PDA

View Full Version : Grace Fucking Jones - Hollywood Bowl - July 26!

JewFace
04-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Of Montreal and Dengue Fever are playing too, but really, it's all about Grace!

FE1xCe7t2X0

zenidogx
04-28-2009, 12:26 AM
:( . . . I won't be able to make it.

zenidogx
04-28-2009, 12:27 AM
i don't know anything about Grace Jones, that video looks cool, but Of Montreal and Dengue Fever make for a swell afternoon at the Hollywood Bowl.

JewFace
07-24-2009, 02:35 AM
My friend Tiffany, like a typical bisexual, has decided to flake on me and will not be attending the Grace Jones spectacular at the Hollywood Bowl this Sunday.

If you're in need of a ticket, send me a PM. You'll get to spend a lovely, balmy evening with Dengue Fever, Of Montreal, Miss Grace Jones, yours truly and my friends Matty and Patrick. We have a Terrace Box, dead center and we may we even let you have a sip of our refreshing summer Vouvray and a nibble of our brie.

Grace Jones
Hollywood Bowl
One ticket
Terrace Box, Center
Sunday, July 26 7pm
Bargain price of: $45 (orig price: $86 + TM fees)

TallGuyCM
07-24-2009, 10:33 AM
My friend Tiffany, like a typical bisexual, has decided to flake on me

If flaking is typical of that demographic, then the vast majority of my friends are secretly bisexual. :lool

gaypalmsprings
07-24-2009, 10:41 AM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z278/sweetersc/89_GraceJones2.jpg?t=1248457233

Ardentbiscuit
07-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Should be fun with Henry Rollins hosting..

Plus, Design Direction and Costume Design by Eiko Ishioka, an Academy Award winning Costume Designer.

Plus, in the program they have a listing for a whole bunch of extra performance artists during "Of Montreal. I'm not sure what they are going to be doing but it's probably going to be cool!

Should be a fun night all around!

proxima
07-27-2009, 02:01 PM
simply amazing!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o2EnAmIRhMg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o2EnAmIRhMg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SFChrissy
07-27-2009, 02:14 PM
she's so striking!!!

zenidogx
07-27-2009, 02:32 PM
looking for Of Montreal footage online. Did someone propose to Dottie (the keyboardist)?

JorgeC
07-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey JewFace, how was the show last night?

Kid B
07-27-2009, 03:40 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/09E5p7hbtck&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/09E5p7hbtck&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

moviebruin
07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Amazing show last night. I would never listen to a Grace Jones CD but anytime that woman has a show around here (which is not often) I'll be sure to attend. Great stage show! Costume change every song or two - MJ style is nutty.

blackchango
07-27-2009, 08:17 PM
="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R3s1YtQPNPA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R3s1YtQPNPA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Amazing !!!!

suprefan
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Ok that chick needs to shut up... And does she feel this insane need to watermark every video? Like we are gonna steal your youtube video.

JewFace
07-28-2009, 01:14 AM
It was an incredible evening. Grace’s mother was in the audience and her son (from her relationship with Jean Paul Goude) played in her band. This was obviously a very special night for Grace and it was as special for me. My mum introduced me to Grace’s music years ago and I know she would have just loved this evening. I personally never thought I’d get an opportunity to see this seminal figure of the new wave scene since she tours so rarely. My personal emotional investment aside, I think I can fairly objectively say it was still an amazing evening.

The stage design was stark, the lighting design was as basic as it gets at the Bowl (even Of Montreal had more of a light show), but it didn’t matter. The 7 piece band was tight and really fleshed out her many hits as well as her newer songs. Her incredibly versatile contralto (which is sometimes overlooked because of her dazzling visual flair) was in fine condition; she sounded magnificent. And after all these years she still has such incredible stage presence. In the course of one song she can be seductive, sexy, playful, chilly, domineering, terrifying and, above all, commanding. She’s such a consummate showwoman that she can easily hold a crowd of 17k spellbound for 90 minutes. There were costume changes after nearly every single number. One outrageous Eiko Ishioka costume after another.

The one downside of the evening was the strict Bowl noise curfew which forced her to cut the show short. Stupid Hollywood Hills yuppies. Considering this is Grace Jones’ first tour in 20 years, you’d think the programmers would have given her more time. Instead, we got a whole world of ‘meh’ with Of Montreal. They had several costumed dancers (if you can call them that) prancing around on stage in a messy unchoreographed fashion. I suppose that sort of thing might appeal to hippies or, you know, the visually impaired. In Of Montreal’s case, they just helped point out that the band was out of their depth at the Bowl. A messy, chaotic, unfocused, uninteresting and wishy-washy performance for sure. Sure, you can wear zany costumes and streaks of bright makeup, but those can only enhance great stage presence, not substitute for it. Perhaps they have more charm in a small theatre or club. They certainly couldn’t hold this audience’s attention. No comment on Dengue Fever. We didn’t catch them.

Check out the this crazy outfit, the back of which opened into a massive train for the second number shown in this clip:
AOTFMtYqgSo

If you’re anywhere NY this week, try and catch her show there. Who knows when she’ll next tour the US again.

JewFace
07-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Kind of stupid to reply to myself, but two other things:

Hello to whomever walked by our box and yelled "Hey, JewFace". That was a drive-by Jewy. You could have stopped to actually say hello. Then again, you probably realized you were surrounded by industry types and that "JewFace" probably wasn't the best thing to yell out in the Hollywood Hills, so I don't blame you for hanging your head and making a hasty retreat.

Grace mentioned that Hurricane (the new album only available as an import) would be released in the US soon, so hopefully that means a more extensive US tour. Lord knows she's been playing the hell out of Europe and Australia.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
07-29-2009, 09:59 AM
hopefully this means Grace at Coachella....