PDA

View Full Version : LA Times confirmations article

Vegasoasis
01-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Rage Against the Machine will reunite for Coachella
Red Hot Chili Peppers and Björk also top the bill for the three-day music festival.
By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
R

age Against the Machine, the seminal L.A. band that made heavy music into political manifesto, will reunite after a seven-year lull for one show as the headliners at the 2007 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.

Sources say Rage, which played the main stage at the first Coachella in 1999, will be joined by other familiar faces for the eighth edition of the festival, which covers three days this year and begins April 27: Red Hot Chili Peppers, which headlined in 2003, are back, as is Björk, who topped the bill in 2002.

Organizers were mum this weekend and it was not clear which day Rage or the other acts were slotted to play; that announcement is expected in the next few days. Other acts expected in the eclectic lineup: Arcade Fire, Interpol, Willie Nelson, the Roots, Manu Chao, the Decemberists, Arctic Monkeys, Sonic Youth, Crowded House, Air, Tiësto and Kings of Leon.

Tickets go on sale Saturday, via Ticketmaster. Three-day passes will cost about $250 and there will be a limited number of single-day passes available.

The headliners are not novel, but they are potent. The Peppers are up for their first best album Grammy right now, and Björk remains a mesmerizing figure to fans of avant pop. But in Southern California rock circles, there is very little that could compete with the excitement of a Rage Against the Machine reunion. The quartet's hybrid of funk, rap, metal and leftist ideology was as subtle as a Molotov cocktail; in the 1990s, its aggro-anthems made it the only band that mattered to a fan base that included East L.A. protest kids as well as those in Hollywood punk circles, college dorms and mainstream rock festival mosh pits, where politics were secondary to the group's feral energy.

The band is vocalist Zack de la Rocha, guitarist Tom Morello, bassist Tim Commerford and drummer Brad Wilk. Their split came amid rumors of bad blood between De la Rocha and his mates, who went on to work with Chris Cornell in Audioslave. However, Morello and De la Rocha appeared together at a 2005 rally for the urban farmers of a South Los Angeles community garden.

scoop49er
01-21-2007, 01:42 PM
wow!

newalias
01-21-2007, 01:43 PM
link to this article? it seems like this could happen.

TickleMeElmo
01-21-2007, 01:44 PM
At first I thought this was a BS post... then I looked for myself...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-coachella22jan22,1,6747076.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews&ctrack=1&cset=true

Vegasoasis
01-21-2007, 01:45 PM
here's the link...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-coachella22jan22,1,6747076.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews

microcuts
01-21-2007, 01:46 PM
hmm.

vinylmartyr
01-21-2007, 01:46 PM
WHAT NO POLICE!!!! BOOOOOOOOO!!!

TickleMeElmo
01-21-2007, 01:48 PM
WHAT NO POLICE!!!! BOOOOOOOOO!!!

Actually, that's what I was thinking. I'd like to have them replace RHCP. Funny, I really thought The Police were going to be there cuz of Goldenvoice's big hint. Then again, "police" isn't blocked anymore.

devachan
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Why does the LA Times have the info? To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with this news. But yay for Bjork, I'll get to see her finally.

menikmati
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Tiesto? I hope there are some good dance headliners lined up....(as in well...I won't say)

JustSteve
01-21-2007, 01:53 PM
maybe he agreed not to report about the "officers"?

newalias
01-21-2007, 01:53 PM
i dont think "fuck tha police" and "the police" go together. :P

whynotsmile99
01-21-2007, 01:56 PM
bjork and ragE!! fuckin a!

KungFuJoe
01-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Why does the LA Times have the info? To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with this news. But yay for Bjork, I'll get to see her finally.

Ditto.

I used to dig Rage, but not so much anymore. I never seen RHCP perform and wouldn't mind checking them out, but it still does not excite me. No biggie though, I'm excited about all the smaller acts & still have hope that there will be some great Sahara Headliners.

Totally loving that Bjork will be there again.

york707
01-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Willie Nelson

Boourns
01-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm indifferent about the Police, and I didn't buy a ticket yet since I'm poor, but the whole "ROXANNE" being an intentionally misleading password is just wrong. Feel sorry for all those people who bought tickets thinking The Police were reuniting.

ourhands
01-21-2007, 01:58 PM
bjork!! that sounds good to me....

airguitarvet
YES BJORK AND RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!

MrAmeche
Crowded House is pretty surprising considering Neil Finn has said repeatedly he'd never reunite the band after Paul Hester's suicide last year.

I hope Arctic Monkeys play before RHCP, so I can skip the main stage completely that night.

vinylmartyr
i just don't understand how anyone could seriously think the police were playing.

airguitarvet
NOTICE RAGE ISNT FULL OF *************** ANYMORE!

MrAmeche
So basically the whole "Roxanne" as presale password and "Police" lockdown was just a joke/hoax? Weak sauce.

bmack86
01-21-2007, 01:59 PM
The Police could still be there. I'm not overly optimistic about their chances, but it's certainly possible. RHCP kinda disappoints me.

summerkid
01-21-2007, 01:59 PM
who cares about RHCP, but we get Bjork, RATM, Air, Arcade Fire, and Manu Chao. Wow! Fuck The Police hahaha

Mabdul Doobakus
01-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Bjork alone makes the festival for me. I don't care about the rest of the lineup. She's my favorite artist, I've never seen her, and I'll prob never get another chance.

I want to be reasonably close up, but I also don't want to get squished to death...that's my only concern.

newalias
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
indeed fuck tha police

bmack86
01-21-2007, 02:11 PM
I heard that Bjork's fans were crazy at the last coachella she played.

whynotsmile99
01-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Bjork alone makes the festival for me. I don't care about the rest of the lineup. She's my favorite artist, I've never seen her, and I'll prob never get another chance.

I want to be reasonably close up, but I also don't want to get squished to death...that's my only concern.

amen. im with you on that one. Hopefully the 2 bands before her I want to see, so I can just spend some time there.

maybe modest mouse...arcadie fire...bjork

wow that would be something

newalias
01-21-2007, 02:13 PM
amen to that order!

newalias
01-21-2007, 02:16 PM
i have a feeling Air will be a precursor to Bjork on Sunday night.

Something like Arcade Fire, Air, Bjork

devachan
01-21-2007, 02:17 PM

That would be soooo awesome.

whynotsmile99
01-21-2007, 02:21 PM
oooo!!! yah! thats what it should be for sure.

Good god that would be fantastic.

but just for shits and giggles willie nelson should play before bjork

bmack86
01-21-2007, 02:22 PM
air then bjork would be mind melting

HowToDisappear
01-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Love Crowded House. I'd be really happy if they were actually playing.

Tylerdurden31
01-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I refuse to believe anything til I see it.

itsalltoomuch
01-21-2007, 02:33 PM
OMG!!!! this is amazing!!! i am so excited about this year!!

ttboy80
01-21-2007, 02:39 PM
bjork bjork bjork!!!!!!!!!

woogie846
01-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I am so excited for RATM and about to poo my pants for Bjork!! RHCP, well, I've never skipped a headliner for a smaller band, so this will be an adventure for me.

woogie846
01-21-2007, 02:55 PM
I am so excited for RATM and Bjork.

RHCP, well, I've never skipped a headliner for a smaller band, so this will be an experience.

rgaker
01-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Willie Nelson

yea, whats with that?

woogie846
01-21-2007, 02:56 PM
testing

wmgaretjax
01-21-2007, 02:59 PM
already on digg:
http://digg.com/music/LA_Times_Confirms_RAGE_AGAINST_THE_MACHINE_reunion _for_Coacehlla#c4855117

york707
01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I feel like the LATimes reporter might be confused and included him since he's playing at the Stagecoach Festival the next weekend... but maybe he is playing at Coachella. If so, you better fucking believe I'll be up front and center. I could see him playing a late afternoon slot in the Gobi tent.

CuervoPH
01-21-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm indifferent about the Police, and I didn't buy a ticket yet since I'm poor, but the whole "ROXANNE" being an intentionally misleading password is just wrong. Feel sorry for all those people who bought tickets thinking The Police were reuniting.

These are my thoughts exactly if this turns out to be the case. It's one thing to throw out information that could be misleading to keep the line-up somewhat secret. However, if an organization sets up a Community to thank their fans and give a little something back to the people that have supported them, and then turns around and offers a pre-sale to that Community (and not the general public) with information that could mislead those fans into buying three-day passes thinking they're getting something they're not, that is as you put it, wrong.

That being said, I'll believe the line-up when it's released by Goldenvoice and not just when it's reported in the LA Times.

arlyn
01-21-2007, 03:15 PM
i heard a rumor a couple weeks ago that he was playing both fests, search the old boards. i doubt it's a mistake. I mean, if we're hoping the latimes made a mistake, let's hope it's that they forgot Portishead, Bowie, and SP. But I have a feeling no mistake was made.

AEversW
01-21-2007, 03:17 PM

if that happens looks like ill be camping out at the main stage that day.

Omar1
01-21-2007, 03:18 PM
manu chao and willie nelson!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could already smell the weed in the air.

Yablonowitz
01-21-2007, 03:18 PM
These are my thoughts exactly if this turns out to be the case. It's one thing to throw out information that could be misleading to keep the line-up somewhat secret. However, if an organization sets up a Community to thank their fans and give a little something back to the people that have supported them, and then turns around and offers a pre-sale to that Community (and not the general public) with information that could mislead those fans into buying three-day passes thinking they're getting something they're not, that is as you put it, wrong.

That being said, I'll believe the line-up when it's released by Goldenvoice and not just when it's reported in the LA Times.

Word.

york707
01-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Arcade Fire, Air, Bjork

I hate to say it, but the order would probably be Air, Arcade Fire, Bjork.

And Air and the Arcade Fire are both in my Top 3 Coachella performances ever, so that's not a dig to Air.

RODGERRAMJET
01-21-2007, 03:29 PM
WHAT A HELLUVA DISAPPOINTMENT. God bless Willie Nelson, but I'm not really into seeing him perform. Rage Against the Machine? They're so past-tense it isn't funny. Bjork? Lose 100 pounds, honey, and reunite The Sugarcubes. THAT would be a show to see. I'm so bummed. No Police? No R.E.M.? No Tin Machine/David Bowie? I'm so, so, bummed. I've attended Coachella pretty much every year since its inception. This may be the year I cancel my motel 6 reservation and call it a day. Majorly disappointed in these, so-called, headliners. Majorly disappointed. I guess Golden Voice figures the name, "Coachella" will sell itself. Perhaps they're right. But not for me. The rumored $250.00 price for three days (plus service charges) will buy me a helluva lot of used CDs which I can enjoy over and over and over again. Coachella: R.I.P.

matsuolost
01-21-2007, 03:30 PM
shut up loser

boyalien0
01-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Bjork is a billion times better than the Sugarcubes. See you next year.

york707
01-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Have fun twiddling your prick by yourself then. No loss to us.

Omar1
01-21-2007, 03:32 PM
shut up loser...

summerkid
01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Rage is past tense but R.E.M. isn't?

hammerandasickle
01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
well I'm sure the LA times messed up on that Willie Nelson thing...he is playing Stagecoach after all.

arlyn
01-21-2007, 03:35 PM
bjork is hot

NoneForMeThanks
01-21-2007, 03:35 PM
And Air and the Arcade Fire are both in my Top 3 Coachella performances ever, so that's not a dig to Air.

That Arcade Fire set is in my top five performances EVER. One of the best parts was turning around towards the end of the set and seeing how HUGE the crowd was.

arlyn
01-21-2007, 03:37 PM
well I'm sure the LA times messed up on that Willie Nelson thing...he is playing Stagecoach after all.

explain to me why he isn't playing both? explain to me why they didn't get a deal by having him do two festivals at once. Explain to me how this information didn't leak weeks ago. explain to me why you don't read threads before you post.

summerkid
01-21-2007, 03:44 PM
who was the guy that told us RATM, RHCP, Bjork, Arcade Fire, Willie Nelson, Interpol. That guy should get a medal.

york707
01-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Hmmm.... how did vinyl know that... he doesn't get a medal.

boyalien0
01-21-2007, 03:48 PM
you're hoping for the police surprise and for no surprise? that must be difficult.

Kiefer
01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
you guys have to realize, the people who are coming just to see bjork will be there to open the gate, and sit there baking in the sun all day just for that hour and a half of bjork-y goodness. waiting two bands before will get you nowhere. i used to care about that, not so much anymore. i'm down for just chilling out in the back, laying on the grass and hearing the beautiful music.

tessalasset
01-21-2007, 03:55 PM
so fucking awesome

idrive1life
01-21-2007, 03:56 PM
talk about Coachella being an inventive music festival ... what's up with those repeats?

idrive1life
01-21-2007, 03:56 PM
i'm still awesomely excited though

codytwo
01-21-2007, 04:06 PM
i'm very very angry!

G3KG3K
01-21-2007, 04:11 PM
The big news for a lot of Coachella fans will be the smaller-stage acts - none of the big media outlets are going to report on them.

Remember the confirmations we got before this? (!!!, Fountains of Wayne, Digitalism, VNV Nation)

I'm more excited about any of those than the headliners - that's what Coachella's really about, and that's why I'm reserving judgment until Goldenvoice lets it all out.

jamesc2929
01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
If these are the highlights, then I quess itis pretty much assured that I will be spending that weekend in Vegas, And I'll just wait out Bonnaroo. I'm sure they will add Modest Moouse, and others, but come on!! Willie Fucking Nelson? Rage Against the Machine? Bjork? These are the highlights for Coachella? What about acts like The Pixies, Kraftwork, Bauhaus, New Order, A major letdown. Oh well!!! Off to Vegas.

boyalien0
01-21-2007, 04:19 PM
umm...yeah, they've all played coachella in the past. they were great. sorry you missed them.

jamesc2929
01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
umm...yeah, they've all played coachella in the past. they were great. sorry you missed them.

I quess you missed the part where I was making a statement that in the past we got to enjoy these bands, and now we get RATM. Bjork, and the like. But have fun...see you next year. Oh kind sir, am I allowed back if I miss a year? Or am i forever kicked out of the Coachella fan club!!! Maybe I'll just go to the Country Coachella, oh wait maybe Goldenvoice will add Kenny Chesney and Sara Evans.

boyalien0
01-21-2007, 04:42 PM
in the past we got to enjoy these bands, and now we get RATM. Bjork, and the like

In the past, we also got to enjoy RATM, Bjork, and the like.

josephv909
01-21-2007, 04:42 PM
cool. differant strokes for differant folks. one less person in the beer line.

microcuts
01-21-2007, 04:43 PM

So has Rage.. and Bjork, and The Chili Peppers.. and the Arcade Fire.. and sheesh, is there anything new this year?

instinct
01-21-2007, 04:49 PM
i also remember someone saying before that they knew that Willie Nelson had got a hotel room the week before stagecoach.. I'd be down to see him, he is a legend.

Michelle
01-21-2007, 04:57 PM
oh my god. i was totally dreaming when i even thought rage could possibly be there. if this is true i will just flip! that is the best news!

and i really, really hope arcade fire is true as well. i love them.

nahuatldream
01-21-2007, 05:07 PM
How DARE GV not book my favorite band. What the hell are they thinking? Next time, I wish they'd consult me before booking all these whack bands and then forcing me to buy tickets to go see them, against my will. I just simply don't understand how GV can have the audacity to go out and book bands that I don't like and then turn around and completely ignore all the bands i like. It's a sad day when GV caters to the tastes and likes of anyone but me. Screw them </sarcasm>

tessalasset
01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
talk about Coachella being an inventive music festival ... what's up with those repeats?dude...do you think it's easy to book a fest like this? i bet every band who COULD headline who hasn't yet has at least been asked. gv can't FORCE bands to play. of course there are going to be some repeats - they can't exactly invent new headliners. if you want inventive - just look further down the lineup. coachella has consistently booked acts in the bottom rungs of the lineup who have gone on to achieve mainstream success. And I mean...it's gotta be even harder now with how widespread the internet is. People can hear of a band and fall in love with them and fall out of love with them before the festival even comes around. I think they're trying really hard to give us a fest that everyone will like. I am personally psyched for Rage and Bjork, as I have seen neither. And bballaral just sent me the Girl Talk album and in the first five minutes of listening to it, I could not WAIT to see him at Coachella (assuming he plays...still not confirmed). Seriously listen to the Girl Talk album if you haven't already. It is the aural equivalent of the daft punk show last year.

boyalien0
01-21-2007, 05:18 PM
god, girl talk better be there. and he better let people dance on stage. and i better be one of those people. dammit.

menikmati
01-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I disagree about Girl Talk....I can't stand the album....it's just mash up, not very innovative imo

tessalasset
01-21-2007, 05:27 PM
i didn't say it was innovative. if you were referring to my daft punk comment, i meant its SO much fun and it kept getting better and better and more unexpected as it went along.

boyalien0
01-21-2007, 05:27 PM
well, yeah, he's not necessarily the definition of "innovative," but the album sure is fun!

DJ Gary-O
01-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Given that the password for advance ticket sales was ROXANNE, it would be a damn shame if The Police weren't on the bill. I sincerely hope Goldenvoice didn't just use the hype about a potential Police reunion tour to generate increased pre-sales. I've had nothing but admiration for GV since my first Coachella in 2001, but that admiration will go right out the window if they don't delivery the goods.

kreutz2112
01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
What if GV got the LA times to go along with their fooling...What if this is all fake and tomorrow we get an entire different story?

tessalasset
01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
uh oh. i think someone needs to listen to some girl talk.

DJ Gary-O
01-21-2007, 05:38 PM
What if GV got the LA times to go along with their fooling...What if this is all fake and tomorrow we get an entire different story?

That would be good and bad. I think the LA Times is a credible news outlet and I'd be shocked if they were part of any hoodwinking, even for something as benign as a concert listing.

york707
01-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the board Gary. I hope you've some of the threads already.

Also, I think leaking the lineup to the LA Times sans the Police could easily have been done to throw people off the scent. But then again, maybe not. I said this somewhere in the Lounge a while earlier. Just because they didn't report the police doesn't mean they're "in" on anything. It's not like they have access to the lineup. they see whatever GV lets them.

DJ Gary-O
01-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the board Gary. I hope you've some of the threads already.

Also, I think leaking the lineup to the LA Times sans the Police could easily have been done to throw people off the scent. But then again, maybe not. I said this somewhere in the Lounge a while earlier. Just because they didn't report the police doesn't mean they're "in" on anything. It's not like they have access to the lineup. they see whatever GV lets them.

Thanks for the welcome - happy to be yapping. First time i've bothered (in the 6 years I've been attending this gig). Yes, I've seen some of the threads, but there's too much garbage to keep up with so I'll focus on highly relevant board fodder.

Keeping my fingers crossed that The Police are on the bill.

eudaemonia
01-21-2007, 05:56 PM
hehe... anything combining Los Angeles and something remotely connected with police is bad. as far as i'm concerned L.A. Times just listed the lineups they thought were worthwhile or "cool" to mention. i still expect The Police will be on the bill (though I don't care either way, really; I wanna see the Kaiser Chiefs).

It kinda makes sense why Kevin & Bean are going to announce the lineup tomorrow though, with one of 'em being responsible for RATM's breakup and all. ;)

fatbastard
01-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Willie played with Ryan Adams this year. Willie is cool old dude.

Alchemy
01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
So Rage Against The Machine is going to come out and stand naked, Red Hot Chili Peppers is going to play naked, Bjork probably should be naked (because she isn't fat)... I will attend this festival naked.

microcuts
01-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Bjork is naked in one of her videos, actually. Cocoon, I think.

Alchemy
01-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Wow, there is a steady linking between all 3 headliners then. Rock and roll!

NoneForMeThanks
01-21-2007, 06:31 PM
If these are the highlights, then I quess itis pretty much assured that I will be spending that weekend in Vegas,

These are the headliners, not necessarily the highlights. The highlights always turn out to be the non-headliners, I think. Actually, the biggest two highlights for me were on the Outdoor Stage - Arcade Fire and Basement Jaxx.

And bballaral just sent me the Girl Talk album and in the first five minutes of listening to it, I could not WAIT to see him at Coachella (assuming he plays...still not confirmed). Seriously listen to the Girl Talk album if you haven't already. It is the aural equivalent of the daft punk show last year.

I'm crossing my fingers for this one!!! That "Night Ripper" album kills me!

shakermaker113
01-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Tickets go on sale Saturday, via Ticketmaster. Three-day passes will cost about $250 and there will be a limited number of single-day passes available.

wtf? I just checked ticketmaster and there is no indication of tickets going on sale any time soon. I think this article just lost the credibility it almost had.

microcuts
01-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Ticketmaster can wait as long as they want to post the listing. It could go up Saturday morning if they want. That means nothing.

ProEdge
01-21-2007, 06:42 PM
No way. It's a miracle.

Alchemy
01-21-2007, 06:43 PM
With Ticket Master it will probably be like 300$ a ticket. Ouch.

shakermaker113
01-21-2007, 06:51 PM
With Ticket Master it will probably be like 300$ a ticket. Ouch.

one of my favorite simpsons quotes:

Burns: And to think, Smithers: you laughed when I bought ticketmaster. "Nobody's going to pay a 100% service charge."
Smithers: Well, it's a policy that ensures a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant, sir.

ficklecycle
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
WOwowoowowowowoow 3 day pass here i come

microcuts
01-21-2007, 06:54 PM
The LA Times has leaked out lineup information every year now and they've always been trustworthy lol. Why would this year be any different.

CCRGMac
01-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Maybe they're going to do the whole thing without Ticketmaster. It would be highly admirable if they did.

Bonnaroo manages that every year.

desphrs
01-21-2007, 06:59 PM
...Sources say Rage, which played the main stage at the first Coachella in 1999, will be joined by other familiar faces for the eighth edition of the festival, which covers three days this year and begins April 27: Red Hot Chili Peppers, which headlined in 2003, are back, as is Björk, who topped the bill in 2002.

Organizers were mum this weekend and it was not clear which day Rage or the other acts were slotted to play; that announcement is expected in the next few days. Other acts expected in the eclectic lineup: Arcade Fire, Interpol, Willie Nelson, the Roots, Manu Chao, the Decemberists, Arctic Monkeys, Sonic Youth, Crowded House, Air, Tiësto and Kings of Leon. ...

"Sources" does not necessarily equal "organizers."

I'll believe this reported lineup when I see it from GV.

joppy-slow
01-21-2007, 07:19 PM
God.. let's hope that they are wrong.. and sources can always be wrong.. Newspapers have very credible sources though, that is what scares me..

Boourns
01-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Maybe they're going to do the whole thing without Ticketmaster. It would be highly admirable if they did.

Bonnaroo manages that every year.

SHOLD do the whole thing without ticketmaster, but inexplicably won't. LATimes already says tickets will go on sale via TM on Saturday, and ticketmaster already knows the new color scheme for the poster.