PDA

View Full Version : The End-of-Fest Mini-Riot (sorta)

HandBanana
04-20-2009, 02:21 PM
I started this thread cuz I have a pretty great 10 minute video I shot of it all thats upping to Youtube even as we speak.

Anyone else get any great footage or pics last night of this?

anonimouse
04-20-2009, 02:51 PM
you have to tell the story now for all 40,000 of us who missed it

Creeper
04-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Wat riot!

HandBanana
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
So after they finally cut off The Cure, were all heading to the exits.

But the problem is that no one wants to go home yet.

So this happens....

Pfm8gyYZFn8

I got the cops breaking it up too, but not the part where they (allegedly) broke out the pepper spray.

Creeper
04-20-2009, 03:13 PM
^Weakedt F'ing riot ever!....but I think Coachella goers are way to peaceful for this kind of acted.

TheWatcher
04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Not really a riot.

HandBanana
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Are any of you guys reading the headline before complaining that there werent like overturned cars on fire and shit?

NicoleL
04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I was maced directly in the eyes at close range by a police officer at the time that this footage was taken. I was standing close to the building on the opposite side from where the video was taken, so unfortunately there is no footage of the officer who sprayed me, but I can hear my scream toward the end of the video. I was just standing there when I felt a hand on my shoulder, turned around and saw the officer, and got an eye full of mace. I was not doing anything that would justify being maced and would have been happy to leave if the police or event staff had asked us to. I spent the next 2 hours unable to open my eyes and in EXTREME pain. The spray made direct contact with my eyes and also got in my mouth and I breathed it in. It is still on my skin and hair and when I try to wash it off it spreads and burns. The video shows that there was no warning from police and no indication from event staff that they wanted us to leave. Ironically, they immobilized me and anyone else who was maced so that we could not leave independently. This was inappropriately aggressive and completely unnecessary. I am filing an official complaint with the Indio police department and encourage anyone else who was a victim or a witness to do the same. If anyone has further video, accounts of the police activity, or badge numbers/names of the officers please post them! Also, if anyone knows how I can get the mace off of my hair, skin and clothes without spreading it around, please post your suggestions! I tried shampoo and milk and they both made it worse. This was an unfortunate end to an otherwise peaceful and successful festival.
Thank you!

Indio Police Department:
http://www.indiopd.org/contact.htm
Administrative Officer / Public Relations: Benjamin Guitron bguitron@indiopd.org
Chief's Office: (760) 391-4030
http://www.policeabuse.com/index.php?option=com_performs&formid=64

HandBanana
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Oh man Nicoloe, Im sorry to hear that.
I heard rumors of mace but didnt see anything.
I CAN say that they roughed us out of the area with no warning, but thats when the video gets shakey and I didnt get it unfortunately as I was RIGHT in their path at the time.

Sexecutioner
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
MY FRIEND GOT MACED TOO!

Everybody was having a great time in that temple, chanting "coachella!", jumping up and down, just celebrating the weekend and not wanting to go home, and all of a sudden I was yanked out by a guard. Ok, fine, no biggy, time to go home. Then I walk around to find my friend and he grabs my water and throws it in his face, and his eyes are all blood red, and face looked all red too. Some other guy tells me he got pepper sprayed by a cop. This was completely unnecessary, as nobody was being violent. It totally ruined the end of the weekend for our group, since the last thing that happened at coachella was us trying to take care of our fucked up friend who got sprayed by some power trippin pig. I seriously hope somebody got his fuckin name or badge number.

oh, and i have some pics and video of the party before it got broken up that ill post in a bit.

wakeupyounger
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I am not impressed. You were trying to prove you were pro-Coachella? Good reason to bang and climb on people's fucking art.

digitaldragon03
04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I dunno, that thing had some good acoustics. I think it was meant to be banged on.

Jakewc151
04-20-2009, 05:50 PM
I am not impressed. You were trying to prove you were pro-Coachella? Good reason to bang and climb on people's fucking art.

Agreed. Seriously guys, no one wants Coachella to end, but that gives you no excuse to terrorize some ones art like that. Honestly, if I was the owner of that piece of art and saw all of you jumping up and down and banging on it I probably would have had anyone do anything to get you off it! Common sense people!!

Sexecutioner
04-20-2009, 05:54 PM
WTF are you people talking about? the house was pretty sturdy and was not being damaged. it was just some people having some fun. get off your high horses.

DRcube
04-20-2009, 06:02 PM
they did that on saturday night too, and i remember thinking they were just fucking up that dudes art piece

SubBass49
04-20-2009, 06:12 PM

This.

Everyone with an ounce of sense knows that Coachella ends at a certain time, and then you leave. I've seen drunken people puking as I left before, but never a total asshat factory like this video.

If you're one of "those" people, then go fuck yourself. Seriously. People like you are what get festivals cancelled...and you make the rest of us look bad. Do us all a favor and dont come back next year.

ClassicCultRecords
04-20-2009, 07:06 PM
they did that on saturday night too, and i remember thinking they were just fucking up that dudes art piece

...you never fuck, with someones art.

LooseAtTheZoo
04-20-2009, 07:24 PM
I saw this walking out of the Cure, and kept going. Didn't look too interesting. This was at around 12:45 ish, did anything happen after that?

fober
04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Only hippies would riot without setting someone else's property on fire.

Lame.

digitaldragon03
04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
This.

Everyone with an ounce of sense knows that Coachella ends at a certain time, and then you leave. I've seen drunken people puking as I left before, but never a total asshat factory like this video.

If you're one of "those" people, then go fuck yourself. Seriously. People like you are what get festivals cancelled...and you make the rest of us look bad. Do us all a favor and dont come back next year.
Eat a dick. I guess everyone has an ounce of sense except Paul McCartney, The Cure, and Prince because they didnt stop when the festival was "supposed" to stop.

The people that made that art piece probably thought it was awesome that this single structure united the Coachella crowd in their own music. Look at the booklet, the art piece is suppose to be a place for inspiration an self expression. The crowd self expressed themselves by rocking the shit out of the final 15 minutes of the festival.

boarderwoozel3
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I didn't partake but watched from afar. Another boardie and I hung out on the grounds until we had to leave, albeit very reluctantly.

wakeupyounger
04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
The people that made that art piece probably thought it was awesome that this single structure united the Coachella crowd in their own music.

Are you joking? If we were to take a vote on the SINGLE structure that unites a Coachella crowd, I don't think it would be that art piece. It was a shitty thing to do, no matter how you want to justify it. :rolleyes

Sigur Ros Stache
04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
love the festival and all it stands for....dumbasses standing around when its time to go banging on someones work is not cool. Sorry, FAIL!

Weatherman
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
i'm surprised a riot didn't erupt during the leave in saturday's parking lot

SubBass49
04-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Eat a dick. I guess everyone has an ounce of sense except Paul McCartney, The Cure, and Prince because they didnt stop when the festival was "supposed" to stop.

The people that made that art piece probably thought it was awesome that this single structure united the Coachella crowd in their own music. Look at the booklet, the art piece is suppose to be a place for inspiration an self expression. The crowd self expressed themselves by rocking the shit out of the final 15 minutes of the festival.

First off, no thanks on the dick eating...don't wanna encroach on your territory.

Second the ARTISTS have every right to be there after the show...THEY WERE PERFORMING. If you have a brain cell or two in your empty fucking head, you know that WHEN THE SHOW IS OVER you leave. Yeah...fine...wanna run around and chant theres nothing wrong with that long as you're headed for the exit.

You wanna act like a Woodstock '99 reject and bang on people's artwork that (obviously) took a long time to create? Don't bitch and moan that someone manhandled you or sprayed pepper spray at you then. Act like an asshole, get treated like an asshole.

You wanna explain how I was able to manage going to this show for the past 10 fucking years without even once getting into a fight, getting yoked up by security, getting arrested, or getting pepper-sprayed? It's because I act with some fucking decency.

Fucking mob-mentality dipshit.

Baaaaaa!!! Coachell-baaaaaaaa!!! Baaaaaaa!!! Baaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Coachell-baaaaaaaa!!!

ivankay
04-21-2009, 06:23 AM
i got a 3 and a half minute movie of this. Once i get it up on the youtubes, i'll post it here. i did not see any of the pepper spraying and it is not on my video. i stopped shooting after the cops cleared people away from the structure. It seemed like good tribal fun. Some knuckleheads went too far and climbed up it (if you fell something tells me you wouldn't just say "Ah it's cool GV. I'll take care of my own medical bills and won't sue you because it was my own fault i'm a moron.").

elChurro
04-21-2009, 06:57 AM
its over people, go home, get out.

NappyWhiteKid
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Damn Nicole' sorry to hear it happened to you too, and mfnalaska, I can't believe they dragged someone down and took them out, I guess I was lucky (?)

I posted another thread seeing if anyone esle got sprayed here.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1169868

And everyone "Riot" is a Real stretch to the festival goers it was more like a huge drum circle.

-Peace
NWK

lowfront
04-21-2009, 08:28 AM
how about the dome take over sunday night camping?

that was some funny shit

"to the dome!!!!"

digitaldragon03
04-21-2009, 02:29 PM
First off, no thanks on the dick eating...don't wanna encroach on your territory.

Second the ARTISTS have every right to be there after the show...THEY WERE PERFORMING. If you have a brain cell or two in your empty fucking head, you know that WHEN THE SHOW IS OVER you leave. Yeah...fine...wanna run around and chant theres nothing wrong with that long as you're headed for the exit.

You wanna act like a Woodstock '99 reject and bang on people's artwork that (obviously) took a long time to create? Don't bitch and moan that someone manhandled you or sprayed pepper spray at you then. Act like an asshole, get treated like an asshole.

You wanna explain how I was able to manage going to this show for the past 10 fucking years without even once getting into a fight, getting yoked up by security, getting arrested, or getting pepper-sprayed? It's because I act with some fucking decency.

Baaaaaa!!! Coachell-baaaaaaaa!!! Baaaaaaa!!! Baaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Coachell-baaaaaaaa!!!
Are you seriously comparing this to Woodstock 99? The people at Woodstock 99 were hostile towards the police. They were throwing shit at the authorities, they were burning structures, they were raping people.

People in the shrine were chanting, jumping, and drumming on the walls, not trying to attack anybody. There was absolutely NO police presence until they started macing people. Once i saw 3 cops come in one of the entrances with their batons, i walked out the opposite side, as did everyone else. Apparently, there were a few people who walked out the wrong side and got maced for no reason. You obviously were not there to see that NOT ONE PERSON was being hostile to the authorities or each other.

SubBass49
04-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Are you seriously comparing this to Woodstock 99? The people at Woodstock 99 were hostile towards the police. They were throwing shit at the authorities, they were burning structures, they were raping people.

People in the shrine were chanting, jumping, and drumming on the walls, not trying to attack anybody. There was absolutely NO police presence until they started macing people. Once i saw 3 cops come in one of the entrances with their batons, i walked out the opposite side, as did everyone else. Apparently, there were a few people who walked out the wrong side and got maced for no reason. You obviously were not there to see that NOT ONE PERSON was being hostile to the authorities or each other.

I called these people Woodstock 99 REJECTS. I didn't say there were violent rapists. Figure it out.

"Oh yeah...I had a great time this weekend and want it to continue...let's smash on someone's artwork!"

Does that sound very intelligent to you? Really? Because it sounds fucking MORONIC to me.

Have you ever heard of leaving to go to an after-party? Motel party? Hotel party? Campground party?

Look...a cop comes into a situation like that...they've been asking the crowd to leave...the crowd is escalating...getting louder...more crazy. You want 'em to wait? Don't wanna get maced? Don't act like a cock (or hang out around people that do). It's not difficult.

Like I said, I've been to every single Coachella and NEVER ONCE had a problem. It's called acting with some common fucking sense & decency.

People like this are the same sort of people that got alcohol banned on all public beaches in San Diego because they don't know how to fucking act like grown-ups. They have to go and fuck things up for everyone else.

Personally I blame it on the spoiled-ass "mommy & daddy will fix all of my mistakes for me" society that we're trending towards. But that's just me.

Mariano
04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I saw this walking out of the Cure, and kept going. Didn't look too interesting. This was at around 12:45 ish

The same here.

jamesc2929
04-22-2009, 05:08 AM
I don't condone the police using mace on anyone at Coachella, but if some drunken idiots were ruining the entire experience for all the rest of us, then fuck em. The usual equation Alcohol + Idiots= police activity.

canexplain
04-22-2009, 06:14 AM
that could not even be called a mini riot ..... ah the good old days and tomaz hates when i say that :) cr****

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/P1010909.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/P1010915.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/P1010882.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/DSC04842.jpg

shakermaker113
04-22-2009, 06:53 AM
I wouldn't have described it as a riot. it looked to me like more of a celebration. not angry people, but people cheering and making a lot of noise to mark the end of such a great weekend. they were on a high and didn't just want to walk away. but maybe I misinterpreted it.

digitaldragon03
04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I called these people Woodstock 99 REJECTS. I didn't say there were violent rapists. Figure it out.

"Oh yeah...I had a great time this weekend and want it to continue...let's smash on someone's artwork!"

Does that sound very intelligent to you? Really? Because it sounds fucking MORONIC to me.

Have you ever heard of leaving to go to an after-party? Motel party? Hotel party? Campground party?

Look...a cop comes into a situation like that...they've been asking the crowd to leave...the crowd is escalating...getting louder...more crazy. You want 'em to wait? Don't wanna get maced? Don't act like a cock (or hang out around people that do). It's not difficult.

Like I said, I've been to every single Coachella and NEVER ONCE had a problem. It's called acting with some common fucking sense & decency.

People like this are the same sort of people that got alcohol banned on all public beaches in San Diego because they don't know how to fucking act like grown-ups. They have to go and fuck things up for everyone else.

Personally I blame it on the spoiled-ass "mommy & daddy will fix all of my mistakes for me" society that we're trending towards. But that's just me.

This NEVER fucking happened. Look at the video, how many security/police officers do you see pulling people out the house, trying to stop the fun? Exactly zero police presence before they came in and maced people. Besides, the art piece was fine. If people really wanted to destroy it, they couldve, but everyone was just using it to jump around in. I think a response by the artists would clear all of this up. Im sure they liked the fact that it ended up being the best place to be at the end of the night.

NicoleL
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I am urging anyone who was maced WITHOUT PREVIOUS WARNING by the police at the end of Sunday night OR WITNESSED THE EVENTS to file an official complaint, contact the Indio Police Department, and seek legal council. I received no warning, verbal or otherwise, before I was maced. National Institute of Justice recommends standard operating procedures that approve using pepper spray on "actively combative individuals who have resisted or ignored verbal commands," [NIJ TAP Report at p. 5.] The crowd was not combative nor resistant nor given adequate verbal commands. In the video footage you can hear an officer say "we're gonna mace somebody...you'll all get maced". This is barely audible in the video and was clearly not going to be audible to the entire crowd, especially those on the opposite side of the structure. The officer who maced me and those around me did not say anything before or while he maced the crowd, made no physical contact with the crowd, and made no attempts to get the crowds attention before he began using his weapon. The police did not attempt to use safe methods first such as sirens, megaphones, flashlights, or even raising their voices. Blinding a crowd of people is not safe and is not a practical way of mobilizing them toward an exit. Many of the people who were maced were simply making their way to the exit and stopped to see what was going on. I hope that no one sustained serious injuries and that the La Familia Divina-Shrine was not damaged.

Indio Police Department:
http://www.indiopd.org/contact.htm
Administrative Officer / Public Relations: Benjamin Guitron bguitron@indiopd.org
Chief's Office: (760) 391-4030
http://www.policeabuse.com/index.php...orms&formid=64

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfm8gyYZFn8

HandBanana
04-22-2009, 03:29 PM
SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

digitaldragon03
04-22-2009, 03:35 PM
lFiysb7-ovU&hl

Derek179
04-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Not really anything, shoulda seen the campsite, now that was pure fun.

oyeloca
04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
happen to me 2 ;/ and i was just walking by

SubBass49
04-23-2009, 05:22 AM
SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

Best post yet. lol

PrettyRagdoll
04-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Why is anything that happens on the last night immediately called a 'riot'? It wasn't

The Keymaster
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM
My two cents:

I agree that it wasn't a riot, but the police activity was way beyond what was necessary.

I saw the whole thing as I was walking out, so I stopped to see what was going on and filmed a bit of it. I was about ten feet from it. (Keep in mind I was completely sober--I don't take any intoxicants of any kind--so I saw all this with a clear head and memory.)

Things were already dissipating by the time the police arrived. I didn't hear a single police officer say anything to the crowd until AFTER people had been pushed and maced. (The only police officer that I heard actually ask people to leave was the blonde lady.) It all happened very quickly. If I had to estimate, I'd say it was maybe 20-30 seconds between when the police arrived and when random people started getting pushed and sprayed.

If they wanted people to leave, they should have come in with a bullhorn and said as much. Last year, the grounds stayed open well after Roger Waters' set ended.

If anyone wants to file a complaint, talk to the District Attorney, not the Indio Police Department. I doubt the police department will do anything about it.

NicoleL
04-23-2009, 09:18 PM
I contacted the author of this article about police (mis)use of pepper spray and mace:

http://www.nlg-npap.org/html/research/LWpepperspray.pdf

She is an attorney in Seattle. Here is her reply:

"Thanks for contacting me, Nichole, and yes I did write that article. I skimmed your horiffic account of what happened and also checked the Coachella blog for additional accounts. It appears that it was the private security guards who used pepper spray on you and others (for what reason, I can't tell). You will need to contact an attorney in southern California or the ACLU in Los Angeles for a referral to one. Unfortunately, if it was a private guard and not a publicly employed police officer, you don't have a cause of action for civil rights violations. You do have a claim for assault under California law against the security company and/or the festival organizers who hired them. I would strongly advise you to pursue that avenue to make sure this does not happen again. You might get all of those who were sprayed together to get one attorney to represent you as group. An attorney would be more likely to do that since your injuries per person are relatively low (say compared to a car accident). Here are some names of a couple of civil rights lawyers in LA who can advise you on what to do: Chris Ford 213-487-8000; Richard Solomon 310-445-9595. You might also try Robert Burns in San Diego 619-223-0441. You may have already found another attorney by now.

Good luck!"

I was sprayed by an officer in uniform, not a security guard. The officer who sprayed me was male, mid-thirties, had a shaved head, was about 6'1", african american, and wearing a black police uniform. Like many of you experienced, he said nothing and immediately aimed for my eyes.

I am compiling a list of witnesses and victims. If you were involved in any way, PLEASE send me your full name and a brief account of your experience. If your friends witnessed the events, please forward this information to them. If you were in the area and never heard the police but saw people leaving who had been sprayed, you are a valuable witness too. I will contact the civil rights lawyers list above and the ACLU and will continue to post developments on this thread.

***I URGE anyone who was a witness or a victim to file an official complaint. You can do so through either of the links listed below:

http://www.indiopd.org/IPD%20forms/ipd-complaint.pdf

http://www.policeabuse.com/index.php?option=com_performs&formid=64

ps - I also contacted Coachella and Goldenvoice and have not received a response.

tyles
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
"You can party, but you can't stay here." So a couple of people got maced because a group of people didn't want to leave. Awesome people. Great waste of utterly useful time. Not a riot, but not my idea of a good time either.

NicoleL
04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
If anyone wants to file a complaint, talk to the District Attorney, not the Indio Police Department.

Thank you for the advice! I reviewed the Riverside County District Attorney's website:

http://www.rivcoda.org

This is what the site says in it's 'common questions' section:

"Q: I want to file a complaint about a police officer (or sheriff). Can the district attorney help me?
A: No. You'll need to report the matter to the officer's employing agency. That agency is required by law to receive a complaint, investigate the matter, and respond back to the complaining party."

crazzz2007
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
MY FRIEND GOT MACED TOO!

Everybody was having a great time in that temple, chanting "coachella!", jumping up and down, just celebrating the weekend and not wanting to go home, and all of a sudden I was yanked out by a guard. Ok, fine, no biggy, time to go home. Then I walk around to find my friend and he grabs my water and throws it in his face, and his eyes are all blood red, and face looked all red too. Some other guy tells me he got pepper sprayed by a cop. This was completely unnecessary, as nobody was being violent. It totally ruined the end of the weekend for our group, since the last thing that happened at coachella was us trying to take care of our fucked up friend who got sprayed by some power trippin pig. I seriously hope somebody got his fuckin name or badge number.

oh, and i have some pics and video of the party before it got broken up that ill post in a bit.

ya, my wife was maced directly in the eye at point blank range. she was 20 feet away from the shrine, just watching.

frozen pilgrim
04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I for one ended my coachella sitting on the grass watching the quad cubatron until security cleared us out at about 12:30

anonimouse
04-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I for one ended my coachella sitting on the grass watching the quad cubatron until security cleared us out at about 12:30

YOU MEAN THERE WAS ANOTHER MASS RIOT BY THE CUBATRON?!?!!

digitaldragon03
04-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I for one ended my coachella sitting on the grass watching the quad cubatron until security cleared us out at about 12:30Stop destroying the grass you assholes.

Grass: narrow-leaved green herbage: grown as lawns; used as pasture for grazing animals; cut and dried as hay.

Fucking disrespectful kids.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1XM6gXpijgY/SYr5W50MZxI/AAAAAAAAAiQ/bvMbj0nKJ-A/s400/GranTorinoGun.jpg

ivankay
04-24-2009, 12:35 AM
9SahkvlBrVo

It's still processing, but here is 3:15 from another perspective.

digitaldragon03
04-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Hm5QNXCKtD4

digitaldragon03
04-24-2009, 12:53 AM
The videos keep popping up.

qsjaSgD8xl0

involvelemons
04-24-2009, 01:28 AM
You guys are dorks. :)

elbrycen
04-24-2009, 01:58 AM
how about the dome take over sunday night camping?

that was some funny shit

"to the dome!!!!"

i'm amazed there haven't been more poests about that incedent. that may have been the highlight of the weekend for me... although there were so many highlights it's hard to choose one... i think i started the 'to the dome' riot. this is what people told me, i was fucked up but i'm pretty sure its true. we would have made it too if 16 cops with tazers wasn't such a scary prospect.

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 05:17 AM
So let's re-cap:

Digital Dragon & some others are pretty much just pissed off about this.

NicoleL is trying to work the angles for a lawsuit to try and get some cash out of it.

Sound about right?

Wonder what Naked Wizard Guy is gonna do? Invest in Enzyte?

romadelinebot
04-24-2009, 08:40 AM
I posted this elsewhere, but it seems relevant here as well:

I have a number of points:
- SubBass is probably a cop, who we all know wasn't there, and therefore has really nothing credible to say about this situation. Let's ignore his attempts to discredit us, and focus on the more important issue, which is: What we're going to do about being pepper sprayed by people who were in a position of authority, without warning or being given a chance to leave, during a completely non violent drum circle.

-Just to clarify, yes, I was there, yes, I got pepper sprayed by a cop, at relatively close range, with NO WARNING whatsoever. Nothing. Not a peep. If he had told me to leave, in some fashion, either personally or via a bullhorn, I would have done so immediately. I wasn't destroying anything or being violent. I was standing next to a house that was being used as a drum. That's all.

-The only way to acquire an apology/statement from either the police department or Goldenvoice, and any kind of promise of different training for security/cops is to create a sign some kind of petition saying that we'd like an official statement/apology/incident report. They're not going to do any of those things without a whole lot of prodding, because neither the police nor Goldenvoice wants to call attention to this incident.....we as people without legal expertise might not be able to effectively prod without the help of some kind of lawyer, even if we decide not to pursue a lawsuit route. It doesn't bode well that Nicole hasn't gotten a response from the PD or Goldenvoice. So PLEASE people, if you were a witness/got maced, file your complaints!
No one is looking for a cash handout....an acknowledgment of wrongdoing and an apology would be steps in the right direction

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM
I posted this elsewhere, but it seems relevant here as well:

I have a number of points:
- SubBass is probably a cop, who we all know wasn't there, and therefore has really nothing credible to say about this situation. Let's ignore his attempts to discredit us, and focus on the more important issue, which is: What we're going to do about being pepper sprayed by people who were in a position of authority, without warning or being given a chance to leave, during a completely non violent drum circle.

-Just to clarify, yes, I was there, yes, I got pepper sprayed by a cop, at relatively close range, with NO WARNING whatsoever. Nothing. Not a peep. If he had told me to leave, in some fashion, either personally or via a bullhorn, I would have done so immediately. I wasn't destroying anything or being violent. I was standing next to a house that was being used as a drum. That's all.

-The only way to acquire an apology/statement from either the police department or Goldenvoice, and any kind of promise of different training for security/cops is to create a sign some kind of petition saying that we'd like an official statement/apology/incident report. They're not going to do any of those things without a whole lot of prodding, because neither the police nor Goldenvoice wants to call attention to this incident.....we as people without legal expertise might not be able to effectively prod without the help of some kind of lawyer, even if we decide not to pursue a lawsuit route. It doesn't bode well that Nicole hasn't gotten a response from the PD or Goldenvoice. So PLEASE people, if you were a witness/got maced, file your complaints!
No one is looking for a cash handout....an acknowledgment of wrongdoing and an apology would be steps in the right direction

I posted elsewhere that I'm not a cop, I'm a teacher...but whatever.

Please go ahead and file lawsuits. Please fuck up Coachella for the rest of us non-idiots. We'll really appreciate that.

I also posted this elsewhere:

A lawsuit will result in:

a). tighter security & restrictions
b). higher prices to recover lawsuit losses
c). higher prices for security (passed on to us as consumers)

Ask anyone that used to enjoy a beer or two at a beach in San Diego what people like you end up fucking up for everyone else.

digitaldragon03
04-24-2009, 12:50 PM
So let's re-cap:

Digital Dragon & some others are pretty much just pissed off about this.

NicoleL is trying to work the angles for a lawsuit to try and get some cash out of it.

Sound about right?

Wonder what Naked Wizard Guy is gonna do? Invest in Enzyte?
Pissed about what? I didnt get maced.

I just think youre an idiot for thinking this is a full on riot, and that this is going to end Coachella somehow.

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Did I ever say it was a full-on riot?

Get back to me when your reading comprehension tops that of a 3rd grader...mmmkay?

JebusLives
04-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Climbing on art = dumb
Pepper spraying people without warning = dumber

I left after the Cure stopped playing, and I'm glad.

NicoleL
04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Update:
A witness who saw me as I was being maced identified the officer who maced me as having a Banning Police Department embroidered badge on the arm of his uniform. If you were maced by an officer but were unable to see which department they belonged to, you should file a complaint with both the Indio Police Department and the Banning Police Department. Here is the contact information for the Banning Police Department.

321 W. Ramsey, Banning, CA 92220
banningpolice@ci.banning.ca.us
951-922-3170

In this video you can see the officers arm badges (3:05 to 3:10). Some are Indio Police and some are Banning Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjaSgD8xl0

Here are what each of the badges look like:

http://www.indiopd.org/images/ipd-patch-cc.jpg

http://www.banningpolice.org/images/patch.JPG

Banning Police Department Policy and Procedures:
http://www.banningpolice.org/policy.pdf

The section on oleoresin capsicum spray is on pages 50 - 53 and states:

"308.4 CHEMICAL AGENTS SPRAY GUIDELINES
Only authorized personnel may possess and maintain department issued oleoresin capsicum spray. Chemical agents are weapons used to minimize the potential for injury to
officers, offenders, or other persons. They should be used only in situations where such
force reasonably appears justified and necessary."

"308.4.4 TREATMENT FOR OC SPRAY EXPOSURE
Persons who have been affected by the use of chemical agents should be promptly
provided with the proper solution to cleanse the affected areas. Those persons who
complain of further severe effects shall be afforded a medical examination by competent
medical personnel.
308.4.5 REPORT OF USE
All uses of chemical agents shall be documented in the related arrest/crime report."

Section on filing a complaint is on pages 431-437 and states:

"1020.2.3 ACCEPTANCE OF COMPLAINTS
A complaint may be filed in person, in writing, or by telephoning the Department."

SubBass49
04-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Yay!!! NicoleL...risking fucking up Coachella for fun & profit!!! Woo-hooo!!!!

romadelinebot
04-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Yay!!! NicoleL...risking fucking up Coachella for fun & profit!!! Woo-hooo!!!!

Quit misrepresenting the situation. Trying to get the police to apologize for anything is never fun, and she already stated that she wasn't trying to get any money. You know that. You read her posts in the other threads.

lurker_with_a_bush
04-26-2009, 12:20 PM

this.

pro-coachella, lol.

lurker_with_a_bush
04-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Update:
A witness who saw me as I was being maced identified the officer who maced me as having a Banning Police Department embroidered badge on the arm of his uniform. If you were maced by an officer but were unable to see which department they belonged to, you should file a complaint with both the Indio Police Department and the Banning Police Department. Here is the contact information for the Banning Police Department.

321 W. Ramsey, Banning, CA 92220
banningpolice@ci.banning.ca.us
951-922-3170

In this video you can see the officers arm badges (3:05 to 3:10). Some are Indio Police and some are Banning Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjaSgD8xl0

Here are what each of the badges look like:

http://www.indiopd.org/images/ipd-patch-cc.jpg

http://www.banningpolice.org/images/patch.JPG

Banning Police Department Policy and Procedures:
http://www.banningpolice.org/policy.pdf

The section on oleoresin capsicum spray is on pages 50 - 53 and states:

"308.4 CHEMICAL AGENTS SPRAY GUIDELINES
Only authorized personnel may possess and maintain department issued oleoresin capsicum spray. Chemical agents are weapons used to minimize the potential for injury to
officers, offenders, or other persons. They should be used only in situations where such
force reasonably appears justified and necessary."

"308.4.4 TREATMENT FOR OC SPRAY EXPOSURE
Persons who have been affected by the use of chemical agents should be promptly
provided with the proper solution to cleanse the affected areas. Those persons who
complain of further severe effects shall be afforded a medical examination by competent
medical personnel.
308.4.5 REPORT OF USE
All uses of chemical agents shall be documented in the related arrest/crime report."

Section on filing a complaint is on pages 431-437 and states:

"1020.2.3 ACCEPTANCE OF COMPLAINTS
A complaint may be filed in person, in writing, or by telephoning the Department."

you got maced, don't climb on the art work from now on (or hang out with loiters).
welcome to coachella.

SubBass49
04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
NicoleL -

Did you require medical attention?
Did you go to the hospital?
Did you have any monetary expenses due to the incident?
Did you take photos of your injuries?

These are all things a judge would want to know in the case of a lawsuit.

neverclever
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm SO glad the cops are there to tackle naked guys and pepper spray girls who loiter too long. It makes my weekend more enjoyable.

rage patton
04-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Does anyone else find it absolutely fucking hilarious that THE CURE stared a mini-riot, yet nothing happened after Rage Against The Machine?

SubBass49
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Kinda confusing huh?

Really I wouldn't say the Cure started the "riot" though. It was more about a bunch of dumbasses that didn't want the party to end, and didn't have enough sense to leave the polo field when asked to do so.

Yeah, in '99 Rage fans burned banners in the fields during RATM's set, but when the lights came on and it was time to go, they left. Funny when they played again, everyone was afraid of the "bad element" that would show up. Turns out they were more respectful than a lot of the pop music fans. Go figure.

neverclever
04-27-2009, 03:28 PM
If they had pepper sprayed Rage fans they wouldn't get a couple of lawsuits that's for sure.

SubBass49
04-27-2009, 07:07 PM
They probably wouldn't have bothered with pepper spray on them...they would have gone straight to tear-gas & rubber bullets like they did at the Staples Center riots back in 2000. I was there too.

digitaldragon03
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Why are people hung up on the word "riot"? This was far from a riot.

SubBass49
04-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Well, my last use of the word "riot" was in reference to an actual riot. The one before that had quotation marks around it to indicate that I think the Coachella thing was far from a riot. Thought you could manage to get that.

Kiefer
04-28-2009, 06:00 AM
In my experience, when the last band plays the last song, you leave. A person could have used a gigantic bag to dispose of all the douches in this video.

Coachella Bound
04-28-2009, 08:12 AM
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CAMPING NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Problem solved!!

Infact security told us to get wild cause it was our last night. Party didnt stop till about 4:20 in the morning......hmmmm.

As far as the so called "mini-riot", i would have to hear what the artist has to say, because it could go either way.

Pepper spraying people in this kind of non-violent situation, without any kind of warning is not acceptable, if you don't agree then your obviously a very bitter human being and take pleasure out of the mis-fortune of others.

I believe thats SubBass' issue. If he is infact a "teacher" then whether he wants to admit it or not, he feels he's smarter than all of us. Therefor, he looks at a video like this and misinterprits a crowds good time, for barbaric ritualistics. Basically viewing all those in participation as insignificant creatures....... am i pretty much on the money here buddy?

SubBass49
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
I believe thats SubBass' issue. If he is infact a "teacher" then whether he wants to admit it or not, he feels he's smarter than all of us. Therefor, he looks at a video like this and misinterprits a crowds good time, for barbaric ritualistics. Basically viewing all those in participation as insignificant creatures....... am i pretty much on the money here buddy?

Not even close, but thanks for playing.

digitaldragon03
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, my last use of the word "riot" was in reference to an actual riot. The one before that had quotation marks around it to indicate that I think the Coachella thing was far from a riot. Thought you could manage to get that.

Ok, we agree it wasnt a riot. So if its not a riot, then what justification does anyone have to use mace on that crowd?

Either its a riot and authorities can mace the crowd to make them disperse, or its not a riot and all the people that were maced have a right to be pissed about the fact?

canexplain
04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Ok, we agree it wasnt a riot. So if its not a riot, then what justification does anyone have to use mace on that crowd?

Either its a riot and authorities can mace the crowd to make them disperse, or its not a riot and all the people that were maced have a right to be pissed about the fact?

just to nit pick .... a woman can spray a man who is trying to attact her and that isnt a riot ..... so spray is not confined only to riot situations .... ask rodney lol ... cr****

SubBass49
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Ever watch Operacion Repo? They mace people when they act like asses.

Ever see a cop break up a one-on-one fight? They mace people when they act like asses.

Ever see a person attacked by a pitbull? They often mace the animal.

None of those situations have jack shit to do with a riot, but they are all legit uses of mace and/or pepper spray.

http://www.hemmy.net/images/interesting/fail28.jpg
(you)

digitaldragon03
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
All of those examples you provided include hostile people or animals. Ive yet to see you provide a good argument for the use of mace in this situation.

All i see is name calling to hide your shitty argument.

total asshat factory

If you're one of "those" people, then go fuck yourself.

If you have a brain cell or two in your empty fucking head,

I called these people Woodstock 99 REJECTS.

It's called acting with some common fucking sense & decency.
they don't know how to fucking act like grown-ups. They have to go and fuck things up for everyone else.

Please fuck up Coachella for the rest of us non-idiots. We'll really appreciate that.

Get back to me when your reading comprehension tops that of a 3rd grader...mmmkay?

It was more about a bunch of dumbasses that didn't want the party to end

http://www.hemmy.net/images/interesting/fail28.jpg
(you)
lol.

GoodEarth
04-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Coachella will never be a woodstock, we are Californias and we don't care enough about anything to act like a Woodstock, the only reason we Riot is when we get a chance to steal stuff

SubBass49
04-28-2009, 08:32 PM
digitaldragon...you sure do spend a lot of time on this whole argument. lol...not making much ground either. Time to give up and recognize that no one person has all the answers?

Hawkings
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2989616268_53ffbf0c08.jpg?v=0

After the Cure I saw the people having a drum circle on the walls of the shrine but walked by. The fact it was religiously themed and art makes it two things you probably shouldn't be banging on and climbing on, it's not yours nor part of some annoymous corporate entity but art. The fact the booklet we got described the artist collecting objects for his shrine over 20 years makes it seem a bit crass to treat it that way. I like coachella because portapoties don't get overturned and lit on fire but the extent of discontent typically doesn't go further than music nerds grumbling about Death Cab's set. That being said sorry they couldn't get people to leave more peacably and try to ask. It sounds like they handled it poorly and didn't try to ask the people to leave but quickly resorted to mace. I hope the city doesn't view this as even more reason to hold to the midnight noise ordinance for the show but I feel for the people that had such a traumatic ending to the festival.