PDA

View Full Version : How much money did Budgetchella make

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 01:01 PM
this year? have the figures been released?

hopefully its enough to cover last years loss and get back to producing coachella lineups we all have come to know and love over the years.

kitt kat
05-05-2009, 01:19 PM
i heard it was the third highest grossing one

BlackSwan
05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Second-highest attendence ever = $$$

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
2nd highest doesn't mean much when it has only gone to 3 days 3 times. so they are claiming this years attendence beat 2008? interesting. seemed very dead to me for the killers and the cure.

i'm sure they can fudge the numbers to reflect what they need to. the real test will be how next years lineup looks. if it looks more like the budgetchella of this year, we will know they didn't do as well as they hoped again.

SoulDischarge
05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Are we still going on about this shit in fucking May?

Courtney
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
i'm sure they can fudge the numbers to reflect what they need to. the real test will be how next years lineup looks. if it looks more like the budgetchella of this year, we will know they didn't do as well as they hoped again.

Even if revenue went down (less people attended), they could still have increased profit as long as their expenses also went down (less big name headliners). It is quite possible that deciding to bring in less well-known musicians could actually be the profit-maximizing decision and have very little to do with the festival's lack of success in the previous year.

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 01:48 PM
fucking may? who? when? the festival was just a few weeks ago. have they released the numbers, mr. discharge? i haven't seen them yet. wait...do they release the numbers each year? also, will you be gracing us with your presence at lolla? someone needs to keep the dance party going well into the morning again.

greghead
05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
seemed very dead to me for the killers and the cure.

That's probably because the Killers were billed against the Chemical Brothers et al. Well that, and the fact that their music is terrible.

The Cure? I don't know, I didn't watch them. But Friday and Saturday seemed packed to me.

SoulDischarge
05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Disparaging remarks against the lineup is what I was referring to. I'm can't afford Lolla since I'm planning on Bonnaroo, Pitchfork, and ATP. I have no doubt MJA will be raving all night though.

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
you will be missed at the rooftop afterparty, discharge.

greg, i popped into the chems, but figured that the land of the lost was always that crowded for their headliner.

psychic friend
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
again.. cant force bands to be available/agree to play for the dates of coachella.. I don't think line up is a real reflection of whatever point is trying to be made since it comes out to availability and other factors people not working here probably wouldnt think about.

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
maybe i am wording it wrong. i feel that the past lineups have spoiled us. last years lineup, which i thought was fine, wasn't as grand as the previous years. yes, that is my worthless opinion, but one i feel was shared by many.

D, if you could settle an issue i was having with a friend....when an artist signs on for such festivals as coachella, are there stipulations in the contract that say they cannot play other certain festivals that year?

SoulDischarge
05-05-2009, 02:13 PM

Did I meet you at the one last year?

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Did I meet you at the one last year?

yes, the one that wouldn't stop after radhead was our doing. don't worry, i didn't introduce myself in fightclub terms, so you wouldn't have known either way.

TommyboyUNM
05-05-2009, 02:29 PM
again.. cant force bands to be available/agree to play for the dates of coachella.. I don't think line up is a real reflection of whatever point is trying to be made since it comes out to availability and other factors people not working here probably wouldnt think about.

Thank you! This is the point I try to make every now and then in this here message board. Sometimes people act as though music festival promoters have access to any artist in the world.

Wheres the beef?
05-05-2009, 02:35 PM
2nd highest doesn't mean much when it has only gone to 3 days 3 times. so they are claiming this years attendence beat 2008? interesting. seemed very dead to me for the killers and the cure.

You were at The Killers and The Cure? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 02:44 PM
if you tried half as hard in life as you do on this forum, kingsblend, you would most likely have a job.

menikmati
05-05-2009, 02:55 PM

uh wow...this is stupid.

BROKENDOLL
05-05-2009, 03:04 PM

God, you're a dick.
This was the 2nd highest grossing Coachella dumbfuck. And, considering the economy being in shit shape, I consider that pretty damned good.
Oh, wait...You wouldn't understand what good is if you were at the Killers and The Cure, would you?

fucking may? who? when? the festival was just a few weeks ago. have they released the numbers, mr. discharge? i haven't seen them yet. wait...do they release the numbers each year? also, will you be gracing us with your presence at lolla? someone needs to keep the dance party going well into the morning again.
Speaking of discharges, can I ask where the fuck you come from, ShyGuy75? I'm thinking like maybe an anal drip or some shit like that...And, as far as the numbers go? Unless you're Paul Tollett, I really don't think it's for you to know, is it?

greg, i popped into the chems, but figured that the land of the lost was always that crowded for their headliner.
This comes from someone who wants to keep the dance party going until morning, and then chooses The Killers and The Cure over the Chems and the land of the lost...Just stating the facts, ShyGuy75...

You were at The Killers and The Cure? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Just as well, kingsblend420...Who wants to dance with an asshole like that?

Gribbz
05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I thought it was genius how he titled it "budgetchella."

BROKENDOLL
05-05-2009, 03:06 PM
With due respect to those of you who chose to follow the Killers and The Cure...no hard feelings...You can't all be fucktards...I know this.

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
menik, a real GV employee already commented, but i appreciate your blind loyalty and all you do here.

if you care to explain why u think my comment is so dumb i would like to hear it. unless you are going to tell me that the same amount of money was spent on this lineup as was in the previous two years. i have had enough laughs for today.

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 03:16 PM
can someone inform VD that i, along with 90% of this board, don't read what it posts. yes, i understand that it was most likely sucking on a pacifier in the sahara tent all weekend, hoping that someone would come acknowledge it, and wouldn't know good rock music even if it came in the form of a shiny new meth pipe.

Suffacated
05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I thought it was genius how he titled it "budgetchella."

I thought this was the Budget rental car thread....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dPjni8yyP9w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dPjni8yyP9w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

gaypalmsprings
05-05-2009, 03:38 PM
a buck 380

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
With due respect to those of you who chose to follow the Killers and The Cure...no hard feelings...You can't all be fucktards...I know this.

with due respect to those of you who chose not to follow the cure, no hard feelings, you can't all be fucktards :p

i <3 watching shyguy ruffle feathers, keep on, keepin' on!

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
i really don't mean to, chairmen. some people get really upset by the truth. i can't help that.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 03:42 PM
that's what's funny though, people are so easily angered!

suprefan
05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
What truth first off. They made money plain and simple, if you feel that they didnt make enough to please you well thats your thing. Not every festival can be like Bonnaroo for example and make a ton year in and year out regardless of ''budgets''. You should factor in that Goldenvoice had a festival the very next week called Stagecoach and that pretty much sold out all 3 days so I do not see them hurting for money in any regard. Truth is, when anyones ''dream lineup'' happens its because the timing couldnt be better, right place, right time. Please see 2004 for that.

ShyGuy75
05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
What truth first off. They made money plain and simple, if you feel that they didnt make enough to please you well thats your thing. Not every festival can be like Bonnaroo for example and make a ton year in and year out regardless of ''budgets''. You should factor in that Goldenvoice had a festival the very next week called Stagecoach and that pretty much sold out all 3 days so I do not see them hurting for money in any regard. Truth is, when anyones ''dream lineup'' happens its because the timing couldnt be better, right place, right time. Please see 2004 for that.

or you could follow along with what has been posted in the thread and try to make sense with your next post. comprehension has never been your strong suit, but you even out did yourself with that last one.

tessalasset
05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
menik, a real GV employee already commented, but i appreciate your blind loyalty and all you do here.

if you care to explain why u think my comment is so dumb i would like to hear it. unless you are going to tell me that the same amount of money was spent on this lineup as was in the previous two years. i have had enough laughs for today.

wow you obviously don't know menik.

suprefan
05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
or you could follow along with what has been posted in the thread and try to make sense with your next post. comprehension has never been your strong suit, but you even out did yourself with that last one.

What sense, this thread makes none as it is. Just following along with the example you are setting.

BROKENDOLL
05-05-2009, 04:49 PM
with due respect to those of you who chose not to follow the cure, no hard feelings, you can't all be fucktards :p

I guess once you've settled for Randy's thrills, watching someone ruffle feathers would be a kick...

BROKENDOLL
05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
What sense, this thread makes none as it is. Just following along with the example you are setting.
As far as making sense, ShyGuy's threads are worse than my posts!

JustSteve
05-05-2009, 07:06 PM
You should factor in that Goldenvoice had a festival the very next week called Stagecoach and that pretty much sold out all 3 days

it was 2 days.

JustSteve
05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
again.. cant force bands to be available/agree to play for the dates of coachella..

even i was asked if i had any suggestions for bands this year...and that was right before christmas. gives you an idea of how booking was this time around.

boarderwoozel3
05-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Losses last year? Coachella was the third highest grossing festival last year, behind The Roo and Lolla. Both of which have substantially larger capacities and the Roo has an extra day.

MarkO
05-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Unavailability of other bands was not an excuse to book the damn Killers.

PassiveTheory
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Unavailability of other bands was not an excuse to book the damn Killers.

Are you seriously going to keep on harping on this? Fucking christ, get over it.

shotglass75
05-05-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a question? What's a Nubian?

Aurgasm
05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_splGEXDSNes/SINtcmy98NI/AAAAAAAAAEk/M1EqikvLpB0/S730/idiots.jpg

Aurgasm
05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
I have a question? What's a Nubian?

wikipedia: Nubia. or Elephantine Island. sweet place. (think northern sudan)

Boourns
05-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, the Killers suck, but it's already been confirmed or strongly hinted that certain acts were pursued but declined (Bowie, Radiohead, Daft Punk, Blur). But on the other hand, there are some great undercard acts that weren't invited at all.

I imagine Coachella did very well this year. Not only was it a lot of fun and there were some great times, amazing music, and lifelong memories made (like always), but it also felt more crowded than last year. Especially Friday, which felt like a 2007 or 2006 day. McCartney probably cost around what Prince cost to book (over $2 million) and I imagine the combined cost of The Killers and The Cure is less than the million-plus for Roger Waters, if Pollstar Pro is to be believed.

rage patton
05-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes. This was definately Budgetchella. Paul McCartney, The Cure, Morrissey, Leonard Cohen and My Bloody Valentine DEFINITELY sum up to Budgetchella. Right.

Boourns
05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Whatever Leonard Cohen and MBV cost was money well spent.

Alchemy
05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
As much as I love Coachella and Goldenvoice, you guys can't deny that this wasn't a Budgetchella. Why just the other day, I paid Paul McCartney to play at my graduation party, and The Cure basically comes here for free.

When is Coachella going to kick it in gear? When will we see U2 perform on a stage of solid gold?

Still-ill
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Whatever Leonard Cohen and MBV cost was money well spent.

I applaud you. My two favorite acts of the weekend probably.

MarkO
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Are you seriously going to keep on harping on this? Fucking christ, get over it.

I do it to piss you off. YOU.

Young blood
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Coachella once again made money. Im happy we will get a 2010 festival.

BROKENDOLL
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
*Fluffing my feathers and snickering*
Shall we request a change of thread title now? Something to the effect of, "How Big of an Ass Did ShyGuy75 Make of Himself in This Thread?"

JSam67
05-05-2009, 11:21 PM

Ha, agreed, this thread is full of lulz.

Wheres the beef?
05-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah, the Killers suck, but it's already been confirmed or strongly hinted that certain acts were pursued but declined (Bowie, Radiohead, Daft Punk, Blur). But on the other hand, there are some great undercard acts that weren't invited at all.

By "strongly hinted" you mean:

Coachella Message Board Idiot #1: Daft Punk for 2009!

Coachella Message Board Idiot #2: That would be so cool!

Coachella Message Board Idiot #3: I heard that Daft Punk might tour.

Coachella Message Board Idiot #2: OMG Daft Punk is playing Coachella!

Coachella Message Board Idiot #4: YES! YES! YES! YES!

Or just read the fucking rumors thread. Pages and pages of endless unfounded speculation. And sooner or later everyone's talking about it like its fact. Then when it doesnt come true, we get the "Oh but they declined or Goldenvoice wanted to but couldn't find the money because last year was such a bust." It happens every fucking year.

PassiveTheory
05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
As much as I love Coachella and Goldenvoice, you guys can't deny that this wasn't a Budgetchella. Why just the other day, I paid Paul McCartney to play at my graduation party, and The Cure basically comes here for free.

When is Coachella going to kick it in gear? When will we see U2 perform on a stage of solid gold?

Goddamn you're on a roll. Sigged.

crazzz2007
05-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Losses last year? Coachella was the third highest grossing festival last year, behind The Roo and Lolla. Both of which have substantially larger capacities and the Roo has an extra day.

you obviously don't know the difference between gross and net.

crazzz2007
05-06-2009, 12:02 AM

fuck the killers. AND FUCK YOU ASSHOLE. i feel a lot better.

Boourns
05-06-2009, 03:34 AM
By "strongly hinted" you mean:

Coachella Message Board Idiot #1: Daft Punk for 2009!

Coachella Message Board Idiot #2: That would be so cool!

Coachella Message Board Idiot #3: I heard that Daft Punk might tour.

Coachella Message Board Idiot #2: OMG Daft Punk is playing Coachella!

Coachella Message Board Idiot #4: YES! YES! YES! YES!

Or just read the fucking rumors thread. Pages and pages of endless unfounded speculation. And sooner or later everyone's talking about it like its fact. Then when it doesnt come true, we get the "Oh but they declined or Goldenvoice wanted to but couldn't find the money because last year was such a bust." It happens every fucking year.

I heard for Daft Punk that they aren't playing until they have new material ready. I don't think money is an object for them. Either they get a big fat paycheck prematurely or they get the same check when they're ready.

Sigur Ros Stache
05-06-2009, 03:38 AM
all i have to say is I was stepping over people all weekend. It was far from empty and I was hoping for a less than capacity crowd...I got a big amount of FAIL on my prediction.

Boourns
05-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Seriously. Nearly everything I saw had a huge crowd, except Glass Candy and Throbbing Gristle. And can't forget that 40 minute queue to enter on Friday.

ShyGuy75
05-06-2009, 08:12 AM
wow the internet is a crazy place

BROKENDOLL
05-06-2009, 09:02 AM
wow the internet is a crazy place
Oh, look! A miracle! The little wires touched upstairs...amazing!

PassiveTheory
05-06-2009, 09:13 AM
fuck the killers. AND FUCK YOU ASSHOLE. i feel a lot better.

No you don't. You're like a perpetual canker sore, you never feel better.

ShyGuy75
05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
a perpetual canker sore

stop with that language! you're giving brokendoll a boner.

beavington
05-06-2009, 03:02 PM

hmm it didnt look that empty to me for either of those bands.

matsuolost
05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
what a shit thread

BROKENDOLL
05-06-2009, 09:30 PM
stop with that language! you're giving brokendoll a boner.
Passive, (Lee)
Bring on the potty mouth!!! I'd love nothing more than to continue fucking with ShyGuy75 while sportin' a boner! (He wouldn't know what hit him!) LOL

crazzz2007
05-07-2009, 10:11 PM
No you don't. You're like a perpetual canker sore, you never feel better.

look whose talking...lulz

Leeartlee
05-08-2009, 08:22 AM
GV did alright. People showed up and spent monies. All is well with the world.

/thread

Somewhat Damaged
05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Can we please stop using "chella" as a suffix? "Budgetchella," "Epichella," "Failchella," etc. Goddamnit, it all sounds fucking stupid.

ShyGuy75
05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
sounds like someone has a case of the postchella downers

Boourns
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
sounds like someone has a case of the postchella downers

Win.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Can we please stop using "chella" as a suffix? "Budgetchella," "Epichella," "Failchella," etc. Goddamnit, it all sounds fucking stupid.

wtfchella? chilloutchella! noneedtogetyourpantiesinabunchchella...

mountmccabe
05-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Carpoolchella...

Boourns
05-15-2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-05-14-summer-music-main_N.htm

Several other signs point to a healthy summer. April's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., traditionally the first big music event of the warm-weather season, had its second-biggest year to date with an aggregate three-day attendance of 160,000 people. That's up from the 151,666 who attended last year. The festival lineup boasted Paul McCartney, The Killers, My Bloody Valentine and Leonard Cohen, and 18% of the concertgoers bought tickets through a new layaway plan.

BROKENDOLL
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Considering the shape of our economy, not bad. Not bad at all. Maybe Paul Tollett should be our leader!

Boourns
05-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Carpoolchella...

The definitive list of 'chella's:
Coachella
Carpoolchella
Trainchella
Brochella
Budgetchella
Failchella
Epichella
Winchella
Mehchella
Campchella
Saharachella
Trannychella
Deadchella
Gaychella
Fuckchella
Cancella
Methchella
Dreamchella
Fauxchella
Dinochella
Frochella
Cholochella (does Coacholo count?)
Salahchella
Bonnachella
Lollachella
Glastochella
Stagecoachella

MissingPerson
05-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Fauxchella is so brilliant I think it's giving me a nosebleed.

TomAz
05-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Stagecoachella

i thought they should have called it Cowchella, myself.

sonofhal
05-20-2009, 06:38 AM
This is all leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I'd better wash it out with a nice glass of......

Valpolic(h)ella.

Principal Onyx Blackman
05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
The definitive list of 'chella's:
Coachella
Carpoolchella
Trainchella
Brochella
Budgetchella
Failchella
Epichella
Winchella
Mehchella
Campchella
Saharachella
Trannychella
Deadchella
Gaychella
Fuckchella
Cancella
Methchella
Dreamchella
Fauxchella
Dinochella
Frochella
Cholochella (does Coacholo count?)
Salahchella
Bonnachella
Lollachella
Glastochella
Stagecoachella

Turrible. Just turrible.

gaypalmsprings
05-20-2009, 08:35 AM
http://i32.tinypic.com/15xk3le.jpg

TomAz
05-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't understand why Lucinda Williams is included in that.

TommyboyUNM
05-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't understand why Lucinda Williams is included in that.

Ask this person:

http://lesbianlife.about.com/b/2007/02/17/lucinda-williams-interview.htm

I've always been a big Lucinda Williams fan. I know she's straight, but her music is so visceral, it speaks to the longing and lust so prevalent in lesbian relationships. As a matter of fact, her song "Essence" is one of my picks for Top Lesbian Make-Out songs. The woman is a songwriting genius and I always appreciate a well-crafted lyric backed up by sultry vocals. Lucinda Williams is the whole package. She recently spoke about her gay fans, her thoughts on gay marriage and an interesting (creepy) thing that happened as she performed in New Orleans.

disgustipated
05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
they left out Silversun Pickups.

summerkid
05-20-2009, 09:19 AM
talk talk is the one on there that i dont get...

Ardentbiscuit
06-26-2009, 01:44 PM
So now that AEG has to refund all of that money for the MJ concerts, is Budgetchella coming?

Just kidding!

WhyTheLongFace
06-29-2009, 01:28 AM
I don't get Ari Gold or Peaches & Herb