree with you on the studio albums. I actually liked Technicolour better than DI Go Pop, FWIW, and now that I've heard the EPs I'm anxious to relisten to the studios once my obsession with The 5 EPs dies down.

nothingman00
05-13-2009, 11:45 AM
http://soundopinions.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4649

This was the thread that turned me on to these EPs. For those that are curious, there's some good comments about these things...

bballarl
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
The 5 EPs. The 3 EPs. Creative British groups. Respect.

bmack86
05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
These are wickedly good.

Al & Mel
05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow, been a long time since I've heard anyone talk about Disco Inferno. A mate gave me a copy of In Debt in the early 90's that I think is a compilation (not sure, please help) that I really liked and influenced me in my junior music days. Never really heard much more about them (early 90's in Western Australia, camels were still the main transportation link from the east) so excited to hear about these 5 EP's. As mentioned in one if the links in the original post Bark Psychosis were another band in the same genre/time that are worth checking out. I still have and listen to Hex and Independency as they were doing something unique for that time that many have replicated so worth listening to.

Al

bballarl
05-14-2009, 12:07 AM
This stuff is light years ahead of its' time. Wow.

bmack86
05-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Reminds me quite a bit of This Heat in theory and practice. In a very good way.

nothingman00
05-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Al & Mel--In Debt is an early comp of DI's, or rather, a comp of their early work. I don't have that album but just dl'd it. Looking forward to listening. I want to say that Bark Psychosis was the side project of one of the DI guys. Fantastic stuff.

bmack and Andrew- I thought these would be right up you guys' respective alleys. There are certain tracks that are simply gorgeous, others are just assaults on your eardrums...

I'll be reporting back as I listen to a few suggestions...

P.S. I went to the allmusic page and it was DI's original keyboardist that was in Bark Psychosis. Also looked at the music lineage: AR Kane anyone? Great shit... I need to listen to Amon Duul II.

bmack86
05-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Tanz Der Lemming. I prefer that one to Yeti.

bballarl
05-14-2009, 10:31 AM
A.R. Kane were another band that were ahead of their time. Great tunes.

fatbastard
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Just read the Blogglegum blog about this group. So they are from the 1990ís huh? This could have come out last week for all I could tell you. It doesnít appear to be dated in any way. The article tells me a little bit about a couple of the songs but does not mention anything about the members. Where these guys today?

CommentsÖ

Summerís Last Sound Ė I enjoyed the birds chirping and water sounds during this song. This song initial reminded me of William Orbitís Water from a Vine Leaf. The singer has a British accent that reminds me of a mellow Mike Skinner from the Streets. Iím at the 4:32 mark and it sounds like the crescendo is the rap and nature sound. OK, this has my attention.

Love Stepping out Ė OK, Iím getting an Orbital theme here. Itís that type of groove thatís subtle, but then it goes under your skin and into your blood stream. I am listening and taking it all of the sounds in.

From The Devil To The Deep Blue Sea Ė Start of song was very sudden, as if it was in mid-song. Guitar sound reminds me of Marty Piperís work. Actually, this song could pass for a Church song. I enjoy the guitar playing while keeping that echo sound in the background. Itís the little sounds that are starting to make this listen in general quite enjoyable.

A Rock to Cling to Ė Wow. It has a rhythm to it but no drums. The different pianos and keyboards has me imagining them floating in space with the bright lights of the stars glowing on them. Listening to the sounds in this song reminds me of that You Tube from another thread where a 3-piece band is performing in a studio and the keyboardist/lead singer swings around and starts picking up and dropping stuff to make odd sounds to accompany the song.

The Last Dance Ė I donít like the beginning of this song. Itís not until after 1 minute that you realize that itís the same group. Not as cosmic as the first songs. The guitar sounds on this track is definitely The Cure sounding in a happy/poppy kind of way. I enjoy how the vocals and the overall sound remain equal. In almost every song so far, you get a good balance vocal and sound without on stepping on top of the other.

D. I. Go Pop Ė This must be this bandís holocaust. Half of the song sounds like itís being played backwards. The song of the drums in this song is actually a backwards-sounding loop that sounds like Sonic Youth. I initially didnít like this song but after a few listens, it actually fits in the theme of the other songs.

The Long Dance - A shift from ambient/obscure sounding songs, to an 80ís sounding track with a dance beat. It sounds poppy but it does not come off as fun and bubbly. Itís a different sound from the previous tracks but overall maintains the feel of melancholy.

Scattered Showers Ė Hate to keep comparing but songs always remind me of other songs. This one reminds me of Bauhausís Exquisite Corpse. It has taken me somewhere. Iím just sitting there, not quite sure where Iím at, but itís an interesting place. This is my favorite so far.

Second Language Ė The lead vocalistís fits so well with the sound of this band. I donít think one could survive without the other. Love the guitar and keyboard work on this track but not a fan of whatever drum/whip is being used as drums. Itís not like itís ruining the song as a result of it, itís just my own personal opinion.

The Atheistís Burden Ė Jesus, now theyíre just killing me. The label on the RAR said ď5 EPísĒ, so Iíll assume that these songs are from oldest to newest. You can tell the shift in style from the few tracks until this song. I enjoyed the initial tracks but /this change is for the better. Better for my preference and for the bandís advancement as a group.

At the End of the Line Ė The dream continues. Itís quiet in the house right now except for this song. I feel like someone is giving my brain a long and relaxing rubdown. Iím smiling and enjoying my time with this song. Not thinking of anything else.

A Little Something Ė This one does not work/transition so well. The lead vocalist comes off a bit too Belle & Sebastian on this one for me (not in a good way). The loop of a beer/drink being poured is really irritating.

Itís a Kidís World Ė Lust for Life drum beats right? The kid TV loops could are irritating me. How about a spooky carousal song (if one exists)? It would gel better with the array of songs layed out before this track. Anyone ever hear Pink Martiniís version of quť sera sera? Fucking spooky.

A Night on the Tiles Ė Uh, what the fuck is this? Memphis Mini meets NWAís Straight Outta Compton? Worse songÖever.

Lost in Fog Ė Had to chew this last one down. I can see how the last 2 songs have the same DNA as the other tracks but they were not my favorites at all.

Thanks for sharing. I was entertained and am interested in knowing more about this band. I'll have to check out the You Tube's tomorrow at work.