PDA

View Full Version : The Rumors of Police Macing the Crowd at the End of Sunday Night...

NicoleL
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
...are TRUE! I was maced directly in the eyes at close range by a police officer at the time that this footage was taken:

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31192

I was standing close to the building on the opposite side from where the video was taken, so unfortunately there is no footage of the officer who sprayed me, but I can hear my scream toward the end of the video. I was just standing there when I felt a hand on my shoulder, turned around and saw the officer, and got an eye full of mace. I was not doing anything that would justify being maced and would have been happy to leave if the police or event staff had asked us to. I spent the next 2 hours unable to open my eyes and in EXTREME pain. The spray made direct contact with my eyes and also got in my mouth and I breathed it in. It is still on my skin and hair and when I try to wash it off it spreads and burns. The video shows that there was no warning from police and no indication from event staff that they wanted us to leave. Ironically, they immobilized me and anyone else who was maced so that we could not leave independently. A friend helped find a security guard who told us that there was no more first aid on site, but I find it hard to believe that they had no first aid for all of the people who were still camping there. This was inappropriately aggressive and completely unnecessary. I am filing an official complaint with the Indio police department and encourage anyone else who was a victim or a witness to do the same. If anyone has further video, accounts of the police activity, or badge numbers/names of the officers please post them! Also, if anyone knows how I can get the mace off of my hair, skin and clothes without spreading it around, please post your suggestions! I tried shampoo and milk and they both made it worse. This was an unfortunate end to an otherwise peaceful and successful festival.
Thank you!

Indio Police Department:
http://www.indiopd.org/contact.htm
Administrative Officer / Public Relations: Benjamin Guitron bguitron@indiopd.org
Chief's Office: (760) 391-4030
http://www.policeabuse.com/index.php?option=com_performs&formid=64

obzen
04-20-2009, 04:37 PM
wow:rolleyes

Jakewc151
04-20-2009, 05:27 PM
sucks

oceansc420
04-20-2009, 07:43 PM
This is the kind of shit that really dampens the Coachella festival. The people who put this festival on, and the actual music performers do an amazing job and provide fans with an awesome festival.

Then you have the hillbilly cops who get no real action and don't actually have anything to do in that shit town of Indio that decide they want to be badasses for the weekend roughing up concert goers. I wish those fuckers would spend some time in SF I'd love to see how badass they are up here. Good law enforcement should understand that the best way of maintaining order is by treating people with respect. This kind of shit just undermines them, it's ridiculous they don't understand it.

On the same note, shame on GV for hiring the piece-of-shit security that they did this year. I'm sorry, but if I'm spending $500+ on a fucking festival, I deserve to be treated with a little bit of respect and dignity. Instead, the camp grounds were flooded with ghetto ass motherfuckers fresh out of burger king trying to squeeze out every last drop of "authority" they possibly could before being sent back to the shit hole they came from. I've never seen so many people treated so rudely and unfairly over absolutely nothing. Hopefully next year I won't have to deal with some ghetto ass chola from the hood who decides she can grab my fucking dick to search for drugs.

But other than that, it was an awesome weekend with some amazing music.

Grant
04-20-2009, 08:07 PM
That's bullshit, dude, press charges.

obzen
04-20-2009, 11:06 PM
This is the kind of shit that really dampens the Coachella festival. The people who put this festival on, and the actual music performers do an amazing job and provide fans with an awesome festival.

Then you have the hillbilly cops who get no real action and don't actually have anything to do in that shit town of Indio that decide they want to be badasses for the weekend roughing up concert goers. I wish those fuckers would spend some time in SF I'd love to see how badass they are up here. Good law enforcement should understand that the best way of maintaining order is by treating people with respect. This kind of shit just undermines them, it's ridiculous they don't understand it.

On the same note, shame on GV for hiring the piece-of-shit security that they did this year. I'm sorry, but if I'm spending $500+ on a fucking festival, I deserve to be treated with a little bit of respect and dignity. Instead, the camp grounds were flooded with ghetto ass motherfuckers fresh out of burger king trying to squeeze out every last drop of "authority" they possibly could before being sent back to the shit hole they came from. I've never seen so many people treated so rudely and unfairly over absolutely nothing. Hopefully next year I won't have to deal with some ghetto ass chola from the hood who decides she can grab my fucking dick to search for drugs.

here,here!!

TheWatcher
04-21-2009, 05:33 AM
I wish those fuckers would spend some time in SF I'd love to see how badass they are up here.

:rotfl

carokube
04-21-2009, 06:01 AM
if i had known about the security at the door this year i would have brought some thing illegal just cause i could have.

Dogvolta
04-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Holy shit man, that is horrible. Very sorry to hear that. Do whatever you can and throw a fit, I am actually kind of enraged at reading your story.

captncrzy
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
I hope you sue

SFChrissy
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
I wonder if this is the commotion that my ex heard on the news???

captncrzy
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
So was it a cop or was it a security guard?

In any case, if I were you, I would have already called an attorney. It appears from the video I saw that there were some dumbass douchebags climbing on the art and crowdsurfing in that little house, but it also sounds like some innocent people who were just passing by got sprayed.

heyeric
04-21-2009, 11:14 AM
My weekend was problem free.

NicoleL
04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfm8gyYZFn8

I am urging anyone who was maced WITHOUT PREVIOUS WARNING by the police at the end of Sunday night OR WITNESSED THE EVENTS to file an official complaint, contact the Indio Police Department, and seek legal council. I received no warning, verbal or otherwise, before I was maced. National Institute of Justice recommends standard operating procedures that approve using pepper spray on "actively combative individuals who have resisted or ignored verbal commands," [NIJ TAP Report at p. 5.] The crowd was not combative nor resistant nor given adequate verbal commands. In the video footage you can hear an officer say "we're gonna mace somebody...you'll all get maced". This is barely audible in the video and was clearly not going to be audible to the entire crowd, especially those on the opposite side of the structure. The officer who maced me and those around me did not say anything before or while he maced the crowd, made no physical contact with the crowd, and made no attempts to get the crowds attention before he began using his weapon. The police did not attempt to use safe methods first such as sirens, megaphones, flashlights, or even raising their voices. Blinding a crowd of people is not safe and is not a practical way of mobilizing them toward an exit. Many of the people who were maced were simply making their way to the exit and stopped to see what was going on. I hope that no one sustained serious injuries and that the La Familia Divina-Shrine was not damaged.

Use these links to let the police and the promoters know that you do not condone violence at Coachella!!!

Indio Police Department:
Administrative Officer / Public Relations: Benjamin Guitron bguitron@indiopd.org

To file a complaint:
http://www.policeabuse.com/index.php...orms&formid=64

Goldenvoice:
http://www.goldenvoice.com/contact/

cansei de ser sexme
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I hope you sue

you are all about suing lately. have you become a lawyer for these things?

captncrzy
04-22-2009, 06:06 PM
you are all about suing lately. have you become a lawyer for these things?

Judge Judy is my idol.

EVillSD
04-22-2009, 06:48 PM
In 10 years of the festival, it is crazy how the only violence is police violence.

jjbaldwi
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM

BEST POST EVER.... Congrats

beavington
04-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Yeah the camping security fucking sucked for the most part. Especially one motherfucker who was searching for drugs only to slide them in his pocket. Which I didnt have any on me at that time so too bad for him.

As someone mentioned earlier how nice it is the problems are never really from the festival goers only the hired help.

jonnypark
04-23-2009, 01:31 AM
does mace = face melt?

The Keymaster
04-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I've spoken to people who know about the law and my advice is to contact the District Attorney. Contacting the Indio Police Dept. may not do much, as they will probably just cover their own asses.

I was standing ten feet from all of that (just watching and filming, not participating) and I agree: no one did a single thing to justify that kind of police behavior.

The Keymaster
04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Good law enforcement should understand that the best way of maintaining order is by treating people with respect.

That's it exactly. If you're a police officer and you want people to leave, then you walk into the crowd, open your mouth and say that. You don't just walk in and start pushing people around and randomly spraying mace in people's faces. They walked in with billy clubs out. They were looking for trouble.

I'm sorry, but if I'm spending $500+ on a fucking festival, I deserve to be treated with a little bit of respect and dignity.

Same here. I wasn't even participating in any of this and I walked out coughing. I still don't feel 100%, even four days later.

NicoleL
04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I contacted the author of this article about police (mis)use of pepper spray and mace:

http://www.nlg-npap.org/html/research/LWpepperspray.pdf

She is an attorney in Seattle. Here is her reply:

"Thanks for contacting me, Nichole, and yes I did write that article. I skimmed your horiffic account of what happened and also checked the Coachella blog for additional accounts. It appears that it was the private security guards who used pepper spray on you and others (for what reason, I can't tell). You will need to contact an attorney in southern California or the ACLU in Los Angeles for a referral to one. Unfortunately, if it was a private guard and not a publicly employed police officer, you don't have a cause of action for civil rights violations. You do have a claim for assault under California law against the security company and/or the festival organizers who hired them. I would strongly advise you to pursue that avenue to make sure this does not happen again. You might get all of those who were sprayed together to get one attorney to represent you as group. An attorney would be more likely to do that since your injuries per person are relatively low (say compared to a car accident). Here are some names of a couple of civil rights lawyers in LA who can advise you on what to do: Chris Ford 213-487-8000; Richard Solomon 310-445-9595. You might also try Robert Burns in San Diego 619-223-0441. You may have already found another attorney by now.

Good luck!"

I was sprayed by an officer in uniform, not a security guard. The officer who sprayed me was male, mid-thirties, had a shaved head, was about 6'1", african american, and wearing a black police uniform. Like many of you experienced, he said nothing and immediately aimed for my eyes.

I am compiling a list of witnesses and victims. If you were involved in any way, PLEASE send me your full name and a brief account of your experience. If your friends witnessed the events, please forward this information to them. If you were in the area and never heard the police but saw people leaving who had been sprayed, you are a valuable witness too. I will contact the civil rights lawyers list above and the ACLU and will continue to post developments on this thread.

***I URGE anyone who was a witness or a victim to file an official complaint. You can do so through either of the links listed below:

http://www.indiopd.org/IPD%20forms/ipd-complaint.pdf

ps - I also contacted Coachella and Goldenvoice and have not received a response.

NicoleL
04-23-2009, 09:22 PM
I've spoken to people who know about the law and my advice is to contact the District Attorney.

Thank you for the advice! I reviewed the Riverside County District Attorney's website:

http://www.rivcoda.org

This is what the site says in it's 'common questions' section:

"Q: I want to file a complaint about a police officer (or sheriff). Can the district attorney help me?
A: No. You'll need to report the matter to the officer's employing agency. That agency is required by law to receive a complaint, investigate the matter, and respond back to the complaining party."

WorldDestroyed
04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Me too, I was maced in the face by the police and raped in the ear my Maca.

...are TRUE! I was maced directly in the eyes at close range by a police officer at the time that this footage was taken:

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31192

I was standing close to the building on the opposite side from where the video was taken, so unfortunately there is no footage of the officer who sprayed me, but I can hear my scream toward the end of the video. I was just standing there when I felt a hand on my shoulder, turned around and saw the officer, and got an eye full of mace. I was not doing anything that would justify being maced and would have been happy to leave if the police or event staff had asked us to. I spent the next 2 hours unable to open my eyes and in EXTREME pain. The spray made direct contact with my eyes and also got in my mouth and I breathed it in. It is still on my skin and hair and when I try to wash it off it spreads and burns. The video shows that there was no warning from police and no indication from event staff that they wanted us to leave. Ironically, they immobilized me and anyone else who was maced so that we could not leave independently. A friend helped find a security guard who told us that there was no more first aid on site, but I find it hard to believe that they had no first aid for all of the people who were still camping there. This was inappropriately aggressive and completely unnecessary. I am filing an official complaint with the Indio police department and encourage anyone else who was a victim or a witness to do the same. If anyone has further video, accounts of the police activity, or badge numbers/names of the officers please post them! Also, if anyone knows how I can get the mace off of my hair, skin and clothes without spreading it around, please post your suggestions! I tried shampoo and milk and they both made it worse. This was an unfortunate end to an otherwise peaceful and successful festival.
Thank you!

Indio Police Department:

NicoleL
04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Update:
A witness who saw me as I was being maced identified the officer who maced me as having a Banning Police Department embroidered badge on the arm of his uniform. If you were maced by an officer but were unable to see which department they belonged to, you should file a complaint with both the Indio Police Department and the Banning Police Department. Here is the contact information for the Banning Police Department.

321 W. Ramsey, Banning, CA 92220
banningpolice@ci.banning.ca.us
951-922-3170

In this video you can see the officers arm badges (3:05 to 3:10). Some are Indio Police and some are Banning Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjaSgD8xl0

Here are what each of the badges look like:

http://www.indiopd.org/images/ipd-patch-cc.jpg

http://www.banningpolice.org/images/patch.JPG

Banning Police Department Policy and Procedures:
http://www.banningpolice.org/policy.pdf

The section on oleoresin capsicum spray is on pages 50 - 53 and states:

"308.4 CHEMICAL AGENTS SPRAY GUIDELINES
Only authorized personnel may possess and maintain department issued oleoresin capsicum spray. Chemical agents are weapons used to minimize the potential for injury to
officers, offenders, or other persons. They should be used only in situations where such
force reasonably appears justified and necessary."

"308.4.4 TREATMENT FOR OC SPRAY EXPOSURE
Persons who have been affected by the use of chemical agents should be promptly
provided with the proper solution to cleanse the affected areas. Those persons who
complain of further severe effects shall be afforded a medical examination by competent
medical personnel.
308.4.5 REPORT OF USE
All uses of chemical agents shall be documented in the related arrest/crime report."

Section on filing a complaint is on pages 431-437 and states:

"1020.2.3 ACCEPTANCE OF COMPLAINTS
A complaint may be filed in person, in writing, or by telephoning the Department."

marooko
04-24-2009, 03:46 PM
it was time to go. no indication? they turned shit off. there were no lights to turn on. WTF?!

oh wait. fuck cops. yeah!!!

JustSteve
04-24-2009, 03:55 PM
yay, sue so there will be no more coachella! great!

Nightmare000r
04-24-2009, 07:49 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/23/naked-wizard-tazered-at-c_n_190502.html

prettydirtything
04-25-2009, 12:56 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/23/naked-wizard-tazered-at-c_n_190502.html

ahahahhaha...

$300 for the tickets....

Standing around drinking $4 lemonades and videotaping a guy getting tazered so you can post it to facebook is priceless....

Yelling "The whole world is watching" like you are fucking standing at Tiananmen Square or something is absurd. All the little neon sunglasses wearing twats wouldn't stand in front of a tank; they would take pictures of themselves in front of the scene and then tell everybody how offended they were while sipping Fuji Water and watching Yo Gabba Gabba three days later.....

"He's not bothering anyone"... Right. Who could possibly be disrupted by a drug addled streaker running through close spaces with your kids around.

Boourns
04-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Where did his penis go?

When did this happen, anyway?

MikeyMatador
04-25-2009, 03:37 PM
fuck cops

ELPOLLOLOCO
04-25-2009, 05:20 PM
not sure whats worse, being maced or tasered? I guess getting electrocuted is over quicker...

Boourns
04-26-2009, 01:18 AM
People have died from tazering, though. Has anyone ever died from mace?

oftheheartofthesoul
04-26-2009, 06:51 AM
No, but they post lengthy bitch sessions on Coachella message boards. The festival was over. Way past over. Go home and be a moron on somebody else's time.

Monklish
04-26-2009, 07:11 AM
it had never occurred to me that tasing can probably kill the occasional person, so I looked it up--roughly 100 deaths attributed to tasing between the US and Canada since 2001. I wish they had a breakdown of how many were tasings by police.

To my knowledge mace is not conceivably deadly unless you were, like, locked in a confined area filled with the stuff. But mace also doesn't exist anymore, it's been illegal since sometime in the 90s. Cops either use pepper spray or bear spray.

Incidentally, if you're ever looking to purchase pepper spray for self defense be sure you get Fox brand. Generic pepper spray is still pretty painful but if someone is really determined to get their hands on you most sprays aren't remotely strong enough to produce what would be considered stopping power. I've seen some of my crazier acquaintances take a spraying to the face from a cop and then proceed to knock said cop unconscious.

Fox brand pepper sprays are fucking nuts. Most pepper sprays are between 1/2 million and 2 million shu. Fox pepper spray is refined to 5.3 million shu (scoville heat units--some kind of measurement of heat in terms of how much chemical simulated burning is produced), that's like the difference in heat between paper burning and a blue-hot blowtorch (about 451 degrees F vs 2000 degrees F.) A lot of police and military folks have been known to shell out their own money for Fox sprays because the regular shit they're issued isn't nearly as potent.

JustSteve
04-26-2009, 07:15 AM
so 5 times as "hot" as the worlds hottest pepper, ouch!

"Weighing in at 1,001,304 Scoville heat units, the Bhut Jolokia chili from India has been named the world's hottest pepper by the Guinness Book of World Records. Just to put that into perspective, the jalapeno sits at a meager 10,000 SHU."

Monklish
04-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Yeah. I've been hit with regular pepper sprays before--as a result of having to spray two guys who were on top of me doing a pathetic job of trying to punch me and having no choice but to spray them in the face even though my face was only a few inches away from the target and gravity was not working in my favor--and it ain't pleasant, but it also ain't THAT bad. Granted I sat in a bathrub on my knees dunking my face in the water for two or three solid hours, but I wasn't incapacitated.

At least 5 times that shit though... goddamn.

fatbastard
04-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Let this be a lesson to those of you who are considering pre-law.

There are actual lawyers who perform duties that protect and enforce the law but they are few and in between. It is not a profession that should be glamorized like in the movies or on television. Job one will consist of you letting go of any morals you were ever taught. Doing so provides you with the ideal mindset required to seek these types of opportunities. You will also have to blackmail or kill someone in order to make partner.

You will have to do the strangest things that really has nothing to do with law in order to earn a paycheck such as working an 800# with the pretense of helping needy individuals obtain stimulus money or home refinancing, when all along they are able to do it themselves without your help.

Monklish
04-26-2009, 07:57 AM
... wait a minute--since when did anyone ever go into pre-law expecting to help people or have morals?

TheWatcher
04-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Is pepper spray deadly? I know that there are valid arguments that it's better than the alternative, and the studies done by law enforcement conclude that it's safe. But, after doing some searching, I found that there are some questions about it's safety, especially on people who have preexisting heart conditions and/or are intoxicated from cocaine or amphetamines.

Interesting reading.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/1999-02-17/news/death-by-pepper-spray&page=190
http://mediafilter.org/caq/caq56pepper.html
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6416/smith-ok.html
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/examiner/article.cgi?year=1996&month=04&day=08&article=NEWS7595.dtl
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/27/nyregion/use-of-pepper-spray-ruled-a-factor-in-man-s-death.html

Monklish
04-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, plus I'm sure there's some people that have to be severely allergic to the ingredients. Man, that'd be a bummer. Poor cops, just trying to unjustly pepper spray people at a music festival, only to have one of them keel over dead. Wouldn't that just ruin their week.

TheWatcher
04-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah, it does seem likely that somebody would be allergic to the stuff. Also, there are chemicals other than the capsicum in the spray.

R41N570RM
04-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, plus I'm sure there's some people that have to be severely allergic to the ingredients. Man, that'd be a bummer.

friend of mine was wrongfully pepper sprayed by a cop, and turned out to be allergic to it. she had to be brought to the hospital before being taken to the police department. she sued the guy and ended up getting $60,000. (She was also under 18)

I could post the full story if someone really wanted but I'm just saying some people ARE allergic to the stuff.

ELPOLLOLOCO
04-26-2009, 12:15 PM
I was more bothered by the dude gatting tasered...if the cops would have done a good job, the 3 of them could have put that dude in hangcuffs in 30 seconds...no need to electrocute him...but instead the fat fuckers wrestle with him for about 5 minutes...and that one asshole keeps shoving the that taser in the back of the dude's neck and his throat...not right...

JustSteve
04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
and against policy. those cops could be in for some trouble according to my lawyer friend.

lurker_with_a_bush
04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
That's bullshit, dude, press charges.

itt: children

lurker_with_a_bush
04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
People have died from tazering, though. Has anyone ever died from mace?

yes.

http://www.sashley.com/articles/managingaerosolissues.htm

people allergic and those with asthma have a really hard time bouncing back from it.

lurker_with_a_bush
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
So was it a cop or was it a security guard?

In any case, if I were you, I would have already called an attorney. It appears from the video I saw that there were some dumbass douchebags climbing on the art and crowdsurfing in that little house, but it also sounds like some innocent people who were just passing by got sprayed.

Exactly, will never, ever hold up in court.