PDA

View Full Version : Art thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

J~$$$
05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Dennis Hayes can suck upon Blaines balls.

ewiggy
05-31-2007, 01:39 PM
oh no you did not. that's my boy.

wmgaretjax
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
jared: +10,000 points. fucking LOVE erwin olaf. yay.

Yeah he's great. I love (they just acquired a few pieces at the Seattle Art Museum) Joel-Peter Witkin (http://www.artphotogallery.org/02/artphotogallery/photographers/joel_peter_witkin_01.html) as well.

There is another photographer I found recently that i forgot to bookmark, he did this fantastic series of photos about male insecurity with this scrawny, hairy creature in absurd social situations (there is one with these guys pouring milk on this girl while they force him to watch). I'll find it...

ewiggy
05-31-2007, 01:51 PM
there's a photographer that i found on myspace, of all places, that you would probably like. unfortunately i've forgotten his name, and he's in my friends list on my art account, so i'll have to spend some time later sifting through those people to try to find him.

wmgaretjax
05-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Found it! Charlie White (http://www.charliewhite.info/)... Check out his series "Understanding Joshua (in Work -> 2001)."

Mr.Nipples
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
a couple of years ago i sent some stuff to mike diana and he responded back finally just a few months ago with a print. i would like to post what he sent me but i cant find a big enough scanner and the content itself would probably get me in trouble...

ewiggy
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
jared, i'm familiar with his work. creepy, aphex twin-y stuff.

wmgaretjax
05-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Nipples, if you get a chance, please try and post it (or PM me), my interest is piqued.

Another photographer: Erwin Wurm. (http://www.erwinwurm.net/)

Mr.Nipples
05-31-2007, 02:24 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/PriestsMonster.jpg

well its not that bad compared to some of his other stuff. mine is very similiar to this one. the only difference is the background on mine is baby blue and has a border of decapitated dicks and its on a canvas slab so it looks rougher than this one. he seems like he has alot of time on his hands because hes always contacting me through myspace...

PineapplePete
05-31-2007, 03:56 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/PriestsMonster.jpg

thats art?...

then i am an amazing artist

Hannahrain
05-31-2007, 03:57 PM
thats art?...

None of that in this thread, Pete. Can it.

Mr.Nipples
05-31-2007, 03:59 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/ouch.jpg
sorry...

menikmati
05-31-2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.ebombfilms.com/chomp/lady_and_the_tramp.jpg

PineapplePete
05-31-2007, 04:03 PM
None of that in this thread, Pete. Can it.

why aren't i allowed to criticize?

all i see is a crude, immature doodle. if there is a deeper meaning please explain it to me.

SubBass49
05-31-2007, 04:05 PM
You think that one is rough to define as art, imagine how I felt when WOLFGANG LAIB got an exhibition at the MCASD when I worked there! Some lady hated on one of his pollen fields by jumping the rope barrier and running around in it, kicking the pollen everywhere, and then running out of the museum before anyone could catch her...lol...it was funny...mainly because I thought he was a pretentious prick...

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/08/09/pollen_wideweb__430x268.jpg

http://www.artnet.com/artwork_images_192_272678_wolfgang-laib.jpg

Hannahrain
05-31-2007, 04:07 PM
why aren't i allowed to criticize?

There's a difference between "constructive criticism" (I hate that term) and being an asshole.

You were just being an asshole. There are other places to do that. People aren't going to post their art if they think people are going to say things like that. I'm all for thick skin, but you shouldn't need it in this thread.

Menik, that's cute. I like the line quality.

PineapplePete
05-31-2007, 04:09 PM
nipples said it wasn't his...

Hannahrain
05-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Doesn't matter. You can start your own thread if you want to be an art critic.

menikmati
05-31-2007, 04:13 PM
i hate art critics

SubBass49
05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
lol....uh oh....hello shit...meet fan...

Courtney
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
i hate art critics

Hi Erik.

thelastgreatman
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
i hate art critics

Somebody say word!

Hannahrain
05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Word. Except for Courtney.

menikmati
05-31-2007, 04:22 PM
am i missing something?

Hannahrain
05-31-2007, 04:26 PM
I was going to be all secretive and tell you in piglatin that Courtney is an art critic, but since art starts with an A and I had to do the adding a W thing, it looked like I was saying that she was a wart critic. So I'm not going to do that. Here's how I'm going to do it:

Hey menik, Courtney is an art critic.

wmgaretjax
"Art without criticism is hobby." - John Cage re: Marcel Duchamp

Hannahrain
Wart critic.

menikmati
05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
oh well i dont mean I hate people who have jobs as art critics or whatever...i mean I just don't like the kinda people who have nothing better to do than talk shit and put down someone else's creation for no apparent reason at all.

Hola Courtney. (:

Hannahrain
05-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Well said. For me, it's not that people like or dislike art and make it clear what it is that they like or dislike about it, it's the people that go to an exhibit hoping to dislike it, or people who always look for something to criticize instead of looking for something to appreciate. You're fully entitled to not like a piece or an artist or a movement. I don't really hate art critics, I hate assholes. Sometimes, the two go hand in hand.

Courtney
05-31-2007, 04:32 PM
For me, it's more about talking about all the good stuff I want to share with other people. Art criticism is just a form of writing that gets the information out there.

:)

wmgaretjax
05-31-2007, 04:35 PM
oh well i dont mean I hate people who have jobs as art critics or whatever...i mean I just don't like the kinda people who have nothing better to do than talk shit and put down someone else's creation for no apparent reason at all.

Hola Courtney. (:

Good criticism is not communicated "for no apparent reason at all," good art criticism is done with the intention of facilitating progress.

The best critics have always been considered assholes by the general art community/public (Jack Burnham anyone?), but that's because the general public is worried about art here and now, good critics have their eyes set on the future and tend to be rarely satisfied by work absorbed in the present.

Hannahrain
05-31-2007, 04:36 PM
We weren't talking about good criticism. We were talking about

That's art?!?

Courtney
05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
The best critics have always been considered assholes by the general art community/public (Jack Burnham anyone?), but that's because the general public is worried about art here and now, good critics have their eyes set on the future and tend to be rarely satisfied by work absorbed in the present.

In my opinion, the best art critics work to foster the existing art community and help the development of the artists that they believe in. For example, Clement Greenberg's relationship with Jackson Pollock.

EDIT: Oops sorry Hannah. I'll stop now.

wmgaretjax
05-31-2007, 04:42 PM
In my opinion, the best art critics work to foster the existing art community and help the development of the artists that they believe in. For example, Clement Greenberg's relationship with Jackson Pollock.

EDIT: Oops sorry Hannah. I'll stop now.

I agree completely, and the best way to "foster" an existing community is with consideration towards the future. In many ways, Burnham had a similar relationship with Rauschenberg.

but yeah, we'll stop, because i'm inadvertently implying a validation of that kid's contribution.

Hannahrain
05-31-2007, 04:45 PM
I understand the need for criticism in the art world. The only reason that I said anything is that I didn't think that criticism for criticism's sake belonged in this thread. Pete's comment was not anything intended for "artistic advancement". It was just him scoffing obnoxiously via the "reply" button.

But anyway. Like you both said. Let's not do this. How bout those mets?

mountmccabe
05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
The Mets suck.

J~$$$
06-01-2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7259223@N05/

I came across this when looking for inspiration

ewiggy
06-01-2007, 10:33 AM
that is quite ill.

wmgaretjax
06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
i had a show this weekend. it went really well. i showed a video installation. and closed things off with a dance and media performance using live sound synthesis. i was really happy with the feedback I got and the turnout. I have video, but haven't had the chance to capture it etc. I'll post it on here when I get the chance.

algunz
06-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Anxious to see it.

phoenixsky
06-16-2007, 10:18 AM
For whatever reason, long after I read it, I thought about this poem at work today. And I think it's fucking brilliant. Shame on me for not saying that right after I read it.

I'm a little late on this but thank you so much. You too, ewiggy.

Attn board members: If you have $9 laying around, you should check out my homepage (www.myspace.com/phoenixsky), click on my book, paypal it and help me pay a bill or three. I'll mail you my art...and a kiss.

Or if you're broke, just befriend me and you can read all my shit for free. All the same.

How's that for Saturday morning whoring?

SubBass49
06-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Hehee...long as we're whoring out our books, everyone should check out this book that I have one of my stenciled posters featured in:

http://www.yowhathappenedtopeace.org/yo_book_retail.html

I just got my copy this week and it's a really cool catalog of the poster art of the modern anti-war movement.

phoenixsky
06-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Wow. Good work, Sub!

wmgaretjax
06-16-2007, 11:42 AM
blach

Mr.Nipples
06-16-2007, 01:54 PM
shit...its all X's...

wmgaretjax
06-16-2007, 03:39 PM
shit...its all X's...

i added links if the pictures aren't working. they should though.

Mr.Nipples
06-16-2007, 04:29 PM
ahh the links are still broken(at least for me)...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/hamburger.jpg

marooko
06-16-2007, 04:33 PM
i feel your pain through this piece.

wmgaretjax
06-16-2007, 05:11 PM
blach

SubBass49
06-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow. Good work, Sub!

Thanks! I was pretty stoked. My first exhibition...now my piece is part of the permanent collection and traveling around the world... =)

ewiggy
06-19-2007, 07:05 AM
here's a pic from my latest opening. it was called Knock Your Socks Off and was at Headquarters Galarie in Montreal. HQ is a gallery that has been representing me for a little over a year now. they are awesome people who run a very cool boutique/gallery right in downtown Montreal. this was their 1 year anniversary exhibition.

they have several pieces of mine in their rotating collection, and they hung an older piece and 1 new one that i sent up:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/569722782_5eb4db3af2.jpg

thelastgreatman
06-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Jared, 'splain yoself, mofucka. So people sit in the chair, listen through the phone, watch the TV, do/don't drink the wine, and fuck the tentacle?

wmgaretjax
06-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Jared, 'splain yoself, mofucka. So people sit in the chair, listen through the phone, watch the TV, do/don't drink the wine, and fuck the tentacle?

ok. so the footage displayed on the TV is footage I shot on a couple of occasions. First, my parents are very religious and asked me to go to church with them for this anniversary thing (my grandfather used to be the pastor). I obliged, mainly because they respect me and never ask.

Anyways, one of the first things that happened in the service was they brought up the first pastor of the church. The guy was completely out of it. He had these huge headphones on because he couldn't hear, he was in a wheelchair, and it was clear he didn't fully understand what was expected of him. My grandmother had asked me to record the service, so I had this cheap camcorder the whole time. I'm recording this guy and all of the sudden he just breaks down crying. I was so overwhelmed (being in so close with him as a result of the camera) that I shut the camera off. This was a pretty naive thing to do, as if in some way I expected the stopping of the camera to alleviate what I was witnessing. So I turned the camera back on and recorded the remainder of his "speech." He rambled on for almost 30 minutes, telling the same story several times. Finally, the pastor of the church cuts him off, and the old man responds by telling him that he doesn't know how he can help because he can't see or walk and is pretty much useless. It was really fucked up, and the pastor did his best to recover by asking the man to just give a blessing and say a prayer. This registers with the old man, and he just kicks into autopilot and says a prayer with his eyes open (it looks like he's staring directly into the camera). The whole thing is really fucked up, because the men on either side of him have these bizarrely malicious grins and are holding his mic for him etc.

So I cut up this footage into some of the most powerful moments. I then mixed it with this footage of my baby sister (5) burying a rat. A while back we had this rat terrorizing my house. My roommates were going nuts, so we finally set some poison out. I came upon the rat as it was dying after eating the poison and tried to put it out of it's misery. But I had a really hard time doing it, it's a lot harder than you'd think. It was quite an ordeal for me, and one of my roommates suggested we bury it. I asked my sister if she'd be willing, seeing as she recently burried her pet hamster and was now a pro. I video recorded it as a kind of memorium to the thing. Inevitably I edited the footage together with the footage of the old man so that it looked like my sister was burying the rat alive.

You sit down in a chair which appears to be in a living room and listen to the audio through the telephone. Meanwhile, to the left of you there is a small sculpture I made that drips ink into a cristal glass being measured by an old post office weight scale.

thelastgreatman
06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Fair enough. It ain't that hard to kill a rat, by the way--I used to have to do it when Mom would catch one in a glue trap. The answer is called: smacking the everloving fuck out of them with a big hammer.

Of course, there was one occasion where the creature that got trapped was not a full-grown rat or mouse (we'd get shifts of either or both from time to time--lived near woodsy area) but a little tiny, cute-ass baby mouse, who just had its foot caught in the trap. He was struggling to pull loose but couldn't, and frankly it was almost heartbreaking. I'd found a gnawed-off foot left in these traps underneath my kitchen sink before, and I was now faced with a dilemma: reach in there and try to set him free or smack him with the hammer when he wasn't anywhere near dying, unlike all the ones I'd hammered because their necks or skulls had been broke.

Well, I had a rare moment of sympathy for the little guy, somehow identifying with his plight as this was back during my high school days, and reached in to free him. Little cocksucker bit me!

He did not get anything as kind as a hammer. Anyways, someone go find all those probing annoying art critic questions and ask Jared all of them. =)

wmgaretjax
06-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Fair enough. It ain't that hard to kill a rat, by the way--I used to have to do it when Mom would catch one in a glue trap. The answer is called: smacking the everloving fuck out of them with a big hammer.

Of course, there was one occasion where the creature that got trapped was not a full-grown rat or mouse (we'd get shifts of either or both from time to time--lived near woodsy area) but a little tiny, cute-ass baby mouse, who just had its foot caught in the trap. He was struggling to pull loose but couldn't, and frankly it was almost heartbreaking. I'd found a gnawed-off foot left in these traps underneath my kitchen sink before, and I was now faced with a dilemma: reach in there and try to set him free or smack him with the hammer when he wasn't anywhere near dying, unlike all the ones I'd hammered because their necks or skulls had been broke.

Well, I had a rare moment of sympathy for the little guy, somehow identifying with his plight as this was back during my high school days, and reached in to free him. Little cocksucker bit me!

He did not get anything as kind as a hammer. Anyways, someone go find all those probing annoying art critic questions and ask Jared all of them. =)

i tried to kill it with a rock. but I couldn't hit it hard enough to kill it. i don't know, i'm a wuss when it comes to stuff like that. I don't like hurting things.

thelastgreatman
06-19-2007, 12:21 PM
There's no time to be hurt if you're a man about it. =)

I'm going to go find all your pretentious art critic questions and bombard you with them now. Sounds like an interesting exhibit, though.

In other news, there's this series of art exhibits related to famous cult movies that's going on in LA. http://www.nineteeneightyeight.com/home.html

I heard about it because Kevin Smith is involved and I'm his myspace friend, but I happened to notice that this is also the art house that hosted an exhibit including a work from a buddy of mine from home. The theme of the exhibit was 8-Bit Videogames. This is his contribution, which sold for 3 thousand.
[fuck, hold on, I gotta figure out how to link this image better]
Alright, there's no way for me to copy the image properly, perhaps by design so that you can't just copy each artist's work. Scroll about 75 percent of the way down the page on this link, his name is Matt Dangler, the painting is titled Mario Envy. http://www.nineteeneightyeight.com/8bit.html

I believe this kid is going to go far, he does some absolutely amazing oil works, which you can check out here (I think this link should work): http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=7541996&albumId=0

wmgaretjax
06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
There's no time to be hurt if you're a man about it. =)

I'm going to go find all your pretentious art critic questions and bombard you with them now. Sounds like an interesting exhibit, though.

I tend to suck at being a "man" in these kind of situations. Bring on the questions. I'm always open to criticism and questioning of what I do.

thelastgreatman
06-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't know where the fuck it was, and I don't want to look through all of your posts to find it. Whoever it was you were giving the third degree should find them and do so immediately, though. Wiggums, was it you? GET HIM.

Also, Jared, what's your business? You sound like you're involved in movies sometimes.

kimery08
06-19-2007, 12:45 PM
the chair is too close to the tv. no bueno.

wmgaretjax
06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't know where the fuck it was, and I don't want to look through all of your posts to find it. Whoever it was you were giving the third degree should find them and do so immediately, though. Wiggums, was it you? GET HIM.

Also, Jared, what's your business? You sound like you're involved in movies sometimes.

I do believe it was kristen.

i'm a student in digital art and experimental media at the UW in Seattle. I've worked on quite a few film sets because an area I have focused my study on is film. I've done a lot of camera-op work and a shit ton of grip/gaff work. I've also DPed a couple short projects.

As far as "work" goes, I do software development part time to pay the bills.

wmgaretjax
06-19-2007, 12:50 PM
the chair is too close to the tv. no bueno.

part of what I wanted to re-create was the closed distance that the camera created between me and this man, so I did my best to recreate that in a phsyical manner for the installation. It doesn't function in quite the same way, but I think it created the physical response I wanted. In some of the less pleasant moments, people physical pushed back on the chair, in an effort to create more distance between them and the picture. I also tried to accomplish this by making the audio in the telephone loud, so that there are moments when the viewer had to pull the telephone away from their face, simulating a kind of artificial separation.

kimery08
06-19-2007, 12:52 PM
very nice.

ewiggy
06-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Whoever it was you were giving the third degree should find them and do so immediately, though. Wiggums, was it you? GET HIM.

shrug. i don't have anything i want to ask.

also - gallery 1988. i will show there within the next year.

wmgaretjax
06-19-2007, 01:21 PM
shrug. i don't have anything i want to ask.

also - gallery 1988. i will show there within the next year.

LA or SF? congrats! Let me know when. I'll be in an out of SF in the fall and spring.

ewiggy
06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
that was just me setting a goal for myself. it hasn't actually happened yet. i keep sending them my work and they keep ignoring me.

wmgaretjax
06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
that was just me setting a goal for myself. it hasn't actually happened yet. i keep sending them my work and they keep ignoring me.

in that case, good luck!

rage patton
07-15-2007, 11:06 PM
This is my cat, Sylvester

http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07291/sylvester.JPG (http://xs.to)

TomAz
07-16-2007, 06:08 AM
http://siteimages.guggenheim.org/gpc_work_large_547.jpg

algunz
07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Magritte?

artisticcreator
07-20-2007, 03:10 PM
This is a fun poster I'm doing for myself for next years Coachella!

http://www.artsig.com/go/works/view?id=54927

If it doesn't show up you can go here to see the color mock up bigger than my avatar!

Courtney
07-20-2007, 03:13 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1296/833996067_5b408d7258.jpg

clarky123
07-20-2007, 03:30 PM
This is a fun poster I'm doing for myself for next years Coachella!

If it doesn't show up you can go here to see the color mock up bigger than my avatar!

Thats really good I can see you put a lot of thought into that I especially like the wind farm aspect.

TomAz
07-20-2007, 10:02 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1296/833996067_5b408d7258.jpg

ah doan lahk spahdurs.

ewiggy
07-21-2007, 07:21 PM
ISM Magazine is a quarterly contemporary arts magazine. they are currently hosting a contest to design their Autumn '07 cover. the contest will be judged by a handful of people, including RZA and Kat Von D. here is my entry:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1368/867141969_5e487aa5a4.jpg

full on idle
07-21-2007, 07:56 PM
That's cool, Kristen. I love that tape turning into branches on wood. I'm not well versed at art-speak. Did you already enter it? Because one thing I thought of when I looked at it was that it reminded me kindof more of winter than autumn. What if you had like one little leaf falling from one of the tape branches? Is that totally cheesy?

ewiggy
07-21-2007, 08:15 PM
yeah, i did already enter it. it was due at midnight, and i took like every last second to be neurotic over it.

i smell what you're cookin', though.

oh and they are actually roots, if that makes a difference.

edit: and thank you :)

full on idle
07-21-2007, 08:28 PM
ohhhhhh

menikmati
07-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Here are a few childhood/school artwork I stumbled across the last couple of days (I don't remember doing any of these back in the day)...

Colorful landscape painting:

http://www.ebombfilms.com/chomp/erik_mountain_art.jpg

my abc book (with some selected entries:)

http://www.ebombfilms.com/chomp/erik_abc_1.jpg

http://www.ebombfilms.com/chomp/erik_abc_2.jpg

http://www.ebombfilms.com/chomp/erik_abc_3.jpg

http://www.ebombfilms.com/chomp/erik_abc_4.jpg

and here is a story I wrote when I was little, entitled "Jeff Turkey" (cover shot, and transcript):

http://www.ebombfilms.com/chomp/jeff_turkey.jpg

My turkeys name is Jeff Turkey. He's plays on a football team called Turkboys. I number is number 1 he won the gold medal (that's what I'm reading on the page, hard to read the writing actually, but it's my best translation and no idea what I meant by that sentence...). His house is a car. He sleeps on the front seat. I made him because I like football. His favorite bobby is collecting pogs. I dressed him like this because it's the uniform on the football team. His teammates are Bob Goose, Johnny Duck, Timmy Bird, Robert Seagul, and Michael Bee. He likes football. His coaches name is Dom Mosquito. He's a nice pet. His best friend is Robert Seagul. He loves everybody who likes him. He does not play football with a helmet. His helmet is black and white (contradicting I know...). He is a good pet. He is 16 years old. He goes to highschool.

My turkey dreams about winning the Turkey Bowl and MVP. And live in a rich house instead of a car. And have children and be drafted to the turkey NFL. And play on the Farm Ranch Gobble Gobbles. And have millions of pogs and slammers and own a new car and be number 50 since that is his favorite number. He wishes he could the star of his team. And always get the gold medals. He wishes about having lots of money, always making touchdowns. And two point conversions and would be famous and popular and filthy rich. Have no problems at all and would go to the junior turkey bowl and have lots of rewards. But thats all just a dream.

Once there was a turkey named Michael Turkey. He was walking along when he saw an apple. Little did he know it was poison. He ate the whole thing. He walked by the king and said gobble gobble. Jeff Turkey couldn't believe it he couldn't speak. After a decade, he still couldn't speak. "I have to do something about it", tomorrow was the parade everybody would laugh at him. He couldn't even say gobble gobble. So he went to the tree and ate a good apple could talk and think. And a had a good parade. Nobody laughed at him.

How do you dress a turkey? You put a shirt on him then a sweatshirt then a jacket, then some sweats. Then you need some socks, then you put the shoes on. Then get some gloves on, then you put some gel or hairspray and cologne on his hair and put a hat on him and some sunglasses. You are all set.

Hi, I'm a reporter from channel 5 news.
Reporter: What's your favorite football play?
Turkey: Well my favorite football play would be a hand off.
Reporter: Are you married?
Turkey: No I'm not.
Reporter: We have to go now, bye now.
Turkey: Call me, I'll come back.

TomAz
07-21-2007, 08:58 PM
wow. obsidian. how old were you?

ewiggy
07-21-2007, 11:13 PM
My turkey dreams about winning the Turkey Bowl and MVP. And live in a rich house instead of a car. And have children and be drafted to the turkey NFL. And play on the Farm Ranch Gobble Gobbles. And have millions of pogs and slammers and own a new car and be number 50 since that is his favorite number.

ahahhahahahhhaaaaaaaa.

Reporter: We have to go now, bye now.
Turkey: Call me, I'll come back.

ahahah! dude. seriously, how old were you? that shit is comic gold.

wmgaretjax
07-22-2007, 12:26 AM
I will be going to Documenta12 in Kassel next month. I am thrilled, despite the lukewarm responses this time 'round. I will be participating in a couple of roundtables about real-time installation/media works that I'm pretty excited about. Mostly, it's a pretty legendary show and I'm excited to get to see the work and talk to some of the people involved in the process.

I'm also in the preliminary stages of my thesis project that will be shown in Seattle next Spring. We are working the details through with two different galleries and I'll post the details when they arise. I can't say a whole lot now because it's constantly evolving... however, I'm working on building a couple of real-time stereoscopic/3d video rigs that will be implemented into the piece. It will be a performative piece that 4 people will view at a time... Might be interesting.

C DUB YA
07-22-2007, 12:34 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/posters-cw.jpg

C DUB YA
07-22-2007, 12:36 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/IMG_5456.jpg

C DUB YA
07-22-2007, 12:39 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/987608101111_0_ALB.jpg

C DUB YA
07-22-2007, 12:43 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/af2007.jpg

C DUB YA
07-22-2007, 12:44 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/DSC_0044_bw.jpg

C DUB YA
07-22-2007, 12:45 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/poster_idea4.jpg

Hannahrain
08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey awesome. I want some Kristen art.

full on idle
08-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Hey I got some art in the mail!!!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/VJHStarr/080807_09051.jpg

I'll post a better photo when it's mounted. Thanks for the book too, Kristen!

ewiggy
08-09-2007, 12:26 AM
yay! you're welcome :)

SheriNOIR
08-11-2007, 11:20 AM
I can't believe this had been pushed to page number three..
Shameful..

one day I'll make something for this thread..

fatbastard
08-12-2007, 07:06 AM
http://www.shavedneck.com/LAetc/images/Fear_flier_1.gif
http://www.shavedneck.com/LAetc/images/e03-CircleJerksGoldenVoice.jpg
http://www.shavedneck.com/LAetc/images/e08-SubhumansGoldenVoice.jpg
http://www.shavedneck.com/LAetc/images/blackflag.jpg

1litro
08-13-2007, 08:40 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/271448571.jpg
Nothing like Art and Music- Coachella 05

thefunkylama
08-19-2007, 11:14 PM
To avoid stretching out this thread to impossible sizes until I get some kind of fix for this, I'm posting a link to this Gillian Welch-inspired piece. Keep in mind that it's been a long time since I've done anything with pastels or even a pencil, but hey. This is what I've got. Please enjoy.

Please meet The Dreamer. (http://www.thefunkylama.com/images/lama/104_2932_edited.JPG)

TomAz
08-20-2007, 06:39 AM
awesome alma!

also +10 for 'avoiding stretching out this thread'.

bug on your lip
08-20-2007, 06:43 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/af2007.jpg

who's the artist ?!??

i love theez

ewiggy
08-20-2007, 10:34 AM
who's the artist ?!??

i love theez

Burlesque of North America.

Wheres the beef?
09-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Shouldn't this be in the "Misc. Section"?

Just sayin

Hannahrain
09-16-2007, 02:23 PM
The old lounge became the music lounge. PF moved a bunch of irrelevant threads, but she couldn't move all of them. There are still a ton of random threads in the music lounge. They'll probably be moved as they pop up.

Mr.Nipples
09-16-2007, 02:29 PM
http://www.shavedneck.com/LAetc/images/Fear_flier_1.gif
http://www.shavedneck.com/LAetc/images/e08-SubhumansGoldenVoice.jpg
http://www.shavedneck.com/LAetc/images/blackflag.jpg

do you actually own those? if so, would you ever consider selling them?

gaypalmsprings
09-16-2007, 02:29 PM

I can't believe I missed this one.

RotationSlimWang
09-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I can't believe I missed this one.

Damn, that's funny.

thefunkylama
09-18-2007, 07:47 PM
http://www.thefunkylama.com/images/lama/Burger_Anatomy.jpg

algunz
09-18-2007, 08:14 PM
These are a few pictures I took over the summer in Bodie, California. One of those places where it's hard to take a bad picture. I thought these were pretty cool.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bodiecar.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bodiecart.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bodiewindow.jpg

artisticcreator
09-25-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm doing a fun poster for next year! For myself and friends. I think I'm going to do it in a style like this using dots ( Stippling )! What do you think?

J~$$$
09-25-2007, 08:08 AM
These are a few pictures I took over the summer in Bodie, California. One of those places where it's hard to take a bad picture. I thought these were pretty cool.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bodiewindow.jpg

I <3 this one so much.

wmgaretjax
09-25-2007, 08:30 AM
i went to Documenta and Bienalle.

Imogen Stidworthy had an extraordinary installation in Kassel. That was the only thing that knocked me off my feet. Most of it was catwalk bullshit. It was an interesting experience.

Phoebe Washburn had an awesome installation at the Deutsche Guggenheim.

The Barney/Beuys exhibit in Venice was all re-hash.

The Erice/Kiarostami exhibit at the Pompidou in Paris was awesome.

algunz
09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
I <3 this one so much.

I'll send you a copy if you'd like.

J~$$$
09-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Please! That would be really awesome of you. Should I just PM you my address? Are you asking for monetary goods in exchange?

algunz
09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Please! That would be really awesome of you. Should I just PM you my address? Are you asking for monetary goods in exchange?

No $, I'd love to have my work represented in Colorado. Just PM me, What size do you want 8x10 or 5x7?

J~$$$
09-25-2007, 08:39 AM
WOO-HOO 8x10. PM'd.

algunz
09-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Done!

TomAz
09-25-2007, 09:12 AM
The Barney/Beuys exhibit in Venice was all re-hash.

wasn't that the point?

wmgaretjax
09-25-2007, 09:39 AM
wasn't that the point?

i guess, but given the title of the event; "all in the present must be transformed," you get the impression that I was supposed to take more away from the event than a bunch of stuff I had already seen independent from each other. I'm a big fan of beuys so I was happy to see his work again, but the parallels between their work didn't really extend beyond the surface for me.

EDIT: and the Beuys show in Berlin at Harburger Banhof was better in my opinion.

TomAz
09-25-2007, 09:48 AM
well they both work with gloppy stuff sometimes.

I will admit to ignorance: I'd never heard of Barney and had only very limited exposure to Beuys prior to seeing that exhibit. So it was fun for me. Beuys > Barney, agreed.

wmgaretjax
09-25-2007, 10:17 AM
well they both work with gloppy stuff sometimes.

I will admit to ignorance: I'd never heard of Barney and had only very limited exposure to Beuys prior to seeing that exhibit. So it was fun for me. Beuys > Barney, agreed.

You know, I have to admit, I like some of Barney's stuff. I thought the Cremaster stuff was interesting, often boring and ridiculous, but there were some fantastic moments. At a minimum, the guy puts together some incredibly well polished exhibits (the Drawing Restraint exhibit, 7 and 8 in particular, at SF MOMA). He needs to get off of his own ego though.

ewiggy
09-25-2007, 10:33 AM
hi jared! are you back?

wmgaretjax
09-25-2007, 12:05 PM
hi jared! are you back?

i am! how have things been? I got back yesterday and school starts tomorrow, ugh.

miscorrections
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
this thread makes me happy, so i figured i would finally contribute something.
i just stumbled across this photo on my computer, painted it 3 yrs. ago. 16x20 and everything that isn't face is fingerpainted.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/miscorrections/photo.jpg

TomAz
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
is that a bug on her forehead?

miscorrections
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
er, no. it's like a bindi, i did this from a reference photo.

Hannahrain
09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.tattoomanufacturers.com/bindi/images/bindi_r2_c2.jpg

miscorrections
09-25-2007, 12:25 PM
ezackly.

TomAz
09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
jeez what's next. Footbinding?

J~$$$
09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.wgal.com/slideshow/boredroom/13358621/detail.html

TomAz
09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
ahahaahahhahahaha! even better.

J~$$$
09-25-2007, 12:41 PM
cuz sometimes you just want your goldfish to get some fresh air.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/mmmmdoughnuts/porta-fish-3.jpg

Grandma
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I have a few thomas kinkade prints that im rather proud of. Ill have to take some pictures sometime as soon as I can track down some darn flashcubes!

ewiggy
09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
i am! how have things been? I got back yesterday and school starts tomorrow, ugh.

hooray. i was reading your blog the other day. nice pictures. looks like you had a great summer. i didn't do much except move to california, become unemployed and then i saw okkervil 3x.

wmgaretjax
09-25-2007, 01:32 PM
hooray. i was reading your blog the other day. nice pictures. looks like you had a great summer. i didn't do much except move to california, become unemployed and then i saw okkervil 3x.

ya, I still need to throw up pictures from tunisia and the sahara. That was the highlight for me. Are you in LA? how do you like it so far? I'm really jealous, I missed OR by a couple weeks here. Ah well, next time...

ewiggy
09-25-2007, 01:36 PM
ya, I still need to throw up pictures from tunisia and the sahara. That was the highlight for me. Are you in LA? how do you like it so far?

yeah, i'd like to see those. i am actually in Anaheim Hills. which is not LA but whatever. so far i hate everything except for the nice boardfolk i've hung out with and the awesome shows i've gone to see.

I'm really jealous, I missed OR by a couple weeks here. Ah well, next time...

yeah - next time i'll go travel all summer and you can stay home and see okkervil river. deal?

i believe they'll be touring again in the spring, and my money is on Coachella for sure.

wmgaretjax
09-25-2007, 01:45 PM
yeah, i'd like to see those. i am actually in Anaheim Hills. which is not LA but whatever. so far i hate everything except for the nice boardfolk i've hung out with and the awesome shows i've gone to see.

you know, i'm not a big LA fan... saying that kind of quietly. hope the transition has gone, and will continue to go, smoothly.

I'm gonna take a nap, jet lag is still killing me.

J~$$$
09-26-2007, 01:51 PM
ewiggy, will you please go to this gallery during october sometime and see the new Bob Dob exhibit and report back to me. I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Justin.
http://www.laluzdejesus.com/

J~$$$
09-26-2007, 03:20 PM
So awesome. The place that used to just be a p.i.n.g pong table that you could rent out has changed again. So fucking cool, what a perfect idea for a date.

http://www.139norfolk.com/

algunz
09-26-2007, 03:29 PM
At the fair grounds in Coasta Misery, they have an inflatable screen that they put up and do a drive-in movie. It's awesome. We can bring our 2 year old to movies that Jim and I actually want to see and she just falls asleep in the backseat.

Oh, and why is it p.i.n.g?

Courtney
09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Beuys and Barney both really don't do it for me. In the world of big art egos, they pretty much win for constructing entire fictitious realities circling around their created personae. I guess Barney is slightly more palatable just because of the sheer craftsmanship of his work. And Beuys gets a certain level of props just because he did it first. And some of his work dealing with issues of nationalism is more engaging. But still, ugh.

And I want to go on a date to that drive-in theater so much. That's bad ass.

wmgaretjax
09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Beuys and Barney both really don't do it for me. In the world of big art egos, they pretty much win for constructing entire fictitious realities circling around their created personae. I guess Barney is slightly more palatable just because of the sheer craftsmanship of his work. And Beuys gets a certain level of props just because he did it first. And some of his work dealing with issues of nationalism is more engaging. But still, ugh.

i agree for the most part. I think Beuys gets some credit for integrating mythologies that have serious basis in reality. A lot of his work explores what reminds me of the paradox of history that is explored in Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum." For whatever that is worth...

The ego kills a lot of it, because I find myself looking for reasons to hate them while experiencing the work.

ewiggy
09-26-2007, 09:24 PM
ewiggy, will you please go to this gallery during october sometime and see the new Bob Dob exhibit and report back to me.

i plan on it. i wish they wanted some of my work, though.

So awesome. The place that used to just be a p.i.n.g pong table that you could rent out has changed again.

i love this place. but that is the second time in 2 days that i have said i love something in new york, and hannah is bound to find out and call bullshit.

Hannahrain
09-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Quicker than you'd imagine.

cansei de ser sexme
09-26-2007, 09:27 PM
http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo28vj0.jpg

a print i did in 8th grade

cansei de ser sexme
09-26-2007, 09:28 PM
how come my pic doesnt work?

ewiggy
09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
i googled "pizza" for a test picture, and this is what i got:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/327842.jpg

ok. seems like some pictures are working and some aren't. mine earlier didn't work.

cansei de ser sexme
09-26-2007, 09:55 PM
ok. seems like some pictures are working and some aren't. mine earlier didn't work.

i will try uploading it to another website.

cansei de ser sexme
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.2and2.net/files/46fb47c1d8070.jpg

try #2 of print made in 8th grade

cansei de ser sexme
09-26-2007, 10:03 PM
YEAH!

theburiedlife
09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Take a good last look folks!

Getty to hand back 'looted art'
By David Willey
BBC News, Rome

Disputed statue of Aphrodite
The 5th Century BC Aphrodite was allegedly smuggled out of Sicily
One of the world's wealthiest museums, the Getty in Los Angeles, has signed an agreement in Rome to return priceless artefacts allegedly stolen from Italy.

Under the deal with the Italian culture ministry, 40 major works of ancient art will be returned from next week.

The items include a prized limestone and marble statue of the goddess Aphrodite, to be handed over in 2010.

It follows two years of often hostile negotiations, with Rome threatening to sever ties with Getty.

It is a victory for the Italian government, which has been battling in the courts for the past decade to defeat the enormously profitable international trade in smuggled ancient art works.

New policy

The former curator of antiquities at the Getty, Dr Marion True, is currently on trial in Italy on charges of conspiracy in the looting of ancient works of art which ended up in the museum.

The Getty Museum will not acquire anything that does not have an appropriate provenance
Michael Brand
Directory, Getty Museum

Some serious charges against Ms True are being dropped by Italian justice authorities although she still risks being found guilty on lesser counts.

The deal marks a milestone in relations between the Getty and Italy.

The museum has established new guidelines for future purchases of ancient art, director Michael Brand said.

"The Getty Museum will not acquire anything that does not have an appropriate provenance, same as the British museums, and that is the biggest contribution to the future," he said.

The most prized work the Getty Museum is giving back to Italy, a 5th Century BC Athenian marble statue of the Goddess Aphrodite - dug up in Sicily and secretly exported - is to be allowed to remain in the US for three years.

But 40 other important objects including fresco paintings stolen from an unknown villa in Pompeii, marble and bronze sculptures and Greek vases, will arrive back in Rome sooner and be put on show.

cansei de ser sexme
09-27-2007, 08:23 PM
damn that was a beautiful sculpture. i hope they take good precautions in shipping it. lol. but seriously that is a beautiful piece and it would be a shame if it was blemished in delivery.

BROKENDOLL
09-30-2007, 12:38 AM
This Brokendoll can't wait for Coachella 2008!!!

1litro
10-08-2007, 01:50 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/281884654.jpg

wmgaretjax
10-08-2007, 02:02 PM
went and saw an Anthony McCall piece at the Western Bridge.

While it creates a nice effect, works that are solely dependent on the "aesthetic" experience need to be flawless. McCall's work has too many small elements that distract from the immersion. First and foremost are the resulting projections that hit the back wall/floor etc. The light should be diffused near the end so the space remains amorphous and doesn't detract from the experience. Second, the fog needs to be more controlled. First in how it's distributed, and second in it's consistency. When the consistency gets thicker, the whole thing ends up looking quite silly.

Was definitely worth seeing, I hope current/future iterations of his work smooth out these wrinkles.

http://www.le-rare.com/images/lettre/98_11_a._mccall.jpg

http://www.arttattler.com/images/NorthAmerica/California/San%20Francisco/SF%20MoMA/EraseMcCall_YAIH_5.gif

algunz
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Looks beautiful to me.

wmgaretjax
10-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Looks beautiful to me.

it was. the problem with documentation is you get the "perfect" moments. he in between is where the problems laid.

ewiggy
10-08-2007, 11:14 PM
i havent made any art since jared said he hated the last stuff i made. are these things related? unsure.

maybe that should go in confessions.

wmgaretjax
10-09-2007, 07:14 AM
i havent made any art since jared said he hated the last stuff i made. are these things related? unsure.

maybe that should go in confessions.

oh shit...

ewiggy
10-09-2007, 09:59 AM
you've ruined my art career. how do you feel about that?

wmgaretjax
10-09-2007, 10:14 AM
you've ruined my art career. how do you feel about that?

pretty shitty. this comes as a blow that I'm not sure I will ever recover from...

how could I be so reckless...

bug on your lip
10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
what the fuck is a jared

TomAz
10-10-2007, 09:51 AM
hmph.

http://www.stagedeli.com/gallery/catering/Chopped_Liver_Platter.jpg

ewiggy
10-10-2007, 06:10 PM
i posted a magazine cover contest entry awhile back. i didn't win. here is mine again:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1368/867141969_5e487aa5a4.jpg

here are the top 11 entries (myspace link). (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=132255563&albumId=0)

and here is the winner:

http://a208.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/105/l_be04c979d8d7c3a30574e217d633e4cf.jpg

obviously the placing of the masthead is off on mine. oops. comments?

wmgaretjax
02-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm showing some work at the Lawrimore Project in Seattle in June that I'm pretty excited about. I also have a performance at On The Boards this coming weekend that should be a blast.

The On The Boards performance is a dance piece using real-time sound synthesis. The piece in June is a installation piece I've been working on for the last couple months.

NiceArthur32
02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
this is my thread so i MUST post... =)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g318/nicearthur32/baby-fire.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g318/nicearthur32/cstalnight.jpg

not my fav. stuff but these were online...

algunz
06-04-2008, 10:02 AM
What a cool project and some beautiful pictures . . .

http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Alison/49837

TomAz
06-04-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.darvillsrareprints.com/Images/images/kidsfishing.jpg

algunz
06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
TomAz, that is so beautiful - a "Whale of a Catch."

TomAz
06-04-2008, 10:13 AM
aren't those kids just the cutest?

algunz
06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
This one goes from cute to hauntingly beautiful.

What a cool project and some beautiful pictures . . .

http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Alison/49837

TomAz
06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
they just look like gussied up myspace pics to me. that her mom did the project also makes me think whole thing is a narcissistic trip.

algunz
06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Dad did it, which makes it seem a bit pedophiliac. (Is that a word?)

Check out the other pix, it is an interesting crowd that the photography seems to hang out with. Very Diane Arbus.

TomAz
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
you're right, Dad is even worse.

PineapplePete
06-04-2008, 11:55 AM
A stupid little sketch spawned from boredom.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/2551171573_6d63f63c1d.jpg?v=0

Note: if you turn your head upside down, you can see the Ideal Gas Law!

TomAz
06-04-2008, 12:22 PM
draw us a Liger next, pete!

amyzzz
06-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I miss the doodling I used to do in college listening to lectures. haha.

algunz
06-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Amy, just put on talk radio and doodle away.

KatieLyn
06-04-2008, 05:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/shroom.jpg

Mushroom.

And then one day I decided to try and draw a person (didn't come out very well, but let's see if you can guess who it is!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/benbenbenben.jpg

amyzzz
06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Ben Gibbard.

KatieLyn
06-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't draw as much as take pictures though:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/eyee.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/Portrait1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/Free_by_KatieLyn.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/Follow_by_KatieLyn.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/Everyone_Is_Different_by_KatieLyn.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/Captured_by_KatieLyn.jpg

KatieLyn
06-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Ben Gibbard.

I award you ten points.

ewiggy
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
that "alison" series of photographs is actually sort of interesting. sad, though.

chiapet
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
While I can't really draw, I doodle intricately while on the phone. Usually in notepads that get thrown away. I hate drawing faces, so they usually end up blank or avatar-ish.

http://chia.deathmonkeys.com/gallery/albums/Doodle/Scary_thumb.sized.jpg
http://chia.deathmonkeys.com/gallery/albums/Doodle/Vine_thumb.sized.jpg

woogie846
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/etch_a_mario.jpg

algunz
06-04-2008, 07:24 PM
that "alison" series of photographs is actually sort of interesting. sad, though.

They are progressively sad, but there is an obvious love and appreciation between the father and daughter. For them both to be so seemingly comfortable with each other says everything. Although the picture of her in the car and the one of her drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette were ones that made me feel as if she wasn't as comfortable with him taking the picture at that moment.

algunz
06-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Katie, those are some great photographs. You do nice portraits. Those are hard to do.

wmgaretjax
06-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I began my install at the Lawrimore Project today. Today I built out 50ft of 8ft frames skinned in black corrugated plastic for walls.

I also moved all of my gear in: a bunch of steel tiles and steel framed acryllic, 4 LCDs, 8 speakers with hand-made PETG backings accompanied with parabolic reflectors, a bunch of contact mics, a macpro with a second video card, and a Motu.

I'm already exhausted, and I have a long week ahead of me.

full on idle
06-04-2008, 08:08 PM
is it a performance piece Bill

RotationSlimWang
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
How long until you have a kid? Are you going to turn it into an art installation during labor?

wmgaretjax
06-04-2008, 09:22 PM
is it a performance piece Bill

nah, it's a multi-media installation. It involves documentation of performanaces of sorts. I'll post video and pictures when it's all up and finished.

wmgaretjax
06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
How long until you have a kid? Are you going to turn it into an art installation during labor?

6 weeks. I asked Vicky if I could bring american flags, some fireworks, friends, and video camera to the whole thing, but there is a strict "jared can't bring cameras" policy to the event. so... unfortunately no.

algunz
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Can't wait to see. Get some sleep, wm.

That was in reference to your art, not the birth of your child.

KatieLyn
06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Katie, those are some great photographs. You do nice portraits. Those are hard to do.

Thank you very much =]

RotationSlimWang
06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Oh my god, a kid in six weeks... that's fucking terrifying. Like, I'm shitting myself on your behalf. How're you doing with it?

ewiggy
06-05-2008, 04:13 PM
jareds having a baby? weird.

RotationSlimWang
06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Well, he's going to be raising the baby I put in his girlfriend.

thefunkylama
06-05-2008, 08:38 PM
child supporrrrt

wmgaretjax
06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Oh my god, a kid in six weeks... that's fucking terrifying. Like, I'm shitting myself on your behalf. How're you doing with it?

Fine I guess. I'm not really that worried about it to be honest.

ewiggy
06-06-2008, 01:43 PM
i wonder if i keep indirectly addressing jared if he will continue to ignore me.

RotationSlimWang
06-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Fine I guess. I'm not really that worried about it to be honest.

You're a braver man than I, sir. You gonna marry the ho or what?

Courtney
07-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Holy crap, I was just invited to curate my first exhibit.

(I have no idea what I'm doing.)

mountmccabe
07-07-2008, 05:30 PM
WOOHOO!!

(In response to the first part. And you'll do a great job, in response to the parenthetical portion.)

algunz
07-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Awesome Courtney!! The opportunity couldn't have come at a better time.

Fuck NYC!! : )

algunz
07-27-2008, 09:30 PM
This is my daughters current gallery showing.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/IMG_0970.jpg

This is really just a bump of this thread.

wmgaretjax
07-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Holy crap, I was just invited to curate my first exhibit.

(I have no idea what I'm doing.)

where? That's really exciting. Congrats.

Oh, and Randy, never saw your question. No, I'm not marrying the ho.

algunz
09-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Some of my friend's latest work. I think it's cool as shit.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/n831176464_739720_6979.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/n831176464_739726_8470.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/n831176464_739709_9948.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/n831176464_739708_9622.jpg

Mr. Dylanja
09-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Some of my friend's latest work. I think it's cool as shit.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/n831176464_739709_9948.jpg

This one totally looks like it could be on something for Radiohead...

I like them all tho, what does he/she use?

algunz
09-13-2008, 08:29 AM
He uses everything from ink to watercolors, but I'm not exactly sure what was used on these.

Courtney
09-13-2008, 09:58 AM
where? That's really exciting. Congrats.

Whoops, I never saw this. Thank you for the congrats.

I am now in charge of curating all shows in one of the smaller, less important spaces in the museum where I currently work. (Which is still damn exciting for me!)

But that post actually referred to a young, adventurous gallery in Chinatown which invited me to guest curate an exhibit for them. Which reminds me that I still need to figure out what I'm doing and put together a proposal for them.

So... anyone have suggestions on how to find awesome artists?

algunz
09-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Chinatown, NYC?

My friend above would be more than happy to have another exhibit and he lives in the city. PM me if you are interested.

wmgaretjax
09-13-2008, 10:09 AM
So... anyone have suggestions on how to find awesome artists?

rhizome.org is a great place to start if you've never checked it out. It's a hub that features a lot of work and a lot of incredible communities stem from there.

Courtney
09-13-2008, 10:49 AM
rhizome.org is a great place to start if you've never checked it out. It's a hub that features a lot of work and a lot of incredible communities stem from there.

Thanks! I'm actually familiar with rhizome; I had a friend who interned doing their marketing stuff a couple years ago. But I haven't looked at the site for a while, so it's definitely good to have a reminder that it's out there.

ihavetopee
12-12-2008, 09:31 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/pink-2.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/orange.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/shroomm.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/l_16da7bcbde5e4b4dafc564c560d033-2.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/g-1.jpg

TEXTILE DESIGNS

ihavetopee
12-12-2008, 09:35 AM
PAINTINGS

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/amazing.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/yay.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/depthe2-1.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/garden.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/tree-4.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/poppy-2.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/CSandland/depths.jpg

CalmerThanYou
12-12-2008, 09:41 AM
i demand you tell me what you google'd to find these pictures?

"throw up on canvas '96"

"turd burglar '87"

"richard '04"

TomAz
12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
why does she keep posting pictures of giftwrap?

CalmerThanYou
12-12-2008, 10:09 AM
its fucking art, tom.

ihavetopee
12-12-2008, 10:27 AM
why does she keep posting pictures of giftwrap?

THANKS, tEXTILE DESIGNER....AT LEAST YOU *MAY* HAVE AN EYE!!!

algunz
01-09-2009, 10:57 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/IMG_1391.jpg

My husband named her Carrie.

BROKENDOLL
01-10-2009, 12:16 AM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/IMG_1391.jpg

My husband named her Carrie. That was my first thought.The second one was "Vomit." But... due to the fact that I have a pretty good idea who the artist was...I vote for calling it "Izzy Cute or What?"

DaKINe
01-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I was going to keep these Alice figures in the box sealed but went to a arts and crafts store and had this idea.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142/zn09/Picture037.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142/zn09/Picture039.jpg

I had 5 XL Nocturnal Wonderland Posters and my Little brother came up with
this multiple layer shadow box.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142/zn09/Picture050.jpg

algunz
01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Those are some cool figurines. What a great idea.

My friend, Steve Smith, used to do a bunch of cool shadow boxes. http://www.drunkingham.com

BROKENDOLL
01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
For someone who hasn't had any children, I sure have mastered the art of diapers... http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/IMGP1009.jpg http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/IMGP1014.jpg http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/IMGP1006.jpg http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/IMGP1018.jpg
I ended up making 5 of those "Diaper Cakes" for the member's baby shower. Once I finished those, I decided to try making a "Diaper Booty." (Still couldn't diaper a real child to save the life of me though! LOL)

Courtney
02-02-2009, 08:02 AM
http://theworldsbestever.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/brad-downey-vfr.jpg

Graffiti needlepoint. I want to make this so badly.

Mr.Nipples
02-13-2009, 11:21 PM
i sculpted a dick out of strawberry starbursts
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/100_0229.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/100_0230.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/100_0231-1.jpg

jdaws
02-14-2009, 12:00 AM
ewwwww

but still

im compelled to savor its sweetness

mattpach
02-14-2009, 12:04 AM
umm why is it hairy?

boarderwoozel3
02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
The random pubes are pretty gross.

Mr.Nipples
02-14-2009, 02:11 AM
those are fiberz. i didnt make the thing in a fucking germ free room...

mattpach
02-14-2009, 02:21 AM
those are fiberz. i didnt make the thing in a fucking germ free room...

The one on the wrapper looks suspiciously like a pube.

But anyway good job.

Mr.Nipples
02-14-2009, 03:16 PM
i sculpted a dick out of strawberry starbursts
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/100_0229.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/100_0230.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/100_0231-1.jpg

against terms of service my fucking ass

Mr.Nipples
02-14-2009, 03:18 PM
there. fuck you photobucket...
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/100_0229-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/100_0230-1.jpg

algunz
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
D2FX9rviEhw

BROKENDOLL
03-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Just fucking around...
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/DAFTPUNKCARD.jpg Good Time Deja Vu!!! :pulse

marooko
03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
show some love for Owen Maigret. ive been admiring this guys art for years. one day i will own a piece.

http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/showdown/index.php?showpic=203239

Mr.Nipples
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/Picture057.jpg
high school

marooko
03-31-2009, 09:25 AM
ok, so i seriously need some advice. im planning on buying an original Owen piece. It will most likely be oil on canvas. how do i take care of it? should i not display it? should i just get a print? what about light. incandescent, fluorescent, sun light?

algunz
03-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Why would you buy art and not display it?

marooko
03-31-2009, 09:28 AM
not that i dont want to, i dont know how to take care of it. would it be better to just get a print was what i was getting at.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-31-2009, 09:51 AM
sometimes i draw pictures for things. here are some

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/1069/feb0816smallru3.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2927/december0753smallnm1.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/848/december0782smalljj4.jpg

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5623/223062bcoloursmall3kr.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/729/22606tonessmall5xy.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/76/l_774b201575e10a1545740d7666bb918c.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/69/l_c07a252118116ded133429706e170132.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/74/l_1ae3df9584373f644c6ac9d60759dcba.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/78/l_de3b6e822c78217a13c0f8c6d01a391f.jpg

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=3162760&albumID=1236383&imageID=27599995#a=1236383&i=14300427

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/87/l_adb2b84af3772d197abee76ec601b390.jpg

weeeeeee

zajaa
03-31-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.zachryhorn.com/web_artwork/flat8_1.jpg

http://www.zachryhorn.com/web_artwork/flat7_1.jpg

http://www.zachryhorn.com/web_artwork/flat6_1.jpg

bug on your lip
03-31-2009, 10:19 AM
i heart yer stuff Drinkey

you got a portfolio i can ogle?

Alchemy
03-31-2009, 10:20 AM
ok, so i seriously need some advice. im planning on buying an original Owen piece. It will most likely be oil on canvas. how do i take care of it? should i not display it? should i just get a print? what about light. incandescent, fluorescent, sun light?

Well, if you get the oil canvass, you should probably rent an Englishman in a suit to stand by the painting during your business hours. You should also get one of those red rope barricades with golden posts and make a little square around the painting and the Englishman.

marooko
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Well that's pretty much a given, but still solid advice. Except the Englishman is gonna be outside the red ropes. That will ensure no one gets too close.

zajaa
03-31-2009, 10:34 AM
and the englishman should be a middle aged filipino woman

Wheres the beef?
03-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Well that's pretty much a given, but still solid advice. Except the Englishman is gonna be outside the red ropes. That will ensure no one gets too close.

Just put up a sign. "No Looking At The Painting. No Flash Photography."

Young blood
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM

These are really cool.

For some reason I see colorful bacon.

bug on your lip
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
These are really cool.

For some reason I see colorful bacon.

just let it sit in your fridge for 6 months

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-31-2009, 10:49 AM

you got a portfolio i can ogle?

no proper portfoloio unfortunately. i've been out of it for a while, focusing on other stuff. need to get back into it!

You can see a bunch of stuff on my myspace page, there's a little gallery in "my photos" as well as a bunch of stuff in the blog if you scroll down a lot

http://www.myspace.com/drugmassacre

I'm glad you like it!

I have a mini comic and a sketchbook i self-published a couple years ago too that is till have for sale

http://img275.echo.cx/img275/281/sketchbookpreview13cp.jpg

Young blood
03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
just let it sit in your fridge for 6 months

Im currently taking orders for the baconallweekend camping group

BROKENDOLL
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM

you got a portfolio i can ogle? If he does, I suggest plastic coating the pages before you go ogoling.

Alchemy
03-31-2009, 11:45 AM

Did you make those, zajaa?

BROKENDOLL
03-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Well, it's not exactly my artwork here, but I combined the art of other's and made a "calling card" for people I meet at the fest...
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/COACHELLABUSINESSCARD-1-1.jpg

zajaa
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Did you make those, zajaa?

yeup