PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Thom Yorke and Radiohead

shotglass75
05-09-2009, 06:26 PM
So I just smoked the good shit and I'm flipping through the channels and David Gilmore live in concert appears on Palladia. Shine on You Crazy Diamond is the song that they are starting into. I'm pulled in. So I start to think about how David Gilmore can sell out massive stadiums around the world. He was in Floyd. Roger Waters can sell out massive stadiums around the world. He was in Floyd. Both sang Floyd songs.

Could the same be for Thom Yorke if Radiohead ever ended? Would he be the type of artists that if he did do a "solo" career would he continue doing huge live shows with amazing lights and visuals and just some backup players? Could he actually do it? Or would he just be a solo guy with a guitar?

What would Johnny Greenwood do?
Would Ed O'Brien go the route of Krist Novoselic?

Seriously though what if Radiohead broke up?

JustSteve
05-09-2009, 06:28 PM
radiohead broke up! yes!

oh, it was a "what if"...damn.

shotglass75
05-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Let's move on from the last post

JustSteve
05-09-2009, 06:31 PM
fuck thom and his shitty dancing and moaning?

bmack86
05-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Default music thread

JustSteve
05-09-2009, 06:34 PM
that's where thom belongs, mixed in with all the other shit...

TommyboyUNM
05-09-2009, 06:38 PM
This was productive. Good work.

suprefan
05-09-2009, 06:40 PM
You obviously never saw the story on how management suggested them to break up before In Rainbows was released, story surfaced this week btw. Anyway, Thom would just keep working o whatever stuff he wanted, more Eraser kinds of things. Doesnt seem like the type of person who would go and do some big tour with visuals and keep making money off songs he made in the band he used to be in. Jonny already has a nice future doing scores for movies and composing music for symphonies. Phil acually does some more stuff on the side than Ed, he can sing and play guitar and has played some things by himself with some other people in a band but its not like some big deal. Who knows what Colin would do.

menikmati
05-09-2009, 07:08 PM

Ed is gonna become active in politics, write a book, join ex sublime members to form a band then break up, get a pilots license, become a local DJ for a small radio station, reside in rural Washington, and help out with farmers markets every weekend? That's cool.

Cdubby
05-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Who knows what Colin would do.

sell off all material possessions and walk into the alaskan wilderness.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
to answer your question...no...Thom, Jonny or Ed would not do what Gilmour and Waters have done...remember...Pink Floyd broke up because of egos...and went on because of their egos...Roger felt he WAS Pink Floyd and could go on without them...Gilmour to prove a point...wanted PF to going on without Waters...both were very successful...Radiohead would never splinter off like that....ever...

Wheres the beef?
05-09-2009, 08:18 PM
You obviously never saw the story on how management suggested them to break up before In Rainbows was released, story surfaced this week btw. Anyway, Thom would just keep working o whatever stuff he wanted, more Eraser kinds of things. Doesnt seem like the type of person who would go and do some big tour with visuals and keep making money off songs he made in the band he used to be in. Jonny already has a nice future doing scores for movies and composing music for symphonies. Phil acually does some more stuff on the side than Ed, he can sing and play guitar and has played some things by himself with some other people in a band but its not like some big deal. Who knows what Colin would do.

Not everyone is an obsessive fanboy like you are. :rolleyes

shotglass75
05-09-2009, 08:36 PM

I saw the story. Don't remember them saying anything about what they would have done.

shotglass75
05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
to answer your question...no...Thom, Jonny or Ed would not do what Gilmour and Waters have done...remember...Pink Floyd broke up because of egos...and went on because of their egos...Roger felt he WAS Pink Floyd and could go on without them...Gilmour to prove a point...wanted PF to going on with Waters...both were very successful...Radiohead would never splinter off like that....ever...

Best response yet folks. Gold star.

brando4n82
05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
So I just smoked the good shit and I'm flipping through the channels and David Gilmore live in concert appears on Palladia. Shine on You Crazy Diamond is the song that they are starting into. I'm pulled in. So I start to think about how David Gilmore can sell out massive stadiums around the world. He was in Floyd. Roger Waters can sell out massive stadiums around the world. He was in Floyd. Both sang Floyd songs.

Could the same be for Thom Yorke if Radiohead ever ended? Would he be the type of artists that if he did do a "solo" career would he continue doing huge live shows with amazing lights and visuals and just some backup players? Could he actually do it? Or would he just be a solo guy with a guitar?

What would Johnny Greenwood do?

Seriously though what if Radiohead broke up?

yeah, your thought process definately osunds like you smoekd the good shit =)

suprefan
05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I saw the story. Don't remember them saying anything about what they would have done.

They probably fired the guy for making it public and have no response.

Not everyone is an obsessive fanboy like you are. :rolleyes

Look at you Toolboy.

BlackSwan
05-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Hating on Radiohead is retarded.

Monklish
05-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I think he might, probably not quite as large of venues as Gilmour though. But then again, if Radiohead broke up and Thom released another solo album or whatever and went on tour, you gotta think he'd be throwing a couple Radiohead songs to the crowd just because I think they all have a lot of respect for the NEED of their fans to hear their music live. If all of them went off and refused to play any Radiohead songs at their shows, well, that would be lame.

As he got older, maybe there would be more Radiohead shit in the sets.

JSam67
05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
That story this week really scared the hell out of me. A world without the potential of new music or live shows from Radiohead isn't something I'd ever pondered.

I really don't think they'd be the type to reform at, say, a Coachella 2025 either, so I just hope they keep going, no matter how slow the pace between albums.

Aurgasm
05-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Ed is gonna become active in politics, write a book, join ex sublime members to form a band then break up, get a pilots license, become a local DJ for a small radio station, reside in rural Washington, and help out with farmers markets every weekend? That's cool.

anal often?

amyzzz
05-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I think he might, probably not quite as large of venues as Gilmour though. But then again, if Radiohead broke up and Thom released another solo album or whatever and went on tour, you gotta think he'd be throwing a couple Radiohead songs to the crowd just because I think they all have a lot of respect for the NEED of their fans to hear their music live. If all of them went off and refused to play any Radiohead songs at their shows, well, that would be lame.

I somewhat agree with this, although I err on the side of RH never breaking up. They seem to fit together so well and value each other's opinions so well that I don't think it will happen.

PotVsKtl
05-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Thread is creepy.

TallGuyCM
05-10-2009, 03:31 PM
The one thing I think Radiohead will not do is call themselves "Radiohead" just to make money without all of the members. That really bugs me when that happens...i.e. the whole Pink Floyd thing, Blind Melon without Shannon, the rumored Sublime reunion without Brad, etc. Even Journey with that new Philippino kid, you shouldn't use the band name if you don't have at least the original lead singer and guitarist.

But since Thom does play a good amount of guitar, I can picture him playing solo shows in the future at venues like the Wiltern, and playing mainly his own songs but throwing in songs like "Street Spirit" and "Paranoid Android" that he could do with just him and his acoustic anyways.

Come to think of it, just like what Eddie Vedder did on his tour last year.

suprefan
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Thom hates to fly btw....

cormaic
05-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Coincidentally, this is what is recently making David Byrne more awesome. But replace radiohead with talking heads.

boarderwoozel3
05-10-2009, 03:40 PM
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/Advice-Thom-Yorke-I-hate-Suprefan.jpg

Jon Blazed
05-10-2009, 03:43 PM
win

jdaws
05-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Hating on Radiohead is retarded.

what if it's being done to restore the balance?

victhebrick21
05-10-2009, 11:19 PM
The one thing I think Radiohead will not do is call themselves "Radiohead" just to make money without all of the members. That really bugs me when that happens...i.e. the whole Pink Floyd thing, Blind Melon without Shannon, the rumored Sublime reunion without Brad, etc. Even Journey with that new Philippino kid, you shouldn't use the band name if you don't have at least the original lead singer and guitarist.

But since Thom does play a good amount of guitar, I can picture him playing solo shows in the future at venues like the Wiltern, and playing mainly his own songs but throwing in songs like "Street Spirit" and "Paranoid Android" that he could do with just him and his acoustic anyways.

Come to think of it, just like what Eddie Vedder did on his tour last year.

How would Thom perform Paranoid Android by himself.

I could understand Street Spirit and other acoustic ballads

bballarl
05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
How would Thom perform Paranoid Android by himself.

A guitar and his voice. Just like he did at the Bridge School Benefit in 2002.

dorkfish
05-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I was there. It's possible.

Monklish
05-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Why are we assuming Thom Yorke would be touring without any backing band?

TomAz
05-11-2009, 06:55 AM
I wonder if Daft Punk broke up, would they each tour separately in their robot suits in a little mini-pyramid, or what.

shotglass75
05-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Start a new thread if you are going to ask stupid questions Tom.

sbessiso
05-11-2009, 06:56 AM
I wonder if Daft Punk broke up, would they each tour separately in their robot suits in a little mini-pyramid, or what.

oh man.

Someone please sig this

bartelby
05-11-2009, 07:09 AM

glorious

t2zwKH4g2xE

TallGuyCM
05-11-2009, 09:32 AM
So suprefan's just short of 20,000 posts............should he get some kind of award? A giant douche perhaps? Or maybe a cyber stud prize of some kind?

BlackSwan
05-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I think those are actually the same thing.

Principal Onyx Blackman
05-11-2009, 09:37 AM
So suprefan's just short of 20,000 posts............should he get some kind of award? A giant douche perhaps? Or maybe a cyber stud prize of some kind?

That douche bag synonymous with Radiohead?

victhebrick21
05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
glorious

t2zwKH4g2xE

Only Thom can bust an acoustic version out of such a rocking song!!

Gogolicious
05-22-2009, 08:08 PM

They can do this because they have sold the second most albums of all time by a rock band behind only the Beatles. ;) They can do this because they changed how we see concerts today and revolutionalized live rock. There are many factors that go into why they can pull it off at this advanced stage of their career.