PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on Bjork

braundiggity
01-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Okay, I want to be excited, but I'm not. That said, I don't know much Bjork.

All I have is "Medulla," which I find interesting, but not good.

Tell me albums to get, and specific songs to listen to. Make me a fan. Please.

wmgaretjax
01-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Verspertine is easily one of the top 3 albums of all time.

luckyface
01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Start with Vespertine. That album is pure money. I am also a big fan of Homogenic.

Medulla does not give you a good representation of what she sounds like, if you ask me.

Songs to check: Hidden Place, Pagan Poetry, Undo, Joga, All is Full of Love, Army of Me

newalias
01-21-2007, 02:37 PM
selmasongs and debut are memorable for me.

bmack86
01-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Post and Homogenic are her two classics. Debut and Vespertine are both good, but don't have the same scope. Medulla is fun, but not as impressive as Post or Homogenic.

NoneForMeThanks
01-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Okay, I want to be excited, but I'm not. That said, I don't know much Bjork.

All I have is "Medulla," which I find interesting, but not good.

Tell me albums to get, and specific songs to listen to. Make me a fan. Please.

I thought I recognized your user name on LJ.

Wow - you started with Medulla. The fact that you still want to give Bjork a chance after that is awesome. I mean, it's a cool album, but not the one to start with. "Post" is my favorite album. "Hyper-ballad" is one of my favorite songs ever recorded.

newalias
01-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Start with Vespertine. That album is pure money. I am also a big fan of Homogenic.

Medulla does not give you a good representation of what she sounds like, if you ask me.

Songs to check: Hidden Place, Pagan Poetry, Undo, Joga, All is Full of Love, Army of Me

True, this is when her creative genius explodes. The entire Medulla album is human beatbox and explores a darker side of the human imagination.

If you are daring, listen to the Soundtrack to Drawing Restraint 9, entire album is composed by Bjork.

My song recommendations: There is more to life than this, Hyperballad, Cocoon, I've seen it all, Human Behaviour

Boourns
01-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Somebody post some albums on yousendit and then put the links in here...that's the best education.

newalias
01-21-2007, 02:50 PM
agreed. 1,2,3, NOT IT.

braundiggity
01-21-2007, 02:50 PM
yeah, I'd heard Medulla was all a capella and human beatboxing, it intrigued me, so I started there. It's like starting out on Radiohead with Kid A...just doesn't work. I need to work my way there. Thanks.

woogie846
01-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Venus As a Boy is a great song.

rgaker
01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I LOVE the Sugar Cubes! I still listen to them, but I kinda lost track of Bjork after the Suger Cubes. I don't really know why because her voice and music are amazing. I just loaded a few of her songs suggested in the above post...I can't wait to see her play live!

ttboy80
01-21-2007, 03:00 PM
you should really get excited. Shes a freak and we love her

newalias
01-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Pagan poetry is the raunchiest video ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQuPqopDvX4

she filmed her and her boyfriend having sex for this one and did some animation over it. she also pierced herself a bajillion times.

woogie846
01-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Check out the All Is Full of Love video. It's Chris Cunningham at his best.

Omar1
01-21-2007, 03:30 PM
bjork-post(live)
http://rapidshare.com/files/327074/Bjoerk_-_2003_-_Livebox__Disc_2__-_Post_Live.rar

debut

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJWNJVNU

Mabdul Doobakus
01-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Homogenic is probably my favorite album ever.

All Is Full Of Love may be my favorite Bjork song, and it's the closer on that album. But I like the single version better. The difference between the two is kind of mammoth, so you should definitely check both out.

Other favorite Bjork songs include: Joga, Alarm Call, Hyperballad, Human Behavior, Unison, New World, and Bachelorette

woogie846
01-21-2007, 05:59 PM
My favorites: All is Full of Love, Human Behaviour, Venus As A Boy, Army of me, Hyperballad.

Alchemy
01-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Can anybody send me "Amphibian" from Being John Malkovich? I love that tune.

thaipod
01-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Post and Homogenic are my favorites.

Also, Bjork is VERY GOOD live. I'm not really a huge Bjork fan, but seeing her live made me more of one, that's for sure.

Boourns
01-21-2007, 06:36 PM
bjork-post(live)
http://rapidshare.com/files/327074/Bjoerk_-_2003_-_Livebox__Disc_2__-_Post_Live.rar

debut

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJWNJVNU

Thank you, kindly.

Tylerdurden31
01-21-2007, 06:38 PM
POST POST POST POST

Kiefer
01-21-2007, 06:43 PM
why do people get such a boner over vespertine? it's good, but her first three albums were still the best imo.

KungFuJoe
01-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Gling-Glo is a fun one too.

After you catch up on the rest of course.

whynotsmile99
01-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Pagan poetry is the raunchiest video ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQuPqopDvX4

she filmed her and her boyfriend having sex for this one and did some animation over it. she also pierced herself a bajillion times.

im a huge bjork fan but never saw this video! wow that great! and even some nudity thrown in. God I love bjork.

amdux
01-21-2007, 11:30 PM
she sounded best when "the computer is sick" in 2004, and if i remember correctly, she did a song with just a cello (don't remember which one)

but her extraterrestial voice (in that its impossible for a human voice to be that great AND powerful) found the perfect visual symbiote in the full moon, and its only fitting she returns this year to another moonlit night, though it would be only goddmamn ideal if she sang Unison, every other stage, noise and voice went silent for those 7 minutes, and the only light for that time was a single, soft light on her from the control booth and the moon itself

:p

Kiefer
01-22-2007, 03:43 AM
when i saw her on her last "larger" tour (vespertine, i think) she did play mostly vespertine and homogenic songs. i'm really hoping for older stuff. what did she do at the prior coachella she was at?

taniagr
01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
You should probably start with the Greatest Hits album...

mongrel cat
01-22-2007, 12:56 PM
My favorite Bjork album is "post" and my favorite song by her is "Storm"...check em out ;)

taniagr
01-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Bjork Bjork Bjork
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/stevemavi/swedish_chef.jpg

HA HA HA

mongrel cat
01-22-2007, 12:59 PM
she filmed her and her boyfriend having sex for this one and did some animation over it.
Who told you this?

amyzzz
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM

SRSLY?? I'd never heard of that. I love each and every one of Bjork's albums. I would start chronologically and work your way through. Start with Debut, Post, Homogenic, Vespertine, Selmasongs (I forget if that's the right way). Bjork is a crazy, insane genius with an amazing, unique voice. I am SO STOKED to see her live as a solo artist.

Also, I confirmed Bjork weeks ago. Just sayin'.

dizfactor
01-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I would start chronologically and work your way through. Start with Debut, Post, Homogenic, Vespertine, Selmasongs (I forget if that's the right way).

I think you have Selmasongs and Vespertine reversed, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I agree that the chronological approach works best for Bjork. What's most interesting about her as an artist is her constant evolution. You can see how she explores new territory with each album.

That said, I think her best album is Homogenic, which is easily the best album of the 90s by any artist IMHO, and that while Selmasongs and Vespertine are both very good albums and do explore new territory for her, they have suffered somewhat by comparisons to Homogenic and I think she played it safe a bit without really knowing where to go after such triumphal heights. I think Medulla is where she really started exploring bold new directions again, and I think it's where she proved that she will, one day, top Homogenic.

Medulla is my second-favorite Bjork album, but it's her least accessible one and really needs to be heard after you've heard where she's been on the previous albums. I definitely agree with whoever said you deserve credit for sticking with her if that's your first exposure to her.

She's really one of the only artists I can think of who first came to prominence as the lead singer of a band and who actually got a million times better when she broke out on her own.

mschirmersf
01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
You need to get the following:
Debut, Post, Homogenic, Vespertine (these are musts! They are all super classics)
Other good records:
Selmasongs, Telegraph, Greatest Hits
Medulla is good for a hardcore Bjork fan, but not a very good example of what she is loved for.

braundiggity
01-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Medulla is my second-favorite Bjork album, but it's her least accessible one and really needs to be heard after you've heard where she's been on the previous albums. I definitely agree with whoever said you deserve credit for sticking with her if that's your first exposure to her.

Thanks. The same thing happened with Radiohead -- I heard Amnesiac and Kid A first, and hated it. A year later, I bought The Bends, which is now my all time favorite album, and worked my way through OK Computer (also top 10), Hail to the Thief, and finally came to love Kid A (still hate Amnesiac).

It's just a matter of recognizing that these people are as popular as they are for a reason. I mean, anyone can see that Bjork doesn't have the pop accessibility of, say, the Chili Peppers. I guess I just get frustrated by people who immediately dismiss acts that require time and effort to really get, because those artists are, for me, ultimately the most rewarding.

So ends my schpiel.

braundiggity
01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm downloading debut right now, and i'll get vespertine and homogenic tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

avonhun
01-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I would say Homogenic is her best album, but I think Telegram deserves a lot of love. Telegram is a remix album of Post that really adds a lot to the songs. Hyper-ballad makes use of a string quartet, while I Miss You adds a rap verse. It really shows bjork's range. I highly recommend you listen to Post and Telegram as well.

woogie846
01-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Yea, I would say start with Greatest Hits so you don't have to waste your time to see if you really like her or not.

jackstraw94086
01-23-2007, 08:09 PM
uvjFlVvq7h0

vqPRjrJ6b-k

sighlent
01-23-2007, 08:27 PM
i really think you need to absorb her albums the way they were released... not one really duplicates another.

vespertine is impossible not to enjoy... maybe the greatest would be a safe start.

sighlent
01-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Anyone who mildly enjoys Medulla... I think you should check out the making of dvd she put out... made me understand the album so much more.

musicfan66
01-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Saw her in 2002, definitely a must-see performance.

Here is how I'd rate her CD's (at least the CD's I have)

Homogenic A+ (personal favorite, one of the best of the 90's imo)
Debut A
Post A-
Selmasongs B
Vespertine C (sorry, just couldn't get into this one)

I'd start out with Debut or Homogenic.

macuna@ucsc.edu
02-07-2007, 10:09 PM
what exactly is Bjork's appeal?

wmgaretjax
02-07-2007, 10:14 PM
man... how can you not like Vespertine? that surprises me.

The biggest appeal about Bjork to me is that she manages to retain a lot of elements that are characteristic of pop music, while still pushing the envelope with form and production.