PDA

View Full Version : An Album per Week: An Experiment in Listening Habits

SoulDischarge
05-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Some times I feel I have trouble absorbing new (to me) music, and end up listening to the same old shit over and over again, which leaves me kind of frustrated. I have a fairly vast music collection downloaded onto my hard drive (a little over half a terrabyte) and there is a sizable chunk I know practically nothing about. Part of the problem is that I have the attention span of a 10-year old meth addict listening to a Steve Aoki set, and another part is that a lot of music takes a really long time to settle in with me; very rarely does a first listen of anything leave any kind of impression. So in the spirit of expanding my tastes and controlling my musical ADD, I've devised a minor project for myself and I want your help.

Basically, I want to immerse myself in one "important" album every week, listening to it as much as possible, with a minimum of two listens a day (but hopefully more), seven day straight. It's not very ambitious or complicated or anything, but I'm not trying to overwhelm myself, just alter my habits a little. And I'm more or less going to leave it open to the board to decide what I listen to. Of course, to prevent things from becoming too stupid, there are a few guidelines.

First, I have final veto power. If it's an album I'm already fairly familiar with, or something I've given enough chances to and know I'm not interested in, or if it's some stupid joke suggestion like Nickelback, I'm not going to do it. And try to make it a fairly substantial album that really warrants a week of study, not just some fun dance album you won't remember in a year or anything. It can be an album you think everyone should own or some criminally overlooked semi-masterpiece, just so long as it's something that's really stuck with you for some time. I have no limitations as far as genre goes, just so long as it seems like a serious suggestion. To help with that, it would be cool if you wrote a short description about WHY I should familiarize myself with whatever album you're suggesting. And don't make it some impossible to find rarity no one has ever heard of unless you're willing to send out some mp3s.

Anyone can make a suggestion, and whichever suggestion gets approval by three substantial board members (no lurkers, aliases, or fuckfaces) first wins. I'll immerse myself in it over the course of the week and post my thoughts and impressions afterward. Then we'll go through the process again, every Friday. If other people who aren't familiar with whatever album's been chosen for the week want to participate too and compare notes at the end of the week, that might make it a little more fun, like a book club except for internet music nerds. I'm expecting this to not really go anywhere and get bogged down with LOLZ posts, but it's worth a try. If you have any suggestions on how to improve this or anything, I'll take them into consideration.

I'm going to cheat this week and ask for a Wilco album because I had familiarizing myself with them in mind when I came up with this, but starting next week, I'll leave it wide open for anything.

UPDATE: I'm listening to two albums a week, one of my choosing, and one of your choosing.

Week 1:
Wilco - A Ghost Is Born C-

Week 2:
Personal choice: Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea A+
Board choice: Electrelane - The Power Out B

mountmccabe
05-01-2009, 06:50 AM
I can think of two ways to go with Wilco. Summerteeth is their best album (imo) but Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was their album that kinda broke them into the non-countrified indie scene. I mean, sure, it still has some of the country influences but they aren't quite so bold. Sure, Summerteeth is less country than their first two but it primed the field to be ready for Wilco. The real surprising thing here, though, is that YHF was a big stretch; it wasn't a cash in.

The two since have been less adventurous versions of YHF; the two before were more countrified. All are good but none really tell you all that much about the others.

My final vote is for YHF.

faxman75
05-01-2009, 06:57 AM
If you really want a feel for their live sound and a good mix of their full catalog you can also go with "kicking television: Live in Chicago"

You can't go wrong with what mountmccabe says though. YHF is a really great album.

bug on your lip
05-01-2009, 06:59 AM
listen to "I'm a Wheel" then move on

LooseAtTheZoo
05-01-2009, 07:22 AM
I've done this same thing, except it's listening to one new album, uninterrupted, no stops or pauses, once a day.

I'm at 105 right now, mixes between classics I've never heard, returning to old favorites, or festival research. I did it to broaden my musical horizons and also try and train my attention span as well.

Good luck. I went through lots of sources looking for albums

bug on your lip
05-01-2009, 08:02 AM
any albums that were pleasant surprises Gonshman?

fatbastard
05-01-2009, 08:04 AM
This is a great idea.

TommyboyUNM
05-01-2009, 08:08 AM
SD, I'll join you in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I've never heard that album and I want to really familiarize myself with Wilco before Bonnaroo. Some listens will be better than others (at work vs at home with my headphones on).

Pixiessp
05-01-2009, 09:12 AM
I am quite partial to A Ghost Is Born. That CD is phenomenal from start to finish.

wmgaretjax
05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I force myself to listen to one new album per day... on work days it ends up being something like 3.

I also recommend A Ghost Is Born, knowing your taste some, I think that album makes sense as an entry point for you.

kreutz2112
05-01-2009, 10:03 AM
I will also recommend A Ghost is Born. Sorry John. Jared is correct about its suiting to your taste.

BlackSwan
05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
For future reference, have you listened to all of Elbow's albums SD?

TallGuyCM
05-01-2009, 10:10 AM
See, I think the recent "Sky Blue Sky" is very user-friendly, and is more strikingly Wilco than some of their previous efforts. Songs like "Side with the Seeds", "Walken", and "Impossible Germany" really give a new listener a great idea of what Wilco can sound like and what they are capable of musically.

mountmccabe
05-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I also recommend A Ghost Is Born, knowing your taste some, I think that album makes sense as an entry point for you.

I will also recommend A Ghost is Born. Sorry John. Jared is correct about its suiting to your taste.

It is OK, I understand, y'all have no sense of history.

Though, to be fair, I don't know Patrick's tastes quite as well.

And, in fact, that was what I was gonna ask until I got the part where you said Wilco. What do you like. Alls I've got to go on is that mix you posted several months ago.

AlecEiffel
05-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I think this is a great idea. Something that wouldn't hurt me to do myself, actually.

It looks like Yankee Foxtrot Hotel or A Ghost Is Born is gonna win here, but personally I'd go with Summerteeth.

pancakespancakes
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I am quite partial to A Ghost Is Born. That CD is phenomenal from start to finish.

I will third this recommendation, (or fourth?), not to bombard you or anything, SD. But I still think AGIB is their finest hour, for whatever reason. You seem like you might really ejoy it.

This is an awesome idea though. I'm pretty intrigued. I need to do something like this myself.

AlecEiffel
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm surprised to see all this positive Ghost is Born talk, I was pretty disappointed in it when it came out and haven't really given it much time since. Should I go back and check it out again?

pancakespancakes
05-01-2009, 10:35 AM
YES.

Yes.

AlecEiffel
05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Ok, I think I'll dig it out tonight.

TommyboyUNM
05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Upon first listen, I like Summerteeth better than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I'm gonna have to listen to A Ghost Is Born, though.

Pixiessp
05-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm surprised to see all this positive Ghost is Born talk, I was pretty disappointed in it when it came out and haven't really given it much time since. Should I go back and check it out again?

The Pancake and the Pixie say YES

Pixiessp
05-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Upon first listen, I like Summerteeth better than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I'm gonna have to listen to A Ghost Is Born, though.

Karen O is whispering in my ear right now. :)

SoulDischarge
05-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm going with A Ghost Is Born. I'll give Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Summerteeth some attention, but those won't be my main focus. Thanks. I'll report back next Friday, along with anyone else who's joining in.

I force myself to listen to one new album per day... on work days it ends up being something like 3.

I try to do this as much as possible too, but it's part of the problem. I'll listen to an album once, not much will stick, and I'll forget about it and move on to something different the next day.

For future reference, have you listened to all of Elbow's albums SD?

I've heard their most recent 2 or 3 times and remember enjoying it, but I'm not especially familiar with their catalog.

Though, to be fair, I don't know Patrick's tastes quite as well.

And, in fact, that was what I was gonna ask until I got the part where you said Wilco. What do you like. Alls I've got to go on is that mix you posted several months ago.

Actually, I don't want my tastes to factor in too heavily. Part of what I'm hoping to get from opening this up to the board is getting the opportunity to listen to a few things I might not normally give much time towards.

LooseAtTheZoo
05-01-2009, 06:36 PM
any albums that were pleasant surprises Gonshman?

Some ones that I loved/had never heard anything by the band before/had never heard anything beyond a single song by that band are:

TV On the Radio - Dear Science
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power
Husker Du - Zen Arcade
Run-DMC - Raising Hell
Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
The Mae Shi - Hlllyh
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Bjork - Post
Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nas - Illmatic

And many, many others. I love getting suggestions (even started a similar thread on it) so if anyone wants to add something to the list, just bump my thread or pm me or whatever. It's basically guaranteed that I listen to whatever you suggest.

apostle2
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
if you're not trying to cater to tastes, then going with anything other than YHF is a mistake. when the obligatory best albums of the decade lists start coming out in a couple months, that album will consistently be in the top 20.

SoulDischarge
05-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I guess some context of taste would be beneficial in deciding what would be a good starting album for certain bands, but I don't really feel like going through an outline of what I like and don't like any time soon. Attentive posters already have a vague sense anyway. A Ghost Is Born won democratically. Hopefully it will lead me to their other albums.

TommyboyUNM
05-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I'll join you in A Ghost Is Born. I'll likely start tomorrow morning.

SoulDischarge
05-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Would you like to join me in the steam room as well?

miscorrections
05-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm disappointed you didn't choose Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. That is an Album.

SoulDischarge
05-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Blame Jared, Adam, pancakes, and Joann.

miscorrections
05-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I'll blame anyone I feel like blaming. BRB TO LISTEN TO TWEEDY CROON HE'S TRYING TO BREAK MY HEART.

TommyboyUNM
05-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Would you like to join me in the steam room as well?

Only if you let me rub your beard.

pocket
05-02-2009, 02:13 AM
ill join in the wilco discussion. if you are listening to YHF you need to find the 2 disc original demo for it, the songs that were not included on the album and the original versions were much better. if you cant find it PM me and ill upload it.

apostle2
05-02-2009, 03:09 AM
also, I'm joining in on this for all the albums that I'm not already familiar with. because it's important for people to know that.

JelloPuddingChat
05-02-2009, 03:20 AM
I agree with YHF. That is pure win.

JelloPuddingChat
05-02-2009, 03:21 AM
Also I find this experiment intriguing and personally hard to accomplish. This mainly being that so much music is already out and everyday you get a new release or leak that its hard to keep up let alone catch up.

fiyahhh!
05-02-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm glad you're absorbing A Ghost Is Born. It's one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time by any artist. When listening to Spiders (Kidsmoke), try to envision Glen Kotche trying to kill his drum kit by beating it to death.

TomAz
05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
SD - this thread is a really good thread idea.

Starting Wilco with AGIB is not such a good idea, though, in my opinion. I don't find it nearly as adventurous or creative or fun as Summerteeth or YHF. It's not bad, but it's not the greatness of those other two.

Also, for future reference, since you have asked for recommendations for classics, I suggest you seek out the greatest rock and roll album ever -- The Clash's London Calling.

mountmccabe
05-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Even with my disagreement on the final choice, A Ghost Is Born is a great album. I will listen to it at least once this week in solidarity. Though I will be skipping "Less Than You Think" and I won't look down on you if you start skipping it after the 4th or 5th time, too.

TommyboyUNM
05-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I just finished my first listen of A Ghost Is Born and I had to skip the last 7 minutes or so of "Less Than You Think." Hope you're not looking down on me right now.

Alchemy
05-02-2009, 09:46 AM
These are some albums that I feel warrant a week of listening each:

Pulp - Different Class
Suede - Coming Up
Blur - Parklife
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
Supergrass - I Should Coco
Doves - Lost Souls
Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast
Oasis - Heathen Chemistry

mountmccabe
05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I just finished my first listen of A Ghost Is Born and I had to skip the last 7 minutes or so of "Less Than You Think." Hope you're not looking down on me right now.

You're going on ignore, buddy.

fatbastard
05-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Wonder Boys just finished. TV will be turned off and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot will be played very loudly in 34 minutes.

SoulDischarge
05-02-2009, 10:41 AM
So far a few spare parts of the album are sticking (hello Krautrock inspired jams!) but most of it hasn't really sunk in yet. And for the record, I'm listening to all of "Less Than You Think." They made a choice to put that song where they did and make it as long as they did, so it deserves full consideration in terms of flow. Whether I'll feel like it was a good choice or not we'll find out at the end of the week, but it's a cop out to skip it during the initial evaluation.

I'm familiar enough with London Calling for it to make the veto list, for future reference.

thestripe
05-02-2009, 12:22 PM
So far a few spare parts of the album are sticking (hello Krautrock inspired jams!) but most of it hasn't really sunk in yet. And for the record, I'm listening to all of "Less Than You Think." They made a choice to put that song where they did and make it as long as they did, so it deserves full consideration in terms of flow. Whether I'll feel like it was a good choice or not we'll find out at the end of the week, but it's a cop out to skip it during the initial evaluation.

I'm familiar enough with London Calling for it to make the veto list, for future reference.

You went with the wrong album. YHF is the album I would recommend starting with. But for me Wilco is not a band that sticks with the first listen. You really have to take the time and absorb their albums (all of them). Wilco doesn't really sound like they did on YHF anymore so I understand the AGIB recomendation, but do yourself a favor and listen to YHF when this is all said and done. Also, Summerteeth is a GREAT album and needs to be on your queue at some point.

bballarl
05-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Summerteeth is their best album. I think it does the best job of balancing who they are at the core (a great rock band) with their more experimental impulses. To me, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot seems too careful to warrant best album status, but it is a great one.

seandlr
05-02-2009, 12:42 PM
im not a big wilco fan, but jeff tweedy doing "is that the thanks i get" (for loving you?) solo and live just blew me away when i first saw it

TommyboyUNM
05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
These are some albums that I feel warrant a week of listening each:

Pulp - Different Class
Suede - Coming Up
Blur - Parklife
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
Supergrass - I Should Coco
Doves - Lost Souls
Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast
Oasis - Heathen Chemistry

I'm barely listening to this Doves album for the first time today and it was released 9 years ago. It's been a LONG time since I thought an album was so good upon first listen. It's pretty fucking brilliant.

SD, I highly recommend this album after your Wilco immersion.

Alchemy
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm barely listening to this Doves album for the first time today and it was released 9 years ago. It's been a LONG time since I thought an album was so good upon first listen. It's pretty fucking brilliant.

SD, I highly recommend this album after your Wilco immersion.

Indeed! I listened to this album around late 2004 or early 2005, and I was completely blown away. "Darker" and "Sea Song" are what introduced me to Doves courtesy of LAUNCHcast's Britpop station.

chiapet
05-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Hrm.. I might have to give that Doves album another try.

I think this is a great idea, but have trouble actually doing it. I'm not sure I find time on a daily basis to listen to even one album, which is sad. :(

rskapcat
05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Whenever I download a new record, I try to listen to it a few times in order to absorb it (as opposed to just throwing it on my ipod and waiting for it to come up on shuffle). My ears prefer familiar stuff, so I know that I would skip the unfamiliar if I were shuffling.

amyzzz
05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I like everything I've heard by Doves.

TomAz
05-02-2009, 02:03 PM

In that case, I suggest a Kenny G album for you.

SoulDischarge
05-02-2009, 02:06 PM
And I suggest fucking yourself gently with a saxophone. VETOED.

shotglass75
05-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Not sure what your tastes are but I say go soak your brain with these if you haven't already.

Local H - "12 Angry Months"
Cloud Cult - "Feel Good Ghosts" (you won't be able to stop listening to it)
The Secret Machines - "Ten Silver Drops"
Kasabian - "Kasabian"
Midlake - "Trials Of Van Occupanther"
Sea Wolf - "Leaves in The River"
Metallica - "Death Magnetic"

rskapcat
05-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Blur - Parklife

Such a great record. "Badhead" is probably my favorite song, but I can listen to Parklife backwards & forwards without skipping anything.

fatbastard
05-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm going to cheat this week and ask for a Wilco album because I had familiarizing myself with them in mind when I came up with this, but starting next week, I'll leave it wide open for anything.

Hey SoulDischarge.

I'm very much the same as you. Attempting to listen to 1 CD a week sounds like a reasonable task. I have 2 Wilco CDs and have never listened to either one. I listened to one of them this morning. Here's my feedback for what it's worth. I would be interested in hearing your comments on this CD if you do choose to listen to it.

Iím embarrassed to say that I have owned Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for a while and about to listen to it for the first time. Itís Sunday morning and there are stacks of paper to read: Spin articles, New York Times, LA Times, Mikal Gilmore, and all kinds of other crap. Half my screen has Windows Media open and the other has Word open. Hereís my attempt to type something about each song while reading.

I am trying to break your heart-The lead singer, Jeff, has one of those cool talking/singing voices. Though the lyrics donít immediately resonate in my head, the combination of his voice, the piano strikes, and the bass were good enough to inspire me to start documenting in this format.

Kamara-Great song. If the first song was a doorbell to a door, then the second song was a walk into a foyer with a peek into the living room. I like very much when bands put an underlying link to each song. Voice tone in this song similar to Beck and lyrics remind me of Michael Stripe.

Radio Cure-Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum. Not an instant love but it reminds me of one of those Ryan Adams dark songs in between the melancholy and heart filled songs. The last minute ties everything nicely.

War on war-Great sounding song minus the wa wa petal sound. Do I hear aÖwhat are those things called that has a flute with a keyboard on them? I enjoy the piano and guitar playing on this song. My hips are shaking. I just pulled a load of whites out of the dryer and am wiggling my hips to this one.

Jesus, Etc.-Just a song that does not stand out with the exception of the slide guitar, banjo or chello?, and violin. This is my first listen so lyrics usually do not kick in for me until after 5 or more listens. I am more of a sound guy.

Ashes of American Flags-A change in Jeffís voice in this song. I would have believed someone telling me that this was on a Gomez b-side. Wait a minuteÖwhat the fuck was that ending? Hang on. Iím playing the end again. Ok, that last 50 seconds or so was quite nice. Iíll have to listen to the song again on another day to get the real feel of that one.

Heavy metal drummer- If a band could only be associated with one song, this should be it for them. I enjoyed the pace and intermingling of the instruments on this one. This is the first song that makes me want to listen and perhaps memorize the lyrics. Very fun and very dreamy. Iím replaying this one again because it brought a smile to my face for some reason.

Iím the man who loves you-The song initially does not work with the vocals then it does and vice versa with the music. Kind of like hearing two cars trying to up shift then downshift at the same time. It starts coming together at halfway. Well done. This is my second favorite song so far.

Pot kettle black-Ok, now this CD is really starting to come together quite nicely. Iíve heard the different angles that this band has to put out there. Iíve gotten a protein, a root vegetable and a starch. Iím hoping the last 2 songs are like port and cheese.

Poor places-Again with the wind machine-day in the life ending. Iím playing again to understand. Wait. Iím going back to the last 20 seconds of pot kettle black to do it right. Ok. The transition was from one song to the next was more transparent than what originally sounded like a clash of styles. Pretty song, especially at the 3:35 mark. Wait waitÖhere we go again with the feedback. This one was more more dreamy like Brian Enoís here come the warm jets.

Reservations- Our birds are the ultimate music snobs. If they start chirping to a song, I really start listening. They are chirping to this last song. The stop and change at the 4 minute mark has me anticipating whatís coming next. Birds are still chirping. AhhhÖ. That was enjoyable.

That was good CD. I initially started picking up CDs based on the book 1,000 CDs to hear before you die and this one was on it. The first listen worked perfectly with a Sunday morning on the couch.

Astrid
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
im shocked and alarmed that AGIB was selected over YHF.

yankee hotel foxtrot....that album changed my life.

listen to i am trying to break your heart coming down off of acid and you wont need a whole week. promise.

Pixiessp
05-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Well hell. I do really like AGIB. Will give Yankee Hotel Foxtrot another spin though.

victhebrick21
05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Some ones that I loved/had never heard anything by the band before/had never heard anything beyond a single song by that band are:

Husker Du - Zen Arcade
Run-DMC - Raising Hell
The Mae Shi - Hlllyh
Bjork - Post
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nas - Illmatic

And many, many others. I love getting suggestions (even started a similar thread on it) so if anyone wants to add something to the list, just bump my thread or pm me or whatever. It's basically guaranteed that I listen to whatever you suggest.

Bjork-Homogenic is much better than Post and so is Vespertine. At least for me.

If you liked Illmatic than you'll probally enjoy the Untitled album which is a bit more political.

benhur
05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
my votes are for albums that will produce unusual moods:

Third/Sister Lovers - Big Star
Closer - Joy Division
Laughing Stock - Talk Talk
Remain in Light - Talking Heads

LooseAtTheZoo
05-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Bjork-Homogenic is much better than Post and so is Vespertine. At least for me.

If you liked Illmatic than you'll probally enjoy the Untitled album which is a bit more political.

Shit, I should post the other 100ish albums I listened to. Today I got through Daft Punk - Discovery, Asobi Seksu - Citrus, and Terry Riley - In C.

Keep in mind this isn't just playing stuff on my computer while scuttling around the house. I disappear into these albums.

bug on your lip
05-04-2009, 07:16 AM

Husker Du - Zen Arcade
Run-DMC - Raising Hell
The Mae Shi - Hlllyh
Bjork - Post
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nas - Illmatic

that's a pretty fukkin good list
what is your thread called?

TallGuyCM
05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Keep in mind this isn't just playing stuff on my computer while scuttling around the house. I disappear into these albums.

If you really want to disappear into one of the most unique and complete albums you will ever hear:

MOODY BLUES - DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED

stuporfly
05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
And I suggest fucking yourself gently with a saxophone.

Do that while holding the same note for 45 minutes straight and you've got yourself something special.

I rather like Wilco, and I'm surprised that no one suggested Being There. It was the first sign that something weird and beautiful might be on the horizon for the band. I certainly don't hold it in the same artistic regard as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost is Born, but it was the album that got me into Wilco in the first place way back when.

LooseAtTheZoo
05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
that's a pretty fukkin good list
what is your thread called?

I'll bump it. I could use some new suggestions

Boourns
05-06-2009, 05:12 AM
I find myself at the point where I'd rather listen to one of my favorite songs on repeat a few times than even attempt to tackle a rarely heard (or completely unheard) album, even of artists I enjoy. Laziness? Need for guaranteed comfort? I have no idea.

SoulDischarge
05-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm looking forward to changing albums on Friday at this point.

PotVsKtl
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
A Ghost Is Born is an absolute shit choice for any of

a) Listening to for a week
b) Getting into Wilco
c) Life

wmgaretjax
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
go fix Zimbra

PotVsKtl
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
That shit's across the street, I'm not touching it.

mountmccabe
05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm looking forward to changing albums on Friday at this point.

Hahaha. Do you have any specific comments or do we have to wait until Thursday/Friday for that?

I listened yesterday but it was at work and I wasn't in the lab the entire time so I don't know if that counts. I really like "Spiders."

SoulDischarge
05-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm going to save it for Friday, but I do think the wrong choice was made for the most part.

wmgaretjax
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
That shit's across the street, I'm not touching it.

We used it at my work for the longest time... I'm so happy we switched to Exchange.

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm at the end of the first week, so it's time to lay down my thoughts on A Ghost Is Born. (In the interest in full disclosure, I forgot to listen to it yesterday, but I am listening to it now to make up for it). This album comes off as a textbook definition for mediocrity. The first couple of days, I couldn't get much of anything out of it. None of the songs were sticking. I wasn't sure if this was my fault or the album's fault, but halfway through the week I started to get a good sense of the album, and my conclusion is that the songs just aren't there. Also, the album lacks coherence. The weakest songs are all put in the first half of the album, and the two long tracks seem out of place and completely disrupt the flow. While the album is on, it's pleasant enough to listen to, but it's just not memorable. There's nothing I hate or even strongly dislike here, but there's very little I actually like either. The album is filled with nice moments and production flourishes in service of weak songs. "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" was the first thing that stood out to me, but the more I listened to it, the more I realized you can't just throw a motorik beat behind something and make it great. There's some good stuff in that song, but not enough to warrant 10 minutes. The middle section of the album is the strongest and contains the only really memorable songs on the album. "Hummingbird" is pretty catchy, and the string arrangements that burst out towards the end feel like the first true moment of excitement on the album. "Company In My Back" is the only song on the album I would throw on because I specifically wanted to hear it. The rest of the tracks in this section are above average too, but all that momentum is killed by "Less Than You Think" and its 10 minutes of drone. I like drone, a lot, but it's just so out of place here and drags everything else around it down. It would make sense as the last on the album, but it's place second to last because they obviously wanted to make the point that it's intended to be listened to as part of the album and not just skippable end-of-the-album noise, but it doesn't work as part of the album, so it's just pointless. The final song "Late Greats" is decent enough, but pretty anti-climactic. What I got from this album is the impression that Wilco are a very talented band who let their experimental tendencies get the better of them. I plan on spending some time with their other albums in hopes of hearing more of the scattered promising moments on A Ghost Is Born.

Grade: C-

Ok. After a week of listening to an album that I thought was pretty mediocre, I realized that I'm not going to be able to tolerate an album I absolutely hate for a week. So if I end up completely hating any album suggested to me after a couple of days, I reserve the right to cut the week short and dedicate my listening time to other things. Also, I realized there's way too many albums I personally want to get into, so in addition to whatever the board suggests, I'm going to choose an album of my own and write about both of them at the end of the week. I'm going to update the first post with every album I listen to and my grade for them too.

What's next?

TommyboyUNM
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Lost Souls by Doves

This was one of the albums that Alchemy suggested, so I listened to it because they are playing Sasquatch in 2 weeks. I haven't liked an album that much upon first listen in years. For my tastes it was great. It's eclectic, textured, and the lead singer has a good voice. It's 9-years old, so I have no idea why I never listened to it. I'm sure glad I did. So that's my vote.

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 09:05 AM
What's your opinion on A Ghost Is Born?

TommyboyUNM
05-08-2009, 09:11 AM
A Ghost Is Born sorta struck me as bland after a couple of more listens. I can tell why many people say it was good for the band to add Nels Cline. I bet many of those songs sound great live. There were some nice moments. You mentioned "Hummingbird" and I agree with that. It didn't get me excited and make me wonder why I haven't been listening to it for years. It didn't even prompt me to put it in semi-rotation. If I'm gonna go Wilco, I'll listen to Summerteeth or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Grade: C (The 2 Wilco albums I mentioned above are in B to B+ range for me)

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Ok. My personal selection for the week is Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. I've listened to it a few times and haven't been able to understand the Jeff-Magnum-is-a-godisms heaped upon this album and want to figure it out.

faxman75
05-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I like this thread even though you started with an album by Wilco that most Wilco fans found to be a step down when it was released but it should have been expected after Yankee Hotel Foxtrot because that's a once in a lifetime album. A ghost is born is a grower. Even the most die hard Wilco fans hated the noise at the end of Less than you think. Highlites on that album for me are At Least That's What you Said, company in my back, theologians and the late greats.

Pitchfork also gave this album a 6.6 calling it "wildly uneven".

I can't wait to see your write up next week on NMH.

TallGuyCM
05-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Ok. My personal selection for the week is Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. I've listened to it a few times and haven't been able to understand the Jeff-Magnum-is-a-godisms heaped upon this album and want to figure it out.

Same here.

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I like this thread even though you started with an album by Wilco that most Wilco fans found to be a step down when it was released but it should have been expected after Yankee Hotel Foxtrot because that's a once in a lifetime album. A ghost is born is a grower. Even the most die hard Wilco fans hated the noise at the end of Less than you think. Highlites on that album for me are At Least That's What you Said, company in my back, theologians and the late greats.

Pitchfork also gave this album a 6.6 calling it "wildly uneven".

I can't wait to see your write up next week on NMH.

Yeah. I read about 7 or 8 reviews of the album and Pitchfork is (once again) the one I agree with the most. I feel like a cliche being in accord with them all the time, but when you're right . . .

And I'm now doing two albums a week if anyone missed that; one of my own choosing (Neutral Milk Hotel this week) and one suggested by the board. So make suggestions (one per person please) or better yet, second someone else's suggestion you agree with.

PotVsKtl
05-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Lost Souls is boring too.

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Suggest something then.

TommyboyUNM
05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Patrick, I think Pot is probably in the minority with that opinion. I'm actually interested to see what he suggests.

TallGuyCM
05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Seriously.

mountmccabe
05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I second Pot's notion that Doves are boring.

How about Electrelane - The Power Out. It would provide some good contrast for In The Aeroplane Over the Sea.

LooseAtTheZoo
05-08-2009, 11:36 AM
What is your criteria for selection?
Something you've never heard at all, ever?

I suggest Boys and Girls In America - The Hold Steady

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm vetoing the Hold Steady on the basis that I've already determined I don't like them. Everything else that has been suggested is fair game.

mountmccabe
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
If I were to recommend a Craig Finn album it would be Lifter Puller's Fiestas & Fiascos but I don't think I would pair any of his work with Magnum's.

bmack86
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Second Electrelane.

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Since it's the only thing seconded and because I don't want to give you all a chance to choose something shitty, I'm going with Electrelane.

bmack86
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I seconded because I have no idea what they sound like and I think I'll trust your decision here.

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I've actually been meaning to give them a closer listen. Everything I've heard I've liked, but I still don't feel like I know them at all. I always file them under "Stereolab-alike" in my head, but I don't think that's really accurate. So perfect opportunity.

mountmccabe
05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Electrelane certainly have some Stereolab to them. I learned this when I heard Stereolab and was all, hey, that has some Electrelane to it.

They also have some Krautrock thought that is more on their basically instrumental improvy debut, Rock it to the Moon (which, oddly, always bring to mind Come On Die Young)and Axes, which is my favorite of theirs and which kind of combines the experimental side of the debut with the more developed pop song-craft of The Power Out into a rich and dynamic album.

SoulDischarge
05-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I can already tell this is going to be a good week.

pancakespancakes
05-08-2009, 05:23 PM
How about Electrelane - The Power Out.

I will third (or fourth) this reccomendation. Partly due to the strange coincidence of myself just listening to and rediscovering it but 2 days ago. I hadn't heard it in a while and it's really awesome. I will be listening to them a bit more myself in the coming weeks I think. If you enjoy Stereolab already I think it's logical that you'd enjoy Electralane a bit as well, but of course, they're a pretty separate entity in the music universe...

infiniteloop
05-09-2009, 02:45 PM
While I was more interested in the NMH option, I will bow to the recommendations of others and suggest you start listening to Electrelane ;) And no more of that skipping days isht - what kind of research are you doing here?!

For the sake of creating a list, I will give a few suggestions. I am trying to come up with a theme but I can't. Remember, the most effective way to expand your horizons is to listen to stuff you've never heard of. And if you think mix(tapes)s are out of the picture, you might want to think again.

Hi Fidelity Dub Sessions, Chap. 4
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
DJ Krush - The Message at the Depths
Burial - Untrue, Skream - Skream!, Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior
Cut Chemist - Rare Equations (PM me if you can't find it)
Faithless - Sunday 8pm
UNKLE - Psyence Fiction

Backwater
05-09-2009, 02:47 PM
LOL

HEADSTRUCK Mark, PAW guy

Fucking Pussy Bitch

TommyboyUNM
05-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm on track 8, "Oh Comely," of Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. I dig it so far. I'll post full comments later in the week.

SoulDischarge
05-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I got more out of both of these albums on first listen than I did all week with A Ghost Is Born. I really love the way Mangum sings "I love you Jesus Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist."

fatbastard
05-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Electrelane sounds good but I'll have to bow out on this one and listen to Neutral Milk Hotel. Why? Because I don't own anything by Electrelane! I'll read the commentary on this one for future music purchasing.

SoulDischarge
05-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Are you opposed to downloading?

fatbastard
05-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I’m not totally against it, unless there’s beastiality or torture.

Hold up, I was thinking of something else. No, I have no problem with downloading.

bmack86
05-09-2009, 10:16 PM
So, yeah, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. You guys are gonna have a good week.

Backwater
05-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Ok PC 2 Violence, All Your Base and others ... MF Doom fucking blows

Just sayin

chiapet
05-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Great picks for this week. I love both albums and might join you in listening to them every day just for the heck of it. ;)

JebusLives
05-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Souldischarge, I'm disappointed that you listened to the wrong advice on Wilco albums and aren't immediately checking out "Summerteeth" instead. Let me explain Wilco this way:

Summerteeth = The Bends (their best songwriting)
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot = OK Computer (their experimental masterpiece)
A Ghost Is Born = Kid A (next logical step, but the songwriting isn't up there anymore)

For both bands, I tend to lean towards their "experimental masterpieces" as far as start to finish headphone albums, but for stand-out song perfection, nothing beats Summerteeth / The Bends.

PLEASE give them another try. Honest!

SoulDischarge
05-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I stated the rules clearly in the first post. I'm letting you fuckers decide for me and you chose A Ghost Is Born. It hasn't turned me off to Wilco or anything. Even good bands have boring albums.

And there's nothing wrong with the songwriting on Kid A.

faxman75
05-11-2009, 01:57 PM
So, yeah, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. You guys are gonna have a good week.

I agree. I don't listen to this album enough and when I actually do, I wonder why I don't listen to it more often.

TomAz
05-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I stated the rules clearly in the first post. I'm letting you fuckers decide for me and you chose A Ghost Is Born.

you should change the rules, then. From now on don't listen to anyone who told you AGIB is the right place to start with Wilco. who knows where they might steer you wrong next.

faxman75
05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
you should change the rules, then. From now on don't listen to anyone who told you AGIB is the right place to start with Wilco. who knows where they might steer you wrong next.

Exactly.

Patrick, I gave my .02 but didn't want turn first week of your project into some stupid Wilco debate. You listened though and the thread wasn't derailed so that's all that's important.

sbessiso
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Im going into full scale BonnaMode. I already listened to "Born To Run" in its entirety for the first time.

Next is Summerteeth and/or Sky Blue Sky by Wilco because those are the ones I own

bmack86
05-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Summerteeth is the right choice.

TomAz
05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Summerteeth is the right choice.

Bryan is right. As usual.

TomAz
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I already listened to "Born To Run" in its entirety for the first time.

and lived to tell the tale.

PotVsKtl
05-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Summerteeth = The Bends (their best songwriting)
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot = OK Computer (their experimental masterpiece)
A Ghost Is Born = Kid A (next logical step, but the songwriting isn't up there anymore)

Bzzz.

pancakespancakes
05-11-2009, 02:46 PM
They'll be playing much more Sky Blue Sky material at Bonnaroo though... just sayin.

Summerteeth is probably the better album of the two, but I love them both so you can do no wrong on that choice.

sbessiso
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
and lived to tell the tale.

It wasnt so bad but.....

I dont really see myself listening to it much more. Its kind of cheesy isnt it?

faxman75
05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
They'll be playing much more Sky Blue Sky material at Bonnaroo though... just sayin.

Summerteeth is probably the better album of the two, but I love them both so you can do no wrong on that choice.

This all really needs to be taken to the Wilco thread. If anything we should be discussing NMH here.

mountmccabe
05-11-2009, 03:10 PM
And Electrelane.

SoulDischarge
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Exactly.

Patrick, I gave my .02 but didn't want turn first week of your project into some stupid Wilco debate. You listened though and the thread wasn't derailed so that's all that's important.

Although maybe not a good choice for beginner's Wilco, in a way it was a good choice for this thread. It's the type of album where the only way you really are going to hear its strengths and be able to separate them from the weaknesses is through dedicated listening. And if it weren't for this project, I probably wouldn't have listened to it again after the first one or two times. I'm pretty sure I'll only spin it on very rare occasions, but at least I have an opinion about it now.

mountmccabe
05-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I first heard In The Aeroplane Over the Sea whilst working a job in Tucson in 1999. My coworker/friend didn't have many albums but those he had were almost all masterpieces. A Talking Heads comp that I can't identify right now (which caused me to say "Haha, they're covering Living Colour"); Life at Folsum Prison and Lonesome Crowded West... and this one by Neutral Milk Hotel.

I heard bits and pieces of it a couple times walking around and asked about it. Or, rather, I asked about it a couple times, usually just after "King of Carrot Flowers, Pts 2-3." I wasn't sure I liked it but it was certainly compelling. At any rate Kenny finally said that I should just borrow it... and first full listen on my own and I was hooked. The imagery was rich and gorgeous, the music was wild and exciting, his voice was interesting and soooo emotive. It's the latter that really got me; the emotional weight of the album is stunning.

But yeah, I had it bad. Pretty much every fantasy sports team I had for the next year or so was a NMH lyrical reference. Kenny said that it wasn't any good but I went out and got On Avery Island anyway and loved it, too. I think it has several songs that are better than anything on Aeroplane even though Aeroplane is still the better album.

mountmccabe
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Random Electrelane story: I saw them Sept 17, 2004 at Solar Culture in Tucson, AZ. It was a great show. They covered "I'm On Fire." The club was getting warm so they had the back door open. There are railroad tracks directly behind Solar Culture and during the encore, "Oh Sombra," a train passed by. IT WAS FUCKING GORGEOUS. It meshed with the music beautifully. It didn't overpower or ruin anything, it was a positive addition.

Fast forward to May, 2005 when their third album, Axes comes out. I buy it and listen and, hey, what's that on "Gone Darker"? It's a fucking train. And it fits right in the song, it's there just as another instrument.

When I finally got the June 2005 copy of The Wire (http://www.thewire.co.uk/issues/255/) what had them on the cover and read the article they talk about that night in Tucson, and how after the show they went out and did recordings of trains and wrote a song around it what they got.

TomAz
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I first heard it a couple years ago when a number of people on this board made fun of me for not having heard it. Immediately loved Carrot Flowers Pt 1, immediately disliked Carrot Flowers Pt 2 and 3. Anyway I've grown to like it quite a bit but still don't get the Sgt Pepper bit.

And John, I think "Memories Can't Wait" is on the Sand in the Vaseline comp.

Pixiessp
05-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I will refrain from suggesting a CD in this thread.

faxman75
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM

:lool

No, Patrick was glad it was suggested. You were fine. :)

mountmccabe
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
And John, I think "Memories Can't Wait" is on the Sand in the Vaseline comp.

Yeah, but I don't think what he had was two CDs. Then again, there aren't any other options, huh.

Pixiessp
05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
:lool

No, Patrick was glad it was suggested. You were fine. :)

Thanks, Faxy. I'm feeling the love. :)

TomAz
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, but I don't think what he had was two CDs. Then again, there aren't any other options, huh.

I think there might be a "Best of".

mountmccabe
05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I think there might be a "Best of".

It came out five years too late.

TomAz
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM

awww. I'm sorry.

SoulDischarge
05-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah. Just because I don't like one album that someone suggested doesn't mean I don't welcome future suggestions. If I didn't want to open myself up to stuff I normally wouldn't listen to on my own, I wouldn't ask for recommendations. And I didn't hate the Wilco album, I was just underwhelmed.

Pixiessp
05-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Actually, I was just tested out my new keyboard.

TallGuyCM
05-11-2009, 04:54 PM
For both bands, I tend to lean towards their "experimental masterpieces" as far as start to finish headphone albums, but for stand-out song perfection, nothing beats Summerteeth / The Bends.

Very well said. I've been trying to come up with a way to explain why I like the Bends best for years, and am never able to properly defend my case. But that's exactly the train of thought I've been trying to convey.

mountmccabe
05-15-2009, 09:42 AM
I didn't get to In The Aeroplane Over the Sea during your listening period but it is queued up next for after The Milk Eyed Mender.

EDIT: I am a moron. I did listen to this earlier this week. Not that I have any problem with listening to it again.

Pixiessp
05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I have yet to listen to Neutral Milk Hotel. I must get acquainted.

SoulDischarge
05-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm a bit late with this. I was busier than usual yesterday and hungover today. But back on track.

Electrelane - The Power Out
Like I said a week ago, I had Electrelane pegged as Stereolab rip offs for awhile, but I was pretty sure that wasn't accurate (although being a Stereolab rip off isn't too bad of a place to be). After listening to The Power Out all week, it seems they have more in common with female post punk groups like Pylon. There's definitely a Stereolab influence, but for the most part Electrelane prefer to quietly rock instead of drone. The opening track, "Gone Under Sea," is probably the closest in sound to Stereolab. While not a bad track, it's an underwhelming choice for an opener and would work a lot better towards the end of the album. Fortunately, the rest of the album flows a lot better. There's nothing really revolutionary on here, just a bunch of good songs drawing from all the right influences. It's kind of a soothing listen, never getting too worked up (although a few tracks, like "On Parade" and "Going Out Again," build on some up-tempo propulsive rhythms reminiscent of krautrock and post-punk past) or too sluggish. There are a lot of nice embellishments and production elements that work well because they're incorporated into the structure of the songs, not just gimmicks tacked on. It's a pretty easy record to enjoy on first listen, and on the 20th, but it's also not something I'm going to be addicted to, as too much of it seems instantly familiar. I'm glad it was suggested, and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys indie pop with a few well established experimental influences thrown in.

B

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
While I'm not entirely sure it's the fourth best album of the 90's, as Pitchfork does, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is a great album and deserves at least a good portion of the praise it gets. The most striking thing about the album is Jeff Mangum's voice and lyrics. While there are a ton of wonderful odd instruments that pop up all over the place to supplement the songs, most everything on here would probably work just as well live with only Mangum and a guitar. And even though the songwriting is conistently strong, the most exciting moments come with certain inflections of his voice, usually when he's straining it past his rather limited range. There's something affecting about someone who isn't embarrassed to stretch their singing just past what they're capable of in order to inspire a certain emotion. "The King Of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 2," "Two Headed Boy," and "Oh Comely" stretch the farthest and end up being the highlights of the album. As good as the individual songs are, they work even better taken as a whole. The album progresses from song to song like a singular 40 minute suite, with certain themes recurring over the course of the album. Nothing seems out of place and no moment seems excessive. I can't imagine listening to the first song and not wanting to hear the whole album, even though it's kind of an exhausting listen. This is emotive bear-your-soul music, and it covers a lot of emotional ground. There are moments of almost unbearable joy and sorrow scattered across the album. Another interesting thing about the album is how the emotions come out of casually surreal passages, in both the lyrics and the instrumentation. It feels like a revisionist look at the past from a modern perspective. I've got a feeling I'll still be listening to this in a couple of years.

A+

I'll choose a new album tomorrow for my personal choice. Meanwhile, go ahead and submit your suggestions.

mountmccabe
05-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
...The most striking thing about the album is Jeff Mangum's voice and lyrics. While there are a ton of wonderful odd instruments that pop up all over the place to supplement the songs, most everything on here would probably work just as well live with only Mangum and a guitar.

This is available on Live at Jittery Joe's. Or, at least four of the tracks on Aeroplane are found on this solo live disc.

Jeff did that set in March 1997 (Aeroplane was recorded that summer) and, working mostly without a setlist, he does requests. One thing of note is that somebody requests "Jesus Christ" and he complains "that doesn't go anywhere." He decides to append "Up and Over" on to the end... and that's how these songs ended up on Aeroplane, together as "King of Carrot Flowers Pt 2-3."

At any rate, this disc is 48 minutes of just Jeff and a guitar. And a baby screaming in the background. It's quite glorious.

daftmonkey64
05-17-2009, 12:22 AM
listen to Mason Jennings

self titled album.

bmack86
05-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Patrick, I'm certain you've listened to it, but I'd like for you to consider listening to Murray Street every day next week.

SoulDischarge
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Since I haven't had any other suggestions, I'll go with Murray Street. As for my personal pick, I want to get more familiar with Meat Beat Manifesto. I know 99% pretty well, but not so much the others. Anyone have any input? I'm thinking it's between Satyricon, Subliminal Sandwich, and Actual Sounds + Voices.

wmgaretjax
05-17-2009, 05:33 PM
To switch things up a bit... I'd like to recommend something a little different... A little less song based...

Machinefabriek's Marijn is undoubtedly one of the best experimental albums of the 00s. Anyone that is fond of post-rock or ambient music will be able to latch onto it pretty quickly, even if it is a bit out there.

Might get shot down... But I figured it was worth a go.

pancakespancakes
05-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I remember you were just saying how you've had trouble getting into latter-era Sonic Youth (I think)... so I definitely think Murray Street would be an excellent jumping-in point, even if its the exact opposite side of their style to their work in the 80s. Its not immediately accessible, but then again, I'd say its more accessible than the majority of their albums.

As for MBM, my favorite album of there's is Actual Sounds + Voices, I've actually been listening to that since I was 11 years old, one of the earliest CDs I ever bought... so it's definitely a personal choice, but I still think its great. And then Satyricon is probably their most famous album.

pancakespancakes
05-17-2009, 05:37 PM
I also failed on the A Ghost is Born reccomendation too though, so I should probably keep clear of this thread, to be safe.

SoulDischarge
05-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I've been seeing you hype up that Machinefabriek album quite a bit on here and have been curious. I already have it downloaded. I do need to give Murray Street a fair shot at some point, but I'd rather focus on more unfamiliar things with this. So I'll go with Marijn. And Actual Sounds + Voices. Thanks for playing.

pancakespancakes
05-17-2009, 05:42 PM
I've also been interested in Machinefabriek for a while now thanks to Jared... but I've never found his/her/their stuff available for download, not even on itunes. Maybe I should look again...

SoulDischarge
05-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Soulseek.

wmgaretjax
05-17-2009, 05:58 PM
i'll upload the machinefabriek album in flac for anyone interested. just pm me.

wmgaretjax
05-17-2009, 05:59 PM
oh and googling "marijn rapidshare" and looking at the 4th result worked for me...

or you could go to experimentaletc.blogspot.com and search for machinefabriek (that will probably turn up a LOT of links)...

mountmccabe
05-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I need to find my copy of Subliminal Sandwich and listen again.

Though I think I will also try to listen to some machinefabriek to sort of play along.

Alchemy
05-17-2009, 08:21 PM
You need to get Parklife a listen some time. Next week? Different Class is another one. Those would be the two I recommend the most.

CrimesceneCookie
05-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Since I haven't had any other suggestions, I'll go with Murray Street. As for my personal pick, I want to get more familiar with Meat Beat Manifesto. I know 99% pretty well, but not so much the others. Anyone have any input? I'm thinking it's between Satyricon, Subliminal Sandwich, and Actual Sounds + Voices.

meat beat manifesto is one of my all time favorite bands, if not favorite.
For me, Subliminal Sandwich is a standout. Many of the tracks are very long, and on disc 2 there are some ambient soundscapes that are the stuff of dreams.
I like Satyricon equally but for different reasons, Satyricon has more fleshed out beats.
It was around the time of Satyricon that MBM's Jack Dangers was remixing & producing some interesting stuff with Consolidated and Coil. (his remix of Coil's "The Snow" will return in your subconscious in the early morning hours).
I don't have anything against Actual Sounds, but I have a heavier relationship with the other two albums. Whatever you pick will be a good time.

SoulDischarge
08-22-2009, 03:59 AM
This kind of died an undignified death. Anyway, we were having a discussion about Sonic Youth in chat and I wanted to give 00's SY more of a chance to stick with me, so I'm going to give this another shot with Murray Street. Maybe I'll continue on like before if I can focus.

khonmanrak
08-22-2009, 10:10 AM

SoulDischarge
08-22-2009, 10:11 AM
What the fuck? Spammers are getting personal.

wmgaretjax
08-22-2009, 10:13 AM
spammers have feelings too.

seandlr
03-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Would anyone mind if I took over this thread?

SoulDischarge
03-09-2010, 06:43 PM
I should start doing this again. But you're welcome to do it as well.

seandlr
03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Nice. I need a thread like this to educate myself. I was thinking of starting off with Battles' Mirrored.Then hopefully we can get some recommendations rolling in from there.

SoulDischarge
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Heh. The last time I was trying to take this seriously I was listening to Meat Beat Manifesto and Machinefabriek. I don't think I really gave the latter a fair shot as I don't really remember it at all months later. And I think I ended up falling asleep to it more than I actually consciously paid attention to it. I listen to that MBM album quite frequently these days though. I love what they do, although Jack Dangers voice doesn't do a lot for me, so I kind of prefer the tracks that are either more instrumental or let the samples do the heavy lifting as opposed to his vocals. They're not terrible and some times they work for certain songs, but they're extremely unmemorable and dated in places. But everything else he does is always pretty compelling. It's kind of amazing how he pulls together so many different genres and styles (industrial, house, techno, acid, jazz, pop, musique concrete, drum'n'bass, hip hop, etc) into such a seamless, consistent end product. Actual Sounds + Voices pulls it together a lot better than the other album I was intimately familiar with previous to this one, 99%. While there's no high points quite as manic and addictive as "Dog Star Man/Helter Skelter," and there are sections that kind of drag, I definitely think this album is stronger overall than 99%. "Prime Audio Soup" and "Acid Again" are the clear highlights. "3 Floors Above You" sounds a lot like Kraftwerk's "Numbers" gone totally haywire. There's a lot of good atmospheric tracks, and a couple pointless or meandering ones ("The Tweek" and "The Thump," respectively). With a little more focus and trimming, this could have been an A album, but I'll give it a B+.

bmack86
03-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Would you take suggestions Patrick?

If so, and if you're down with good Indie Pop stuff, I'd highly recommend spending a week with The Chills-Submarine Bells. You too, Sean. A simply fantastic record.

SoulDischarge
03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm going to give Machinefabriek another spin. And I kind of want to do a Nico album soon. But I could use some pop to counter the Machinefabriek, so sure.

Still-ill
03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I downloaded Dauw by Machinefabriek... is that a good starting place? If anyone has heard it obviously.

bmack86
03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Jared recommended that one to me, I'd assume that's probably a good place to start.

TallGuyCM
03-09-2010, 08:35 PM

If so, and if you're down with good Indie Pop stuff, I'd highly recommend spending a week with The Chills-Submarine Bells. You too, Sean. A simply fantastic record.

Suggestions are key. Let's keep this thread and the young'uns thread on the first page, huh? Easily two of the most important threads on the board.

SoulDischarge
03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
The one he recommended to me in here was Marijn, and I've enjoyed it the times I've listened to it thusfar. It's just really difficult for me to write about ambient/instrumental noise music.

seandlr
03-09-2010, 08:38 PM

Thanks. I'll make an effort to have it downloaded by tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to find it.

Still-ill
03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah I went on What.cd and just click on an album at random from 2009, and it said something in the review like Nearly one year since Dauw nailed our jaws to the floor... So I just downloaded it.

seandlr
03-23-2010, 02:46 PM
DISCLAIMER: I really haven't been listening to music the way I do now since I've joined the message boards. My tastes have really expanded since, however I'm sure I'll still make some stupid ignorant statements, so just bare with me here.

So I listened to Submarine Bells- Chills about 6 times. On the first listen, I found the record to be a bit dull and underwhelming, but after a few more listens, I really began to enjoy it (The same experience happened to me when I was listening to Can's "Tago Mago"). To me, I can really relate this album to the Cure's "Staring At the Sea." And when I say that, I don't mean the style, I'm just referring to the feeling of it, if that makes sense to anyone. Out of twelve songs, I found 3 to be really good, and he rest were just good, and I think I only found one soung I really didn't like. My favorite song overall by far was "Don't Be-Memory." IMO, that song is fucking solid and should be heard by everyone. Following that song, I also liked "Part Past Past Fiction" and "I Soar." What I really liked about "I Soar" was that flute synth sound going on. The rating I give this album is a 7.9. At times when I listen to it,I feel that rating is too high, but when I think about, I feel it deserves a higher rating. I can sense that this album was a major stepping stone for indie pop music, and I am glad it is now part of my library. Thanks bmack.

Now, considering that I have a really weak music library, can someone please recommend me another album. Thanks

SoulDischarge
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
By the way, I haven't forgotten about this. I was working on a write-up on Machinefabriek last night but got sidetracked with a rant about ambient music in general. I'll get around to finishing it and giving The Chills album it's proper due as well.

Here's some suggestions:

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus (underground hip hop)
The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace (post-punk)
Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark, Vol. 1 (industrial (sort of)/electronic)
Caetano Veloso - self titled (1968) (tropicalia)
Husker Du - Zen Arcade (hardcore punk)

wmgaretjax
03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Dauw is a good place to start, his latest full length Shuffle is different, but might also be a good introduction to his musical approach.

seandlr
03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Here's some suggestions:

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus (underground hip hop)
The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace (post-punk)
Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark, Vol. 1 (industrial (sort of)/electronic)
Caetano Veloso - self titled (1968) (tropicalia)
Husker Du - Zen Arcade (hardcore punk)

I've never really been interested in the hip-hop styles of those like EL-P and others alike. I still gave that album a listen today, and my opinion still stands on that type of hip-hop. I guess I'm still in my Rhymesayers phase. So I'll pass on that one.

I did download The Fall's - This Nation's Saving Grace, and just with the first listen I already like it. So far, these tracks stick out: Barmy, Vixen, and Petty (Thief) Lout. So I'll tackle this album for sure. And one question I've always been curious about; in music, what specifically makes something "Post-Punk"? I see this term used a lot when people review albums/songs and I've never really had a clue what they really mean by this. So if someone can explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have always wanted to try out Husker Du. Yet I've never really been fond of "Hardcore Punk." But I am eager to give it a shot. So, Is Husker Du the right place to start for Hardcore Punk?

Thanks.

and for the sake of it, I'll repost:

DISCLAIMER: I really haven't been listening to music the way I do now since I've joined the message boards. My tastes have really expanded since, however I'm sure I'll still make some stupid, ignorant statements, so just bare with me here.

bmack86
03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Husker Du isn't traditional hardcore punk. Which is to say, yes, that would be a fantastic place to start. Zen Arcade and Double Nickels on the Dime by the Minutemen were either the dual pinnacles of Hardcore or the points where hardcore stopped being whatever it was and became indie/alternative/underground. Zen Arcade is also a fucking fantastic album.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Husker Du is more post hardcore, no?

bmack86
03-23-2010, 09:13 PM
They bridge the gap. The first two records are pure hardcore records, but then at Metal Circus (an EP) they started to really develop their melodic senses. Zen Arcade is one of, if not the, first melodic hardcore albums. Not like Fucked Up do it though, they sing well, play well and generally kick the shit out of everyone else in the scene (except the Minutemen and the Meat Puppets).

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2010, 09:31 PM
i have no idea why, but it's probably been over 10 years since i've listened to Zen Arcade. Need to get a copy of that.

seandlr
03-23-2010, 10:04 PM
So, I just got Zen Arcade, can you give me a few things to watch out for as I listen to this album? AND can someone please answer my "Post-Punk" question?

And one question I've always been curious about; in music, what specifically makes something "Post-Punk"? I see this term used a lot when people review albums/songs and I've never really had a clue what they really mean by this. So if someone can explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Still-ill
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Well... a pretty basic way to look at post-punk is punk music melded with experimental music (i.e. Krautrock) or more "complex" musics. But, most importantly it still has the message and aesthetic of punk music.

bmack86
03-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Zen Arcade is a concept record about a teenager who runs away from his dysfunctional family and does all sorts of wild stuff only to wake up and realize it's a dream. The concept shit doesn't matter though. What I'd recommend is giving it a few listens before you make any calls about it. It's a long album at over 70 minutes and 23 tracks. If you get tired of the final song, that's fine. I rarely listen to it, as it's just a long instrumental that doesn't really add a ton to the album. I'd recommend the first time just going thru and experiencing it as a whole, and then the second time, focus on some of the songs that caught your attention. My guess is they will be Never Talking To You Again, Chartered Trip, Pink Turns To Blue, Turn Off the News and Whatever. Those ones have less of the overt hardcore punk sound and will be more immediately accesible. Take those and use them as a key to open up the rest of the album. Each song (barring the last track) is pretty fantastic (Yes, even Hare Krsna, the goofiness works wonders with the sequencing.)

fatbastard
03-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Listened to The Fall last night.

SoulDischarge
02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm going to start this up again. This week I'll be listening to Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come and Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden. Stay tuned.

Thisismyname
02-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Curious to see what you think of Refused. I love that album, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I discovered back in my high school days, doubt I would care for it if I were the hear it now with fresh ears.

SoulDischarge
02-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I've listened to it before, just not really intently. I see it pop up all the time as one of the best, most cohesive hardcore albums of all time.

cormaic
02-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I think I'm gonna start doing this with the stuff in the krautrock thread

SoulDischarge
02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm dropping the Refused album because two albums twice a day is just too much, especially on days I have to work. So far I'm loving the Talk Talk album though. The part where the vocals kick in on "Desire" is just complete bliss.

SoulDischarge
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Once again, I'm going to attempt this again since I have a bunch of free time on my hands. I'll be doing two albums, one selected by me and one selected by the board. I forget what rules I made about the board selected one, but I'll only be fielding serious requests.

Mr. Dylanja
06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
How about Fiona's new one or Unpatterns by SMD.

bmack86
06-20-2012, 02:22 PM
The Suicide of Western Culture by The Suicide of Western Culture.

SoulDischarge
06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
How about Fiona's new one or Unpatterns by SMD.

I actually haven't gotten around to any of Fiona's old ones but have downloaded them.

Bmack: sell me on that.

sbessiso
06-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Once again, I'm going to attempt this again since I have a bunch of free time on my hands. I'll be doing two albums, one selected by me and one selected by the board. I forget what rules I made about the board selected one, but I'll only be fielding serious requests.

Id like to join you if you want. Ditto on the free time and I wanna use the most out of ex's computer before he's out.

I already started on Fiona, and SMD sounds good.

SoulDischarge
06-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah. Anyone feel free. Anyone want to chime in on whether I do Pawn or Extraordinary Machine for Fiona?

SoulDischarge
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
To succinctly cover some stuff I never finished in the past.

The Chills album Bryan suggested was alright, but even after several listens, failed to get me very excited. Which is a shame because I fucking love "Pink Frost."

I very much enjoyed that Machinefabriek album, although I have trouble reviewing ambient albums meaningfully.

Talk Talk is fucking amazing and awe inspiring.

Refused is very good post-hardcore stuff. I should still listen to that album.

My personal pick is Nico - Desertshore.

TomAz
06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
The Chills album Bryan suggested was alright, but even after several listens, failed to get me very excited.

garsh. I love that album.

I suggest Dawn of the Dickies.

Somewhat Damaged
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah. Anyone feel free. Anyone want to chime in on whether I do Pawn or Extraordinary Machine for Fiona?

When the Pawn...

SoulDischarge
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
That's what I went with. Initial thoughts on both albums:

Desertshore: Some cool stuff here. John Cale's arrangements are pretty haunting, especially with Nico's disaffected voice over top of them. Over the course of the album, the tone ended up feeling a bit samey and it kind of dragged, but I can tell there will be a lot of nuances to unpack here as I give it repeat listens, which is exciting.

When The Pawn Hits etc.: I'm not sure this is my kind of thing. I can tell there's a lot of talent and skill at work here, but I feel like everything is at a distance. Maybe I'm just not into the girl + piano thing, because that's the part that kind of bugged me the most. There were a lot of interesting production flourishes (maybe even a bit too much going on), but the piano arrangements just didn't do a lot for me. It seems kind of showey, I guess, like someone on a stage performing a hundred yards away. Performing well, but still. Like I said, this is probably just a style of playing that doesn't automatically appeal to me, and I hope over the week the strength of the actual songs will reveal themselves and make me ignore whatever it is that's nagging me.

bmack86
06-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I actually haven't gotten around to any of Fiona's old ones but have downloaded them.

Bmack: sell me on that.

They're a spanish two piece lo-fi analog electro/noise act in the vein of Fuck Buttons, but more dance than noise. The album is just a ton of fun, gritty and big sounding.

And I can't recall which Chills I recommended, but if you love Pink Frost you should probably check out the early singles compilation Kaleidoscope World. They've gone through about 15-20 lineups, and each lineup has influenced the sound quite a bit.

And yeah, Talk Talk is fucking amazing.

SoulDischarge
06-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Cool, I'll definitely check it out. Sounds like it'd be up my alley.

The Chills album was Submarine Bells. I just didn't jive with the more bubbly stuff. But I kind of have a hard time appreciating jangle some times.

bmack86
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
They get the jangle on that one as well, but there's more edge to it. Flamethrower is a great track.

TallGuyCM
06-20-2012, 11:49 PM
My pick: Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis. Lead singer of Talk Talk, it's his lone solo album and is very much in the same vein as Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden. bmack turned me onto it awhile back and I've put it on on many a sleepy morning since. Up there with the best solo records anyone's put out, imho.

bmack86
06-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Oh and Patrick, if you haven't ever heard feedtime, they're completely up your alley. Ugly guitars, ranted vocals, crazy energy, first names. They have it all.

SoulDischarge
07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Oh, I guess I lost track of time and it's been more than a week. Anyway.

Nico - Desertshore
Although contributing to one of the most revered albums of all time, the Velvet Underground's debut, Nico seems to have a reputation amongst music geeks that portrays her as something of a joke, a hipster super model who blundered her way into the recording sessions of a great band, something like an underground Yoko Ono. Perhaps I'm imagining this conception, but she's not exactly respected in the same way Lou Reed or John Cale or anyone else in the VU generally tends to be. Yet, with Desertshore, she delivers one of the most adventurous and haunting albums to be tied with that group. There's not much here that resembles typical rock music, having much more to do with avantgarde and classical strains. John Cale's droning, spare productions act as a perfect complement to Nico's icy monotone, combining to create a truly desolate atmosphere. It actually shares a lot in common with Scott Walker's later work in terms of tone. At a half hour, it's mercifully short, preventing the bleakness from becoming too overwhelming. Even at that length, it begins to feel a little samey in the middle. There are also a few parts that come off as excessively esoteric ("Le Petit Chevalier" is a little over a minute of a child singing in French over a harpsichord). Still, at it's best, it's a very powerful record. Opener "Janitor Of Lunacy," supposedly about Nico's affair with Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, although you wouldn't know it from the almost comically grim lyrics, sets the tone for the album, melodramatic yet chilling. Both that track and the one that follows, "The Falconer," feature darkly droning organ over which Nico's voice soars, sounding stark and lonely. There is some variety to the album, though: "Afraid" is a piano ballad that resembles the singers work on The Velvet Underground & Nico more than anything else here and is the most traditionally pretty song on the album, while "My Only Child" is mostly just Nico and a small choir. Desertshore ends with probably its strongest song, "All That Is My Own," an isolation anthem if such a thing could exist, featuring Cale's electric violin with echoes of "Heroin." I can't imagine I'll throw Desertshore on a lot, it's pretty much a textbook example of an album you have to be in the mood for, but that doesn't make it any less impressive. Despite some flaws, it's a fantastic, singular record that showcases Nico as a rare talent and inspiration behind many dark and difficult albums that were recorded in the decades since it's been released.

A-

I'll get around to reviewing Fiona in a little while.

mountmccabe
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I missed that this thread started back up and damn, Desertshore is a fantastic album to go with. I don't think there is anything I could add to your comments, just agreement that it is an amazing album.

SoulDischarge
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Fiona Apple - When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King . . .

Prior to this, I really hadn't heard much Fiona Apple outside of "Criminal," which I enjoy, although I had read pretty much unanimously positive reviews of her work. Like I said in my first impressions, this isn't the kind of thing that falls in my wheelhouse of music appreciation naturally, and even after a week of listening, I still have a hard time connecting with it. Which isn't to say I actively dislike it. In fact, there's a lot to admire here. The songwriting is clearly strong, but the way the songs are presented doesn't excite me. There's a lyric on the album that goes "Please forgive me for my distance," and ultimately, that's where I get tripped up. I can appreciate the songs for their construction catchy melodies, and while I feel like they're coming from a genuine place, there's a level of detachment that keeps me from loving this stuff. It's very show business vibe going on. I'm always keenly aware this is a performer on a stage (so to speak) and not someone bearing their soul in my ears. There are plenty of bands who do this and it doesn't bother me, so I'm thinking it just comes down to her particular style, which, again, isn't bad, but just not the kind of thing I relate to. Her voice doesn't do a lot for me either. Despite all this, each song is packed with really interesting sonic details that make me second guess my impressions of the songs themselves. There will be a little instrumental interlude where the production takes center stage and I start to get hooked. There are a few songs that stand out a little, especially "A Mistake," which feels like the closest she gets to really cutting loose. I feel like if she let herself go a little bit more, there would be a bit more passion and connection with these songs. This album hasn't turned me off of Fiona completely, but I really doubt I'll play it except to see if my mind has changed. I respect what she's doing even if I can't relate to it.

C+

SoulDischarge
07-02-2012, 11:08 AM
For my next choice, I'm going with something even more challenging, The Hafler Trio - A Thirsty Fish.

Any recommendations for a second album? Ideally something not too long, as that album is an hour and a half, but still worth the effort of unpacking over the course of a week. And I'd prefer something a little bit older than this year or last. The goal of this project isn't to absorb new albums, which I already make an effort to do, but to dig through the past for things that have eluded me thusfar.

bmack86
07-02-2012, 12:52 PM
The Gun Club - Fire of Love

If you're already familiar with that,

Squirrel Bait - Skag Heaven

And if you know BOTH of those

This Kind of Punishment - Beard of Bees

Mugwog
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Soundtrack for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - I'd recommend this on a 3hour + driving shift or if you're at home brooding/writing

bmack86
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Or, if you want something weirder: John Fahey - Womblife.

TomAz
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World

nicholasyames
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
check out the debut from echo lake. I'm really digging it.

SoulDischarge
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I'll go with Squirrel Bait since I already have it and haven't listened to it and was kind of hoping for something in a hardcore or metal vein anyway.

bmack86
07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
You should download the others I recommended at some point as well. I think you'd enjoy all of them.

TallGuyCM
07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Squirrel Bait - Skag Heaven

Listening to this now for the first time. Fucking rad.

bmack86
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Members of Slint

TallGuyCM
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Members of Slint

What? No shit. Never would have guessed that.

This is the description of the album on ?, and I completely agree with it:

In the vein of the Minneapolis scene Squirrel Bait tried to be more like their heros Husker Du and they really came close. It's not a stupid immitation record. It's not a copy of Zen Arcade. It's Squirrel Bait...It's a band that took the sound of Husker Du brought in some really melodic elements, retained the hardcore punk speed and edge and wrote some really good songs...Imagine a bridge between Husker Du and the 90s alternative rock sound. That's what they are only a little punkier than any 90's band ever was.

bmack86
07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Yup, Britt Walford and Brian McMahon. Apparently also David Grubbs from Gastr Del Sol.

SoulDischarge
07-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I'll make another stab at this for the hell of it. Sticking to one album a week. And not going to choose things that are totally overwhelming. And making it a preferably 2 times a day listen, but if I don't have the time, once will do. I'm going to set up the next four weeks now, today is my first day of this week.

Week 1: Neil Young - On The Beach
Week 2: Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
Week 3: The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society
Week 4: King Crimson - Starless & Bible Black

bmack86
07-14-2013, 05:27 PM
All good choices. Kinks week is going to be fun. Might I recommend Red over Starless and Bible Black? I prefer that as far as Crimson goes.

SoulDischarge
07-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Kinks and King Crimson are both bands that I'm fairly familiar with a few albums but still have gaps in some of their major releases. I'm open to Red, but Allmusic made it sound like Starless was kind of the best one of that period. I'd also like to get more familiar with Discipline. I'll figure it out when I come to it.

bmack86
07-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Those are my three favorites from them. Starless and Bible Black is good, but Red is more taut and less "proggy" for lack of a better word.

stinkbutt
07-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Definitely suggest Red. It is probably their second best album

Gribbz
07-14-2013, 10:04 PM
God damn do I love the Kinks. I'm surprised at how fantastic Ray Davies still sounds live.

fatbastard
07-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm gonna take a listen to that on the beach.

getbetter
07-20-2013, 03:11 PM
So I never really got into listen to Neil Young besides a maybe five listens of Harvest and one listen from whatever that album is about his Car.So far i have at least listen to "On the beach" twice a day this week and tonight I finally get to hear it buzzed....hope your as excited as I am or more reasonably don't give a shit .I'll make sure to post my final thought tonight while buzzed.