PDA

View Full Version : Coachella turns 10, amid the usual rumors, grumbling

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-10-2009, 05:03 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/coachella-mccartney-tollett-2360146-year-know

Thursday, April 9, 2009
Coachella turns 10, amid the usual rumors, grumbling
Festival organizers defend their choices and stave off speculation.
By BEN WENER
The Orange County Register
Comments 0 | Recommend 3

SLIDE SHOW: The greatest Coachella performances of the first 10 years

SLIDE SHOW: A look at some acts that will be at Coachella 2009 and a few who won't

Every year it's the same thing.

Speculation starts well before Christmas, and soon Paul Tollett and his team at concert promoter Goldenvoice must fend off loopy rumors months ahead of revealing the lineup for the world-renowned Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, which next weekend will take over the Empire Polo Field in Indio for the 10th time.

Will Radiohead return? (No.)

Will Pearl Jam play this time? (Nope.)

Maybe Bowie? (No again.)

As seems to happen annually, there was once again plenty of Internet buzz among people who claim to know everything (yet actually know nothing) that Tollett had pulled off the impossible for the fest's milestone anniversary: a Smiths reunion. That didn't come to pass either, though he has brought back Morrissey for the first time since the inaugural Coachella in October 1999.

Even after the 2009 promo poster was unveiled, with Paul McCartney, the Killers and the Cure topping the bill, typically hard-to-please Coachellans still insisted there had to be a surprise superstar in the works, la Prince last year.

Might Bruce Springsteen bolster Saturday's fare, given a gaping hole in his itinerary? After all, as some observers' negative logic goes, the Killers can't possibly be a Saturday headliner.

That's nonsense. The Killers in '09 are no different than Coldplay in '05: a multiplatinum act three albums into its career that can (and will) sell out arenas on its own tour. If anything, Brandon Flowers and his band of Las Vegans are the ultimate Coachella success story.

"They played the tent in the Radiohead year," Tollett recalls of their debut in 2004. "We had done a lot with them in Vegas – they used to be the band you called if someone dropped out. Literally they were the last in on that show – they confirmed as we were going to print, and they were listed on the last line of the poster."

For the Killers to rise to headliner five years later is a feat like no other in Coachella's history. Yet that hasn't been enough to quell complainers, whose kvetching only grew louder when troubled Britsoul star Amy Winehouse predictably withdrew from the Saturday bill and was replaced by a less outrageous star, "Paper Planes" performer M.I.A.

Surely something else would have to be added to make the day worthwhile, they argue. Perhaps No Doubt? U2? Even Spinal Tap has been mentioned, with all seriousness, in Coachella message forums.

"They must be hurting," contend the naysayers. "Look at all those TV ads!"

Indeed, never before has Coachella boasted such an extensive advertising campaign, with spots airing regularly during late-night programming on all major networks.

All of which has fueled the ugliest rumor this year – that despite (or perhaps because of) McCartney's involvement, not to mention the perceived weakness of the Killers and the repetition of the Cure, this is winding up the worst-selling Coachella ever.

"Not at all," Tollett counters. "By far not. In relation to years past at this point, it's the third biggest-selling Coachella we've had. You can't buy single-day tickets for Friday night (McCartney's night) – they're sold out."

He figures "the whole thing would've blown out in the first week or so" if it weren't for the downturn in the economy. Even amid such financial strain, Coachella's country cousin Stagecoach – featuring Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Reba McEntire and Kid Rock the following weekend, April 25-26 – is on track to sell out in advance.

"(Stagecoach) really came around faster than Coachella in terms of capturing the minds of the crowd," Tollett explains. "In three years it's already an entity with nationwide appeal. It took Coachella until the Cure/Radiohead year (its fifth) for that to happen."

The difference, he says, is that Stagecoach attendees "aren't so particular about every last act. For them, it more or less boils down to the headliners and a few other artists. With the Coachella crowd, you can have 27 bands that are great, and they're bummed that 28, 29 and 30 aren't there."

IN DEFENSE OF SIR PAUL

Tollett is used to such nitpicking now. "We've gotten to the point where we build a show that we like – and obviously you hope it sells well, because you gotta pay the bills. But we judge the shows after the fact."

As opposed to what much of the indie elite has done: dismissed this Coachella based on the inclusion of a wrongly maligned legend.

Despite enlisting chief Foo Fighter Dave Grohl to drum (rumor has it Ringo also will show up for a few songs), Sir Paul's indefatigable good cheer can't seem to get respect from hipsters who think cranky dreamer Lennon was the only worthwhile Beatle. Apparently the stains left by "Ebony and Ivory" and "Say, Say, Say" have blotted out the raucousness of "Helter Skelter" or "Back in the U.S.S.R.," or the delicate pensiveness of "For No One" and "Eleanor Rigby."

Or, for that matter, the estimable and experimental work McCartney has created this decade alone, from moody excursions like 2005's Grammy-nominated "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" (recorded with fave Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich) to his most recent effort, "Electric Arguments," his second collaboration with former Killing Joke bassist Martin Glover (aka Youth), issued under the pseudonym the Fireman.

Not only is McCartney's influence on Coachella artistry deep and pervasive, but he has remained a vital and creatively restless forebear.

I asked Tollett if he knew booking McCartney was a risk. "Well, every band's a risk," he said. "The question is: Do they take it seriously? I know McCartney is. I've seen his set lists from across the world – from Kiev and Montreal and Liverpool – and they're just incredible. If we can get any facsimile of that, we will be in for a great experience."

He notes that, more than ever before, both headliners and undercard acts will be arriving with full-blown productions. "I know for sure that there will be moments this year that will be remembered for years to come," he boasts, "the way people remember Daft Punk (in 2006) or Arcade Fire (in 2005). There are all types of good Coachella lineups. But Leonard Cohen, Morrissey and Paul McCartney all in the same day? That's some serious songwriting.

"Imagine all those people out on that field singing along to (McCartney's) songs. You know, some people doubted the idea of Roger Waters at Coachella – and that turned out to be one of the greatest highlights we've ever had."

Contact the writer: 714-796-2248 or bwener@ocregister.com

Well if we didn't know that Dave Grohl was going to drum before we know now...

emtgreg
04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Hahah I just read and quoted parts of that to Boourns...

kimmaylynn
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
YAY

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-10-2009, 05:11 PM
AGAIN, he mentioned Macca, Cohen and Morrissey in the same sentence...let's hope he keeps them all on the main stage...

DFrank
04-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Is that out of Paul T's mouth or is that just the writer? If it's happening then great!

Aurgasm
04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
this writer sucks

F00FIGHTER20
04-10-2009, 05:32 PM
So Dave Grohl is definitely playing the drums?

menikmati
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM
That doesn't sound for sure that Grohl is playing.

Boourns
04-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Apparently 3-5,000 seat theaters, many of which that had tickets a few weeks ago, equals sold out arena tour.

I can't believe the Dave Grohl rumor. It would be awesome, but wouldn't that be insulting to Macca's usual drummer. "Oh hai, you've been drumming for me for years, but stay home for Coachella because I found someone more famous, thx!"

shakermaker113
04-10-2009, 05:59 PM
it says he recruited dave grohl to drum. and he did. at the grammys.

it doesn't say that dave grohl will drum for him at coachella. and I will bet money that he won't.

Bubba hotep
04-10-2009, 06:02 PM
it says he recruited dave grohl to drum. and he did. at the grammys.

it doesn't say that dave grohl will drum for him at coachella. and I will bet money that he won't.

I don't know, this reads like he will be there. Adding the Ringo Starr rumor on to it in one sentence and all.

Boourns
04-10-2009, 06:10 PM
At this point, forget the adds, just give me a full McCartney set and no conflicts between Macca-Moz-Cohen. Already have my ticket, anyway.

obzen
04-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Ticket-not tickets?

Boourns
04-10-2009, 06:24 PM
3 day pass, whatever.

seandlr
04-10-2009, 06:38 PM
I can't believe the Dave Grohl rumor. It would be awesome, but wouldn't that be insulting to Macca's usual drummer. "Oh hai, you've been drumming for me for years, but stay home for Coachella because I found someone more famous, thx!"

exactly

summerkid
04-10-2009, 06:43 PM
wow. so third best selling coachella? so 2007 obviously being the best, then 2004? so its going to be more crowded than 2006? that's unexpected.

seandlr
04-10-2009, 06:52 PM
2006 wasnt a big seller?^

Boourns
04-10-2009, 06:54 PM
2006 sold out, but the capacity had been increased to 60k (was 50k in 2004).

summerkid
04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
2006 sold out, but the capacity had been increased to 60k (was 50k in 2004).

ah, that makes sense bc 2006 was my first year.

seandlr
04-10-2009, 07:06 PM
yeah, i thought 2006 sold out too, so it would be 2007-> 2006-> 2009 or
2007 -> 2004 -> 2009?
according to the article

obzen
04-10-2009, 07:21 PM
2007-> 2006-> 2009
this one.

Corporate Cannibal
04-10-2009, 07:43 PM
i smell a fib... nobody's gonna say: "the rumors are true, folks! nobody's coming."

psycobetabuckdown
04-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Spinal Tap? I don't remember anyone mentioning them seriously. I think I started a JOKE thread about them... :/

CitizenJ
04-10-2009, 08:14 PM
wow, that reads to me like Grohl is a go for Coachella. They dont mention the grammys in that paragraph, they are JUST talking about Coachella. thats awesome...

is there an outside chance we see the Foo Fighters on Saturday?

mfnalaska
04-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Something about his tone made me really sad.

You know, it seems like he is putting way too much stock in the relentless mudslinging of the board regulars. It's easy for him-- and for this writer-- to sense some dissent if one of their major sources of criticism is the 100 or so board regulars who talk every detail to death. But I think that these organizers and journalists are reading a major undercurrent of unhappiness about the lineup and taking it seriously without taking into account the many thousands of people who are incredibly excited and happy, and who are so satisfied that they don't feel the need to join the speculation.

I am another one of those people who read the boards for many years before I ever chimed in alongside those of you who dissect every rumor. To be fair, I know that this board is so rabid because we are all incredibly excited about Coachella, and thinking and talking about it constantly is the closest we can get to the fields 362 days out of the year. I get this sense that Tollett may think that his loudest critics don't think the festival is good enough, and that we all think we are entitled to more. But after reading you guys for so long, I think that it's all just genuine excitement and anticipation for what we know will be crazy and amazing no matter what.

This board can capture a lot of the spirit of the festival, but it's pretty often heavy on what sucks. I hope the organizers are aware, though, of the parts we can't quantify here, which is all the joy of Coachella that there kind of aren't words or funny pictures enough to describe.

I'll just say thank you, Coachella, for ten weekends out of ten years that have been some of the best times of my life.

danteb
04-10-2009, 08:30 PM
wow. so third best selling coachella? so 2007 obviously being the best, then 2004? so its going to be more crowded than 2006? that's unexpected.

im sure it's only selling more cause it's three days, probly the worst of the three years they've made it a three day deal, he's just saying that cause he's a promoter and that's what he's supposed to do. i could be wrong though but this is what im guessing.

I'm excited at the supposed sets with bigger production. that sounds sick!

seandlr
04-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow, that was intense/ nice

danteb
04-10-2009, 08:33 PM

You know, it seems like he is putting way too much stock in the relentless mudslinging of the board regulars. It's easy for him-- and for this writer-- to sense some dissent if one of their major sources of criticism is the 100 or so board regulars who talk every detail to death. But I think that these organizers and journalists are reading a major undercurrent of unhappiness about the lineup and taking it seriously without taking into account the many thousands of people who are incredibly excited and happy, and who are so satisfied that they don't feel the need to join the speculation.

I am another one of those people who read the boards for many years before I ever chimed in alongside those of you who dissect every rumor. To be fair, I know that this board is so rabid because we are all incredibly excited about Coachella, and thinking and talking about it constantly is the closest we can get to the fields 362 days out of the year. I get this sense that Tollett may think that his loudest critics don't think the festival is good enough, and that we all think we are entitled to more. But after reading you guys for so long, I think that it's all just genuine excitement and anticipation for what we know will be crazy and amazing no matter what.

This board can capture a lot of the spirit of the festival, but it's pretty often heavy on what sucks. I hope the organizers are aware, though, of the parts we can't quantify here, which is all the joy of Coachella that there kind of aren't words or funny pictures enough to describe.

I'll just say thank you, Coachella, for ten weekends out of ten years that have been some of the best times of my life.

seriously. the only reason people post on here in the first place is because they love the fest. they love it sooo much they just want it to be the best it can be.

psycobetabuckdown
04-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah. I want to know where the fuck is this supposed hatred for Paul McCartney? Are the hipsters down south in that shithole city complaining or something? There are very few on the board complaining.

Also, the writer is abundantly clear that when he speaks of Dave Grohl he means AT Coachella. This is not ambiguous. Whether or not the writer has his facts straight is another story, but he definitely isn't talking about the Grammy's.

Boourns
04-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah. I want to know where the fuck is this supposed hatred for Paul McCartney? Are the hipsters down south in that shithole city complaining or something? There are very few on the board complaining.

Also, the writer is abundantly clear that when he speaks of Dave Grohl he means AT Coachella. This is not ambiguous. Whether or not the writer has his facts straight is another story, but he definitely isn't talking about the Grammy's.

Seriously. I am fucking ecstatic about seeing McCartney.

psycobetabuckdown
04-10-2009, 10:48 PM
It's not just this article either. Amoeblog said the same thing.

obzen
04-10-2009, 10:51 PM

says the tiger w/down syndrome

mfnalaska
04-10-2009, 10:55 PM
ha

hahahahaha

Vic Viper
04-12-2009, 01:48 AM
Anyone disappointed in the opportunity to see a fucking Beatle perform his craft live is a complete and utter waste of carbon and other trace elements.

Boourns
04-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Anyone disappointed in the opportunity to see a fucking Beatle perform his craft live is a complete and utter waste of carbon and other trace elements.

Seriously. I cannot wait to hear some of the greatest songs of all-time in the beauty of the polo fields. McCartney is worth a 3 day pass alone.

woogie846
04-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I can't wait to hear 60,000 people singing 'Hey Jude.' That's going to be haunting.

clumsy342
04-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Ringrohl!

SnowShoe
04-13-2009, 08:27 AM
It's not just this article either.

Grohl is confirmed for the McCartney set. So is Ringo.

And the author of the OC Register article, Ben Wener, is a big fan of Coachella and a solid columnist. You people are off base by saying he is a hack.

Boourns
04-13-2009, 08:40 AM
I can't wait to hear 60,000 people singing 'Hey Jude.' That's going to be haunting.

Serious. My jaw is going to be lost on the polo fields (and then trampled or stolen) if he does "A Day in the Life" or "Eleanor Rigby."

Dogvolta
04-13-2009, 08:43 AM

QFT.

Boourns
04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/piecharts.jpg

obzen
04-13-2009, 08:50 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/piecharts.jpg
i like this...

heyeric
04-13-2009, 08:52 AM
We should all sing happy birthday then, granted aol time warner doesn't sue goldenvoice for a giant sing along of there song.

Boourns
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Has anyone else noticed how much better Coachella's lineup is than the other fests this year? Bonnaroo and Sasquatch and APW are all good, and obviously Glastonbury, but yeah. You know what I mean.

BenWener
04-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Just wanted to weigh in and alert everyone in this thread that I've posted something of a correction ... honestly, I can't tell if this is confirmed or not, if it's a surprise or just wishful thinking. But I acted on an assumption of what I had heard/read at the time of the Grammys -- that Grohl would be filling in for Macca's very solid regular drummer, Abe Laboriel Jr., as he would be on tour with someone else (Clapton, perhaps?).

In any case, just to set the record straight, I have nothing on absolute authority about Grohl's involvement, and his publicist isn't saying much. That doesn't mean Grohl WON'T be there, or that Ringo (widely rumored since the NYC show on April 4) won't be either.

But my reporting on this is regrettably sloppy. I've added a post to my blog, Soundcheck (http://ocregister.com/soundcheck), about Joss Stone being added to Saturday's lineup and discussing this Grohl thing. I've also tacked on a correction to my original story.

My apologies if I got anyone in a tizzy over this.

bartelby
04-13-2009, 10:36 AM
solid move Wener

HandBanana
04-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Has anyone else noticed how much better Coachella's lineup is than the other fests this year? Bonnaroo and Sasquatch and APW are all good, and obviously Glastonbury, but yeah. You know what I mean.

Yeah.......wait wut?

bobert
04-13-2009, 10:50 AM
And the author of the OC Register article, Ben Wener, is a big fan of Coachella and a solid columnist. You people are off base by saying he is a hack.

What a solid retraction that guy just wrote - way above the call of duty.

Alchemy
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Just because somebody called Macca a weak ass puto doesn't mean we all feel that.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Just because somebody called Macca a weak ass puto doesn't mean we all feel that.

for the record..I think the person who said it is a weak ass puto.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Just wanted to weigh in and alert everyone in this thread that I've posted something of a correction ... honestly, I can't tell if this is confirmed or not, if it's a surprise or just wishful thinking. But I acted on an assumption of what I had heard/read at the time of the Grammys -- that Grohl would be filling in for Macca's very solid regular drummer, Abe Laboriel Jr., as he would be on tour with someone else (Clapton, perhaps?).

In any case, just to set the record straight, I have nothing on absolute authority about Grohl's involvement, and his publicist isn't saying much. That doesn't mean Grohl WON'T be there, or that Ringo (widely rumored since the NYC show on April 4) won't be either.

But my reporting on this is regrettably sloppy. I've added a post to my blog, Soundcheck (http://ocregister.com/soundcheck), about Joss Stone being added to Saturday's lineup and discussing this Grohl thing. I've also tacked on a correction to my original story.

I am truly greatful, surprised and frighten that a journalist would post in our little forum....

PierogiHead
04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
I am truly greatful, surprised and frighten that a journalist would post in our little forum....

They obviously read it like gospel, if this morning's LA Times blog article is any indication.

Regulan
04-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Dave Grohl's wife is having a baby in April. Someone from the Foo Fighters message boards asked him when he was on the Greg Proops chat show if he would be at Coachella, and he said his wife would be giving birth around that time. Unless he's changed his mind, he won't be there.

mikeynla
04-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Contrary to the article (and cool retraction, by the way), I've seen WAAAYYYY less bitching this year than in years past. And lets face it - message boards tend to bring out the worse - the bitching, the moaning, the hoping... But yeah, people seem to be overall positive on the board this year, and I think that's fucking fantastic! I don't give a shit if this is going to be the best- or worst-selling Coachella. I'm just fucking excited for Coachella, god damn it! And for the first time, I won't be jumping in a car, leaving LA for the Promise Land. Instead I have to schlep my shit to, through, and from an airport, to get to the desert from across the damn country. But holy shit, if it's not worth it, I don't know what the fuck is...

BRING ON COACHELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spring break! YEOW!!!!

:thu

emtgreg
04-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Wait, is someone suggesting our words aren't in fact, gospel?

Because suggestions like that are for infidels...

You know what we do to infidels!

KungFuJay
04-14-2009, 07:15 AM
You know what we do to infidels!

The comfy chair?

obzen
04-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Yeah.......wait wut?

nooo,bring the old avatar back!!!

emtgreg
04-14-2009, 07:16 AM
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/watermark.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2006/06/mein-kampfy-chair.jpg

ivankay
04-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Much love for Ben. One of my all time favorite music journalists, a cool dude, a passionate supporter of the festival we all love so much and Date Tree alumni. Welcome officially to the boards Ben.

RedThom
04-14-2009, 07:27 AM
dental plan

ivankay
04-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Lisa needs braces.

What kind of braces? Not sure.

SnowShoe
04-14-2009, 07:38 AM
What a solid retraction that guy just wrote - way above the call of duty.

As I said, Ben gets paid to be a journalist, but he is also a fan of Coachella. It comes through in his coverage.

If I recall correctly, he stayed up all night to file his stories in time to make the newspapaer deadline, which bloggers/online writers don't need to worry about.

I also don't think he needed to correct himself on this case.

obzen
04-14-2009, 07:44 AM

good form!

appreciate and respect this-i will remember your name and look forward to your reporting next year:thu