PDA

View Full Version : Completely Awful Phone Coverage?

Carnie100
04-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I have AT&T and Friday was decent but the coverage slowly got worse to the point where texts sent to my companion at the festival weren't arriving on her phone until 3 am outside of the festival.

I also was unable to call her at all during the festival. Very odd.

Demand is something I understand but it would seem that having AT&T as a festival sponsor (and live video streamer!) would warrant better cell phone coverage for the weekend right?

miscorrections
04-23-2009, 12:11 AM
I found that if you completely turned off your phone and then restarted it the messages would get forced through because your phone has to connect to the network at start-up.

Carnie100
04-23-2009, 12:14 AM
I figured that out too but it only worked once for me.

My phone ended up getting all the messages in the parking lot every night.

CitizenJ
04-23-2009, 12:52 AM
yes, this happened to me as well. my friend and I pretty much resigned to the fact that if we decided to split up during the day, it would be nearly impossible to get back together till we hit the campsite, which is what happened Saturday and sunday. The phones would not get anything, and when they did it was like a flood, getting 4 messages all at once from various points in the day.

n3glect
04-23-2009, 07:46 AM
This happens every year, and has been the status quo for a couple years now. That's why you see people bringing walkie talkies.

jgd855
04-23-2009, 07:53 AM
this is pretty much the status quo for all big festivals. this one might be worse than most not only because its attracts the most people, but it doesnt have the same coverage as say lollapalooza (in dt chicago). it doesnt help that your carrier is also the carrier for nearly everyone with an iPhone... the most trendy phone, from the most trendy company, thats based out of the state of california. so it wouldnt suprise me that their network is overloaded. the best thing to do in the future is to have a meeting point somewhere in the middle and set times to meet back. i always use one of the onion flowers in the do lab. walkie talkies would be nice, but somewhat pricey and the other person has to be listening for it.

faxman75
04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Verizon rocks. My phone always works all weekend long at Coachella. :D

Sigur Ros Stache
04-23-2009, 07:59 AM

Mine also!
But I was texting friends all weekend and they were all on iPhones with AT&T and had no problems either.

emtgreg
04-23-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm with Faxy, never had a problem at all, I tweet tweeted like a waterhose...

anonimouse
04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
mine worked fine at some times, other times i didnt get the txts until i was driving back to the hotel. no big surprise, its been like this ever since i can remember. i think there is only so much they can do with the network being overused about 200x more than it normally is in that area

oh and i tried doing walkie talkies this year, doesnt really work. you have to BOTH be away from any stage currently playing or you cant hear anything. you would have to set specific times to listen as you cant even here the person talking if its in your pocket/backpack just from the ambient noise of the crowd alone. the chances of you both being away from a stage at any given point are pretty unlikely most of the time

Carnie100
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Did anyone see the news story about AT&T bumping up their coverage by 3x in under 4 hours for South by Southwest this year? They knew their would be a big demand for iPhone users in the area so they prepared ahead of time.

Maybe that's what bugged me, the fact that they could've done something because they obviously knew tons of people would be coming.

JustSteve
04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
they do bring in extra cell towers...

thepoetblue
04-23-2009, 08:57 AM
My iPhone was on and off up and down all weekend. My group of friends sets 4-5 meetups a day so if you miss one there's another one an hour or two later. Friends at Coachella who aren't staying with us are always nonchalant about it and as a result I never see them.

flowbee
04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Next time I'm gonna bring some professional Motorola radios.

After two years of going I've realized the limitations on cell phone use during Coachella as you all have.

Creeper
04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Man fuck all your phone problems next year dont even bring it!

I swear there is a thread in here that bitches about EVERYTHING!

So Sick of it you ungreatful babys!

PlayaDelWes
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Yea, why bitch about phone service? The service met my expectations. Not 100% reliable, but going in I knew that. Text and voice were both useful tools.

captncrzy
04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
It's like that every year, especially on sold out days. Try to keep up.

emtgreg
04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
yeah, if you go around front, you can see the many "COW's" and "CoLT's" (cell on wheels or cell on light truck) from all the major companies, tmobile, verizon, att, etc...

they sit near north east corner of the polo fields, off of monroe and avenue 50 I think..

SFChrissy
04-23-2009, 11:00 AM

One of our girls didn't have a phone and it was madness for her and any of us trying to find her, she vowed never to do coachella without a phone. She enjoyed venturing off by herself but when she was ready to join the rest of us scattered accross the field she couldn't cause she didnt know where any of us where and couldn't call...

Carnie100
04-23-2009, 11:09 AM

All I'm saying is that they should prepare for big events like this better.

My one complaint about no coverage is that you can't meet up with people and that's sort of a pain in the ass. I guess in the future I'll set up meeting points.

gooftroop
04-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I almost never say this...but Sprint did me proud this weekend.

AT&T seemed overwhelmed with all the iphone usage. I never had any problems.

bakersfield
04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
T-Mobile (which sucks often), was perfect over the weekend.

algunz
04-23-2009, 11:16 AM
I prefer to be uncontactable. Unfortunately everbody kept calling me, fuckers.

Cpt. Funkaho
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I had only sporadic issues with texting latency on my iPhone, mostly on Friday.

On Saturday I figured out the power-cycling trick. That worked fine for me; it's not like I was updating my Facebook status every 5 minutes or something.

Also, I never had trouble making or receiving an actual call - just text messages, and only once in a while (Hannah sent me one Friday night that I didn't get until Sat. morning, for instance).

Havocquarm
04-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I am on At&T and found the better part of the weekend to have good reception and little lag. The only times that the reception was sort of bad was during the night time shows, which I was too busy watching to give a shit about what was going on with my phone.

mountmccabe
04-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I almost never say this...but Sprint did me proud this weekend.

I have Sprint too and don't think I had any problems. But who knows, maybe there are still lagging messages lurking out there somewhere.

There were people I couldn't get through to but no one could get through to them so it was likely their coverage, not mine.

*SURREAL*
04-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I was getting my text no problem , i have Verizon , but you know who ( @ carnie ) who wasnt get'n my text till later .

mattpach
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Every time I stepped in the Sahara my phone would not work for a couple of hours.

I have AT&T

spektrum
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
T-mobile sucked completely. No service after 6pm and at 5 am I'd end up with 8 texts. lame.

coachellaforever09
04-27-2009, 04:13 PM
glad to hear everyone else was having this problem...and that it wasnt just me. haha.

but yeah, totally annoying. I hate how I wouldnt get a text for over an hour, and then recieve 6 at the same time. so weird.

SFChrissy
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Nonetheless...this is nothing new except to new coachella atendees...

leo01g
04-27-2009, 06:25 PM

yes! Verizon does rock

karecares
04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
yes! Verizon does rock
agreed but my battery died on each day and the recharge tent did not have my charger there, i thought i packed mine but apparently i forgot :( luckily dawn had one i could borrow

SFChrissy
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
yes! Verizon does rockso does sprint

heyeric
04-27-2009, 07:44 PM
My friends seemed to have no trouble, they used Verizon.

cansei de ser sexme
04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Verizon--->Verizon only took a few minutes. Verizon--->AT&T took like 3 hours

Leeartlee
04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, it's impossible to meet people without coverage. It's just like back in 1985 when people were unable to find each other, ever. Without a constant source to connect you to everyone else, things could get pretty bleak. You can see old footage of this. Apparently, people would just wander around aimlessly hoping to find someone familiar. Sometimes their journeys would be fruitless and they would just curl up into the fetal position and die. It was so tragic. Millions of lives lost in previous music festivals.

Thank God that (eventually) all of our cells phones start working again. We are able to avert so much tragedy because of our life essential cell phones.

amyzzz
04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I have Qwest (which uses Sprint's network) and had no problems even though Qwest is phasing out their Wireless in October. Will be switching to AT&T soon to get the iphone, but I will keep this thread in mind.

neverclever
04-28-2009, 03:15 PM
When my phone stopped didn't work I just stopped in a middle of a field and cried.

p.s. This year was the first year my phone worked at all !

coldstart
04-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Get your amateur radio license.

deuxmio
04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I have AT&T and I had no service problems except at the end of the night when everyone was getting out.

Ardentbiscuit
04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
One of my favorite things is the bad coverage. I don't want to be bothered by the outside world when I'm at Coachella and I have a good excuse.

paganman7
04-29-2009, 01:42 PM
This was my 4th Coachella, and was the only Coachella where my phone did not work (I have T Mobile).