PDA

View Full Version : Adds Coming for Saturday and Sunday

Pages : [1] 2

icarus04
04-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Yes this is my first post. I've been lurking on these boards for years, but never had anything to add until now.

I was talking to the person that my wife and I get VIP passes from each year, and this person casually mentioned that we're going to shit ourselves when the "surprises" (plural) are revealed. Yes, this person is involved in putting on the festival...they are in a position to know things, and have been right about things of this nature with Coachella and other festivals in the past.

This person specifically mentioned both Saturday and Sunday night, and indicated that Friday won't see any more changes/additions.

This person told me this yesterday, so this is current info. This person refused to reveal anything else as far as who the adds/surprises might be, other than the comment about them being "big names," and the whole "you're going to shit yourself" thing.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out who the potential artists are. Lots of possibilities out there that have been already discussed. Paul T already mentioned a "surprise" with MSTRKRFT for Saturday...I don't know if what I heard correlates with that or something bigger (i.e. Neil Young with Booker T/DBTs, some ridiculous New Beatles performance as hinted at in a thread on the main board) or whatever.

Any thoughts?

Do we finally get something better than the Killers for Saturday?

And what do we get for Sunday?

Feel free to tear me apart. I just wanted to pass along what I heard.

JebusLives
04-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Here's hoping!

heyeric
04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Hmmm...I've been MIA from the boards for a few days, but some surprise adds for Saturday & Sunday do seem very likely. Thanks for sharing!

kindablue
04-04-2009, 01:40 PM
sounds great! I really don't know if I can handle any further additions. My schedule is pretty packed already. I'm sure I'll be making more than a few sacrifices all 3 days.

I love how this post is so ambiguous and yet worded in such a way that it generates hope and hopefullness.

benhur
04-04-2009, 01:44 PM
i gotta say im more than skeptical

Bonovan
04-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Let's pray for sumthin good....

http://web.mit.edu/cat/Desktop/cat/images/pray.jpg

acarballidol
04-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I really hope so . I do like the killers but i'm starting to hate them just for the fact that they're headlining.

icarus04
04-04-2009, 01:53 PM
i gotta say im more than skeptical

I frankly don't know how the adds would fit in, but I'd certainly welcome big adds on both Saturday and Sunday.

Like I said, just passing along what I heard.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
-_-
my saturday is pretty crowded
unless this is an EDM act im probably not going to see it.

(heres hoping its bassnectar)

Stickjohn
04-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Here we go again. Interesting first post.

Here's my question: If GV has more up his sleeve why on earth would he wait to tell us? In this economy the more tickets sold the sooner the better. Sure there's contract negotiations, lots of business things to take into account, etc. but if the deal is not finalized by now to the point where it can be announced ... not going to happen.

Just accept it.

acarballidol
04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
i believe saturday is a good but weak day . it could really use some adds. the only band i was really looking forward to see was Hercules & Love affair and its off the poster now.
it sucks.

acarballidol
04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
i believe saturday is a good but weak day . it could really use some adds. the only band i was really looking forward to see was Hercules & Love affair and its off the poster now.
it sucks.

PlayaDelWes
04-04-2009, 02:01 PM
They can be waiting for U2 to first sell out the Rose Bowl.

Boourns
04-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Here's my question: If GV has more up his sleeve why on earth would he wait to tell us? In this economy the more tickets sold the sooner the better. Sure there's contract negotiations, lots of business things to take into account, etc. but if the deal is not finalized by now to the point where it can be announced ... not going to happen.

Just accept it.

Who knows. In 2004, Beck, Kool Keith, and MF Doom were added two days before, even though the day had sold out weeks before.

firstrime coach
04-04-2009, 02:03 PM
It's just too weird that Springstein playing LA on the 15th and 16 and has the whole coachella weekend off before taking off again. Im thinking we're going to see Springstein on Saturday night

firstrime coach
04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
And what the hell is up with Hercules. Are they officially out?

acarballidol
04-04-2009, 02:08 PM
yeah theyre OUT!

HandBanana
04-04-2009, 02:26 PM
this is stupid
I'm tired of getting my hopes up because peeps with no info at all say they know something but nothing

Spill details or fuck off

oasis4life2002
04-04-2009, 02:51 PM
if anybody is added wouldn't it be when they release set times?

paulb
04-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Im not expecting any adds...but someone replacing Killers would be the best idea ever.....hopefully NIN or Bboys...

karma_guy
04-04-2009, 02:52 PM
my hopes:
adele
the roots
bon iver
grizzly bear
of montreal
king khan & his shrines

but i doubt any of these would be adds

Gribbz
04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
my hopes:
adele
the roots
bon iver
grizzly bear
of montreal
king khan & his shrines

but i doubt any of these would be adds

Wow, this is the first time I've seen you post outside the tucson thread.

danteb
04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
sounds great! I really don't know if I can handle any further additions. My schedule is pretty packed already. I'm sure I'll be making more than a few sacrifices all 3 days.

SERIOUSLY

danteb
04-04-2009, 03:10 PM
It's just too weird that Springstein playing LA on the 15th and 16 and has the whole coachella weekend off before taking off again. Im thinking we're going to see Springstein on Saturday night

Sam's Town was basically a power pop rip off born in the USA.
Coincidence? I think not.
Ps. I hate the Boss

icarus04
04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
this is stupid
I'm tired of getting my hopes up because peeps with no info at all say they know something but nothing

Spill details or fuck off

HandBanana those are all the details I have. I spilt everything I was told.

Sorry to piss you off.

Gribbz
04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
HandBanana those are all the details I have. I spilt everything I was told.

Sorry to piss you off.

You need to understand there has been like 239439 lurkers that have started threads practically identical to yours.

Kid B
04-04-2009, 03:19 PM
They can be waiting for U2 to first sell out the Rose Bowl.

U2 is not and will not play Coachella this year. It's not going to happen and that's 100% confirmed by the band themselves.

Also, I saw somebody mention Bon Iver in here. That would be a nice add.

Kid B
04-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Isn't there something saying that bands can't have an arena show in Los Angeles within a certain number of months from the festival? And i'm pretty sure it was confirmed that Bonnaroo would be Springsteen's only festival appearance this year. Thank God for that.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
hmmmmm.........

icarus04
04-04-2009, 03:26 PM
You need to understand there has been like 239439 lurkers that have started threads practically identical to yours.

I know. And I also know that on a number of occasions the lurker that posted info happened to be on the money.

No worries. I look forward to another awesome Coachella.

JebusLives
04-04-2009, 03:26 PM

And almost every year, one of them is dead-on.

Coachella Bound
04-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Set times usually come out the monday before yeah?

Harrisment
04-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for passing this along, hopefully it turns out to be true.

moviebruin
04-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm actually all for this thread. I still say No Doubt will be added and if theres another "big" one then prob someone out of the white stripes, springsteen, nin, JA? who knows. lets just wait and see. And the logic that additions are bad in any way is ridiculous. the more the merrier and if you not into the group being added the group ur gonna see at the same time is prob gonna be less crowded which is also a positive.

Gribbz
04-04-2009, 03:33 PM
And almost every year, one of them is dead-on.

Awesome. 1 out of million.

obzen
04-04-2009, 03:36 PM
the thing is,this person who said you were going to 'shit yourself' must have had some vague idea of what would even bring you to this...

do you know the person you got the tickets from personally-
see,what if this persons idea of a surprise/big name is someone lame?

**NaNcY**
04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm actually all for this thread. I still say No Doubt will be added and if theres another "big" one then prob someone out of the white stripes, springsteen, nin, JA? who knows. lets just wait and see. And the logic that additions are bad in any way is ridiculous. the more the merrier and if you not into the group being added the group ur gonna see at the same time is prob gonna be less crowded which is also a positive.

NO DOUBT would be an amazing add!
i still have hope for Michael Jackson!!!!

karma_guy
04-04-2009, 03:44 PM
no doubt?
mmm id rather have the white stripes
but i doubt we'd see that since jack white's workin with that new band of his
dead weather or something..
but its such a shame hercules & Love affair canceled
:[

airguitarvet
04-04-2009, 03:49 PM
LaDY gaga will headline saturday and peaches will spill the cream on her new tracks SUNDAY!

humanoid
04-04-2009, 03:49 PM
adds or no adds, I'm gonna have a blast either way

captncrzy
04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/cartman_3_2.gif

Popcynical
04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I would shit if any of these bands got added

Tool
Incubus
David Bowie
The Mars Volta
Ratatat

Anything else is not worth my shit.

clumsy342
04-04-2009, 04:19 PM
At this rate, I'd only shit over Bowie...
Can't really think of anything else...

psychic friend
04-04-2009, 04:22 PM
we're getting a good laugh at this thread over here at the office today

clumsy342
04-04-2009, 04:26 PM
obviously, nothing else NEEDS to be added, though. especially Sunday...
Sunday scares me.

paulb
04-04-2009, 04:26 PM
:nono

rskapcat
04-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm glad PF laid the smackdown on this one. Just the mention of No Doubt *shudder* gave me the voms. Do not want.

CrimesceneCookie
04-04-2009, 04:51 PM

I hope they are laughing at the thought of the No Doubt shit sandwich playing coachella.

psycobetabuckdown
04-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I think she meant that they're laughing at the irony that every single rumor is 100% true.

Cdubby
04-04-2009, 05:02 PM

working on a saturday? no rest for the weary i see

psychic friend
04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
so many layaway tickets to be mailed

Duvel
04-04-2009, 05:08 PM
.....IMHO, there will be NO adds.

Just....too...late.

Castanets
04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Are those still being mailed via FedEx, PF?

icarus04
04-04-2009, 05:25 PM

PF first of all thanks for what you do on these boards.

To clarify, I didn't say I spoke with someone at GV. I spoke with someone who works with GV and other promoters to take care of one aspect of what goes into putting on the major festivals we all enjoy across the country.

But if you are saying no more Coachella adds, and that's official from the GV offices, then I will give the person who told me this lots of shit for getting my hopes up.

So, PF, is that what you are saying? There will be no more adds and no more "surprises?" Could you please clarify.

Like I said at the beginning, I was just passing along what I was told by a friend.

blackchango
04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
No comment or maybe too busy working or..

karma_guy
04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
mmmmmm
WHY DO YOU ALL PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS?!

:v

Boourns
04-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Most of the artwork is a surprise.

danteb
04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Most of the artwork is a surprise.

and i remember hearing somewhere (i think PF) that the art work will be amazing this year. cant wait.

clumsy342
04-04-2009, 06:02 PM
that's a given, dante.

zenidogx
04-04-2009, 06:04 PM
hmm . . . i refuse to believe anything until i hear what Scoop has to say.

Cdubby
04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
hmm . . . i refuse to believe anything until i hear what Scoop has to say.

lol

Ardentbiscuit
04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes this is my first post. I've been lurking on these boards for years, but never had anything to add until now.

I was talking to the person that my wife and I get VIP passes from each year, and this person casually mentioned that we're going to shit ourselves when the "surprises" (plural) are revealed. Yes, this person is involved in putting on the festival...they are in a position to know things, and have been right about things of this nature with Coachella and other festivals in the past.

This person specifically mentioned both Saturday and Sunday night, and indicated that Friday won't see any more changes/additions.

This person told me this yesterday, so this is current info. This person refused to reveal anything else as far as who the adds/surprises might be, other than the comment about them being "big names," and the whole "you're going to shit yourself" thing.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out who the potential artists are. Lots of possibilities out there that have been already discussed. Paul T already mentioned a "surprise" with MSTRKRFT for Saturday...I don't know if what I heard correlates with that or something bigger (i.e. Neil Young with Booker T/DBTs, some ridiculous New Beatles performance as hinted at in a thread on the main board) or whatever.

Any thoughts?

Do we finally get something better than the Killers for Saturday?

And what do we get for Sunday?

Feel free to tear me apart. I just wanted to pass along what I heard.

I find this very hard to believe.

As for people saying surprises with so and so, that could be anything.

It may not even be a special guest...

suprefan
04-04-2009, 07:40 PM

To clarify, I didn't say I spoke with someone at GV. I spoke with someone who works with GV and other promoters to take care of one aspect of what goes into putting on the major festivals we all enjoy across the country.

But if you are saying no more Coachella adds, and that's official from the GV offices, then I will give the person who told me this lots of shit for getting my hopes up.

So, PF, is that what you are saying? There will be no more adds and no more "surprises?" Could you please clarify.

Like I said at the beginning, I was just passing along what I was told by a friend.

shut up lurker, NO MORE ADDS, SET TIMES ARE BEING MADE

thats what matters

rage patton
04-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Set times in just over a week. Im stoked.

If we are lucky, we will get them Monday the 13th. But my expectations aren't too high and I am just hoping we get them by the morning of Wedneday the 15th.

Last year, they were officialy released the Tuesday before Coachella... but they leaked late Monday night. The sooner we get em the better.

captncrzy
04-04-2009, 07:43 PM

Damn, working on a caturday?

Stickjohn
04-04-2009, 07:47 PM

You mean these?
http://beanssoup.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/porta-potties1.jpg

moomoo
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I can't wait for set times...

gotta start sorting out this conflicts :nono

roberto73
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Your news makes me nervous, Icarus04, because I'm not a fan of shitting myself.

boarderwoozel3
04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
How sweet would it be to release the set times with a massive headliner at the top of Sat? Then just sit back at watch the hysteria and last minute ticket sales for that day spike.

(I know it won't happen nor do I anticipate any more adds, but just saying, it would be a cool way to do it)

In all seriousness: Proper amount of shitters > New Sat. headliner. The reverse could get really, really, really ugly.

obzen
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM
i bet there will toilet seats with shit on them and a dollar sticking out of it,like i saw last year...
:nonosome peoples kids

icarus04
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
You mean these?

lulz.

Quite a few steps up from that, fwiw.

Still-ill
04-04-2009, 09:43 PM
i bet there will toilet seats with shit on them and a dollar sticking out of it,like i saw last year...
:nonosome peoples kids

:lool

weeklymix
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
i bet they were two totally separate incidents.

1) someone was most definitely wasted and missed the hole.

2) some hilarious fellow walked in and thought "good show, a dollar for your troubles."

sleepybrew
04-04-2009, 10:13 PM
please no more adds. coachella 09 is already gonna be conflict hell, especially sunday night. and even with h&la dropping out sat, so many good things to see. on the other hand, i just got my tickets in the mail today and almost cried from the excitement. cant wait for the art instalations too.

moomoo
04-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm afraid to even see the Sunday set times :(

seandlr
04-04-2009, 10:47 PM
the sunday set times are gonna be a cluster fuck!

seandlr
04-04-2009, 10:48 PM
How sweet would it be to release the set times with a massive headliner at the top of Sat? Then just sit back at watch the hysteria and last minute ticket sales for that day spike.

oh man! that really would be great. imagine!

sleepybrew
04-05-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm afraid to even see the Sunday set times :(

agreed

Winterwooskiee
04-05-2009, 02:02 AM
might be coincidence but, is one of the additions Bob Dylan? Is icarus04 giving us a hint by having him as an avatar? if that's true, that would be pretty damn cool and worthy of shitting our pants.

icarus04
04-05-2009, 02:15 AM
might be coincidence but, is one of the additions Bob Dylan? Is icarus04 giving us a hint by having him as an avatar? if that's true, that would be pretty damn cool and worthy of shitting our pants.

Like I said at the top, I have absolutely no idea as to who any potential adds might be. Dylan is my avatar because I love Dylan. Though I've seen him a couple dozen times, I'm not sure that I would want to see him at Coachella.

All I was told was that there would be big additions/surprises for Saturday and Sunday.

PF still hasn't specifically denied this.

If it turns out that there won't be any more adds, then the person I spoke with was wrong or just fucking with me.

Like I said, I was just passing along what I heard.

pocket
04-05-2009, 03:34 AM
i hear the big addition is an extra "spicy pie" booth....

djfk1
04-05-2009, 05:30 AM
Of Montreal Is OUT. They have a couple shows in Boston that weekend.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Some dude I know told me you should all go fuck yourselves.

There. Now go start three threads about it.

Stickjohn
04-05-2009, 06:03 AM
All I was told was that there would be big additions/surprises for Saturday and Sunday.

PF still hasn't specifically denied this.

BOO! Don't even try to point to psychic friend, as if she has time to weigh in on every bit of gossip on these boards.

You're getting the attention you wanted, this is your moment - just enjoy it.

obzen
04-05-2009, 06:28 AM
i bet they were two totally separate incidents.

1) someone was most definitely wasted and missed the hole.

2) some hilarious fellow walked in and thought "good show, a dollar for your troubles."
maybe it was two seperate incidents-but both were totally deliberate

oasis4life2002
04-05-2009, 06:32 AM
adds or no adds it's gonna be a blast regardless. I just hope it's not a 110 degrees each day.

chiapet
04-05-2009, 06:54 AM

I'm not sure that would be sweet, as I already go into hysteria when the set times are released. And my work had the NERVE to schedule me in meetings all day Tuesday of next week, so I wouldn't even be able to spend the whole day examining the set times.

slipmode
04-05-2009, 07:37 AM
I'd believe this more if you only said Saturday. It could use one more big name to bump the Killers down. Sunday is too stacked. Your friend does know that the Chems & the Orb have already been added, right?

chqp1
04-05-2009, 07:39 AM

Here's my question: If GV has more up his sleeve why on earth would he wait to tell us?

Fighting scalpers would be a good reason.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I want to preface this question by saying: I DO NOT THINK ANYONE WILL BE ADDED.

But just out of curiosity, am I remembering wrong or did Kanye West get added VIA the set times?

PierogiHead
04-05-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure that would be sweet, as I already go into hysteria when the set times are released. And my work had the NERVE to schedule me in meetings all day Tuesday of next week, so I wouldn't even be able to spend the whole day examining the set times.

Your employer scheduling you for meetings on their company time?! How dare they -- The audacity! ;)

Brickhouse
04-05-2009, 08:21 AM

But just out of curiosity, am I remembering wrong or did Kanye West get added VIA the set times?

No, word of his addition leaked via the LA Times blog. But it did happen like the day before set times came out.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-05-2009, 08:22 AM

Kanye was added 5 minutes before the set times were released...this is true.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't know if anyone noticed but this was posted in regards to the Moz/Marr....

yes, this is true.

and

ringo will be playing with Paul.

done deals .

dunno bout Sat. I am guessing U2

and if we remember...

Hey, it's me again...the central scrutinizer.

I can assure you that AMY WINEHOUSE and the KILLERS* are on board.
Prob SAT.

Bowie has officially DECLINED, which breaks my monkey heart.
I wanted that SOOOOOO much.

They are trying desperately to get Paul McCartney for Sunday.
Which is kinda weird, dunno if I care...maybe if they can zombie up
Lennon and Harrison and give Ringo 40 bux I'd be into it.

I also told you Radiohead and Coldplay are signed. Standing by that.

*suckles the lazy teat of mediocrity live, though the new album is great.

That's the McCartney confirmation. Amy Wineho will drop next,

got good news/bad news...

I loathe coldplay, therefore it pleases me that they may have fallen, unfortunately radiohead is also in doubt...

GV wants them, so that's something.

No Smiths, prob not Blur, no bowie. The word is that they're having trouble getting headliners that'll sell 50k tickets a day. Bowie would've helped.

According to my guy, "80's bands just don't sell tickets". That's why they didn't try and reunite Talking Heads. They need a big draw in this financial climate.

Makes sense to me. Really hoping for David Byrne and Eno, per-sonally.

m

so um....I still don't think anything will happen..but thought I should add to this...

sacleonard
04-05-2009, 08:33 AM
TCHY: there's the one in a million person. I'm with you... expecting nothing, but knowing that anything is still possible.

clumsy342
04-05-2009, 08:34 AM
That's interesting TCHY.. I never noticed that guy..

but who the fuuuucckkk cares about Ringo?
really? .... It's Ringo.

... ringo....

clumsy342
04-05-2009, 08:35 AM
"80's bands just don't sell tickets".

hahhaa... yet, the Killers are headlining. hhaah..

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-05-2009, 08:37 AM
That's interesting TCHY.. I never noticed that guy..

but who the fuuuucckkk cares about Ringo?
really? .... It's Ringo.

... ringo....

I want Ringo for Yellow Submarine, A Little Help From My Friends and Good Night...plus we can all say we saw 50% of the Beatles.

"COACHELLA 2009! NOW WITH 50% MORE BEATLES!!"

johnnypolite
04-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Yep. Ditto for Sean Penn.

Ardentbiscuit
04-05-2009, 08:39 AM
They're adding the Pete Best Band on Saturday.

And Yoko Ono to Sunday.

Bahahahaha!

PierogiHead
04-05-2009, 09:00 AM
In regards to the Moz/Marr reunion, I jumped over to morrissey-solo to see if there was any buzz about anything possibly going down and found these posts by a longtime board member over there. Grain of salt, as always:

SMITHS AT COACHELLA...hush hush (Score:0)
Actually... some employees of KROQ in los angeles are reporting the johnny will be attending Coachella. Not sure what the details are, but it has something to do with Franz Fernidad, but it's being said that Moz and Marr will be playing together (and taking the cash)... This will be the first Smiths performance in years. Not sure how true this is, but this is the same person who gave me a super huge heads up about No Doubt and Blink 182 reuniting before anyone.... so the guy is connected, but being my favorite band in the world...i still have my doubts. but he's so sure he made a $1000 bet with me. I hope I AM ASSED OUT $1000 G'S

my friends at KROQ are reporting that Moz & Marr are reuniting. it will happen at coachella and on mozzers bday in uk. Coachella is offering them some sick cash, so they are gonna do it. Marr is supposed to be there, it has something to do with franz fernidad and the cribs....... of course all this is hush hush, and moz wants very little publicity. think about it, if the smiths were getting back together you think they would tell the world??? No way, that is so cheesy and most bands that have done that just look like sell outs. thats not what marr and moz want..... just buy a ticket to coachella and you shall see. the ones who told me also gave me a heads up about NO DOUBT AND BLINK 182 way way before anyone, so they are deeply connected. i still don't believe, but i'm going to indio anyway.

chiapet
04-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Your employer scheduling you for meetings on their company time?! How dare they -- The audacity! ;)

hey, everyone knows it's impossible to get anything done once set times are on hand! :)

Ardentbiscuit
04-05-2009, 09:18 AM
If Morrissey/Marr or McCartney/Starr were playing don't you think they would have told somebody officially to sell tickets? The second Prince was official it was all over every media outlet. They even made an announcement on KROQ.

If we are to believe all this then we are getting a Smiths reunion and partial Beatles reunion on Friday and then some major adds on Saturday and Sunday? You realize how psychotic that sounds. I think they have put people into mental institutions for smaller dillusions than that.

I recall some of the crazy claims over the years that never came true, Sean Penn is performing with Eddie Vedder, without question The Police are playing, this is the year of Bowie, etc.

It just seems too nutty.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-05-2009, 09:22 AM
for the record. I don't think anything will happen. This year made me very pessimistic. I was just posting stuff I found. It could be that the adds were really just Ringo and Marr....if there is any more adds.

Ardentbiscuit
04-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I think it would be hilarious if Ringo Starr and Johnny Marr started a band and called it, "Starr Marr" and then played at Aqua Caliente Casino during Coachella.

AAM!!!
04-05-2009, 09:30 AM
If Marr goes onstage with Morrissey I think I will die a little. I dont believe it, but I wont be at Coach on Friday and if it really does happen...I'd be devastated

Devin the Dude
04-05-2009, 09:34 AM
i'd say that neil young rumor sounds promising, considering Booker T/DBT's. and i'd also say all the other rumors don't fuckin' matter. Moz will play your dumbass Smith's songs anyway, and Paul will just play every Beatle's tune HE wrote. makes sense.

no brickshitting though.

Jon Blazed
04-05-2009, 09:36 AM
MIA > the Killers > MJ
7Hg-IRZk4D0

Bubba hotep
04-05-2009, 09:44 AM
MIA > the Killers > MJ
7Hg-IRZk4D0

MJ would be SOOOOOOOO sick!!! This song rules IMO.

rage patton
04-05-2009, 10:11 AM
The second GV knew for sure that Johnny Marr would be joining Morrissey, the poster would be changed to read Morrissey & Marr.

Don't believe these rumours. Remember the websites and sources that claimed Pink Floyd were going to reunite at Coachella? I do.

Devin the Dude
04-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Don't believe these rumours. Remember the websites and sources that claimed Pink Floyd were going to reunite at Coachella? I do.

at least he got a good drummer for the show, though, ;)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-05-2009, 10:27 AM
The second GV knew for sure that Johnny Marr would be joining Morrissey, the poster would be changed to read Morrissey & Marr.

I know people here were talking crap...but I don't remember seeing it on any website....

rage patton
04-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Some website, I forget which one, claimed a couple weeks before the festival that Pink Floyd were going to replace Roger Waters... I think I took a screen shot... gimme a minute...

EDIT: I was right. Virgin Radio claimed Pink Floyd were going to headline. There is no date stamp on this... but Im pretty sure it was within a month of the festival.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/FloydConfirmation-1.jpg

Kerowackattack
04-05-2009, 10:34 AM
BON IVER
Grizzly Bear
Deerhunter
LCD Soundsystem 4 H&LA
The Boss

PierogiHead
04-05-2009, 11:49 AM
BON IVER

All this time, I thought he was already on the lineup. I wasn't planning on seeing him, but it was probably just one of those "M. Ward, Blitzen Trapper, Bon Iver... It's all the same..." case scenarios.

sacleonard
04-05-2009, 11:58 AM
They're adding the Pete Best Band on Saturday.

And Yoko Ono to Sunday.

Bahahahaha!

The ghost of Stu Sutcliffe will haunt the camping ground at midnight on Thursday.

benhur
04-05-2009, 12:04 PM
idk if anyone mentioned this but starr did play with mccartney in new york...i think it was last night.

goldfromla
04-05-2009, 12:08 PM
no fucking add is coming

boarderwoozel3
04-05-2009, 12:23 PM
hey, everyone knows it's impossible to get anything done once set times are on hand! :)

I really hope I don't have anything important or on a deadline that week. This was the case last year and suffice it to say my mind was elsewhere.

rage patton
04-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I really hope I don't have anything important or on a deadline that week. This was the case last year and suffice it to say my mind was elsewhere.

I have an exam the Tuesday and Wednesday before Coachella. My plane leaves for Indio 8 hours after my final exam for the semester. Needless to say, it will be struggle for me study notes, while I know I could be studying set times. Ugh.

gimpboy76
04-05-2009, 01:44 PM
idk if anyone mentioned this but starr did play with mccartney in new york...i think it was last night.

Lurker coming out to give a link to verify the above

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/beatles-paul-mccartney-ringo-starr-reunite-1003959006.story

sacleonard
04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the confirmation.

humanoid
04-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I think it would be hilarious if Ringo Starr and Johnny Marr started a band and called it, "Starr Marr" and then played at Aqua Caliente Casino during Coachella.

that would be rather funny

didimydoe3
04-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Interesting! Thank you!

scoop49er
04-05-2009, 03:01 PM
i think for a encore mccartney and starr will play together and they will bring george and john's sons out for a fun 3 song set.. its been something they have been rumored to do but i dont think they will announce anything. it will just happen. if not, no biggie.

and if marr comes out, it will just happen....

i dont think we will see any major adds. but if so, im down with it! :)

hegemon
04-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Let's pray for sumthin good....

http://web.mit.edu/cat/Desktop/cat/images/pray.jpg

haha

I might go (again) if those are really super spectacular adds.

DFrank
04-05-2009, 03:42 PM
When was the latest that there was an add to the lineup? It seems too close for something 'so amazing that you'll shit yourself' would be added now.

weeklymix
04-05-2009, 03:53 PM
^ there are plenty of threads / discussions regarding that.

kanye added right before set times is one example.

PierogiHead
04-05-2009, 04:09 PM
You know what's really funny about everyone complaining about Saturday's lineup? I spoke with an acquaintance "in the know" today who informed me that of all the days on this year's lineup, Sunday is actually the weakest selling day out of the 3, and not Saturday like everyone is suspecting. The other bad (but kind of obvious thanks to the economy) news is that this year's festival is seeing ticket sales being a lot lower overall compared to many Coachellas past.

danteb
04-05-2009, 04:12 PM
news is that this year's festival is seeing ticket sales being a lot lower overall compared to many Coachellas past.

kinda a bummer for coachella, but at least the crowds will be lighter.

HandBanana
04-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Well I hope this year doesnt kill the fest if thats true. :(

But what can ya do? Two weak headliners out of three is bad, especially when Lolla gives you six for less money. Now I dont care for Lollas headliners, but you can see how that would drive peeps' decision-making.

The Killers are weak and the buzz on the Cure is virtually nonexistant. THey have really nothing new to promote and it feels like they just played a few years ago, and they were boring then.

PierogiHead
04-05-2009, 04:19 PM
kinda a bummer for coachella, but at least the crowds will be lighter.

Yeah, that's always a plus. Also, for anyone who is wondering what I meant by "in the know," it just means that the person works for one of the festival's sponsors so they are kept in the loop about the financial state -- definitely not anybody who would have any news about who is playing or might be added.

Casino Logic
04-05-2009, 04:56 PM
It doesn't fit in with the whole "big names" thing, but could it be the Late Night Dome shows?

malcolmjamalawesome
04-05-2009, 05:10 PM
NO ADDS

Boourns
04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Well I hope this year doesnt kill the fest if thats true. :(

But what can ya do? Two weak headliners out of three is bad, especially when Lolla gives you six for less money. Now I dont care for Lollas headliners, but you can see how that would drive peeps' decision-making.

The Killers are weak and the buzz on the Cure is virtually nonexistant. THey have really nothing new to promote and it feels like they just played a few years ago, and they were boring then.

Yeah, I can understand why the excitement level about The Cure is low since they played so many shows in LA last year and their set in 2004 apparently wasn't well-received by casual Cure fans (I wasn't there), but they're a legendary band that has influenced a lot of bands. And I enjoyed their set at the Troubadour. So while they are apparently the go-to headliner when someone drops out, I'd still take them over Kings of Leon or the Killers or Jack Johnson easily.

Shame about ticket sales. I bought mine right when they went on sale :nono

HandBanana
04-05-2009, 07:05 PM
So just for fun I went and looked at the top line headliners for each year.

99 - Beck Rage Tool

01 - Janes Addiction

02 - Bjork Oasis

03 - Beastie Boys Chili Peppers

04 - Radiohead The Cure

05 - Nine Inch Nails Coldplay

06 - Depeche Mode Tool

07 - Bjork Chili Peppers Rage

08 - JJ Prince Roger Waters

Taking matters of personal taste entirely out of the equation, how can their be any scenario where The Killers do not look miles out of their league in that list of acts (JJ excepted)? Sure the economy is bad, but Glasto sold out. Roo will sell out, and I bet money Lolla will too. People that are mad on this board take it personally because we take the festival personally. We spend most of our year thinking about it, a huge amount of time not just planning for it but evangelizing about it to others too.

Yes its still going to be great, yes it will be less crowded, but I like the idea of more people coming and getting turned on to new stuff and I like the idea that our beloved fest wont shoot itself in the foot and not be around next year. The anticipated adds were meh except for the cube (and yes I mean the cube, not the man)

I just dont see how the hell we ended up here after how amazing last year was and I dont want to see this be the last year in the desert.

*SURREAL*
04-05-2009, 07:10 PM
i bet anything the person that said you will shit yourself heard it from another that said you will shit yourself , and there you go....the infamous grape vine

darkjustice
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
John Tesh will be added to Saturday

Iamjoeswastdlife
04-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Taking matters of personal taste entirely out of the equation, how can their be any scenario where The Killers do not look miles out of their league in that list of acts (JJ excepted)? Sure the economy is bad, but Glasto sold out. Roo will sell out, and I bet money Lolla will too. People that are mad on this board take it personally because we take the festival personally. We spend most of our year thinking about it, a huge amount of time not just planning for it but evangelizing about it to others too.

Yes its still going to be great, yes it will be less crowded, but I like the idea of more people coming and getting turned on to new stuff and I like the idea that our beloved fest wont shoot itself in the foot and not be around next year. The anticipated adds were meh except for the cube (and yes I mean the cube, not the man)

I just dont see how the hell we ended up here after how amazing last year was and I dont want to see this be the last year in the desert.

My beef is with the price. Most expensive festival with the least impressive line-up. Kinda fucked up. I'd go to a different one, but it'd end up being more expensive to fly or drive elsewhere.

lurker_with_a_bush
04-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I know. And I also know that on a number of occasions the lurker that posted info happened to be on the money.

No worries. I look forward to another awesome Coachella.

Well played, OP. Well played.

lurker_with_a_bush
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
NO AIDS

fix'd

psycobetabuckdown
04-05-2009, 07:52 PM

99 - Beck Rage Tool

01 - Janes Addiction

02 - Bjork Oasis

03 - Beastie Boys Chili Peppers

04 - Radiohead The Cure

05 - Nine Inch Nails Coldplay

06 - Depeche Mode Tool

07 - Bjork Chili Peppers Rage

08 - JJ Prince Roger Waters

I noticed something else thanks to your headliner list - the past couple of years, there have been two dinosaur headliners and one lame but sure-to-sell current Top-40 headliners. It's obvious to me they are running out of fresh and relevant headliners. They can't make all three headliners dinos but they also can't seem to find quality headliners under 50 years of age.

Last year the main reason the top of the bill didn't anger me was because Portishead was on it. This year is an improvement only because of McCartney, but they can't take out that bag every year. Next year I'm just hoping we can go back to headliners who aren't well past their prime.

Boourns
04-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Next year Muse or Arcade Fire will headline; most likely Muse since we already know they will be ready to tour a new album by then and they haven't played since 2004.

grind
04-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Yes its still going to be great, yes it will be less crowded, but I like the idea of more people coming and gettin

One of the best posts I've read in the past couple months since I've been swarming over the forums.

Kind of sums up what I think a lot of people are feeling.

NoGwenPlease
04-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Can you kindly shut the fuck up?

menikmati
04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Pearl Jam will be headlining next year.

Xenocide
04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
-_-
my saturday is pretty crowded
unless this is an EDM act im probably not going to see it.

(heres hoping its bassnectar)

word.

JebusLives
04-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Things to point out about the declining headliner quality:

1) Since the festival went 3 days (2007), they've needed at least 1 more headliner per year.
2) Since about 2006, North American festivals have exploded in popularity, making it harder for them to book interesting exclusives.
3) Bowie and certain fantasy reunions aside, we've pretty much had all the big ones.

I just think the days of mindbending, brag-to-your-friends headliners is over. There will still be highlights, but expect GV to toy with different ideas each year.

Having said this, Saturday is relatively pathetic rock-wise, and I'm hoping for an addition or 2.

quicksand
04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
If it's a new headliner...

PLEASE
Daft Punk
Beastie Boys
The Flaming Lips
Outkast
Bowie
Radiohead

PLEASE NO
U2
Neil Young
Bruce Springsteen
Nine Inch Nails
Janes Addiction
The White Stripes

paulb
04-05-2009, 08:36 PM

you kiss your mother with that mouth? fuck that.

HandBanana
04-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Pearl Jam would have fit perfectly this year

didimydoe3
04-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Pear jam... ahhhhh Pearl Jam...

Pearl Jam sounds like Amy Winehouse's hoohah getting shop vacuumed.

Xenocide
04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
You mean these?

whoa! we're getting toilet paper??? that's an add we coulda used last year...

I recall some of the crazy claims over the years that never came true, Sean Penn is performing with Eddie Vedder, without question The Police are playing, this is the year of Bowie, etc.

It just seems too nutty.

yeah... anyone remember last year's rumor regarding "The Gap" on the poster? (between Prince & Waters before they redid it & put JJ on the same line as them)

or everyone thinking Perry Farrell meant we were getting Jane's? (we got that rumor again this year too)

or that whole Neil Young is confirmed b.s.?

Xenocide
04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
i'll take any of these:
Portishead
Primus
The Kinks
Poe
Royksopp
Bassnectar
187 Soundsystem
Mary Magdalan
Black Mountain
Tom Petty
Tool
Led Zeppelin
Michael Jackson

but i don't want any of this shit (or next year either GV!):
Pearl Jam
Arcade Fire
Artic Monkeys
Air
Death Cab for Cutie
My Morning Jacket
Coldplay

menikmati
04-05-2009, 08:53 PM
BOARDS OF CANADA ADDED SATURDAY, HOLY FUCKKKKKKKK IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait, nevermind...

psycobetabuckdown
04-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I just think the days of mindbending, brag-to-your-friends headliners is over. There will still be highlights, but expect GV to toy with different ideas each year.

The thing is, the whole "mindbending, brag-to-your-friends" doesn't have to mean once-in-a-lifetime acts headlining every day. Coachella can be near perfect every year if they follow the formula of one noteworthy, unique, interesting or legendary headliner and two solid worthy acts. Quicksand's list (with my modifications) is a pretty good summary of the latter group, although Outkast might fall in the former. These are acts that represent the biggest (and best) acts of today's generation. Obviously, Goldenvoice can't just get any band they want to play whenever they want, but there is a pretty decent selection of fresh acts for them to choose from, some of whom haven't even played Coachella yet, let alone headlined it.

PLEASE
Daft Punk
Beastie Boys
The Flaming Lips
Outkast
Radiohead
Nine Inch Nails
Janes Addiction
The White Stripes

By the way, the past two years (09 and 08), even though I'd agree they seem to be running out of headliners, DO have "brag-to-your-friends" type headliners. So I'm not sure those days are necessarily over. They might just have to think of other ways to make it happen because they can't put Pink Floyd and The Beatles at the top of the lineup every year. Nor should they - I would get so tired of predictable Rolling Stones/The Who/U2 booking in the future and I hope they don't go that route.

psycobetabuckdown
04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
menik, stfu!

obzen
04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
this year is good-but i feel what Handbanana's saying-and the killers look weak next to the previous Coachella headliners(except jj of course and Red Hot Chili Peppers who in hindsight were really lackluster)-and even some of the past subheadliners and mid-tier acts

if Coachella 2010 headliners go the way of-interpol/muse/the white stripes/the arcade fire/kings of leon/wilco next year-it will fail and ill be laughing at all the lame fucks in attendance while i save a thousand bucks

with that said,i think the big one will hit the greater Los Angeles area in early 2010 and the festival will subsequently be cancelled do to 'complications'-either that or itll be a charity/disaster relief festival and the best lineup Coachella has ever conjured will emerge,having attracted the worlds biggest/best acts for a greater cause and we all live happily ever after...

:yyablo
fin

benhur
04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
gay man...real cock suckin faggotry

benhur
04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
EDIT: oh wait, im a douche bag

seandlr
04-05-2009, 09:06 PM

i really hope not

seandlr
04-05-2009, 09:08 PM
By the way, the past two years (09 and 08), even though I'd agree they seem to be running out of headliners, DO have "brag-to-your-friends" type headliners. So I'm not sure those days are necessarily over. They might just have to think of other ways to make it happen because they can't put Pink Floyd and The Beatles at the top of the lineup every year. Nor should they - I would get so tired of predictable Rolling Stones/The Who/U2 booking in the future and I hope they don't go that route.

wow, i always think about that

sacleonard
04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
To be honest, since Coachella added the third day, this is the first year that I'll probably see all three headliners. I only watched 1.25 in 2007 (RATM and the end of Bjork --- after Sonic Youth), and I skipped JJ last year.

I think that The Killers are certainly weaker than the other two headliners. However, they are on par with the weakest headliner of the last two years (JJ and RHCP). I am hopeful for a surprise, but not expecting any changes.

All this being said, if you're going for the headliners, you're doing it wrong.

BootsyGraham
04-05-2009, 11:04 PM
To be honest, since Coachella added the third day, this is the first year that I'll probably see all three headliners. I only watched 1.25 in 2007 (RATM and the end of Bjork --- after Sonic Youth), and I skipped JJ last year.

I think that The Killers are certainly weaker than the other two headliners. However, they are on par with the weakest headliner of the last two years (JJ and RHCP). I am hopeful for a surprise, but not expecting any changes.

All this being said, if you're going for the headliners, you're doing it wrong.

That sonic youth show is in my top 3 shows that I've ever seen.

slipmode
04-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Not to say Beck is on par with the Killers, but in '99 would people have made the same complaint about him being "headliner" worthy?

Devin the Dude
04-06-2009, 12:42 AM
naw. nobody complains when beck hansen enters a room.

psychoc&ndy
04-06-2009, 01:16 AM
this year is good-but i feel what Handbanana's saying-and the killers look weak next to the previous Coachella headliners(except jj of course and Red Hot Chili Peppers who in hindsight were really lackluster)-and even some of the past subheadliners and mid-tier acts

if Coachella 2010 headliners go the way of-interpol/muse/the white stripes/the arcade fire/kings of leon/wilco next year-it will fail and ill be laughing at all the lame fucks in attendance while i save a thousand bucks

with that said,i think the big one will hit the greater Los Angeles area in early 2010 and the festival will subsequently be cancelled do to 'complications'-either that or itll be a charity/disaster relief festival and the best lineup Coachella has ever conjured will emerge,having attracted the worlds biggest/best acts for a greater cause and we all live happily ever after...

fin

this is complete nonsense

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 04:21 AM
I don't think next year should be as big of a worry as this year was. Before the lineup was announced, a lot of us work racking our heads and couldn't come up with 3 feasible headliners. That, and the economy was on everyone's mind. Next year the possibility of the following (not all headliners) acts is more likely:

Radiohead
Daft Punk
Muse
Belle and Sebastian
The White Stripes
Arcade Fire
Interpol (possibly "next years Killers" if they put out another lame album like the last one)
Pavement
Blur

There's 9 top tier acts right there that GV should have no excuse about not booking come next year. They'll probably give Amy Winehouse another chance, on top of it. Another issue is that we've reached the end stages of "the reunion era", since most bands left to reunite are either not at all that important/big/popular or just will never ever reunite ever.

Who knows -- they might just consolidate it back to two days if the goings get really tough.

Bubba hotep
04-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Prediction U2 to be added after Rose bowl sells out in 30 seconds this morning at 10:00 a.m.

Bubba hotep
04-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Second prediction: Coachella board fans go mental, sighting oldchella and how mad they are that the biggest rock band in the world was added to their indie festival.

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Second prediction: Coachella board fans go mental, sighting oldchella and how mad they are that the biggest rock band in the world was added to their indie festival.

Unless you live driving distance away from Indio, I don't think even U2 would magically make tickets fly out the door or cause a rise among festivalgoers less than 2 weeks away from the festival. You'd need something of shock value, once in a lifetime and hotly unthinkable to do so like a Smiths reunion.

WALRUS
04-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Oh shit...if this is true and one or two big names are added...i will be truly happy...BUT....NO NEIL YOUNG, please,

WALRUS
04-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Pear jam... ahhhhh Pearl Jam...

Pearl Jam sounds like Amy Winehouse's hoohah getting shop vacuumed.

what an asshole......pearl jam is one of the reasons for coachella's existance.......fucker

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 08:16 AM
what an asshole......pearl jam is one of the reasons for coachella's existance.......fucker

Yes, all very true. Considering they have never even played the festival once, yet.

HandBanana
04-06-2009, 08:21 AM
He's referring to PJ being the first band ever to play the polo fields.
GV set them up out there as an alternative to Ticketmaster-controlled venues in the mid 90s.

That was the acorn of Coachella.

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
GV set them up out there as an alternative to Ticketmaster-controlled venues in the mid 90s.

Ohhhhhh... See, I was like 10 when that happened. Sorry about that.

djandrews25
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM

lol

Boourns
04-06-2009, 08:36 AM

Too bad the fields ended up selling out to ticketmaster.

Bonovan
04-06-2009, 08:38 AM

fin

Could you summarize in 30 words or less??? :confused:

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Unless you live driving distance away from Indio, I don't think even U2 would magically make tickets fly out the door or cause a rise among festivalgoers less than 2 weeks away from the festival. You'd need something of shock value, once in a lifetime and hotly unthinkable to do so like a Smiths reunion.

I think you misunderestimate the selling power of U2.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 08:41 AM

If U2 were every added this indeed would happen...then all the people talking trash would watch it...

sacleonard
04-06-2009, 08:42 AM

Exactly. They may not have the "wow" factor on this board, but they will drive a ton of sales for the general public.

Juliancito
04-06-2009, 08:43 AM
lol

dj andrews...dont tell me that you dont like pearl jam

HandBanana
04-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Ohhhhhh... See, I was like 10 when that happened. Sorry about that.

You only know about things that happened after you were, say, 16?

Cmon dood. INTARNET MOAR!

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 08:44 AM

I think you misunderestimate the selling power of Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior.

sacleonard
04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
That sonic youth show is in my top 3 shows that I've ever seen.

Yeah, that was a really good show, and I have no regrets for leaving Interpol / missing most of Bjork. My #1 Sonic Youth memory (not necessarily #1 show) was when they opened for Pearl Jam... Kim's mother had a health issue, so she and Thurston flew back to NYC.... Eddie Vedder sat in as guest vocalist.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I think you misunderestimate the selling power of Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior.

He has sold over a billion books you know....

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Yeah, but adding Him would only add more fire to the fuel of those critics singling out one headliner a year as being a part of "Dinosaurchella."

Bonovan
04-06-2009, 08:49 AM

WWJD?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 08:51 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/im_with_the_dj_postcard-p239737753383900370qibm_400.jpg

Miroir Noir
04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
If U2 were every added this indeed would happen...then all the people talking trash would watch it...
I believe that even the most jaded of hipsters would be genuinely delighted upon hearing the first few chords of "Where the Streets Have No Name" ring out over the Polo Grounds from the Edge's guitar.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I believe that even the most jaded of hipsters would be genuinely delighted upon hearing the first few chords of "Where the Streets Have No Name" ring out over the Polo Grounds from the Edge's guitar.

of course...but they would never admit it...it would take away from their hipster cred.

Bonovan
04-06-2009, 09:00 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/im_with_the_dj_postcard-p239737753383900370qibm_400.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/hillmaste/Holidays/christ-what-a-morning.gif

Rasputin1981
04-06-2009, 09:07 AM
And it's 10:07... No U2, right?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I still in line on ticketmaster....

niksterg11
04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Yep, ticketmaster hasn't spit me out yet. Been fluctuating between 10-15 mins.

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
of course...but they would never admit it...it would take away from their hipster cred.

Both of you are wrong. If a hipster truly, truly disdains U2 and thinks it will jeopardize their hipster cred, they will without a doubt not go watch them. A true hipster is that fickle and that grounded in their views. Where you are possibly succeeding is in the bastardized genre of "hipsters" who are just young, suburbanite yuppie transplants who are so easily influenced by fashion trends sold to them in catalogs and music that they can only "discover" through their favorite under-the-radar blog. These types of hipsters are not hipsters at all, but are just a lazy fabrication of the hipsterlifestyle much like emo became in the early 2000s. I bet most of these "hipsters" are just grown up "emo" kids.

The bottom line is that a true hipster makes their identity with their own bare hands, does the deep digging by themselves, takes the fashion chance or music style implementation that someone else already hasn't.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Yep, ticketmaster hasn't spit me out yet. Been fluctuating between 10-15 mins.

I pulled tickets for $251. And clicked search again cuz I don't have that kind of cash on hand...

Hempey
04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I scored some GA tickets for $58 for the Boston show. Pretty excited about that.

Miroir Noir
04-06-2009, 09:45 AM
If - and it is of course a big if - U2 does get added, there's no guarantee that it happens as soon as the Rose Bowl officially sells out today. There is a strong liklihood that they'll add another date at the Rose Bowl, especially if they're not doing shows in San Diego or Anahiem like they did in 2005. Adding second dates seems to be a pretty common practice for them on this tour.

The discussion above underscores why U2 could be a huge draw for Coachella: GA setting has been at a premium (in terms of availibility, not price) for all of their 00-era tours. In addition to the mainstream that they bring in, a festival setting would also be a massive draw for the hardcore U2 fanbase for several reasons: the promise of widely available GA seating, the fact that it would be their first mainland American concert date since December of 2005, and the historical backdrop of the setting as it relates to the band's mythology (e.g., a few miles away from Joshua Tree National Park).

PassiveTheory
04-06-2009, 09:50 AM
U2? Seriously?

I can slightly understand the never-ending stream of bullshit crying complaints about niche acts not playing the festival this year, even some headliner-esque acts (the Jane's Addictions of the world), but U2? Now we're scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

JebusLives
04-06-2009, 09:50 AM
So how is U2 supposed to get out of their exclusivity agreement with Live Nation? Has this been discussed already?

HandBanana
04-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Jesus people.
U2 arent coming.
Were not getting any more adds.
The adds we got were meh.
Attendance is gonna top out at 30,000 a day.
Coachella returns next year obnoxiously sponsored up the ass on every flat surface or not at all.

Live it up this time bitchez, cuz its all goin down!

Bonovan
04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
...... In addition to the mainstream that they bring in, a festival setting would also be a massive draw for the hardcore U2 fanbase for several reasons: ..... and the historical backdrop of the setting as it relates to the band's mythology (e.g., a few miles away from Joshua Tree National Park).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/Gabygold_00/U2/Cds/U2_-_The_Yoshua_Tree-back.jpg

KungFuJay
04-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Guys, I know who the last minute additions are going to be!

chqp1
04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Guys, I know who the last minute additions are going to be!

We all waited for this post. ty.

bigc1
04-06-2009, 10:13 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/Gabygold_00/U2/Cds/U2_-_The_Yoshua_Tree-back.jpg

overrated

KungFuJay
04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
We all waited for this post. ty.

The last minute additions will be.....

(drumroll)......

FUCKING NO ONE

AlecEiffel
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM

(drumroll)......

FUCKING NO ONE

and Bassenectar too, right?

Bonovan
04-06-2009, 10:18 AM

(drumroll)......

sgZGUgyYT0o

FurtherDownTheRabbitHole
04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Fucking No One is one of my favorite bands, their album Fucking Everyone is like, the greatest album of all time.

KungFuJay
04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
and Bassenectar too, right?

They would qualify as "a" FUCKING NO ONE.

HandBanana
04-06-2009, 10:22 AM
There is no rescue helicopter coming.
Convince yourself that you like The Cure. Quickly!

AlecEiffel
04-06-2009, 10:23 AM
They would qualify as "a" FUCKING NO ONE.

SNAP.

Boourns
04-06-2009, 10:27 AM
sgZGUgyYT0o

FjeMDvCdrtc

Zippy024
04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I honestly don't understand the disdain for U2 on this message board, unless its because they are over 40. I would be excited to see them do Coachella, but doubt it will happen. They don't need to do festivals and I already have my GA tickets for the Rose Bowl in October. And if they were announced as a headliner for Saturday, Coachella would sell out the afternoon of the announcement.

Bring on the flames, hipsters!

bigc1
04-06-2009, 10:34 AM
MoJoChXJXog

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Damn, I just looked at the latest on Lollapalooza's lineup (Modest Mouse just confirmed) and although it's more mainstream and expected, it kind of still has me an awe of how easily they get known excitable names. I know Coachella is in the business of being unique, eclectic and discovering new music, but I'm a bit envious of how their low-tier acts are beginning to become the equivalent of our upper-tier acts.

Cdubby
04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
teen sensations....JUPITERS RING!!!!!!

bring them back as the late add, plz psychic frenz

paganman7
04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I honestly don't understand the disdain for U2 on this message board, unless its because they are over 40. I would be excited to see them do Coachella, but doubt it will happen. They don't need to do festivals and I already have my GA tickets for the Rose Bowl in October. And if they were announced as a headliner for Saturday, Coachella would sell out the afternoon of the announcement.

Bring on the flames, hipsters!

I don't get it either homie. Aside from a handful of terrible pop singles, their discography is mind-numbingly good. If Joshua Tree is not in your top 5 all time favorite albums, you have serious personal issues.

AlecEiffel
04-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't get it either homie. Aside from a handful of terrible pop singles, their discography is mind-numbingly good. If Joshua Tree is not in your top 5 all time favorite albums, you have serious personal issues.

I'm genuinely surprised to read this sentiment coming from a guy who takes every opportunity he gets to mention that he doesn't like Paul McCartney. Not insulting you at all, just didn't expect it.

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Paganman, with that I must now admit that I suffer from such problems. I apparently have personal issues that must be addressed due to the fact that I haven't even listened to Joshua Tree once in my life. Because of this, I will be seeking help and therapy for my evident problem instead of attending this year's Coachella. Thank you for diagnosing any possible health issues that I was unaware of based on the existance of a record. I hope to return to mankind a better person after a round of therapy which will most likely include listening to said album. You are a true medical hero.

WALRUS
04-06-2009, 10:42 AM

(drumroll)......

FUCKING NO ONE

jaja very cleaver...stupid fucker...

AlecEiffel
04-06-2009, 10:43 AM
You may not have ever sat down and listened to Joshua Tree, but I bet you've heard most of it before.

KungFuJay
04-06-2009, 10:45 AM
jaja very cleaver...stupid fucker...

No, this is very cleaver:

http://www.tvcrazy.net/images/beaver.jpg

And you, I believe, are the stupid fucker.

Rasputin1981
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
You'd think we could at least get the Jackson 5 or something

AlecEiffel
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
You'd think we could at least get the Jackson 5 or something

Yeah, because that wouldn't cost millions of dollars and end up being an unwatchable, embarrassing mess.

WALRUS
No, this is very cleaver:

http://www.tvcrazy.net/images/beaver.jpg

And you, I believe, are the stupid fucker.

OK clever, not cleaver....but you understand it......."the last minute additions will be.." what the fuck is wrong with you, you think you are funny, are you retard, stupid asshole,

Zippy024
I am sad for you PierogiHead. :(

JebusLives
04-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Daydream Nation, Loveless, OK Computer, Psychocandy, The Downward Spiral. That's 5, but I could keep going... Joshua Tree might be in my top 1000, I suppose. Guess I have personal issues.

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I am sad for you PierogiHead. :(

I just went through the tracklisting -- kind of egh. "With or Without You" is half decent. I don't care all that much for pop-weighted rock bands I guess, no matter how influential. I don't even like The Beatles.

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Daydream Nation, Loveless, OK Computer, Psychocandy, The Downward Spiral. That's 5, but I could keep going... Joshua Tree might be in my top 1000, I suppose. Guess I have personal issues.

I'm with this guy. I don't completely agree with his Top 5, but I'd rather be stuck on a desert island with his CD collection than Pagan's.

Zippy024
04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
"I just went through the tracklisting -- kind of egh. "With or Without You" is half decent. I don't care all that much for pop-weighted rock bands I guess, no matter how influential. I don't even like The Beatles." - PierogiHead

I guess they are a little before your time. I saw them first time on tv doing the LiveAid show and I've been hooked ever since.

Any new add would be great but I'm already concerned with how bands will be overlapping.

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I guess they are a little before your time. I saw them first time on tv doing the LiveAid show and I've been hooked ever since.

I want to now thank the board for making me feel young today because I've only been dwelling on feeling oh so old as of late. So far today, I've been informed that I was 10 when Pearl Jam played the Polo Fields and now we're talking about watching U2 do LiveAid when I was probably still sporting G.I. Joe underwear.

jpena6
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
FjeMDvCdrtc

Best cover ever. Hilarious.

HandBanana
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
That U2 Live Aid set was great.

Bono hadnt quite become such a cartoon yet, so it was pretty endearing at the time to see him break the perfomer/audience wall like that.

sleepybrew
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
i love how every year, no one on the boards is satisfied leading up to the festival. then when its done, you all come back and talk about how epic and amazing it was. it doesnt take bowie or smiths or radiohead for it to be epic. personally, i'm in mental bliss/anguish right now cause i love the anticipation the last 2 weeks before the show, yet also keep wishing the days would pass so i would finally be on the fields. but then that means the show would be over soon. i guess i'm trying to say just enjoy the ride, enjoy the bands that are there this year, have fun speculating for NEXT year, and enjoy the memories from previous years.

by the way: coachella 2009 I'd like underworld, sleepy sun and radiohead. i think thats moderately reasonable ;)

Zippy024
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I want to now thank the board for making me feel young today because I've only been dwelling on feeling oh so old as of late. So far today, I've been informed that I was 10 when Pearl Jam played the Polo Fields and now we're talking about watching U2 do LiveAid when I was probably still sporting G.I. Joe underwear.

Glad to be of service. :) Now I feel really old.

PierogiHead
04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Glad to be of service. :) Now I feel really old.

Not "old", just more musically educated, that's all.

Zippy024
04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Not "old", just more musically educated, that's all.

That's a nice way to put it.

Casino Logic
04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I have confirmation...

Huell Howser Late Night set in The Do-Lab

sorry... I just had to

Honestly, now that I think about it, I would probably watch this.

bobert
04-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Funny, I'd say the same thing about someone who loathes McCartney and the Beatles.

didimydoe3
04-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Hm. You'd think that Pearl Jam would attend the festival they helped "create" at least once right?

Yeahhh... and that's how good their music is. They can crawl back into the asshole of a city they came from.

Whiny 90's has-beens.

AlecEiffel
04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Is your screen name a Matches reference? It has to be.

HandBanana
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Who wants to party in my tent?
Ill be wearing one of these.

Come alone....

bMILeETJvsg

psycobetabuckdown
04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I honestly don't understand the disdain for U2 on this message board, unless its because they are over 40.

It's not just the message board, it's real life too. Most people I've ever talked to about U2 hate them. U2 are boring and some of their 2000's singles have been almost as laughable as "Human." And I can't stand Bono's Jesus complex. I watched the "Where the Streets" music video and apparently he had the Jesus complex back then too and it oozes through the music like a poison. I want to slap Bono's eye shadow off his droopy old eyes.

Yes, I realize a lot of people like them, but that's not really the point. A lot of people like lots of shitty bands.

AlecEiffel
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I'd say that "Vertigo" is even more laughable than "Human".

Blinken
04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I'd say that "Vertigo" is even more laughable than "Human".

No. not at all.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I heard Bono eating a bag of Dortios will headline over the Killers Saturday....

KungFuJay
04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
"Vertigo" is one of the worst songs ever.

On an unrelated note, I seriously don't think there will be any more adds. That being said, I just got this email from The Dead Weather:

Don't miss The Dead Weather's first public show! Tickets for their April 14th show at The Bowery Ballroom in NYC go on sale this Wednesday, April 8th, at 10 am EST HERE. Please note that the link won’t be active until the show goes on sale, there is a 2 ticket limit per person.

If there was a cool/unique/actually practical (The Kills will already be there) act that was added, I would say that this makes the most sense. Not that it makes them likely by any stretch of the imagination, just throwing that out there FWIW.