PDA

View Full Version : the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

SDsoldier7
05-09-2009, 11:52 AM
can someone give me the low down on MBV. i dont follow that type of music, so im not really knowing about them. but after seeing that performance, i am a definate believer in this band. what was that performance they did? was it lke a constant set or what? i was blown away, and ive never seen anything like that. please share your knowledge. thanks!

Still-ill
05-09-2009, 11:56 AM
can someone give me the low down on MBV. i dont follow that type of music, so im not really knowing about them. but after seeing that performance, i am a definate believer in this band. what was that performance they did? was it lke a constant set or what? i was blown away, and ive never seen anything like that. please share your knowledge. thanks!

I'm confused on what you want from this post... although I am surprised you liked the performance without ever hearing a single thing from them...

Just buy Loveless, Isn't anything, and the Glider EP. (for more info look below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bloody_Valentine_(band)

boarderwoozel3
05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Attain Loveless by MBV.

That show seems to be pretty indicative of what they usually do live.

Drewski27
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
they are known for having bloody sex with peoples eardrums. in a loud sexy way.

Cheddar's Cousin
05-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I understand they are loud...strangely I can't hear what they are saying.

JebusLives
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
"Loveless" is the album equivalent of what you saw. Just remember to listen with it cranked up, because it really loses its magic when relegated to ambient volume levels.

One of my favorite albums ever; I've listened hundreds of times and still can't think of anything i would change.

SDsoldier7
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM
"Loveless" is the album equivalent of what you saw. Just remember to listen with it cranked up, because it really loses its magic when relegated to ambient volume levels.

One of my favorite albums ever; I've listened hundreds of times and still can't think of anything i would change.

thanks!

M Sparks
05-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Attain Loveless by MBV.

That's going to take years of practice. He should just buy the CD and listen to it first.

psycobetabuckdown
05-17-2009, 06:51 PM
That's going to take years of practice. He should just buy the CD and listen to it first.

http://www.icanhasforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/star-wars-anonymous-rebel-pilot-sees-what-u-did-there.jpg

Cheddar's Cousin
05-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Okay

Listened to Loveless the other day...really loud.

All I can say is, "I don't get it."

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Okay

Listened to Loveless the other day...really loud.

All I can say is, "I don't get it."

I'm sorry for you then. Though I must say, it's normally a pretty instant hit with people OR they never get into it.

Principal Onyx Blackman
05-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I didn't see what the big deal was.

DRcube
05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry for you then. Though I must say, it's normally a pretty instant hit with people OR they never get into it.

nope...i listened to a couple tracks off loveless, and thought it was pretty weak, but then after a while i just kept on my ipod and tracks always came up on shuffle so they grew on me that way...now they are one of my favorite bands

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 07:15 PM
nope...i listened to a couple tracks off loveless, and thought it was pretty weak, but then after a while i just kept on my ipod and tracks always came up on shuffle so they grew on me that way...now they are one of my favorite bands

you sir, are an isolated incident...

DRcube
05-18-2009, 07:36 PM

dont get mad cause i pooped on your theory :)

Still-ill
05-18-2009, 07:42 PM
dont get mad cause i pooped on your theory :)

Well it doesn't change the fact that pooped on it :nono

:lool

JebusLives
05-19-2009, 12:50 PM

I have a few friends who feel the same way. I instantly loved it, but the noise has to grow on some people.

Cheddar, the album should evoke a feeling of numbness and warm isolation. I feel like i'm being washed away by waves of guitar noise. The disconnected, sleepy vocals contribute to this sensation. I don't particularly hear or listen for individual songs, and there aren't really any hooks to speak of that stand out. Its just like a comforting noise blanket.

If you still don't get it, that's cool. They aren't for everyone.

Still-ill
05-19-2009, 01:08 PM
^
True.

But I have to disagree about the absence of hooks. Many of those songs have great melodies. That's one of the many things that sets MBV apart from many of the other shoegazers.

ldobbie
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
MBV are pretty melodic, i think. Even a song like To Here Knows When has a lot going on underneath the surface, the way the violin melody keeps on changing behind the noise.

if not instrumental then usually the lyrics are tuneful as well, good example i think being Moon Song even though that's a fairly "weird" track even for them, the guitar is little more than just noise bursts the whole track but Kevin's singing is beautiful, imo.

SDsoldier7
05-19-2009, 02:59 PM
i had to look into them after seeing that show

crazzz2007
05-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I have a few friends who feel the same way. I instantly loved it, but the noise has to grow on some people.

Cheddar, the album should evoke a feeling of numbness and warm isolation. I feel like i'm being washed away by waves of guitar noise. The disconnected, sleepy vocals contribute to this sensation. I don't particularly hear or listen for individual songs, and there aren't really any hooks to speak of that stand out. Its just like a comforting noise blanket.

If you still don't get it, that's cool. They aren't for everyone.

a comforting noise blanket? that's ridiculous. maybe you should pop back into your momma's womb.

hendrixfan143
05-19-2009, 03:41 PM
the first time I heard What You Want i was sold.

JebusLives
05-19-2009, 08:01 PM
maybe you should pop back into your momma's womb.

well that was random

edit: holy shit! Not so random after all... I just checked your post history. A 3700+ post troll! Good lord... you must be bored.

bmack86
05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
MBV are pretty melodic, i think. Even a song like To Here Knows When has a lot going on underneath the surface, the way the violin melody keeps on changing behind the noise.

if not instrumental then usually the lyrics are tuneful as well, good example i think being Moon Song even though that's a fairly "weird" track even for them, the guitar is little more than just noise bursts the whole track but Kevin's singing is beautiful, imo.

Wanna hear something wild? That's no violin. It's just guitars doing things that guitars don't normally do. The 33 1/3 (if you've not heard of these, they're a book series where people write about specific albums) on that album is great.

Geno_g
05-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah that's just guitar, it's an SX 190 effect, MBV are gear whores, kevin's effects alone are crazy and he doesn't bring even half of them with him on tour...

ldobbie
05-19-2009, 11:11 PM
really? i'd always assumed it was just sampling as if i recall correctly, the majority of the drums on that album are sampled as well.

Still-ill
05-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Kevin doesn't use very many effects in the studio... at least not on Lovess. He has an assload for his live show just to recreate that sound. Most of it is mic placement and onboard effects through the mixing desk and his rig. Thats what he claims in many of his interviews.
I have some sources that i'll upload to mediafire. Though I dont think Kevin is completely trustworthy in interviews, he seems to spite being labeled and will disagree with any notions people pin on him. He doesn't even consider MBV shoegaze (although he makes some good points).

Kevin Shields interview (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nbj0z5ydfhx)

Still-ill
05-19-2009, 11:18 PM
really? i'd always assumed it was just sampling as if i recall correctly, the majority of the drums on that album are sampled as well.

Yeah Colm was really sick and homeless, and even when he drummed it wasn't the full track just recording loops.

bmack86
05-20-2009, 12:16 AM
He was so ill for most of the album that he only played on one full track. However, the drum loops are all taken from his playing.

Monishakoirala
05-23-2009, 08:13 AM
This is the TV trailer for Patrick Lussier's My Bloody Valentine 3-D, starring ... Hollywood 411 hit the red carpet for Spike TV Scream 2008 Awards to check