PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea: Voting for artists / headliners 2010

seandlr
04-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I personally felt that this years lineup wasn't that bad and I knew I was going all 3 days right when I saw it, but by visiting the message boards countless times a day I couldn't help but missing the "Killers dont deserve to be a headliner" threads, and the "Sahara sucks this year" also all the rumors on how sales were horrible this year ( I dont think anyone can actually confirm how well it went [only Golden Voice] ) so overall I assume that a majority of repetitive coachella-go'ers were somewhat dissapointed with the line up.
I know that the "We the People" festival (very shitty festival in my opinion but have SOMEWHAT solid lineups for the ticket price) which is held in L.A. every year is hosting online voting polls for fans to select who they want to see this year. (http://wtp.uservoice.com/pages/general)
I think having some form of a voting poll for us wouldn't be that bad of an idea, and I also think it would help ticket sales.
I know Golden Voice is very creative on their own and I know they have smart ticket sales speculations when the lineup is announced, and I know that not every artist wants to play Coachella (ex. David Bowie) but I feel this may help out GV a little bit and continue Coachella's legacy.

cormaic
04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Judging by the massive crowds on all three days- in particular the clusterfuck of people walking around the sahara/mojave area saturday night, I'd say ticket sales were pretty damn good this year

seandlr
04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
but not a sell out

boarderwoozel3
04-20-2009, 08:50 PM
The people who were bagging on the Sahara this year got served. Truth.

PassiveTheory
04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Well... ATP does do a thing where they let fans pick the bands... I don't know, I think you could be bargaining for a fucking disaster here. I mean, you'd have to open it to the general public, and we'd end up with Slightly Stoopid and Pepper being booked for the festival. Or worse. Hmmm...

morelifefucker
04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
maybe just let us pick one headliner for one night, give us like three choices.

seandlr
04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
i agree, i think if it was freely operated blink 182 would have headlined (thank god they didnt) but i would leav it up to GV to work it out and do what they do best

PassiveTheory
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
But that's a contradiction, dude. You want to leave it up to GV to do what they do best but you're basically criticizing their headliner choice(s) by asking for a direct say in who gets booked.

tsunamijoel
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
the turnout was the second best in coachella history

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/04/coachella-2009-second-biggest-turnout.html

seandlr
04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
But that's a contradiction, dude. You want to leave it up to GV to do what they do best but you're basically criticizing their headliner choice(s) by asking for a direct say in who gets booked.

i agree, but like i said, i didnt really have a problem with the headliners, but a lot of people did, im just throwing out the idea to help out a lil.

p.s. passive, i saw you during no age, moshing. it was great wasnt it?

PassiveTheory
04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Alright, that's fair.

And yes, No Age were amazing. Best crowd of the entire weekend for sure.

psycobetabuckdown
04-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Saturday had to have sold out. That day was packed more than Friday. Not just around the Sahara, around the main stage too, at the same time. There's no way it didn't sell out. I bet a lot of people bought tickets on the day of the show.

tigermilkboy
04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Saturday had to have sold out. That day was packed more than Friday. Not just around the Sahara, around the main stage too, at the same time. There's no way it didn't sell out. I bet a lot of people bought tickets on the day of the show.

I'm guessing a lot of Fridays crowd ie. the older McCartney fans didn't show up till later.

supersugar
04-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Here's mine:
1st off, Oingo Boingo has to do a reunion... I know this would draw a huge west coast somewhat older crowd, but it has to happen!
2nd: Beastie Boys, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers-would be my headliner favs
3rd: Repeats: Radiohead (I missed them in 04?!) Tool--always amazing, Beck--so cool
3rd: Not headliners but should play next year: Santigold, Roots Manuva, Neko Case, Amon Tobin, Muse, M83, Ryan Adams (is that enough variety?)

tuffy
04-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Whoever is listening.
Please. These.

Passion Pit
Bat For Lashes
Menomena
Phoenix
Basement Jaxx
Shearwater
Burial
Marnie Stern
Blind Pilot
Project Jenny Project Jan
The Knife
Ladyhawke
Panther
Muse
The Temper Trap
The Presets (again. They ruled)
Friendly Fires (at a better time)
White Denim
Wavves
Clinic
Feist
PJ FUCKING HARVEY

greghead
04-24-2009, 12:19 AM
This isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship, a sweet, lovely dictatorship.

I would rather GV surprise us like they always do.

Iamjoeswastdlife
04-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Here's mine:
1st off, Oingo Boingo has to do a reunion... I know this would draw a huge west coast somewhat older crowd, but it has to happen!
2nd: Beastie Boys, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers-would be my headliner favs
3rd: Repeats: Radiohead (I missed them in 04?!) Tool--always amazing, Beck--so cool
3rd: Not headliners but should play next year: Santigold, Roots Manuva, Neko Case, Amon Tobin, Muse, M83, Ryan Adams (is that enough variety?)

I like just about everything you have to say here. Especially the first point.

oftheheartofthesoul
04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
This festival has the world's best taste in music. I trust them.

tencate
04-26-2009, 04:20 PM
i like surprises

obzen
04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Coachella 2010 headliners:
Bjork/Tool/Radiohead

win.

feather
04-26-2009, 06:09 PM
The people who were bagging on the Sahara this year got served. Truth.

:thu

Burial...yes!

frazzles
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
This idea, while good in theory, just screams disaster in practice.

oldhippie
01-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I like just about everything you have to say here. Especially the first point.

I mostly agree with your choices for lineups..they're WAY better than what i've seen advertised so far. If it was up to me?.. Uriah Heep, Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent, Loverboy, Foghat, Kiss, Flock of Seagulls, Led Zeppelin reunion, Journey, Reo Speedwagon, Dokken, Van Halen... WHATEVER HAPPENED TO ALL THESE GOOD BANDS? Too many youngsters that like to smash into eachother, i guess.