PDA

View Full Version : Was Any1 else Pepper Sprayed by Security while leaving Sunday

NappyWhiteKid
04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm wondering because I was, and I would like to know if anyone else's yearly pilgrimage to the Coachella Valley may have been ruined by the same trigger-happy security guard while leaving Sunday Night.

I'm not trying to be dramatic and I can't 100% say he ruined the entire amazing experience that was Coachella 09. But as all festivals go, at the end of the last night you have a remorse, something like loosing an old friend. But with Coachella you also look forward to beginning the countdown again January 1st, right before the dates are announced. Well this year I didn't really get to relish in missing my old friend. Because I was pepper sprayed by a security guard while leaving "La Familia Divina-Shrine." I really want to know if this happened to anyone else.

Here's how it happened to me.

We, two friends and me, were making one last loop through the festival grounds after The Cure finally stopped their Unplugged set, and I understand there may be a noise ordinance so they had to be unplugged, but they ROCKED it just using their monitors. As we were leaving we heard a chant coming from the "La Familia Divina-Shrine." It first sounded like a drum circle, but when we got closer we notices a crowd surrounding the "Shrine" and chanting and singing. Inside the "Shrine" a packed crowd began singing and chanting Coa-Chel-La, Coa-Chel-La [There are some videos I saw people taking so I hope they end up on You-Tube]. It was surreal. To me really epitomized the spirit of love at the Arts & Music Fest.

Soon, the security began to come in and clear out the "Shrine." At that time, a blond was up crowd surfing, and the security guy began to push people to the door. I headed for the door where he was directing people and no sooner did I step outside to see another security guard and... WHAMM...

It felt like a bottle, and its entire contents of alcohol, had been shattered across my eyes and face. Everything went white and then black, I was suddenly blind. My entire head was engulfed in a scratching, burning sensation. I scrambled to see but couldn't, and wiping my face with my shirt only made it worse because my shirt was drenched in the spray too.

After fruitlessly stumbling to two separate empty ice and water stations, I literally ran into of my friend and poured the remaining contents of his water bottle into my eyes to flush them out. [Note: this experience taught me that water only intensifies Pepper Sprays effects] With my eyes slightly flushed and vision still blurry I made one more effort to flush my eyes before heading to my lock to leave. [I have never wanted to leave Coachella worse, and I doubt the feeling will ever be as bad].

Since the water refill station was still open I headed there to try and flush my eyes one more time. When I told the kid working what happened he said " I would like to help you but I don't have a bottle man" to which I cupped my hands and placed them under the spigot. I used two cupped hands full of water to once again flush my eyes and sooth my burning face. My friends quickly got the contents of the locker and I blotted my face with my non-pepper sprayed hoody. [Note: this actually helped].

With the help of my friends and slightly improving vision I was able to find and unlock my bike. I took the time to ask the two horse police at the edge of the handicapped parking what to use for the pepper spray pain. They had a few pieces of advise but nothing that was immediately accessible [Note: For skin they said to use a baking soda and water mixture]. In general they seemed incredibly shocked. [I guess the horse police at Coachella don't carry pepper spray like the security inside] With the help of some great friends I was able to get back to our hotel, about 1.5 miles away.

Though saying this one trigger-happy security guard may have preemptively ended my yearly pilgrimages to the Coachella Valley, may be a knee-jerk reaction, I Can with 100% certainty that this will be the Coachella that I remember as the Worst Ending to a Festival Ever. So why did I have you read this? Again, I want to know if this happened to anyone else.

Also thanks to the few of your random crowd people who helped direct me towards water and things to blot my eyes with.

[Now a note to the security guard if for some reason you read message boards.]

I was leaving man. The other security guard asked me to leave and I did, I was going to my locker and then my bike, without your help! That "Shrine" chant was AMAZING, possibly one of the best, most international, free experiences ever; thanks for prematurely snapping me back to reality with possibly one of the worst experiences of my life.

Peace
-NWK

HandBanana
04-20-2009, 06:00 PM
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31192

DJdharma
04-20-2009, 06:30 PM
NicoleL got sprayed too!

mfnalaska
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I am so sorry that this happened to you. I wasn't sprayed, but my friend apparently rushed the line (stupidly) and had the shit kicked out of him (unnecessarily)-- literally beaten past consciousness-- while he was cuffed by about six huge security guards. They dragged him out of sight before they hurt him. The more of these stories about overzealous security guards I'm seeing, the more obvious it is that we all have some horrible shared experiences in what was an otherwise amazing weekend.

TheWatcher
04-20-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm wondering which security guards these were? I know there were uniformed police, security guards in yellow, and marines in those beige t-shirts. Was it the police with the pepper spray? Confusing... Looking at video of the drumming on the art house thing, it didn't seem like it warranted pepper spray or anything. Some of the security guards look like they want something to happen... Creepy.

NappyWhiteKid
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
The Security guard that came into the hut to direct people had one of those beige-event t-shirts on, not sure about the one who blasted me in the eye.

Vahe312
04-21-2009, 10:06 AM
i got sprayed toooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i was chanting and dancing and finally accepting the fact that my perfect weekend was soon ending, when i noticed my cousin was (who was standing right next to me) was missing....

I took a few steps to look for him, and i was pushed out. Immediately after, an officer with a shaved head approached me and yelled at me to get the hell out of there.. not being too sober at the time, i stood there in my confusion and said "what are you talking about?" right then and there he sprayed me!

Do they have a right to use pepperspray without a fair warning and absolutely NO resistance????

also... does anyone have a video of inside the shrine or us getting peppersrayed??

Dogvolta
04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm wondering because I was, and I would like to know if anyone else's yearly pilgrimage to the Coachella Valley may have been ruined by the same trigger-happy security guard while leaving Sunday Night.

I'm not trying to be dramatic and I can't 100% say he ruined the entire amazing experience that was Coachella 09. But as all festivals go, at the end of the last night you have a remorse, something like loosing an old friend. But with Coachella you also look forward to beginning the countdown again January 1st, right before the dates are announced. Well this year I didn't really get to relish in missing my old friend. Because I was pepper sprayed by a security guard while leaving "La Familia Divina-Shrine." I really want to know if this happened to anyone else.

Here's how it happened to me.

We, two friends and me, were making one last loop through the festival grounds after The Cure finally stopped their Unplugged set, and I understand there may be a noise ordinance so they had to be unplugged, but they ROCKED it just using their monitors. As we were leaving we heard a chant coming from the "La Familia Divina-Shrine." It first sounded like a drum circle, but when we got closer we notices a crowd surrounding the "Shrine" and chanting and singing. Inside the "Shrine" a packed crowd began singing and chanting Coa-Chel-La, Coa-Chel-La [There are some videos I saw people taking so I hope they end up on You-Tube]. It was surreal. To me really epitomized the spirit of love at the Arts & Music Fest.

Soon, the security began to come in and clear out the "Shrine." At that time, a blond was up crowd surfing, and the security guy began to push people to the door. I headed for the door where he was directing people and no sooner did I step outside to see another security guard and... WHAMM...

It felt like a bottle, and its entire contents of alcohol, had been shattered across my eyes and face. Everything went white and then black, I was suddenly blind. My entire head was engulfed in a scratching, burning sensation. I scrambled to see but couldn't, and wiping my face with my shirt only made it worse because my shirt was drenched in the spray too.

After fruitlessly stumbling to two separate empty ice and water stations, I literally ran into of my friend and poured the remaining contents of his water bottle into my eyes to flush them out. [Note: this experience taught me that water only intensifies Pepper Sprays effects] With my eyes slightly flushed and vision still blurry I made one more effort to flush my eyes before heading to my lock to leave. [I have never wanted to leave Coachella worse, and I doubt the feeling will ever be as bad].

Since the water refill station was still open I headed there to try and flush my eyes one more time. When I told the kid working what happened he said " I would like to help you but I don't have a bottle man" to which I cupped my hands and placed them under the spigot. I used two cupped hands full of water to once again flush my eyes and sooth my burning face. My friends quickly got the contents of the locker and I blotted my face with my non-pepper sprayed hoody. [Note: this actually helped].

With the help of my friends and slightly improving vision I was able to find and unlock my bike. I took the time to ask the two horse police at the edge of the handicapped parking what to use for the pepper spray pain. They had a few pieces of advise but nothing that was immediately accessible [Note: For skin they said to use a baking soda and water mixture]. In general they seemed incredibly shocked. [I guess the horse police at Coachella don't carry pepper spray like the security inside] With the help of some great friends I was able to get back to our hotel, about 1.5 miles away.

Though saying this one trigger-happy security guard may have preemptively ended my yearly pilgrimages to the Coachella Valley, may be a knee-jerk reaction, I Can with 100% certainty that this will be the Coachella that I remember as the Worst Ending to a Festival Ever. So why did I have you read this? Again, I want to know if this happened to anyone else.

Also thanks to the few of your random crowd people who helped direct me towards water and things to blot my eyes with.

[Now a note to the security guard if for some reason you read message boards.]

I was leaving man. The other security guard asked me to leave and I did, I was going to my locker and then my bike, without your help! That "Shrine" chant was AMAZING, possibly one of the best, most international, free experiences ever; thanks for prematurely snapping me back to reality with possibly one of the worst experiences of my life.

Peace
-NWK

Holy shit man, my heart goes out to you. I wish I could have been there to just help pepper sprayed people out, that is just too wrong.

canexplain
04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I am not trying to minimize what happened to the people that got sprayed but: I have been sprayed a bunch at fests and many demonstrations …. Years from now when you look back, these will be some of the days you remember most and laugh about it …. Cr****

Devin the Dude
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
good thing the festival is moving. it's because indio has a stick up it's collective ass. anyone working there is a total dick. except, ironically, the police.

faxman75
04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
moving? lulz

Devin the Dude
04-21-2009, 12:04 PM
so has been rumored. as it should, because the polo fields are getting tired of us breaking indio sound curfew every year.

DHARMA2112
04-21-2009, 12:05 PM
^^^

Then they are stupid. They really can't put up with 3 days out of the year? And when you consider how much money the locals make from concertgoers.

DHARMA2112
04-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Anyone else a bit skeptical about this guys story. I have a hard time believing that some guard was waiting outside the door to just spray some unexpected person when leaving.

EDIT: I saw the video (not of the spraying) - but of the people not leaving and chanting. So I'm sure a couple people got sprayed. I still doubt they sprayed him for no reason. Either way, I don't think Pepper Spray is necessary - unless the person is going ape shit nuts.

NappyWhiteKid
04-21-2009, 01:29 PM
DHARMA2112 I didn't put this up for people feel sorry for me and if you don't believe me, that up to you.

I never said "he was waiting out side to spray ME," I said I walked out the door and was immediately sprayed.

I'm not relieved that other people got sprayed too. But the one obvious thing that came out of this is, people who carelessly, and without accuracy, use a weapon in a crowd [and yes pepper spray is considered a weapon], catch people in the cross fire and make the security, in general, look callous and unprofessional.

-Peace
NWK

Vahe312
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyone else a bit skeptical about this guys story. I have a hard time believing that some guard was waiting outside the door to just spray some unexpected person when leaving.

EDIT: I saw the video (not of the spraying) - but of the people not leaving and chanting. So I'm sure a couple people got sprayed. I still doubt they sprayed him for no reason. Either way, I don't think Pepper Spray is necessary - unless the person is going ape shit nuts.

Dharma, I'm not even joking.. I was pushed out of the shrine.. i looked around for no more than 3 seconds to find my cousin.. an officer came up to me and told me to "get the fuck out of here"... i replied by saying "what the hell are you talking about?" and right then and there he sprayed me.

Either way, I had a lot of fun all weekend, and now I have a story to tell about coach '09

TomAz
04-21-2009, 03:03 PM
"We're sorry sir, you'll have to leave, the store is closing."

"Just let me and my crowd of friends finish dancing in your aisles. We'll only be a while longer"

"You have to go"

"No"

pffffffffffft

SubBass49
04-21-2009, 03:07 PM
lol

I'm sorry, but you think that being a cop/security guard in a situation like that is easy or fun? I seriously doubt it. They probably had visions of Woodstock 99 dancing in their heads and didn't want to be the guy or girl that let shit get out of hand. Also, when you're facing a mob mentality (which that was, you can't deny) you're gonna do what you have to in order to defend yourself.

PS - This is coming from a guy that has protested police brutality for over a decade, and taken tear gas & rubber bullets.

Sexecutioner
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
lol

I'm sorry, but you think that being a cop/security guard in a situation like that is easy or fun? I seriously doubt it. They probably had visions of Woodstock 99 dancing in their heads and didn't want to be the guy or girl that let shit get out of hand. Also, when you're facing a mob mentality (which that was, you can't deny) you're gonna do what you have to in order to defend yourself.

PS - This is coming from a guy that has protested police brutality for over a decade, and taken tear gas & rubber bullets.

you are a douche.

there was no reason to use that kind of force. there was no violence or resistance by anybody whatsoever. fuck you and fuck those cops.

SubBass49
04-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Guess you're just not that bright then son. You're entitled to your opinion, but have you ever been in a position where you were outnumbered, oh, let's say 1,000 to one by people who had been drinking/drugging all weekend and were ramping up in their mob-mentality and not listening to a thing you had to say?

Yeah...didn't think so.

Neither have I.

I wouldn't want to face that kinda situation either.

Therefore I cant blame 'em for evening the odds a bit.

So go fuck yourself kid.

Gain a little life experience and a little common sense and then get back to me.

SubBass49
04-21-2009, 05:03 PM
By the way...what kind of force would have liked them to use?

Maybe they could have given shoulder massages to the asshats to get 'em to leave?

Handjobs perhaps?

As far as non-lethal force goes, pepper spray is about the tamest shit you're gonna find. They could have used rubber bullets...ever been hit with one? You'd prefer pepper spray. How about tear gas? Yeah...again...pepper spray is better. Maybe beanbag rounds? Gimme pepper spray any day.

Delta
04-21-2009, 09:02 PM
This message is for Nappywhitekid, anyone who doubts that what we are saying is true, or the half-brained dimwit's who think that being maced in the eyes was a justifiable action.

I was maced also, and no I am NOT pulling this out of my ass. If you look at the video, you see people slapping the wood structure making a drum beat. Keep in mind, this is a wood structure, and not a human. I was doing the same thing, having an amazing time, and this isn't out of line. Tell this pathetic fuck of a police department to get a LOUD SPEAKER. How about that one, you inconsiderate moron, who thinks that mace was the only way to handle this situation. I wasn't acting aggressively, I wasn't being violent, hell, I wasn't even YELLING at the police. I turned my back around as I was about to leave and BAM, some sick fuck of a human with a badge soaks my eyes and face, leaving me feeling like my eyes are LITERALLY on fire. I blindly wandered myself as far away from this as I could and sat along a chain link fence. I was the only one left in this entire area of the festival just sitting on the ground trying anything within my power to be able to SEE again so I could get up and leave. Finally two security guards with yellow jackets came up and I told them what had happened, that I had been maced. They were kind enough to supply me with a water bottle to desperately dump into my open eyes, ears, mouth, and skin all over my face. I said "fuck these pigs" and thanked them for the water, and I left. This is a disgusting display of what happens when power-abusing, self-loathing fucks are given a gun and a can of mace. I believe in karma, and trust me, their road isn't looking too pretty ahead.

-godspeed

SubBass49
04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Lesson I learned long ago:

If a cop tells you to move, you should move. Not when you feel like it. Not when you're done slapping someone's artwork. Not when you get around to it. Right after he or she says to.

There are battles worth fighting, and this wasn't one.

I watched the video, and I saw people that had PIECES of the shrine in their hands, banging them on the shrine itself. Not fucking cool.

I saw someone being crowdsurfed INSIDE the shrine. Not fucking cool.

I saw people CLIMBING on the shrine. Not fucking cool.

I also heard a cop on video telling people to leave or they'd get maced. Some left quickly, and some didn't.

Did he not give you enough warning? Are you one of the people that tried to give the cops a hard time by lingering? It's the same reason you don't tickle rattlesnakes for shits & giggles...you might get bit, but it's a bitch move to cry about it when it happens because of your own actions.

I don't give a shit if you though it was a great time or not...that's someone else's art that they chose to SHARE with you. But you (and other dimwits) thought that fucking with it would be cute.

Looks like karma sprayed you in the eyes & mouth.

lusciouslou
04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
can someone post the video on here plz!!!!

Delta
04-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Lesson I learned long ago:

If a cop tells you to move, you should move. Not when you feel like it. Not when you're done slapping someone's artwork. Not when you get around to it. Right after he or she says to.

There are battles worth fighting, and this wasn't one.

I watched the video, and I saw people that had PIECES of the shrine in their hands, banging them on the shrine itself. Not fucking cool.

I saw someone being crowdsurfed INSIDE the shrine. Not fucking cool.

I saw people CLIMBING on the shrine. Not fucking cool.

I also heard a cop on video telling people to leave or they'd get maced. Some left quickly, and some didn't.

Did he not give you enough warning? Are you one of the people that tried to give the cops a hard time by lingering? It's the same reason you don't tickle rattlesnakes for shits & giggles...you might get bit, but it's a bitch move to cry about it when it happens because of your own actions.

I don't give a shit if you though it was a great time or not...that's someone else's art that they chose to SHARE with you. But you (and other dimwits) thought that fucking with it would be cute.

Looks like karma sprayed you in the eyes & mouth.

Listen Sub,

I received NO warning. Not fucking cool.

I'm not here to argue with people like you who feel they need to voice their less than adequate opinion about a matter that concerns them not in the least bit. While you were jerking off in an outhouse I was enjoying myself at a festival. Done.

SubBass49
04-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Listen Sub,

I received NO warning. Not fucking cool.

I'm not here to argue with people like you who feel they need to voice their less than adequate opinion about a matter that concerns them not in the least bit. While you were jerking off in an outhouse I was enjoying myself at a festival. Done.

WTF are you even talking about?

You mean no cop tapped you specifically on the shoulder and told you specifically to leave? If I can hear a cop on a fucking youtube video telling people shit like "that's enough, time to leave, leave now or we'll use mace..." then you ought to have heard it in person...IF you were one of the asshats banging on the shrine.

But please explain to me how my opinion is "less than adequate," or were you just using random big words in the hopes that it would make you sound smart?

My opinions about this count because:

- For over a decade I have been an anti police-brutality protestor/activist
- I have been in plenty of protests where police were armed with non lethal weapons
- I have been shot at with rubber bullets & tear gas during a protest, not for anything I personally did, but because of the people I was surrounding myself with
- I didn't get mad at the cops that did that to me, because I placed myself in the situation knowing full well what could happen
- When told to disperse/leave, I did
- I have been to EVERY Coachella and never had a problem with a cop or security guard (because I don't act like a total cunt towards them)

I think those points pretty much "qualify" me to talk about this situation as much as I want to...not as though I need to qualify for you or anyone else, but since you seemed to question the adequacy of my opinions, there ya go.

Bottom line:

You got maced for being involved in a situation you shouldn't have been involved in. Move on with your life. Consider it a learning experience. Next time a cop tells you to move/leave, I'm guessing you'll move/leave. Don't expect me or anyone else to feel sorry for you.

Delta
04-21-2009, 11:26 PM
WTF are you even talking about?

You mean no cop tapped you specifically on the shoulder and told you specifically to leave? If I can hear a cop on a fucking youtube video telling people shit like "that's enough, time to leave, leave now or we'll use mace..." then you ought to have heard it in person...IF you were one of the asshats banging on the shrine.

But please explain to me how my opinion is "less than adequate," or were you just using random big words in the hopes that it would make you sound smart?

My opinions about this count because:

- For over a decade I have been an anti police-brutality protestor/activist
- I have been in plenty of protests where police were armed with non lethal weapons
- I have been shot at with rubber bullets & tear gas during a protest, not for anything I personally did, but because of the people I was surrounding myself with
- I didn't get mad at the cops that did that to me, because I placed myself in the situation knowing full well what could happen
- When told to disperse/leave, I did
- I have been to EVERY Coachella and never had a problem with a cop or security guard (because I don't act like a total cunt towards them)

I think those points pretty much "qualify" me to talk about this situation as much as I want to...not as though I need to qualify for you or anyone else, but since you seemed to question the adequacy of my opinions, there ya go.

Bottom line:

You got maced for being involved in a situation you shouldn't have been involved in. Move on with your life. Consider it a learning experience. Next time a cop tells you to move/leave, I'm guessing you'll move/leave. Don't expect me or anyone else to feel sorry for you.

What the hell are you on?

*NO, I didn't feel, hear, see, taste, or smell a cop anywhere around me.

*I have 'moved on with my life' .....wtf?

There were people yelling all around me, I don't have fuckin' sonar....

Trust me, I learned a few things about the Indio police department..haha

I did nothing illegal or immoral, I turned my back around and got maced. So naturally when a jackass like you comes along on his high horse and thinks he knows everything about everything, I'm going to fill you in on the reality of the situation. Life is too short to spend in an internet combat, but I wanted to let people know what the truth of the matter is. I'm not asking you to feel sorry for me, or anyone for that matter. Fuck that. Just be aware that people were maced with no warning at coachella '09.

I don't care how many years you spent getting shot with rubber bullets, getting your pathetic ass tear gas'd, or sucking your neighbors dick dry. I could care less about information that is wholly irrelevant to the events that took place.

And just in case you still didn't process this through your thick skull;

I DIDN'T HEAR OR SEE ANY POLICE OR SECURITY AROUND ME. I WAS NOT WARNED.

-Delta

Cpt. Funkaho
04-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Please tell me this isn't THE Delta.

Sexecutioner
04-21-2009, 11:49 PM
hey subbass,

a) this was not a protest or riot, so all of your "experience" in those matters doesnt apply you arrogant fuck. this was a bunch of people peacefully celebrating the end of a great weekend. i agree with you that its wrong of people to destroy the art, but i didnt see any of that. that thing was very sturdy. sure, people shouldnt climb on it, or tear pieces off, thats just wrong. but to slap it to make a beat is not a big deal if you ask me, nor is crowd surfing. neither of those hurt the art in any way as far as i could tell.

B) people were not warned. that video was shot from far outside the middle of that thing, and it was loud in there from everybody chanting and screaming. i couldnt hear shit besides that and had no idea the cops were there till i was yanked out from the middle part by my arm (which was fine by me). and since you asked, THAT is the kind of force i expect them to use. not "shoulder massages or handjobs", you jerkoff. they could yell through a bullhorn, then physically move them, and if they dont cooperate or threaten violence, THEN they should pull out the mace.

C)and even if they did hear the cops warning, you act like they disobeyed. everyone who said they were maced also said it happened as they were already starting to walk away. if you give somebody a warning, you need to give them a second to react to your warning. you cant just tell them to leave and then spray them before they even have a chance to move.

d)stop talking like you know what happened cuz you werent fucking there, and its very obvious. you've watched some video and are under the impression that these people were disobeying cops, and giving them an excuse to mace them, when really everybody was just having a fun time jumping around and making a drum beat, with no violence involved at all. then all of a sudden cops came in and started spraying people without giving them the chance to leave peacefully.

if you still want to think the cops were justified, then go ahead, but you really are an ignorant, arrogant, piece of shit.

Carnie100
04-21-2009, 11:50 PM
good thing the festival is moving. it's because indio has a stick up it's collective ass. anyone working there is a total dick. except, ironically, the police.

I'm not doubting your story, but what's your source?

SubBass49
04-22-2009, 05:54 AM

I did nothing illegal or immoral, I turned my back around and got maced. So naturally when a jackass like you comes along on his high horse and thinks he knows everything about everything, I'm going to fill you in on the reality of the situation. Life is too short to spend in an internet combat, but I wanted to let people know what the truth of the matter is. I'm not asking you to feel sorry for me, or anyone for that matter. Fuck that. Just be aware that people were maced with no warning at coachella '09.

I don't care how many years you spent getting shot with rubber bullets, getting your pathetic ass tear gas'd, or sucking your neighbors dick dry. I could care less about information that is wholly irrelevant to the events that took place.

-Delta

Cpt.Funkaho -

I think this really is THE Delta. No one else is that pre-occupied with the idea of guys sucking dick.

Delta -

It doesn't really matter to me what you say about your actions. I know that the truth of the matter probably is somewhere between your version of the story and the police version of the story. You'll never admit to any stupidity in the matter, and there's no video, so whatever.

All I know is that in all of my years of protesting, partying, etc. I have NEVER ONCE seen a cop pepper spray people for no reason, especially if they were following orders to disperse. What I HAVE seen is people trying to antagonize the police and get that sort of treatment.

Did ya let slip with a "fuck the police?"

Did you call 'em "pigs" and then try to scurry away?

All I'm saying is there had to be a reason your stupid ass got sprayed. Should you get sprayed for saying something dumb to a cop? Of course not, but take the right (wrong) situation and add that fuel to the fire, and don't act surprised if it happens.

Sexecutioner -

a). "Peacefully" celebrating by tearing off pieces of someone's artwork and climbing on it? Need I remind you of part of the description of the artwork from the schedule booklet?

...Spears family supershrine created out of re-used materials, trash, and over twenty years worth of drawings and paintings.
(emphasis is mine)

Sorry, but fuck these disrespectful fools. Let me make a beat on their life's work...shit...let me do that to someone's piece of shit CAR even. Let me climb on it and bang on it...let me rip a few pieces off and use 'em as drum sticks...then tell the cops when they show up that I'm just having fun and being "peaceful." Would you defend my actions?

b). You do realize that there were a shitload of people...a shitload more idiots than cops right? I seriously think you'd be singing a different tune if you were in the minority during the situation. I'm all for going after cops when they're corrupt, unjust, or violent without cause, but I also will stand up for their right to do what they have to do to get their job done and come home to their families in one piece at the end of the night. You seem to think that a small handful of cops should have individually grabbed and moved how many people? Be realistic.

c). Of course everyone says they were sprayed while walking away. They're not going to come on here asking for sympathy by saying they were being assholes. Usually in things like this, each side pushes their version of the truth, but no one is telling 100% truth. It's usually somewhere in between the two stories.

Not once in my experience have I ever seen a cop pepper-spray someone who was walking away peacefully though. Probably because they usually get nailed with some of the pepper-spray too (overspray, splash-back, etc)!

d). I've said before that I wasn't there, but keep ignoring it. I'm just using what's called COMMON SENSE. Maybe you've heard of it. Like Judge Judy says, "If it doesn't make sense, then it's probably not true." Does it really make sense that the cops would just run into the spot without warning and pepper-spray everyone? Of course it doesn't. But you'd like to believe it happened, so enjoy your little alternate reality.

I personally would LOVE to see video that proves me wrong. If I saw evidence of someone getting sprayed who had done nothing wrong I'd gladly back up that version of the story (not like a 10 second video that starts out like a second before they were sprayed, but one that showed what they were doing leading up to the spraying as well), but it's such an UNLIKELY and BIZARRE scenario that until i see evidence, I'm going to side with what life experience and reality have shown me...you know...the common sense version of the story.

Moral of the story:
If you're the type of person who bangs on, destroys, or climbs on someone's artwork that they've been working on for 20+ years, dont expect me to believe you're not a total asshole, or to believe everything you tell me.

The end.

Delta
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Subbass,

Why would you waste so much time arguing your point when you weren't even there, or remotely involved in the situation? You can't possibly think that without being there you know exactly what happened there can you?

If I heard someone say "move or I'm going to pepper spray you" I would run for the fuckin hills! lol...you may think I'm an idiot or an asshole, but even a 6 year old would get the fuck out of there if someone threatened that shit!!!! jesus man! get with it!!!!!

WHY DOESN'T THIS POLICE DEPARTMENT HAVE A LOUD SPEAKER?

That would solve the situation perfectly.

MissingPerson
04-22-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't think it's old Delta. Delta applied to be a cop, I can't imagine him badmouthing them now.

SubBass49
04-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Nah...he would if it served his purpose at the moment...

Delta - I can argue it because I feel like arguing it. I have seen video footage of the asshat factory going to town on the shrine, and as a long-time Coachella goer, I HATE how that makes us look. A handful of dickheads made us all look like we had no class. Now some of those same dickheads are whining about their treatment by the police. That makes us look even worse. I have invested 10 years and thousands of dollars in going to Coachella, and have every right to voice my opinion. You just don't like it because I have a point...otherwise I have a feeling you'd STFU and ignore what I have to say...not tell me I have no right to say it.

But please...find me video of EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

Change my mind.

I'd honestly love it if you could.

I'd be the first to admit that I was wrong if you found video evidence.

Delta
04-22-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't think it's old Delta. Delta applied to be a cop, I can't imagine him badmouthing them now.

no peoples, I am not the Delta you are thinking of O.o

Delta
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Nah...he would if it served his purpose at the moment...

Delta - I can argue it because I feel like arguing it. I have seen video footage of the asshat factory going to town on the shrine, and as a long-time Coachella goer, I HATE how that makes us look. A handful of dickheads made us all look like we had no class. Now some of those same dickheads are whining about their treatment by the police. That makes us look even worse. I have invested 10 years and thousands of dollars in going to Coachella, and have every right to voice my opinion. You just don't like it because I have a point...otherwise I have a feeling you'd STFU and ignore what I have to say...not tell me I have no right to say it.

But please...find me video of EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

Change my mind.

I'd honestly love it if you could.

I'd be the first to admit that I was wrong if you found video evidence.

What, you want me to sit back and submit to your horribly scewed perspective? I think not. You're a sick degenerate. Why would you try to force your opinions on others without a good deal of knowledge about what ACTUALLY happened? A youtube video is a pathetic view on the reality of the situation. Grab your popcorn and soda, pop in a DVD, then go argue about the movie on some other forum, because you're wasting all of our time.

SubBass49
04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Hahaha...sick degenerate?

Hahaha...wow...classic.

Yes...this 31 year old married man with a college education, a daughter, a career, and his own home is a sick degenerate because he doesn't believe the police go around pepper-spraying innocent people for shits & giggles.

I guess I'd be less of a degenerate if I just believed your little fairy tale without question, without hearing the cops' side, without video evidence, and without knowing you from any other dickhead that was trashing someone's artwork that took decades to create. That would make me much less of a sick degenerate.

You're a fucking idiot.

Like I said before...everyone has their own agenda and their own twist on the story to tell...show me some video to prove me wrong, or it's not worth your effort to type a response.

NappyWhiteKid
04-22-2009, 09:41 AM
SubBAss-

I've been pretty quiet on this message. What started as a "was I the only One?" simple question has erupted into 1 person, who protested, [edited since I read your age] I guess sometime in the 90s and has now viewed 1 youtube video from 1 persepective, internet fighting with multiple people who were at the Shrine, over how much force is "enough" when breaking up a crowd. Its hard for you to judge the force needed since you weren't there isn't it. I've been in actual "riots," and the situation at the Shrine was no where near the size or intensity of those. So please keep in mind that yes every situation is individual so before you go comparing it to your sit-ins or Tea Parties get an assessment of the situation at hand.

Also your argument about being in the minority is moot. As a security guard, and I've worked security, you know that you are the minority, and you are trained in other ways of detaining problem individuals without recklessly discharging a weapon in a crowd. You sign on to be the minority, you're paid to be in the minority, that's why there isn't 1 security guard for every festival goer. So you can't use the "oh look there were so many festival goers and so few security", the difference is security has training and strategic plans to deal with this situation. If you discharge your weapon out of fear, instead of following your trainingm you weren't prepared and obviously not doing your job correctly.

Your argument about the destruction of a piece of art work that you 1. Didn't create, so you can't speak on the artist's intentions and 2. was made of recycled and reused material for an art festival to be enjoyed and experience, is invalid because well you were not the artist.

If you were the artist your "OMG your destroying my artwork" is valid, but since your not I'd like to actually hear from the artist.

Some artist feel that their work is meant to be experienced, touched, and yes even sometimes used to create and inspire, (as in music, and yeah a drum circle). Think about it every sculpture at Coachella invokes participation. Why, because this Shrine is older, or made of wood, is it less tangible than the Serpent mother?

And guess what I am not the artist, so I may be wrong to. But I'm not wrong that warning, and allowing time to react before breaking out pepper spray is common protocol in "hostile situations" [which you may believe this was with all your first hand experience in the La Familia Divina-Shrine Sunday night Drum Circle.] If crisis management can go into a prison situation, and qualm an actual riot without knee-jerk pepper spay reactions, than then clearing out a 5 x 5 foot Shrine should not require such force.

Since we can only speculate, and since the artist hasn't reacted, yet. I'm going to speculate that pepper spraying people near a piece of art, that according to the artist statement that was put in the Coachella booklet [sorry i don't have the verbatim on me], Was there to inspire and ward off evil and naysayers, seems diametrically opposed to the spirit of the piece of art, and would be more likely to upset the artist than a drum circle.

If the artist is out there please respond. But, until then, if your going to post on the situation from Sunday, please only talk to what you know, your experiences that night, the 1 or 2 videos you may have seen, even the news paper articles that mentioned it.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/music/east_bay_art_rocks_coachella/Content?oid=966815

[Hmm... and nowhere seemed to speak of destruction or hostility.]

Peace

NWK

Delta
04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Hahaha...sick degenerate?

Hahaha...wow...classic.

Yes...this 31 year old married man with a college education, a daughter, a career, and his own home is a sick degenerate because he doesn't believe the police go around pepper-spraying innocent people for shits & giggles.

I guess I'd be less of a degenerate if I just believed your little fairy tale without question, without hearing the cops' side, without video evidence, and without knowing you from any other dickhead that was trashing someone's artwork that took decades to create. That would make me much less of a sick degenerate.

You're a fucking idiot.

Like I said before...everyone has their own agenda and their own twist on the story to tell...show me some video to prove me wrong, or it's not worth your effort to type a response.

You kiss your daughter with that mouth!?!?!?

O.K. but in all seriousness, I wasn't one of the people "trashing" any piece of artwork. You have it in your head that I was the guy climbing on top of it or ripping pieces off of it...this is not true Sub. I was an innocent bystander that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I agree with you that they should not have been destroying the beautiful piece in any way--that would be wildly disrespectful to the artist and to the festival. I was simply walking by, and then without fair warning took a blast of mace in my eyes. Does this clear it up any?

Sexecutioner
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
It doesn't really matter to me what you say about your actions. I know that the truth of the matter probably is somewhere between your version of the story and the police version of the story.

All I know is that in all of my years of protesting, partying, etc. I have NEVER ONCE seen a cop pepper spray people for no reason, especially if they were following orders to disperse.

What I HAVE seen is people trying to antagonize the police and get that sort of treatment.

Did ya let slip with a "fuck the police?"

Did you call 'em "pigs" and then try to scurry away?

All I'm saying is there had to be a reason your stupid ass got sprayed. Should you get sprayed for saying something dumb to a cop? Of course not, but take the right (wrong) situation and add that fuel to the fire, and don't act surprised if it happens.

after reading these insanely retarded ASSumptions, there is obviously no point in arguing with you subbass, since you are determined to base your opinion on false assumptions and "life experiences" which have nothing to do with the subject at hand. just because you and your dumb ass protester friends antagonized cops before they fucked you up in the past, doesnt mean thats what happened at coachella. this was a celebration, not a protest. if you were there, you would realize that. nobody was there to fight or taunt the police. the point is, every case is different, and your awesome community college education you like to brag about should have at least taught you that.

btw, i dont condone destroying art in any way, nor did i see anybody destroying the art. and like nwk said, coachella art is meant to be interactive, and thats what happened. people were interacting with it, not destroying it. i didnt see people breaking it or holding pieces of it in their hands like you claim. id like to see where in that video you see that. if thats the case, then those people were wrong, but either way, don't deserve to be maced.

SubBass49
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I've been pretty quiet...Peace

NWK

I've been to more protests/riots/etc. than you think, so to on one hand berate me for not knowing about something because I wasn't there personally (the Coachella incident), and on the other tell me I haven't experienced anything (when you yourself don't know me) comes off as pretty amusing/hypocritical/stupid. Take your pick of adjectives. What I posted was part of the artist statement FROM THE BOOKLET. It took over 20 years to create that shrine...20+ years of effort, emotion, sweat-equity. I can't imagine the artist would have been happy seeing the actions of the mental midgets Sunday night. But what would I know? I'm just an artist

You kiss your daughter with that mouth!?!?!?

O.K. but in all seriousness, I wasn't one of the people "trashing" any piece of artwork. You have it in your head that I was the guy climbing on top of it or ripping pieces off of it...this is not true Sub. I was an innocent bystander that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I agree with you that they should not have been destroying the beautiful piece in any way--that would be wildly disrespectful to the artist and to the festival. I was simply walking by, and then without fair warning took a blast of mace in my eyes. Does this clear it up any?

It does if I believe you. All I'm saying is that it's not a very logical situation. There is a chance that you were innocent and did nothing? I don't know. I just don't see cops running around spraying mace into people's eye for the fun of it. Maybe they got you mixed up with someone else? Who knows?

after reading these insanely retarded ASSumptions, there is obviously no point in arguing with you subbass, since you are determined to base your opinion on false assumptions and "life experiences" which have nothing to do with the subject at hand. just because you and your dumb ass protester friends antagonized cops before they fucked you up in the past, doesnt mean thats what happened at coachella. this was a celebration, not a protest. if you were there, you would realize that. nobody was there to fight or taunt the police. the point is, every case is different, and your awesome community college education you like to brag about should have at least taught you that.

btw, i dont condone destroying art in any way, nor did i see anybody destroying the art. and like nwk said, coachella art is meant to be interactive, and thats what happened. people were interacting with it, not destroying it. i didnt see people breaking it or holding pieces of it in their hands like you claim. id like to see where in that video you see that. if thats the case, then those people were wrong, but either way, don't deserve to be maced.

Pathetic. ANother person saying I don't know what I was talking about because I wasn't there, who in the next breath says things about me that they have no way of knowing because they don't know me. Make up your mind, son.

- I never taunted the cops at a protest.
- Just because this was a celebration doesn't mean shit...ever see Detroit celebrate an NBA championship?
- I actually have a Bachelors, a Masters, and a California CLAD Credential...all from a State-System University...so nice try.

digitaldragon03
04-22-2009, 02:09 PM
hey subbass,

a) this was not a protest or riot, so all of your "experience" in those matters doesnt apply you arrogant fuck. this was a bunch of people peacefully celebrating the end of a great weekend. i agree with you that its wrong of people to destroy the art, but i didnt see any of that. that thing was very sturdy. sure, people shouldnt climb on it, or tear pieces off, thats just wrong. but to slap it to make a beat is not a big deal if you ask me, nor is crowd surfing. neither of those hurt the art in any way as far as i could tell.

B) people were not warned. that video was shot from far outside the middle of that thing, and it was loud in there from everybody chanting and screaming. i couldnt hear shit besides that and had no idea the cops were there till i was yanked out from the middle part by my arm (which was fine by me). and since you asked, THAT is the kind of force i expect them to use. not "shoulder massages or handjobs", you jerkoff. they could yell through a bullhorn, then physically move them, and if they dont cooperate or threaten violence, THEN they should pull out the mace.

C)and even if they did hear the cops warning, you act like they disobeyed. everyone who said they were maced also said it happened as they were already starting to walk away. if you give somebody a warning, you need to give them a second to react to your warning. you cant just tell them to leave and then spray them before they even have a chance to move.

d)stop talking like you know what happened cuz you werent fucking there, and its very obvious. you've watched some video and are under the impression that these people were disobeying cops, and giving them an excuse to mace them, when really everybody was just having a fun time jumping around and making a drum beat, with no violence involved at all. then all of a sudden cops came in and started spraying people without giving them the chance to leave peacefully.

if you still want to think the cops were justified, then go ahead, but you really are an ignorant, arrogant, piece of shit.
This is exactly right. Nobody knew that the police were saying anything. I cant even see one cop in the video, even though he circles it a couple times.

digitaldragon03
04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
lFiysb7-ovU&hl

Huge riot with people hurting each other, burning cars, and attacking police!

NappyWhiteKid
04-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted bySubBass49 But what would I know? I'm just an artist

As am I, but neither of us are the artist of La Familia Divina Shrine and therefore can't speak on the artists intentions or reactions. Some art takes years to create, some mere second, and other art has a life of it's own, and the journey that the art travels and artifacts that is collects and loses actually shape the art. And again I do NOT condone destroying the art, but basing an argument on the assumption that this Shrine was fabricated over 20 + years and then meant to be preserved for all eternity, without any knowledge or conversation with the artist is just as bad as assuming that you are the only one posting on the message board with a masters. [ and I know that is not your direct quote or your intention with giving your educational background, but i am just describing an example]

As for being in the D when the Pistons won, no in fact I've never been to the D, but I was in Boston for 2 "Patriot Riots" and the "Original Red Sox World Series,"[In which I saw a rubber bullet was prematurely shot into the crowd that ultimately accidentally ended a young girls life, It hit her in the eye, story here (http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/october2004/241004distortedmentality.htm) again an individual event not the same as Sunday, and we can all Assume that everyone here gets that] all of which were considered both a celebration and a riot. However a riot "A riot is a form of civil disorder characterized by disorganized groups lashing out in a sudden and intense rash of violence" and as you can see from the videos there is not "intense rash of violence" this past Sunday, so yes I'm familiar with sports "riots" but at the celebration at the "Shrine" the festival goers weren't "violent," in fact the only violent acts came from the people in charge of crowd control and safety.

So we can all whip it out and get in a peeing contest about our past experiences in riots [which once again this was not], or we can ask for some answers and accountability for prematurely firing a non lethal weapon into a crowd with no warning, which is something I thought you would agree with.

NicoleL
04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I am urging anyone who was maced WITHOUT PREVIOUS WARNING by the police at the end of Sunday night OR WITNESSED THE EVENTS to file an official complaint, contact the Indio Police Department, and seek legal council. I received no warning, verbal or otherwise, before I was maced. National Institute of Justice recommends standard operating procedures that approve using pepper spray on "actively combative individuals who have resisted or ignored verbal commands," [NIJ TAP Report at p. 5.] The crowd was not combative nor resistant nor given adequate verbal commands. In the video footage you can hear an officer say "we're gonna mace somebody...you'll all get maced". This is barely audible in the video and was clearly not going to be audible to the entire crowd, especially those on the opposite side of the structure. The officer who maced me and those around me did not say anything before or while he maced the crowd, made no physical contact with the crowd, and made no attempts to get the crowds attention before he began using his weapon. The police did not attempt to use safe methods first such as sirens, megaphones, flashlights, or even raising their voices. Blinding a crowd of people is not safe and is not a practical way of mobilizing them toward an exit. Many of the people who were maced were simply making their way to the exit and stopped to see what was going on. I hope that no one sustained serious injuries and that the La Familia Divina-Shrine was not damaged.

Indio Police Department:
http://www.indiopd.org/contact.htm
Administrative Officer / Public Relations: Benjamin Guitron bguitron@indiopd.org
Chief's Office: (760) 391-4030

To file a complaint:
http://www.policeabuse.com/index.php?option=com_performs&formid=64

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfm8gyYZFn8

dantoro
04-22-2009, 04:36 PM
So sorry you had to deal w that dude.

im sorry but please tell me someone has pics? - im not sick and twisted but i always ppull out my camera when anything strikes me.

crazzz2007
04-22-2009, 04:47 PM

they were spraying people left and right, with absolutely no reason. my wife was sprayed in the eye at point blank range, for absolutely no reason. She was about 20 feet away from that stupid shrine.

EventHorizon
04-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I was chanting "Coa.Chel.La" right next to the shrine. I felt the imminent standoff. The Cure went late, and we all know the cops shuffle everyone out so the Dome can open for campers. I saw myself actively involved with a group destroying a piece of art, in a time where police were trying to get us to leave. So I backed away. That being said, the police should not have used pepper spray. Not enough time was given for everyone to orderly exit the shrine.

NappyWhiteKid
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Nicole`

I filed a report with the email that you gave earlier this morning, also I tried to call the # but to no avail. I also gave him a link to this message thread.

Were you the author of the sweet craigslist post too?

dantoro-

my buddy and some people have images of the chant, but I did not take any pictures, when my face was red due to skin irritation or of the bags that lingered for the next day and a half. When it happened mostly i was trying to flush my eyes. Not really the images that I wanted as my Coachella memories.

All,
Does anyone have a video from the inside? I was inside, basically exactly across from the view that exists in the current video Nicole referred to.

¿ülträs
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM

-Delta

I was peppersprayed straight up as i stood there to appreciate the fantastic'ness that is coachella. last night, literally like 10 minutes after the cure was officially off stage [no longer playing unplugged like the totally awesome badasses they still are :)]
i was walking up to go start drumming too when a cop, blue sweatshirt/cargopants/toolbelt of crowd controlling goodies walks up and as i look over and smile being all happy and shit, he makes eyecontact with me, smirks a bit and fucking raises his arm and SWSHHHHH over the crowd. Not stoppping the flow for like a minute. just plastering us all with out saying a word.
my eyes burned like fuck and when i went to go breathe in or talk, it was like parched or like unable to respond to muscle control.
i stood next to the dick as he just went for it. probably one of the few times he will get to ever just spray a crowd of people he's been dealing with the WHOLE weekend.
i kept hearing security and the like zoom bye on the karts and use words like 'they, all of them, etc' but it made me feel like it was two parties- us and them. not just an event of people interested in what was happening out in the desert.

i think its really unfortunate that i saw a separation this year, where as every other year its like a huge gathering. security/vendors are there cause they decided to be, not for the money. i felt an edge from the crowds where in past years i'd sneeze and get like 4 'bless you's' from surrounding festivalie's and this year people seemed irritated with so many people.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG MAN!? high five?

Sexecutioner
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
lFiysb7-ovU&hl

ha, thats my video. just uploaded it last night. i have one more, but its pretty much the same. too dark to see much of anything.

portisheadgrl88
04-22-2009, 09:54 PM
i didnt get to see the "riot" i left at 12 because my bf and i wanted to make it through with no traffic..and we were exhausted..i didnt find out about this until today.. im sorry guys this happened to you guys..hopefully next year would be a better year with the security/cops

oyeloca
04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
i got sprayed too ;/

*SURREAL*
04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
can someone post the video on here plz!!!!

just got to youtube and search coachella riot . it was getting out of hand . the same thing almost happened back in camp , the drum circle was going on till 4 in the morning , and security was following them around , i left and went to my tent . i was sure the security was going to get ugly , but thank god they didnt .

*SURREAL*
04-22-2009, 10:28 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pfm8gyYZFn8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pfm8gyYZFn8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

digitaldragon03
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
ha, thats my video. just uploaded it last night. i have one more, but its pretty much the same. too dark to see much of anything.
Post it, the audio alone is worth it.

SubBass49
04-23-2009, 06:20 AM
Originally posted bySubBass49 But what would I know? I'm just an artist

As am I, but neither of us are the artist of La Familia Divina Shrine and therefore can't speak on the artists intentions or reactions. Some art takes years to create, some mere second, and other art has a life of it's own, and the journey that the art travels and artifacts that is collects and loses actually shape the art. And again I do NOT condone destroying the art, but basing an argument on the assumption that this Shrine was fabricated over 20 + years and then meant to be preserved for all eternity, without any knowledge or conversation with the artist is just as bad as assuming that you are the only one posting on the message board with a masters. [ and I know that is not your direct quote or your intention with giving your educational background, but i am just describing an example]

As for being in the D when the Pistons won, no in fact I've never been to the D, but I was in Boston for 2 "Patriot Riots" and the "Original Red Sox World Series,"[In which I saw a rubber bullet was prematurely shot into the crowd that ultimately accidentally ended a young girls life, It hit her in the eye, story here (http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/october2004/241004distortedmentality.htm) again an individual event not the same as Sunday, and we can all Assume that everyone here gets that] all of which were considered both a celebration and a riot. However a riot "A riot is a form of civil disorder characterized by disorganized groups lashing out in a sudden and intense rash of violence" and as you can see from the videos there is not "intense rash of violence" this past Sunday, so yes I'm familiar with sports "riots" but at the celebration at the "Shrine" the festival goers weren't "violent," in fact the only violent acts came from the people in charge of crowd control and safety.

So we can all whip it out and get in a peeing contest about our past experiences in riots [which once again this was not], or we can ask for some answers and accountability for prematurely firing a non lethal weapon into a crowd with no warning, which is something I thought you would agree with.

Whatever man...I'm done arguing about this...you don't get it...maybe you never will. The only reason I posted any "qualifications" at all is that mine were challenged...it wasn't a pissing contest or bragging or anything else.

Good luck to all of you in seeking out your evil attackers who singled you out for no reason whatsoever. I'm sure a judge will have a good laugh at your expense if they ever see a lawsuit come out of this.

Delta
04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
hahahaha, I think it's hilarious how I was the one who was maced, and Subbass is the one who is pissed. jealous?????? LOL

SubBass49
04-23-2009, 12:14 PM
???

SubBass49
04-23-2009, 12:16 PM
BTW...side note:

Shrine:
A shrine, from the Latin scrinium (‘box’; also used as a desk, like the French bureau) is a holy or sacred place which is dedicated to a specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint or similar figure of awe and respect, at which they are venerated or worshipped.

Underlines are mine.

The Keymaster
04-23-2009, 05:07 PM
If I heard someone say "move or I'm going to pepper spray you" I would run for the fuckin hills!

Yeah. I was standing ten feet from all of this, completely clean and sober, and didn't hear one cop say anything even remotely like that. I didn't even hear anyone ask people to leave until after the pushing/pepper spray.

It's possible it could have been said inside the shrine or somewhere out of my earshot, but I doubt it. If someone has video/memory of the cops saying anything like that, I'd like to know.

O.K. but in all seriousness, I wasn't one of the people "trashing" any piece of artwork.

Some people in this thread make it sound as if people were tearing off pieces of the shrine and destroying it. Again, I didn't see anything like that. I saw people drumming on the walls, climbing on it and chanting. That's it.

Sexecutioner
04-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Shrine:
A shrine, from the Latin scrinium (‘box’; also used as a desk, like the French bureau) is a holy or sacred place which is dedicated to a specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint or similar figure of awe and respect, at which they are venerated or worshipped.

we were all praying to the coachella gods and thanking them for the feasts they had bestowed upon us that weekend.

ps. i think most of us already knew what a shrine was, but thanks for the definition you self righteous bastard.

Sexecutioner
04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Some people in this thread make it sound as if people were tearing off pieces of the shrine and destroying it. Again, I didn't see anything like that. I saw people drumming on the walls, climbing on it and chanting. That's it.

you didn't see anything like that because it didn't happen. the only person making those claims wasn't even there.

The Keymaster
04-23-2009, 05:20 PM
i think its really unfortunate that i saw a separation this year, where as every other year its like a huge gathering. security/vendors are there cause they decided to be, not for the money. i felt an edge from the crowds where in past years i'd sneeze and get like 4 'bless you's' from surrounding festivalie's and this year people seemed irritated with so many people.

As I walked out (still coughing from pepper spray) I overheard someone say that something seemed to be in the water on Sunday. I noticed a lot of pushy people over by the beer gardens (which, I suppose, isn't too surprising, but I've never had a problem with that before) and people were chucking full water bottles into the crowd during Public Enemy's set.

Sexecutioner
04-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Post it, the audio alone is worth it.

ynZjOHAilIU

NicoleL
04-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I contacted the author of this article about police (mis)use of pepper spray and mace:

http://www.nlg-npap.org/html/research/LWpepperspray.pdf

She is an attorney in Seattle. Here is her reply:

"Thanks for contacting me, Nichole, and yes I did write that article. I skimmed your horiffic account of what happened and also checked the Coachella blog for additional accounts. It appears that it was the private security guards who used pepper spray on you and others (for what reason, I can't tell). You will need to contact an attorney in southern California or the ACLU in Los Angeles for a referral to one. Unfortunately, if it was a private guard and not a publicly employed police officer, you don't have a cause of action for civil rights violations. You do have a claim for assault under California law against the security company and/or the festival organizers who hired them. I would strongly advise you to pursue that avenue to make sure this does not happen again. You might get all of those who were sprayed together to get one attorney to represent you as group. An attorney would be more likely to do that since your injuries per person are relatively low (say compared to a car accident). Here are some names of a couple of civil rights lawyers in LA who can advise you on what to do: Chris Ford 213-487-8000; Richard Solomon 310-445-9595. You might also try Robert Burns in San Diego 619-223-0441. You may have already found another attorney by now.

Good luck!"

I was sprayed by an officer in uniform, not a security guard. The officer who sprayed me was male, mid-thirties, had a shaved head, was about 6'1", african american, and wearing a black police uniform. Like many of you experienced, he said nothing and immediately aimed for my eyes.

I am compiling a list of witnesses and victims. If you were involved in any way, PLEASE send me your full name and a brief account of your experience. If your friends witnessed the events, please forward this information to them. If you were in the area and never heard the police but saw people leaving who had been sprayed, you are a valuable witness too. I will contact the civil rights lawyers list above and the ACLU and will continue to post developments on this thread.

***I URGE anyone who was a witness or a victim to file an official complaint. You can do so through either of the links listed below:

http://www.indiopd.org/IPD%20forms/ipd-complaint.pdf

ps - I also contacted Coachella and Goldenvoice and have not received a response.

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 06:19 AM
I contacted the author of this article about police (mis)use of pepper spray and mace:

http://www.nlg-npap.org/html/research/LWpepperspray.pdf

She is an attorney in Seattle. Here is her reply:

"Thanks for contacting me, Nichole, and yes I did write that article. I skimmed your horiffic account of what happened and also checked the Coachella blog for additional accounts. It appears that it was the private security guards who used pepper spray on you and others (for what reason, I can't tell). You will need to contact an attorney in southern California or the ACLU in Los Angeles for a referral to one. Unfortunately, if it was a private guard and not a publicly employed police officer, you don't have a cause of action for civil rights violations. You do have a claim for assault under California law against the security company and/or the festival organizers who hired them. I would strongly advise you to pursue that avenue to make sure this does not happen again. You might get all of those who were sprayed together to get one attorney to represent you as group. An attorney would be more likely to do that since your injuries per person are relatively low (say compared to a car accident). Here are some names of a couple of civil rights lawyers in LA who can advise you on what to do: Chris Ford 213-487-8000; Richard Solomon 310-445-9595. You might also try Robert Burns in San Diego 619-223-0441. You may have already found another attorney by now.

Good luck!"

I was sprayed by an officer in uniform, not a security guard. The officer who sprayed me was male, mid-thirties, had a shaved head, was about 6'1", african american, and wearing a black police uniform. Like many of you experienced, he said nothing and immediately aimed for my eyes.

I am compiling a list of witnesses and victims. If you were involved in any way, PLEASE send me your full name and a brief account of your experience. If your friends witnessed the events, please forward this information to them. If you were in the area and never heard the police but saw people leaving who had been sprayed, you are a valuable witness too. I will contact the civil rights lawyers list above and the ACLU and will continue to post developments on this thread.

***I URGE anyone who was a witness or a victim to file an official complaint. You can do so through either of the links listed below:

http://www.indiopd.org/IPD%20forms/ipd-complaint.pdf

ps - I also contacted Coachella and Goldenvoice and have not received a response.

Get that money money! Grab all that you can! It's the American way!

NappyWhiteKid
04-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Nicole

Since we were both in the same boat, I understand your reaction to the situation, and i understand filing a police complaint, but what or who are you plannin on bringing charges against? Before jumping right into a lawsuit that would probably be fruitless and expensive for you, We wait for some sort of official reaction of statement. Suing Golden Voice or the like will only end up being counter productive and probably result in a smaller, more patrolled Coachella where everyone is over zealously covering there ass, I already have to stay herded between stages to enjoy a beer. And one again punishing the Festival wouldn't make it better for anyone.

I will provide my account, and I have filed a complaint, but correct training with non-lethal weapons, accountability, maybe even a change in the way Security handles situations like Sunday night are all more reasonable outcomes.

I've been to Coachella 3 times, and would like to keep the option open to go to a 4th. Without explaining who you plan on suing and for what, lawyering up to fight "the man" might be a regrettable snap judgment just like spraying pepper spray into the crowd.

A rash decision is the reason we were all forced to start these posts in the first place, Let's wait for an official statement or even apology before jumping into a lawsuit.

romadelinebot
04-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I have a number of points:
- SubBass is probably a cop, who we all know wasn't there, and therefore has really nothing credible to say about this situation. Let's ignore his attempts to discredit us, and focus on the more important issue, which is: What we're going to do about being pepper sprayed by people who were in a position of authority, without warning or being given a chance to leave, during a completely non violent drum circle.

-Just to clarify, yes, I was there, yes, I got pepper sprayed by a cop, at relatively close range, with NO WARNING whatsoever. Nothing. Not a peep. If he had told me to leave, in some fashion, either personally or via a bullhorn, I would have done so immediately. I wasn't destroying anything or being violent. I was standing next to a house that was being used as a drum. That's all.

NWK:
-The only way to acquire an apology/statement from either the police department or Goldenvoice, and any kind of promise of different training for security/cops is to create a sign some kind of petition saying that we'd like an official statement/apology/incident report. They're not going to do any of those things without a whole lot of prodding, because neither the police nor Goldenvoice wants to call attention to this incident.....we as people without legal expertise might not be able to effectively prod without the help of some kind of lawyer, even if we decide not to pursue a lawsuit route. It doesn't bode well that Nicole hasn't gotten a response from the PD or Goldenvoice. So PLEASE people, if you were a witness/got maced, file your complaints!

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I have a number of points:
- SubBass is probably a cop, who we all know wasn't there, and therefore has really nothing credible to say about this situation. Let's ignore his attempts to discredit us, and focus on the more important issue, which is: What we're going to do about being pepper sprayed by people who were in a position of authority, without warning or being given a chance to leave, during a completely non violent drum circle.

Yes...I'm probably a cop...right. Says the lurker lawsuit-hungry lawyer-up loser. I'm not a cop, I'm a teacher. I don't need to be a cop to comment on this any more than you need a brain to go and try to fuck up Coachella for everyone with some stupid lawsuit.

Like I said before...people like this screw shit up for EVERYBODY because they don't know how to act. Ask any law-abiding person who used to be able to enjoy a beer or two at San Diego's beaches.

I haven't agreed with every single thing that NappyWhiteKid has had to say, but you better damn well read his last post before you go and fuck everything up. You AND Nicole.

A lawsuit will result in:

a). tighter security & restrictions
b). higher prices to recover lawsuit losses
c). higher prices for security (passed on to us as consumers)

Any one of those things will make me want to beat your everloving ass.

romadelinebot
04-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Maybe I can clarify a little bit....those of us who were THERE are going have a civil discussion without name-calling about the best course of action to take regarding this unwarranted macing incident.
I am not blindly advocating a lawsuit. If I was, it would be against the Indio PD, not Goldenvoice. The cops were the ones doing the spraying.

Right now, I, like NWK and Nicole, would like the police to issue a public statement/apology/promise to create a plan of action to better deal with a situation where they would like people to disperse by using their WORDS, not their cans of pepper spray.

We need to figure out the best way to get them to do this. Creating a petition seems like a good idea....any thoughts, anyone?

canexplain
04-24-2009, 10:08 AM
wow jb you are wired about this:

I wasnt there, cant say

if you were innocent, just chalk it up to a great story you can tell your friend and kids and let it go

I like JB have been there and done that,so when i talk with the dea, fbi, all cops, i always say SIR

if i am going to protest or party a little too much, i go expecting to get jailed, sprayed, but hopefully not shot

and lastly, people who know of the wakarusa cop thing 3? years back, that is a better example of bad bad law enforcement and we tried via the ACLU to do something ..... zip, nada, etc ... good luck but you will be wasting your time ....

i have been busted twice for weed, fbi, dea, homeland, state and feds, and local cops ... both times THEY LET ME GO WITH NO STRINGS ... so there are good cops and bad cops just like people

at burningman they tourch the art before they leave .... maybe coachella should do that just for fun

sorry just rambling here ..... cr****

canexplain
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Maybe I can clarify a little bit....those of us who were THERE are going have a civil discussion without name-calling about the best course of action to take regarding this unwarranted macing incident.
I am not blindly advocating a lawsuit. If I was, it would be against the Indio PD, not Goldenvoice. The cops were the ones doing the spraying.

Right now, I, like NWK and Nicole, would like the police to issue a public statement/apology/promise to create a plan of action to better deal with a situation where they would like people to disperse by using their WORDS, not their cans of pepper spray.

We need to figure out the best way to get them to do this. Creating a petition seems like a good idea....any thoughts, anyone?

i was typing my comments while you posted yours .... do you want the links, newpaper articles, etc about the wakarusa incident?

Delta
04-24-2009, 10:23 AM
The infamous SubBass strikes again! zing! I would like to see how many times big tough teacher daddy can post on a topic that has nothing to do with him! so reply subbass, log your chunky ass onto the nearest computer and babble your incoherent heart out on this coachella.com forum. for a teacher at the age of 31 with a family to take care of, you sure do spend a lot of time on the computer starting pointless arguments. The funny thing is, I know you will reply to this! hahaha. If you are really the man you say you are, then by God, ZIP IT, FREAK!

Insert Subbass reply here
|
|
|
|
\/

romadelinebot
04-24-2009, 10:28 AM
i was typing my comments while you posted yours .... do you want the links, newpaper articles, etc about the wakarusa incident?

Yes, that would probably be helpful.....I understand that these things tend to be pretty useless. I'm not new to activism, an while thankfully I've never been in this situation before I have friends who have been...at times, they've had some success, and at times no success at all....

But to be frank, I feel like I need to at least make an effort to get whatever PD was involved with the pepper spraying to at least apologize and create some kind of a plan of action to prevent this from happening at future Coachellas.

Like I said, if I'd been given warning, I would have left immediately. Why they didn't get on a bullhorn and order people to disperse, or tap me on the shoulder, or anything else besides instantly pepper spraying is beyond me.
They know how excruciatingly painful that stuff is (via their cop training), and you'd think they would have wanted to give everyone a chance to get away....not giving that chance makes it look like they were sadistically trying to hurt people.

NappyWhiteKid
04-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Like I said before...people like this screw shit up for EVERYBODY because they don't know how to act. Ask any law-abiding person who used to be able to enjoy a beer or two at San Diego's beaches.

I haven't agreed with every single thing that NappyWhiteKid has had to say, but you better damn well read his last post before you go and fuck everything up. You AND Nicole.

A lawsuit will result in:

a). tighter security & restrictions
b). higher prices to recover lawsuit losses
c). higher prices for security (passed on to us as consumers)

Trust me SUbBass and I haven't agreed on everything just foolow the thread, BUT I am one of those people who live in the beach area of San Diego and can no longer enjoy a beer on my beloved beaches so I know where he is coming from with that.

I've filed my complaint and I'm all for the petition route. Lets just remember that our reaction to this can make us look like crazy money hungry douches or people who want whats right, and I for one would prefer to be known as the latter.

So start the petition we can probably even set it up online. and if you were sprayed file a report and give your actual name and contact info but lets all be reasonable. Like I said before if the specific cops that night [yes just like people there are good and bad cops, just like mechanics, doctors, anyone] had been this wouldn't even be an issue.

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 10:37 AM
You see, Delta, this DOES concern me. I have been to EVERY Coachella. It is a yearly tradition for me. Therefore, the actions of any newbie morons that will potentially threaten it's existence tend to piss me off.

Why does it bother you so much that I care about it though?

Maybe because I have a point or two?

Get over it. Listen to Ron if you don't want to listen to me. Or will you call his experience into question as well? He's probably one of the most (if not THE most) respected members of this board. But oh no...he wasn't there on your fateful night!

STFU & DIAF

canexplain
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
tnx JB for the good words ....

here is the waka stuff, a link and a paste of who was inside the park ... and like JB said, watch out for what you want ..... because of the trouble, wakarusa has since moved to ARK (this year) ... i wouldnt want coachella to move (well cept here lol) but i know you feel you have to do what you have to do ..... peace .... cr****

1. Douglas County Sheriff's Dept.
2. Kansas State Highway Patrol
3. Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI)
4. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
5. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
6. Homeland Security Officials
7. Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF)
8. Clinton Lake State Park Rangers
http://waka-action.blogspot.com/

Delta
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Insert angry Subbass remark here
|
|
|
V

canexplain
04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Insert angry Subbass remark here
|
|
|
V

delta, if this is an example of "fuck I wasnt doing anything, i am innocent", then i might have to say hummmmmmmmmmmm ..... let it go dude and have a great friday man ....... cr****

Hey JB, this probably belongs under the default thread but hey …. Anyway, let it be known I am a liberal and some (most) would consider me far left … so the question is for you: when I listen to the right wing, they ALWAYS say how our schools, especially the colleges and universities, have nothing but liberal agenda driven teachers and professors. Being in your position, do you think that is true? Just wondering from someone who should be in the know …. Cr****

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Dont wanna threadjack, but there are all kinds of teachers here. One of my favorite teachers at my school where I teach is the polar opposite of me in terms of political orientation, but we both have strong convictions of student achievement, discipline plans, and goal setting...so we tend to get along. I will say that administration tends to be very liberal until you get to the district level, where superintendants are often right-wing anti-union types.

Far as universities go, again there are all types. In fact, while the local right-wing radio heads like to criticize universities as left-wing propaganda, they have also run stories freaking out over right-wing professors getting into trouble for posting up anti-immigrant and anti-Mexico leaftlets. So who knows? I had professors that were of all persuasions when I attended SDSU. Most of them didn't delve into matters of politics in class anyway.

chiapet
04-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Man, so now that I finally bothered to read the thread, I saw this happening (though didn't see people getting maced specifically -- I think they were on the opposite side of the shrine as I was).

All I can say is that I don't think any reasonable person would have thought they were NOT going to get hassled about what they were doing. They knew it was a bad idea. They crowded a ton of people inside the interior of the shrine, and were stomping, jumping up and down, hitting the walls, etc, anything to make noise. From the outside, the whole thing was shaking and it definitely looked like it would be damaged in the process. It might have been find if a couple of people were doing it, but there were a LOT of people for that tiny structure.

As formerly an artist and someone who has friends who built art for festivals, I was really put off. What you were doing was not cool. It was incredibly disrespectful to the person who spent months of their life building something for your VISUAL enjoyment.

I am not glad you got maced, but you're a bunch of asses who might want to reconsider your bright ideas before you rush into them next time.

Sexecutioner
04-24-2009, 12:01 PM
i didnt think the art was being damaged in any way. if i did, i wouldnt have participated. i just thought it was fun to jump up and down and chant coachella as a way to end the weekend. i didnt think anybody was being destructive or violent, and i hope the shrine wasnt damaged.

chiapet
04-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I think it looked a lot differently from the outside than when in the middle of that little crowd inside the shrine. It was shaking and rocking quite a bit and did not look sturdy enough to stand very much of that type of behavior.

NappyWhiteKid
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
As formerly an artist and someone who has friends who built art for festivals, I was really put off. What you were doing was not cool. It was incredibly disrespectful to the person who spent months of their life building something for your VISUAL enjoyment.

Since you just jumped into the thread I hope you had a chance to read the part about the validity of Art and that there are a number of Artists involved in this conversation. if you misses it here is a quick summary.

We all seem to agree on this:

Some art takes years to create, some mere second, and other art has a life of it's own, and the journey that the art travels and artifacts that is collects and loses actually shape the art.
Some artist feel that their work is meant to be experienced, touched, and yes even sometimes used to create and inspire, (as in music, and yeah a drum circle). Think about it every sculpture at Coachella invokes participation. Why, because this Shrine is older, or made of wood, is it less tangible than the Serpent mother?

Since None of us are the artist of La Familia Divina Shrine and therefore can't speak on the artists intentions or reactions.

And we would all love to hear the artists reaction to the situation.

And again No one on this thread condones destroying Art.

Also from the inside we were not omnipotent, I did not see the girl from the video that scales the building. [So I cannot defend everyone's actions that night but jumping up and down inside and keeping beat on the wall, chanting, was not defacing or destroying the "Shrine" from where I stood, 20+ years creates a sturdy structure. If people outside were indeed acting like asses, ripping pieces off and purposely destroying the piece, then those individuals should have been dealt with in a reasonable structured fashion, this isn't the securities first day on the job.]

If you would like to find the artist and get a statement, or start another thread on the value of interactivity in art at the festival, and if all pieces including the "Shrine" were meant to be interactive at Coachella 09, that is a valid discussion. But it has been beaten to such a moot point on this message board, that your "Coachella Sunday Night bottle of glue" should be in the mail anytime.

The point of this Message thread is to:

1. see how many people this effected and

2. find a reasonable solution that will end in some accountability, and prevent this from happening at future fests without ruining/ or marring future Coachella experiences.

If you can help us succeed in anyway to meet those goals, please do.

NicoleL
04-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Thank you to those who have provided their contact information! I will check with you before I put you down as a witness on any paper work to make sure it is ok with you and I will keep you updated.

I completely agree that the rest of coachella was amazing! I love going every year and have always been impressed with the security guards. This is an isolated incident involving the Indio police, not the coachella security guards. My civil rights were only violated by the one specific police officer who maced me without issuing me a warning. I was not one of the people inside the structure and many of those who were maced were simply making their way toward the exit and walked by to see what all the noise was. Those of you who were actually present are aware that there was no violence or security prior to the macing, but those who were not present seem to unaware of dynamics of the situation. There was no activity that justified the police using their weapons without first issuing a warning. I am not seeking monetary compensation. I am seeking:

1) an official apology from the Indio Police Department
2) suspension of the officer(s) who maced individuals without prior warning
3) proper training including a written protocol for Indio police officers on the use of mace
4) written protocol on humane crowd dispersal for the Indio Police Department
5) absorption of all legal fees by the Indio Police Department

I did contact Goldenvoice and Coachella in regards to whether or not they will be issuing a statement and neither have responded. The Indio Police Department had not issued a press release yet either.

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Thank you to those who have provided their contact information! I will check with you before I put you down as a witness on any paper work to make sure it is ok with you and I will keep you updated.

I completely agree that the rest of coachella was amazing! I love going every year and have always been impressed with the security guards. This is an isolated incident involving the Indio police, not the coachella security guards. My civil rights were only violated by the one specific police officer who maced me without issuing me a warning. I was not one of the people inside the structure and many of those who were maced were simply making their way toward the exit and walked by to see what all the noise was. Those of you who were actually present are aware that there was no violence or security prior to the macing, but those who were not present seem to unaware of dynamics of the situation. There was no activity that justified the police using their weapons without first issuing a warning. I am not seeking monetary compensation. I am seeking:

1) an official apology from the Indio Police Department
2) suspension of the officer(s) who maced individuals without prior warning
3) proper training including a written protocol for Indio police officers on the use of mace
4) written protocol on humane crowd dispersal for the Indio Police Department
5) absorption of all legal fees by the Indio Police Department

I did contact Goldenvoice and Coachella in regards to whether or not they will be issuing a statement and neither have responded. The Indio Police Department had not issued a press release yet either.

...and so it begins.

This won't happen w/o a lawsuit...AND THEREFORE...this will definitely have an effect of Coachella and the way police interact with GV, the Polo Grounds, and the crowd. I hope you enjoy fucking things up for other people.

scoop49er
04-24-2009, 02:33 PM
bottom line: most of you probalby deserved it! fucking go home already! :)

chiapet
04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Nappy, I almost responded to Ron's comparison to Burning Man, but was busy at work and forgot. What I had to say is this: I think there are events where an artist expects, and even encourages, destruction of their work. Burning Man is a great example of that, where the intention is to burn at the end of the week, and certainly artists take that into consideration when deciding how much of their money, time and selves go into the work. There are other situations where artists understand there is a high risk of vandalism to their work.

But at an event like Coachella, I would not expect purposeful damage. Accidental damage or destruction is one thing... would you expect the Coachella crowd to purposefully deface an art piece? The risk is always there of course, I just am not sure the artist would expect this when exhibiting at this particular event.

What I saw going on looked more like potential vandalism in progress than anything else.

canexplain
04-24-2009, 02:47 PM
fine chia just forget about me just like that :) cr****

scoop49er
04-24-2009, 02:49 PM
here is another bottom line for some of you as i have worked security before and i did for around..

when the show is over, its over!! u r directed to leave the area as u r now trespassing. what those fucking idiots were doing is called destruction of property and you are subject to any restraint seemed fit without warning. a warning is a courtesy anyone can give if they want. but they can use force if it warrants it. i feel bad for anyone that got sprayed that didnt deserve it, but most of them in there did! so guilty by association is how i see it...

thats just reality but more than likely some shithead will file a lawsuit and now starting next year they will block off the sculptures and designs and fuck up that part of coachella. and also i can guarantee you they will shorten coachella to a strict 12am curfew and cut the lights and everything... so to all of you that felt like acting a fool. thanks for fucking it up for everyone else! assholes!!!

Changoloco
04-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Man, so now that I finally bothered to read the thread, I saw this happening (though didn't see people getting maced specifically -- I think they were on the opposite side of the shrine as I was).

All I can say is that I don't think any reasonable person would have thought they were NOT going to get hassled about what they were doing. They knew it was a bad idea. They crowded a ton of people inside the interior of the shrine, and were stomping, jumping up and down, hitting the walls, etc, anything to make noise. From the outside, the whole thing was shaking and it definitely looked like it would be damaged in the process. It might have been find if a couple of people were doing it, but there were a LOT of people for that tiny structure.

I am not glad you got maced, but you're a bunch of asses who might want to reconsider your bright ideas before you rush into them next time.

Just so you know, the persons that built that piece of art were artists Shrine and TukTuk. These guys built a temple, Basura Sagrada(Sacred Trash) that was over 50 times larger than the one seen at Coachella. What did they do with that temple? Burned it in front of 30000 people. I can't speak for them, as you shouldn't, but i don't think that they mind if their pieces are destroyed, do you?

canexplain
04-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Yep Subbass, Slippery slope they are on …. I would have been all over this years ago but I have finally decided that if I leave “them” alone they tend to leave me alone …. I must say to the people that want to go forward on this: couldn’t you just leave GV out of it and deal directly with the Indio police, ACLU, and the city? Just wondering out loud ….and if not, just pack right for coachella ……. Cr****

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/gasmask.jpg

chiapet
04-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Just so you know, the persons that built that piece of art were artists Shrine and TukTuk. These guys built a temple, Basura Sagrada(Sacred Trash) that was over 50 times larger than the one seen at Coachella. What did they do with that temple? Burned it in front of 30000 people. I can't speak for them, as you shouldn't, but i don't think that they mind if their pieces are destroyed, do you?

Basura sagrada was from burning man, and that is an entirely different situation where art is designed to be burned. It's almost like you're trying to say that because they designed a piece of art for burningman to be intentionally destroyed as part of the nature of the event, they are welcoming people to damage or destroy their other art installations outside of burning man? Please don't be stupid. I wasn't trying to speak for this artist. I said (generally) I don't think the artists who exhibit at Coachella expect purposeful damage (ie, vandalism). You seem to be trying to speak for them when you compare burning man art burns to other situations.

canexplain
04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
since i brought up Burning man, i did read an article about last year and i guess the day before or somewhat earlier, they set the big display on fire and it is suppose to go the last night .... the artist were pissed .... so even if it was meant to be destroyed, there is a time and place for destruction .... cr****

NicoleL
04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Update:
A witness who saw me as I was being maced identified the officer who maced me as having a Banning Police Department embroidered badge on the arm of his uniform. If you were maced by an officer but were unable to see which department they belonged to, you should file a complaint with both the Indio Police Department and the Banning Police Department. Here is the contact information for the Banning Police Department.

321 W. Ramsey, Banning, CA 92220
banningpolice@ci.banning.ca.us
951-922-3170

In this video you can see the officers arm badges (3:05 to 3:10). Some are Indio Police and some are Banning Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjaSgD8xl0

Here are what each of the badges look like:

http://www.indiopd.org/images/ipd-patch-cc.jpg

http://www.banningpolice.org/images/patch.JPG

Banning Police Department Policy and Procedures:
http://www.banningpolice.org/policy.pdf

The section on oleoresin capsicum spray is on pages 50 - 53 and states:

"308.4 CHEMICAL AGENTS SPRAY GUIDELINES
Only authorized personnel may possess and maintain department issued oleoresin capsicum spray. Chemical agents are weapons used to minimize the potential for injury to
officers, offenders, or other persons. They should be used only in situations where such
force reasonably appears justified and necessary."

"308.4.4 TREATMENT FOR OC SPRAY EXPOSURE
Persons who have been affected by the use of chemical agents should be promptly
provided with the proper solution to cleanse the affected areas. Those persons who
complain of further severe effects shall be afforded a medical examination by competent
medical personnel.
308.4.5 REPORT OF USE
All uses of chemical agents shall be documented in the related arrest/crime report."

Section on filing a complaint is on pages 431-437 and states:

"1020.2.3 ACCEPTANCE OF COMPLAINTS
A complaint may be filed in person, in writing, or by telephoning the Department."

canexplain
04-24-2009, 05:44 PM
"They should be used only in situations where such
force reasonably appears justified and necessary."

that is pretty black and white :( good luck

but I must say, my kids where so unpolitical after me being joe demo, but to each their own .. i love it, no matter what the side, to see people get involved (well cept people who like palin :) cr****

algunz
04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/gasmask.jpg

How stoned are you in this picture? :thu

chiapet
04-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Ron, I believe it. My dad used to get really upset with us for being uninterested in politics/issues. He was a pol sci/history major from the UC system, Berkeley hippie, draft dodger type, and I'm not sure he'd like the politically disaffected self-interested yuppie type person I've become, but it's my life... :)

I will never forget him literally dragging me to vote when I was 17 - in our area you could vote in local special elections if you would be 18 by general elections. I kept asking why I "have to" vote, boy was he frustrated with me.

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
lol...Ron...I love the reminders from time to time how much you rock...the gas mask pic is one such reminder. lol

My dad is right-wing socially (total opposite of me), but yet consistently asks me how to vote on state propositions because he knows so many will effect me as a teacher. Pretty cool in that little way if you ask me. His dad was a Reagan Republican, to the point where he kept an autographed photo of Reagan on his dining room wall. A virulent racist too. He must be spinning in his grave knowing I married a Black woman and have a mixed-race daughter. lol

BillyCrystal
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
why don't you file a lawsuit? if this is true, it's obvious battery.

SubBass49
04-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Why would you encourage that? Lawsuits tend to fuck up good things in life.

psycobetabuckdown
05-01-2009, 12:33 AM
You must be the type of teacher that touches students.

SubBass49
05-01-2009, 05:40 AM
You must be the type of teacher that touches students.

You must be the type of loser that touches swine where the sun don't shine.

psycobetabuckdown
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Ooh, good one, swine even rhymes with shine! Extra points for you. No lawsuits for touching pig dick though, right?

BillyCrystal
05-01-2009, 05:46 PM
i don't encourage a lawsuit. but if this is true (which i don't necessarily believe it is), then this is exactly the kind of action that lawsuits are for.

as for lawsuits "fucking up the good things in life," if being pepper sprayed "for no reason" (again, i don't believe this is what happened) is one of the "good things in life," then they should be fucked up.

my point is this: if it's true, do something about it.

SubBass49
05-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Ooh, good one, swine even rhymes with shine! Extra points for you. No lawsuits for touching pig dick though, right?

The only way I touch my students is through the education I provide them.

But let's explore your admission of touching pig dick...

How long have you been into touching pig dick? Did you happen to touch a lot of pig dick on an industrial pig farm near Veracruz, Mexico within the past 2 years? After touching pig dick, did you wash your hands with soap & hot water for at least 20 seconds? I think you may be able to provide some answers as to the mutation of the swine flu. Perhaps you were the cross-over host.