PDA

View Full Version : The Knife...one more try

fireitup
04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
So in November of this year, according to the Knife official website, the band will be debuting an opera in honor of the 150th anniversary of Darwin's The Origin of Species in Copenhagen.

Intense, beautiful, creepy, everything you could hope for.

Sahara tent, Sunday night. Pleeeeaase.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Exactly how I want to spend my last hours in a fucking rave tent: at a Darwin-themed opera.

Fuck you.

The Knife have no business in the Sahara, opera or not. Check out some live videos. We don't want them in the Sahara.

fireitup
04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
hahahahha, pretty passionate about this eh? make your way over to the do lab...i'm still hoping

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2009, 09:29 AM
I find the suggestion that just because something has bleeps and bloops it's instantly Sahara-tent ready is insulting to the genre.

Keep in mind, I love The Knife and have seen them live and they are fantastic live.

Just not ideal for a huge rave tent.

fireitup
04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
toootallly agree, and love to rave myself. sahara for lack of a better option? i'd just die to see them and, speaking for myself, would be willing to give up a night of hard partying for the experience. then run over to the dome to polish off the evening.

El.C.Dub
04-28-2009, 09:49 AM
for how much fun the dome was, it still doesn't even hold a candle to the blazing inferno that is the sahara tent.

Voodoo Hipster
04-28-2009, 09:49 AM
They are perfect for the Gobi tent though.

fireitup
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Gobi it is. i'll let paul tollett know we've decided. xo

malcomjamalawesome: how were they live? where did you see them?

indietron
04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
NO way the knife would fit in the gobi, that is ridiculous.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
i love the knife, but they are definately not PLUR

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I saw them in 2006 at Pukkelpop. They were really cool and moody. Great visuals. Their stage setup was kind of a low-budget version of the most recent NIN setup, where there were screens in front of and behind them and it looked like the images were just being projected into the air in front of them. Really trippy and cool.

fireitup
04-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I saw them in 2006 at Pukkelpop. They were really cool and moody. Great visuals. Their stage setup was kind of a low-budget version of the most recent NIN setup, where there were screens in front of and behind them and it looked like the images were just being projected into the air in front of them. Really trippy and cool.

so where could they fit at coachella 2010?

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
How about we wait and see if they even have a new album out or any reason to tour in the next year before we start slotting them at a stage?

marooko
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
http://bucf.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/knife20attack.jpg

fireitup
04-28-2009, 10:15 AM

so jealous you went to Pukkelpop. i'm going to Exitfest in serbia in July, which should be a party, but there are soooo many festivals on the list

indietron
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree with MJA that they wouldnt exactly fit in, but there really is nowhere else to put them. They cant be outdoors (set up is fragile so cant be outside), the gobi is DEFINITELY too small, and im thinking the mohave would be too small as well. Leaving us with... the sahara

Geno_g
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I want the Knife to play, come on...

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Well, then again, if Shepard Fairey and Late of the fucking Pier can play the Sahara, I suppose The Knife may as well.

marooko
04-28-2009, 10:18 AM
dude, no. look at what happens when you play with knives.

http://wackyinventions.com/photos/human_head_knife_block.jpg

Gribbz
04-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Late of the Pier rocked that bitch. I see your point however.

BeyondFurtherFlavors
04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I'd love The Knife at Coachella. On Main Stage. Before a headliner.

dorkfish
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd love The Knife at Coachella. On Main Stage. Before a headliner.
You know who wouldn't like that? Coachella. Why? Because they like to make money.

If the Knife ever play, they belong in the Mojave tent against a subheadliner or after a headliner. Something like the Throbbing Gristle spot, but going against Muse or the Strokes.

hendrixfan143
04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
The knife mojave closer. I wish. Id be there for sure though.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
You know who wouldn't like that? Coachella. Why? Because they like to make money.

If the Knife ever play, they belong in the Mojave tent against a subheadliner or after a headliner. Something like the Throbbing Gristle spot, but going against Muse or the Strokes.

Well played.

Assuming that I am reading this correctly and you are NOT implying that either The Strokes or Muse would headline.

dorkfish
04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
you are NOT implying that either The Strokes or Muse would headline.
exactly.

moomoo
04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
When I think of the Knife playing, I think of the slot TG had this year.

GOD I fucking want the Knife to play :(

malcolmjamalawesome
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Official Best Case Scenario For The Knife Playing:

Friday or Saturday Night
Some whack headliner's set ends at 11
Knife in Mojave from 11-12 (but actually 12:15)

EDIT: And you show me your boobs during the set.

CalmerThanYou
04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
http://bucf.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/knife20attack.jpg

really? this is the best you could come up with?

NightGoat
04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
You Call that a knife?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/nickitynick/wengergiantswissarmyknife_small.jpg

Now THIS is a knife

Gribbz
04-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Ah. I see you've played "knifey-spooney" before.

worldwide2020
04-28-2009, 10:05 PM
They need to play to a silent Coachella right after the sun goes down so there's no sound bleed and everyone can get real weird together.

Ah. I see you've played "knifey-spooney" before.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/knifey-spoony-6582.jpg

fireitup
04-29-2009, 12:43 AM

Friday or Saturday Night

thank "god" a decent solution. haha, as if we're actually problem solving here

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-29-2009, 06:19 AM
Well, then again, if Shepard Fairey and Late of the fucking Pier can play the Sahara, I suppose The Knife may as well.

BINGO!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-29-2009, 06:21 AM

Friday or Saturday Night

This post is all sorts of win. However, I feel that the Mojave does have terrible sound bleed issues due to being so close to the Sahara that I would have to agree with the post below

They need to play to a silent Coachella right after the sun goes down so there's no sound bleed and everyone can get real weird together.

This.....maybe they could close off the other stages ala Leonard Cohen...in fact close off the Outdoor for 2 hours to insure no fucking sound issues and proper set up...even then this makes me very uncomfortable...so we are back to the Sahara..

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-29-2009, 06:28 AM

While I agree with you on this...wasn't the demand on their last "tour" huge? I mean for such a small act weren't people offering you $1000 for your tickets? That would mean to me that there is alot of pent up demand especially in hipster mecca California...or fuck it...or they could just let the headliner go on before them OR let the Knife play to a partial silentchella on the main ala Black Starr....

fireitup
04-29-2009, 07:26 AM
in my dream land they would do some sort of halvsies set like roger waters doing random songs, break, then dark side of the moon. the knife could play a set, break, then come back on for the origin of the species opera portion.

JorgeC
04-29-2009, 07:29 AM
The huge "demand" that was the last tour (IIRC) = one sold out show at El Rey (800 capacity approx) and 2 sold out shows at Webster Hall (1500 capacity approx).

I got to see the El Rey show (amazing), but they aren't going to be that "big" again unless they release a really great followup to Silent Shout and tour some more. That being said, i'd still love to see them again closing out Saturday night to a half empty tent with plenty of room for me to trip out on the visuals.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-29-2009, 07:45 AM
The huge "demand" that was the last tour (IIRC) = one sold out show at El Rey (800 capacity approx) and 2 sold out shows at Webster Hall (1500 capacity approx).

I got to see the El Rey show (amazing), but they aren't going to be that "big" again unless they release a really great followup to Silent Shout and tour some more. That being said, i'd still love to see them again closing out Saturday night to a half empty tent with plenty of room for me to trip out on the visuals.

I see your point...again though...if they had played bigger venues...do you think they would have sold out?

Leeartlee
04-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Until recently, I had no idea that they wrote "Heartbeats". That's one of my favorite all time songs. Fuck, now I've got to go and get their version...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Until recently, I had no idea that they wrote "Heartbeats". That's one of my favorite all time songs. Fuck, now I've got to go and get their version...

there are 2. The live version from 2006 (which I think is LOADS more superior!) and the orignal one from Deep Cuts.

JorgeC
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
I see your point...again though...if they had played bigger venues...do you think they would have sold out?

Only in NYC and LA and probably not anything bigger than the Fonda (approx. 1500 cap) and T5 in NY (approx 3500 cap, which wasn't built yet when they toured for SS), then again that's only in the two big cities. Though other major cities have some great music scenes with lots of venues (SF, Chicago, Boston), they aren't the places that niche-international acts can really sell a lot of tix in.

there are 2. The live version from 2006 (which I think is LOADS more superior!) and the orignal one from Deep Cuts.

there's a really good remix of it too, forgot by who tho, but it's on the deluxe version of Deep Cuts.

Leeartlee
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm gonna check it soon as I get back to the crib. No doubt

captncrzy
12-23-2009, 06:36 AM
From CoS

Next July will mark four years since the release of The Knife’s most recent LP, Silent Shout. Aware of this reality, the BBC recently asked the Swedish outfit’s lead vocalist (and now solo extraordinaire) Karin Dreijer Andersson about the possibilities for the followup.

“We’ve just talked a bit about starting to play together but nothing decided yet,” Andersson explained.

That said, for someone who just started talking, the Swedish native already appears quite aware of what the electronic duo hopes to dish out:

“Last time, it was five years ago or something when we started the last one, but I think we’re both very keen on playing instruments now.”

Until then…

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-23-2009, 06:44 AM
I actually had a really good feeling about the knife playing in 2010. Either to test new material or to showcase some of that Darwin Opera stuff.

nocigarettes
12-23-2009, 10:40 AM
must happen

bobert
12-23-2009, 02:34 PM
If the Knife plays their Darwin opera at Coachella they should schedule fifteen minutes at the top of the set for Kirk Cameron to introduce it.

paulthomasanderson
12-23-2009, 04:31 PM
This should just happen already. The Knife, Orbital, 2ManyDjs (or Soulwax), The Avalanches, Röyksopp, Underworld, and Leftfield - just this year, all barring no conflicts.

djandrews25
12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I would love for them to play, but if they come to coachella it better not be like the last knife and fever ray tour with all recorded instruments.

signmeup
12-24-2009, 02:34 AM
maybe they will play the opera tent thursday evening.

castleberryrock
12-25-2009, 07:36 AM
If THE KNIFE plays anywhere in 2010, my year will be made and I can die a happy man knowing I got to see them. Whatever they decide to do, it would be epic beyond.

oyeloca
01-06-2010, 04:51 AM
http://soundcloud.com/theknife/colouring-of-pigeons

EPIC

unknown
01-06-2010, 06:17 AM
^!!!!!!!!mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!ahhhhhhh :pulse

Dogvolta
01-06-2010, 06:36 AM
for how much fun the dome was, it still doesn't even hold a candle to the blazing inferno that is the sahara tent.

Last year I left the closer in the Sahara (de crecy) to get my face bass'd off at the dome. Fuck last years sahara closer, that shit sucked.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Knife @ Coachella = MJA @ Coachella

Dogvolta
01-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Knife @ Coachella = MJA @ Coachella

who is mja

GrossMagic
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
http://soundcloud.com/theknife/colouring-of-pigeons

EPIC

So bad ass!

Leeartlee
01-06-2010, 09:34 AM
who is mja

It's a Persian name. Must be a terrorist.

kuuguy
01-06-2010, 03:12 PM
THE KNIFE! C'mon GV, take a..................................stab.........at it.

paulthomasanderson
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z3iEWgwWg8c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z3iEWgwWg8c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

weezy f baby
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Last year I left the closer in the Sahara (de crecy) to get my face bass'd off at the dome. Fuck last years sahara closer, that shit sucked.

QFT

done and done.

Back to The Knife... while I think The Knife would be epic, it would make more sense for Fever Ray to play since that's the tour Karen has been currently prepared for... that, and her apparent "guest" appearances during the Royksopp tour. Althought many think that was just an imposter singing exceptionally close to Karen's voice.

BTW, Fever Ray at the Fonda was fuckin epic. That was my #1 show of the year for 2009. #2 was Thom Yorke at the Orpheum. #3 was The Presets at Coachella.

go find the Resident Advisor podcast of Fever Ray: http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=178

It's archived now, but you can still google the mp3 and pull it from mirrors.

unknown
01-07-2010, 03:09 AM
I'm pretty certain the only time Karin performed with Royksopp in 2009 was at Way Out West. The other performances is a different singer, possibly Anneli Drecker who does vocals on a couple Royksopp songs. Even in vids on youtube from their tour you can tell that is not Karin - doesn't look like her, sing like her, and the stage presence is definitely not her.

Not that things couldn't change, but she has said that the Fever Ray tour was the only time she'd tour as Fever Ray.

I doubt we'll ever get Karin in any way shape or form at Coachella but it would be delightful if we did. I am really hoping for Royksopp! Fever Ray and Royksopp were 2 of my favorite shows of 2009 and therefore will never be deleted from my signature as long as I list shows in my signature. I'm just too attached.

TheCutestBoyAlive
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
The Knife has always been a little weird but their new song 'colouring of pigeons' creeped me the fuck out! I don't get it! What's wrong with me? Am I losing my edge?

unknown
01-07-2010, 01:35 PM
What don't you get about it and why is it creeping you out?

You understand it's written for an opera, yeah? The beginning vocals are a bit off if you just think it's another track of The Knife. Personally I think once it's past those first couple minutes then Karin begins signing it's great. I love the bassline. I also love the dark, eerie aspect of Fever Ray so I am in love with this track.

I was listening to Honey Is Cool's album Crazy Love today and it was interesting to hear that same voice but with completely different music. Her songs today are perfect for her voice.

thewindowliquor
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
man it would be cool if the knife were at coachella, but it is just never ever going to happen ever.

TallGuyCM
01-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow, so I heard that new song last week but I didn't know they're actually planning a whole new album release for this year. Wikipedia has the title of the album listed as Tomorrow, In a Year.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah Chris, it's a double-album and it comes out March 1!!!!! (I think...definitely March)

paulb
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Wow, so I heard that new song last week but I didn't know they're actually planning a whole new album release for this year. Wikipedia has the title of the album listed as Tomorrow, In a Year.

ya...thats the Opera...not just a new Knife record... its 2 cds, the tracklisting/album cover is already out...

TallGuyCM
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah Chris, it's a double-album and it comes out March 1!!!!! (I think...definitely March)

So it's been covered, I figured. Thanks for going easy on me Drinkey! :)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
So it's been covered, I figured. Thanks for going easy on me Drinkey! :)

i am too happy and excited about it to be Supre about repeating myself

malcolmjamalawesome
01-12-2010, 12:13 PM
But like, I'm not expecting a "Knife" album. The Knife wrote an opera. They didn't necessarily write "Silent Shout part 2".

TallGuyCM
01-12-2010, 12:18 PM
True.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
But like, I'm not expecting a "Knife" album. The Knife wrote an opera. They didn't necessarily write "Silent Shout part 2".

I thought that same thing until i heard "Colouring of Pigeons" and ended up listening to it about 25 times in one day. if the rest of it sounds anything like that i think It'll quickly become my favorite work of any kind from Karin

malcolmjamalawesome
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Jesus. Do you listen to yourself

paulthomasanderson
01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Is Karin a fan of Dave Wang?

Norwalkguy
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
No ones talking about how this new Knife Opera is a Callob with Mt Sims..

Thanks for getting me all 2001..

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Jesus. Do you listen to yourself

I don't speak out loud as I type.

TheCutestBoyAlive
01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
damn that live version of 'heartbeats' is way better than the album version in my opinion! fucking gold!

Boourns
01-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Those visuals...

boyalien0
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Goddammit I need to see them.

GrossMagic
01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
The Knife, Karin Dreijer Andersson´s project with brother Olof, are to release the studio version of the opera ‘Tomorrow, In A Year’, in collaboration with Mt. Sims and Planningtorock, on the 1st March 2010.

“Commissioned by Danish performance group Hotel Pro Forma to write the music for their opera based on Charles Darwin and his book ‘On the Origin of the Species’, The Knife decided to make this a collaborative process, working with artists Mt. Sims and Planningtorock for the first time, to capture the huge width of the Darwin and evolution theme. They extensively researched Darwin related literature and articles, with Olof attending a field recording workshop in the Amazon to find inspiration and to record sounds.”

I am anticipating this album more than anything!

paulb
01-12-2010, 10:32 PM
damn that live version of 'heartbeats' is way better than the album version in my opinion! fucking gold!

i totally agree...Im so anxious to hear some new material! I truely believe that The Knife are up there with the best songwriters of all time.... Simon and Garfunkel are #1 for me...then The Knife.