PDA

View Full Version : New Mars Volta album info

TallGuyCM
04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Posted on their myspace blog:

OCTAHEDRON
THE MARS VOLTA: OCTAHEDRON
Out June 23 on Warner Bros. Records (NORTH AMERICA) and June 22nd on Mercury Records (REST OF WORLD)

The Mars Volta's fifth studio album, Octahedron, will be released June 23 by Warner Bros. Records in North America and on June 22nd on Mercury Records in the rest of the world.

The first single in North America will be "Since We've Been Wrong" while overseas it will be Cotopaxi.

Octahedron was written by The Mars Volta--Omar Rodriguez Lopez (music, arrangements, direction) and Cedric Bixler Zavala (vocals, lyrics)--and performed by The Mars Volta group: Marcel Rodriguez Lopez, Thomas Pridgen, John Frusciante, Isaiah Ikey Owens, Juan Alderete de la Pena, Cedric Bixler Zavala and Omar Rodriguez Lopez.

GnarVee
04-14-2009, 11:05 AM
FUCKING SWEET!

kreutz2112
04-14-2009, 11:05 AM
I hope that single is a song about their past two albums.

GnarVee
04-14-2009, 11:06 AM

fur reals

wmgaretjax
04-14-2009, 11:07 AM

haha. spot on.

rage patton
04-14-2009, 11:09 AM
This is a hoax. Do we seriously believe they have a song titled "Since We've Been Wrong"? That is WAY to coherent for The Mars Volta.

while overseas it will be Cotopaxi.

This is more like it.

wmgaretjax
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
01 Since We've Been Wrong
02 Teflon
03 Halo of Nembutals
04 With Twilight as My Guide
05 Cotopaxi
06 Desperate Graves
07 Copernicus
08 Luciforms

pancakespancakes
04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
1. "Since We've Been Wrong"
2. "Teflon"
3. "Halo of Nembutals"
4. "With Twilight as My Guide"
5. "Cotopaxi"
6. "Desperate Graves"
7. "Copernicus"
8. "Luciforms"

8 songs in 49 minutes? I like this already...

boboso
04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
I wonder if the new single is the same one they played at their NYE show.

pancakespancakes
04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Haha shit wmgaretjax just beat me to it

pancakespancakes
04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I wonder if the new single is the same one they played at their NYE show.

That's what I'm guessing seeing as it contains what sounds like the lyrics "since we've been wrong" in the chorus...

rage patton
04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Have any of these songs been released? If so... do they more resemble Amputechture/Bedlam.... or Deloused/Frances?

kreutz2112
04-14-2009, 11:15 AM
I can't imagine them NOT resembling Amputechture/Bedlam. It hasn't been long since Bedlam.

pancakespancakes
04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Have any of these songs been released? If so... do they more resemble Amputechture/Bedlam.... or Deloused/Frances?

Not really, only one of the songs has been performed, which was at the NYE show I was at last year, and it is ostensibly the first song on this album... and it was all acoustic, just two guitars and vocals, and really mellow and sad, kinda like The Widow and Televators. You can find it on youtube...

They played some new jams on this last tour, the one I saw at Detour sounded a lot along the lines of L'Via, sorta funky and salsa-inflected, I'm not sure if it'll make it's way onto this album or not...

cansei de ser sexme
04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I loved deloused but never got the last two. Were there any good moments in either? I heard such negative reviews I didnt even bother.

TallGuyCM
04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
the one I saw at Detour sounded a lot along the lines of L'Via

That would make for a great return to form!

"Octahedron" almost sounds like a fake album name to me, like it's just too typical of what an album name/song title would sound like coming from the Mars Volta.

pancakespancakes
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
I can't imagine them NOT resembling Amputechture/Bedlam. It hasn't been long since Bedlam.

I doubt it will resemble any of the four albums at thsi point, they're probably just moving on further right now, especially considering the relative brevity of this album... I imagine this one will be much more melodic and mellow than their other albums, not sure if that's what you guys are looking for or not though...

TallGuyCM
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Were there any good moments in either?

If tracks 1-5 of Bedlam were just released as an EP, it would have been some of their best work. All of the songs flow into each other so well, it's phenomenal. After that though, not the greatest stuff.

Oh, and "Viscera Eyes" from Amputechture is what got me into the band. So yeah, look that up if you haven't heard it.

kreutz2112
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
"Octahedron" almost sounds like a fake album name to me, like it's just too typical of what an album name/song title would sound like coming from the Mars Volta.

um, they've never strayed from that formula. ever.

kreutz2112
04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
I doubt it will resemble any of the four albums at thsi point, they're probably just moving on further right now, especially considering the relative brevity of this album... I imagine this one will be much more melodic and mellow than their other albums, not sure if that's what you guys are looking for or not though...

I read somewhere that this is going to be they're "acoustic ballad" album.

Dogvolta
04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Not going to lie, I think that because I put so much time/effort/energy/love/obsession into Tremula, Deloused, and Frances, that by the time Amputechture and eventually Bedlam released....I was just tired and not willing.

wmgaretjax
04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Wh6uV5r-NN8

not acoustic anymore. sounds lame... but that's not fair from a 30 second clip.

pancakespancakes
04-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I read somewhere that this is going to be they're "acoustic ballad" album.

Yeah that's what they said a while back, kinda as a joke, but it will still probably be much more mellow this time out.

They also said Amputechture would have much more acoustic before it came out material but that didn't exactly turn out to be true...

pancakespancakes
04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Ohhh that's interesting. How long's that been out now?

BlackSwan
04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
There should be a "Tell Us About Upcoming 2009 Albums" thread.

kreutz2112
04-14-2009, 11:27 AM
god I hate Amputechture so much.

rage patton
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Bedlam was FAR worse than Amputechture...

And the 30 second clip is better than anything off of Bedlam, and most of Amputechture.

kreutz2112
04-14-2009, 11:47 AM

I disagree.

I have tried to make it all the way through Amputechture at least 5 different times. I can't do it. Bedlam on the other hand I have listened to all the way through maybe 4 times.

rage patton
04-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Day of The Baphomets is atleast 10 times a better song than any song on Bedlam is, in my opinion anyways.

GnarVee
04-14-2009, 12:01 PM

And the 30 second clip is better than anything off of Bedlam, and most of Amputechture.

I AGREE 100%

04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
bedlam is fucking amazing, fuck yall

pancakespancakes
04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Bedlam is great when it's good, and horrible when it's not good

Amputechture is of equal merit to De-Loused in my mind, but I have strange taste of course...

wmgaretjax
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
you all need to go suck a dick.

suprefan
04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I like how you are a month late on this info almost.

greghead
04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I loved deloused but never got the last two. Were there any good moments in either? I heard such negative reviews I didnt even bother.

I really liked some of Amputechture ("Asilos Magdalena" and "Day of the Baphomets" mostly), but I thought Bedlam was terrible front to back.

pancakespancakes
04-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Not gonna lie, I am thoroughly enjoying this new single, "Cotopaxi."

X-MOKNhYvZc

Still the same headbangingly shitty production style of TBIG, but dare I say it, that is a hell of a riff he's got going there. And Cedric's singing is not as god-aweful at some points in time as it has been as of late.

All in all though, it has me worried that we're just in for The Bedlam, Pt. 2 this time out.

rage patton
04-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Hmmm... not too bad. Not too great either though. Unfortunately, I have a feeling Im not going to like their new album.

I was listening to Frances The Mute today. *Sigh* What happened to them?

boarderwoozel3
04-30-2009, 11:36 PM
For me, Mars Volta is one of those bands whose sound is overshadowed by the utter douchbaginess of its members (I'm looking at you, Cedric).

pancakespancakes
04-30-2009, 11:37 PM
*Sigh* What happened to them?

:(

Onward and downward? Haha.

Well, at least I still find them as great live as they've always been... but I am about ready to turn in my Volta fan glove, I think... expectations are not high for this one.

boarderwoozel3
04-30-2009, 11:38 PM
I like how you are a month late on this info almost.

Yep.

pancakespancakes
04-30-2009, 11:38 PM
For me, Mars Volta is one of those bands whose sound is overshadowed by the utter douchbaginess of its members (I'm looking at you, Cedric).

I will never disagree with this. Omar is quite a lovely person off stage, though.

rage patton
04-30-2009, 11:40 PM
:(

Onward and downward? Haha.

Well, at least I still find them as great live as they've always been... but I am about ready to turn in my Volta fan glove, I think... expectations are not high for this one.

Onward and downward indeed.

I've seen them be quite successfull at sucking. I have also seen them rock my fucking face off. I am very torn about whether or not I want to see them at Bonnaroo.

pancakespancakes
04-30-2009, 11:47 PM
I can see how you would be especially torn seeing as there the sort of band that clearly need a commitment to when at a music festival. So yeah, you can't really hop right into their set after missing the first half hour. If anyone you look forward to seeing at all is playing during their timeslot, I'd recommend skipping TMV entirely.

I think, when it comes down to it... call me crazy here... but I think if they get a daylight time slot at Bonnaroo, they are going to totally crash and burn. The failure of the weekend. And if they get a nighttime slot, (not necessarily late night, just after dark), they are really going to shine. A highlight of the weekend for a lot of people.

Just my prediction... they've pretty much never had a "great" set in broad daylight as far as I'm concerned, so I think that's really a big decider.

TallGuyCM
04-30-2009, 11:50 PM
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/Advice-Thom-Yorke-I-hate-Suprefan.jpg

Holy shit, that's the greatest thing I've seen in a good little while. He would literally melt into a puddle and cease to exist if Thom Yorke ever actually told him in person that he hated him. lulzx100000000000000

rage patton
04-30-2009, 11:53 PM
I can see how you would be especially torn seeing as there the sort of band that clearly need a commitment to when at a music festival. So yeah, you can't really hop right into their set after missing the first half hour. If anyone you look forward to seeing at all is playing during their timeslot, I'd recommend skipping TMV entirely.

I think, when it comes down to it... call me crazy here... but I think if they get a daylight time slot at Bonnaroo, they are going to totally crash and burn. The failure of the weekend. And if they get a nighttime slot, (not necessarily late night, just after dark), they are really going to shine. A highlight of the weekend for a lot of people.

Just my prediction... they've pretty much never had a "great" set in broad daylight as far as I'm concerned, so I think that's really a big decider.

I think you are 100% right.

My dream would be TMV closing down the second stage. 7:30-9:30 perhaps. I think they would destroy in that time slot. Even an hour earlier and Cedric will be pissed the Sun is out and will intentionally sabotage their set.