PDA

View Full Version : Matador Loses A Bunch Of Vinyl Masters

fiyahhh!
04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Matador Records has just disclosed a bit of distressing news, announcing that most of its vinyl masters no longer exist after one of the label's pressing plants, 33 1/3, went bankrupt and tossed all its records. "Nothing was recovered from 33 1/3," said director of production Jesper Eklow. "We lost everything."

The losses aren't inconsiderable: According to Elkow, "everything" means "pretty much everything up to May 2006." This includes Mogwai's Happy Songs for Happy People, Yo La Tengo's Painful and Cat Power's The Covers Record, among many, many others.

Matador had been hoping to capitalize on the vinyl craze that's swept the music biz lately, reissuing a number of titles in response to an 89% vinyl sales spike in 2008. But the cost of re-mastering the pre-2006 releases from scratch might outweigh any profits the label would eventually see from the vinyl. For now, they're unsure what their next move will be.

bmack86
04-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I read somewhere that Gerard said they'd probably put up some voting sheets on their website for people to choose which ones get remastered so that they only print things that have a considerable demand.

bballarl
04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
That is a bummer but they seem to have a good solution.

Boourns
04-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Fuck! That sucks. I really want the covers record on vinyl but last year it was $60 on eBay. They should have repressed it immediately after juno to capitalize on that and put a sticker that said: "remember the song that didn't have kimya fucking Dawson, aka the good song from Juno? Get it here!"

Boourns
04-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Happy songs is my favorite mogwsi too. Fuck!