PDA

View Full Version : DIGITAL CAMCORDERS, YES? NO? MAYBE SO?

lusciouslou
04-12-2009, 07:38 PM
hey guys, i really want to capture all that i can this year at coachella and im wondering if i can take this canon dc100 dvd camcorder to the festival or will i just get rejected at the entrance? heres a pic of the camera. i know its not the best camcorder in the world but, its gets the job done.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/canon-dc100/4505-6500_7-31840778.html

magmazing
04-12-2009, 08:23 PM
If security sees that camera you will not get in.

Stickjohn
04-12-2009, 09:15 PM
The Rules/FAQ (http://www.coachella.com/event/rules-faq#faq0-9) state "No video cameras."

lusciouslou
04-12-2009, 10:40 PM
bummer times.

magmazing
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Of course while the rules state that video cameras aren't allowed, it doesn't mean people don't sneak them in like anything else. :rolleyes

flowbee
04-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Just get a digital camera that has good video taking ability and be one of the thousands of other people annoyingly holding up their camera above their head during shows

The microphone on them won't be able to capture good sound but it's better than nothing.

King Fausto
04-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Since we're on the topic, what does Coachella security consider "professional" photography equipment?

Their non-pro statement is a little vague.

I'm going to be fine bringing in a DSLR, right?

OCGIRL714
04-12-2009, 11:40 PM
If you want to bring a video camera just put it in your crotch when you go through security. They won't find it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Since we're on the topic, what does Coachella security consider "professional" photography equipment?

their statement is not vague at all. They define "pro" as any camera with a removable lense

CitizenJ
04-13-2009, 12:33 AM
you know, it really sucks when you are trying to watch a show, but the artists head is blocked by a row of morons holding up video cameras and cell phones... CUT THE CRAP AND WATCH THE SHOW!

anonimouse
04-13-2009, 02:07 AM
i tried bringing in a video camera a few years ago. it sucked having to walk a couple miles back to the car in 90something degree heat, especially after waiting in line for 30 mins to get in

you can try, just make sure you have a really good hiding place. otherwise you will get to share a similar story

influence
04-13-2009, 02:53 AM
No dslrs allowed.

frozen pilgrim
04-13-2009, 03:34 AM

no.

King Fausto
04-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I love it when I miss something on the FAQ!

Now, if I've only got one lens with me, what's the difference between having a point and shoot and a dSLR?

mofomofo
04-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Now, if I've only got one lens with me, what's the difference between having a point and shoot and a dSLR?

From one lurker to another: are you serious?

That one brought me out of hibernation...

jaysocal
04-13-2009, 11:04 AM

You must have press credentials to bring in a professional camera, that includes a DSLR -- if the lens can come off, its a professional camera (regardless of what style of camera it is). Security officers really do enforce this!

mountmccabe
04-13-2009, 12:43 PM

They need a rule that can be easily understood and enforced.

They could have a complicated definition of what a professional camera is, something about zoom and megapixels and various features... but that would require every camera to be carefully examined... which would take a lot of time.

Also how do you prove that you only have one lens and that you didn't get someone else to sneak alternate lenses in for you?

So they go with professional camera = "Any camera with a removable lens." Sounds pretty easy to me.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-13-2009, 02:10 PM
how the fuck do you read 'anything with removable lens' and still ask these questions?

psychic friend
04-13-2009, 02:17 PM
<-- see avatar

consistingof
04-13-2009, 02:38 PM
oh nooooo , i just bought a new camera

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H50/H50A.HTM

it's considered a DSLRS, but i don't have a removable lens. shit's wack.
so will it get in?

lusciouslou
04-13-2009, 05:46 PM
thats what im afraid of, walking in the hot ass sun like a dumbass back to the car then wait another 30 min or hour to get in! lol

jaysocal
04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
oh nooooo , i just bought a new camera

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H50/H50A.HTM

it's considered a DSLRS, but i don't have a removable lens. shit's wack.
so will it get in?

Quite honestly, this may be the most unequivocal rule on the Coachella FAQ...Here is the decision process you should go through:

Does the camera's lense come off?

Yes --> Don't bring it!
No --> You are okay

Come on people! Really!